|“||The Italians call them Strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them Iya, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them Häxa. And here, we call them witch. Over the centuries vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally they have been a force to be reckoned with.||”|
— Elijah on the Witches
A witch is a man or woman with the power to affect change by magical means (Witchcraft).
The Balance of Nature
The Balance of Nature is a spiritual belief system based around the observance of the Earth and reverence of Mother Nature. The goal of many witches is to honor the design of nature and to maintain balance within the natural world. The balance of nature is intimately tied to one's spiritual relationship with the Earth, and the idea that all living things (e.g. animals, humans, plants, etc.) are considered sacred, as they are all different aspects of nature. Contemporary witches would also agree that using modern ceremonies, rituals and shamanic practices is the best way to attune themselves with the natural rhythms of the universe in their efforts to obtain guidance and knowledge from wiser known witches called "The Spirits". However, according to Gloria, who referred to herself as "old-school voodoo", it is implied that not all witches follow this belief system, and have the freewill to choose how they wish to practice their power.
The origin of witchcraft remains unknown, however it is known that witches have existed for many centuries passing down their knowledge and skills through generations of family lines. Contrary to popular belief, witches do not receive their powers from demons, nor do they worship the devil. Instead, witches consider themselves "The Servants of Nature", as they make it their duty to maintain balance within the world.
Magic is a practice of witchcraft that encompasses many different types of activities including astrology, divination, spell casting, and spirit communication. It includes the practices of many cultures, nations and religions as well as many books and writings from ancient times. Depending upon the individual, some witches practice their power by certain belief systems, such as Shamanism, Voodoo, Wicca, or any number of other magical practices from countries and cultures all around the world. Although the majority of traditional witches are commonly portrayed as being kind and selfless humans who use their powers to maintain balance within the world; in the case of Esther and Qetsiyah, it has been proven that some witches are independent thinkers who may go against the Balance of Nature by practicing their powers for dark and sinister deeds.
Ancestral Magic is an extremely powerful form of witchcraft that is commonly used among the witches of New Orleans. Similar to spirit magic, this form of sorcery draws its energy from the power of every witch who has been consecrated into New Orleans soil. However, according to Sophie Deveraux, this power can only be harnessed within the boundaries of New Orleans, meaning that should the witch abandon the area, they will be rendered powerless.
Dark Magic (or Black Magic) is an extremely powerful form of sorcery that draws on malevolent powers, and may be used for negative purposes (e.g. to cause destruction or misfortune, to injure or kill, or for the profit of oneself rather than for the benefit of others.) In popular usage, the term "dark magic" is often used to describe any form of sorcery that is used against the Balance of Nature.
Expression is an extremely powerful form of sorcery that draws on dark energy that is so malicious it would supposedly demolish the world if it were ever called into existence. The details and history of expression remain unknown, however according to a witch named Nandi, the forces of expression are considered so powerful that many witches discredit it as magic, for it expands beyond the limitations of both ancient and modern witchcraft.
Kemiya is a form of magic found originally in Arabia that allows the user to change the elemental foundation of an object, and also allows them to imbue said creations with magic, creating a dark object. It crosses the boundary between magic and science, utilizing aspects of both.
Sacrificial Magic is a very powerful form of sorcery that is highly dependent upon the ritualistic sacrifices of supernatural creatures. Similar to expression, this form of sorcery draws its energy from the power of every supernatural creature that is sacrificed.
Spirit Magic was a very powerful form of sorcery that drew its energy from the Spirits who resided on the Other Side. Unlike other forms of magic, spirit magic can only be used how the Spirits see fit. If a witch abuses the power that is bestowed upon them, the Spirits may break their connection to the witch, preventing them from further harnessing their power. Since the collapse of the Other Side, spirit magic has become extinct.
Traditional magic is one of the oldest and purest forms of sorcery inherent to the Earth and the forces of nature. Traditional magic is undoubtedly the most popular form of witchcraft known-to-man, however it is also the most exhausting. This is mainly due to the fact whenever a witch uses this power they must exert their own energy, causing them to experience symptoms of dizziness, fatigue, and minor nosebleeds. Bonnie Bennett explained the limits of this power to Jeremy Gilbert, saying that if she pushed too hard, it would push back.
Traveler Magic is a default form of sorcery that is strictly practiced by a subculture of witches known as the Travelers. This form of sorcery specializes in spirit possession and its spells are cast in a language different from all other forms of witchcraft. Traveler magic is highly dependent upon the innate magic of the Traveler along with their connection to other Travelers. Only by joining together are Travelers able to perform powerful feats of magic. Without access to the magic of other Travelers, they are virtually powerless.
Powers and Abilities
- Channeling: The act of invoking or summoning extra forms of energy by focusing on external forces.
- Divination: The act of divining future, past, and present events based off extrasensory perception.
- Clairvoyance: The practice of divination through the perception of emotions, objects, people, or physical phenomena.
- Intuition: The practice of divination through the use of instinctive knowledge.
- Mediumship: The practice of communicating with the spirits of the dead.
- Premonitions: The practice of divination through the observation and study of dreams.
- Psychometry: The practice of divination through contact with or proximity to a certain object or person.
- Special Psychic Gifts: The practice of divination through powers that are unique unto the witch. Davina Claire could sense the use of magic and also the location of the witch. Monique Deveraux could sense whether or not someone was lying, while her aunt, Sophie Deveraux, could sense whether or not someone was pregnant.
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, and water.
- Mind Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the minds of humans. (Similar to Compulsion)
- Mind Stunning: The act of bemusing and rendering someone unconscious
- Pain Infliction: The act of creating and inflicting excruciating pain upon another person, especially vampires.
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and controlling events through the use of charms, hexes, rituals, etc.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movement of objects and persons through mental influence.
- Witches Brew: The act of brewing and concocting magical potions.
Spells and Rituals
- For a complete list of spells and rituals, visit Spells and Rituals.
- Amulets: An object that is commonly used to amplify a witch's power.
- Athames: A ceremonial dagger with a double-edged blade that is commonly used to direct energy.
- Candles: A block of solid wax with an embedded wick that is commonly lit to to amplify a witch’s spell.
- Cauldrons: A large metal pot that is commonly used to hold the ingredients for elixirs and potions.
- Grimoire: A family journal is documented with magical recipes, rituals, and spells.
- Disbelief: The act of denying or disbelieving in ones magical potential could cause a witch to inadvertently suppress their paranormal power.
- Fear: A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the condition or feeling of being afraid could cause a witch to involuntarily block their own powers for a short time.
- Mortality: Based off the fact that witches are still human, they share many of the same weaknesses as non-supernatural beings (e.g. age, decapitation, disease, heart-failure, suffocation, etc.)
- Overexertion: The excessive use of magic could lead to disorientation, nose bleeds, unconsciousness, and if taken to the extreme, death.
- "Witches have a connection to the Earth. We can literally feel nature."
- — Bonnie Bennett
The relationship between the Earth and the witches is a very deep and spiritual connection. While the majority of witches seem to respect the Earth with just as much commitment and reverence as religious factions do about their churches or mosques, it has been proven that not all witches share this belief and have made malevolent acts against the Balance of Nature.
The relationship between humans and witches is generally a positive relationship, although this was not always the case. Throughout the past, over half of the human population lived in fear of the supernatural community. This fear caused many of the human parents to teach their children to hate and persecute all creatures who were different from them, especially witches. This eventually lead to some of the world's most infamous witch trails that massacred hundreds (possibly thousands) of witches. While it has been implied that more than half of those who were accused were entirely innocent, according to Elijah Mikaelson, many of those who were killed in Mystic Falls were true witches. Throughout the centuries, it appears that the belief in occult has dramatically declined to the point where Sheila Bennett suggested that many humans like to poke fun at witchcraft.
- "Witches talk, even on the Other Side. Who do you think makes all the rules?"
- — Sheila Bennett
- "They're more like the ugly stepsister."
- — Liv Parker
- "Witches being pulled down by vampire problems...as much as we tried to do to stay out of it."
- — Sheila Bennett
The relationship between werewolves and witches is a neutral to negative relationship. Werewolves and witches have been shown to be at odds more than allies. Apparently the two species did once have a strong relationship with one another, however this was ruined with the inception of the vampires.
- "Well the way he sees it all witches are family. We're all bonded together by a code of loyalty to help each other."
- — Luka Martin
|Qetsiyah||Qetsiyah is one of the most powerful witches in the history of time who is notably known for the creation of the immortality spell and the Other Side.||Dead|
|Silas||Silas was supposedly an extremely powerful witch who is notably known for becoming the very first Immortal.||Dead|
|Markos||Markos was an ancient witch and also the leader of the Traveler subculture.||Dead|
|Ayana||Ayana was the best friend and mentor of Esther Mikaelson and also a very powerful ancestor of the Bennett family.||Dead|
|Dahlia||Dahlia was the elder sister of Esther Mikaelson and also a very powerful witch.||Unknown|
|Esther Mikaelson||Esther Mikaelson is an extremely powerful witch who is notably known for the creation the Original family of vampires.||Possession of Lenore|
|Freya Mikaelson||The firstborn child of Esther and Mikael was a witch who was taken by her mother's sister, Dahlia.||Unknown|
|Finn Mikaelson||Finn Mikaelson was a witch before his transition into an Original vampire.||Possession of Vincent|
|Elijah Mikaelson||Elijah Mikaelson was a witch before his transition into an Original vampire.||Undead|
|Kol Mikaelson||Kol Mikaelson was a witch before his transition into an Original vampire.||Possession of Kaleb|
|Rebekah Mikaelson||Rebekah Mikaelson was a witch before her transition into an Original vampire.||Undead|
|The Witch of The Five||The Witch of the Five was a very powerful witch who is notably known for the creation of the Brotherhood of the Five.||Dead|
|Mr. Petrova was the father of Katerina Petrova and also a non-practicing Traveler witch.||Dead|
|Katerina Petrova||Katerina Petrova was a witch of the Traveler subculture before her transition into a vampire.||Dead|
|Nadia Petrova||Nadia Petrova was a witch of the Traveler subculture before her transition into a vampire.||Dead|
|Ysabelle Dalliencourt||Ysabelle was a French Quarter witch.||Dead|
|Vivianne Lescheres||Vivianne was a French Quarter witch.||Dead|
|Celeste Dubois||Celeste Dubois was a very powerful witch of the French Quarter who was notably known for the possession of multiple bodies over the course of a hundred years.||Dead|
|Emily Bennett||Emily Bennett was a very powerful ancestor of the Bennett family who lived during the 19th century.||Dead|
|Mary-Alice Claire||Mary-Alice Claire is a French Quarter witch and also a relative of Davina Claire.||Dead|
|Astrid||Astrid was a French Quarter witch.||Dead|
|Brynne Deveraux||Brynne Deveraux was one of the many witches who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Dead|
|Isabella Joffrey||Isabella was one of the many witches who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Dead|
|Philomena||Philomena was one of the many witches who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Dead|
|Annie La Fleur||Annie La Fluer was one of the many witches who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Dead|
|Papa Tunde||Papa Tunde was a very powerful practitioner of sacrificial magic.||Dead|
|Genevieve||Genevieve was an very powerful witch of the French Quarter.||Dead|
|Clara Summerlin||Clara Summerlin was one of the many witches who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Dead|
|Gloria||Gloria was a very powerful witch who is notably known for her longevity spells.||Dead|
|Valerie LaMarche||Valerie LaMarche was a very powerful witch of the French Quarter who tricked Damon Salvatore into killing twelve innocent people so that she could have access to Expression.||Dead|
|Nandi LaMarche||Nandi LaMarche is the daughter of Val LaMarche and also a powerful witch of the French Quarter.||Alive|
|Bastianna Natale||Bastianna was a powerful Elder witch of the French Quarter.||Dead|
|Agnes||Agnes was a powerful Elder witch of the French Quarter.||Dead|
|Sheila Bennett||Sheila Bennett was the grandmother of Bonnie Bennett and also a very powerful witch.||Dead|
|Mr. Parker||Mr. Parker is a powerful witch who is notably known for the incarceration of his son Kai. He is also the father of Jo, Luke and Liv.||Alive|
|Lenore||Lenore is a French Quarter witch who is currently under the possession of Esther Mikaelson.||Unconscious|
|Mrs. Claire||Mrs. Claire was a French Quarter witch and also the mother of Davina Claire.||Dead|
|Jonas Martin||Dr. Jonas Martin was a very powerful witch and also the father of Greta and Luka Martin.||Dead|
|Bree||Bree was a close friend of Alexis Branson and also a witch.||Dead|
|Malachai||Malachai is a mischievous witch who was trapped inside of a mysterious dimension as punishment for the massacre of his family.||Unknown|
|Josette Laughlin||Josette "Jo" Laughlin is a non-practicing witch and also the twin sister of Malachai.||Alive|
|Abby Bennett Wilson||Abby Bennett was a powerful witch who is notably known for the desiccation of the Original vampire, Mikael.||Undead|
|Aja||Aja was a powerful witch and also a former friend of Abby Bennett Wilson.||Dead|
|Massak||Massak was a witch in association with Atticus Shane.||Dead|
|Jane-Anne Deveraux||Jane-Anne Deveraux was the mother of Monique Deveraux, sister of Sophie Deveraux and also a powerful witch of the French Quarter.||Dead|
|Sloan||Sloan was a witch of the Traveler subculture.||Dead|
|Julian||Julian was a witch of the Traveler subculture who took possession of Tyler Lockwood.||Dead|
|Maria||Maria was a a witch of the Traveler subculture and also the loving wife of Julian.||Dead|
|Gregor||Gregor was a witch of the Traveler subculture and also the boyfriend of Nadia Petrova.||Dead|
|Lucy||Lucy is a powerful witch of the Bennett family.||Alive|
|Maddox||Maddox was a powerful witch and former servant of Niklaus Mikaelson.||Dead|
|Caitlin Shane||Caitlin Shane was the wife of Atticus Shane and also a powerful practitioner of Expression.||Dead|
|Vincent||Vincent is a very powerful witch of the French Quarter who is currently under the possession of Finn Mikaelson.||Unconscious|
|Mia||Mia was a witch of the Traveler subculture.||Dead|
|Sabine Laurent||Sabine Laurent was the last witch who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Dead|
|Sophie Deveraux||Sophie Deveraux was the maternal aunt of Monique Deveraux, sister of Jean-Anne Deveraux and also an Elder witch of the French Quarter.||Dead|
|Katie||Katie was a French Quarter witch.||Dead|
|Greta Martin||Greta Martin was a powerful witch and former servant of Niklaus Mikaelson.||Dead|
|Olivia Parker||Olivia "Liv" Parker is a powerful witch and also the twin sister of Luke Parker and younger sister of Jo and Malachai.||Alive|
|Lucas Parker||Lucas "Luke" Parker is a powerful witch and also the twin brother of Liv Parker and also younger brother of Jo and Malachai.||Alive|
|Annie Nelson||Annie Nelson is a friend of Luke Parker and also a witch who is mysteriously unable to practice witchcraft.||Alive|
|Hazel||Hazel was a witch in association with Liv and Luke Parker.||Dead|
|Luka Martin||Luka Martin was a powerful witch and also a former friend of Bonnie Bennett.||Dead|
|Bonnie Bennett||Bonnie Bennett is an extremely powerful witch of the Bennett family.||Unknown|
|Kaleb||Kaleb is a witch of the French Quarter who is currently under the possession of Kol Mikaelson.||Unconscious|
|Davina Claire||Davina Claire is the adoptive daughter of Marcel Gerald, best friend of Joshua Rosza and also a very powerful Harvest witch.||Alive|
|Monique Deveraux||Monique Deveraux was the daughter of Jane-Anne Deveraux, maternal niece of Sophie Deveraux and also a very powerful Harvest witch.||Dead|
|Abigail||Abigail was a very powerful Harvest witch.||Dead|
|Cassie||Cassie is a Harvest witch who, until recently, was under the possession of Esther Mikaelson.||Alive|
- According to Abby Bennett Wilson, all magic is monitored by nature and has consequential effects. She explained this to her daughter, Bonnie Bennett, when she informed her of how she always dreamt of a normal life and how after she defeated an Original vampire named Mikael, she made the decision to abandon her family in order to live the life she so desperately desired outside of Mystic Falls. As punishment for deserting her lineage, Abby said that it was nature (not the Spirits) that slowly took away her magic until she was completely powerless.
- According to Bonnie Bennett, almost all witches have a spiritual connection to the elements of the Earth and the forces of nature. Since most witches derive their magic from nature, Bonnie explained how witches can literally feel the essence of life itself.
- According to Emily Bennett, vampirism was an evil curse created from dark magic. She explained how some humans (such as Stefan Salvatore) were unfit to become vampires due to their gentle nature. Since vampirism is known to enhance the characteristics and magnify the emotions of a person, humans who are naturally benevolent will become even more benevolent as a vampire. However, since the basic nature of a vampire is to kill, many kindhearted vampires struggle to fight their urges to murder and more often than not, fall off the wagon by cutting off their humanity and going on a killing spree. These vampires become known as "rippers".
- According to Esther Mikaelson, the creation of the Original vampires was an accident as she never intended to turn her family into monsters, but merely to protect them from harm. After the death of her youngest son, Henrik, Esther and her husband, Mikael, feared the power of the werewolves and wanted to exceed them in superiority. With the support of her husband, Esther created a spell that would not only grant her family immortality, but would also make them faster and stronger than the wolves. Despite the countless warnings given by her mentor, Ayana, Esther used dark magic to successfully enact the spell.
- According to Sheila Bennett, the Spirits are responsible for creating the laws on magic. Contrary to her granddaughter, Bonnie Bennett, Sheila has presumably always practiced spirit magic whereas Bonnie originally practiced traditional magic. Sheila hinted that she practiced spirit magic when she first met Damon Salvatore, whom she immediately disliked. When Damon asked how Sheila could hate him without even knowing him, Sheila informed Damon how the Spirits "talked" to her, and told her that he was an enemy of the Bennett family and discouraged her from trusting him. One year after her death, when Bonnie performed a manifestation spell which allowed the supernatural spirits of Mystic Falls to materialize, Sheila confirmed that the Spirits were responsible for creating the rules on witchcraft.
- Hope Mikaelson
- Hope is a hybrid Werewolf/Vampire/Witch
- Hope is an active witch because her blood is vampiric, but she is not a vampire.
- It is unknown if activating her werewolf gene will negate her witch abilities.
- The Bennett Family was said to have migrated to Mystic Falls from Salem, Massachusetts after the witch trials of 1692, however, it was revealed in a later season that an ancestor of the Bennett Family, Ayana, migrated to the place that would be Mystic Falls from Europe with the Mikaelson Family. It can be speculated that Ayana's descendants may have traveled south to the Caribbean or possibly back to Europe before Salem was settled some six hundred years later.
- While the term "warlock" was originally used to differentiate the male witches from the female witches, it appears that "witch" is a gender-neutral term that applies to men and women. Luka Martin and Papa Tunde are the only characters that have been referred to as warlocks.
- List of Witches - a complete list of all witches who have appeared in the series.