|“||The Italians call them Strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them Aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them Häxa. And here, we call them witch. Over the centuries vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally they have been a force to be reckoned with.||”|
— Elijah on the Witches
A witch is a man or woman with the power to affect change by magical means (Witchcraft).
The Balance of Nature
The Balance of Nature is a belief system based around the observance of the Earth and reverence of nature and the Spirits. The goal of many witches is to honor the design of nature and to maintain balance within the natural world. The balance of nature is intimately tied to one's spiritual relationship with the Earth, and the idea that all living things (e.g. animals, humans, plants, etc.) are considered sacred, as they are all different aspects of nature. Contemporary witches would also agree that using modern ceremonies, rituals and shamanic practices is the best way to attune themselves with the natural rhythms of the universe in their efforts to obtain guidance and knowledge from wiser known witches called "the Spirits." However, according to a witch named Gloria, who referred to herself as a practitioner of "old school voodoo," it is implied that not all witches follow this belief system, and that witches have the free will to choose how they wish to practice their power.
The origin of witchcraft remains unknown, however it is known that witches have existed for many centuries passing down their knowledge and skills through generations of family lines. Contrary to popular belief, witches do not receive their powers from demons, nor do they worship the devil. Instead, witches consider themselves as the Servants of Nature, and they make it their duty to maintain balance within the world.
Magic is the power to affect change in the world by supernatural means. Magic can often be split into bright and dark, though depending on the situation, can also be neutral.
Ancestral Magic is a form of sorcery commonly used among the witches of New Orleans. Similar to Spirit Magic, this form of sorcery draws energy from the dead ancestors of a witch in a certain location and can be used however the spirits see fit. However, according to Elijah Mikaelson, this power can only be harnessed from the location of where the witches died, meaning that should the witch abandon the area, they will be rendered powerless.
Dark Magic (or Black Magic) is a form of sorcery that draws on malevolent powers, and may be used for negative purposes (e.g. to cause destruction or misfortune, to injure or kill, or for the profit of oneself rather than for the benefit of others.) In popular usage, the term "dark magic" is often used to describe any form of sorcery that is used negatively.
Expression is an extremely dark form of magic that draws on darkness that doesn't exist on the natural plane without harming it. The details and history of expression remain unknown, however according to Nandi, the forces of expression are considered so powerful that many witches discredit it as magic, for it expands beyond the limitations of both traditional and contemporary forms of witchcraft.
Sacrificial Magic is a dark form of magic that relies upon the sacrifice of living or undead creatures to fuel a witch's power. The more sacrifices, the stronger the witch. This type of magic is also extremely volatile and easy to corrupt if one knows what they're doing.
Spirit Magic draws on the power of dead witches (or the Spirits of Nature), and may be used for either good or evil purposes. Unlike other forms of magic, a witch can only use Spirit Magic however the spirits see fit. If a witch abuses the magic bestowed upon them, the spirits may break the connection, preventing the witch from harnessing their power. Bonnie Bennett once channeled the energy of one hundred dead witches in her attempt to kill Klaus. However, after she used the power to resurrect her dead boyfriend, the spirits declined Bonnie from further channeling them, as they viewed resurrection spells as a violation against nature.
Traditional Magic is the most common form of witchcraft among modern witches. Traditional Magic draws energy from the forces of Nature and may be used however the witch sees fit. Although Traditional Magic is very popular among the witchcraft community, it also very exhausting. Due to the fact the witch is exerting their own energy, the witch may experience symptoms of dizziness, fatigue, and minor nose bleeds. Bonnie Bennett explained the limits of this power to Jeremy Gilbert, saying that if she pushed too hard, it would push back.
Traveler Magic is a default form of witchcraft used by a subculture of witches known as the Travelers. It is used by the Travelers as a result of being cursed and incapable of using Traditional Magic. This form of magic specializes in spirit possession and its spells are cast in a language different from all other forms of witchcraft. Traveler magic is highly dependent upon the innate magic of a witch and their connection to other Travelers. Only by joining together are Travelers able to perform powerful feats of magic. Without access to the magic of other Travelers, they are virtually powerless.
Powers and Abilities
- Channeling - The act of invoking or summoning extra forms of energy by focusing on external forces.
- Divination - The act of divining future, past, and present events based off extrasensory perception.
- Clairvoyance - The practice of divination through the perception of emotions, objects, people, or physical phenomena.
- Intuition - The practice of divination through the use of instinctive knowledge.
- Mediumship - The practice of communicating with the spirits of the dead.
- Premonitions - The practice of divination through the observation and study of dreams.
- Psychometry - The practice of divination through contact with or proximity to a certain object or person.
- Special Psychic Gifts - The practice of divination through powers that are unique unto the witch. Davina Claire could sense the use of magic and also the location of the witch. Monique Deveraux could sense whether or not someone was lying, while her aunt, Sophie Deveraux, could sense whether or not someone was pregnant.
- Elemental Control - The act of controlling and manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, and water.
- Spell Casting - The act of changing and controlling events through the use of charms, hexes, rituals, etc.
- Telekinesis - The act of controlling and manipulating the movement of objects and persons through mental influence.
- Witches Brew - The act of brewing and concocting magical potions.
Spells and Rituals
- For a complete list of spells and rituals, visit Spells and Rituals.
- Candles - Materials used to amplify a witch’s spell.
- Grimoires - A family journal documented with ancient recipes, rituals, and spells.
- Herbs and Stones - Materials used as ingredients for brewing and concocting paranormal potions.
- Talismans - Materials used to amplify a witch’s powers.
- Disbelief - The act of denying or disbelieving in ones magical potential could cause a witch to inadvertently suppress their paranormal power.
- Fear - A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the condition or feeling of being afraid could cause a witch to involuntarily block their own powers for a short time.
- Mortality - Based off the fact that witches are still human, they share many of the same weaknesses as non-supernatural beings (e.g. age, decapitation, disease, heart-failure, suffocation, etc.)
- Overuse of Magic - The excessive use of magic could lead to disorientation, nose bleeds, unconsciousness, and if taken to the extreme, death.
Attitude Towards the Earth and Supernatural/Non-Supernatural Species
- "Witches have a connection to the Earth. We can literally feel nature."
- — Bonnie Bennett
The relationship between the Earth and the witches is a very deep spiritual connection that many witches have and according to Bonnie Bennett, witches can literally feel the Earth. Most witches revere the Earth with just as much commitment and reverence as other religious factions do about their churches or mosques. Witches believe that all living creatures are a part of nature and that natural objects should be treated with just as much respect as theists treat their shrines and temples.
The relationship between humans and witches is generally a positive relationship, although it has been implied that this was not always the case. Throughout the past, over half of the human population lived in fear of the supernatural community. This fear caused many of the human parents to teach their children to hate and persecute all creatures who were different from them, especially witches. This eventually lead to some of the world's most infamous witch trails that massacred hundreds (possibly thousands) of witches. While it has been implied that more than half of those who were accused were entirely innocent, according to Elijah Mikaelson, many of those who were killed in Mystic Falls were true witches. Throughout the centuries, it appears that the belief in witches has dramatically declined to the point where Sheila Bennett suggested that humans like to poke fun at the occult.
- "Witches talk, even on the Other Side. Who do you think makes all the rules?"
- — Sheila Bennett
- "They're more like the ugly stepsister."
- — Liv Parker
- "Witches being pulled down by vampire problems...as much as we tried to do to stay out of it."
- — Sheila Bennett
The relationship between werewolves and witches is a neutral to negative relationship. Werewolves and witches have been shown to be at odds more than allies. Apparently the two species did once have a strong relationship with one another, however this was ruined with the inception of the vampires.
- "Well the way he sees it all witches are family. We're all bonded together by a code of loyalty to help each other."
- — Luka Martin
|Qetsiyah||Qetsiyah is one of the most powerful witches in the history of time who is notably known for the creation of the immortality spell and the Other Side.||Deceased|
|Silas||Silas was supposedly an "all-powerful" witch during the Archaic period of Greece, known for becoming the first Immortal.||Deceased|
|Markos||Markos was an ancient witch and also the leader of the Traveler coven.||Deceased|
|Ayana||Ayana was the best friend and mentor of Esther Mikaelson and also a very powerful ancestor of the Bennett family.||Deceased|
|Esther Mikaelson||Esther Mikaelson is an extremely powerful witch who is notably known for the creation the Original family of vampires.||Possession of Lenore|
|Finn Mikaelson||Finn Mikaelson was a witch before his transition into an Original vampire.||Possession of Vincent|
|Kol Mikaelson||Kol Mikaelson was a witch before his transition into an Original vampire.||Possession of Kaleb|
|Rebekah Mikaelson||Rebekah Mikaelson was a witch before her transition into an Original vampire.||Undead|
|The Witch of The Five||The Witch of the Five was a witch who is notably known for the creation of the Brotherhood of the Five.||Deceased|
|Mr. Petrova was the father of Katerina Petrova and also a non-practicing Traveler witch.||Deceased|
|Katerina Petrova||Katerina Petrova was a witch of the Traveler coven before her transition into a vampire.||Deceased|
|Nadia Petrova||Nadia Petrova was a witch of the Traveler coven before her transition into a vampire.||Deceased|
|Emily Bennett||Emily Bennett was a very powerful ancestor of the Bennett family who lived during the 19th century.||Deceased|
|Papa Tunde||Papa Tunde was a very powerful practitioner of sacrificial magic.||Deceased|
|Genevieve||Genevieve was an very powerful witch of the French Quarter.||Deceased|
|Clara Summerlin||Clara Summerlin was one of the many witches who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Deceased|
|Sheila Bennett||Sheila Bennett was the grandmother of Bonnie Bennett and also a witch.||Deceased|
|Abby Bennett Wilson||Abby Bennett was a powerful witch who is notably known for the desiccation of the Original vampire, Mikael.||Undead|
|Carl||Carl was a witch of the Traveler coven.||Deceased|
|Ivan||Ivan was a witch of the Traveler coven.||Deceased|
|Julian||Julian was a witch of the Traveler coven who took possession of Tyler Lockwood.||Deceased|
|Maria||Maria was a witch of the Traveler coven.||Deceased|
|Sloan||Sloan was a witch of the Traveler coven.||Deceased|
|Gregor||Gregor was a witch of the Traveler coven and also the boyfriend of Nadia Petrova.||Deceased|
|Mia||Mia was a witch of the Traveler coven.||Deceased|
|Caitlin Shane||Caitlin Shane was the wife of Atticus Shane and also a practitioner of Expression.||Deceased|
|Lucy||Lucy is a witch of the Bennett family.||Alive|
|Malakai||Malakai is a young limited witch imprisoned in a mysterious time dimension for killing his family. Because he can't generate magic himself, and must rely on his ability to absorb the magic of other witches to practice magic, Malakai is considered an abomination within the community.||Unknown|
|Bonnie Bennett||Bonnie Bennett is the daughter of Abby Bennett Wilson, granddaughter of Sheila Bennett and also a powerful witch.||Unknown|
|Liv Parker||Liv Parker is a powerful witch and also the twin sister of Luke Parker.||Alive|
|Luke Parker||Luke Parker is a witch and also the twin brother of Liv Parker.||Alive|
|Hazel||Hazel was a witch in association with Liv and Luke Parker.||Deceased|
|Annie Nelson||Annie Nelson is a friend of Luke Parker and also a witch who is mysteriously unable to practice witchcraft.||Alive|
|Maddox||Maddox was a powerful witch and also a loyal servant of Niklaus Mikaelson.||Deceased|
|Massak||Massak was a witch in association with Atticus Shane.||Deceased|
|Gloria||Gloria was a powerful witch who is notably known for her longevity spells.||Deceased|
|Jonas Martin||Dr. Jonas Martin was a powerful witch and also the father of Greta and Luka Martin.||Deceased|
|Luka Martin||Luka Martin was a powerful witch and also a former friend of Bonnie Bennett.||Deceased|
|Greta Martin||Greta Martin was a powerful witch and also a loyal servant of Niklaus Mikaelson.||Deceased|
|Aja||Aja was a powerful witch and also a former friend of Abby Bennett Wilson.||Deceased|
|Mr. Parish||Mr. Parish is a powerful witch who is notably known for the incarceration of his son.||Alive|
|Bree||Bree was a close friend of Alexis Branson and also a witch.||Deceased|
|Tanielle Soso is supposedly a witch whose biography was taught by Atticus Shane.||Unknown|
|Valerie LaMarche||Valerie LaMarche was a very powerful witch of the French Quarter who tricked Damon Salvatore into killing twelve innocent people so that she could have access to Expression.||Deceased|
|Nandi LaMarche||Nandi LaMarche is the daughter of Val LaMarche and also a powerful witch of the French Quarter.||Alive|
|Celeste Dubois||Celeste Dubois was a very powerful witch of the French Quarter who was notably known for the possession of multiple bodies over the course of a hundred years.||Deceased|
|Brynne Deveraux||Brynne Deveraux was one of the many witches who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Deceased|
|Isabella Joffrey||Isabella was one of the many witches who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Deceased|
|Philomena||Philomena was one of the many witches who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Deceased|
|Annie La Fleur||Annie La Fluer was one of the many witches who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Deceased|
|Agnes||Agnes was a powerful Elder witch of the French Quarter.||Deceased|
|Bastianna Natale||Bastianna was a powerful Elder witch of the French Quarter.||Deceased|
|Mrs. Claire||Mrs. Claire was the mother of Davina Claire and also a witch of the French Quarter.||Deceased|
|Lenore||Lenore is a witch of the French Quarter who is currently under the possession of Esther Mikaelson.||Unconscious|
|Mary-Alice||Mary-Alice is a witch of the French Quarter.||Alive|
|Jane-Anne Deveraux||Jane-Anne Deveraux was the mother of Monique Deveraux, sister of Sophie Deveraux and also a powerful witch of the French Quarter.||Deceased|
|Vincent||Vincent is a very powerful witch of the French Quarter who is currently under the possession of Finn Mikaelson.||Unconscious|
|Sabine Laurent||Sabine Laurent was the last witch who Celeste Dubois took possession of throughout the past.||Deceased|
|Sophie Deveraux||Sophie Deveraux was the maternal aunt of Monique Deveraux, sister of Jean-Anne Deveraux and also a Elder witch of the French Quarter.||Deceased|
|Katie||Katie was a witch of the French Quarter.||Deceased|
|Kaleb||Kaleb is a witch of the French Quarter who is currently under the possession of Kol Mikaelson.||Unconscious|
|Davina Claire||Davina Claire is the adoptive daughter of Marcel Gerald, best friend of Joshua Rosza and also a powerful Harvest witch.||Alive|
|Monique Deveraux||Monique Deveraux was the daughter of Jane-Anne Deveraux, maternal niece of Sophie Deveraux and also a very powerful Harvest witch.||Deceased|
|Abigail||Abigail was a very powerful Harvest witch.||Deceased|
|Cassie||Cassie is a Harvest witch who, until recently, was under the possession of Esther Mikaelson.||Alive|
- According to Abby Bennett Wilson, all magic is monitored by nature and has consequential effects. She explained this to her daughter, Bonnie Bennett, when she informed her of how she always dreamt of a normal life and how after she defeated an Original vampire named Mikael, she made the decision to abandon her family in order to live the life she so desperately desired outside of Mystic Falls. As punishment for deserting her lineage, Abby said that it was nature (not the Spirits) that slowly took away her magic until she was completely powerless.
- According to Bonnie Bennett, almost all witches have a spiritual connection to the elements of the Earth and the forces of nature. Since most witches derive their magic from nature, Bonnie explained how witches can literally feel the essence of life itself.
- According to Emily Bennett, vampirism was an evil curse created from dark magic. She explained how some humans (such as Stefan Salvatore) were unfit to become vampires due to their gentle nature. Since vampirism is known to enhance the characteristics and magnify the emotions of a person, humans who are naturally benevolent will become even more benevolent as a vampire. However, since the basic nature of a vampire is to kill, many kindhearted vampires struggle to fight their urges to murder and more often than not, fall off the wagon by cutting off their humanity and going on a killing spree. These vampires become known as "rippers".
- According to Esther Mikaelson, the creation of the Original vampires was an accident as she never intended to turn her family into monsters, but merely to protect them from harm. After the death of her youngest son, Henrik, Esther and her husband, Mikael, feared the power of the werewolves and wanted to exceed them in superiority. With the support of her husband, Esther created a spell that would not only grant her family immortality, but would also make them faster and stronger than the wolves. Despite the countless warnings given by her mentor, Ayana, Esther used dark magic to successfully enact the spell.
- According to Sheila Bennett, the Spirits are responsible for creating the laws on magic. Contrary to her granddaughter, Bonnie Bennett, Sheila has presumably always practiced spirit magic whereas Bonnie originally practiced traditional magic. Sheila hinted that she practiced spirit magic when she first met Damon Salvatore, whom she immediately disliked. When Damon asked how Sheila could hate him without even knowing him, Sheila informed Damon how the Spirits "talked" to her, and told her that he was an enemy of the Bennett family and discouraged her from trusting him. One year after her death, when Bonnie performed a manifestation spell which allowed the supernatural spirits of Mystic Falls to materialize, Sheila confirmed that the Spirits were responsible for creating the rules on witchcraft.
- Hope Mikaelson
- Hope is a hybrid Werewolf/Vampire/Witch
- Hope is an active witch because her blood is vampiric, but she is not a vampire.
- It is unknown if activating her werewolf gene will negate her witch abilities.
- The Bennett Family was said to have migrated to Mystic Falls from Salem, Massachusetts after the witch trials of 1692, however, it was revealed in a later season that an ancestor of the Bennett Family, Ayana, migrated to the place that would be Mystic Falls from Europe with the Mikaelson Family. It can be speculated that Ayana's descendants may have traveled south to the Caribbean or possibly back to Europe before Salem was settled some six hundred years later.
- While the term "warlock" was originally used to differentiate the male witches from the female witches, it appears that "witch" is a gender-neutral term that applies to men and women. Luka Martin and Papa Tunde are the only characters that have been referred to as warlocks.
- List of Witches - a complete list of all witches who have appeared in the series.