|“||The Italians call them Strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them Iya, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them Häxa. And here, we call them witch. Over the centuries vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally they have been a force to be reckoned with.||”|
— Elijah on the Witches
A witch is a person, male or female, with the power to affect change by supernatural means (Witchcraft).
The Balance of Nature
The Balance of Nature is a belief system based around the observance of the Earth and reverence of nature and the Spirits. The goal of many witches is to honor the design of nature and to maintain balance within the natural world. The balance of nature is intimately tied to one's spiritual relationship with the Earth, and the idea that all living things (e.g. animals, humans, plants, etc.) are considered sacred, as they are all different aspects of nature. Contemporary witches would also agree that using modern ceremonies, rituals and shamanic practices is the best way to attune themselves with the natural rhythms of the universe in their efforts to obtain guidance and knowledge from wiser known witches called "the Spirits." However, according to a witch named Gloria, who referred to herself as a practitioner of "old school voodoo," it is implied that not all witches follow this belief system, and that witches have the free will to choose how they wish to practice their power.
The origin of witchcraft remains unknown, however it is known that witches have existed for many centuries passing down their knowledge and skills through generations of family lines. Contrary to popular belief, witches do not receive their powers from demons, nor do they worship the devil. Instead, witches consider themselves as the Servants of Nature, and they make it their duty to maintain balance within the world.
Magic is the power to affect change in the world by supernatural means. Magic can often be split into bright and dark, though depending on the situation, can also be neutral.
Ancestral Magic is a form of sorcery commonly used among the witches of New Orleans. Similar to Spirit Magic, this form of sorcery draws energy from the dead ancestors of a witch in a certain location and can be used however the spirits see fit. However, according to Elijah Mikaelson, this power can only be harnessed from the location of where the witches died, meaning that should the witch abandon the area, they will be rendered powerless.
Dark Magic (or Black Magic) is a form of sorcery that draws on malevolent powers, and may be used for negative purposes (e.g. to cause destruction or misfortune, to injure or kill, or for the profit of oneself rather than for the benefit of others.) In popular usage, the term "dark magic" is often used to describe any form of sorcery that is used negatively.
Expression is an extremely dark form of magic that draws on darkness that doesn't exist on the natural plane without harming it. The details and history of expression remain unknown, however according to Nandi, the forces of expression are considered so powerful that many witches discredit it as magic, for it expands beyond the limitations of both traditional and contemporary forms of witchcraft.
Sacrificial Magic is a dark form of magic that relies upon the sacrifice of living or undead creatures to fuel a witch's power. The more sacrifices, the stronger the witch. This type of magic is also extremely volatile and easy to corrupt if one know what they're doing.
Spirit Magic draws on the power of dead witches (or the Spirits of Nature), and may be used for either good or evil purposes. Unlike other forms of magic, a witch can only use Spirit Magic however the spirits see fit. If a witch abuses the magic bestowed upon them, the spirits may break the connection, preventing the witch from harnessing their power. Bonnie Bennett once channeled the energy of one hundred dead witches in her attempt to kill Klaus. However, after she used the power to resurrect her dead boyfriend, the spirits declined Bonnie from further channeling them, as they viewed resurrection spells as a violation against nature.
Traditional Magic is the most common form of witchcraft among modern witches. Traditional Magic draws energy from the forces of Nature and may be used however the witch sees fit. Although Traditional Magic is very popular among the witchcraft community, it also very exhausting. Due to the fact the witch is exerting their own energy, the witch may experience symptoms of dizziness, fatigue, and minor nose bleeds. Bonnie Bennett explained the limits of this power to Jeremy Gilbert, saying that if she pushed too hard, it would push back.
Traveler Magic is a default form of witchcraft used by a subculture of witches known as the Travelers. It is used by the Travelers as a result of being cursed and incapable of using Traditional Magic. This form of magic specializes in spirit possession and its spells are cast in a language different from all other forms of witchcraft. Traveler magic is highly dependent upon the innate magic of a witch and their connection to other Travelers. Only by joining together are Travelers able to perform powerful feats of magic. Without access to the magic of other Travelers, they are virtually powerless.
Powers and Abilities
- Channelling - The act of invoking or summoning extra forms of energy by focusing on external forces.
- Divination - The act of divining future, past, and present events based off extrasensory perception.
- Clairvoyance - The practice of divination through the perception of emotions, objects, people, or physical phenomena.
- Intuition - The practice of divination through the use of instinctive knowledge.
- Mediumship - The practice of communicating with the spirits of the dead.
- Premonitions - The practice of divination through the observation and study of dreams.
- Psychometry - The practice of divination through contact with or proximity to a certain object or person.
- Special Psychic Gifts - The practice of divination through powers that are unique unto the witch. Davina Claire could psychically sense the use of magic and also the location of the witch. Monique Deveraux could psychically sense whether or not someone was lying, while her aunt, Sophie Deveraux, could psychically sense whether or not someone was pregnant.
- Elemental Control - The act of controlling and manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, and water.
- Spell Casting - The act of changing and controlling events through the use of charms, hexes, rituals, etc.
- Telekinesis - The act of controlling and manipulating the movement of objects and persons through mental influence.
- Witches Brew - The act of brewing and concocting magical potions.
Spells and Rituals
- For a complete list of spells and rituals, visit Spells and Rituals.
- Candles - Materials used to amplify a witch’s spell.
- Grimoires - A family journal documented with ancient recipes, rituals, and spells.
- Herbs and Stones - Materials used as ingredients for brewing and concocting paranormal potions.
- Talismans - Materials used to amplify a witch’s powers.
- Disbelief - The act of denying or disbelieving in ones magical potential could cause a witch to inadvertently suppress their paranormal power.
- Fear - A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the condition or feeling of being afraid could cause a witch to involuntarily block their own powers for a short time.
- Mortality - Based off the fact that witches are still human, they share many of the same weaknesses as non-supernatural beings (e.g. age, decapitation, disease, heart-failure, suffocation, etc.)
- Overuse of Magic - The excessive use of magic could lead to disorientation, nose bleeds, unconsciousness, and if taken to the extreme, death.
- "Witches have a connection to the Earth. We can literally feel nature."
- — Bonnie Bennett
The relationship between the Earth and the witches is a very deep spiritual connection that many witches have and according to Bonnie Bennett, witches can literally feel the Earth. Most witches revere the Earth with just as much commitment and reverence as other religious factions do about their churches or mosques. Witches believe that all living creatures are a part of nature and that natural objects should be treated with just as much respect as theists treat their shrines and temples.
- "Witches talk, even on the Other Side. Who do you think makes all the rules?"
- — Sheila Bennett
- "They're more like the ugly stepsister."
- — Liv Parker
- "Witches being pulled down by vampire problems...as much as we tried to do to stay out of it."
- — Sheila Bennett
The relationship between werewolves and witches is a neutral to negative relationship. Werewolves and witches have been shown to be at odds more than allies.
- "Well the way he sees it all witches are family. We're all bonded together by a code of loyalty to help each other."
- — Luka Martin
|Qetsiyah||She was an extremely powerful, if not entirely sane witch, who created the Immortality Spell with her love Silas, only to learn he was using her. She later created the Other Side, anchoring it to the Immortal Amara, Silas' true love, and imprisoned Silas for the next two thousand years. Later, when her descendant Bonnie Bennett dropped the Veil to the Other Side, she took the opportunity to resurrect herself. She later killed herself after finally getting what she wanted, Silas on the Other Side.||Deceased|
|Silas||Silas was a (supposedly) powerful witch around two thousand years ago, and the lover of Qetsiyah. He tricked her into creating a spell for Immortality, which he then took with his true love Amara. Qetsiyah found out and "killed" Amara before sealing Silas in a tomb, alive with the Cure, hoping he would take it and die, trapping himself on the Other Side with her. He later escaped his tomb and was eventually cured before he was killed.||Deceased|
|Markos||He is the leader of the The Travelers and has been since they were first cursed by the Covens. He has been the master mind behind their plans, ruling them from the Other Side until he found his chance to escape back into the world of the living. His victory was short lived as he and all his Travelers were then killed in a massive explosion. On the crumbling Other Side, he was sucked into Oblivion.||Deceased|
|Ayana||She was a member of the Bennett Family and she was Esther's mentor and her best friend.||Deceased|
|Esther||Esther is one of the most powerful witches the world has ever seen and the creator of the vampires in the New World. Esther is Mikael's wife and the Original Children's mother. She has since been resurrected, killed again and then consecrated to the Earth in New Orleans, making her one of the Ancestors, of whom she became the leader. When the fourth Harvest witch, Cassie was resurrected by the death of Genevieve, Esther possessed her body.||Possessing Cassie|
|Mikael and Esther's firstborn||Mikael and Esther's firstborn is presumably a warlock who died from the plague.||Deceased|
|Henrik Mikaelson||Henrik was Esther's son which he presumably inherited the witch gene from his mother. He was killed by werewolves.||Deceased|
|The Witch of The Five||She created the hunter marks on members of The Five and presumably the White Oak Daggers to take down the Originals. She died soon after the spell was cast. She is known to be one of Qetsiyah's descendants.||Deceased|
|Katerina's Father||Katerina's father was killed by Klaus but was said to be a traveler warlock. He considered his witch heritage to be of the Devil.||Deceased|
|Katerina Petrova||She revealed to Nadia that her father was a Traveler passing his gene to her, making Katherine a witch, though she only used her powers once, to possess Elena Gilbert before she met her final demise.||Deceased|
|Nadia Petrova||Nadia like her mother was born as a Traveler witch but eventually, she willingly became a vampire to find her mother Katherine. She later died from a hybrid bite.||Deceased|
|Celeste Marie Helene Dubois||She was a incredibly powerful witch who was a lover of Elijah, who cheated death by possessing the bodies of other witches for two hundred years, working on her revenge against the Originals. Before her death, she possessed the witch Sabine.||Deceased|
|Emily Bennett||She was a powerful witch and Katherine's handmaiden. She sealed the Tomb Vampires beneath Fell's Church as well as made the daylight rings for Stefan and Damon Salvatore. Emily was tried and burned at the stake for the people of Mystic Falls.||Deceased|
|Alphonz Bellatunde Delgallo||Alphonz Bellatunde Delgallo aka Papa Tunde was an extremely powerful and dangerous warlock who challenged the Mikaelsons back in 1919, killing all who opposed him before he was killed by Klaus. He was brought back to life by Celeste during the Harvest. He sacrificed himself and was killed by Celeste DuBois.||Deceased|
|Genevieve||She is a powerful witch who has history with Marcel and Rebekah. She lived in the early 1900's and worked as a nurse. She befriended Rebekah and summoned Mikael to New Orleans. She initially died of influenza and was later resurrected by Celeste DuBois after the Harvest, becoming an Elder of the Coven for a short while before she was killed by Hayley.||Deceased|
|Clara Summerlin||Clara was a nurse and friend of Genevieve who lived back in the early 1900's. She was possessed by Celeste DuBois and later died of influenza.||Deceased|
|Gloria||Gloria was a flamboyant soothsayer and also an excessively powerful witch, so powerful and experienced that Klaus went to her with his magical problems. Gloria was killed by Katherine.||Deceased|
|Valerie LaMarche||Valerie was an evil powerful witch. She used Damon to get access to magic even worse then dark magic called expression by using him to get the 12 sacrifices which are needed to access it.||Deceased|
|Nandi LaMarche||She is Val's daughter and is a good witch unlike her mother. Nandi sells herbs and homeopathic remedies, and performs spells for tourists.||Alive|
|Sheila Bennett||She was the grandmother of Bonnie Bennett. After performing an exhausting spell to open the door of the tomb underneath Fell's Church, Sheila returned home where she slowly passed away. She lives as a ghost on the Other Side, where she remains watchful of her granddaughter and communes with the spirits of other witches.||Deceased|
|She was mentioned by Atticus Shane. Unknown if she was legitimately a witch.||Unknown|
|Bastianna Natale||Bastianna was an Elder of the New Orleans Coven. She was involved and believed in The Harvest. She was initially killed in the Harvest by one of Marcel's vampires and was later resurrected by Celeste DuBois. However, she was killed a second time by Marcel Gerard.||Deceased|
|Agnes||Agnes was an Elder of the New Orleans Coven that worked as a fortune teller. She was killed by Elijah Mikaelson for trying to harm Hayley and the baby.||Deceased|
|Bree||She was a friend of Lexi and Lee and the former lover of Damon Salvatore back in the 1970's. She was killed by Damon.||Deceased|
|Brynne Deveraux||Brynne was a member of the Deveraux family, suspected to be Jane-Anne's and Sophie's mother and was also possessed by Celeste DuBois, whom which placed the curse on Hayley's werewolf family.||Deceased|
|Carl||Carl is one of the Travelers.||Deceased|
|Jonas Martin||Dr. Jonas Martin was an powerful witch and also the father of Greta and Luka Martin. He was working with Elijah to take down Klaus and rescue his daughter before he died. He was killed by Katherine and Stefan.||Deceased|
|Davina's mother||She was the mother of Davina Claire. She was killed by one of Marcel's vampires for attempting to sacrifice her own daughter.||Deceased|
|Lenore||Lenore is a witch that will be in season 2 of The Originals (TV Series), seeking an alliance between the Coven and the Pack.||Alive|
|Isabella Joffrey||Isabella was a witch who was possessed by Celeste DuBois.||Deceased|
|Abby Bennett Wilson||Abby Bennett was a powerful witch known for desiccating and entombing the original, Mikael. She was later turned into a vampire to save Elena, loosing her magic. She is also the mother of Bonnie Bennett and abandoned her when she was a baby.||Undead/Vampire|
|Aja||Aja was a powerful witch and former friend of Abby Bennett Wilson, who comes to Mystic Falls to help cleanse Bonnie of her magic. She was seen to despise vampires and seamed to fear the mere mention of Silas. She, along with her coven, was killed by Caroline Forbes||Deceased|
|Julian||Julian is one of the Travelers and is was possessing Tyler until he was killed by Markos.||Deceased|
|Maria||Maria is one of the Travelers. She is Julian's wife.||Deceased|
|Philomena||Philomena was a witch who was possessed by Celeste DuBois.||Deceased|
|Jane-Anne Deveraux||Jane-Anne Deveraux was the older sister of Sophie Deveraux, the mother of Monique Deveraux and a powerful and devout witch that believed in the Harvest. She was killed by Marcel Gerard due to practicing magic.||Deceased|
|Caitlin Shane||Caitlin Shane was a witch who is Atticus' deceased wife and his leading motivation to raise Silas.She died by trying to use expression to defy death.||Deceased|
|Annie La Fleur||Annie was a witch who Celeste possessed before Sabine. She was later killed when Celeste left her body and drowned.||Deceased|
|Massak||Massak was a witch in association with Atticus Shane. He was killed by Katherine.||Deceased|
|Sloan||Sloan is one of the Travelers. She dies when she returns to life after drinking the doppelganger blood.||Deceased|
|Maddox||He was one of Niklaus' witches. Maddox was killed by Matt and Damon.||Deceased|
|Gregor||He was Nadia Petrova's boyfriend and a member of The Travelers. He was first killed by Nadia to gain Silas's trust and permanently killed by Katherine Pierce.||Deceased|
|Lucy||She is a powerful witch and member of the Bennett Family who, like her ancestor Emily, had a working relationship with Katherine Pierce.||Alive|
|Hazel||Hazel was a witch who worked with Luke and Liv to protect Tom Avery. She was killed by Enzo.||Deceased|
|Mia||Mia was a Traveler who helped Katherine Pierce escape death by permanently sealing her spirit in Elena Gilbert's body. She was later killed by Katherine herself.||Deceased|
|Vincent||Vincent is a warlock and is being possessed by one of the dead Mikaelson boys, which is most likely Finn.||Possessed by Finn|
|Sabine Laurent||Sabine was a renowned tour guide in New Orleans. She was also a member of the New Orleans Coven until she became possessed by the witch, Celeste DuBois. She is later killed by Celeste.||Deceased|
|Ivan||Ivan is one of the Travelers who took Stefan and Elena's blood.||Deceased|
|Sophie Deveraux||Sophie was an Elder of the New Orleans Coven and one of the 2 main witches of the TV series. She was the younger sister of Jane-Anne Devereaux, and aunt of Monique Devereaux, as well as the leader of the witch's revolution against Marcel's regime. She is later killed by her newly resurrected and corrupted niece, Monique, for not having faith in the Harvest.||Deceased|
|Katie||Katie was a powerful witch who worked in Jardin Gris. She was in love with Thierry and helped him to work against the witches out of love till her demise.||Deceased|
|Kaleb||Kaleb is a handsome, devilish and charming new witch in the French Quarter's coven who is intent on wreaking havoc, wooing women and causing as much chaos as possible.||Alive|
|Greta Martin||She was one of Niklaus' witches and Jonas' daughter and Luka's sister. She was by killed Damon Salvatore.||Deceased|
|Liv Parker||Liv Parker is a young witch who goes to college with Bonnie and Luke's twin sister.||Alive|
|Luke Parker||Luke Parker is a young warlock who goes to college with Bonnie and Liv's twin brother.||Alive|
|Bonnie Bennett||She is one of the only main witches in the TV Series and an extremely powerful witch. Bonnie is Elena and Caroline's best friend. After becoming the Anchor to the Other Side, Bonnie lost her access to magic although she still considers herself a witch.||Deceased|
|Luka Martin||He was a member of the Martin Family and one of Elijah's witches. He taught Bonnie several important lessons regarding her witchcraft, which would be used frequently by the latter. He was killed by Damon Salvatore.||Deceased|
|Davina Claire||Davina is a teenage witch, one of the 2 main witches of the TV series and close friend/ally of Marcel Gerard. She was one of the four chosen Harvest girls until Marcel interrupted the ritual. She lived under his protection for a year until she was killed by Sophie Devereaux to complete The Harvest ritual. Later resurrected after Celeste's death.||Alive|
|Monique Deveraux||Monique Deveraux is the daughter of Jane-Anne Deveraux and the niece of Sophie Deveraux. She sacrificed in the Harvest ritual and was later resurrected after Papa Tunde's death. Since her revival she has become a fanatic, believe in the Ancestors absolutely until she was killed, ironically, by Marcel Gerard.||Deceased|
|Abigail||Abigail was the first sacrifice of the Harvest and the 2nd witch who was brought back to life from the Harvest, after the death of Bastianna Natale. She was later killed by Klaus.||Deceased|
|Cassie||Cassie was the second sacrifice of the Harvest and the last girl to be resurrected. Her body is currently being possessed by Esther.||Alive, Possessed by Esther|
- According to Abby Bennett Wilson, all magic is monitored by nature and has consequential effects. She explained this to her daughter, Bonnie Bennett, when she informed her of how she always dreamt of a normal life and how after she defeated an Original vampire named Mikael, she made the decision to abandon her family in order to live the life she so desperately desired outside of Mystic Falls. As punishment for deserting her lineage, Abby said that it was nature (not the Spirits) that slowly took away her magic until she was completely powerless.
- According to Bonnie Bennett, almost all witches have a spiritual connection to the elements of the Earth and the forces of nature. Since most witches derive their magic from nature, Bonnie explained how witches can literally feel the essence of life itself.
- According to Emily Bennett, vampirism was an evil curse created from dark magic. She explained how some humans (such as Stefan Salvatore) were unfit to become vampires due to their gentle nature. Since vampirism is known to enhance the characteristics and magnify the emotions of a person, humans who are naturally benevolent will become even more benevolent as a vampire. However, since the basic nature of a vampire is to kill, many kindhearted vampires struggle to fight their urges to murder and more often than not, fall off the wagon by cutting off their humanity and going on a killing spree. These vampires become known as "rippers".
- According to Esther Mikaelson, the creation of the Original vampires was an accident as she never intended to turn her family into monsters, but merely to protect them from harm. After the death of her youngest son, Henrik, Esther and her husband, Mikael, feared the power of the werewolves and wanted to exceed them in superiority. With the support of her husband, Esther created a spell that would not only grant her family immortality, but would also make them faster and stronger than the wolves. Despite the countless warnings given by her mentor, Ayana, Esther used dark magic to successfully enact the spell.
- According to Sheila Bennett, the Spirits are responsible for creating the laws on magic. Contrary to her granddaughter, Bonnie Bennett, Sheila has presumably always practiced spirit magic whereas Bonnie originally practiced traditional magic. Sheila hinted that she practiced spirit magic when she first met Damon Salvatore, whom she immediately disliked. When Damon asked how Sheila could hate him without even knowing him, Sheila informed Damon how the Spirits "talked" to her, and told her that he was an enemy of the Bennett family and discouraged her from trusting him. One year after her death, when Bonnie performed a manifestation spell which allowed the supernatural spirits of Mystic Falls to materialize, Sheila confirmed that the Spirits were responsible for creating the rules on witchcraft.
- Hope Mikaelson
- Hope is a hybrid Werewolf/Vampire/Witch
- Hope is an active witch because her blood is vampiric, but she is not a vampire.
- It is unknown if activating her werewolf gene will negate her witch abilities.
- The Bennett Family was said to have migrated to Mystic Falls from Salem, Massachusetts after the witch trials of 1692, however, it was revealed in a later season that an ancestor of the Bennett Family, Ayana, migrated to the place that would be Mystic Falls from Europe with the Mikaelson Family. It can be speculated that Ayana's descendants may have traveled south to the Caribbean or possibly back to Europe before Salem was settled some six hundred years later.
- The term warlock was introduced as a way to describe male witches, but to date, it has only been used to describe Luka Martin, Jonas Martin, and Papa Tunde.
- List of Witches - a complete list of all witches who have appeared in the series.