|“||The Italians call them Strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them Aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them Häxa. And here, we call them witch. Over the centuries vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally they have been a force to be reckoned with.||”|
— Elijah on the Witches
Witches or Warlocks are supernatural beings with the power to affect change by magical means. By connecting with various sources of magic, witches can practice their craft in order to fulfill their duties as "Servants of Nature".
The Balance of Nature
The Balance of Nature is a belief system based around the observance of the Earth and reverence of Spirits. The goal of many witches is to honor the design of the nature and to maintain balance within the world. The balance of nature is intimately tied to one's spiritual relationship with the Earth, and the idea that all things (e.g. animals, humans, life, etc.) are considered sacred, as they are all different aspects of nature. Contemporary witches would also agree that using modern ceremonies, rituals and shamanic practices is the best way to attune themselves with the natural rhythms of the universe in their efforts to obtain guidance and knowledge from wiser known witches called "The Spirits". However, according to a witch named Gloria, who referred to herself as "old school voodoo", it is implied that not all witches follow this belief system, and have the free will to choose how they wish to practice their power.
Humans who practices magical powers are called "witches". The origin of witchcraft remains unknown, however witches have existed for many centuries, passing down their knowledge and skills through generations of family lines. Contrary to popular belief, witches do not receive their powers from demons, nor do they worship the devil. Instead, witches consider themselves as the Servants of Nature, as they make it their job to maintain balance within the world.
Magic is the power to affect change by supernatural means. Magic can often be split into bright and dark, though depending on the situation may also be neutral. Magic is a genetic heredity that connects a person to the elements and forces of nature in order to practice witchcraft.
Ancestral Magic is a form of sorcery commonly used among the witches of New Orleans. This magic is highly dependent on a cyclic ceremony called the Harvest. The Harvest is a magic ritual which occurs once every three centuries involving the sacrifice of four young witches.
Dark Magic (or Black Magic) is a form of sorcery that draws on malevolent powers, and may be used for negative purposes (e.g. to cause destruction or misfortune, to injure or kill, or for the profit of oneself rather than for the benefit of others.) In popular usage, the term "dark magic" is often used to describe any form of sorcery that is used negatively.
Expression is an extremely dark form of magic that draws on darkness that doesn't exist on the natural plane without harming it. The details and history of expression remain unknown, however according to Nandi, the forces of expression are considered so powerful that many witches discredit it as magic, for it expands beyond the limitations of both traditional and contemporary forms of witchcraft.
Sacrificial Magic is a immoral form of witchcraft used to draw power from killing others, potentially making the witch stronger physically and in their magical abilities. Unlike Expression, Sacrificial Magic is solely dependent on the use of supernatural creatures, as sacrificing a Human would have no benefit to a Witch seeking to gain more power. It seems that this form of magic also draws power from pain and suffering.
Spirit Magic draws on the power of the Spirits of Nature and dead witches, and may be used for either good or evil purposes. Unlike other forms of magic, a witch can only use Spirit Magic however the spirits see fit. If a witch abuses the magic bestowed upon them, the spirits may break the connection, preventing the witch from harnessing their power. Bonnie Bennett once channeled the energy of one hundred dead witches in her attempt to kill Klaus. However, after she used the power to resurrect her dead boyfriend, the spirits declined Bonnie from further channeling them, as they viewed resurrection spells as a violation against nature.
Traditional Magic is the most common form of witchcraft among modern witches. Traditional Magic draws energy from the forces of Nature and may be used however the witch sees fit. Although Traditional Magic is very popular among the witchcraft community, it also very exhausting. Due to the fact the witch is exerting their own energy, the witch may experience symptoms of dizziness, fatigue, and minor nose bleeds. Bonnie Bennett explained the limits of this power to Jeremy Gilbert, saying that if she pushed too hard, it would push back.
Traveller Magic is a form of witchcraft used by a sub-culture of witches known as the Travellers. According to a witch called Mia, this magic works differently from Traditional Magic and leaves the practitioner unable to perform Traditional Magic. This form of magic specializes in spirit possession and it's spells are cast in a language different from all other forms of witchcraft.
- Channeling: The act of invoking or summoning extra forms of energy by focusing on external forces.
- Divination: The act of divining future, past, and present events based off extrasensory perception.
- Clairvoyance: The practice of divination through the perception of emotions, objects, people, or physical phenomena.
- Intuition: The practice of divination through the use of instinctive knowledge.
- Mediumship: The practice of communicating with the spirits of the dead.
- Premonitions: The practice of divination through the observation and study of dreams.
- Psychometry: The practice of divination through contact with or proximity to a certain object or person.
- Special Psychic Gifts: The practice of divination through powers that are unique unto the witch. (Davina Claire could psychically sense the use of magic and also the location of the witch. Sophie Deveraux could psychically sense whether or not someone is pregnant.)
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, and water.
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and controlling events through the use of charms, hexes, rituals, etc.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movement of objects and persons through mental influence.
- Witches Brew: The act of brewing and concocting magical potions.
- Candles: Materials used to amplify a witch’s spell.
- Grimoires: A family journal documented with ancient recipes, rituals, and spells.
- Herbs and Stones: Materials used as ingredients for brewing and concocting paranormal potions.
- Talismans: Materials used to amplify a witch’s powers.
- Disbelief: The act of denying or disbelieving in ones magical potential could cause a witch to inadvertently suppress their paranormal power.
- Fear: A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the condition or feeling of being afraid could cause a witch to temporarily lose their powers.
- Mortality: Based off the fact that witches are still human, they share many of the same weaknesses as non-supernatural beings (e.g. age, decapitation, disease, heart-failure, suffocation, etc.)
- Overuse of Magic: The excessive use of magic could lead to disorientation, nose bleeds, unconsciousness, and if taken to the extreme, death.
One of the major sources of power for witches originates from the Earth, which is considered the purest form of magic. Witches are naturally attuned to Nature allowing them to “literally” feel the Earth. In addition, witches can also channel energy from the elements.
Colloquially known as the Spirits of Nature, spirits are highly involved in the activities of witches. Spirits often commune and aid witches in their rituals and spells. Being the conscience of Nature, they establish the sacred laws and guidelines of witchcraft. While many witches are faithful servants of these spirits, some witches defy their laws and are often punished. Spirits can also be channeled as an additional power source in witchcraft.
Witches typically have a natural distaste for Vampires as they are commonly perceived amongst their community as abominations. Retrospectively, many vampires, such as Klaus, see witches as nothing more than tools to be used to fulfill a vampire's needs, but some vampires, like Kol, hold witches in high esteem and respect them.
Though witches and Werewolves have very little interaction, they are known to be the oldest of supernatural creatures as both predate the existence of vampires.
Similarly to werewolves, witches are bonded by a code of loyalty to help and protect each other, commonly being regarded as members of an “extended family”. However, some witches disregard this bond and act solely for their own personal gain.
Spells and Rituals
- The Hybrid Curse: The Hybrid Curse is an extremely powerful spell that was bewitched onto Klaus, to prevent him from triggering his werewolf powers.
- Sacrifice Ritual Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Salve Sorce Das. Phasmatos Eliximo Nominum, Etrinox Sorce Sotero Callux Oxtara. A spell that is able to reverse the effects of the Curse of the Sun and Moon.
- Day-Walking Medallions: A spell that is able to grant a vampire the power to walk freely in the sunlight.
- Gilbert Rings: A spell that is able to prevent death to its wearer by any supernatural occurrence.
- Gilbert Device: A spell that is able to incapacitate vampires and werewolves, whenever it is activated.
- Tomb Spell: A spell that prevents a vampire from exiting outside of a tomb located beneath Fell’s Church.
- Tomb Counter Spell: Phasmatos Salves Nas Ex Malon,Terra Mora Vantis Quo Incandis, Et Vasa Quo Ero Signos. A spell that is able to reverse the effects of the tomb spell.
- Pentagram Spell: Incendia! A spell that is able to create a field of fire over a pentagram. It was used to destroy the Bennett Talisman.
- Fire Spell: Ex Spiritum In Taculum, En Terrum Incendium, Phasmatos Salves A Distum! A spell that is able to decrease and/or increase the intensity of a fire.
- Healing Spell: A spell that is able to heal a person of injury.
- Linking Spell: A spell that is able to link two or more people together.
- Isolation Spell: A spell that is able to prevent a certain person from exiting outside of a room.
- Reduction of Pain Spell: Asinta Mulaf Hinto. A spell that is able to reduce the physical pain of another person.
- Locator Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Viras Sequita Saguines Ementas Asten Mihan Ega Petous. A spell that is able to locate a certain object and/or person.
- Message Spell: A spell that is able to send a message to a certain person through space by burning the message over a flame.
- Instability Spell: Terra Mora Vantis, Quo Incandis! A spell that charges the personal item of someone with energy when it is turned to ash and is able to incapacitate a certain person.
- Hypnosis Spell: A spell that is able to hypnotize a certain person into revealing their inner secrets.
- Disempowerment Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Exum Sue, Redem Su Pas Quo. A spell that is able to remove a witch from their powers.
- Astral Projection Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Es Tas Sue Sasta Nanse, Transum Viso. Mas Tenas Quisa, Nas Metam! A spell that is able to transport the spiritual body of a person to another area within the world.
- Possession Spell: Somno Ritum Per Dax Ritum. A spell that is able to possess a person with the soul of someone else.
- Possession Counter Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Uenes Fes Matos Et Somnos. Ex Totum Ex Um Maleo Matos. A spell that is able to reverse the effects of the Possession Spell.
- Energy Spell: A spell that is able to conjure and invoke the power of another witch.
- Resurrection Spell: Vitas Phasmatis, Ex Salito, Revertas Phasmatis. Ut Vectas, Vitas Phasmatos, Ex Salito. A spell that able to resurrect the dead.
- Protection Spell: A spell that is able to protect a person from any harm caused by the supernatural.
- Ring of Fire Spell: A spell that is able to prevent a person from leaving the inside of a drawn circle of fire.
- Transformation Spell: A spell that is able to decrease or increase the speed of a werewolf’s transformation.
- Binding Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Melan Veras Raddiam, Onu Pavadus Ponemus. A spell that is able to bind the life-force of a person to body of someone else.
- Original Killing Spell: Infero Eseri Gratas, Disasustos Vom, Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! Victamas Veras! Phesmatos Tribum, Niha Sue Exilum, Disasustos Vom, Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! Levam, Mina Sue Te, Disasustos Vom, Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! Phesmatos Veras! Fes Matos Tribum, Mas Pro Tes Unum! Victas Ex Melam, Phesmatos Vanem! Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! A powerful spell that is able to kill an Original Vampire.
- Spirit Possession Spell: Phesmatos Manex Un Domo Hax, Fero Adiuvex'. A spell that is able to temporarily possess a being with the spirit of deceased person.
- Extinguisher Spell: Sutas Incenda! A spell that is able to extinguish the flames of a fire.
- Paralysis Spell: A spell that is able to absorb the knowledge of another person.
- Banishing Spell: Phasmatos Redux Redismo Sus Terra. A spell that is able to remove the presence of an unwanted person or spirit.
- Manifestation Spell: Phasmatos Obscuras, Ex Luces Est Nes Umbres. A spell that is able to reveal the presence of a ghost to the living.
- Object destroying Spell: Universa Ruina In Tenebras Ra Damis Infinitum! De Lon Dem Ex Nahal da Six! A spell that is able to destroy a certain object or talisman.
- Opening Spell: Phasmatos Siprum, Emnis Abortum, Fasila Quisa Exilum San! A spell that is able to open or to unlock a certain door or object.
- Re-Opening Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Melan Veras, Et Vasa Quisa, Exu Quisa! Another spell that is able to open or unlock a certain door or object.
- Sealing Spell: Sigalis Intransium, Exalis Exalis, Omnas Quisa Operum, Sigalis Intransium, Exalis Exalis! Omnaben Libras, Sigalis Intransium, Exalis Exalis! Omnas Quisa Operum, Exalis Exalis! A spell that is able close or open a certain object.
- Body Preservation Spell:A spell that is able to preserve a dead body so it will not decay
- Blood Link Ritual: Phasmatos Inta Grum Vin Callus Amalon Callagius Accodum. Cosom Naben Dox Callagius Amalon Gaeda Callagius. Ceremum Descendium Vinum. Phasmatos Inta Grum Callus. Cosom Naben Dox. A spell that is able to link two or more people together.
- Privacy Spell: When sage is burned, this spell that is able to deafen a vampire from listening in on private conversations.
- Nature Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Melan Veras. Phasmatos Tribum, Melan Veras. A spell that is able to enhance the growth of a flower or plant.
- Blood Link Reversal Spell: Phasmatos Ex Solves, Exis Pa Unas Animotos. Phasmatos Di Conjunctos, Sol Facto Dos Male! Phasmatos Ex Solves, Exis Pa Unas Animotos, Di Conjuncto Sol Facto! Phasmatos, De Vos Male! A spell that is able to link every Original Vampire together as one.
- Weapon-Binding Spell: Vescaram Anta Intacurum, Vescalis Dissendis Divinitum! Ex Tutum Tatum, Dimentum Talos! Dox Toxem, Dox Malum! Dox Divinitum! A spell that is able to create an indestructible weapon.
- Boundary Spell: A spell used to prevent someone(s) from leaving the boundaries of an area.
- Boundary Counterspell: Merabas Hic Libatal, Confremun Signas. Omus Quisa Tentum Exalis, Merabas Hic Libatal Confremun Signas. Omus Quisa Tentum Exalis. A spell that is able to counteract the effects of a Boundary Spell.
- Locator Spell: ''Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Viras Sequita Saguines Ementas Asten Mihan Ega Petous! A spell that allows the witch to locate someone by pouring their blood on a map.
- Heart Stasis Desiccation Spell: Ocoros Mecante, Aleora Subsitos! Ocoros Mecante, Aleora Subsitos! Olo Santire, Dis Et Brav! Ocoros Mecante, Aleora Subsitos! A spell that temporarily stops a human heart while an Original Vampire's heart is being stopped so that the Original can be successfully desiccated.
- Heart-Reviving Spell: An Duca Tuas, Animos! A spell that is able to revive a human heart.
- Suicide Spell: “Phesmatos Tribam, Mihan Veras Ractas, Mas Anima Mal Vita Caturam Hors. Suus Phesmatos Oproctum, E Tiamis Mihan Ractas, Somus Suster Gana. Phesmatos Tribam, Mihan Veras Ractas, Mas Anima Mal Vita, Caturam Hors! Somos Suster Gana, Phesmatos Tribam, Mihan Veras Ractas! Mas Anima Mal Vita, Caturam Hors. Revertas Phasmatis Ut Victas, Revertas Phasmatis Ut Victas, Phesmatos Tribum, Mihan Veras Ractas! Mas Anima Mal Vita, Caturam Hors!” - A spell which temporarily causes the death of the witch who casts it.
- Spirit Transference Spell: “Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Radamis Phasmatos Ex Sonos! Resustamen Ex Veram Vatas! Radamis Phasmatos Ex Sonos!” - A spell that switches the consciousness from one body to another.
- Hunter-Creating Spell: "Phesmatos Sintu Corpora, E It A Rero, Quest Ero Immortalis. Phesmatos, Victoris, E Insipio Exu Ne Moris. Sintasia Sintu Corpora, Quest Ero Immortalis!" An incantation performed by a witch in the 12th Century which created The Brotherhood of the Five by binding them by fire.
- Expression-Cleansing Spell: " Phesmatos Tribum Nas Ex Viras, Purgal Animum Sous Obscarus. Phesmatos Repallus Tantian, Maltuscanum Anium Par Vas!" A spell performed by Aja and her coven in an attempt to cleanse Bonnie Bennett of Expression Magic.
- Resurrection Spell: "Phesmatos Raverus On Animun! Phesmatos Raverus On Animum! Phasmatos Raverus On Animum!" An incantation performed by Bonnie that combined Spirit, Dark and Expression magic in order to resurrect Jeremy permanently.
- Pregnancy Identification Spell: a spell used to identify if another is in fact pregnant. Jean Anne used it to figure out if Hayley was in fact pregnant with the child of Niklaus. The witch uses salt to make special symbols on the ground and lights candles around the area while humming in order to gain confirmation. It was also used to bind Sophie to Hayley in order to control hers and the baby's life.
- Vision Spell: "Os Est Infantina Malum! Nos Omnia Perdetu El Eam!" A prophetic spell uttered by Sabine while scrying for the gender of Hayley's baby.
- Mind Connection Spell : "Jaryakat en zem Daryeet acza" A spell that is able to connect mind of two people.
- Brain-Linking Spell: "Adatu Khan Leala Ghan Breatvis Shemil!" - A powerful spell in a circle of herbs performed by Qetsiyah that linked Silas to Stefan and used Stefan's energy to fry Silas's brain, rendering his mental powers useless.
- Ancestral Magic Locator Spell: used to find Elijah and Davina (Requirement: Incantation unknown, map, ashes, pocket watch) the spell would call up wind to move the ashes forming a path on the map while holding the pocket watch
- Ancestral Magic Charge Spell: used to help Katie save Thierry by taking the power of the ancestral dead into herself so she would have enough power to save Thierry. was cast by sprinkling salt and focusing
- Mass Pain Infliction Spell: (Used by Katie) to save Thierry it is similar to the pain infliction power but on a much larger scale that it caused the lights to explode and bring the vampires down (incantation unknown)
- Insanity Hex: "Torsion." Used by Agnes to curse Cami's twin brother to progressively lose his sanity and kill thirteen clergy members before taking his own life.
- The Harvest: A powerful Ritual used by the New Orleans Coven to recharge the powers their ancestors provide. It requires the sacrifice of four of their own daughters and the power to flow back into the earth before the Reaping. If this is not done the witches will lose their powers and cease to be Witches.
- Heart-Desiccation Spell: "A Vita Exahi! Isespotro Adimasero!" Used by Qetsiyah to reach into Silas's chest and squeeze a major vein in his heart so he would desiccate.
- Advanced Locating Spell: "Viteto Broshe Tarem Carmanifestofe" 'Used by Qetsiyah to find out the location of her mystical anchor trough visions.
- Spell of Unknotting: Phesmatos omnio ligor coldate sangorium...Phesmatos omnio ligata soluto...Phesmatos omnio ligata soluto vingulia cordit used by Davina as her first spell by unlinking Hayley and Sophie by using a sanguinium knot for representational magic.
- Anchor Transference Ritual: A powerful ceremony performed by Qetsiyah to replace Amara with Bonnie as the Anchor to The Other Side. Blood was channeled from Amara, Katherine and Elena over Bonnie's grimoire and became a triquetra symbol before turning into fire. "Im A Pran Khos Suptia Jhem Ai Pada Khe Rassatam! Im A Pran Khos Suptia Jhem Ai Pada Khe Rassatam! Im A Pran Khos Suptia Jhem Ai Pada Khe Rassatam! Ai Pada Se Rassatam! Ai Pada Se Rassatam! Ai Pada Se Rassatam! Ai Pada Se Rassatam!"
- Sun-Bound Isolation Spell: Cast by Silas on Qetsiyah's cabin to keep her trapped until sundown since the spell was bound by the sun. Created by Qetsiyah who taught the spell to Silas.
- Passenger Spell: Cast by Katherine on Elena to become a passenger in Elena's head. "Jaryakat a zem. Daryeet acza."
- Harvest Hijacking Spell: "Sacqua Sandupeya SacaCul DeLa Mer Domua...Domua." (Cast by Celeste)A powerful spell used to hijack the energy and the power of the harvest ritual and use it for your own intentions.
- Desiccation Spell: Symbole du masque et de l'ombre, embrase-toi. Embrase-toi - A powerful spell that could desiccate an Original Vampire like Rebekah Mikaelson within seconds.
- Permant Passenger Control Spell: "Razatomo Eta-Ani Hofrazatomo Eta-Ani Dumi Polo Vazatani Dumi Oro Vazatomo Dumi Polo Vazatomo Eta-Vani Vazatamo Dumi Polo" A powerful,singing spell used trough traveller magic.It gives the passenger in someone's body complete control over the host and leaves the host unable to come forth.
- Insanity Hex: "Thuris Ofumodetile-Spee." A powerful hex used to drive the victim crazy,which eventually leads them to harming those around them and eventually suicide.
- Fire Channeling spell: "Femme Shelout Visior Ofernum Vita La Monteya NoVitala!Femme Shelout Visior Noferma Vita La!" A powerful spell used to channel the energy of the fire and pour it onto a certain place,evoking fire from every object inside of it.
- Traveller Pain Infliction Spell: "Evas Elabuk Estupey!" A powerful spell,used by traveller witches to inflict pain and eventually knock out the target.
- Ancestral Bone Locating Spell: "Saeset Fues Menaile Sunnu Mene Mesabis Ashe." A spell that calls upon the ancestors to reveal someone's body or bones.Used by Sophie.
All Known Witches
|Silas||Silas is a extremely powerful witch who became the worlds first immortal. He was later cured of his immortality after 2,000 years.||Deceased|
|Qetsiyah||She is a extremely powerful witch, along with Silas, they created the spell of immortality. She was able to resurrect herself when the veil was dropped.||Deceased|
|Ayana||She was a member of the Bennett Family and she was Esther's mentor and her best friend.||Deceased|
|Esther||She was a very powerful witch and the creator of the vampires in the New World. Esther is Mikael's wife and the Original Children's mother.||Deceased|
|The Witch of The Five||She created the hunter marks on members of The Five. She died soon after the spell was cast.||Deceased|
|Katerina's Father||Katerina's father was killed by klaus but was said to be a traveller.||Deceased|
|Katerina Petrova||She revealed to Nadia that her father was a Traveller passing his gene to her, making Katherine a witch.||Deceased|
|Emily Bennett||She was a powerful witch and Katherine's handmaiden. Emily was tried and burned at the stake for the people of Mystic Falls.||Deceased|
|Celeste DuBois||She was a powerful witch who was a lover of Elijah who cheated death by possessing the bodies of other witches. Before her death, she possessed the witch Sabine.||Deceased|
|Genevieve||She is a witch who has history with Marcel and Rebekah. She lived in the early 1900's and worked as a nurse. She befriended Rebekah and summoned Mikael to New Orleans. She initially died of influenza and was later resurrected by Celeste Dubois after the Harvest.||Alive|
|Clara Summerlin||Clara was a nurse and friend of Genevieve who lived back in the early 1900's. She was possessed by Celeste Dubois and later died of influenza.||Deceased|
|Gloria||Gloria was a flamboyant soothsayer and also an excessively powerful Voodoo witch. Gloria was killed by Katherine.||Deceased|
|Valerie LaMarche||Valerie was an evil powerful witch. She used Damon to get access to magic even worse then dark magic called expression by using him to get the 12 sacrifices which are needed to access it.||Deceased|
|Bryane Deveraux||Bryane was another presumable witch who hanged around Marcel and was also possessed by Celeste Dubiois whom which placed the curse on Hayley's werewolf family.||Deceased|
|Nandi LaMarche||She is Val's daughter and is a good witch unlike her mother. Nandi sells herbs and homeopathic remedies, and performs spells for tourists.||Alive|
|Sheila Bennett||She was the grandmother of Bonnie Bennett. After performing an exhausting spell to open the door of the tomb underneath Fell's Church, Sheila returned home where she slowly passed away. She lives as a ghost on the Other Side where she remains watchful of her granddaughter and communes with the spirits of other witches.||Deceased|
|Bastianna Natale||Bastiana was an Elder of the New Orleans Coven. She was involved and believed in The Harvest. She was initially killed in the Harvest by one of Marcel's vampires and was later resurrected by Celeste Dubois. However, she was killed a second time by Marcel Gerard.||Deceased|
|Agnes||Agnes was an Elder of the New Orleans Coven that worked as a fortune teller. She was killed by Elijah Mikaelson for trying to harm Hayley and the baby.||Deceased|
|Jonas Martin||Dr. Jonas Martin was an powerful witch and also the father of Greta and Luka Martin. He was killed by Katherine and Stefan.||Deceased|
|Bree||She was a friend of Lexi and Lee and the former lover of Damon Salvatore. She was killed by Damon.||Deceased|
|Gregor||He was Nadia Petrova's boyfriend and a member of The Travellers. He was first killed by Nadia to gain Silas's trust and permanently killed by Katherine Pierce.||Deceased|
|Davina's mother||She was the mother of Davina Claire. She was killed by one of Marcel's vampires for attempting to sacrifice her own daughter.||Deceased|
|Maddox||He was one of Niklaus' witches. Maddox was killed by Matt and Damon.||Deceased|
|Massak||Massak was a witch in association with Atticus Shane. He was killed by Katherine.||Deceased|
|Lucy||She is a powerful witch and member of the Bennett Family.||Alive|
|Aja||Aja was a powerful witch and former friend of Abby Bennett Wilson, who comes to Mystic Falls to help cleanse Bonnie of her magic. She was killed by Caroline Forbes.||Deceased|
|Caitlin Shane||Caitlin Shane was a witch who is Atticus' deceased wife and his leading motivation to raise Silas.||Deceased|
|Jane-Anne Deveraux||Jane-Anne Deveraux was a powerful and devout witch that believed in the Harvest. She was killed by Marcel Gerard.||Deceased|
|Sabine||Sabine was a renowned tour guide in New Orleans. She was also a member of the New Orleans Coven until she became possessed by the witch, Celeste Dubois. She is later killed by Celeste.||Deceased|
|Alphonz Bellatunde Delgallo||Alphonz Bellatunde Delgallo aka Papa Tunde was an extremely powerful and dangerous warlock who was brought back to life by Celeste during the Harvest. He sacrificed himself and was killed by Celeste Dubois.||Deceased|
|Sophie Deveraux||Sophie was a member of the New Orleans Coven, younger sister of Jane-Anne Devereaux, and aunt of Monique Devereaux. She is later killed by her newly resurrected and corrupted niece, Monique, for not having faith in the Harvest.||Deceased|
|Katie||Katie was a powerful witch who worked in Jardin Gris. She was in love with Thierry and helped him to work against the witches out of love till her demise.||Deceased|
|Greta Martin||She was one of Niklaus' witches and Jonas' daughter and Luka's sister. She was by killed Damon Salvatore.||Deceased|
|Bonnie Bennett||She is one of the only main witches in the TV Series. Bonnie is Elena and Caroline's best friend. After becoming the Anchor to the Other Side, Bonnie lost her access to magic although she still considers herself a witch.||Deceased|
|Luka Martin||He was a member of the Martin Family and one of Elijah's witches. He was killed by Damon Salvatore.||Deceased|
|Davina||Davina is a teenage witch and close friend/ally of Marcel Gerard. Growing up, she's been very sheltered, but that won't last very long with Klaus and Elijah storming into town. She was killed by Sophie Devereaux to complete The Harvest ritual but later resurrected after Bastiana's death.||Alive|
|Monique Deveraux||Monique Deveraux is the daughter of Jane-Anne Deveraux and the niece of Sophie Deveraux. She sacrificed in the Harvest ritual and was later resurrected after Papa Tunde's death.||Alive|
|Mia||Mia was a Traveller who helped Katherine Pierce escape death by permanently sealing her spirit in Elena Gilbert's body. She was later killed by Katherine herself.||Deceased|
|Kristoff was a friend of Gregor that came for his knife and a Traveller, he was killed by Damon Salvatore.||Deceased|
|Rene was a friend of Kristoff who had come to take care of Silas, he was also a Traveller and also killed by Damon Salvatore.||Deceased|
|Liv Parker||Liv Parker is a young inexperienced witch who goes to college with Bonnie.||Alive|
|Sloan||Sloan was one of the Travellers.||Alive|
|She was mentioned by Atticus Shane. Unknown if she was legitimately a witch.||Unknown|
- Ironically, witches (who are supposed to be the Servants of Nature) are responsible for disrupting the Balance of Nature.
- The Salvatore Doppelgänger Line was started as a result of Silas becoming truly immortal.
- Esther cast the Immortality Spell on her family, leading to the birth of the vampire race.
- Greta Martin broke The Hybrid Curse, freeing Klaus' werewolf side and allowing him to create more hybrids.
- Bonnie Bennett was indirectly responsible for helping Esther wedge open the door to The Other Side, allowing ghosts with unfinished business to interact with the living world.
- Bonnie also united Spirit Magic, Dark Magic and Expression to resurrect Jeremy Gilbert resulting in her death.
- According to Rebekah, since witches are nature's servants, and vampires are an abomination of nature, a person can not be both a witch and a vampire. If a witch is turned into a vampire, their magical powers will vanish. Bonnie Bennett's mother, Abbey lost her magic after being turned into a vampire. Her connection to Nature was severed.
- Although Luka and Jonas Martin told Bonnie that they preferred to be called "warlocks", other males who practice magic are referred to as witches, like their female counterparts.
- Damon Salvatore was responsible for the majority of the deaths of the witches throughout the TV series, until Caroline Forbes inadvertantly kills twelve linked witches while trying to stop them from killing Bonnie, who was being brainwashed by Silas.
- Honoria Fell and Theophilia Flowers were the only witches introduced in the novels.
- According to Shane, witches are the most oldest and most powerful supernatural creatures in this world, and are responsible for all of the other known supernatural creatures, such as vampires, doppelgängers, and The Brotherhood of the Five, a group of vampire hunters.
- Silas was a powerful witch before he gained immortality by becoming the world's first Immortal.
- Most witches in the series have come from The Bennett Family, who are direct descendents of Qetsiyah, an ancient and extremely powerful witch.
- As shown with Bonnie, it is possible to use more than one type of magic at once, however the results are very dangerous. However, it should be noted that Bonnie attempt to use Expression, Dark, and Spirit magic all at once, so it may be possible to use a combination of two of them and survive.
- In Sinners and Saints, it is revealed that Klaus and Hayley's unborn daughter will be the death of all witches.
- Most of the known witches listed above are now deceased or mid living and dead, such as Bonnie.
- In Fifty Shades of Grayson, Katherine reveals that her father was a traveller, making him a warlock, as well as making Katherine a witch.
- In Apres Moi, Le Deluge, it is stated by both Elijah and Rebekah that The Originals may have been witches.
- List of Witches - a complete list of all witches who have appeared in the series.