|“||Now, in reality, or in this reality at least, witches appear to cross every culture in history. They're the architects of the supernatural; responsible for everything that goes bump in the night from ghosts to vampires to doppelgängers.||”|
A witch is a person with the power to affect change by magical means ("Witchcraft"). A witch can be either female or male, as they connect with the elements and forces of nature in order to practice sorcery.
The Balance of Nature
The Balance of Nature is a belief system based around the observance of Mother Nature and the reverence of Spirits. The goal of many witches is to honor the design of nature and to maintain balance within the world. The balance of nature is intimately tied to one's spiritual relationship with the Earth, and the ideal that all things (e.g. animals, humans, life, etc.) are considered sacred, as they are all different aspects of nature. Contemporary witches would also agree that using modern ceremonies, rituals and shamanic practices is the best way to attune themselves with the natural rhythms of the universe in their efforts to obtain guidance and knowledge from wiser known witches called "The Spirits". However, according to a witch named Gloria, who referred to herself as "old school voodoo", it is implied that not all witches follow this belief system, and have the free will to choose how they wish to practice their power.
Humans who practice magical powers are called "witches". The origin of witchcraft remains unknown, however witches have existed for many centuries, passing down their knowledge and skills through generations. Contrary to popular belief, witches do not receive their powers from demons, nor do they worship the devil. Instead, witches consider themselves as the Servants of Nature, as they make it their job to maintain balance within the world.
Types of Magic
Magic (Witchcraft) is the power to affect change by supernatural means. Magic can often be split into bright and dark, though depending on the situation may also be neutral. Magic is a genetic heredity that connects a person to the elements and forces of nature in order to practice witchcraft.
Traditional Magic is the most common form of witchcraft among modern-day witches. Traditional Magic draws energy from the forces of nature and may be used however the witch sees fit. Although Traditional Magic is very popular among the witchcraft community, it also very exhausting. Due to the fact the witch is exerting their own energy, the witch may experience symptoms of dizziness, fatigue, and minor nose bleeds. Bonnie Bennett explained the limits of this power to Jeremy Gilbert, saying that if she pushed too hard, it would push back.
Spirit Magic is another popular form of magic that draws on the energy of Higher Powers, specifically powerful dead witches who remain on the Other Side. Unlike other forms of magic, a witch can only use Spirit Magic however the spirits see fit. If a witch abuses the magic bestowed upon them, the spirits may break the connection, preventing the witch from harnessing their power. Bonnie Bennett once channeled the energy of one hundred dead witches in her attempt to kill Klaus. However, after she used the power to resurrect her dead boyfriend, the spirits declined Bonnie from further channeling them, as they viewed resurrection spells as a violation against nature.
Ancestral Magic is a form of sorcery commonly used among the witches of New Orleans. Similar to Spirit Magic, this form of sorcery draws energy from the dead ancestors of a witch in a certain location and can be used however the spirits see fit. However, according to Elijah Mikaelson, this power can only be harnessed from the location of where the witches died, meaning that should the witch abandon the area, they will be rendered powerless. This magic is dependent on "The Harvest ", a magical ritual occuring once every three centuries involving the sacrifice of four young witches chosen during a rite. They are left ignorant of their sacrifice right up until the final moments of their life. In the sequence by which they die each witch pass on their power to the remaining others. When the final sacrifice is made the magic returns their power to the earth and therefore the Ancestral Spirits as payment for them to continue supplying the magic to the witches of New Orleans. Though if a witch is left alive she will absorb all the immaculate power meant for the spirits and gain extranatural powers when compared to the average witch. Like Expression, if this magic isn't controlled it will consume the witch and cause them to harm those around them. Unless the ritual is completed all the witches of New Orleans will lose their power and cease to be witches.
Dark Magic (Black Magic) is a form of sorcery that draws on malevolent powers, and may be used for negative purposes (e.g. to cause destruction or misfortune, to injure or kill, or for the profit of oneself rather than for the benefit of others.) In popular usage, the term "dark magic" is often used to describe any form of magic that disobeys the laws of nature.
Expression is an extremely dark form of magic that draws on darkness that doesn't exist on the natural plane without harming it. The details and history of expression remain unknown, however according to Nandi, the forces of expression are considered so powerful that many witches discredit it as magic, for it expands beyond the limitations of both traditional and contemporary forms of witchcraft.
- Channeling: The act of invoking or summoning extra forms of energy by focusing on celestial events.
- Divination: The act of divining future, past, and present events based off extrasensory perception.
- Clairvoyance: The practice of divination through the perception of emotions, objects, people, or physical phenomena.
- Mediumship: The practice of communicating with the spirits of the dead. **Premonitions: The practice of divination through the observation and study of dreams.
- Psychometry: The practice of divination through contact with or proximity to a certain object or person.
- Sensory: The practice of psychically detecting the use of magic and the location of the witch.
- Special Psychic Gifts: Some witches, such as Sophie, develop special psychic abilities. Sophie claims she has the special gift of detecting whether or not someone is pregnant.
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, and water.
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and controlling events through the use of charms, hexes, rituals, etc.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movement of objects and persons through mental influence.
- Witches Brew: The act of brewing and concocting magical potions.
- Candles: Materials used to amplify a witch’s spell.
- Grimoires: A family journal documented with ancient recipes, rituals, and spells.
- Herbs and Stones: Materials used as ingredients for brewing and concocting paranormal potions.
- Talismans: Materials used to amplify a witch’s power.
- Disbelief: The act of denying or disbelieving in ones magical potential could cause a witch to inadvertently suppress their paranormal power.
- Fear: A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the condition or feeling of being afraid could cause a witch to temporarily lose their powers.
- Mortality: Based off the fact that witches are still human, they share many of the same weaknesses as non-supernatural beings (e.g. age, decapitation, disease, heart-failure, suffocation, etc.)
- Overuse of Magic: The excessive use of magic could lead a witch to death from overexertion.
One of the major sources of power for witches originates from the Earth, which is considered the purest form of magic. Witches are naturally attuned to Nature allowing them to “literally” feel the Earth. In addition, witches can also channel energy from the elements.
Colloquially known as the Spirits of Nature, spirits are highly involved in the activities of witches. Spirits often commune and aid witches in their rituals and spells. Being the conscience of Nature, they establish the sacred laws and guidelines of witchcraft. While many witches are faithful servants of these spirits, some witches defy their laws and are often punished. Spirits can also be channeled as an additional power source in witchcraft.
Witches typically have a natural distaste for Vampires as they are commonly perceived amongst their community as abominations. Retrospectively, many vampires, such as Klaus, see witches as nothing more than tools to be used to fulfill a vampire's needs, but some vampires, like Kol, hold witches in high esteem and respect them.
Though witches and Werewolves have very little interaction, they are known to be the oldest of supernatural creatures as both predate the existence of vampires.
Similarly to werewolves, witches are bonded by a code of loyalty to help and protect each other, commonly being regarded as members of an “extended family”. However, some witches disregard this bond and act solely for their own personal gain.
Spells and Rituals
- The Hybrid Curse: The Hybrid Curse is an extremely powerful spell that was bewitched onto Klaus, to prevent him from triggering his werewolf powers.
- Sacrifice Ritual Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Salve Sorce Das. Phasmatos *Eliximo Nominum, Etrinox Sorce Sotero Callux Oxtara. A spell that is able to reverse the effects of The Curse of the Sun and Moon.
- Day-Walking Medallions: A spell that is able to grant a vampire the power to walk freely in the sunlight.
- Gilbert Rings: A spell that is able to prevent death to its wearer by any supernatural occurrence.
- Gilbert Device: A spell that is able to incapacitate vampires and werewolves, whenever it is activated.
- Tomb Spell: A spell that prevents a vampire from exiting outside of a tomb located beneath Fell’s Church.
- Tomb Counter Spell: Phasmatos Salves Nas Ex Malon,Terra Mora Vantis Quo Incandis, Et Vasa Quo Ero Signos. A spell that is able to reverse the effects of the tomb spell.
- Pentagram Spell: Incendia! A spell that is able to create a field of fire over a pentagram. It was used to destroy the Bennett Talisman.
- Fire Spell: Ex Spiritum In Taculum, En Terrum Incendium, Phasmatos Salves A Distum! A spell that is able to decrease and/or increase the intensity of a fire.
- Healing Spell: A spell that is able to heal a person of injury.
- Linking Spell: A spell that is able to link two or more people together.
- Isolation Spell: A spell that is able to prevent a certain person from exiting outside of a room.
- Reduction of Pain Spell: Asinta Mulaf Hinto. A spell that is able to reduce the physical pain of another person.
- Locator Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Viras Sequita Saguines Ementas Asten Mihan Ega Petous. A spell that is able to locate a certain object and/or person.
- Message Spell: A spell that is able to send a message to a certain person through space by burning the message over a flame.
- Instability Spell: Terra Mora Vantis, Quo Incandis! A spell that charges the personal item of someone with energy when it is turned to ash and is able to incapacitate a certain person.
- Hypnosis Spell: A spell that is able to hypnotize a certain person into revealing their inner secrets.
- Disempowerment Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Exum Sue, Redem Su Pas Quo. A spell that is able to remove a witch from their powers.
- Astral Projection Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Es Tas Sue Sasta Nanse, Transum Viso. Mas Tenas Quisa, Nas Metam! A spell that is able to transport the spiritual body of a person to another area within the world.
- Possession Spell: Somno Ritum Per Dax Ritum. A spell that is able to possess a person with the soul of someone else.
- Possession Counter Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Uenes Fes Matos Et Somnos. Ex Totum Ex Um Maleo Matos. A spell that is able to reverse the effects of the Possession Spell.
- Energy Spell: A spell that is able to conjure and invoke the power of another witch.
- Resurrection Spell: Vitas Phasmatis, Ex Salito, Revertas Phasmatis. Ut Vectas, Vitas Phasmatos, Ex Salito. A spell that able to resurrect the dead.
- Protection Spell: A spell that is able to protect a person from any harm caused by the supernatural.
- Ring of Fire Spell: A spell that is able to prevent a person from leaving the inside of a drawn circle of fire.
- Transformation Spell: A spell that is able to decrease or increase the speed of a werewolf’s transformation.
- Binding Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Melan Veras Raddiam, Onu Pavadus Ponemus. A spell that is able to bind the life-force of a person to body of someone else.
- Original Killing Spell: Infero Eseri Gratas, Disasustos Vom, Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! Victamas Veras! Phesmatos Tribum, Niha Sue Exilum, Disasustos Vom, Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! Levam, Mina Sue Te, Disasustos Vom, Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! Phesmatos Veras! Fes Matos Tribum, Mas Pro Tes Unum! Victas Ex Melam, Phesmatos Vanem! Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! A powerful spell that is able to kill an Original Vampire.
- Spirit Possession Spell: Phesmatos Manex Un Domo Hax, Fero Adiuvex'. A spell that is able to temporarily possess a being with the spirit of deceased person.
- Extinguisher Spell: Sutas Incenda! A spell that is able to extinguish the flames of a fire.
- Paralysis Spell: A spell that is able to absorb the knowledge of another person.
- Banishing Spell: Phasmatos Redux Redismo Sus Terra. A spell that is able to remove the presence of an unwanted person or spirit.
- Manifestation Spell: Phasmatos Obscuras, Ex Luces Est Nes Umbres. A spell that is able to reveal the presence of a ghost to the living.
- Object destroying Spell: Universa Ruina In Tenebras Ra Damis Infinitum! De Lon Dem Ex Nahal da Six! A spell that is able to destroy a certain object or talisman.
- Opening Spell: Phasmatos Siprum, Emnis Abortum, Fasila Quisa Exilum San! A spell that is able to open or to unlock a certain door or object.
- Re-Opening Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Melan Veras, Et Vasa Quisa, Exu Quisa! Another spell that is able to open or unlock a certain door or object.
- Sealing Spell: Sigalis Intransium, Exalis Exalis, Omnas Quisa Operum, Sigalis Intransium, Exalis Exalis! Omnaben Libras, Sigalis Intransium, Exalis Exalis! Omnas Quisa Operum, Exalis Exalis! A spell that is able close or open a certain object.
- Body Preservation Spell:A spell that is able to preserve a dead body so it will not decay
- Blood Link Ritual: Phasmatos Inta Grum Vin Callus Amalon Callagius Accodum. Cosom Naben Dox Callagius Amalon Gaeda Callagius. Ceremum Descendium Vinum. Phasmatos Inta Grum Callus. Cosom Naben Dox. A spell that is able to link two or more people together.
- Privacy Spell: When sage is burned, this spell that is able to deafen a vampire from listening in on private conversations.
- Nature Spell: Phasmatos Tribum, Melan Veras. Phasmatos Tribum, Melan Veras. A spell that is able to enhance the growth of a flower or plant.
- Blood Link Reversal Spell: Phasmatos Ex Solves, Exis Pa Unas Animotos. Phasmatos Di Conjunctos, Sol Facto Dos Male! Phasmatos Ex Solves, Exis Pa Unas Animotos, Di Conjuncto Sol Facto! Phasmatos, De Vos Male! A spell that is able to link every Original Vampire together as one.
- Weapon-Binding Spell: Vescaram Anta Intacurum, Vescalis Dissendis Divinitum! Ex Tutum Tatum, Dimentum Talos! Dox Toxem, Dox Malum! Dox Divinitum! A spell that is able to create an indestructible weapon.
- Boundary Spell: A spell used to prevent someone(s) from leaving the boundaries of an area.
- Boundary Counterspell: Merabas Hic Libatal, Confremun Signas. Omus Quisa Tentum Exalis, Merabas Hic Libatal Confremun Signas. Omus Quisa Tentum Exalis. A spell that is able to counteract the effects of a Boundary Spell.
- Locator Spell: ''Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Viras Sequita Saguines Ementas Asten Mihan Ega Petous! A spell that allows the witch to locate someone by pouring their blood on a map.
- Heart Stasis Desiccation Spell: Ocoros Mecante, Aleora Subsitos! Ocoros Mecante, Aleora Subsitos! Olo Santire, Dis Et Brav! Ocoros Mecante, Aleora Subsitos! A spell that temporarily stops a human heart while an Original Vampire's heart is being stopped so that the Original can be successfully desiccated.
- Heart-Reviving Spell: An Duca Tuas, Animos! A spell that is able to revive a human heart.
- Suicide Spell: “Phesmatos Tribam, Mihan Veras Ractas, Mas Anima Mal Vita Caturam Hors. Suus Phesmatos Oproctum, E Tiamis Mihan Ractas, Somus Suster Gana. Phesmatos Tribam, Mihan Veras Ractas, Mas Anima Mal Vita, Caturam Hors! Somos Suster Gana, Phesmatos Tribam, Mihan Veras Ractas! Mas Anima Mal Vita, Caturam Hors. Revertas Phasmatis Ut Victas, Revertas Phasmatis Ut Victas, Phesmatos Tribum, Mihan Veras Ractas! Mas Anima Mal Vita, Caturam Hors!” - A spell which temporarily causes the death of the witch who casts it.
- Spirit Transference Spell: “Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Radamis Phasmatos Ex Sonos! Resustamen Ex Veram Vatas! Radamis Phasmatos Ex Sonos!” - A spell that switches the consciousness from one body to another.
- Hunter-Creating Spell: "Phesmatos Sintu Corpora, E It A Rero, Quest Ero Immortalis. Phesmatos, Victoris, E Insipio Exu Ne Moris. Sintasia Sintu Corpora, Quest Ero Immortalis!" An incantation performed by a witch in the 12th Century which created The Brotherhood of the Five by binding them by fire.
- Expression-Cleansing Spell: " Phesmatos Tribum Nas Ex Viras, Purgal Animum Sous Obscarus. Phesmatos Repallus Tantian, Maltuscanum Anium Par Vas!" A spell performed by Aja and her coven in an attempt to cleanse Bonnie Bennett of Expression Magic.
- Resurrection Spell: "Phesmatos Raverus On Animun! Phesmatos Raverus On Animum! Phasmatos Raverus On Animum!" An incantation performed by Bonnie that combined Spirit, Dark and Expression magic in order to resurrect Jeremy permanently.
- Pregnancy Identification Spell: a spell used to identify if another is in fact pregnant. Jean Anne used it to figure out if Hayley was in fact pregnant with there child of Niklaus. The witch uses salt to make special symbols on the ground and lights candles around the area while humming in order to gain confirmation. It was also used to bind Sophie to Hayley in order to control hers and the baby's life.
- Vision Spell: "Os Est Infantina Malum! Nos Omnia Perdetu El Eam!" A prophetic spell uttered by Sabine while scrying for the gender of Hayley's baby.
- Mind Connection Spell : "Jaryakat en zem Daryeet acza" A spell that is able to connect mind of two people.
- Brain-Linking Spell: "Adatu Khan Leala Ghan Breatvis Shemil!" - A powerful spell in a circle of herbs performed by Qetsiyah that linked Silas to Stefan and used Stefan's energy to fry Silas's brain, rendering his mental powers useless.
- Ancestral Magic Locator Spell: used to find Elijah and Davina (Requirement: Incantation unknown, map, ashes, pocket watch) the spell would call up wind to move the ashes forming a path on the map while holding the pocket watch
- Ancestral Magic Charge Spell: used to help Katie save Thierry by taking the power of the ancestral dead into herself so she would have enough power to save Thierry. was cast by sprinkling salt and focusing
- Mass Pain Infliction Spell: (Used by Katie) to save Thierry it is similar to the pain infliction power but on a much larger scale that it caused the lights to explode and bring the vampires down (incantation unknown)
- Insanity Hex: used by Agnes to curse Cammi's twin brother to progressively lose his sanity and kill thirteen clergy members before taking his own life.
- The Harvest: A powerful Ritual used by the coven of New Orleans to recharge the powers their ancestors provide. It requires the sacrifice of four of their own daughters and the power to flow back into the earth before the Reaping. If this is not done the witches will lose their powers and cease to be Witches.
- Heart-Desiccation Spell: "A Vita Exahi! Isespotro Adimasero!" Used by Qetsiyah to reach into Silas's chest and squeeze a major vein in his heart so he would desiccate.
- Advanced Locating Spell: "Viteto Broshe Tarem Carmanifestofe" 'Used by Qetsiyah to find out the location of her mystical anchor trough visions.
- Spell of Unknotting: Phesmatos omnio ligor coldate sangorium...Phesmatos omnio ligata soluto...Phesmatos omnio ligata soluto vingulia cordit used by Davina as her first spell by unlinking Hayley and Sophie by using a sanguinium knot for representational magic.
- Anchor Transference Ritual: A powerful ceremony performed by Qetsiyah to replace Amara with Bonnie as the Anchor to The Other Side. Blood was channeled from Amara, Katherine and Elena over Bonnie's grimoire and became a triquetra symbol before turning into fire. "Im A Pran Khos Suptia Jhem Ai Pada Khe Rassatam! Im A Pran Khos Suptia Jhem Ai Pada Khe Rassatam! Im A Pran Khos Suptia Jhem Ai Pada Khe Rassatam! Ai Pada Se Rassatam! Ai Pada Se Rassatam! Ai Pada Se Rassatam! Ai Pada Se Rassatam!"
- Sun-Bound Isolation Spell: Cast by Silas on Qetsiyah's cabin to keep her trapped until sundown since the spell was bound by the sun. Created by Qetsiyah who taught the spell to Silas.
All Known Witches
|Silas||Silas is a extremely powerful witch who became the worlds first immortal. He was later cured of his immortality after 2,000 years.||Deceased|
|Qetsiyah||She is a extremely powerful witch, along with Silas, they created the spell of immortality. She was able to resurrect herself when the veil was dropped.||Deceased|
|Ayana||She was a member of the Bennett Family and she was Esther's mentor and her best friend.||Deceased|
|Esther||She was a very powerful witch and the creator of the vampires in the New World. Esther is Mikael's wife and the Original Children's mother.||Deceased|
|The Witch of The Five||She created the hunter marks on members of The Five. She died soon after the spell was cast.||Deceased|
|Emily Bennett||She was a powerful witch and Katherine's handmaiden. Emily was tried and burned at the stake for the people of Mystic Falls.||Deceased|
|Gloria||Gloria was a flamboyant soothsayer and also an excessively powerful Voodoo witch. Gloria was killed by Katherine.||Deceased|
|Valerie LaMarche||Valerie was an evil powerful witch. She used Damon to get access to magic even worse then dark magic called expression by using him to get the 12 sacrifices which are needed to access it.||Deceased|
|Nandi LaMarche||She is Val's daughter and is a good witch unlike her mother. Nandi sells herbs and homeopathic remedies, and performs spells for tourists.||Alive|
|Sheila Bennett||She was a Bennett witch. After performing an exhausting spell to open the door of the tomb underneath Fell's Church, Sheila returned home where she slowly passed away.||Deceased|
|Bastiana||Bastiana was one of the witches who was involved and believed in The Harvest.||Deceased|
|Agnes||Agnes was a witch and a fortune teller. She was also member of the New Orleans Coven.||Deceased|
|Jonas Martin||Dr. Jonas Martin was an powerful witch and also the father of Greta and Luka Martin. He was killed by Katherine and Stefan.||Deceased|
|Bree||She was a friend of Lexi and Lee and the former lover of Damon Salvatore. She was killed by Damon.||Deceased|
|Davina's mother||She was the mother of Davina Claire. She was killed by one of Marcel's vampires for attempting to sacrifice her own daughter.||Deceased|
|Maddox||He was one of Niklaus' witches. Maddox was killed by Matt and Damon.||Deceased|
|Massak||Massak was a witch in association with Atticus Shane. He was killed by Katherine.||Deceased|
|Lucy||She is a powerful witch and member of the Bennett Family.||Alive|
|Aja||Aja was a powerful witch, with a connection to Bonnie Bennett's mother, Abby Bennett Wilson, who comes to Mystic Falls to help cleanse Bonnie of her magic. She was killed by Caroline Forbes.||Deceased|
|They were close friends of Aja and were part of her coven. They combined their powers to help cleanse Bonnie Bennett of expression, a very dark and powerful source of unnatural magic. Once they found out that Silas had a hold on her and he was why she was practicing expression they tried to kill her, but before they managed to do so Caroline stabbed Aja in the heart with a knife that Aja intended to use on Bonnie to kill her but because Aja and the eleven witches were linked they all died due to Aja dying.||Deceased|
|Caitlin Shane||Caitlin Shane was a witch who is Atticus' deceased wife and his leading motivation to raise Silas.||Deceased|
|Jane-Anne Deveraux||Jane-Anne Deveraux was a powerful witch. She will appear in The Originals.||Deceased|
|Sabine||Sabine is a tour guide in New Orleans. She is also a member of the New Orleans Coven.||Alive|
|Sophie Deveraux||Sophie is a witch in her late 20s early 30s, whose magic has been compromised and she's not happy about it.||Alive|
|Katie||Katie was a powerful witch who worked in Jardin Gris. She was in love with Thierry and helped him to work against the witches out of love till her demise.||Deceased|
|Greta Martin||She was one of Niklaus' witches and Jonas' daughter and Luka's sister. She was by killed Damon.||Deceased|
|Bonnie Bennett||She is one of the only main witches in the TV Series. Bonnie is Elena and Caroline's best friend.||Deceased|
|Luka Martin||He was a member of the Martin Family and one of Elijah's witches. He was killed by Damon.||Deceased|
|Davina||Davina is a teenage witch, she is 16 years old. Growing up, she's been very sheltered, but that won't last very long with Klaus and Elijah storming into town.||Alive|
|Monique Deveraux||Monique Deveraux was a witch. She was the daughter of Jane-Anne Deveraux and the niece of Sophie Deveraux.||Deceased|
|She was mentioned by Atticus Shane. Unknown if she was legitimately a witch.||Unknown|
- Ironically, witches (who are supposed to be the Servants of Nature) are responsible for disrupting the Balance of Nature.
- The Salvatore Doppelgänger Line was started as a result of Silas becoming truly immortal.
- Esther cast the Immortality Spell on her family, leading to the birth of the vampire race.
- Greta Martin broke The Hybrid Curse, freeing Klaus' werewolf side and allowing him to create more hybrids.
- Bonnie Bennett was indirectly responsible for helping Esther wedge open the door to The Other Side, allowing ghosts with unfinished business to interact with the living world.
- Bonnie also united Spirit Magic, Dark Magic and Expression to resurrect Jeremy Gilbert with unknown consequences.
- According to Rebekah, since witches are nature's servants, and vampires are an abomination of nature, a person can not be both a witch and a vampire. If a witch is turned into a vampire, their magical powers will vanish. Rebekah's mother Esther was a witch, so it is assumed that she (and possibly her siblings) would have been a witch if their family hadn't been turned into vampires.
- Although Luka and Jonas Martin tell Bonnie that they prefer to be called "warlocks", the other males who practice magic are referred to as witches, like their female counterparts.
- Damon Salvatore was responsible for the majority of the deaths of the witches throughout the TV series, until Caroline Forbes inadvertantly kills twelve linked witches while trying to stop them from killing Bonnie, who was being brainwashed by Silas.
- Honoria Fell and Theophilia Flowers were the only witches introduced in the novels.
- According to Shane, witches are the most oldest and most powerful supernatural creatures in this world, and are responsible for all of the other known supernatural creatures, such as vampires, doppelgängers, and The Brotherhood of the Five, a group of vampire hunters. It is possible that there are other supernatural creatures that have not been introduced yet.
- Silas was a powerful witch before he gained immortality by becoming the world's first vampire.
- Most witches in the series have come from The Bennett Family, who are direct descendents of Qetsiyah, an ancient and extremely powerful witch.
- As shown with Bonnie, it is possible to use more than one type of magic at once, however the results are very dangerous. However, it should be noted that Bonnie attempt to use Expression, Dark, and Spirit magic all at once, so it may be possible to use a combination of two of them and survive.
- In Sinners and Saints it is revealed that Klaus and Hayley's unborn daughter will be the death of all witches.
- Most of the known witches listed above are now deceased or mid living and dead, such as Bonnie.
- List of Witches - a complete list of all witches who have appeared in the series.