|“||When the full moon crests in the sky, whoever is unlucky enough to fall under the werewolf curse turns into a wolf. [...] If it were a choice, it wouldn't be called a curse. Werewolves will attack humans. But instinct and centuries of rivalry have hardwired them to hunt their prey of choice -- Vampires.||”|
— Vanessa Monroe on werewolves
Werewolves (also called Lycanthropes, Loup Garou, and Beasts) are a formerly near-extinct supernatural species of individuals who unwillingly transform into fearsome and extremely hostile wolves on the night of the full moon. Even in their human form, werewolves possess superhuman physical prowess, but not to the same level as a vampire and not as powerful as the abilities they have on a full moon. These creatures are the most dangerous enemies of vampires, due to their bite, which is lethal to them. Werewolves are also hardwired to kill vampires on sight in their wolf form, though they still hunt human prey whenever there are no vampires to kill.
Triggering The Werewolf GeneA werewolf has to kill a human in order to trigger their werewolf gene in order to activate their powers. It also does not matter if the kill was accidental or intentional, the werewolf gene will still be activated. After the gene is triggered, the werewolf's eyes will turn yellow and their powers will activate instantly. A werewolf who has yet to trigger his or her curse will only exhibit increased aggression and overwhelming fits of rage during nights of the full moon. Also, until then, they are considered to not be supernatural, as Damon was able to compel Tyler just like any other human before Tyler triggered his werewolf gene.
According to Jackson, at least two werewolf packs have been around since what he calls the "beginning," which could be referring to the beginning of the werewolf race. Also, it was revealed that spirit magic totally stripped tyler of his werewolfism but kept the curse untriggered, which suggests that either another branch of magic was responsible for their creation or they were a creation of nature itself.
The Middle Ages
Not much is known about the history of werewolves, except that they existed before vampires, who were known to be created 1,000 years ago. The who, how, when and why the werewolf species was created is currently unknown. Since they call their supernatural condition a curse, it may very well be a magical curse placed on the original members of their species by witches. However, if this is the case, it has yet to be proven. Werewolves actively populated the New World during the early Middle Ages as Viking invasions began in Europe. Most, if not all, of the land's inhabitants were werewolves and they lived along side one another in villages. They also lived alongside humans and, to protect their loved ones, they made sure that they had access to natural means of protection during the time that they were changed. One of the most notable locations of a werewolf village was in what is now present-day Mystic Falls. Beneath the area was a series of tunnels that provided protection for the humans when the werewolves turned on the full moon. One clear rule of the village was that the humans were forbidden from being around the wolves while they were transformed.
A notable event in the history of the werewolves comes with the arrival of inhabitants of the 'Old World,' where a plague had been devastating the population. The newcomers included Mikael, his wife Esther, and Esther's witch mentor and friend, Ayana. Having lost their first (and, at the time, only) child in Europe, Mikael and Esther wanted to be able to raise a family in a place free from illness, and Ayana eventually led them to the New World where they could live in peace. The villagers accepted the new family and they became an integral part of of the village life, with Ayana acting as the local healer and contact with the spirits. Mikael and Esther finally began their family again, giving birth to five sons and a daughter: Elijah, Finn, Niklaus, Kol, Rebekah and Henrik. However, when Henrik and Niklaus broke the rule one night and went to see the wolves turn, Henrik was ultimately killed by the turned wolves. Determined to not lose anymore family, but also not wanting to run anymore, Mikael and Esther used a forbidden ritual to turn their children and Mikael himself into indestructible beings who possessed stronger and more attuned reflexes than the werewolves, a race that would later be know as the vampires. However, the ritual had unexpected side effects, and the newly-turned family's lust for blood eventually led them to shatter the peace of their village, unable to resist feeding on the innocent inhabitants of the town. When Niklaus made his first human kill, Esther's darkest secret came to light: Niklaus was not Mikael's son, but instead was the son of one of the werewolf villagers. Killing a human activated his werewolf gene, turning him into a vampire/werewolf hybrid. Furious at his wife's betrayal, Mikael slaughtered her lover and half of the remaining villagers, igniting the war that still exists to this day between the werewolves and the vampires.
After the slaughter and their mother's death at Niklaus hands, the Original family scattered and begun traveling the Old and New Worlds, turning other people into vampires. The war between vampires and werewolves came to a head when vampires discovered that a bite from a werewolf could kill them, and therefore set about massacring the entire werewolf race to protect themselves from death at the werewolves' hands. The werewolves (also known as lycanthropes or Loup Garou) were driven to near-extinction by the massacres, and vampires who were turned after the genocide even began to believe that werewolves were a mere myth.
In reality, werewolves had survived and reorganized themselves into packs to help one another evade the vampires, as well as to help each other through their very painful transformations during full moons.
- Village of werewolves killed by Mikael sometime in the 900s. Lana also killed by Mikael in 1919 in Le Grand Guignol.
- Multiple werewolves (turned into hybrids) were killed by Niklaus Mikaelson in Season Three and Season Four.
- Mason Lockwood killed by Damon Salvatore in Plan B.
- Brady killed by Stefan Salvatore in Crying Wolf.
- Stevie and three unknown members of Jules pack killed by Elijah Mikaelson in Crying Wolf.
- Jules killed by Niklaus Mikaelson in The Sun Also Rises.
- Ray Sutton killed by Stefan Salvatore in The Hybrid.
- Paige and Paige's Pack killed by Stefan Salvatore and Niklaus Mikaelson in The Hybrid.
- Tyler Lockwood killed by Niklaus Mikaelson in The Reckoning.
- Dwayne killed by Tyler Lockwood both times in Bloodletting.
- Werewolf hunt led by Diego in Reigning Pain in New Orleans.
- Unnamed werewolves killed by Rebekah Mikaelson in Crescent City.
- Eve is the first werewolf to be killed by another werewolf in An Unblinking Death.
- Unnamed werewolves killed by explosion in An Unblinking Death.
- Hayley is the first werewolf seen killed by a witch and the eleventh killed. (Papa Tunde attack on the Guerrera Family is first instance of witches killing werewolves.)
- Tyler Lockwood killed by anti-spirit-magic spell in Home
- Niklaus, Elijah, Marcel, and Hayley kill multiple werewolves including the Guerrera wolves in Rebirth.
- All Guerrera Family Werewolves are dead.
- Mikael kills several moonlight ring werewolves at Rousseau's
- Elijah and Oliver kill a large number Moonlight Ring Werewolves in a parking lot in Live and Let Die
Werewolves in Mystic Falls
Werewolves have existed in the area of Mystic Falls, Virginia since the 10th century. When the Mikaelson Family moved to the New World after the death of their first-born son, the witch, Esther had an affair with an unknown werewolf this resulted in the birth of Niklaus.
Years later their youngest son Henrik was attacked and killed by a werewolf when he and Klaus wanted to watch them shift during the full moon. Mikael became paranoid and convinced Esther to use a modified version of the immortality spell to ensure that their family would live forever and remain safe from werewolves. This resulted in the creation of vampirism, as well as the Hybrid Curse, which Esther placed on Klaus to suppress his werewolf side. Mikael also massacred the majority of the village and even killed Klaus' biological father, which started the rivalry between the werewolves and the vampires that rages on to this day.
Werewolves were presumed extinct for centuries until 1864, when George Lockwood inadvertantly killed various townsfolk in his werewolf form after triggering his curse, and the blame for the deaths was ultimately placed on the towns sizable vampire population. However during the first Founder's Day ball, Katherine Pierce informed George that she knew what he was and blackmailed him into helping her escape the vampire-hunt that the town was planning. In exchange, George wanted the moonstone Katherine had stolen from Klaus centuries prior. They both helped each other, and once Katherine escaped town, she never spoke to him again.
During the centuries, various Lockwood family members have triggered the curse, typically as a result of being provoked while struggling to control the rage they were cursed with, such as in the case of Mason and Tyler Lockwood.
New Orleans WerewolvesIn the 1900's in New Orleans, some of the werewolves were involved with criminal activity and formed an organized crime syndicate and family, called the Guerrera Family, who made a deal with Elijah and Klaus to keep the Originals' existence a secret from federal law in exchange for the profit that could be made by the Guerrera family by smuggling alcohol through the Mikaelsons' ports, as Prohibition was about to begin in the US during that time. In the year 1919 most of them were killed by Papa Tunde when they refused to cave to his demands, and he put their heads on stakes as a warning to others
Decades later, the royal Labonair Family, along with another royal family who also comes from well-known Crescent Wolf pair of bloodlines, wanted their children, Andrea Labonair (also known as Hayley Marshall) and Jackson, to get married in order to once again reunite the Crescents in full so that they could take New Orleans back from the vampires. But, it didn't go on as planned, and ultimately, the Labonairs were nearly all killed by vampires, and the head vampire at the time, Marcel, convinced a witch to curse the remaining Crescent wolves by casting a spell that forced them to stay in their wolf form at all times except for each full moon, when they returned to their human form.Decades later, the Originals returned to New Orleans and moved in to the Mikaelson Mansion with werewolf Hayley Marshall, one of the last surviving members of the Labonair family who was pregnant with Klaus Mikaelson's hybrid child. She soon discovered soon that a werewolf was watching her after the witch Sabine told her that the werewolf was drawn to her because of the miracle child she and Klaus created. When a faction of witches tried to kill Hayley and her unborn child, the werewolf following Hayley attacked and killed all the witches, saving her life. When Hayley is stuck at the Bayou with Elijah, someone dropped a Bible with her family's names and birthdates recorded inside; it was later revealed that a distant relative of Hayley named Eve had left it for Hayley. Eve later explained that the vampires made a witch curse all the surviving werewolves who bore the crescent-moon-shaped birthmark that indicated they were members of the Crescent Wolf Clan. Klaus, desperate to regain control of New Orleans and knowing the vampires didn't trust him, quickly ordered the the vampires to kill all the werewolves to win their favor, but Hayley, afraid for her family, begged Elijah and Rebekah to protect and save them from the vampires. They soon discovered that werewolves from around America were coming to New Orleans to see Hayley and her yet-unborn hybrid baby for themselves. One of the werewolves from the Northeast Atlantic Clan, Cary, had a ring that identified him as a descendant of Klaus' biological father, and was thus kin to both Klaus and his daughter.
Klaus then changed his mind about the slaughter of the werewolves, and asked the priest Kieran O'Connell to help protect his people in secret. During the first full moon after Hayley learned about her pack, she planned on having a party at the plantation house for the wolves, as their curse only allowed them to be in their human forms on the full moon. Unknown to anyone, some of the werewolves and the witches made a deal to have their curse lifted if they brought Klaus' sister Rebekah to the woods to be assaulted by the uncursed werewolves while they were transformed. They were able to do this by having Oliver pretend to be interested in Rebekah and lead her out to the woods. Meanwhile, Jackson met with Hayley and talked about their family history.
Jackson reveals he was the wolf that was protecting Hayley and explained that they were intended to be married in order to unite the Crescent Wolf Clan and take New Orleans back from the vampires. He told her that the other wolves will follow her and reclaim their city. Jackson then informed her that a witch said they would lift their curse because of Hayley, but Haley immediately realized that it was a trap, because she hadn't made a deal with any witches. Rebekah was attacked by the werewolves in the woods and incapacitated by their bites (though, as an Original, their bites were not fatal to her), while the witches trapped Jackson and Hayley inside and set the house on fire. The two were only saved by Elijah, who managed to break into the house and escort them to safety at the last minute, at the expense of Klaus and Rebekah, who were being attacked at the same time.
After Elijah ultimately took over control of the city from his brother Klaus, he quickly met with representatives from the vampire, human, and witch factions in order to draw up a new peace treaty. Angry at being excluded, Hayley crashed their meeting and insisted that the werewolves be given a seat at the table as well, and threatened them with violence if their demands weren't met. After discussing it with Klaus, Elijah ultimately decided to have a party for all five factions (the Originals, the vampires, the witches, the werewolves, and the humans), and though there was a lot of in-fighting between the groups, they were eventually able to all sign a peace treaty that pleased everyone, including the werewolves, though they were still banned from the French Quarter.
Unhappy with the fragile peace between the factions, Klaus sought his own agenda by allying himself with the werewolves, with the intention of making a new army of empowered werewolves, using a "moonlight ring" spell of his mother's creation from the 900s that involved casting a spell on a black kyanite stone. Any werewolf with this enchanted stone (usually worn in jewelry such as rings) would be able to access their full powers at all times, including strength, speed, and venomous bites that are lethal to vampires. Klaus worked closely with the Crescent wolves and a witch, Genevieve, with whom he had been hooking up, to create the rings, though they ran into obstacles, namely the interference on the vampires' part, as Marcel and the other vampires knew that these rings would result in the extinction of vampires. In the end, Klaus was forced to work with Francesca Correa, a well-known matriarch of a drug cartel and casino enterprise, to gain the black kyanite stones that were needed to create the rings.
The majority of the supernatural population of New Orleans, including Klaus and Hayley, were under the impression that Francesca and her many brothers were humans, but they were ultimately revealed to be untriggered Guerrera werewolves who had been pretending to be human while they plotted to take back the city they believed belonged to them. They were also revealed to be working with Genevieve against the Mikaelsons and Hayley, and stole the stones for the Guerrera wolves instead of the Crescents (although some, like Oliver, ended up with one.) They also handed over Hayley and her unborn child to the witches so that they could both be sacrificed in the name of more power for the witch community. Unbeknownst to them, the baby's hybrid blood remained in Hayley's system, which caused her to transform into a hybrid instead of dying, and the Mikaelsons ended up rescuing the baby, who they named Hope, before she was to be sacrificed. Still, the Guerrera werewolves, led by Francesca, and with the support of many of the Crescent wolves, gained control over the city, and banned the vampires from the French Quarter.
After Marcel's defeat, the werewolves became the dominant force of the city. With the death of Witch Elder Genevieve, the last resurrected Harvest girl, Cassie, returned from the dead. Secretly, she was being possessed by the leader of the New Orleans Coven, Esther, the mother of the Originals and creator of the vampire race. Determined to ride the world of her creation, Esther continued Genevieve's alliance with the Guerreras, producing Moonlight rings for them. Gradually, more and more werewolves begun to join the Guerreras in their new dominion of the city. The first to join were the members of the Crescent Wolf Clan, led by Oliver. The humans did not care much for the change of leadership as long as money and tourism continued so that they could fill their own pockets. In fact, it is possible that they would benefit greatly from Francesca's plans to create new installations such as casinos after demolishing ancient New Orleans buildings. Any vampire who entered the Quarter were sentenced to immediate execution and no witch or human was allowed to interfere.
The Mikaelsons sealed themselves away from the world in their house, selling their grief to the world while the Guerreras strengthened their hold over the Quarter. However, secretly, they were assessing the lay of the land: Elijah Mikaelson was focused on locating the twelve rings that could incapacitate Klaus so that their bearers would be his first targets. Marcel was gathering stashs of wolfsbane and making plans for the rebuilding of a vampire community.
Like normal humans, werewolves can eat normal food if they wish. However, because they turn into ferocious beasts during the full moon, they are flesh-eating creatures. When they feed, it is absorbed throughout the body and they consume organs or body parts, but they do not have to feed in order to prolong their existence like vampires. There are no known consequences from abstaining from human or vampire flesh while in werewolf form. It seems that most werewolves do not get to feed because most tend to lock themselves up during the full moon, or are scared or distracted away from their victim before they can eat. Werewolves have not been seen to attack each other in human or lupine form, but have been known to hunt both human and vampire prey while transformed under the full moon. Jules, for example, was seen to be horrified when she woke up to find she'd slaughtered a group of campers after she had attacked Rose the previous evening. Unstable hybrids also have the urge to attack vampires regardless of what form they are in, as witnessed in The Hybrid when a werewolf, Ray Sutton, instinctively attacks the vampire Damon Salvatore instead of pursuing its first choice, Elena Gilbert.
Werewolves in their wolf form are quite similar to natural wolves, although unlike natural wolves, werewolves have glowing yellow or orange eyes, wicked fangs, and a much more feral and predatoral appearance. They can also be distinguished from regular wolves by their displays of supernatural strength, blurred speed, and size which is comparible to fully grown humans. The fur color of wolf forms differs from one to the other (e.g., Tyler Lockwood's fur color is dark brown, Mason Lockwood's is white and grey, Jules is light brown and a hint of white, and Hayley's is a white and brown). Werewolves appear the same as any other human the rest of the month, aside from their enhanced abilities of speed, strength, and healing.
Werewolf TransformationA werewolf will only transform in to a wolf under a full moon. The first transformation is quite slow and the person is subjected to at least five or six hours of intense, bone-breaking pain before the actual transformation. After the first transformation it will get faster, but is still painful. During the transformation, the body of the person is twisted in an unnatural manner as bones reshape and shift to form a wolf’s skeleton, causing the person immense physical and psychological pain. Later, the werewolf grows excessive body hair and becomes feral. Their eyes turn yellow, and their teeth elongate into canines, before finally transforming into its wolf shape. A werewolf returns to their human form after a few hours, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. After the first transformation the werewolf will experience muscle aches. Older werewolves can control themselves to some extent on the night of the full moon, but many find it necessary to dose themselves with wolfsbane to weaken them before they lock themselves up in chains to prevent hurting anyone while they're transformed.
Werewolves are known to be aggressive, strong and fast, even in human form. Tyler Lockwood often had trouble controlling his temper. Those with the werewolf curse still latent can exhibit some supernatural traits which can be triggered by aggression, along with unusual physical strength for the person's given size and age, but they cannot fully transform, and they also black out when they go blind with rage for seemingly no reason. Werewolves seem to have a strong sense of duty to protect their own, and display an intense loyalty to each other. Also, werewolves have a higher body temperature than humans. When Tyler first activates his curse he states that his skin feels as if it's on fire. With the curse activated, their eyes turn yellow (the eyes of a wolf) while enraged, as Mason's eyes did when he stopped the fight between Tyler and Carter (Brave New World), or when feeling threatened, such as when Hayley's eyes turned yellow while she was defending herself against a group of witches. Activating the curse is also painful, as werewolves have been seen to double over in pain before their eyes change for the first time.
While some werewolves prefer to keep to themselves and keep their beastly natures hidden, most seem to aggregate themselves into packs and residing in areas isolated from general human society so they can run free on the full moons without fear of hurting or killing anyone.
In 1864, George Lockwood attacked several humans and killed them, leaving horrific wounds on the corpses, (essentially ripping them apart) much worse than some vampires would have. This is evident when Henry tells Katherine that the wounds "worse than anything he had ever seen before." Despite this, and with the cooperation of Katherine Pierce, who was running from The Originals, George was able to convince the Mystic Falls Town Council that vampires were responsible, which lead to their round up. It is unknown if George continued his attacks afterward, or if he adapted to his nature.
Code of Loyalty
Werewolves are very similar to witches when it comes to their own kind. Unlike the vampires, werewolves are more sworn to loyalty and will often bond with other werewolves they meet. They form packs and work with each other as sort of an extended family. The bond of loyalty between werewolves is strangely strong, while changed under full moons, the only things they do not attack are other werewolves (triggered curse or not). This code does seem to extend to Klaus' hybrids too. It's possible that another reason why Klaus' hybrids were loyal, aside for the sire bond between them, was because of their werewolf heritage.
La Luna Sanguinis
According to Finn, once the werewolves had a ritual by which, on a blood moon, they would hunt and purposefully trigger their curse, willingly enduring the pain in exchange for the strength. This is in stark contrast to many modern day werewolves, who shy away from the curse at all costs.
Powers and Abilities
Werewolves' strength and speed are enhanced and are at their peak during time under a full moon. When angered or threatened, these powers and abilities are temporarily enhanced;
- Super Strength - Werewolves have supernatural strength, making them far stronger than any human; however, not to the same extent as vampires. On several occasions, untriggered werewolves have been seen to possess more strength than average humans, which would indicate some form of enhanced strength even before the activation of their curse. However, werewolves are not as strong as a vampire whilst in human form, and have been shown to be far weaker on several occasions. When they are in their wolf form, during the full moon, their powers amplify to a degree that excels that of the non-Original vampires, making them more powerful than non-Original vampires. In wolf form, a werewolf can overpower and kill any non-original vampire with ease.They can also defeat an Original Vampire in small groups, as four of them were able to overwhelm Rebekah although she killed two of them, and two in human form using the moonlight stones were able to restrain Elijah long enough to incapacitate him with their toxic bites.
- Super Speed - Werewolves are much faster than humans. They possess this ability both in and out of transformation with an animalistic quickness. However, the power is faster at night than in the day, due to the moon's presence, and the speed increases greatly when the werewolf is transformed during the full moon. Some werewolves are shown to become nearly a blur like their vampire enemies; others have not. In wolf form, however, while under the influence of the full moon, they can use their speed to swiftly chase down their choice of prey, even vampires, as their speed rivals that of most vampires or possibly even exceeds it-- during the battle between Elijah and Marcel's army, the fleeing vampires were all caught by the moonlight-ring-empowered werewolves who managed to appear in front of them and set up ambushes.
- Super Agility - Werewolves possess superhuman agility. Either in wolf or even in human form, they have demonstrated that they can move, jump very high, climb, flip, and run incredibly fast without difficulty or exhaustion.
- Super Durability - Werewolves can take far more trauma than humans and vampires can without nearly as much discomfort or injury. They can also exert themselves for longer periods without tiring.
- Healing Factor - Werewolves possess superhuman regenerative abilities, meaning that if they are physically injured, their bodies will heal rapidly. Like vampires, werewolves can heal from the most grievous of injuries, even in human form, albeit rather slowly in comparison to vampires. However, unlike vampires, when a werewolf’s neck is broken, they stay dead. Still, while vampires heal faster than werewolves, werewolves are more difficult to injure. Matt Donovan shot Tyler Lockwood in wolf form and it reverted him into human form.The next day the wound was still there.
- Superhuman Senses - Werewolves have the extremely keen, heightened, animal senses of smell, sight, taste, hearing and touch inherent in all canines. Because they are supernatural and have powers that excel their wolf counterparts, they can hear, see, and smell better than that of regular canines. With this, experienced werewolves such as Jules could sniff out vampires - something vampires themselves are incapable of - and Tyler sensed vervain placed in coffee, which would otherwise be impossible since the flavor is usually hidden by the coffee.
- Werewolf Bite - A werewolf's venom is extremely lethal to non-Original Vampires. While an Original Vampire cannot die from the venom, they are not wholly immune to the effects of the bite. For Non-Original vampires, the venom acts as an infection that will spread throughout the body, producing discomfort and weakness. All vampires will ultimately develop uncontrollable hunger that progresses to delusions, hallucinations, rabid rage, and dementia. After that point, non-Original vampires will finally die, though many are "mercy-killed" before that point.
- Full Moon - A werewolf's strength and speed is enhanced and at their peak during a full moon .
- Moonlight Ring - The moonlight ring allows a werewolf to use the immense power of their wolf-form, along with making their bites lethal to vampires 24/7, while still remaining in their human forms. The ring allows them to partially shift by only accessing their glowing eyes, fangs (with werewolf venom), and enhanced abilities such as super-speed, super-strength, super-agility, and enhanced senses.
- Shapeshifting - During a full moon, they will unwillingly transform from their human form and into their wolf form. However, if a female werewolf is pregnant, they will not turn for nine months as the transformation would kill the baby. There are ways to induce this trait outside of the Moon's influence, though. Such ways would be to become a Hybrid, and through the possession of a Moonlight Ring. These two are so far the only known methods of volutarily controlling a Werewolf's transformed state. Hybrids will sometimes use this ability to break their sire bond or to deal with the pain.
- Lycanthrope Enhancement -Werewolves are able to make their eyes glow when angry or threatened, but only for a short amount of time. When a werewolf is furious or forced to defend themselves, their anger increases all their power and abilities for a short period of time, which allows them to defend them self's from non-Original vampires they logically can't defeat them. It is also much like a
- Immunity to Silver - Werewolves are immune to magic bonded to silver. Weapons made of silver might wound them, but the wound still heals at supernatural rates and will not be fatal to them.
Former Powers and Abilities
- Lie Detection - During a conversation between Jules and Caroline. Jules reveals that there is a werewolf ability allowing werewolves to sense if you're speaking the truth.
Vampires and Werewolves can be damaged in the same ways humans are and briefly weakened, but wereolves are mortal and can be killed by severe damage and are even we
- Broken Neck - Breaking a werewolf's neck will results in instant death.
- Wolfsbane - When ingested, wolfsbane causes a werewolf to become severely weak and feverish. Also, If a werewolf's skin is exposed to wolfsbane, it will burn them.
- Magic - Witches are able to curse and inflict any supernaturals with enhanced healing abilities with aneurysms that cause the blood vessels in their brains to explode and heal over and over again.
- Heart Extraction - Ripping a werewolf's heart out will result in instant death.
- Blood Loss - If a werewolf is severely wounded and bleeds out before they can heal, they can die. As when Stefan threw a stake into one's jugular, the werewolf bled out and died before it could fully heal, as well as when Klaus impaled the werewolf Paige through the chest.
- Decapitation - Decapitation will result in instant death for a werewolf.
- Presumably Fire - Fire can presumably kill a werewolf. It can also hurt them.
- The Devil's Star - The Devi's Star can cause one thousand cuts onto another's body, regardless of species. As they are mortal, it will most likely kill them.
- Suffocation - Unlike Vampires,which after their lungs collapse as they are already dead are reanimated, a werewolf will die from lack of oxygen, meaning they can die by drowning or being smothered.
- Physical Trauma - Minor physical injuries such as gunshots, stab wounds and broken bones will cause a werewolf pain and will also slow them down. However, this is only temporary, as they will heal completely within minutes.
- Power Suppression Necklace: As seen in Every Mother's Son, Esther made a necklace to suppress Niklaus's anger and powers as an untriggered wolf ,rendering him weak, but in control of his emotions. It is unknown if these types of jewelry would work on a triggered werewolf or a hybrid.
- Gilbert Device - Invented by Johnathan Gilbert (enchanted by Emily Bennett), the device was a weapon designed to emit a high-frequency noise that could only be heard by vampires and werewolves, which incapacitated them by giving them intensely painful headaches.-It no longer works.
- Silver - They are not weakened by or allergic to silver, as Mason explained after Damon stabbed him with a silver knife. Mason guesses that the myth was probably started by werewolves. It has the opposite effect – when a werewolf is wounded by silver, it heals. That's why Klaus can't be neutralized by the white oak daggers.
- Wolfsbane - Several myths have spanned around the herb and its relation to and effects upon werewolves, inlcuding that wolfsbane supposedly either causes or cures lycanthropy.
Appearances in Wolf Form
The Vampire Diaries
|Niklaus' Father||He was an Alpha werewolf whom Esther had an affair with, which Klaus was the outcome. His name and history are unknown.||Deceased|
|Jacob Lockwood||Jacob Lockwood was the mayor of Mystic Falls in the 1800s.||Deceased|
|Benjamin Lockwood||Benjamin Lockwood was the mayor of Mystic Falls in 1864.||Deceased|
|Barnette Lockwood||Barnette was a member of the Founder's Council and the carrier of the werewolf gene.||Deceased|
|George Lockwood||George was the first known member of the Lockwood family to trigger the werewolf gene. He is the son of Benjamin Lockwood.||Deceased|
|The Guerrera Family||The Guerrera Family were a crime family of werewolves who worked with the originals in the early 1900's. They were killed by Papa Tunde.||Deceased|
|Lana||Lana was queen of the Crescent werewolf clan in 1919. She was killed by Mikael.||Deceased|
|Hayley's father||He was Hayley's Father and part of the crescent clan. He was killed in the 1990's.||Deceased|
|Hayley's Mother||He was Hayley's Father and part of the crescent clan. He was killed in the 1990's.||Deceased|
|Richard Lockwood||Richard was the mayor of Mystic Falls before being killed by Charlie. He is also the older brother of Mason and father of Tyler.||Deceased|
|Mason Lockwood||Mason was Richard Lockwood's brother and Tyler's uncle. He aided Katherine Pierce in her attempt to find the moonstone.||Deceased|
|Jules||Jules was a friend of Mason Lockwood. She and her boyfriend Brady kidnapped Caroline Forbes so that they could leave with Mason's nephew, Tyler, and help him adjust to his new life as a werewolf. She was killed by Klaus as a sacrifice to break the hybrid curse.||Deceased|
|Brady||Brady was the boyfriend of Jules and friend of Mason. After the disappearance of Mason, Brady and his wolf pack traveled to Mystic Falls to avenge his death.||Deceased|
|Stevie||Stevie was a member of Jules' pack. He helped Jules capture Damon in an attempt to find the moonstone.||Deceased|
|Eve||Eve is a werewolf relative of Hayley Marshall who lives in the Louisiana bayous with others of her family, and helped shed some light of Klaus' werewolf family. She had never activated the wolf gene. She was killed by Oliver.||Deceased|
|Cary||Cary is the descendant of Niklaus' Father and relative to Klaus. After he and his friends were rescued by Elijah and Rebekah, his origins were shed when shown he was in possession of Esther's ring.||Alive|
|Francesca Correa||Francesca is a descendant of the Guerrera Family and has recently activated her werewolf side. She was killed by Hayley.||Deceased|
|Jackson||Jackson is a descendent of a royal werewolf family in New Orleans. Jackson is the werewolf who has been watching over Hayley and is later revealed to be betrothed to her.||Alive|
|Oliver||Oliver is a werewolf of New Orleans.||Alive|
|Domonique Correa||Domonique is a brother of Francesca's and has recently activated his werewolf gene.||Deceased|
|Antonio Correa||Antonio is a brother of Francesca's and has activated his werewolf gene.||Deceased|
|Carlos Correa||Carlos is a brother of Francesca's and has activated his werewolf gene.||Deceased|
|Benito Correa||Benito is a brother of Francesca's and has activated his werewolf gene.||Deceased|
|Chance is a werewolf who was part of Brady's group.||Deceased|
|Tyler Lockwood||Tyler Lockwood was a Hybrid that was turned back into a werewolf.||Alive|
|[[File:|center|150px]] Ansel||He is a pack leader.||Alive|
|Aiden||Aiden is an upcoming werewolf to debut in the originals.||Alive|
|Blake||He is an upcoming character||Alive|
|Mary||She is an upcoming character||Alive|
|[[File:|center|150px]] Nick||He is aidens younger brother who is an untriggered werewolf.||Alive|
- There are few bloodlines that can be traced back to the beginning of werewolf history. These bloodlines are considered royalty.
- Werewolves procreate sexually, the gene carried down through their bloodlines, rather than by turning others via a bite as in other forms of werewolf lore
- Werewolves are the antithesis to vampires, as vampires are typically solitary creatures, while werewolves are meant to be in packs/families.
- Jules once mentioned that werewolves are able to detect if they're being lied to. However, this has never been demonstrated by her or any other werewolf as a supernaturally endowed power or a basic skill. It is possible that she was only being facetious.
- Mystic Falls, New Orleans, and Portland are all known to be werewolf hotspots. However, the wolves of New Orleans were driven out by the vampires, and now there is only one werewolf in Mystic Falls, Tyler Lockwood, whose resurrection brought him back as an untriggered werewolf.
- Hayley is the first pregnant werewolf in the series.
- This also makes her the first werewolf to not transform at a full moon without being a hybrid, or needing a moonlight ring.
- When turned into hybrids, werewolves retain all their werewolf traits such as glowing eyes, with the additional bloodshot eyes of a vampire.
- Mason Lockwood was the first full-blooded werewolf seen on the show and the first werewolf seen in wolf form.
- Jules was the first female werewolf on the show.
- Every werewolf to appear on The Vampire Diaries (TV Series) has been killed.
- Like actual wolves, werewolves travel in packs.
- Werewolves are an older species than vampires, as Klaus' father and other members of the Original family's village were werewolves long before The Originals turned into vampires.
- In the books, The Original Pack, Tyler Smallwood, Caroline Forbes, Caroline's unborn twin children and Jacob Smallwood were the only werewolves.
- In the series, it wasn't officially known that the Lockwoods had the werewolf gene until Bad Moon Rising, though it was hinted in some episodes.
- First was The Turning Point. After the scene Tyler hit Jeremy, Jeremy tried to apologize, and when Tyler rejected him, Jeremy asked him "What is your problem, man?" Tyler claims he doesn't know, but a full moon can be seen in the sky, explaining his aggressive behaviors.
- It was also hinted in Founder's Day. When John activated the device that would incapacitate vampires, both Tyler and his father were also able to hear the noise, causing Tyler to lose control of the car and wreck; his eyes also briefly turned yellow when being looked at by a paramedic.
- According to an interview, the werewolf transformation was designed to be a dance for actors.
- The transformations of Mason, Jules, and Tyler are the only ones shown in the TV series.
- The Labonair Family is the only family to have a common birthmark.
- According to an interview on the 2013 San Diego Comic Con, Julie Plec stated that when werewolf women are pregnant that's the one time the curse releases itself so the werewolf bloodlines can continue to procreate, or else the shape-shifting would kill the baby in the womb.
- The werewolves of Louisiana, including Hayley's biological family, had a curse placed on them that reversed the transformation. Instead of being humans who turned into wolves during the full moon, they are wolves who turned into humans during the full moon.
- A werewolf could also be a witch if one of their parents were a witch, such as Klaus when he was alive and his baby. It is unknown if triggering the werewolf curse would allow the use of magic.
- In the early 1900's there was a werewolf crime family in New Orleans, called the The Guerrera Family, who had dealings with the Mikaelson brothers; most of them were killed by Papa Tunde.
- According to Julie Plec, the werewolves will have a major part in the brewing war between vampires and witches.
- List of werewolves - a complete list of all werewolves that have appeared in the series.