|“||You know, witches nowadays, they're into that new age stuff, but... I'm a little more old school voodoo.||”|
They are most commonly found used by those of the French Quarter Coven.
In a similar way to Representational Magic, Voodoo uses sympathetic magic to harm the enemy by means of dolls and puppets that are broken or scarred with the intent to pass the same things about the people represented by puppets.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Edit
In Disturbing Behavior, the soothsayer, Gloria was said to practice "old-school" Voodoo using a concoction of herbs to extract information from Stefan's mind. Her knowledge of voodoo allowed her to decelerate her aging such that she was over 90 years old yet looked like she was in her 40s.
Season Four Edit
Throughout The Original series Edit
Season One Edit
In Tangled Up In Blue, the witch Katie runs a shop called Jardin Gris voodoo shop, described by the witch and tourists guide Sabine Laurent (possessed by Celeste Dubois) as her favorite store where tourists can take a hex or a love potion.
In Après Moi, Le Déluge, Sabine, revealed to be powerful witch Céleste Dubois, uses a Voodoo Doll filled with blood with the intent to alter the outcome of the Harvest, bringing to life three witches of her choice (Papa Tunde, Bastianna and Genevieve) rather than the Harvest Girls Abigail, Cassie, Monique and Davina.
Season Two Edit
In Fire with Fire, it was revealed that the wolf elder, Mary Dumas was a acquainted with a Voodoo Queen when she was younger that taught her to burn Solomon's Seal and Snapdragon to produce magic detecting smoke.
Spells and Rituals Edit
- Main article: Spells and Rituals
- Gloria's Information Gathering Ritual: The spell allows the witch to establish a connection between them and the target's essence through their blood. A concoction of various herbs is then spread onto the witch's palms and upon physical contact, the witch will receive the information they seek from their victim's memories through visions.
- Requirements: Ring of candles, Assorted herbs (Witch hazel, Diviner's sage, Vervain etc.), Physical contact with target, Target constantly bleeding
- Used by: Gloria used this spell on Stefan in conjunction with a Paralysis spell to gather more information on Elena.
- The city of New Orleans is the birthplace of Louisiana Voodoo.
- Gloria was from Chicago and is currently the only non-New Orleans witch to use Voodoo.
- This is also the only time Voodoo is seen in the Vampire Diaries series.
- Voodoo is the magical practice that relies most heavily on Herbs.
- Unlike popular beliefs and urban legends that paint the voodoo as black magic, voodoo is actually a real set of religious beliefs that mix elements of African spirituality with Christianity and European witchcraft.
- Voodoo is one of the many branches of witchcraft practiced by the witch covens in New Orleans.