|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 1, Episode 12|
|Air date||January 28th 2010|
|Written by||Barbie Kligman & Brian Young|
|Directed by||Liz Friedlander|
|Episode Guide transcript|
Children of the Damned
50's DANCE THAT WILL LEAVE YOU BREATHLESS —- As Stefan and Damon try to figure out the identity of the new vampire in town, Stefan gives Elena jewelry filled with vervain to protect her family and friends. Hurting for money, Matt takes a job at Mystic Grill, where former high school football-star, Ben, works as a bartender. Ben comes to Bonnie's aid when he notices Damon is bothering her. Damon and Stefan accompany Elena to a school dance with a 1950s theme, where Alaric introduces himself to Damon.
|As Stefan and Damon try to figure out the identity of the new vampire in town, Stefan gives Elena more vervain-filled jewelry to protect her family and friends. Strapped for money, Matt takes a job as a busboy at the Mystic Grill, where former high school football-star Ben works as a bartender. Ben comes to Bonnie's aid when he notices Damon bothering her.
Damon and Stefan accompany Elena to a school dance with a 1950s theme, where Alaric introduces himself to Damon. Noah, the vampire that has been stalking Elena is killed by Stefan and Damon. Before dying, he reveals that the way to get into the tomb lies in the Gilbert journal. Adding pressure to find the Journal.
While Alaric and Jenna walk home from the party, Alaric mentions that his wife's name was Isobel (the same as Elena's birth mother). Meanwhile, Anna tries to get closer to Jeremy so she can get the Gilbert journal. In the end, it is revealed both Anna and Ben are vampires and romantically involved with each other.
Special Guest StarEdit
- Antagonist: Noah
- This episode had 3.71 million viewers in USA.
- Elena drives Jenna's red Mini-Cooper, since her car was totaled in the previous episode.
- It is mentioned that Elena's dad, Grayson Gilbert, was a doctor.
- Elena learns that her biological mother's name was Isobel.
- Stefan tells Elena, when she asks, that pictures of him in his past were burned/buried.
- Matt is shown to drive some kind of truck.
- Elena displays some knowledge of self-defense when fighting off Noah. She also stabs him multiple times with a pencil, confirming that vampires may be wounded by any wooden weapon.
- Elena will not actually kill a vampire until season two's episode The Dinner Party.
- Dillon Casey, who played Noah, also starred alongside Nina Dobrev in the Lifetime movie "Too Young To Marry", in which the two played teen lovers who got married after high school graduation.
- One of the songs in from the 50s dance, "My Boyfriend's Back", was actually released in 1963
- Episode Title:
- The title "Unpleasantville" is a reference to the movie Pleasantville in which two teens were transported into a 1950's sitcom. Turning the title of that movie on its head juxtaposes an outwardly carefree, 1950s-themed school dance with Elena's decidedly unpleasant encounter with a vampire named Noah.
- Pleasantville, a 1998 motion picture.
- Damon: "You're pathetic when you're fishing."
- Stefan: "And you're transparent when you're deflecting."
- Damon: "Don't you have school?"
- Noah: "Hello, Elena."
- Elena: "Hey, who's this?"
- Noah (spying on Elena): "You hit me with your car, is that a new one? You got away from me... you won't next time."
- Caroline: "Since when are you a busboy?"
- Matt: "It's a job, you know some of us have to work, Caroline. With my mom in and out...things are tight so."
- Jenna: "Your dad was about to leave the office one night, when this girl showed up. She was 16, a runaway, and about to give birth. He delivered her baby and gave her a place to stay, but a few days later she disappeared... and there you were. Your parents were trying so hard to have a baby... it just wasn't happening. All Miranda ever wanted was to be a mom."
- Stefan: (talking about Damon) "I'm really sorry that it won't be of any help with your 'diabolical plan: the sequel'."
- Jenna: "Okay, I'm a sucker for the decade dance. I went to school here you know, they do the 60's and 70's too FYI."
- Alaric: "Oh, can't wait. Can I get you a drink? I hear the punch is real boss."
- Caroline: "So what is this like a threesome now? You and the Salvatore brothers."
- Elena: "No, but if I'm going to be with Stefan, then I have to learn to tolerate Damon. It's not like I can kill him."
- Bonnie: "There's a thought."
- Caroline: "Mmm, I'll help."
- Anna: "She's not Katherine, Ok, Katherine is in the tomb."
- Noah: "I know, but until we open that tomb I have her to play with."
- Anna: "Don't be stupid, that girl is with the Salvatore brothers."
- Noah: "They don't scare me, they never have."
- Noah: "Hello, Elena. Here's what your going to do, there's a exit door behind you. You have 5 seconds."
- Elena: "No."
- Noah: "Or your brother dies. I can snap his neck so fast, I bet there's not even a witness."
- Damon: (attempting to compel Alaric) "Why are you in Mystic Falls?"
- Alaric: "I got a job as a teacher."
- Damon: "Do you know what I am?"
- Alaric: "You're my student's brother."
- Damon: "Is everything you're telling me the truth?"
- Alaric: "Yes."
- Damon: "Then forget we had this conversation."