|“||Supernatural good fortune you've linked to me. Let's say I test your loyalty.||”|
This is the relationship between the two hybrids, Tyler Lockwood and Niklaus Mikaelson. Klaus and Tyler's rivalry started when Klaus turned Tyler into a hybrid but escalated when Klaus fell for Tyler's girlfriend, Caroline.
There was very little interaction between them in Season Two. Klaus only wanted Tyler for the werewolf part of the Sacrifice.
Season ThreeEditIn The Reckoning, Tyler was brought to Klaus by Rebekah there Klaus force fed Tyler his blood and snapped his neck, thus turning him into a hybrid and forcing Elena and the others to find out how to save Klaus' hybrids.
In Homecoming, Tyler lets the Homecoming party be thrown at his house, and Klaus warns Tyler that it not his just a party, but a celebration of Mikael's supposed death. Klaus also informs Tyler that whatever his friends are planning, he all ready knows.
In Our Town, Tyler comes to Klaus at his mansion and Klaus tells Tyler that he wants him to bite Caroline. Tyler tells him no, but then later in the woods Tyler accidentally bites Caroline. Tyler goes to Klaus and ask him to heal Caroline, which Klaus does.
In Dangerous Liaisons, Tyler is mentioned in a conversation between Klaus and Caroline, where she was telling Klaus to give Tyler his freedom back.
In Heart of Darkness, Tyler returns to Mystic Falls, having broken his sire bond to Klaus (after having turned into a werewolf approx. 100 times). Caroline informs Tyler that once an Original dies, it's entire bloodline dies along with it. She also informs him that if the Originator of the Salvatore's bloodline is not Klaus, they would kill him, meaning that Tyler would also die. Later, he finds one of Klaus's pictures on Caroline's table, gets furious, and leaves her place.
In Do Not Go Gentle, Tyler and Caroline dance at the 20's Decade Dance together until Klaus shows up. Although Tyler has broken his sire bond, he and Caroline do not want Klaus to know that. He voluntarily steps aside to let Klaus dance with her. Klaus informs Caroline he is leaving, and tells her they both know she is not up for coming with him. He walks away before saying another word.
- Tyler: "Who the hell are you two?"
- Carol Lockwood: "Tyler, it's ok. They are here for your protection."
- Tyler: "More deputies?"
- Klaus: "Not exactly."
- Tyler: "They are hybrids."
- Klaus: "I was half way to Chicago when I heard you were attacked. I had hope to leave Mystic Falls for good but duty calls."
- Tyler: "Nice to know you care."
- Klaus: "I don't. I should've killed you for the little stunt you and your friends pulled. Stopping my heart. Leaving me in a coffin to rot."
- Tyler: "Yeah, well you used my body as an escape hatch then kissed my girlfriend. So maybe we're even."
- Klaus: "Not even close. But you hybrids are a dying breed. I can't make more of you and I won't have anyone taking liberties with the ones I have left. Consider them your new bodyguards."
- Klaus: (Tyler enters the room) "She's quite fetching, that Hayley."
- Tyler: "Where is she?"
- Klaus: "Oh, she had to run, but don't worry. I had to take the back door so Caroline wouldn't see."
- Tyler: "Whatever you think you know..."
- Klaus: "I don't know anything, but I've put together a pretty convincing picture. Why don't you tell me where my imagination deviates from reality? (gets up, stands behind him). You went off to the Appalachians to break my sire bond. There, you met a pack of werewolves, begged them for help. Among them was a girl. She was gorgeous, with the same animal instincts as you. Emotions ran high, inhibitions ran low..."
- Tyler: "Stop it."
- Klaus: "Then, in the moment of weakness, the thick sexual tension became something much more real."
- Tyler: (turns around) "I said stop!"
- Klaus: "And Caroline has no idea. (looks disappointed, phone rings, he smiles and presses the button). Hello Damon!"
- Damon: "Klaus? Where's Tyler?"
- Klaus: "Tyler's otherwise occupied, making big decisions about honesty and what not. Is there anything I can do?"
- Damon: "I'm going after the vampire hunter so if he'd like to join ...?"
- Klaus: "He wouldn't. I however..."
- Klaus: "Hello."
- Tyler: "Hey Klaus."
- Klaus: "Tyler! I hope you're not causing problems."
- Tyler: "I can do whatever I want. I'm not sired to you anymore."
- Klaus: "Fair enough. Although, I do happen to know your little secret about your time in Appalachia. What was your friends name? Hayley, was it? I'm sorry mate. Or should I just assume you're back to being...How did you phrase it? Ah, yes. My little bitch." (Tyler hangs up)