|“||He won't stop trying to kill me, and you won't stop trying to protect me. Which means the only way to make sure you're safe is for me to go and never come back.||”|
The relationship between Caroline Forbes and Tyler Lockwood began in Season 2. In Season 1, they were shown to talk or be playing pool together on occasion, but were not close friends and Caroline did not appear to like Tyler very much (due to the fact that his character was completely different then). Caroline and Tyler confided in each other with their secrets (she being a vampire, he being a werewolf) and Caroline helped him through his transformations. In Season 3, they begin a serious romantic relationship which is stirred because of the sire bond, but prevails towards the end of the season.
They are referred to as "Forwood" or less commonly, "Cyler","Tyline" or "Taroline" by fans.
Tyler and Caroline were initially mutual friends and would hang out sometimes and play pool. This was probably because they'd known each other since infancy. When Matt avoided Tyler due to his incident with his mother, Caroline tried to make amends between them. Caroline joked with Tyler about getting drunk enough until someone is hot enough to make out with. In Season 3 Caroline tells Tyler she didn't like the old him.
When Caroline became a vampire and Tyler a werewolf, they found themselves understanding each others' situations and they ended up building an unexpected friendship. They started to spend a lot a time with one another, confessing their thoughts of being a supernatural being and bringing them closer.
In Masquerade when Matt starts punching him and Tyler refuses to fight back, Caroline hears the commotion and arrives at the fight quickly. She pulls them apart, punching Matt on the nose that he falls on the ground, unconscious. Sarah stands up, muttering: "Matt failed. If Matt fails, I can't." She picks up a knife and Caroline yells to Tyler to watch out. He pushes Sarah backwards and she hits her head against a desk.
As she lies motionless on the floor, Tyler begs her to open her eyes and repeats: "This can't happen." Caroline tests Sarah's pulse and realizes she is dead. She asks Tyler what is happening and he looks at her with werewolf's eyes. Later, the duo tell Tyler's mother that Sarah was drunk and just tripped over. When she leaves, Caroline tells Tyler that Matt is sleeping it off in the car and promises to deal with him. Tyler asks what she is doing and Caroline explains that she is fixing a "very bad situation", adding that Tyler didn't mean to kill Sarah. "But she's dead," he says. "You don't know what that means." Caroline insists that she does, and when Tyler replies that she doesn't, she asks if his wound has healed. He checks, asking how she knew.
In Rose, Tyler is walking through the school corridors. He notices a memorial for Sarah and looks at it until someone knocks into him. He goes to open his locker, but breaks the lock due his new strength. Later, he approaches Caroline and asks how she knew about him. "That you were upset?" Caroline replies. "I thought I was doing a good thing by covering for you." Tyler tells her that he's not talking about that. Caroline pretends not to understand and leaves.
Afterwards, Tyler is playing basketball but spots Caroline. He approaches her and asks why she lied to him earlier. "I think you misunderstood me at the party," Caroline replies. "I get it, it's very traumatic." Tyler insists that she's lying, and when she tries to leave he grabs her. However, Caroline uses her strength to push him away. Tyler asks how she did it but Caroline pretends she doesn't know what he's talking about. "If you know something you've got to tell me because I can't handle this," Tyler pleads. Caroline claims that he is just in shock. Tyler leaves and kicks over a bin in anger, but it flies away and hits a car. When Caroline arrives home, Tyler sneaks up behind her and tells her: "I know you're just like me, aren't you?" He says that he won't leave until she tells him the truth. "You're a werewolf, say it!" he yells. Caroline laughs, but Tyler pushes her up against a wall frustrated, telling her to stop lying. "I'm not lying," she replies, before pushing him back. Her teeth come out, revealing that she is a vampire, and says: "I'm not a werewolf, OK?"
Later, Caroline hands Tyler some alcohol and explains that it helps her to relax. Tyler admits that he feels as if his skin is on fire and says that everything has been heightened emotionally. Tyler is shocked that Caroline is a vampire and asks who else is like her, but she lies that she is the only one. Tyler explains that he is the only werewolf he knows apart from Mason. Caroline announces that Tyler cannot tell anyone about them. "This is life and death," she says. Tyler admits that he has no one else to tell. "I'm sorry about earlier," he says. "It's just I'm alone with this. It's going to happen to me. The next full moon I'm going to turn and I won't be able to stop it. I'm scared." Caroline hugs him to comfort him.
In The Sacrifice, back at school, Tyler is playing basketball by himself. Matt approaches him and apologizes for picking a fight with him. He admits that he has been avoiding Tyler because he doesn't know what to say. Tyler accepts his apology and Matt leaves, running into Caroline. They chat for a moment but Matt claims that he has to get to class and walks off, leaving Caroline unhappy with the state of their relationship. She heads over to see Tyler and asks if he has figured out what he's going to do at the full moon yet. He reveals that he has a plan but says that it is private. However, Caroline persuades him to let her help out.
Tyler and Caroline walk through the woods and Tyler admits that Matt is struggling to get over Caroline. Caroline agrees but insists that it is better this way. Tyler claims that he understands, saying: "You can't be honest with him. It's not really fair to be with someone and not let them know who you are. I get it." He points out the Lockwood cellar and explains that he thinks Mason was headed there on the night that he turned. The pair go downstairs and Tyler points out the old claw marks on the walls and the bolts and chains. Caroline discovers something wrapped up and, when she opens it, finds a journal. The pair realize that Mason kept a diary of what happened to him. Tyler reads: "The full moon is tonight." Caroline asks if Mason wrote down what happened, and Tyler finds a memory stick in the back of the book.
At Caroline's house, Tyler puts Mason's memory stick into a computer and the pair discover that Mason taped his first transformation. Caroline looks at the journal and finds that he wrote about it the next day. As they watch Mason being sick on the tape, Caroline reads that he tried to drink wolfsbane to make him weaker. "Over an hour passed and nothing happened," she reads. "It got so quiet I could feel my own blood pumping... I kept thinking I'd black out and not feel it but I did. I felt all of it." The pair watch Mason writhing in pain and skip through the tape, realizing that the process lasts at least five hours. Tyler begins to cry, saying: "I can't do that Caroline. Whatever that was, I can't go through that."
Meanwhile, Caroline suggests that they shouldn't read anymore of Mason's journal. "There's a reason it's called a curse, Tyler," she adds. Tyler takes the book and sees that Mason described the transformation as "unimaginable pain" and "the worst night of [his] life". Caroline reassures him that the transformation speeds up and suggests that he just needs to get through the first time. Tyler asks why she is helping him because they have never been close before. Caroline admits that she had no-one to help her when she turned. "I had no control over my body or my urges and I killed somebody," she admits. "I don't want that for you." The doorbell rings and Caroline gets up to answer it. She discovers Matt, who explains that he was driving home from work and found himself there. "I miss you," he admits. Caroline smiles, but Tyler appears, causing Matt to look confused.
In By the Light of the Moon, Meanwhile, Caroline and Tyler drive to the woods and Caroline reassures Tyler that Mason probably just stopped to surf somewhere. "I'm sure he's OK," she adds. Tyler begins setting up chains in the Lockwood cellar and Caroline reveals that she brought some wolfsbane with her. Tyler reaches over to touch it but it burns him. He explains that he brought some water with him and asks Caroline to mix the wolfsbane into it. Tyler continues to set up the chains and reveals that the set-up should be able to hold 5000 pounds. However, he admits that he doesn't know if a werewolf can pull more than that. He takes off his top and Caroline is shocked, checking that he is not going to get naked. Tyler asks: "What should I wear?"
Later, at the Lockwood cellar Caroline reveals that it is almost 8 o'clock. Tyler explains that the transformation could happen before the moon hits its apex. He admits that he doesn't know how long he will actually be a wolf, but suggests that it will be for a few hours. He grabs the bottle of wolfsbane water and Caroline asks if he is sure he wants to drink it, but Tyler insists that he does because it will diminish his strength. He drinks and immediately starts coughing. Caroline rushes over to soothe him but he shouts at her to leave. She refuses and, as Tyler apologizes, strokes his head.
Tyler is still struggling with his transformation and gasps as some of the changes begin to take effect. "I'm burning up," he groans. Caroline advises him to breathe through this and again he tells her to leave. "Not yet," she replies. Tyler begins screaming and pulling against his chains and Caroline gets up and begins crying, covering her mouth with her hand in shock. "It hurts," Tyler groans.
Back at the cellar, Caroline admits that she doesn't know how to help and Tyler tells her that there is nothing she can do. Suddenly, his back begins to bulge as the transformation continues. Tyler begs her to get out as he doesn't want to hurt her but Caroline refuses and takes his head. She hugs him and advises Tyler to fight through it. Tyler continues to tell her to go, but she whispers: "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere." However, Tyler begins to convulse and groan. His eyes turn yellow and he snaps at Caroline. Caroline gets up and runs over to lock the metal gate to the cellar. "I'm sorry," she cries. Tyler bares his fangs at her and Caroline runs out of the cellar. She shuts the wooden door at the entrance to the cellar and sobs as she hears Tyler screaming and groaning. Eventually, he becomes silent, but then he bashes against the door. Caroline pushes up against it as Tyler barges up and tries to knock it down. "Tyler, don't," Caroline pleads. "Stop." She uses a plank to hold the door in place before running away through the woods.
Later, Caroline is walking through the woods. She arrives at the cellar and looks down the steps. She heads downstairs and examines the door, which has some damage but is still shut. She calls: "Tyler" and hears him mumble "Caroline" in return. She bursts in and spots him curled up on the floor. She covers him up to keep him warm and says: "You're OK, you're OK. You made it. You didn't get out. You're OK." However, Tyler sobs and replies: "No I'm not."
In The Descent, Caroline is at school preparing for a barbeque when she spots Tyler. She congratulates him on surviving his first full moon without hurting anyone. Tyler thanks her for being there and the pair stare at each other for a while. Caroline breaks the silence by suggesting that they should reinforce the cellar wall because he almost pushed it down bit her. Eventually, she reveals that legend says werewolf bites are fatal to vampires. However, the duo are interrupted by Matt, who asks to speak to Caroline, and Tyler leaves.
When Caroline gets home, she discovers Tyler waiting for her. He asks her why she would risk death to be with him, and Caroline replies that he needed help. Tyler points out that he could have killed her and says he doesn't understand. Caroline asks why it is so hard for him to let people help him. She begins to get angry, sarcastically saying that she's sorry if she overstepped her boundaries by caring about him. Tyler interrupts her speech by kissing her, but Caroline eventually pulls away after kissing back for a while, telling him that he can't do that. "Everyone just needs to stop kissing me," she yells.
In Daddy Issues, Jules reveals to Tyler that Stefan and Damon are also vampires and that his uncle Mason is dead, most likely killed by one of the vampires in Mystic Falls. Tyler confronts Caroline, asking her if it's true and she hesitates, prompting Tyler to believe Jules and shove Caroline against her car door, yelling that he trusted her. His eyes flash gold in his anger and he leaves a shocked Caroline behind. Stefan then confronts Tyler, telling him why Caroline lied to him and that they don't need to be enemies but friends. Caroline, after a short meeting with Matt, runs into Jules and tries to intimidate her, but Jules sprays a can of vervain in her face, causing Caroline to recoil. Caroline is then shot in the head with a wooden bullet by Brady, a werewolf friend of Jules'.
Caroline wakes up and finds herself in a cage, where Brady tortures her, spraying vervain in her face and shooting her with wooden bullets. Jules calls Stefan and tells him to bring Tyler to her in order for Caroline to live. Stefan takes Tyler to Jules but Damon soon joins the meeting, saying that if they did not give Caroline to him, his version of things would be more 'bloodier'. Jules whistles and a bunch of men appear from the woods, carrying fire gas tanks and wooden stakes. Damon tells Tyler to go to Jules, then attacks her, which leads into an all out battle between Damon, Stefan and the werewolves.
Tyler finds Caroline inside a caravan and Caroline asks him to open the cage for her, because there is no latch and she can't reach it. He hesitates and Caroline looks at him in surprise and anger, begging him to open the door. Tyler eventually does, letting Caroline out, who runs outside to join the fight but is immediately overthrown by Jules. As Caroline stares at Tyler to help her, he does nothing, watching her guiltily. As Damon is about to be staked, Dr. Jonas Martin enters the clearing, using his powers to knock the werewolves unconscious. He tells Stefan and Damon that Elijah would keep his promise to Elena to keep them safe, and that they should leave. He then warns Tyler to tell his 'werewolf friends' to leave town immediately.
Tyler goes to Caroline's house after the ordeal, realizing the error of his mistakes. Caroline is furious with him, angry that he did not help her when she was in trouble, stating "you just stood there!" Tyler tells her he didn't know they would come after her and that he doesn't know who to trust, because she lied to him. Caroline tells him that she lied to him to protect her friends and to protect him and Tyler apologizes but Caroline tells him it's too late, and that they aren't friends anymore. She slams the door in Tyler's face and he leaves, going back to Jules and her werewolf friends, where he tells them that Mason was looking for a moonstone before he died.
Stefan, worried about Caroline and how she is dealing with what she went through, goes to Elena and Bonnie for help, who decide to have a slumber party at Caroline's house. As they walk through the front door, Caroline begins crying, hugging them both closely as they embrace her.
In Crying Wolf, Tyler bumps into Caroline at the Grill, which causes her bag to fall and it's contents to spill out. Tyler steals her phone, but genuinely tries to talk to her, but she refuses, still furious at him for hesitating to help her during the confrontation with the other werewolves in the previous episode. As Caroline leaves, Matt tells Tyler to stop lying to him about Caroline and to just stop pretending that they aren't together, even though Tyler tells him they truly aren't together.
Tyler texts Elena with Caroline's phone, asking where she is so that the other werewolves can kidnap her, as they want to break the sun and moon curse and need Elena, as she is the Petrova Doppelgänger. As Stefan and Elena attempt to go on a romantic getaway at her parents old cabin, Tyler and Brady, another werewolf, attack Stefan in the garage and Brady goes inside the cabin to get Elena. Stefan tells Tyler that there is an alternative to all of this, but Tyler tells him he doesn't want to be a werewolf anymore, and that the only way that can happen is if he breaks the curse, as he can stop himself from changing if it is broken. Stefan tells Tyler that if they want to break the curse, Elena will have to die and Tyler realizes that Jules and the others have lied to him. He helps Stefan stop Brady from hurting Elena. Stefan kills Brady and Tyler apologizes to Elena, telling her he was unaware that the curse involved sacrificing her life. She forgives him and they hug.
As Carol Lockwood, Tyler's mom is heading up the stairs, she hears a noise and finds a letter from Tyler with 'Mom' written on it. Tyler approaches Matt at the Grill and tells him that him and Caroline were only ever friends, and that she helped him with a lot, and because of that, he developed feelings for her. He tells Matt that although he loves Caroline, Matt is better for her, and that he shouldn't let her go. Tyler goes to Caroline's house but hesitates on ringing the doorbell, but Caroline sense somebody outside and goes to the door. She locks it, unaware that Tyler is watching her from outside. Tyler enters a car and we see Jules in the passenger seat, where he apologizes to Jules about Brady, and says that if he's going to travel with her, he wants nothing but the truth from her and she agrees, telling him he's doing the right thing. He says he can't stay in Mystic Falls, not as a werewolf and they leave Caroline's house.
Finally, Tyler returns in The Last Daybecause his mom is in the hospital after 'falling' down the stairs. At the hospital, Jules arrives and tells Tyler they have to leave and lock themselves up in preparation for the full moon. Outside, Tyler bumps into Caroline and they have an awkward conversation, in which Caroline asks him why he just left without saying goodbye to her. As he explains that he left for a reason. Tyler begins to leave but Maddox and Greta appear, forcing Tyler and Caroline to fall on the ground in pain. Greta injects Caroline with vervain and they drag the pair away.
Down in the tomb, Caroline realizes why they've been captured, and tells Tyler the story of Klaus, and admits that she thinks he is going to kill them. Tyler tells her that Jules has been helping him come to terms with being a werewolf but it wouldn't matter now. Caroline then asks why he didn't say goodbye, wondering "why did you leave me?" and Tyler admits that he thought she hated him and deserved better than having someone like him in her life. Caroline admits that she was hurt but could never hate him. Damon arrives and reveals that Matt is outside with wooden bullets. He frees Caroline, but she refuses to leave without Tyler. Tyler admits that he can lock himself up in the Lockwood cellar and Damon agrees to untie him.
Caroline, Damon, and Tyler exit the tomb and meet Matt, but the full moon is emerging and Tyler's transformation process begins. Tyler's transformation is moving on and he tells them to leave. Damon has to push Tyler down but Tyler tries to bite him. Damon says he is fine and tells Caroline and Matt to lock themselves in the Lockwood cellar. He rushes away. Meanwhile, Caroline and Matt rush down to the cellar but are confronted by a wolf.
In The Sun Also Rises, the episode opens with Matt and Caroline trying to fight off Tyler, who has transformed into a werewolf. Matt worries that the gate in the tomb won't hold and eventually shoots Tyler. Caroline grabs his hand and they rush off. They return home and Matt reveals that he knew Caroline was a vampire because he has been drinking vervain, adding that it was Sheriff Forbes's idea. Caroline asks how Matt is feeling but he changes the subject, pointing out that they are stuck in the house hiding from Tyler. Suddenly they notice someone at the door and discover Tyler curled up on the porch. Caroline covers him with Matt's jacket and eventually gets him inside. Matt admits that he has enjoyed the last few days with Caroline but adds that he doesn't think he can deal with her being a vampire. He reveals that he already has a tough life but he just wants to live it without dealing with the supernatural as well. When Tyler wakes up, he admits that he should not have returned to Mystic Falls. However, Caroline tells him not to leave again. She admits that Matt broke up with her and Tyler hugs her as she cries. After her suggestion that instead of bailing on her he could thank her for taking care of him and stay, he does.
In The Birthday, at the Mystic Grill Caroline also suggests to Tyler that Tyler's mum kept eyeing her up when she was over. Tyler helps Caroline and Elena set up for Elena's Birthday, Tyler mentions to Elena that she might've confused Damon to meaning Caroline told Tyler about Elena and Damon Kissing after Elena Leaves Caroline says to Tyler "Just because I tell you things doesn't mean your allowed to know them.". Tyler reveals that he's bringing a date to Elena's party - "Slutty Sophie", according to Caroline. Caroline's naturally a bit hurt by this but she pretends that she's cool. After admitting, they both are very "horny" because of their supernatural states Caroline breaks the tension by saying to Tyler "I hope you get lucky". Caroline is downing alcohol at an alarming rate as she watches Tyler dance with Sophie, she appears jealous and hurt. Matt appears, but it soon turns into an argument about Tyler and Caroline and Matt's Relationship and Tyler comes over to check everything's OK prompting Matt to leave after he does so Sophie compliments Caroline on the party, she Jealously compels Sophie to go home leaving Tyler confused as she walks away., Tyler and Caroline argue about Tyler dating to which Tyler asks why he shouldn't be dating.
Tyler says he won't date anyone else if Caroline just tells him not to because last time she 'shut him down'. Caroline at first tries to deny jealousy and then gives in and kisses Tyler passionately. Tyler suggests they leave. They hastily leave the party and have sex in Tyler's bedroom. The episode ends with Caroline sneaking out and being shot with a Vervain Dart by Tyler's Mother. after touching her Vervain-laced purse.
In The Hybrid, Carol Lockwood is seen pouring vervain in a pot of coffee. Tyler is heard coming down the stairs, and he kisses his mom on the cheek and pours himself a cup of coffee. Carol watches him anxiously, and berates him over him sleeping with Caroline. Tyler drinks from the coffee, and notices something different about the taste, but does not react, which causes Carol to calm down as she realizes Tyler is not a vampire. He leaves, but not before telling his mom off for offending Caroline. Tyler is next seen at the Grill with Elena, helping her find a mountain in Tennessee where some werewolves may be located. He asks her if she has seen Caroline and Elena tells him she hasn't. Tyler is next seen shooting pool and texting Caroline. She does not reply. Matt comes up to him and tells him the full moon is approaching. Tyler asks him if he's seen Caroline and Matt tells him he hasn't. Matt offers to help Tyler with the full moon, as Caroline is not around, but Tyler declines his offer. He drinks the coffee Matt has poured for him and wonders what's wrong with his taste buds. Matt tells him it's the vervain, and that Sheriff Forbes has been making him put vervain in the coffee at the Grill to help keep the citizens of Mystic Falls safe from the vampires.
Tyler puts two and two together and realizes his mom spiked his morning cup of coffee with vervain. Meanwhile, Carol has contacted a mysterious man about Caroline, saying that the problem needs to be fixed. The man assures her he'll deal with Caroline. Later on, Tyler confronts his mother, asking her why she spiked his coffee with vervain. She explains that she's known about Caroline for awhile, and that she was afraid Caroline may have turned Tyler. They soon begin yelling at each other, with Tyler asking her what she has done to Caroline, and Carol telling him to stay away from her. She calls Caroline a monster, and Tyler stares at her angrily, then tells her to come with him to the slave quarters. He places his mom in corner and locks her in, then chains himself up as he begins transforming into a werewolf. Carol watches on in horror.
As Tyler's transformation ends, he wakes up and sees his mom watching him from her cage. She agrees to help save Caroline and he thanks her. Carol calls the mysterious man and tells him that she made a mistake. The man refuses to budge though, and says that Caroline is a vampire, and needs to be taken care of. Caroline is soon revealed to be in a dungeon of some sort, tied to a chair by chains. She calls out for help, but no one is there. The mysterious man is eventually seen coming down some stairs, and Caroline calls out to him. He opens the door and walks in, and Caroline looks at him. He says hello to her, and she whispers, "Daddy?" revealing that the mysterious man is Caroline's father.
In The End of The Affair, Later on in the episode, we see Liz Forbes leaving a voice mail for Caroline about lunch plans. She has no idea of the state Caroline is in because she’s been at work. Just as Liz hangs up the phone, we see Tyler knocking on their front door.
Caroline’s dad locks Caroline up for the night and is greeted by Liz and her gun. Caroline overhears their conversation, including her mom coming to her defense. “Let me do this, Liz,” Caroline’s dad says, “not because she’s a monster, but because we love her.” Liz doesn’t comply and calls for Tyler instead. She shoots a threatening bullet at Bill when he tries to block the entrance to the torture chamber and gives Tyler the O.K. to rescue Caroline. Tyler breaks the locks on the door and the steel contraptions around Caroline’s arms and legs. She mentions her ring, so he grabs it and places it back on her finger. Finally, Tyler picks her up and carries her to safety.
Back at the Forbes residence, Caroline is finishing up a much needed blood bag. She’s sitting on her bed under the covers and her mom is sitting at her feet. She hands the blood bag to Liz, thanks her, and lies down. Tyler appears in the doorway to Caroline’s bedroom, so Caroline’s mom gets up and goes to leave. Before she does, Caroline says, “Hey mom? Thanks for believing in me.” After Liz is gone, Tyler jokes about giving Caroline a hard time for sneaking out on him. Caroline laughs but it turns into crying. She makes room for him and he climbs into bed next to her. “He hates me… My dad hates me…” Caroline says tearfully and Tyler does his best to comfort her as the scene fades out.
In Disturbing Behavior, Caroline hides out in Tyler's bedroom when she sees her father at the party downstairs. After football practice, Tyler returns home to find Caroline lying on his bed waiting for him. He is happy to see her there but instantly becomes concerned for her when she reveals that her dad is in the house. Tyler offers to kick Bill's ass causing Caroline to laugh and makes up and excuse to why he shouldn't. She reveals that even through everything that's happened Bill is still her dad. Tyler gets what she means and stokes her hair causing Caroline to rest her head on his chest. But she quickly pulls away and comments that he reeks. Tyler jokes and says that it’s sexy while Caroline laughs. Tyler then leans in to kiss her as she kisses him back. Caroline proceeds to remove his shirt as he lies on top of her and they continue to kiss and begin to make love. But they are interrupted when Elena calls and says that it's an emergency.
In The Reckoning, both Caroline and Tyler are participating in Senior Prank Night. Caroline is putting honey on the doorknobs and Tyler starts kissing her from behind. They get on the topic of Matt. Tyler tells Caroline “I love how big your heart is” and tells her that he is happy. They begin to make out until they are interrupted by Rebekah, who seems to want Tyler for something. Caroline steps in between Rebekah and Tyler, but Rebekah attacks Caroline and takes Tyler with her. When Caroline wakes up she finds Tyler lying beside her, dead. Rebekah tells her that he is in transition to be a hybrid and Caroline stays by his side anxiously waiting for him to wake up. When he does, she explains to him that he is in transition. Rebekah steps in and tells him that unless Bonnie is successful, he is dead. Caroline assures him that he will be fine. When Klaus brings Tyler Elena’s blood to drink, Caroline tells him not to drink it, but he has to otherwise he’ll die. He does and he changes into a hybrid. Caroline and Tyler walk down the hallway holding hands as Tyler explains that he feels great. He picks her up and swings her around and they kiss. He tells her that “this is going to be an amazing year” and then hugs her, although Caroline has a worried look on her face the whole time.
In Smells Like Teen Spirit Caroline catches Tyler "Wearing his breakfast to school" (blood). Tyler assures her it was a blood bag and when Caroline asks him where he got it he replies that Rebekah supplied it. Caroline asks why he's even talking to her but he reveals that Klaus asked her to protect his new "asset." Tyler acts amused and Caroline points it out. He seems to like being Klaus's first hybrid. Caroline cannot believe that he likes it. At cheerleading practice Rebekah shows up to fill an open spot on the team and tells Caroline that she may go after her boyfriend. Caroline is angered by this remark.
After noticing that Tyler compels his football coach to stop practice early, Caroline confronts him saying he needs to be more subtle. He remarks "Coming from the queen of subtlety" and assures everything is under control. He then tells her that being a hybrid is a gift from Klaus. Rebekah is then seen showing off her cheerleading moves. She smiles mockingly at Caroline and Tyler tells her "Damn new girl has moves" which angers Caroline even more. Damon later reveals, after staking him with a vervain needle, that Tyler has been sired to Klaus, Caroline asks how they can help but Damon says the only way to fix it was to find a new boyfriend. Caroline tells Tyler the truth when he wakes up but he denies it. She tells him that lately he's been acting like the pre-wolf Tyler, the guy she would never be friends with. She starts to leave but Tyler stops her telling her that he does not want to be his old self and that he hated that guy. He adds he likes being with her. After having sex, Caroline leaves and Rebekah shows up, convincing Tyler to drink human blood, which he gives in to.
In Homecoming Tyler is helping Caroline decorate the 60's van and Tyler suggests to go out for a bite. Caroline then offers her thermos filled with blood, but Tyler rejects it saying he wants to feed on an actual person. Rebekah has apparently revealed to Tyler that there are people who want to be fed on without being compelled.
Caroline tells him that he needs to stop hanging out with the evil blood slut. Tyler tells Caroline to be nice to Rebekah because Matt is taking her as his date to the dance. Caroline expresses her concern that it is not safe for Matt to be going with Rebekah because he's innocent. Tyler points out that Matt drinks vervain so she can not feed on him. Later the dance is cancelled due to mysterious flooding. Klaus? Tyler? or maybe another hybrid? Tyler then moves the dance to his house where Klaus set up everything.
After Klaus reveals that there are other hybrids at the party, Tyler stabs Caroline with a vervain needle in the neck. Tyler tells Matt to take her home because if anyone tries to hurt Klaus, he will attack and he wants Caroline to be safe. Caroline wakes up later pissed. Tyler tells her the only reason he did it was to protect her from Klaus. Caroline tells Tyler that he could have just told her to go home because she was in danger and watch Dancing with the Stars. He then tells her that if she knew her friends were going to attack Klaus would she have left? She agrees that she wouldn't have and Tyler says " See, I saved you from your stubbornness."Tyler tells her that if the price to being Klaus' lackey is so that he never has to be in pain because the full moon forced him to and he can transition into a werewolf when he wanted to, then it is worth it. Caroline tells him she can not be with him knowing he is one of the bad guys now. Tyler leaves angrily.
In Our Town Caroline arrives at school to find Tyler waiting for her. He apologizes to her because he is sired to Klaus and that he won’t be able to put Caroline before anything else. He gives her a charm bracelet and tells her “Happy Birthday”. Tyler crashes Caroline’s “birthday-funeral” after receiving a text from Caroline. Tyler asks to talk to her. They go into the woods and he tells her to forget everything he said earlier. He tells her that Klaus can’t control him when it comes to her. He tells her he loves and then kisses her. He begins to kiss her neck, but then bites her neck because of his sire bond to Klaus, even though he didn’t mean to. He begins freaking out and she yells at him to leave her alone, so he goes away. Once Matt brings her home Klaus comes and heals her bite.
In Heart of Darkness, Tyler returns to Mystic Falls, having broken his sire bond to Klaus (after turning approx. 100 times). He and Caroline meet again in the woods after a long time apart- and end up having sex in the Lockwood Celler. Upon returning to Mystic Falls, Caroline informs Tyler that once an Original dies, it's entire bloodline dies along with it. Tyler is extremely distressed- after Caroline tells him that if Rose, Katherine, Damon, Stefan and her own bloodline was not originated from Klaus, then they were all going to kill him. However, Caroline informs him that she just got him back, and she is not loosing him again.
In Caroline's bedroom, Tyler spots the drawing Klaus sketched for Caroline in Dangerous Liaisons . Seemingly confused, Tyler questions Caroline, asking her why she kept it. Jealous that something might have happened between Klaus and Caroline while he was gone, Tyler leaves Caroline's house.
In Do Not Go Gentle, Caroline plays a big part in preparing the Decade Dance, along with Rebekah. Tyler shows up at the dance determined to make up Caroline's mind about him, and he and Caroline dance together until Klaus shows up. Although Tyler has broken his sire bond, he and Caroline do not want Klaus to know that. He voluntarily steps aside so to let Klaus dance with her. Klaus informs Caroline he is leaving, and tells her they both know she is not up for coming with him. He walks away without saying another word.
In the school gym, Stefan informs Caroline and Tyler that Esther is at the old cemetery and that Matt and Jeremy are headed there at that moment. Tyler confesses his anger in letting Caroline dance with Klaus, before Caroline tells him that she loves him.
Season FourEditIn Growing Pains, Caroline, who was supposed to be away from Mystic Falls but stuck around because she didn't know where to go without Tyler gets captured by Pastor Young and the deputies. Klaus, who was in Tyler's body rescues her, and she is overjoyed and surprised when she sees that "Tyler" is alive. Caroline and Tyler/Klaus are later shown making out in the woods, right before Caroline discovers that the person she thought was Tyler is actually Klaus and slaps him, as she was very close to having sex with him. Caroline and Tyler/Klaus turn to Bonnie and ask her to put Tyler back in his body, which she does. In Memorial, Tyler is in his bed having sex with Caroline, who feels bad because they are having sex in spite of all the tragedies going on, Tyler says that if they stopped having sex every time somebody died in the town they'd explode. A few minutes later Connor comes to Tyler's house and shoots him as soon as he finds out that Tyler is a vampire, attempting to kill him. However,Tyler, not being a regular vampire survives and escapes. At the sight of all the blood on the floor, Caroline gets very scared for Tyler. A the council's funeral, Caroline tells Stefan that if the hunter hurt again Tyler she'll kick his ass. She does everything to keep Tyler safe. Tyler and Caroline's relationship takes a turn in The Rager, when Tyler's friend Hayley, a gorgeous werewolf comes at Mystic Falls to see Tyler. At first, Tyler tries to hide Hayley from Caroline, so Klaus assumes that Tyler and Hayley hooked up while he was away. However, Caroline and Hayley eventually meet, and Caroline gets instantly jealous, especially after she overhears a phone conversation between Klaus and Tyler in which Klaus tells about Tyler having cheated on her. Caroline later confronts Tyler, who explains that Hayley and him never hooked up, but are trying to make Klaus thinking that they did to hide the fact that they're progressively unsiring all of his hybrids. Caroline understands, and the two act like they have broken up in front of Klaus. Carolines agrees to go on a date with Klaus if he agrees to kill off one of his hybrid, in order to save Elena. When Tyler learns about this deal, he gets really angry and throws a glass at the wall. Since then, Tyler and Caroline's relationship has gone back to normal, although is kept in secret. Caroline went to the Mystic Falls Pageant with Klaus, while Tyler went with Hayley. Tyler seems to have forgiven Caroline, for he only wants to get rid of Klaus now. Tyler rescued Caroline from the unsired hybrids who were torturing her. One of the hybids, Kim, wanted to prove to tyler that she was the Alpha. After some bargining from Elena, Tyler rescued Caroline and asured himself as "The Alpha male".
Tyler makes a plan to have his own body used to get rid of Klaus, much to Caroline's chagrin. Caroline suggests they use Rebekah's body instead, an idea Tyler loves, although Hayley doesn't let them do this. Tyler says, "You're a genius, I love you," to which Caroline replies, "I love you, even when I hate you."
- Start Up: The Birthday (3x01)
- Break Up: The Ties That Bind (3x12)
- Reason: After Tyler accidentally bites Caroline, he decide to leave the town to break his bond with Klaus, so that he can't hurt Caroline anymore, so until that they are separated. It confirmed by Caroline in Dangerous Liaisons, when she said to Klaus that because of him and his sire bond, that Tyler left town and they break up.
- Start Up: Heart of Darkness (3x19)
- On Hold: Down the Rabbit Hole (4x14)
- Reason: Tyler left Mystic Falls to escape Klaus.
- Back On: Graduation (4x23)
- Reason: Klaus allows Tyler to come back to Mystic Falls, giving him his freedom back.
- Caroline:Matt's in the car sleeping it off. I'll deal with him. I don't want him involved in any of this.
- Tyler:What are you doing?
- Caroline:I’m fixing a very bad situation.
- Tyler:Why? I did this. I killed her.
- Caroline:No, you didn’t mean to and I think it’s best for everyone… Tyler: But she’s dead! You don’t know what that means.
- Caroline: Actually, Tyler, I think I do.
- Tyler: No, you don’t, Caroline.
- Caroline: Has you wound healed?
- (He looks at his wound. It’s healed)
- Tyler: How did you…?
- -- Masquerade.
- Caroline: Hey um… are you okay?
- Tyler: You lied to me earlier. Why?
- Caroline: Look, Tyler… I think that you misunderstood me at the party. I get it, it was very traumatic.
- Tyler: You’re lying.
- Caroline: Nope but I’m late.
- (She leaves but he catches her arm)
- Tyler: Hey!
- (She twists his arm and throws him on the floor. He gets up)
- Tyler: How did you… you’re stronger than me?
- Caroline: Please, that was nothing.
- Tyler: Listen, if you know something you’ve got to tell me because I can’t handle this.
- Caroline: I’m sorry, Tyler but I think that you’re still in shock over Sarah dying and it’s understandable.
- (He looks at her and leaves. He shots in garbage but he’s so stronger that the garbage falls into a car. Everyone looks at him. He looks at Caroline and leaves)
- Caroline: What are you doing here?
- Tyler: I know.
- Caroline: Breaking and entering the sheriffs house. That move will win you an award.
- Tyler: Go ahead. Keep dodging, keep changing the subject... But i know. You're just like me. Aren't you?
- Caroline: No
- Tyler: Keep it up but I'm not buying it. I saw how strong you were. I'm not leaving here until you tell me the truth.
- Caroline: Tyler...
- Tyler: You're a Werewolf. Say it.
- Caroline: (Giggles) What?
- (Tyler takes her by the shoulders and pushes her up against the wall)
- Tyler: Stop lying!
- Caroline: I'm not lying!
- (Tyler hits the wall next to Caroline's head causing a framed picture to fall off the wall)
- Tyler: Just say it!
- (Caroline grabs Tyler and spins him into the adjacent wall. she places her hand around his neck and reveals her vampire fangs/eyes. She throws him down onto the floor. He slides himself away from her )
- Caroline: I'm not a werewolf. Ok?
- Caroline: I know this sounds crazy but alcohol helps or at least it helps me. You know, with all that inside jittery stuff.
- Tyler: I’m hot. It’s like my skin is on fire.
- Caroline: Really? I never had any of that. I guess wolves are different.
- Caroline: At the beginning, I was very, very emotional. Everything was heightened.
- Tyler: I have that. How can you be a vampire?
- Caroline: How can you be a werewolf?
- Tyler: Who else is like you?
- Caroline: Just me. It’s a really long story we can share another time. How many other werewolves are there?
- Tyler: Just me. And my uncle Mason but he left town.
- Caroline: Look, Tyler… You can’t tell anyone, okay? Not about you, not about me. No one would understand.
- Tyler: I know.
- Caroline: I want to tell you about my mom and yours and the founding families and the council but I need you to promise me no one will find out about us. This is life and death, Tyler.
- Tyler: I have no one else to tell. I’m sorry about earlier. It’s just, I’m alone with this. It’s gonna happen to me. In the next full moon, I’m gonna turn and I won’t be able to stop it. I’m scared.
- Caroline: Tyler. No, it's...
- (She embraces him)
- -- Rose.
- Caroline: Tell me you brought the instruction manual.
- Tyler: Tell me you brought the wolfsbane.
- Caroline: Yes. Not easy to find.
- (She gives him the wolfsbane. When he touches it, his skin burns)
- Tyler: I have water bottles in my bag, we can mix it in there.
- (She mixes the wolfsbane in the water)
- Tyler: The guy at the hardware store said this was set up to resist 5000 pounds.
- Caroline: Is that more than a werewolf can pull?
- Tyler: I have no idea.
- Caroline: Hey Tyler, how are you doing?
- Tyler: Still human.
- (He takes off his shirt)
- Caroline: Oh my god, you’re not getting get naked, are you?
- Tyler: It’s elastic. What should I wear? I don’t think it’s like the hulk, I can keep my pants.
- -- By the Light of the Moon.
- Tyler: Hey. Where have you been?
- Caroline: At school. What’s up? What do you want?
- Tyler: We need to talk.
- Caroline: Why? What’s wrong with you?
- Tyler: I just don’t understand one thing.
- Caroline: What?
- Tyler: Why would you risk it? If a werewolf bite kills a vampire… why would you risk it?
- Caroline: Because you needed help.
- Tyler: I could have killed you.
- Caroline: But you didn’t.
- Tyler: I don’t understand you, Caroline.
- Caroline: Why is it so hard for you to let someone else help you?
- Tyler: That’s not it.
- Caroline: Yes it is, Tyler. It’s like you don’t want anyone to care about you and I’m sorry I cared. I care Tyler so forgive me if I overstepped my boundaries by actually giving a...
- (He kisses her, but she breaks it off)
- Caroline: You can’t do that.
- Tyler: I’m sorry, it’s…
- Caroline: Everyone just need to stop kissing me!
- -- The Descent.
- (Caroline leaves her house and senses someone behind her and turns around and sees it's Tyler)
- Caroline: Hey. How's it going?
- Tyler: We need to talk.
- Caroline: Yeah, we do. Listen, I've been thinking about it and I don't want to over-analyze. I mean, it was just one kiss but...Matt's still kinda in the picture. We can't go there, Tyler.
- Tyler: Fine.
- Caroline: Great. It's settled.
- Tyler: What happened to my Uncle Mason?
- Caroline: What?
- Tyler: He's dead and I want you to tell me what happened.
- Caroline: Tyler, I don't...
- Tyler: Then let me tell you. Stefan and his brother Damon killed him because Stefan and Damon are vampires, just like you.
- Caroline: Who told you that?
- Tyler: Is it true?
- Caroline: Let me explain...
- Tyler: Did you know he was dead this whole time?
- Caroline: Please...
- Tyler: Did you know?
- (Caroline gives him a tear-filled nod and he shoves her against her car)
- Caroline: I'm sorry Tyler! I'm sorry!
- Tyler: I trusted you!
- Tyler: Are you okay?
- Caroline: I’m fine.
- Tyler: I had no idea they would come for you.
- Caroline: Do you know what they did to me?
- Tyler: I’m sorry. But it’s crazy now. Okay. I don’t know who to trust. You lied to me!
- Caroline: I lied to protect my friends. I lied to protect you – don’t you get that?
- Tyler: Caroline-
- Caroline: You just stood there! When they were going to kill us! You just stood there. You didn’t do anything!
- Tyler: I didn’t know what to do!
- Caroline: You help your friend. That’s what you do.
- Tyler: I’m sorry.
- Caroline: No, it’s too late. ‘Cause we’re not friends anymore. And what happened to me tonight – that will never happen again. You take that back to your little werewolf pack and you get the hell out of my house.
- -- Daddy Issues.
- Tyler: Matt.
- Matt: I'm not in the mood, man.
- Tyler: I need to say something.
- Matt: All right, say it.
- Tyler: I've been going through a rough time, something I can't really talk about. Caroline's been helping me through it. She's been there for me, more than anyone's ever been there my entire life...I kinda fell for her. I don't know how anyone wouldn't because she's pretty incredible. But she loves you. And she needs you. And to be honest, she deserves someone like you. So you be good to her, okay?
- Matt: Yeah man. Of course.
- Tyler: See you around Matt.
- -- Crying Wolf.
- Caroline: (sees Tyler and Jules) Tyler? Jules?
- Jules: I'll give you a few minutes.
- Tyler: Thank you.
- Jules: Just a few, Tyler.
- Tyler: I got it. (she leaves) She's just making sure I'm safe.
- Caroline: So what, are you two like, friends now?
- Tyler: She's been helping me. How are you?
- Caroline: I heard about your mom, I just came to check in on her.
- Tyler: She's banged up, but she'll be okay.
- Caroline: And you? How's everything with you?
- Tyler: I'm hanging in there.
- Caroline: Good.
- Tyler: I should get going. Jules and I need to get on the road.
- Caroline: You’re leaving again?
- Tyler: I left for a reason, Caroline.
- Caroline: Your explanation must have gotten lost in the mail, along with your goodbye.
- Tyler: Well... take care of yourself.
- Caroline: Why didn't you say goodbye? You just left.
- Tyler: You want to talk about this now?
- Caroline: Well if we're gonna die, might as well know the truth. Why did you leave me?
- Tyler: I knew you hated me. I thought you deserved better than having someone like me... in your life.
- Caroline: I was hurt. You know, you turned your back on me when I needed you. But... I could never hate you, Tyler.
- -- The Last Day.
- Caroline: Ooh, yeah, you got shot but it's healing.
- Tyler: You were right. I shouldn't have come home.
- Caroline: No, you just... Should have never left. And you shouldn't leave again.
- Tyler: You're kidding, right? This is the second time I've tried to kill you.
- Caroline: Well, no friendship is perfect. Matt broke up with me.
- Tyler: I'm sorry.
- Caroline: Yeah, well, you know, instead of just bailing on me again, you could just say... "Thank you, Caroline, for taking care of me. And I'm sorry that I tried to chow down on you again. "
- (She cries)
- Tyler: Hey. Hey. Come here.
- (He embraces her)
- Tyler: Thank you, Caroline. For taking care of me.
- Caroline: You're welcome.
- -- The Sun Also Rises.
- Caroline: Do you think Matt's going to be okay?
- Tyler: I am kissing you and you are wondering about your ex-boyfriend?
- -- The Reckoning.
- Tyler: I'm his first successful hybrid, Caroline. Don't you think that's the tiniest thing awesome?
- Tyler: Everything I like about me, is you.
- Caroline: You have to earn the over-nighter.
- Tyler: I consider that a challenge.
- -- Smells Like Teen Spirit.
- Caroline: Wait, you set her up with Matt?!
- Tyler: She wants to go to the dance and he didn’t have anyone to go with. He drinks vervain, she can’t feed on him… What’s the big deal?
- Caroline: The big deal, Tyler, is that Matt is an innocent, good person who should not be going to dances with Evil Blood Sluts.
- Tyler: You’re lying to me.
- Caroline: You know, actually, I’m not. I don’t know anything. But even if I did, I wouldn’t tell you about it because you’re sired to Team Klaus now, and you can’t be trusted.
- Caroline: This isn’t funny, Tyler! How am I supposed to be with you when you’re sired to him?
- Tyler: I need you to understand, Caroline.
- Caroline: Understand what? That you’re one of the bad guys now?
- Tyler: Understand that this is who I am. There’s nothing that I can do about it. Klaus can’t be killed, I can’t be fixed. Understand that I’m okay with it.
- Caroline: But… how are you okay with it?
- Tyler: Because it’s better. I don’t have to turn, Caroline. Not unless I want to. I never have to go through that pain again. If being sired to Klaus is the price that I have to pay, so be it.
- Caroline: But you don’t have any true control over yourself.
- Tyler: I never did before. The full moon controlled me. After everything that we’ve been through… you’ve been there for me through all of it. Don’t turn your back on me now.
- -- Homecoming.
- Caroline: So best case scenario, Bonnie get's us out of here, Klaus hauls ass to Timbuktoo, and you and I we're home free.
- Tyler: Or we let Esther come and kill him.
- Caroline:That's not a best case scenario. That's not even a remotely acceptable scenario .
- Tyler: It would be an option if we knew he wasn't the one who turned your bloodline. You'd be safe. At least he'd be gone
- Caroline: How could you say that?
- Tyler: Because I'm angry! Because I hate him! I should have never let him dance with you!
- Caroline: What were you supposed to do? He can't know you're not sired anymore! Tyler, it doesn't matter how many times I dance with him. I love you.
- -- Do Not Go Gentle.
- (Caroline and Tyler are making out in Tyler's bed and Caroline abruptly stops )
- Caroline: This is wrong. Bunch of people died and we are having sex.
- Tyler: Grief Sex. It's healthy.
- Caroline: It's selfish.
- Tyler: It's natural...Besides, if we stop having sex every time somebody died in this town, we'd explode.
- Caroline: You need to be more sensitive.
- Tyler: Oh! Come on....I love you. How is that for sensitive?
- Caroline: I love you too.
- -- Memorial.
- (Caroline enters to the Lockwood Mansion and clasps Tyler)
- Caroline: I ditched Rebekah's ditching party.
- (Caroline starts making out with Tyler. But suddenly she stops and looks around )
- Caroline: what's with all the testosterones ?
- Tyler: Hybrids. I'm on house arrest.
- Caroline: Says who? your mom? ... Come on... Let's sneak out
- Tyler: Not my mom, Caroline.
- (Tyler gestures her )
- Caroline: You are kidding me.... Klaus?
- (Meanwhile Klaus listens to this conversation while talking with Hayley)
- Tyler: You should go to the party. I'll be fine here.
- Caroline: But I rather hang with you.
- Tyler: Trust me, I'm no fun right now.
- -- The Rager.
- Caroline: How many times are we gonna have to say goodbye?
- Tyler: At least this time we have a minute to do it the right way.
- Caroline: There isn't a right way.
- Tyler: This isn't goodbye. This is...until we find a way. We're immortal remember? We will find a way.
- Caroline: What if we don't? Tell me that you'll never think of me again. Tell me that you'll forget about me, tell me that you are going to go on and live a full and happy life without me.
- Tyler: I will live a happy life without you. I will forget all about you and I will never ever think about you again.
- (They kiss)
- Caroline: Until we find a way.
- (Tyler kisses Caroline's forehead and leaves, while Caroline cries)
- -- Down the Rabbit Hole.
- (Caroline go to the Lockwood Mansion because Matt ask her to go)
- Tyler: Dear Car, I miss you more than I can put into words but I know as long as Klaus live I can't come home, He won't stop trying to kill me , and you won't stop trying to protect me wich means the only way to make sure you're safe is for me to go and never come back. I left Matt the deed to the house it will protect you in ways I can't anymore. I will always love you.
- Caroline: He is not coming back
- (Caroline starts crying and Matt comfort her)