|“||He was so much more than a small-town kid and he lived so much more than a small-town life. I loved him. You know, we all did.||”|
Originally, the two did not like each other. She thought he was hot-headed and temperamental, and he thought that she was spoiled and selfish. After Caroline breaks up a fight between Tyler and Matt, and Tyler kills Sarah, she's the first to realize that he has activated his curse. Tyler, suspicious of her, soon discovers that she's a vampire, only after accusing her of also being a werewolf due to her strength. She tells him that she's the only vampire in Mystic Falls, only in an effort to protect Stefan and Damon. She comforts him throughout his transition.
After discovering that Caroline could have died by being so close to him, Tyler kisses her. Shocked, she slams the door in his face and later explains about her existing feelings for Matt. When Jules arrives, she informs Tyler that Caroline lied about being the only vampire and that she knows what happened to his uncle, Mason. Tyler confronts Caroline, believing she betrayed him. After Tyler hesitates in saving her from Jules, Caroline turns her back on him, and he leaves town with Jules without saying goodbye.
Greta and Maddox kidnap both Tyler and Caroline upon his return to town. Caroline informs Tyler that they have been lined up to be executed in Klaus's sacrifice, however, Damon arrives to save Caroline. She convinces him to save Tyler too, and ends up running from Tyler with Matt after he turns into a werewolf. Later, Caroline informs Tyler that Matt broke up with her and he comforts her.
Tyler and Caroline form a strong friendship. Caroline's jealous when Tyler brings Sofie to Elena's party. She compels Sofie to leave, leading to Tyler to confront her. They end up kissing and then sleeping together. However, when Caroline tries to sneak out, Carol kidnaps her and delivers her to her father, Bill to be tortured. Tyler and Liz save her and she soon begins a relationship with Tyler. However, upon Klaus's return, he turns Tyler into his first successful hybrid. As a result, Tyler becomes sired to Klaus and begins to rely on Rebekah for blood. Tyler leaves town to break the sire bond and, when he returns having been successful, is unhappy to learn that Klaus has fallen in love with Caroline. After Klaus's "death," Caroline tearfully kisses Tyler goodbye, unaware that Klaus has in fact, taken over Tyler's body.
Tyler later returned to his own body. When Klaus bites Caroline, Tyler carries Caroline's body to where Klaus is, saying that he deserves to watch her die. After Klaus heals Caroline, he threatens to kill Tyler but she convinces him not to. Instead, he gives Tyler a "head start" and tells him to start running. Thus, Caroline and Tyler bid a tearful farewell, promising it wouldn't be forever. Before Klaus leaves town, he tells Caroline he has a graduation present for her and gives Tyler the freedom to return.
Tyler defers from college much to Caroline's sadness. He returns to comfort her about Bonnie's death. They have a brief reunion, but Tyler reveals that he plans to kill Klaus, thus leaving town again. She warns him that it will be over between them if he leaves, but he does so anyway. When Tyler returns to Mystic Falls, he initially wants to get back with Caroline however their relationship takes a negative turn after he finds out that she slept with Klaus. He angrily confronts Caroline about it, ending their romantic relationship. When the other side collapses and Tyler comes back, him and Caroline share a brief hug.
They are referred to as "Forwood" or "Tyroline" but less commonly, "Cyler" or "Tyline" by fans.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
Tyler and Caroline were initially mutual friends and would hang out sometimes and play pool together. This was probably because they'd known each other since infancy. When Matt avoided Tyler due to his incident with his mother, Caroline tried to make amends between them. Caroline joked with Tyler about getting drunk enough until someone is hot enough to make out with. In Season 3 Caroline tells Tyler she didn't like the old him.
Although Tyler and Caroline have broken up, they remain good friends this season.
In I Never Could Love Like That, a humanity-less Caroline, with the help of Stefan, have Tyler and Matt trapped in The Skull. Caroline suggests they play a game, called "Caroline Trivia", where she asks them questions about herself, and the person who answers the questions correct stays alive. Tyler and Matt are tied, until Caroline asks them what the last memory of her mother was. Neither of them knew the answer, so Caroline decides that they both will die. She flips a coin to determine whether to kill Tyler or Matt, but Tyler angrily stops her. Caroline continues to pick a fight with Tyler until he grabs a stake and tries to stake her. This plan fails, however, as Caroline grabs Matt and uses him as a shield in which Tyler actually stakes Matt instead.
In I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime, Caroline apologizes to Tyler about everything that happened while her humanity was off. Tyler forgives her, and jokingly tells her that getting tortured by his ex and her new boyfriend is never good for the ego, as she quickly responds that Stefan is not her boyfriend. He tells her that he can't keep up with her and Stefan, and she apologizes again. He tells her that she's good. Liv interrupts them and Caroline leaves to make drinks. When she comes back, Liv is gone, and asks Tyler what he did. He tells her that he didn't do anything, but Caroline doesn't believe him. She tells him that he should work out his problems with Liv, but he gets defensive and tells Caroline that she shouldn't be giving him relationship advice considering all of her "Stefan-drama." He tells her to figure out her one life and let him worry about his own, and walks away.
In Coming Home Was a Mistake, Caroline attends Tyler's funeral. In the first attempt to have a private funeral for Tyler, Caroline mentions how she loved him so much and found a great friend in him as a way of saying goodbye to Tyler.
- Caroline: I am gonna drink until someone is hot enough to make out with.
- Tyler: Sounds like a plan.
- -- Haunted
- Caroline: Let's play Caroline Trivia!
- Tyler: I don't even know what that is.
- Caroline: Oh, sure you do! You both dated me, which means you should know everything about me. So, I'm gonna ask you some questions about myself, and whoever answers them right lives.
- Matt: You're sick.
- Caroline: When is my birthday, Tyler?
- Tyler: October 10th.
- Stefan: Oooh! Looks like somebody's angry.
- Caroline: (to Stefan) He's a wolf. It's his resting face.
- Tyler: And you wonder why everyone hates vampires? Look at you, messing with people for no reason! That's really brave.
- Caroline: Haha! See that little vein in his forehead? I used to think it was so sexy, but now I'm pretty sure it's just all the blood leaving his brain.
- Tyler: Screw you, Caroline.
- -- I Could Never Love Like That
- Caroline: No, not there, there. Still a little bit higher. Well, that's not a little, but...
- Tyler: But, I'm bad at flowers? Yeah, I assumed you knew that. Caroline, why am I here?
- Caroline: I tried to kill you. My humanity was off, but I still tried to kill you, and you're my friend, and... I'm sorry.
- Tyler: That's funny. You and I moved on a while ago, but getting tortured by your ex and her new boyfriend is never good for the ego.
- Caroline: He's not my boyfriend.
- Tyler: Whatever he is, I can't keep up.
- Caroline: You have to know, I would never do anything like that if it weren't for...
- Tyler: You're good, Care. And, if you want to make amends? Let me get the hell out of here.
- Caroline: Nice try! But, if I were getting married in an altar that looked like that, I would be divorced in a week. So come on, Lockwood. Next row.
- Caroline: I made you guys some amazing drinks, with a little bit of tequila. Okay, a lot of tequila. And there's only one of you. What did you do?
- Tyler: I didn't do anything.
- Caroline: He said angrily.
- Tyler: Nothing has changed. What, because she walks in here with a pretty dress and a new haircut, I'm supposed to forget how she acted?
- Caroline: No, you're supposed to talk to her like an adult and work out your problems.
- Tyler: You don't know about our problems.
- Caroline: No, but I know about your problems... unless you're cool with only making it two weeks in the police academy and then having no purpose in life? At least when you had her, you were trying, Tyler.
- Tyler: You're giving me advice about relationships, after all your Stefan drama this year? Do me a favor, figure out your own damn life. Let me worry about mine.
- -- I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime
- Start Up: The Birthday (3x01)
- On Hold: The Ties That Bind (3x12)
- Reason: After Tyler accidentally bites Caroline, he decide to leave the town to break his sire bond with Klaus, so that he can't hurt Caroline anymore, so until that they are separated. It confirmed by Caroline in Dangerous Liaisons, when she said to Klaus that because of him and his sire bond, that Tyler left town and they break up.
- Back on: Heart of Darkness (3x19)
- On Hold: Down the Rabbit Hole (4x14)
- Reason: Tyler left Mystic Falls to escape Klaus.
- Back On: Graduation (4x23)
- Reason: Klaus allows Tyler to come back to Mystic Falls, giving him his freedom back.
- Ended: Monster's Ball (5x05)
- Reason: Tyler still desires vengeance for Carol's murder at Klaus' hands and breaks up with Caroline because of it. He heads to New Orleans.
- They share their first kiss in The Descent.
- They broke up in the episode Monster's Ball.
- They sleep together in The Birthday.
- They have both lost both of their parents in the same order; father, then mother.
- Candice Accola ships them.
- Caroline was Tyler's first love.
- Caroline was the first vampire he bit after becoming a hybrid.