|This article is about Tyler Lockwood from the TV Series. You may be looking for Tyler Smallwood from the novels.|
|“||I triggered my curse, tell every vampire to steer clear of me, I don't know if I'll be able to control who I go after and my bite will kill them.||”|
Tyler Lockwood was a main character and a former hybrid who played for the football team at Mystic Falls High School. He was a werewolf and he became the first successful hybrid of Klaus's bloodline. He was an untriggered werewolf after his death and resurrection in Home. Later in I'm Thinking Of You All The While he killed Liv to trigger the curse so he could heal.
He is the son of Richard Lockwood and Carol Lockwood, and the nephew of Mason Lockwood who is also a werewolf. He was initially portrayed to be arrogant, selfish and a bully. But after triggering the family curse which turned him into a werewolf, he has learned to tone his behavior down. Before this revelation, he was referred to many times as a "dick," by both his best friend; Matt Donovan and Jeremy Gilbert. He is shown to have an athletic build, and great strength as a human. He also has a short temper and becomes angry very easily. He didn't understand why he behaved the way he did, at least until Mason came to visit after Richard Lockwood's death.
Initially after becoming a hybrid, he was extremely grateful to Klaus for taking away his pain of turning every month. However, he soon becomes angered at the prospect of being sired to him after he bites his girlfriend, Caroline Forbes. He manages to break the sire bond and continued to help other hybrids break the curse of being sired. This came at a price once Klaus found out about his actions, as Klaus murdered his mother and last remaining family member. Since then, he swore revenge on Klaus for his actions.
He had an on-and-off relationship with Vicki Donovan until her death and after he triggered his werewolf curse, starts to fall for Caroline after she helps him on a Full Moon, despite her relationship with his best friend, Matt, at the time. His relationship with Caroline has gone through the rocks over the series yet it fell apart after he chose to avenge his mother in favor of staying in college and being with her.
After a failed attempt to kill Klaus and Hayley's child, he was imprisoned in The Garden until released by Rebekah as a "parting gift" and in 500 Years of Solitude returns to Mystic Falls. He later grew suspicious about the relationship between Nadia and Matt, leading to the discovery that Katherine was, in fact, inhabiting Elena's body without anybody realizing.
In Man on Fire, Tyler became possessed by Julian, a Traveler. It was similar to how Katherine possessed Elena and became a Passenger in Elena's body. His control over his own later resurfaces without the Travelers realizing, allowing Tyler to uncover what they were planning: the eradication of Spirit magic and all that Witches ever created through it; he ultimately escapes and quickly relayed what he learned to his friends. After the Travelers used the Body Sealing Spell on Tyler, Julian got permanent control of Tyler's body and due to Markos destroying the Traveler's Knife that was needed to remove Passengers, Julian could not be banished. Later, Julian was captured by the Travelers and they brought Julian to Mystic Falls, where they had cast a spell that can undo any magic, including vampirism. Thus, when Julian entered Mystic Falls, he lost Tyler's vampirism and they both died, because vampirism was what kept them alive. Tyler, ended up on the Other Side, but thanks to Bonnie's sacrifice, he was able to come back to life and he discovered that he was no longer a hybrid. At the beginning of the sixth season, Tyler is seen struggling to maintain his composure in order to prevent his werewolf gene from being triggered once again.
Tyler is a member of the Lockwood Family.
Tyler was born to Mayor Richard Lockwood and Carol Lockwood on February 10, 1992 in Mystic Falls, Virginia. After discovering that the werewolf gene runs through his family, Tyler was scared to become a werewolf himself and his fears became true when he accidentally killed Sarah and triggered the curse. Caroline Forbes, a vampire who wasn't his friend, offered her support to him, helping him through his first transformation and preparation for his new life. Tyler eventually fell for Caroline, but questioned their relationship when Jules, another werewolf and Mason's friend, told him that Caroline and two other vampires, Stefan and Damon Salvatore, killed Mason. Finding out that this was true, Tyler felt betrayed and leaned towards the werewolf brethren. He hesitated to help Caroline when she and the Salvatore's were at the brink of death, which hurt her, causing her to cut off their friendship. He was the one who revealed Mason's plan to break the curse to Jules and her boyfriend Brady. He then helps them find the moonstone and the doppelgänger. Stefan reveals to Tyler that Jules and Brady had lied to him and that Elena would die in the ritual to break the curse. He releases Stefan who kills Brady before he can capture Elena during which time the rest of the pack is killed by Elijah. He then decides to leave town with Jules, the only survivor, with a promise that she wouldn't lie to him anymore. After receiving a phone call from his mother telling him that she had an accident and was in the hospital, Tyler and Jules returned to Mystic Falls. They were both captured by Maddox and Greta Martin, witches working for Klaus, and were to be used in the sacrifice that would make Klaus a vampire/werewolf hybrid. Tyler and Caroline, who had also been captured for the sacrifice ritual, were rescued by Damon, who was later bitten by Tyler during his transformation. Tyler and Caroline eventually start a relationship, which becomes rocky when he becomes Klaus's first successful hybrid. His life is made much easier when his transformations cease to happen unwillingly and Tyler becomes very respectful of Klaus, trying to sabotage his friends' plots against him, which is later revealed to be due to a sire bond.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
Tyler was Vicki Donovan's ex-boyfriend. He didn't treat her well, and he seemed to feel bad about it, especially since he can never make it up to her now that she's dead. He had a rivalry with Jeremy Gilbert because of Vicki, but they have gotten over their differences and currently don't hate each other.
He was friends with Matt Donovan, but it wasn't a close friendship and now Matt hates Tyler because of what happened between him and Matt's mom. At the Founder's Day Kick-Off Party, Tyler met Matt's mother, Kelly Donovan, and they started talking and made out. When Matt saw this, he was furious and Matt and Tyler got into a fist-fight. His father was also very angry and told him that he'll never disgrace his family again. However, in season two, Tyler and Matt are shown to have became friends again.
Before Founder's Day, the existence of werewolves and him being one was unknown, although there were small hints to him being a werewolf. His werewolf eyes were first seen in this episode. He was driving with Matt, taking Caroline home. When the strange device that hurts vampires was activated he started to drive recklessly and crashed his dad's car. His eyes turn yellow when he was getting checked and were only seen by the paramedic when Tyler was unconscious. Afterwards someone found Caroline unconscious from the injuries and she was taken to the hospital, where both Matt and Tyler were waiting to find out the results of her surgery. Her mother Elizabeth Forbes came and asked him to call his mother, then informed him that his father was dead.
In I'll Remember, Tyler is first seen talking to Caroline through Elena's phone at Whitmore College. Later on Tyler arrives to class late because of football practice, he then sits down next to Liv and looks at her book to see what page their on but she pulls away, Tyler tells her that he was just trying to see what page their on, so she then uses magic to turn Tyler's book to the correct page. After class Tyler is seen at the football tailgate drinking where he bumps into Alaric and says "Watch it dick", Ric then asks Tyler if he should be drinking this close to a full moon, Tyler says that he's in control but Ric takes his drink from him anyways then Tyler looks at Liv and Alaric tells him that "that girl is so not into you". Tyler is later on his phone talking to Caroline when she tells him that Luke has been giving Elena witchy drugs to make her hallucinate Damon, Tyler tells her he'll handle it, he then sees Luke and confronts him then Luke touches Tyler and he loses it and slaps Luke's hand and then chokes him and says to leave Elena alone then Alaric breaks it up. Tyler is then doing pull ups when Liv confronts him, Tyler apologizes but Liv tells him to say it to Luke not her. Tyler is later on seen exercising again.
In Welcome to Paradise, He is at Whitmore, he ask Liv if she could "spare a keg or two" for a party, she first says no but then Luke convinces her to change her mind and she tells Tyler to come by the bar after 1:00. He later arrives at the party and sees Matt and Jay talking about Sarah's attack, Tyler interrupts them, which almost leads to a fight between Jay and Tyler but Matt breaks it up. Tyler and Matt then go to meet Elena and Caroline in the woods, where they use to go to get drunk when they were younger. Elena offers Tyler a shot but he says he can't because he's trying to control his anger and drinking won't help. After the party he and Matt are putting the kegs back on the truck but then Enzo stops them because he needs to get rid of Jays body. Then Tyler and Matt are talking and Liv interrupts them because she needs the kegs back and when Tyler attempts to put them in Liv car but she uses her magic to toy with Tyler, he ask her why is she doing that, she tells him that she doesn't want to fall for Tyler.
In The World Has Turned and Left Me Here, He is in Alaric's class, sitting next to Liv and he asks her out on a date and she says no. Tyler is later driving his truck to the Homecoming when someone runs in front of him then Tyler attempts to swerves but he hits the guy anyways, along with multiple other people as he drove uncontrollably through the corn maze. After the truck crashes, Tyler gets out and he sees the guy he hit pinned under the truck, then he calls Elena and tells her that he was the one driving the truck and that the guy is dying, he tells Elena that he needs her to come help him because if she doesn't then he will trigger his wolf gene again. He tries to lift the car off of the guy but he couldn't and then Liv uses her magic to lift it. Then Liv calls Elena and Elena has Jo explains to Tyler that the guy will die, so to protect Tyler from becoming a werewolf again Liv kills the guy. Later Tyler finds Liv to thank her.
In Do You Remember the First Time?, He is at the bar pouring champagne during the annual Whitmore medical center fundraiser. Liv approaches him and tells him that he's making a mess and doing it all wrong, Tyler then thanks her for preventing him from triggering his wolf gene.
In Fade Into You, he is setting up the table for the "Friendsgiving" meal and Liv walks in ask him where does he want her to put the stuffing and then Jo says that she'll take it. Then Tyler ask Liv where is Luke, she tells him that he's outside making a video for their 22nd birthday. He ask Liv if she wants a drink but she tells him that she's not in the mood, Tyler ask her if he did anything wrong and she says no. Tyler finds Liv at the bar and ask her why didn't she tell him about her coven, he tells her that she doesn't have to do what her coven says, she tells him that she doesn't have a choice. Later he is at the Lockwood Mansion with Liv, he tells her that he brought her there because magic doesn't work in Mystic Falls, so the witches can't get to her.
In I Alone, He is at the Lockwood Mansion with Liv, Matt, and Monique, he tells Liv that he doesn't want her to leave because it's too dangerous since her coven is still after her, he ask Matt to back him up but Matt says he can't because its for Bonnie. Later Tyler saves Liv from Kai by pushing him off the balcony. Then Liv brings Damon and Elena back, Tyler tells them that she had to because Kai attacked her, he apologizes to Elena and tells her that now he has to get Liv back to Mystic Falls. Tyler arrives at the Lockwood mansion to find that Kai is there, he tells Tyler that he doesn't want to kill him, he says that he wants to make a deal with Tyler to save Liv's life.
In Christmas Through Your Eyes, He is at the Lockwood Mansion with Liv and Luke and he tells them that they need to help to keep Kai alive because then he can merge with Jo and Liv and Luke will be safe. Damon calls Tyler and tells him that he knows that they have Jo, Tyler tells Damon that he is just trying to save Liv. Later Tyler sees Luke and asks him, why did he tell Damon where to find Kai and Jo, Tyler tells him that he's putting Liv's life at risk.
In Woke Up With a Monster, he is at Whitmore and on the phone with Liv, she tells him that she's in Damon's room looking for a shirt because Jo burnt hers. he ask her how is Jo's training working out, Liv tells him that it's going bad, Tyler tells her to make sure that Luke doesn't find out. Tyler later finds out that Liv isn't as strong as she told him she was, Tyler says that they should run but Liv says no because he family will hunt her, Tyler tells her to go since she doesn't want to listen, Liv says that she knew their relationship was a mistake but Tyler says that it's not. Then Luke comes and tell them that he's not doing the merge.
In Prayer For the Dying, he is in his bed with Liv in her dorm room then Joshua Parker, Liv's dad, knocked on her door, Tyler over hears Joshua say that it's her birthday which Tyler wasn't even aware of because Liv lied to him. Tyler wants to know why she didn't tell him, Tyler wants to talk to Joshua to convince him to hold out on the merge until Jo is strong enough but Liv says that it's a bad idea. Tyler sneaks into Ric's place to let Kai go free so that if Joshua tries to make Liv and Luke merge he can let Kai go so that Kai and Jo will merge instead but Damon stops him. Tyler eventually wakes up and saves Liv and Luke from their dad because he was trying to force them to merge. Then Tyler and Liv find out that Luke is dead and he comforts her.
In The Day I Tried To Live, he is in the dorms with Liv, Tyler's tells her not to blame Luke because it's Kai's fault, he tells her that Kai is going to kill everyone in the Gemini Coven, so they need to leave town but Liv doesn't want to leave,s he wants to avenge Luke's death, Tyler tells her that its a bad idea but Liv tracks him down to the Salvatore Boarding House, Tyler tells her that he understands what she's going through but she can't kill Kai because if he dies then every Witch in the Gemini Coven will too, Liv still doesn't care and tries to leave but Tyler gets in her way, so she uses a spell to put him to sleep. Tyler wakes up and brings her back to her room, then he breaks up with her because she lied to him.
In Let Her Go, he is at the Salvatore Boarding House helping Caroline over her mother's death. He shows up at Liz's funeral drunk but before he can enter the building, Matt stops him and tells him to leave. After Liz's funeral he meets Matt at the grill, they talk about how bad their lives have been and then Matt comes up with the idea that they should join the officer training program to become cops.
In I Never Could Love Like That, he is going to the bar with Matt to eat. He enters the bar and sees that Caroline and Stefan have compelled everyone. Tyler tries to leave but Stefan stops him and Matt from doing so, then Caroline forces them to play a game called "Caroline trivia", and whoever answers them right will live, but neither of them get the last question right, so then Caroline said heads I kill Tyler, tails I kill Matt but before she could show them what the coin landed on, Tyler slaps it out of her hand. Tyler tells them that they are the reason why everyone hurts Vampires, then he gets up, and throws a chair at Stefan, Matt tells him to stop but he doesn't. Tyler picks up a wooden stake and dares either one of them to come at him and he does but Caroline pulls Matt in front of her and Tyler accidentally stabs him. Damon enters the bar and gives Tyler his keys and him and Matt leave and Takes Matt to the hospital.
In I'd Leave My Happy Home For You, he arrives late at the Salvatore Boarding House for Ric's bachelor party, later on during the party he finds Matt in the kitchen and tries to take him home because he's drunk but Matt won't allow him to and starts a fight with Tyler then he punches Matt and throws him against the refrigerator, Tyler tells him that he doesn't want to do the deputy training program because he runs the risk of triggering the wolf gene again.
In I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime, he is at Alaric's Apartment with Ric and Matt preparing for the wedding. Then he is with Caroline arranging flowers and helping with the wedding and Tyler ask why is he there then she apologizes for trying to kill him and Tyler accept then Liv arrives and her and tyler get into another argument and she leaves. Caroline comes back with drinks for them but she sees that Liv is gone and she tells Tyler that he needs to fix it but Tyler gets angry at Caroline because she hasn't even fixed her own relationship problems and he leaves. Later he is at the wedding.
In I'm Thinking Of You All The While, he was outside on the ground with Liv with a shard of glass in his chest, they're both dying and Liv tells Tyler to kill her because she is going to die either way but if Tyler kills her, he'll trigger the wolf gene and he will heal, he originally objects but Liv makes him do it, so Tyler suffocates her then Tyler begins to turn, so he calls Matt and tells him to warn everyone because once Tyler turns he wont be able to control himself. Then he attacks Kai in the parking lot and bites him, Kai throws Tyler and he runs away. Later, the next day, he is at the Salvatore Boarding House and is given a dream with Elena in order to say goodbye, she tells him that he should leave town and live his life as a wolf.
Season OneBloodletting, Tyler traveled to New Orleans after hearing from witches about Klaus and Hayley's unborn child and the horror that it may bring with its birth. He abducted Hayley, despite once having been friends with her. He kidnaps Hayley in order to test a theory he had about her baby. He brought Hayley to her ancestral werewolf clan's current home and with the help of a werewolf named Dwayne, kept her there. He took some of her blood, which she shared with her baby and injected Dwayne with it before killing him. He believed that her unborn child's blood would be able to sire more hybrids and that it must be the reason why Klaus would even remotely care about protecting her or the baby. When the test worked and Dwayne became a hybrid, Tyler, having seen Klaus' plans for hybrids firsthand, knew that he had to get rid of Hayley and the baby before Klaus got a chance to cause anymore harm. Hayley resisted, though, and unknown to Tyler, the baby's blood actually made Dwayne sired to her rather than Klaus. Dwayne protected Hayley, giving her a chance to get away before Tyler ripped out his heart. Klaus caught up with him in the woods, surprised at how vicious Tyler had become. Tyler was still seeking Marcel, not deterred by the defeat from his quest for vengeance. He told Marcel that Hayley was pregnant with Klaus' child and the threat that it posed to all vampires.
In The River in Reverse, Tyler gets his neck snapped and is thrown into The Garden by Marcel and Rebekah after he makes it known that he's willing to kill a harmless baby. Rebekah released Tyler from the Garden between Après Moi, Le Déluge and Dance Back from the Grave.
In the beginning of series, Tyler had a very aggressive, arrogant and selfish personality. He showed this many times for example when he had fights with Jeremy Gilbert over his girlfriend Vicki Donovan. Tyler behaved like this because of his werewolf gene. In Season 2, when his uncle Mason came to town, he learned how to control his anger and tone down his behavior. But after discovering that his family carried the werewolf gene, Tyler was scared to become a werewolf himself.
His fears came true when he accidentally killed Sarah and triggered the curse. Tyler felt guilty for killing Sarah and when he discovered Caroline Forbes is a vampire they became friends and she helped him get through with his first transformation but he almost killed her when he was a wolf but she came back when he was back in human form. After this she became his friend then girlfriend.
When Tyler became a hybrid he started being his old self and he became very loyal to Klaus because he took the pain of transforming away. In Season 4, Tyler put his friends and family before himself and really cared about Caroline, in Memorial, he showed great sacrifice and bravery in Pastor Young's funeral when he interrupted the chant and stood on the stage to get the hunter's attention and give his friends especially Elena a chance to escape from Connor's trap. However, in Season 5 of The Vampire Diaries, and Season 1 of The Originals, the suffering Tyler has gone through, being a enslaved to Klaus and having Klaus murder his mother, has caused Tyler significant emotional pain and a dark change in his personality. He has become obsessed with vengeance, an ironic fact considering his obsession is targeted at Klaus. He is shown to have little regard for what gets in his way, going so far as to attempt to murder Hayley's unborn baby solely due to what Klaus might do with it. Also, he has shown subtle signs of being at least partially suicidal, trying to goad Klaus into killing him. Klaus believes that this is due to him losing so much, to the point where he believes he has nothing left.
In "Home" Tyler is killed by the magic free then resurrected, he is currently a untriggered werewolf again and he has now reverted back to the "old Tyler", he has already picked a fight with Luke Parker proving that he has no control of himself and that his anger is consuming him. Tyler is now attempting to take control of his anger by avoiding things that would piss him off.
In order to save his life from a fatal wound, Tyler had to once again trigger his werewolf gene which he did by killing his girlfriend, Liv, she told him that she want him to live and they only way to do that was by killing , it should be noted that Liv was already dying of the spell that links the Gemini Coven to their leader. Tyler is currently a triggered werewolf and has left town with Jeremy Gilbert to hunt Vampires
- Main article: Tyler Lockwood/Appearance
Tyler has tanned skin, short black hair and dark brown eyes. His height is between 5'7" to 5'9". Tyler has a muscular and toned body. Like all werewolves, his eyes will turn yellow when he becomes very angry. In his werewolf form, Tyler's fur is black and his eyes are yellow. In human form, Tyler often wears black jeans with a t-shirt and a jacket. On special occasions, such as parties, he wears a black suit. In Season 2, he starts wearing leather jackets. His style has matured over the course of the series, using darker colors looking much more attractive.
- "You'll have to forgive my son's rudeness, he gets that from his father."
- —Carol Lockwood in Family Ties
- "So I guess it`s just you and me now."
- —Carol to Tyler in Plan B
Tyler seems to have grown up with a distant, but somewhat positive relationship with his mother. It is only after the death of his father that Carol began to have a closer relationship with her son. When Mason Lockwood disappeared once again, Carol informed Tyler that "I guess it's just you and me now". Although he doesn't show it very well, Tyler is clearly fond of his mother, even returning to town after her accident.
- "Thank you for the best prom ever"
- —Caroline to Tyler in Pictures of You
- Main article: Tyler and Caroline
When Tyler triggered his curse, Caroline Forbes wanted to help him. Though Damon demanded her not to be his friend, she did. Tyler once asked whether she is a werewolf, Caroline laughed and said she is a vampire after a skirmish. When the first Full Moon came, Caroline helps him through the first transformation and it seems they form a special bond. The two become closer and eventually began a romantic relationship. Due to Klaus falling in love with Caroline, their relationship has become strained. Klaus promised that he will kill Tyler and Caroline pleased Klaus to let him live. Klaus told her to tell Tyler to leave town and hide which after a painful goodbye he did. They leave each vowing that they will find a way to be together again. Tyler returns in For Whom the Bell Tolls, and they break up in Monster's Ball, ending their relationship permanently.
- Tyler and Vicki (Ex-Girlfriend)
- Klaus, Caroline and Tyler (Former Love Triangle)
- Tyler and Matt (Best Friends; Roommates)
- Jeremy, Matt and Tyler (Best Friends; Roommates)
- Jeremy and Tyler (Former Enemies/Best Friends; Roommates)
- Tyler and Klaus (Enemies)
- Tyler and Hayley (Ex-Friends/Enemies)
- Elena and Tyler (Friends)
- Tyler and Olivia (Ex-Girlfriend/Loved each other)
- Tyler is a unisex name of English origin. The meaning of the name is "tile maker".
- Lockwood is of English origin and means "enclosure forest".
Behind the scenes
- The casting call was: "18 years old, athletic, cocky, attractive, and a bit of a jerk, he's an alpha male who demonstratively marks his territory (i.e. Vicki) every chance he gets, particularly in front of Jeremy. Tyler can't resist needling Matt about the fact that Elena seems to be falling for the new guy, Stefan...
- Main article: Tyler Smallwood
Tyler Smallwood is a character in The Vampire Diaries novel series. Tyler is an eighteen year old who was born and raised in the supernatural town of Fell's Church, Virginia. He is a werewolf resident within the town. Tyler is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Smallwood, as well as the cousin of Caleb Smallwood. Tyler's best friend is Dick Carter, who plays on the high school football team with him. Klaus helped him trigger his werewolf gene by assisting him in killing Sue Carson and feeding him her blood. He later had sex with, Caroline Forbes, his ex-girlfriend, which made her pregnant with a child. Though he was presumably unaware of this, he fled the town after Klaus's death. Tyler is currently in a relationship with Caroline and he is raising their twin children, Lucas and Brianne together.
- In the novels, Tyler's surname is "Smallwood" and he turns into a werewolf with the help of Klaus (Sue Carson is sacrificed in a ritual of blood). In the series, Tyler turns into a werewolf with the intervention of Katherine.
- Tyler Smallwood and Caroline were allied against Elena and Stefan. In the series, Tyler and Matt were allied against Stefan but then Matt learns to accept Stefan and approves of Stefan and his relationship with Elena. Caroline helps Tyler with the death of Sarah and the werewolf transformation.
- Tyler's family are direct descendants of the Smallwoods that were present at the founding of Fell's Church.
- Tyler Smallwood has jet black hair, pale skin, very dark eyes. He is described to be very tall (6'3"" to 6'7") with a broad, husky and muscular physique.
- Tyler Smallwood is much taller and and twice as broad then Stefan. On the show, Stefan is taller then Tyler.
- Stefan saves Elena from Tyler Smallwood sexually assaulting her. Tyler has been antagonistic towards Stefan and Elena ever since.
- One of Tyler's descendants was named Jacob Smallwood, Jacob was also a werewolf and passed on the werewolf gene after he was bitten by a wolf.
- Tyler has a cousin named Caleb Smallwood.
- Tyler Smallwood has twins (werewolves) with Caroline, but in the series, Caroline is converted into a vampire by Damon and Katherine intervention. She was not related to Tyler until the episode Masquerade.
- Tyler is one of the two antagonists of "The Awakening" and "The Struggle", eventually becomes a recurring character in "The Fury" and finally a minor antagonist of "Dark Reunion".
- Tyler Smallwood does not appear in the trilogies "The Return Series" and "The Hunters Series".
- Tyler's birthday is February 10 and his astrological sign is Aquarius.
- Out of all the main characters he has missed the most episodes the other being Jenna.
- Both in the books and series he has a relationship with Caroline.
- He didn't appear in five episodes in a row in season two, beating Bonnie, who missed four episodes in a row in season one.
- He's the only main character throughout the series as a whole, who misses the most episodes in large gaps and has the most absences, even Alaric who was introduced mid-way through season one, has appeared in more episodes than Tyler.
- In the series, it was unknown if the Lockwoods had the werewolf gene until Bad Moon Rising. But it was hinted at in The Turning Point. After the scene where Tyler hits Jeremy, he asked him "What is your problem, man?" when a full moon can be seen in the sky, explaining his aggressive behavior.
- Tyler has interacted with all the main characters, except for Jenna.
- When he was human, Tyler was the only living main character who was never bitten by a vampire.
- In The Reckoning, Tyler is turned into a hybrid, the first successful one, due to drinking a sample of doppelgänger's blood during his transition.
- Tyler is the seventh werewolf killed by a vampire or hybrid.
- Before discovering the bloodline of the main characters, the only one of the protagonists who would have died if Klaus was destroyed, would be Tyler. In the books, after Klaus' defeat, Tyler escapes and does not return to town.
- Tyler is the first main vampire/hybrid character of the series to form a sire bond to his sire (Klaus).
- Tyler is the first werewolf/hybrid character to have his venom extracted.
- After Kimberley submitted to him, all hybrids present kneel to him, acknowledging him as their Alpha.
- After Carol's death, Tyler is the fourth orphan shown in the series after Elena, Jeremy and April.
- Tyler is the only successful hybrid to be shown in wolf form, as seen in After School Special.
- Tyler has showed his wolf form more than any other werewolf/hybrid in the series.
- Tyler returns for Bonnie's funeral in For Whom the Bell Tolls and leaves again in Monster's Ball.
- Tyler was the only main TVD character for Season Five to appear on The Originals. He appears for a total of 2 episodes.
- Tyler gained information that he used to back-stab Klaus.
- Tyler was imprisoned in The Garden, for attempting to kill Hope Mikaelson. But he was released and sent to Mystic Falls as a gift to Matt, from Rebekah.
- Tyler returns to Mystic Falls in 500 Years of Solitude.
- Tyler becomes the first hybrid to be bitten and fed on by a vampire in Gone Girl.
- In No Exit, Nadia fights both Caroline and Tyler. Nadia escapes but is infected by the hybrid bite from her scuffle with Tyler.
- In Gone Girl, Katherine gets Wes to help Nadia who is dying from Tyler's hybrid bite. Assuming that he will be able to cure her.
- In Gone Girl, Damon lured Tyler in to feed on him and escape.
- In Resident Evil, he is possessed by Julian.
- Tyler is the first Passenger host who successfully resisted being taken over by the Passenger possessing him after hearing the summoning word. He did it by transforming at least partially to wolf form.
- Tyler is the only hybrid to have defeated and killed a vampire much older than himself in 2 different scenarios; first he was responsible for Nadia Petrova's death when he bit her in No Exit, and in the second instance he killed Stefan via heart extraction in Promised Land, but he was also possessed by Julian at the time when he killed Stefan.
- Although Tyler can be excused for killing Stefan as he was possessed by Julian at the time. Therefore, he cannot be held accountable for his actions.
- After being stripped of his vampirism in the Mystic Falls no magic zone before death, Tyler is now resurrected as a untriggered werewolf.
- Tyler is the first Hybrid to be cured of his vampirism not through the cure.
- Tyler is currently an triggered werewolf again.
- Season 6 is the first time since Season 1 that Tyler will be neither a Werewolf or a Hybrid.
- Tyler is the first main character to miss a season premiere (Season 5), although his voice was heard.
- At the end of Season Six, Tyler leaves Mystic Falls for good and goes with Jeremy to hunt vampires, according to Caroline Dries.
- Abusive Parents - Richard Lockwood
- And I Must Scream - Before being turned into a hybrid by Klaus, Tyler had to change into a werewolf each full moon after triggering the curse. The process initially took hours to complete its excruciating transition. Also can be said for what he needed to do to break the sire bond to Klaus.
- He is introduced as a Jerk Jock, with a VERY short temper.
- Freudian Excuse: On season 1 we believe his behavior is due to his very aggressive father.
- But in season 2 we learn it's because of Lycanthropy - He is a latent Werewolf.
- Like many Involuntary Shapeshifters , his transformation into werewolf are VERY PAINFUL.
- Mr Fanservice - winds up naked after transforming back from werewolf. Unlike Hulk he does not have Magic Pants.
- By the end of Season 2 he has morphed into a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- In We'll Always Have Bourbon Street, when all the hybrids submit to him as their Alpha, it was his Awesome Moment of Crowning.
- By coincidence, that was also his Crowning Moment of Awesome!