|This article is about Tyler Lockwood from the Shows. You may be looking for Tyler Smallwood from the novels.|
|“||I triggered my curse. Tell every vampire to steer clear of me. I don't know if I'll be able to control who I go after, and my bite will kill them.||”|
Tyler Lockwood is a former main character and a former hybrid who played for the football team at Mystic Falls High School. He is a werewolf and he became the first successful hybrid of Klaus's bloodline. After he was resurrected in Home, he was reborn as an untriggered werewolf due to the effects of the Magic Purification Spell. He was an untriggered werewolf after his death and resurrection in Home. Later in I'm Thinking Of You All The While, he mercy-killed the already-dying Liv to re-trigger his werewolf curse so he could heal and save his life.
He is the son of Richard Lockwood and Carol Lockwood, and the nephew of Mason Lockwood who is also a werewolf. He was initially portrayed to be arrogant, selfish and a bully. But after triggering the family curse which turned him into a werewolf, he has learned to tone his behavior down. Before this revelation, he was referred to many times as a "dick," by both his best friend; Matt Donovan and Jeremy Gilbert. He is shown to have an athletic build, and great strength as a human. He also has a short temper and becomes angry very easily. He didn't understand why he behaved the way he did, at least until Mason came to visit after Richard Lockwood's death.
Initially after becoming a hybrid, he was extremely grateful to Klaus for taking away his pain of turning every month. However, he soon becomes angered at the prospect of being sired to him after he bites his girlfriend, Caroline Forbes. He manages to break the sire bond and continued to help other hybrids break the curse of being sired. This came at a price once Klaus found out about his actions, as Klaus murdered his mother and last remaining family member. Since then, he swore revenge on Klaus for his actions.
He had an on-and-off relationship with Vicki Donovan until her death and after he triggered his werewolf curse, starts to fall for Caroline after she helps him on a Full Moon, despite her relationship with his best friend, Matt, at the time. His relationship with Caroline has gone through the rocks over the series yet it fell apart after he chose to avenge his mother in favor of staying in college and being with her.
After a failed attempt to kill Klaus and Hayley's child, he was imprisoned in The Garden until released by Rebekah as a "parting gift" to Matt and in 500 Years of Solitude returns to Mystic Falls. He later grew suspicious about the relationship between Nadia Petrova and Matt, leading to the discovery that Katherine was, in fact, inhabiting Elena's body without anybody realizing.
In Man on Fire, Tyler became possessed by Julian, a Traveler, in the same manner as Matt and Elena were possessed by Gregor and Katherine, respectively. His control over his own later resurfaces without the Travelers realizing, allowing Tyler to uncover what they were planning: the eradication of spirit magic and everything that witches ever created through it. He ultimately escaped and quickly relayed what he learned to his friends. After the Travelers used the Body Sealing Spell on Tyler, Julian got permanent control of Tyler's body and due to Markos destroying the Traveler's Knife that was needed to remove Passengers, Julian could not be banished. Later, Julian was captured by the Travelers and they brought Julian to Mystic Falls, where they had cast the Magic Purification Spell, which can undo any non-traditional magic, including the magic that created vampirism. As a result, when Julian was forced to enter Mystic Falls in Tyler's body, Tyler's vampirism and activated lycanthropy were both stripped away before Tyler and Julian both died, as vampirism was what was keeping them alive.
Tyler, ended up on the Other Side, but thanks to Bonnie's sacrifice and Liv's magic, he was able to be resurrected and rejoin his loved ones in the living world. Shortly after he returned, he discovered that he was no longer a hybrid due to the . At the beginning of the sixth season, Tyler is seen struggling to control his renewed anger issues due to his return to being a human with a werewolf gene, and desperately wanted to prevent himself from triggering his curse once again. He ultimately reactivated his curse, despite his best efforts to avoid it, when a dying Liv begged him to kill her and save himself in I'm Thinking Of You All The While. While he was saying his goodbyes to Elena, she encouraged him to leave Mystic Falls and do whatever it is that he wants to do, insisting that he embrace his lycanthropy and let it be what makes him extraordinary, indicating that Tyler would be leaving town.
Tyler is a member of the Lockwood Family.
Tyler was born to Mayor Richard Lockwood and Carol Lockwood on February 10, 1992 in Mystic Falls, Virginia. After discovering that the werewolf gene runs through his family, Tyler was scared to become a werewolf himself and his fears became true when he accidentally killed Sarah and triggered the curse. Caroline Forbes, a vampire who wasn't his friend, offered her support to him, helping him through his first transformation and preparation for his new life. Tyler eventually fell for Caroline, but questioned their relationship when Jules, another werewolf and Mason's friend, told him that Caroline and two other vampires, Stefan and Damon Salvatore, killed Mason. Finding out that this was true, Tyler felt betrayed and leaned towards the werewolf brethren. He hesitated to help Caroline when she and the Salvatore's were at the brink of death, which hurt her, causing her to cut off their friendship. He was the one who revealed Mason's plan to break the curse to Jules and her boyfriend Brady. He then helps them find the moonstone and the doppelgänger. Stefan reveals to Tyler that Jules and Brady had lied to him and that Elena would die in the ritual to break the curse. He releases Stefan who kills Brady before he can capture Elena during which time the rest of the pack is killed by Elijah. He then decides to leave town with Jules, the only survivor, with a promise that she wouldn't lie to him anymore. After receiving a phone call from his mother telling him that she had an accident and was in the hospital, Tyler and Jules returned to Mystic Falls. They were both captured by Maddox and Greta Martin, witches working for Klaus, and were to be used in the sacrifice that would make Klaus a vampire/werewolf hybrid. Tyler and Caroline, who had also been captured for the sacrifice ritual, were rescued by Damon, who was later bitten by Tyler during his transformation. Tyler and Caroline eventually start a relationship, which becomes rocky when he becomes Klaus's first successful hybrid. His life is made much easier when his transformations cease to happen unwillingly and Tyler becomes very respectful of Klaus, trying to sabotage his friends' plots against him, which is later revealed to be due to a sire bond.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
Tyler was Vicki Donovan's ex-boyfriend. He didn't treat her well, and he seemed to feel bad about it, especially since he can never make it up to her now that she's dead. He had a rivalry with Jeremy Gilbert because of Vicki, but they have gotten over their differences and currently don't hate each other.
He was friends with Matt Donovan, but it wasn't a close friendship and now Matt hates Tyler because of what happened between him and Matt's mom. At the Founder's Day Kick-Off Party, Tyler met Matt's mother, Kelly Donovan, and they started talking and made out. When Matt saw this, he was furious and Matt and Tyler got into a fist-fight. His father was also very angry and told him that he'll never disgrace his family again. However, in season two, Tyler and Matt are shown to have became friends again.
Before Founder's Day, the existence of werewolves and him being one was unknown, although there were small hints to him being a werewolf. His werewolf eyes were first seen in this episode. He was driving with Matt, taking Caroline home. When the strange device that hurts vampires was activated he started to drive recklessly and crashed his dad's car. His eyes turn yellow when he was getting checked and were only seen by the paramedic when Tyler was unconscious. Afterwards someone found Caroline unconscious from the injuries and she was taken to the hospital, where both Matt and Tyler were waiting to find out the results of her surgery. Her mother Elizabeth Forbes came and asked him to call his mother, then informed him that his father was dead.
Season OneBloodletting, Tyler traveled to New Orleans after hearing from witches about Klaus and Hayley's unborn child and the horror that it may bring with its birth. He abducted Hayley, despite once having been friends with her. He kidnaps Hayley in order to test a theory he had about her baby. He brought Hayley to her ancestral werewolf clan's current home and with the help of a werewolf named Dwayne, kept her there. He took some of her blood, which she shared with her baby and injected Dwayne with it before killing him. He believed that her unborn child's blood would be able to sire more hybrids and that it must be the reason why Klaus would even remotely care about protecting her or the baby. When the test worked and Dwayne became a hybrid, Tyler, having seen Klaus' plans for hybrids firsthand, knew that he had to get rid of Hayley and the baby before Klaus got a chance to cause anymore harm. Hayley resisted, though, and unknown to Tyler, the baby's blood actually made Dwayne sired to her rather than Klaus. Dwayne protected Hayley, giving her a chance to get away before Tyler ripped out his heart. Klaus caught up with him in the woods, surprised at how vicious Tyler had become. Tyler was still seeking Marcel, not deterred by the defeat from his quest for vengeance. He told Marcel that Hayley was pregnant with Klaus' child and the threat that it posed to all vampires.
In The River in Reverse, Tyler gets his neck snapped and is thrown into The Garden by Marcel and Rebekah after he makes it known that he's willing to kill a harmless baby. Rebekah released Tyler from the Garden between Après Moi, Le Déluge and Dance Back from the Grave.
In the beginning of series, Tyler had a very aggressive, arrogant and selfish personality. He showed this many times for example when he had fights with Jeremy Gilbert over his girlfriend Vicki Donovan. Tyler behaved like this because of his werewolf gene. In Season 2, when his uncle Mason came to town, he learned how to control his anger and tone down his behavior. But after discovering that his family carried the werewolf gene, Tyler was scared to become a werewolf himself.
His fears came true when he accidentally killed Sarah and triggered the curse. Tyler felt guilty for killing Sarah and when he discovered Caroline Forbes is a vampire they became friends and she helped him get through with his first transformation but he almost killed her when he was a wolf but she came back when he was back in human form. After this she became his friend then girlfriend.
When Tyler became a hybrid he started being his old self and he became very loyal to Klaus because he took the pain of transforming away. In Season 4, Tyler put his friends and family before himself and really cared about Caroline, in Memorial, he showed great sacrifice and bravery in Pastor Young's funeral when he interrupted the chant and stood on the stage to get the hunter's attention and give his friends especially Elena a chance to escape from Connor's trap. However, in Season 5 of The Vampire Diaries, and Season 1 of The Originals, the suffering Tyler has gone through, being a enslaved to Klaus and having Klaus murder his mother, has caused Tyler significant emotional pain and a dark change in his personality. He has become obsessed with vengeance, an ironic fact considering his obsession is targeted at Klaus. He is shown to have little regard for what gets in his way, going so far as to attempt to murder Hayley's unborn baby solely due to what Klaus might do with it. Also, he has shown subtle signs of being at least partially suicidal, trying to goad Klaus into killing him. Klaus believes that this is due to him losing so much, to the point where he believes he has nothing left.
In "Home" Tyler is killed by the magic free then resurrected, he is currently a untriggered werewolf again and he has now reverted back to the "old Tyler", he has already picked a fight with Luke Parker proving that he has no control of himself and that his anger is consuming him. Tyler is now attempting to take control of his anger by avoiding things that would piss him off.
In order to save his life from a fatal wound, Tyler had to once again trigger his werewolf gene which he did by killing his girlfriend, Liv, she told him that she want him to live and they only way to do that was by killing , it should be noted that Liv was already dying of the spell that links the Gemini Coven to their leader. Tyler is currently a triggered werewolf and has left town with Jeremy Gilbert to hunt Vampires.
- Main article: Tyler Lockwood/Appearance
Tyler has tanned skin, short black hair and dark brown eyes. His height is between 5'7" to 5'9". Tyler has a muscular and toned body. Like all werewolves, his eyes will turn yellow when he becomes very angry. In his werewolf form, Tyler's fur is black and his eyes are yellow. In human form, Tyler often wears black jeans with a t-shirt and a jacket. On special occasions, such as parties, he wears a black suit. In Season 2, he starts wearing leather jackets. His style has matured over the course of the series, using darker colors looking much more attractive.
- "You'll have to forgive my son's rudeness, he gets that from his father."
- —Carol Lockwood in Family Ties
- "So I guess it`s just you and me now."
- —Carol to Tyler in Plan B
Tyler seems to have grown up with a distant, but somewhat positive relationship with his mother. It is only after the death of his father that Carol began to have a closer relationship with her son. When Mason Lockwood disappeared once again, Carol informed Tyler that "I guess it's just you and me now". Although he doesn't show it very well, Tyler is clearly fond of his mother, even returning to town after her accident.
- "Thank you for the best prom ever"
- —Caroline to Tyler in Pictures of You
- Main article: Tyler and Caroline
When Tyler triggered his curse, Caroline Forbes wanted to help him. Though Damon demanded her not to be his friend, she did. Tyler once asked whether she is a werewolf, Caroline laughed and said she is a vampire after a skirmish. When the first Full Moon came, Caroline helps him through the first transformation and it seems they form a special bond. The two become closer and eventually began a romantic relationship. Due to Klaus falling in love with Caroline, their relationship has become strained. Klaus promised that he will kill Tyler and Caroline pleased Klaus to let him live. Klaus told her to tell Tyler to leave town and hide which after a painful goodbye he did. They leave each vowing that they will find a way to be together again. Tyler returns in For Whom the Bell Tolls, and they break up in Monster's Ball, ending their relationship permanently.
- Mason and Tyler (Uncle/Nephew/Former Allies/Ended; Mason died)
- Jules and Tyler (Friends/Former Allies/Ended; she died)
- Tyler and Vicki (Ex-Girlfriend)
- Klaus, Caroline and Tyler (Former Love Triangle)
- Tyler and Matt (Best Friends; Roommates)
- Jeremy, Matt and Tyler (Best Friends; Roommates)
- Jeremy and Tyler (Former Enemies/Best Friends; Roommates)
- Tyler and Klaus (Enemies/Nemesis's)
- Tyler and Hayley (Ex-Friends/Enemies)
- Elena and Tyler (Friends)
- Tyler and Olivia (Ex-Girlfriend/Loved each other)
- Tyler is a unisex name of English origin. The meaning of the name is "tile maker".
- Lockwood is of English origin and means "enclosure forest".
Behind the scenes
- The casting call was: "18 years old, athletic, cocky, attractive, and a bit of a jerk, he's an alpha male who demonstratively marks his territory (i.e. Vicki) every chance he gets, particularly in front of Jeremy. Tyler can't resist needling Matt about the fact that Elena seems to be falling for the new guy, Stefan...
- Main article: Tyler Smallwood
Tyler Smallwood is a character in The Vampire Diaries novel series. Tyler is an eighteen year old who was born and raised in the supernatural town of Fell's Church, Virginia. He is a werewolf resident within the town. Tyler is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Smallwood, as well as the cousin of Caleb Smallwood. Tyler's best friend is Dick Carter, who plays on the high school football team with him. Klaus helped him trigger his werewolf gene by assisting him in killing Sue Carson and feeding him her blood. He later had sex with, Caroline Forbes, his ex-girlfriend, which made her pregnant with a child. Though he was presumably unaware of this, he fled the town after Klaus's death. Tyler is currently in a relationship with Caroline and he is raising their twin children, Lucas and Brianne together.
- In the novels, Tyler's surname is "Smallwood" and he turns into a werewolf with the help of Klaus (Sue Carson is sacrificed in a ritual of blood). In the series, Tyler turns into a werewolf with the intervention of Katherine.
- Tyler Smallwood and Caroline were allied against Elena and Stefan. In the series, Tyler and Matt were allied against Stefan but then Matt learns to accept Stefan and approves of Stefan and his relationship with Elena. Caroline helps Tyler with the death of Sarah and the werewolf transformation.
- Tyler's family are direct descendants of the Smallwoods that were present at the founding of Fell's Church.
- Tyler Smallwood has jet black hair, pale skin, very dark eyes. He is described to be very tall (6'3"" to 6'7") with a broad, husky and muscular physique.
- Tyler Smallwood is much taller and and twice as broad then Stefan. On the show, Stefan is taller then Tyler.
- Stefan saves Elena from Tyler Smallwood sexually assaulting her. Tyler has been antagonistic towards Stefan and Elena ever since.
- One of Tyler's descendants was named Jacob Smallwood, Jacob was also a werewolf and passed on the werewolf gene after he was bitten by a wolf.
- Tyler has a cousin named Caleb Smallwood.
- Tyler Smallwood has twins (werewolves) with Caroline, but in the series, Caroline is converted into a vampire by Damon and Katherine intervention. She was not related to Tyler until the episode Masquerade.
- Tyler is one of the two antagonists of "The Awakening" and "The Struggle", eventually becomes a recurring character in "The Fury" and finally a minor antagonist of "Dark Reunion".
- Tyler Smallwood does not appear in the trilogies "The Return Series" and "The Hunters Series".
- Tyler's birthday is February 10 and his astrological sign is Aquarius.
- Out of all the main characters he has missed the most episodes the other being Jenna.
- Both in the books and series he has a relationship with Caroline.
- He didn't appear in five episodes in a row in season two, beating Bonnie, who missed four episodes in a row in season one.
- He's the only main character throughout the series as a whole, who misses the most episodes in large gaps and has the most absences, even Alaric who was introduced mid-way through season one, has appeared in more episodes than Tyler.
- In the series, it was unknown if the Lockwoods had the werewolf gene until Bad Moon Rising. But it was hinted at in The Turning Point. After the scene where Tyler hits Jeremy, he asked him "What is your problem, man?" when a full moon can be seen in the sky, explaining his aggressive behavior.
- Tyler has interacted with all the main characters, except for Jenna.
- When he was human, Tyler was the only living main character who was never bitten by a vampire.
- In The Reckoning, Tyler is turned into a hybrid, the first successful one, due to drinking a sample of doppelgänger's blood during his transition.
- Tyler is the seventh werewolf killed by a vampire or hybrid.
- Before discovering the bloodline of the main characters, the only one of the protagonists who would have died if Klaus was destroyed, would be Tyler. In the books, after Klaus' defeat, Tyler escapes and does not return to town.
- Tyler is the first main vampire/hybrid character of the series to form a sire bond to his sire (Klaus).
- Tyler is the first werewolf/hybrid character to have his venom extracted.
- After Kimberley submitted to him, all hybrids present kneel to him, acknowledging him as their Alpha.
- After Carol's death, Tyler is the fourth orphan shown in the series after Elena, Jeremy and April.
- Tyler is the only successful hybrid to be shown in wolf form, as seen in After School Special.
- Tyler has showed his wolf form more than any other werewolf/hybrid in the series.
- Tyler returns for Bonnie's funeral in For Whom the Bell Tolls and leaves again in Monster's Ball.
- Tyler was the only main TVD character for Season Five to appear on The Originals. He appears for a total of 2 episodes.
- Tyler gained information that he used to back-stab Klaus.
- Tyler was imprisoned in The Garden, for attempting to kill Hope Mikaelson. But he was released and sent to Mystic Falls as a gift to Matt, from Rebekah.
- Tyler returns to Mystic Falls in 500 Years of Solitude.
- Tyler becomes the first hybrid to be bitten and fed on by a vampire in Gone Girl.
- In No Exit, Nadia fights both Caroline and Tyler. Nadia escapes but is infected by the hybrid bite from her scuffle with Tyler.
- In Gone Girl, Katherine gets Wes to help Nadia who is dying from Tyler's hybrid bite. Assuming that he will be able to cure her.
- In Gone Girl, Damon lured Tyler in to feed on him and escape.
- In Resident Evil, he is possessed by Julian.
- Tyler is the first Passenger host who successfully resisted being taken over by the Passenger possessing him after hearing the summoning word. He did it by transforming at least partially to wolf form.
- Tyler is the only hybrid to have defeated and killed a vampire much older than himself in 2 different scenarios; first he was responsible for Nadia Petrova's death when he bit her in No Exit, and in the second instance he killed Stefan via heart extraction in Promised Land, but he was also possessed by Julian at the time when he killed Stefan.
- Although Tyler can be excused for killing Stefan as he was possessed by Julian at the time. Therefore, he cannot be held accountable for his actions.
- After being stripped of his vampirism in the Mystic Falls no magic zone before death, Tyler is now resurrected as an untriggered werewolf.
- Tyler is the first Hybrid to be cured of his vampirism not through the cure.
- Tyler is currently an triggered werewolf again.
- Season 6 is the first time since Season 1 that Tyler will be neither a Werewolf or a Hybrid.
- Tyler is the first main character to miss a season premiere (Season 5), although his voice was heard.
- At the end of Season Six, Tyler leaves Mystic Falls for good and goes with Jeremy to hunt vampires, according to Caroline Dries.
- Abusive Parents - Richard Lockwood
- And I Must Scream - Before being turned into a hybrid by Klaus, Tyler had to change into a werewolf each full moon after triggering the curse. The process initially took hours to complete its excruciating transition. Also can be said for what he needed to do to break the sire bond to Klaus.
- He is introduced as a Jerk Jock, with a VERY short temper.
- Freudian Excuse: On season 1 we believe his behavior is due to his very aggressive father.
- But in season 2 we learn it's because of Lycanthropy - He is a latent Werewolf.
- Like many Involuntary Shapeshifters , his transformation into werewolf are VERY PAINFUL.
- Mr Fanservice - winds up naked after transforming back from werewolf. Unlike Hulk he does not have Magic Pants.
- By the end of Season 2 he has morphed into a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- In We'll Always Have Bourbon Street, when all the hybrids submit to him as their Alpha, it was his Awesome Moment of Crowning.
- By coincidence, that was also his Crowning Moment of Awesome!