|“||You know, I'm almost grateful for those hundred-odd years I spent compelled to be you. It taught me so much... But nothing more important than how to not be you. Where you betray, I remain loyal. Where you abandon, I remain. And, should you find a knight or two in shining armor still foolish enough to fight for you... They will die right alongside you.||”|
Tristan de Martel is a recurring character and an antagonist in the third season of The Originals. He is the brother of Aurora de Martel and the son of the Count de Martel. He is the first vampire ever turned by Elijah Mikaelson, one of the Trinity, and the former leader of the Strix. He is, currently, trapped inside a container at the bottom of the ocean.
Tristan is a member of the De Martel Family.
Tristan is the son of Count de Martel and lived in his castle with his sister, Aurora. In the year 1002, he and his family met the Mikaelson siblings when they, aided by Lucien, pretended to be the wealthy children of a friend of the Count's.
Later that year, when Aurora was secretly meeting with one of the Original Vampires, Niklaus Mikaelson, Tristan caught her with their servant Lucien, who had always loved Aurora and had discovered her affair with Klaus. Tristan, believing that it was Lucien whom Aurora was having the affair with, ordered the guards to take him.Tristan tortured Lucien in the dungeons when Klaus and his brother Elijah attempted to stop him. Tristan revealed that he learned the truth about them from a woman who had survived an attack from their brother, Kol. He threatened that he would expose them if they did anything to him and then pulled out a dagger, slashing Lucien across the mouth, scarring him. After the torture, Tristan spoke to Aurora but was attacked by a healed Lucien, who, unknown to him, had been healed by Klaus's blood. One of the guards stabbed Lucien in the back, killing him, though it would not last as Lucien had begun his transition into the first sired vampire.
Tristan was turned into a vampire by Elijah in the year 1002, and he, along with Lucien and Aurora, were compelled in believe that they were the Mikaelson siblings, and were used as a diversion for Mikael to hunt while his children escaped to Tuscany. However, in the year 1114, they were released from the compulsion via the daggering of Elijah by the Brotherhood of the Five. Enraged, the three swore an oath of their own; an oath of vengeance against the family that had ruined their lives.After Elijah had created The Strix, in hopes of a building a better future for the world, he was forced to flee from the society when Mikael came for him. Tristan arrived in the aftermath of the attack and took command the of The Strix, forging them into a violent secret society responsible for conducting world events from behind the scenes.
Throughout The Originals Series
Lucien once described Tristan as having a wicked personality. This is later proven by his vicious punishment of Lucien after he thought he caught the servant and his sister together, for no apparent reason.
Tristan possesses a very stoic personality, rarely showing surprise or fear, and when he does, it is very muted. His expression barely changed when Klaus had him in a chokehold, and he responded by revealing that he knew what they were and that they were running. Likewise, he showed only the briefest moment of surprise at Lucien coming for him, completely healed. According to Klaus, he is very arrogant.
Tristan is both charming and worldly, a man born into such wealth and power that he carries with him the cool assurance of his own superiority. With those he loves, he can be equal parts warm and caring, obsessive and co-dependent. But with his enemies, he is cruel and completely merciless. Tristan is very elitist, only associating with those he deems as "true equals" like the members of the Strix.
He has an unhealthy obsession with his sister. He is commanding, elegant, educated aristocrat who can be diabolically vicious. He is very vindictive as when he had Hayley and Jackson captured, he ripped out Jackson's heart in front of Hayley to break her heart. Tristan did this in a sadistic way because of how Hayley tortured him. He can be rather cruel as he taunted Jackson before he killed him when Tristan overheard Jackson professing his love to Hayley, calling it "Darling" and "Pathetic" to Jackson. He took great pleasure in the taunting and execution in front of Hayley, showing he truly is merciless, petty, vindictive, and rather cruel to his enemies or others who insult him.
Tristan is a man of average build with dirty blonde hair. He dresses well, in suits and ties, in a similar manner to his sire.
Powers and Abilities
Tristan possesses all the standard powers and abilities of a non-original vampire. But being over a thousand years old, he is one of the strongest non-original vampires in existence, second only to the Original Vampires.
Tristan has been shown to be a skilled swordsman while sparring with his sister Aurora.
Being the youngest vampire of the Trinity, he is amazingly powerful with only the Original Vampires, Aurora, and Lucien surpassing/rivaling his strength and speed.
Through unknown means, Aurora claims that she, Lucien, and Tristan cannot be easily compelled anymore.
Tristan has the typical weaknesses of a non-original vampire.
- Aurora and Tristan (Siblings/Allies)
- Finn and Tristan (Former Acquaintances)
- Lucien and Tristan (Allies/Former Enemies)
- Tristan and Aya (Boss/Employee/Allies)
- Elijah and Tristan (Enemies/Former Allies/Elijah turned him)
- Hayley and Tristan (Enemies)
- Vincent and Tristan (Enemies)
- Tristan and Jackson (Enemies/Tristan killed him)
- For the Next Millennium (Flashback)
- You Hung the Moon
- I'll See You in Hell or New Orleans
- A Walk on the Wild Side
- The Axeman's Letter
- Beautiful Mistake (Mentioned)
- Out of the Easy
- The Other Girl in New Orleans
- A Ghost Along the Mississippi
- Wild at Heart (Mentioned)
- Dead Angels (Flashback)
- Heart Shaped Box (Mentioned)
- A Streetcar Named Desire
- The Devil Comes Here and Sighs (Mentioned)
- Where Nothing Stays Buried (Mentioned)
- Tristan is a given name of Welsh origin. It originates from the Brythonic name Drust or Drustanus. It derives from a stem meaning "noise", seen in the modern Welsh noun trwst (plural trystau) and the verb trystio "to clatter".
- de Martel is one of Britain and France's most famous and historic surnames. It derives from the French word "martel" meaning "hammer".
- He is the oldest vampire of Elijah's sireline.
- In A Walk on the Wild Side, Had Marcel ever failed the initiation test, Tristan And Other Strix members would have mostly gotten killed by Elijah Mikaelson to protect Marcel.
- Tristan is bisexual, and the writers were going to explore it, but his current drive left little time for romance.   
- Tristan's name is similar to the Game of Thrones' character Trystane Martell.
- Tristan is a handsome and mysterious vampire who has a long and complicated history with the Originals. Both charming and worldly, a man born into such wealth and power that he carries with him the cool assurance of his own superiority. With those he loves, he can be equal parts warm and caring, obsessive and co-dependent. But with his enemies, he is cruel and completely merciless.
- Tristan has many similarities to his sire, Elijah, including his sense of style, his preference for killing his enemies by extracting their hearts, and that he carries a handkerchief in order to clean up any blood that stains his hands.
- Being compelled to believe he was Elijah for a century may have permanently altered his personality to be similar to Elijah's.
- He is skilled in swordplay.
- Tristan's devotion to his sister, Aurora de Martel is described as 'absolutely pathological' and 'dangerous' by Elijah.
- In A Walk on the Wild Side, Elijah mentions to Hayley that how he and Tristan made each other.
- Tristan is the youngest member of The Trinity as Lucien and Aurora were both turned before him.
- In the 11th century Elijah compelled Tristan to believe that he was Elijah and then told him to run in the fear of Mikael along with Aurora and Lucien who believed they were Rebekah and Niklaus respectively.
- Tristan, Aurora and Lucien swore vengeance against the Mikaelson family and spend centuries looking for weapons that would kill them until the truth about the sirelines were revealed, thus forcing them to incapacitate the Originals instead so they wouldn't die themselves.
- Tristan considers Finn Mikaelson, to be the noblest of all The Originals. He also considered Finn to be his friend a thousand years ago.
- Despite Finn's hatred for all vampires, and his desire to see his family dead, Tristan believes that Finn would align with him to seal The Originals away.
- After his plan to use The Serratura backfired, Tristan is now trapped in a storage container for eternity at the bottom of the sea, to drown over and over again for all time.
- His fate is similar to what Stefan's was at the end of Season 4 of The Vampire Diaries, when Silas revealed he was awake and locked Stefan in the safe and dropped it into the quarry, which was Stefan's plan for Silas. Both shows are similar in that, namely an immortal, ended up being trapped at the bottom of a body of water and forced to drown over and over again due a plan that backfired.
- He can play the violin.