WILLPOWER — After learning that someone from Stefan's past may be Damon and Enzo's next target, Stefan, Bonnie and Caroline head to North Carolina. There, Bonnie takes drastic measures in an attempt to break Enzo free of whatever has a hold over him. At the Armory, Alaric and Georgie stumble upon a mysterious symbol that may be related to the supernatural force controlling Damon and Enzo. Finally, Caroline gets an unexpected surprise from Stefan.
- Antagonist: Sybil.
- The episode title could also refer to Sybil altering Damon's memories of him and Elena by replacing Elena with herself.
- Bonnie learns about Sarah in this episode.
- Sybil is revealed to be unable to get inside the minds of Damon and Enzo, however that changes by the end of this episode.
- Damon's way to resist Sybil was to go to his memories of Elena and him. Sybil finds out about Elena because of Stefan. Sybil then replaces Elena in all his memories making him believe that she's the love of his life, not Elena.
- She also finds out about Bonnie by finally getting inside Enzo's mind.
- Sybil kills Sarah, the last living blood relative of Stefan and Damon, leaving them as the only remaining members of the Salvatore family.
- Stefan proposes to Caroline using her full name. It revealed her middle name is Elizabeth, which means that her middle name is named after her mother's first name.
- Businessman - Drowned; killed by Sybil
- Sarah Nelson - Stabbed; killed by Sybil
- Girl - Drowned or Drained of Blood; killed by Sybil and Damon Salvatore
Behind the Scenes
- "Today will be different" is Elena's first line while writing in her diary in Pilot.
- With 900,000 viewers, this is the least watched episode of the show.
- Hashtag during the airing is #TodayWillBeDifferent
- Sybil: "It's time for fun."
- Sybil: "Where does your subconscious go when you try to resist me?"
- Sybil: "Why is he always napping? Me? I love keeping my new eyes open. After you spend a couple hundreds of years with little shriveled up eyes sockets underneath where your eyebrows used to be you take extra pleasure in using all the parts of your body. And you are even more disappointing. I’ve had no luck getting into your head not since the day we met."
- Enzo: "And on that day, I was unprepared for your attack, now I am prepared. Anyway I don’t know why you’re complaining, my freewill is at rock bottom. I do almost everything you say, even when I don’t want too."
- Sybil: "It’s the almost part of that sentence that vexes me. Come here! Come on, just a peek."
- Damon: "Twenty Questions..."
- Enzo: "Go"
- Damon: "So I thinking of a person, reasonably good looking, charming accent, who would be the most amazing wingman if he'd just got rid of his martyr complex."
- Enzo: "That's not how you play twenty questions. Regardless, your answer is either Jesus Christ or me."
- Damon: "Got it on the second try. Why are you resisting instruction?"
- Enzo: "I'm not resisting anything. I'm here, stalking Sarah Nelson, with you, as instructed. What in this tabloid reads me resisting?"
- Damon: "Oh yeah, you here but you're distracted. You're not having any fun, Enzo."
- Enzo: "You're impossibly needy."
- Damon: "No, I'm highly engaged and I want you to be like me. Come on man, we finally got a cushy assignment for once, I mean chasing unsuspecting women that happen to share the same name. Why can't you enjoy the change of pace."
- Enzo: "Because I'm wondering what the boss lady is up too? Why is she suddenly pushing the pause button on her mysterious master plan."
- Damon: "Easy, she has a new priority. Giving you a spanking. You put her in a mood, now she wants you to flip your switch. Why did you have to go an piss her off?"
- Enzo: "How are you so afraid of her without your emotions?"
- Damon: "No so much I'm afraid of her, I'm afraid of that eternal damnation preview she gave me when she got into my head."
- Enzo: "That's mind games, none of it is real."
- Damon: "I disagree with all of your opinions. Ah there she is."