|“|| Damon: Bonnie, get out of here.|
Bonnie: I'm not gonna make it, but you are.
— Damon & Bonnie, before she sends him away from Prison World
Homecoming is just around the corner, so Elena invites Liam to attend a party at the corn maze with her. Instead of attending the homecoming festivities, Caroline is preoccupied after Stefan shows up unexpectedly and needs her help cleaning up a mess created by Enzo. Heeding Elena’s advice to be more social, Alaric reluctantly attends the party but a devastating accident quickly leaves him and Jo rushing to save lives. Elsewhere, Tyler finds himself in a dangerous position when his werewolf curse is put to the test, and an emotionally embattled Stefan comes clean to Caroline about his intent to move on from Mystic Falls. Lastly, Damon and Bonnie make an important discovery that affects their quest to get back home.
|Tripp calls Stefan and tells him he hasn't killed Enzo yet. When asked why, he says he will once Enzo gives up the names of all the vampires he knows. Stefan's surprised to hear the Enzo hasn't told Tripp about anyone (including him) yet and that Tripp's trying to do everything to make him talk. He gets off the phone and hears things breaking outside. He calls Ivy's name and sees her in the bridge. She tells him that she killed Dean when he was burying her. She gets angry at him for hiding things from her and blames him for her turning into a vampire. He snaps her neck, puts her in a suitcase and takes her to Caroline. He asks her to watch him while Luke makes her a daylight ring. He says she's the only one who can take care of her.
Alaric is teaching his class about the history of homecoming and indirectly talks about Damon. He tells Elena at the end 'Damon might be gone but I can still find pleasure in judging his life choices'. He also asks her if she's changed her mind about Alaric compelling to which she replies no. She asks him to come to a the party. Liam bumps into Elena and she asks him to come to the corn maze with him.
Bonnie and Damon are together. He says he's happy he'll be able to go home today, Bonnie tells him it could be a lie especially because she hasn't been shown the spell yet. Kai appears and says the Eclipse will happen in alignment to the Gemini constellation. He asks Damon to dig a tunnel underground. He tells them that the light of the eclipse will shine down onto the ascendant, Bonnie will say the spell and they'll go home. Bonnie becomes suspicious and asks him to tell her the spell which he avoids by saying 'when the time is right' and goes to get 'important supplies.
Ivy wears Caroline's dress, this irritates Caroline while she thinks about Stefan 'using her'. Caroline won't take Ivy to the party, she gets annoyed because she thinks she already knows everything now. She asks her to play board games instead. Caroline turns around to get some while Ivy snaps her neck and leaves.
At the party, a girl screams, completing the corn maze at the party.
Caroline leaves voicemails for Stefan telling him that Ivy is missing and it's his responsibility.
Stefan comes to see Alaric, whose alone at the college, with the daylight ring. Alaric isn't happy to see him. Stefan tells him that Enzo turned Ivy into a vampire and he needs him to compel her to leave him. He refuses, saying that it's his responsibility and he can't compel and it's not that easy. Stefan says it was when he compelled Elena to forget Damon. Alaric says he forget him first. He threatens him to leave before he 'compels him to be the guy he used to know instead.
Ivy shows up behind an unnamed person and drinks his blood. He gets scared and she tries to snatch-eat-erase.
Damon digs the hole and finds the place. Kai also shows up and tells them to come so they can get it over with. Bonnie refuses to go unless he gives her the spell. He stands there in front of her. She's also adamant and holds out her hand to take the magic to do it himself. He starts taking it but eventually stops and doesn't kill her. She realises that he doesn't know the spell and won't be able to do it himself and so she kills him with a spell by throwing the shovel through his chest. Damon doesn't think it's a good idea.
Liam and Elena are at the maze where she indirectly says she doesn't want to be with him. Jo is also there and a few girls scare her. Alaric also shows up and they talk.
Meanwhile Tyler is driving, he looks down at his phone and looks up to see a person running towards the car (Ivy's victim). He tries to avoid him but the boy crashes into the car as Tyler swerves the car through a field and the corn maze party - injuring many of the party-goers. He gets out the car to find the boy, nearly dead. Elena wakes up and finds injured and screaming victims everywhere. Liam calls her over to a girl who's dying, he says she won't survive because she's bleeding too much. She tells him to leave and feeds her her blood. She compels her to leave and forget. Tyler calls Elena and asks for help. She tells him that it's more than one person who he's nearly killed/injured. Alaric quickly pulls out a wooden stake out of him. Jo notices and is surprised to see he's not injured.
Caroline is walking down the street and notices blood on the side of a car. She stops and looks while Stefan turns up behind her, asking her how she lost Ivy. Caroline says it's his fault and he took too long while he says that he was driving out of town. She's angry and irritated at him for leaving Ivy with him. He retaliates saying that it's her fault for coming and ruining everything with Enzo while he was trying to start over. She's upset and tells him to leave, which he does. She
Damon is irritated at Bonnie for killing Kai. He tells her he was their only help, she replies saying that he wasn't any help and that Grams put her there because she can do it. She does a spell that moves the ascendant. She says Kai didn't kill her because only a Bennett witch could do it.
Tyler is trying to lift the car but is unable to. Liv appears and does it for him. She says it's good that it was an accident but he says that he'll still turn into a werewolf.
Bonnie begins to do the spell while the ascendant unlocks. Damon comes, they have an emotional time and Bonnie tells him she's happy to be with him. However, Kai shows up and stabs Bonnie. He says he can't die because he's already tried. Damon tries to heal Bonnie but Kai picks up the ascendant so Bonnie tells him to
Tyler tries to get the boy to live but he'd dying. He's upset while Liv tells him it's not his fault. She stops the boy from breathing and tells Tyler that she killed him, not him.
Liam is trying to save a girl with severe injuries. Elena wakes up in the field and runs out, he spots her and calls her in. He says she won't live, Elena tells him to leave and heals the girl with her blood and compels her to forget.
Kai is trying to kill Damon. He tells her to leave while she can but she says she won't make it. She adds 'but you will'. She uses magic to throw him away and pulls Damon to the middle and throws the ascendant to him. He leaves, screaming 'NO!' as Bonnie gets left behind.
Jo wakes up next to Alaric, he quickly takes a wooden stake out of him, she leans to look but it's gone by then and she's confused. They start helping people but he has difficulty resisting blood.
Ivy is on the road, calling Caroline to come get her. She gets irritated waiting so long until a car shows up. She stops it but it's Tripp. He sees the blood on her, first thinking she's bleeding, and gets out the car to check her. She's about to bite him but he shoots vervain darts at her and takes her. Caroline watches.
Ambulance comes to take the injured victims with them. Liam is surprised and confused to see the girl who he declared would die walking and talking away.
Liv is upset about killing the boy. Tyler comes and asks her to talk about it, she starts crying thinking about it but he tells her that he would've died anyway. He says he can't repay her for what she did for him. She leaves.
Stefan is upset - at the spot where Damon died, he gets emotional and Damon comes back and hugs him.
Special Guest StarEdit
- Antagonists: Kai, Ivy & Tripp.
- With its eight words (thirty letters), this episode has the second longest title.
- Matt, Jeremy, and Enzo do not appear in this episode.
- This establishes that it has been two weeks since the events of Yellow Ledbetter where Elena had Alaric compel away her love for Damon.
- She tells Alaric that she hasn't changed her mind about having him return her memories of being in love with Damon, who she describes as a "serial killer."
- Caroline learns that Stefan had planned to leave Ivy with her and leave town before she noticed.
- This is the first time someone has been shown to jump through time and space through a portal made by Bonnie.
- Stefan is surprised that Tripp hadn't killed Enzo yet, but Tripp tells him he sending Vampire Hunter's to Savannah because of the intel he was given by Enzo.
- Luke made a daylight ring for Ivy at Stefan's request, but she never gets it to wear because Tripp captured her before she could receive it.
- To save Tyler from activating his curse again, Liv kills the student Tyler hit with his car by smothering him before he could die of his injuries.
- Elena heals the girl playing "Lady Whitmore" at the Homecoming corn maze after Liam leaves, otherwise she would've died. It is also insinuated that she healed others with her blood as well.
- Elena almost reveals herself as a vampire to Liam when she offers to help heal a woman who would die without a tracheotomy. However, Liam performs the procedure despite only having read about it in his textbook, which impresses Elena.
- Elena tries setting up Alaric and Jo at the Whitmore College's Homecoming Party at the corn maze, which seems to work, judging by their growing fondness for each other.
- Jo reveals to Alaric that after med school she went into the U.S. Army because of problems she had with her family.
- Elena kisses Liam and tells him that the type of guy she's attracted to is the hero-type.
- Bonnie figures out the spell that created the 1994 Prison World was by a Bennett witch, just as The Other Side was created by Qetsiyah, and that's why Kai can't take her magic and leave himself.
- This episode marks the return of Damon Salvatore to the present day after four months of being trapped in May 10, 1994.
- Bonnie sacrifices her chance to return home so Damon could be reunited with Elena and his brother Stefan.
- Bonnie is now trapped with Kai with few options as to how to leave, since the Ascendant broke apart after Damon left.
- Jo is shown to be immune to Alaric's compulsion, though the reason for which is unknown as of yet.
- Caroline watches as Ivy is captured by Tripp as she's arriving to pick her up.
- When Caroline is walking along the street and notices the car door covered in blood, it can be seen on the billboard above the movie theater that A Nightmare On Elm Street is playing inside.
- This episode takes its title from a Weezer song of the same name.
- Unnamed Injured Student - Suffocation; killed by Liv.
- Kai - Impaled with a Pickaxe; killed by Bonnie Bennett, later resurrected because of the metaphysical laws of the 1994 Prison World.
- Savannah, Georgia
- McKinley, Virginia
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Mystic Falls Cemetery (the crypt)
- 1994 Prison World
- This episode marks the 90th appearance of Bonnie Bennett on the show.
- Caroline and Tyler were last seen in Welcome to Paradise.
- This is the fifth and last consecutive episode in which Damon will only interact with Bonnie since I'll Remember and the both of them with Kai since his introduction in Welcome to Paradise.
- Stefan and Damon see each other for the first time since the end of Promised Land.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- This episode had 1.58 million viewers in the USA, which is 0.08 million less than the previous episode.
- Hashtag during the airing is #MazeOfMayhem
- "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here" is a song by Weezer from their eponymous 1994 album.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a TV series that aired from 1997-2003 on The WB/UPN starring Sarah Michelle Gellar as the title character Buffy Summers.
- Liam mentions Dorothy and Toto, they are characters from the book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and its sequels written by L. Frank Baum
- A Nightmare on Elm Street is playing at the theater behind Ivy when she feeds on a man after leaving Caroline.
- Alaric: "Damon may be gone, but I can still find pleasure in judging his life choices. Speaking of which, have you changed your mind about me compelling you to forget about him yet?"
- Elena: "Why do you say, "yet," as if I'm gonna wake up one day and realize that my life is over if I don't have the traumatic memories of loving a serial killer?"
- Bonnie: "By "witchy woo", I assume you mean the spell?"
- Caroline: "No. I would rather be at the party just like I'd rather have friends who didn't ignore me for months and then use me when they need help."
- Stefan: "Her name is Ivy. I was hoping you can compel her to get a handle on things. Get somewhere far away from me, live a good life..."
- Alaric: "Are you asking me to help you with a break up?"
- Stefan: "I'm just asking you to give her a fresh start."
- Alaric: "You mean give you a fresh start. Sorry, Stefan. It's not that easy."
- Stefan: "Well it was when you compelled Elena to forget about Damon."
- Alaric: "Well you forgot about him first, pal."