|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 1, Episode 10|
|Air date||November 19, 2009|
|Written by||Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec & Barbie Kligman|
|Directed by||J. Miller Tobin|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
STEFAN AND DAMON HAVE SOME NEW COMPETITION —- After reading the journal left by one of the Gilbert ancestors, Jeremy is inspired to return to his hobby of sketching fantasy creatures, a talent he had abandoned when his parents died. Much to the surprise of their friends, Matt and Caroline continue to hang out together. When Sheriff Forbes tells Damon there has been another attack, he offers to track down the killer and learns a startling piece of information about the town's founding families. Alaric steps in to help during an intense scene with Jeremy, Tyler and Mayor Lockwood. Stefan and Elena come to a new understanding, but everything changes when Elena by mistake makes a devastating discovery.
|The episode starts from where the previous one ended with Logan Fell asking Jenna to invite him in the house, who refuses by slamming the door in his face and an upset Logan attacks, bites and kills a woman who passes by at the moment. Jeremy goes through his dad's stuff and an old journal he found. The journal is filled with notes and drawings of strange creatures, something that makes him start drawing again.
Stefan and Damon discuss where they should go now that they are leaving Mystic Falls when the Sheriff Forbes appears asking for Damon. She tells Damon that there was a new vampire attack in the town, something that surprises him. Stefan overhears their conversation and asks Damon if it was him. Damon reassures him that there is a new vampire in town and they decide not to leave till they find him.
Meanwhile, Caroline and Matt get closer something that everyone notices including Tyler Lockwood who grills Matt about it. Bonnie is still a little freaked out about being attacked by Damon but she is grateful to Stefan who saved her life. Stefan shows up at school to inform Elena about the new vampire and to be careful till they'll find out who he is. Damon tries to track down the new vampire using the watch he took from Logan but because he can't do it himself he asks Caroline's help and then he compels her to forget everything. The watch leads him to a warehouse where he is ambushed and shot by Logan. Damon is surprised seeing him and wants to know who turned him. Logan believes Damon was the one who did it and he asks to tell him how he can walk in the sun.
Back at the school, there is a career fair where Jeremy sees a sketch that Tyler drew. He tries to talk to him but Tyler gets aggressive and they end up fighting. Tyler's dad separates them and takes them outside where he asks them to fight and solve their differences. Alaric, who followed them outside, asks what is going on and he faces off the Mayor stopping him from making the two boys fight.
Elena catches up with Matt asking him about Caroline and telling him about Stefan. Matt says that he and Caroline are only friends while Caroline watches the two of them talking from a distance. Stefan interrupts them and he tries to update Elena about the new vampire when Jenna comes and tells them that Logan is at the school. Stefan, who knows that Logan was supposed to be dead, realizes that he is the new vampire and leaves to find him. Elena asks what is going on and Stefan asks her to take Jenna and go. Elena understands his tone and leaves, telling Jenna not to talk again to Logan.
Meanwhile, Logan asks Stefan how he can walk in the sunlight and he threatens to expose him if he won't tell him. Stefan steps up to him and he leaves. Caroline announces to her mother that she wants to be a broadcast journalist but her mom is not impressed stating that Caroline doesn't even read the paper. Caroline leaves, upset and Logan confronts the Sheriff for whom he believes is the one who buried him and covered his "death". He threatens her and then leaves while Sheriff calls for back up. Logan sees Caroline outside being stood up by Bonnie and offers to drive her home. Matt sees Caroline getting into Logan's car but he doesn't see that Logan knocks her unconscious before they drive away. Stefan is at the phone with Damon talking about Logan. Damon is pissed after the ambush and wants to kill Logan. He is heading right at the school as soon as Stefan tells him that Logan is there. Elena comes to Stefan asking about Logan when Matt comes and tells them that Caroline left with him. Elena is terrified and Stefan leaves to find Caroline.
Logan calls the Sheriff to tell her that he has her daughter and he will turn her into a vampire when Stefan and Damon appear and pull him out of the car. Damon shoots him with wooden bullets and sends Stefan off to take Caroline home. Damon informs the Sheriff where they are via the radio and then he starts interrogating Logan trying to find out who turned him. Logan still says he doesn't know but the moment Damon is about to kill him, Logan says to Damon that he and the vampire who turned him have another way to raise the vampires who are trapped under the Fell's Church, including Katherine. Damon is shocked but he wants to believe him and, while the Sheriff approaches, he asks Logan to knock him down and make it look real. Logan throws Damon away and escapes.
After taking Caroline home, Stefan gets back to school to find Elena. He tells her that they can't be together and she offers to drive him home. Elena tries to convince him that he is not responsible for what is happening in her life since her life was painful way before his arrival. Stefan is not convinced though and he walks away. Elena shouts at him that she loves him. Stefan, hearing that, gets back to her and kisses her. The two of them get into the house and sleep together for the first time.
Logan heads to his car to go and find Damon but he runs into Alaric. Alaric warns him to stay away from Jenna because she deserves the best. Logan makes fun of him of how stupid he is and then tries to attack him but Alaric stakes him in the heart and kills him. The Sheriff finds Logan's body and calls Damon to thank him, thinking that it was him who killed him. Damon, who was waiting on Logan at the Fell's Church, is in shocked hearing the news and has no idea who might have killed Logan.
Back at Stefan's bedroom, Stefan leaves the room to bring Elena something to drink, leaving her alone. Elena starts walking around the room checking on Stefan's things when she sees Katherine's picture. She is in shock seeing how much she looks like her and she immediately leaves. Stefan comes back looking for her but he can't find her. He sees the necklace he gave her on Katherine's picture and understands that Elena saw the picture.
The episode ends with Elena driving back home in tears when suddenly a figure appears in front of her. She tries to avoid him but she hits him and her car flips over trapping her in the driver's sit. She turns her head and watches that the figure reanimates itself, gets up and starts walking towards her.
Special Recurring Star
- Antagonist: Logan Fell.
- The Gilbert's House number is 2104.
- Stefan wanted to be a doctor before he turned into a vampire, but he couldn't fulfill this dream because of the blood involved.
- Elena tells Stefan that she wanted to be a writer since her mother had pushed her in that direction by giving her a diary, but since her mother died she can't see herself being a writer anymore. This was a dream she had with her mother.
- Tyler's clear bewilderment about his own violent aggression hints at a possible supernatural history when, after confessing to Jeremy that he can't explain his behavior, the camera lingers on a shot of the full moon.
- Alaric kills Logan Fell, his first vampire and first significant kill, through the stake.
- This is the first episode to have flashbacks that aren't set in 1864 dealing with Stefan, Damon and Katherine.
- These are the first flashbacks to be centered on Alaric and Isobel prior to their respective arrivals in Mystic Falls.
- Elena and Stefan have sex for the first time in this episode.
- After Elena finds Katherine's tintype photo, she then leaves believing Stefan is using her to replace Katherine. She leaves behind the vervain necklace.
- Noah stands in the middle of the road in front of Elena's car, causing her car to crash into him and for her car to flip over. Elena begins to scream as Noah walks towards her.
- Daphne - drained of blood, killed by Logan Fell.
- Numerous unnamed bodies stashed in Logan's warehouse.
- Logan Fell - staked, killed by Alaric Saltzman.
- The Amazing Race, a U.S. reality television game show in which teams of two people—who have some form of a preexisting personal relationship—race around the world in competition with other teams.
- Celine Dion, a Canadian singer.
- Family Guy, an American animated television series.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.57 million viewers in USA which was 0.53 million less than the previous episode.
- Jeremy (reading Jonathan Gilbert's journal): "I live in fear, it consumes me. In the early evening when I see the sun beginning to fade, the fear comes because I know that the night brings death."
- Elena: "Jeremy's got his sketchpad out."
- Jenna: "You're kidding."
- Elena: "Nope, but don't say a word. The minute you encourage him he'll put it away."
- Jenna: "Psychology major, check that."
- Sheriff Forbes: "There's been another attack. A female victim, her throat torn out, complete drained of blood. It fits the pattern."
- Damon: "I'm sorry, I don't understand. I thought we solved that problem when we staked the blonde one."
- Tyler: "So whats up with you and Forbes?"
- Matt: "Nothings up."
- Tyler: "I saw you two in the hall today, don't even try to deny it bro. You're tappin' that."
- Matt: "No, it's not like that."
- Damon: "Who turned you?"
- Logan: "How should I know, last thing I remember is I'm about to stake your brother and then you grab me. That's it! Until I wake up in the ground behind a used car dealership on Highway 4; somebody buried me."
- Damon (In pain): "It happens."
- Logan: "You bit me, it had to be you."
- Damon: "You have to have vampire blood in your system when you die, I didn't do that. Some other vampire found you, gave you their blood."
- Logan: "Who?"
- Damon: "That's what I want to know."
- Logan: "Dude it's not like the Welcome Wagon was waiting with a Bunt Cake and a handbook. It's been a learn-as-you-go process. You know, one minute, I'm a small town on the rise news guy and the next thing I know I can't get into my house because my foot won't get through the door!"
- Damon: "You have to be invited in."
- Logan: "I know, I live alone."
- Damon: "Oh, that sucks."
- Logan: "All I can think about is blood, and killing people. I can't stop killing people, I keep killing (laughs).. And I like it. I'm conflicted."
- Damon: "Welcome to the club."
- Damon: "Logan Fell's a vampire and when I find him again I'm going to destroy him.. limb.. by limb."
- Stefan: "What happened, are you okay?"
- Damon: "No, I'm not okay. I was ambushed, I was shot. Now I'm vengeful. Just gotta find him."
- Logan: "What are you going to do, stake me? Bury me in another shallow grave? What will the email say this time?"
- Sheriff Forbes: "I didn't have a choice."
- Logan: "You bitch! I died for you, for this town. You've known me since I was 6..and you swept me under the rug like dirt."
- Sheriff Forbes: "You knew what you were getting into."
- Logan: "I was one of you."
- Sheriff Forbes: "And now you're one of them."
- Elena: "I know that you think that you brought all this bad stuff into my life, but my life already had it. I was buried in it."
- Stefan: "This is different."
- Elena: "It doesn't make it any less painful."
- Stefan: "I know this is hard to understand..but I'm doing this for you."
- Elena: "No, you don't get to make that decision for me. If you walk away, its for you, because I know what I want. Stefan, I love you."
- Alaric: "Jenna's a good person, she deserves the best. I'm here to make sure she gets it."
- Logan Fell: "Was that supposed to be a threat? Couldn't you throw a punch..maybe..provoke me a little?"
- Alaric (laughs): "I'm not a violent guy by design."
- Logan: "Oh, you're not a very smart one either."
- Alaric: "How's that?"
- Logan: "Cause you have no idea who you're talking to." (Alaric stakes him right afterwards)
- Elena: "Still wanna be an astronaut?"
- Matt (laughs): "I can't believe you remember that."
- Elena: "I can remember the tinfoil that you wore on your head."
- Matt: "I was 8."
- Stefan: "So, any idea of where you'll go?"
- Damon: "I don't know. London, maybe. See some friends."
- Stefan: "You don't have any friends, Damon"
- Damon: "You're right, Stefan. I only have you. So, where are we going?"
- Stefan: ""We" are not going anywhere. I'm gonna live my life as far away from you as possible."
- Damon: "But we're a team. We could travel the world together. We could try out for The Amazing Race."