|“||But we’re a team! We could travel the world together. We could try out for "The Amazing Race".||”|
STEFAN AND DAMON HAVE SOME NEW COMPETITION —- After reading the journal left by one of the Gilbert ancestors, Jeremy is inspired to return to his hobby of sketching fantasy creatures, a talent he had abandoned when his parents died. Much to the surprise of their friends, Matt and Caroline continue to hang out together. When Sheriff Forbes tells Damon there has been another attack, he offers to track down the killer and learns a startling piece of information about the town's founding families. Alaric steps in to help during an intense scene with Jeremy, Tyler and Mayor Lockwood. Stefan and Elena come to a new understanding, but everything changes when Elena by mistake makes a devastating discovery.
Special Guest Star
- Antagonist: Logan Fell.
- The Gilbert House number is 2104.
- Stefan admitted to Elena that he wanted to be a doctor before he turned into a vampire, but he couldn't fulfill this dream because of his temptation toward human blood.
- Elena tells Stefan that she wanted to be a writer since her mother had pushed her in that direction by giving her a diary, but since her mother died, she can't see herself being a writer anymore.
- This episode is the first to feature outside of Mystic Falls as Elena drives out of town after her discovery about Katherine.
- Tyler's clear bewilderment about his own violent aggression hints at a possible supernatural history, when, after confessing to Jeremy that he can't explain his behavior, the camera lingers on a shot of the full moon.
- Tyler would later learn his family's "curse" of lycanthropy through his Lockwood heritage.
- Logan Fell is the first vampire shown to use a gun.
- Alaric kills Logan Fell, his first vampire and first significant kill, through the stake.
- Elena and Stefan have sex for the first time in this episode.
- After Elena finds Katherine's tin-type photo, she then leaves believing that Stefan is using her to replace Katherine. She also leaves behind the vervain necklace.
- Noah stands in the middle of the road in front of Elena's car, causing her car to crash into him and for her car to flip over. Elena begins to scream as Noah walks towards her.
- This episode contains Paul Wesley's favorite Stelena scene. 
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Daphne - Drained of blood; killed by Logan Fell.
- Numerous unnamed bodies stashed in Logan's warehouse - Drained of blood; killed by Logan Fell.
- Logan Fell - Staked; killed by Alaric Saltzman.
- The Amazing Race, a U.S. reality television game show in which teams of two people, who have some form of a preexisting personal relationship, race around the world in competition with other teams.
- Celine Dion, a Canadian singer.
- Family Guy, an American animated television series.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.57 million viewers in USA, which was 0.53 million less than the previous episode.
- Jeremy (reading Johnathan Gilbert's journal): "I live in fear, it consumes me. In the early evening when I see the sun beginning to fade, the fear comes because I know that the night brings death."
- Elena: "Jeremy's got his sketchpad out."
- Jenna: "You're kidding."
- Elena: "Nope, but don't say a word. The minute you encourage him, he'll put it away."
- Jenna: "Psychology major. Check that."
- Sheriff Forbes: "There's been another attack. A female victim, her throat torn out, complete drained of blood. It fits the pattern."
- Damon: "I'm sorry, I don't understand. I thought we solved that problem when we staked the blonde one."
- Tyler: "So, whats up with you and Forbes?"
- Matt: "Nothings up."
- Tyler: "I saw you two in the hall today, don't even try to deny it bro. You're tappin' that."
- Matt: "No, it's not like that."
- Damon: "Who turned you?"
- Logan: "How should I know? Last thing I remember is, I'm about to stake your brother, and then you grab me. That's it! Until I wake up in the ground behind a used car dealership on Highway 4-- somebody buried me."
- Damon (in pain): "It happens."
- Logan: "You bit me, it had to be you."
- Damon: "You have to have vampire blood in your system when you die. I didn't do that. Some other vampire found you, gave you their blood."
- Logan: "Who?"
- Damon: "That's what I want to know."
- Logan: "Dude, it's not like the Welcome Wagon was waiting with a Bundt cake and a handbook -- it's been a learn-as-you-go process. You know, one minute, I'm a small-town, on-the-rise news guy, and the next thing I know, I can't get into my house because my foot won't get through the door!"
- Damon: "You have to be invited in."
- Logan: "I know -- I live alone."
- Damon: "Oh, that sucks."
- Logan: "All I can think about is blood, and killing people. I can't stop killing people. I keep killing... (He laughs hysterically) And I like it. I'm conflicted."
- Damon: "Welcome to the club."
- Damon: "Logan Fell's a vampire, and when I find him again, I'm going to destroy him.. limb-by-limb."
- Stefan: "What happened? Are you okay?"
- Damon: "No, I'm not okay! I was ambushed, I was shot. Now I'm vengeful. Just gotta find him."
- Logan: "What are you going to do, stake me? Bury me in another shallow grave? What will the email say this time?"
- Sheriff Forbes: "I didn't have a choice."
- Logan: "You bitch! I died for you! For this town! You've known me since I was six, and you swept me under the rug like dirt."
- Sheriff Forbes: "You knew what you were getting into."
- Logan: "I was one of you."
- Sheriff Forbes: "And now you're one of them."
- Elena: "I know that you think that you brought all this bad stuff into my life, but my life already had it. I was buried in it."
- Stefan: "This is different."
- Elena: "It doesn't make it any less painful."
- Stefan: "I know this is hard to understand..but I'm doing this for you."
- Elena: "No, you don't get to make that decision for me. If you walk away, its for you, because I know what I want. Stefan, I love you."
- Alaric: "Jenna's a good person, she deserves the best. I'm here to make sure she gets it."
- Logan Fell: "Was that supposed to be a threat? Couldn't you throw a punch? Maybe provoke me a little?"
- Alaric (laughs): "I'm not a violent guy by design."
- Logan: "Oh, you're not a very smart one either."
- Alaric: "How's that?"
- Logan: "Cause you have no idea who you're talking to." (Alaric stakes him to death in response)
- Elena: "Still wanna be an astronaut?"
- Matt (laughs): "I can't believe you remember that."
- Elena: "I can remember the tinfoil that you wore on your head."
- Matt: "I was eight!"
- Stefan: "So, any idea of where you'll go?"
- Damon: "I don't know. London, maybe. See some friends."
- Stefan: "You don't have any friends, Damon"
- Damon: "You're right, Stefan. I only have you. So, where are we going?"
- Stefan: ""We" are not going anywhere. I'm gonna live my life as far away from you as possible."
- Damon: "But we're a team. We could travel the world together. We could try out for The Amazing Race."