|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 21|
|Air date||May 5th 2011|
|Written by||Caroline Dries & Mike Daniels|
|Directed by||Paul M. Sommers|
|Episode Guide transcript|
The Last Day
As I Lay Dying
THE SACRIFICE RITUAL BEGINS — With the arrival of the full moon, Elena tries to prepare for whatever Klaus has planned and Tyler faces his second transformation. The terrifying events quickly spin out of control despite an unexpected act of courage. Finally, John and Jenna are buried and Damon tells Stefan about something severe he has to face.
- Antagonist: Klaus
- All three people killed in the sacrifice were women (Jules, Jenna and Elena). Klaus killed them in the most common ways to kill their specific species: ripped heart (Werewolf), staked (Vampire) and draining blood (Doppelgänger).
- The Petrova Family comes to an end with Elena's death, but is resurrected by the Gilbert and Bennett families through John and Bonnie.
- The Martin family comes to an end with the death of Greta.
- Elijah goes back on his word by betraying Elena in this episode; in hopes of saving his own family from Klaus.
- Elijah meets Bonnie in this episode.
- Bonnie and Jeremy were last seen in The Last Dance.
- Death Count: 4 (Jules, Jenna, Greta and John)
- Jules dies in this episode at Klaus's hands. This was her 6th appearance.
- Jenna dies in this episode at Klaus's hands. This was her 31st appearance.
- Greta dies in this episode at Damon's hands. This was her 3rd appearance.
- Elena dies in this episode but is resurrected.
- John Gilbert also dies in this episode, allowing Elena come back to life as a human via Bonnie's spell. This was his 12th appearance.
- With the deaths of Jenna and John, Elena and Jeremy's guardians (Jenna and John) have all died.
- This is the sixth and final episode this season to have all the main characters in it. The previous 5 episodes are Plan B, Masquerade, The Sacrifice, By the Light of the Moon, and Daddy Issues.
- Filming began on Thursday, March 24 and ended on Sunday, April 3, 2011.
- This episode had 2.840 million viewers in the USA.
- This episode marks the first time that Paul M. Sommers is acting as director, having been Director of Photography for the previous 42 episodes.
- Jenna dies in this episode, making her the second main character to die after Vicki. Jenna has a shorter life as a vampire then anyone else in the series, perhaps less than an hour.
- There are now only 4 (Elena, Bonnie, Caroline and Katherine) main female characters among the 9 main cast members and 6 (Stefan, Damon, Jeremy, Alaric, Tyler and Matt) main male characters.
- In the scene where Damon is leaving the cemetery (look at the picture) at the left corners on one of the tombstones says Paul Sommers which is the name of this episode's director.
- This is the unofficial finale of Season 2 as it wraps up the main storyline.
- This is the only episode to feature all main characters of the Third Season.
- This is the last episode until Growing Pains that features all main characters.
- This is the final episode of Sara Canning as a series regular.
- "The Sun Also Rises" is the name of a 1926 novel by Ernest Hemingway. It is considered his greatest work where he explores the themes of love, death and renewal of nature. This episode is also about love and death, as everybody is willing to die for those they love. One of the main characters of the novel, Brett, is an immoral woman who is loved by four men, and destroys their lives - Katherine is loved by four men (Klaus, Elijah, Damon and Stefan) and she destroys their lives too.
- Damon tells Katherine that making up with her is not on his "Bucket List". A Bucket List is a list of things to to before one "kicks the bucket". It is also the name of a movie about two patients that run away from a cancer ward with a list of to-dos before they die.
- Greta says Klaus will bring "the new order". That is a phrase loaded with meaning, from the Nazis to the "New World Order " conspiracy theory about a secrete power elite conspiring to rule the world.
- Elijah (To Klaus): "In the name of our family, Niklaus."
- Klaus (To Elena, Jenna and Jules): "Hello, my lovelies. Are we ready?"
- Elijah: "You're very honorable."
- Stefan: "Are you? Because this whole plan is contingent upon your honor, Elijah."
- Elijah: "I won't fail you."
- Stefan: "Klaus is your brother. I know that I've wanted to kill my brother a thousand times, but I've never been able to."
- Elijah: "You know, Klaus was not my only brother. I had siblings, parents; I had a family. Over the centuries, Klaus hunted them down one by one and he took them from me. He scattered them across the seas where their bodies could never be found."
- Stefan: "You want revenge."
- Elijah: "Sometimes there's honor in revenge, Stefan. I won't fail you."
- Stefan: "Please end this."
- Caroline: "You shouldn't leave again."
- Tyler: "You're kidding, right? This is the second time I've tried to kill you."
- Caroline: "Well, no friendship is perfect."
- Damon: "Her soul. Really? You're going to put your faith in some act of God mumbo jumbo?"
- John: "I refuse to let Elena become the thing I spent my life protecting her against. And you can call that God, or mystical energy, or whatever you want. But yes, I'm putting my faith in it."
- Matt (To Caroline): "I get it. This is your life now. But you know what my life is, Car? My life is an absent mom and a bunch of bills to pay. And school. And a job. And it sucks sometimes. But it's my life and I think that I just want to live it without all this."
- Katherine: "One hundred and forty-five years and no last goodbye?"
- Damon: "You don't get a goodbye."
- Katherine: "Don't. Don't leave mad."
- Damon: "Us ending up on good terms is not exactly on my bucket list, Katherine."
- Katherine: "Klaus made me call Jenna to lure her out. There was nothing I could do. I didn't have a choice."
- Damon: "That's why I gave you the vervain. So you had a choice."
- Katherine: "It was her or me. I chose her."
- Damon: "I helped you. You owed me. Now when Klaus dies you're going to walk out of here without a scratch and Elena's aunt dies. Somehow you're the only one that wins. How'd that happen?"
- Katherine: "I didn't let love get in the way."
- Damon: "Enjoy eternity alone ,Katherine."
- John: "You ruined her life. You know that, right?"
- Damon: "I know, John. I took her choices, destroyed her future. I get it."
- Damon (to Stefan about the werewolf bite): "You want to do something for me? Keep this from Elena. The last thing she needs is another grave to mourn."
- Damon (To Elena): "Come back as a vampire, I'll stake you myself, so don't. Cause I can't stand the idea of you hating me forever."
- Bonnie (About letting Klaus go): "Do it and I'll take you both out."
- Elijah: "You'll die."
- Bonnie: "I don't care."
- Caroline (To Tyler): "Instead of just bailing on me again, you could just say: Thank you, Caroline for taking care of me. And I'm sorry I tried to chow on you again."
- John's final letter to Elena:
- Elena. It's no easy task being an ordinary parent to an extraordinary child. I've failed in that task. And because of my prejudices, I've failed you. I'm haunted by how things might've played out differently if I'd been more willing to hear your side of things. For me, it's the end. For you, a chance to grow old and someday do better with your own child than I did with mine. It's for that child that I give you my ring. I don't ask for your forgiveness or for you to forget, I ask only that you believe this. Whether you are now reading this as a human or as a vampire, I love you all the same as I've always loved you and always will.
- Damon (To Stefan): "How does one go about killing an all-powerful wolf-vamp and his two-faced older brother?"
- (After Stefan offers to exchange himself for Jenna)
- Klaus: "I don't know. I kind of like the symmetry of three women, three goddesses."