|“||Spirits talk, Mr. Salvatore, so does my granddaughter. You are no friend to us.||”|
The Spirits were the totality of all non-living witches who inhabit the Other Side. The Spirits are extremely powerful and are considered the binding force between the elements of the Earth and the forces of nature.
As powerful spiritual beings, the Spirits are known to possess an ethereal field of collective knowledge that can be accessed by any witch who calls upon their assistance. It is known that witches who call upon the Spirits for help must practice a form of Spirit Magic. Spirit Magic draws energy from the Spirits and may be used for either negative or positive purposes. Unlike other forms of magic, Spirit Magic is highly dependent on the cooperation of the Spirits and can only be used as the Spirits see fit. If a witch abuses the magic bestowed upon them, the Spirits may break the connection, preventing the witch from harnessing their power.
In ancient Greece, the Traveler witch Qetsiyah indirectly created The Other Side when she made Amara into The Anchor. This subsequently created The Spirits, as any supernatural species could not find peace or had unfinished business would be trapped on the other side of the Veil, alone from one another. Witch Spirits, however have free reign on the Other Side and can use magic on the mortal plane.
In The Originals: The Rise it is revealed that, Ysabelle Dalliencourt was able to teach the New Orleans community magic from Esther's grimoires. One such spell was used to penetrate hole-like elements in the wall of The Other Side and which she utilized to locate the spirits of her ancestors behind it, thus being able to connect and communicate with them. This gave rise to Ancestral Plane which is assumed to come into existence some 300 years prior to the current time period. This is estimated on the fact that The Harvest has only been performed twice, and many of the modern day witches lost faith in that the Ancestors would resurrect the four chosen Harvest Witches.
Papa Tunde states that he has practiced Ancestral Magic apart from the New Orlean's Covens. This implies that other witches have found loopholes within the Veil to bring the spirits into a collective ancestral plane, possibly even separate from each other.
Known Former Spirits
Note: * indicates the witch is a former spirit.
- Qetsiyah was indirectly responsible for the existence of spirits. By creating the Other Side, she prevented the souls of deceased supernatural beings from finding peace, thus trapping deceased witches on the Other Side.
- Spirits are essentially ghosts of the witch species on the Other Side.
- They are also the only type of ghosts who are able to interact with one another.
- They often communicate with other living witches as well according to several accounts.
- Spirits retain their ability to use magic on the Other Side even going as far as having the ability to give other ghosts a physical foothold with the right circumstance.
- The two oldest known spirits inhabiting the Other Side were Qetsiyah and Silas at the time of its collapse.
- Since the Other Side has been destroyed, it is currently unknown if spirits can still exist, at least on Earth.
- Witches have the power to transport spirits into other bodies.
- Witches who enter the Ancestral Plane through consecration are exempted from this rule.
- The Spirits tortured Sheila Bennett as a result of Bonnie Bennett's use of dark magic.
- According to Sheila, the spirits talk, the fact that she knew this could mean that she was able to hear them or all witches are able to hear the spirits of the Other Side.
- The Anchor is exempt from becoming a spirit, but withholds the ability to communicate with the Spirits.
- Should the Anchor be transferred to a spirit, they will gain a foothold on the mortal plane, as seen with Bonnie.