|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 10|
|Air date||December 2nd 2010|
|Written by||Caroline Dries|
|Directed by||Ralph Hemecker|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
By the Light of the Moon
SummaryJEREMY MAKES A DANGEROUS MISTAKE — Elena decides to take matters into her own hands and offers a tempting incentive to Rose for her help. When things take an unexpected turn, however, Rose calls on Damon to deal with the plan Elena has set in motion, which involves her trying to get Klaus's attention. Jeremy’s reckless attempt to help Bonnie retrieve the moonstone lands him in a life-threatening position and forces Stefan to put himself in danger to protect him from Katherine. Bonnie and Luka form a closer connection. Tyler shows Caroline the Lockwood cellar, where she makes a discovery that leaves them both terrified.
|Stefan and Damon plot to get the moonstone from Katherine so they can lift the curse. Elena asks Rose to take her to Slater so they can learn more about Klaus and where to find him.
Instead, they find Slater's staked corpse laying in his house. Elena uses information from his computer to get Klaus's attention, saying that she, the doppelgänger, is willing to surrender. Rose protests, but Elena insists that surrendering is the only way to protect the people she loves from Klaus. Meanwhile, Caroline and Tyler discuss the approaching full moon and explore the underground tomb on the old Lockwood family property.
They discover Mason's journal and the video diary that he had used to document his extremely painful first transformations. Bonnie forms a plan to lift the spell from the tomb and temporarily incapacitate Katherine so that Stefan can quickly grab the moonstone, but Jeremy goes ahead with the plan by himself and is captured and fed on by Katherine. He manages to toss the moonstone out of the tomb. Stefan arrives and pushes Jeremy out safely, but is trapped in it himself. Later, Jeremy and Bonnie almost kiss. Damon arrives at Slater's house and tells Elena that he will not let her surrender to Klaus or put herself in danger. Two vampires confront Damon, Rose, and Elena; they want to take Elena to Klaus, but all of sudden Elijah appears and kills them, leaving Damon, Rose, and Elena unharmed.
Damon and Elena return to Mystic Falls; Elena tries to run to Stefan in the tomb, but Damon restrains her. Stefan makes Damon promise to protect Elena, and he agrees.Elijah and Luka's father discuss what had happened at Slater's house. Elijah states that he spared Damon and Rose because he could see that they would protect Elena, which is what Elijah had been trying to do all along.
- Antagonist: Elijah Mikaelson.
- This episode had about 3.46 million viewers in USA.
- This is the third episode of Season Two to have all the main characters in it. The previous two episodes are Plan B and Masquerade.
- Damon begins a friendship with Rose, in this episode.
- Marcos Siega directed Mason's transformation video.
- Jeremy going in for a kiss with Bonnie was not scripted.
- According to Zap2It's Carina MacKenzie, it was Steven R. McQueen improvising.
- A song (only happy when it rains) by Katerina Graham who plays Bonnie Bennett was used in the soundtrack for this episode.
- Cody - killed by Elijah.
- Slater's password is Kristen Stewart", the name of the actress who plays Bella in the Twilight Saga.
- Alice, Slater's girlfriend, looks and dresses like Chanterelle, the vampire wannabe in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer episode 2x07, "Lie to Me".
- Elena: "I don't question why everyone tries so hard to save me. You shouldn't question why I try so hard to save everyone else."
- Damon (To Elena): "Get your ass out the door before I throw you over my shoulder and carry you out myself."
- Elena: "They`re willing to risk everyone that I love, and I`m not."
- Elijah: "I'm Elijah."