Mystic Falls High School
[It's nighttime. The school is empty. Matt is using a bench-press machine in the weight room. He stops for a rest and hears a noise. He gets up and walks through the school. He finally enters a classroom. It's dark inside, and when he steps inside he sets off a number of mouse traps that have been placed on the floor. He turns on the light. Tyler, Caroline, Elena and Bonnie are here setting the traps.]
- Caroline: Ohh! Oh, come on! Seriously?! Do you know how long it took for us to set all this up?!
- Tyler: Forgot about senior prank night, huh?
- Matt: Clearly.
- Caroline: How could you forget? We've only been waiting for this since like freshman year.
- Elena: Yeah, Matt. If I'm doing this, you're doing this.
- Matt: I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this.
- Bonnie: Caroline's making us.
- Caroline: We're about to be seniors. These are the memories that will stay with us forever, and if we don't...
- Elena: And if we don't create these memories now, then what's the point of it all?
- Caroline: Go ahead and make fun, I don't care.
- Tyler: You're all lame. And I've got ten more classrooms to prank.
[He takes his bag and leaves. Elena's about to leave too.]
- Bonnie: Hey! Where are you going?
- Elena: To superglue Alaric's desk shut. I'm making memories.
[She smiles. Caroline smiles too.]
- Caroline: I love you!
[Elena goes out of the classroom and sees Tyler giving instructions to other students while he hands them rolls of saran wrap.]
- Tyler: Get the faculty toilet seats, and Dana needs bodies in the gym. Let's go.
[Elena laughs and opens some double doors, then finds herself face-to-face with Klaus.]
- Klaus: There's my girl.
- Elena: Klaus!
[She turns around and tries to run, but he's already in front of her.]
- Klaus: You are supposed to be dead. What are we going to do about that?
[Damon and Katherine are in a car. He's driving.]
- Katherine: Are you hungry? Let's stop for a bite. A truck stop. Or a trucker.
- Damon: Oh, stop being cute.
- Katherine: It's not possible.
- Damon: We've been driving around aimlessly for hours. Where are we going?
- Katherine: Far enough away so that you can't go running back.
- Damon: Not to worry. Mystic Falls and I are on a bit of a break.
- Katherine: You and Mystic Falls, or you and Elena?
- Damon: Let's just say Elena and I are having a bit of difference of opinion on how I should behave.
- Katherine: Ooh. Let me guess...Elena wants you to be the hero, and you don't like playing pretend.
- Damon: Something like that.
- Katherine: Her loss.
[They kiss but Damon finally pushes her off of him.]
- Katherine: What are you doing?
- Damon: I thought I'd give it a shot. Truth is, you just don't do it for me anymore.
[Stefan wakes up. Rebekah's standing near the open back door.]
- Rebekah: Oh, he lives.
- Stefan: What happened?
- Rebekah: You took a beating. My brother's been breaking your neck all afternoon. Quite the temper.
- Stefan: Why did he bring us back to Mystic Falls?
- Rebekah: You can stop playing dumb now. It didn't take him long to figure out what you've been hiding.
- Stefan: I'm not hiding anything. I've done everything Klaus has asked me to.
- Rebekah: No, you just failed to mention that the doppelgänger's still alive.
- Stefan: Where is Klaus now?
- Rebekah: With any luck, ripping that cow's bloody head off.
[He rushes at her and they both fly out of the truck and onto the ground, him on top of her.]
- Stefan: Where is she?
- Rebekah: You really do love her, don't you?
[She gets up and pushes him against the truck, punches him and takes a crowbar. She puts the hook of the crowbar behind his neck and pulls him toward her.]
- Rebekah: Consider me jealous.
[She drives the crowbar through his stomach.]
Mystic Falls High School
[Klaus is holding onto Elena's arm and he's marching her through the school hallways.]
- Klaus: You put a rather large kink in my plans, sweetheart. The whole point of breaking the curse and becoming a hybrid was to make more hybrids. I haven't been able to do that. Now my bet is, it has something to do with the fact that you're still breathing.
- Elena: If you're going to kill me, just do it!
- Klaus: Not until I know I'm right. But I do have ways of making you suffer.
[He pulls her into the gym. A few students are there setting up pranks. Klaus speaks with an American accent.]
- Klaus: Attention, seniors. You have officially been busted. Prank night is over. Head on home.
[He sees Dana and another student. He gets closer to them and speaks with his normal voice.]
- Klaus: You two. I remember you.
- Dana: I'm sorry. Who are you?
- Klaus: Oh, don't worry, I wasn't in my right head last time we met.
[He compels her.]
- Klaus: Lift your foot up, please, Dana.
[She does so. He looks at the boy.]
- Klaus: If she drops her foot, Chad, I want you to beat her to death. Understood?
- Elena: Don't, Klaus. You don't have to hurt anybody.
- Klaus: Oh, come on, love. Of course I do.
[Damon stops the car and gets out. Katherine gets out too.]
- Katherine: Why are we stopping?
- Damon: I thought we might want to stretch our legs. Take a break from the sexual tension. I'm tired of driving. It's your turn.
- Katherine: Fine.
[He holds the keys out for her. When she's about to take them, he suddenly throws the keys away.]
- Katherine: Hey! I...
- Damon: We're not going anywhere until you spill your guts.
- Katherine: Fine.
[She takes something out of her pocket and shows him Elena's necklace.]
- Katherine: Do you recognize this, hmm? A little birdy told me that Klaus wants to get his hands on it.
- Damon: Why would Klaus want Elena's necklace?
- Katherine: Does it matter? He wants it, and I have it. It's leverage, Damon. Always stay one step ahead of your enemy.
- Damon: I'll keep that in mind.
- Katherine: But more importantly, when I stole the necklace from Bonnie, I found out something else...Something better.
- Damon: Oh, yeah? What's that?
- Katherine: Are you willing to do whatever it takes to stop Klaus? No turning back?
- Damon: I'm not turning back.
- Katherine: Good. Because this isn't going to win you any points at home.
[She opens the trunk. Jeremy is lying in it, unconscious. Damon looks at him and then at her.]
- Damon: Jeremy? Really?
Mystic Falls High School
[Caroline and Tyler are in the hallway. She's putting honey on the lockers. Tyler kisses her shoulder and head from behind.]
- Caroline: Do you think Matt's going to be okay?
- Tyler: I'm kissing you and you're wondering about your ex-boyfriend?
- Caroline: I'm asking you if you think our friend, who we both love, is okay.
- Tyler: I think he probably doesn't have a lot of people to talk to anymore. I think he's struggling more than he lets on. I think that I love how big your heart is.
- Caroline: I just want this school year to be great, you know? I just want everyone to be happy. Even in the midst of all the crazy unhappy bits.
- Tyler: I'm happy.
[They kiss. Rebekah walks towards them in the hallway.]
- Rebekah: You two are adorable.
[They look at her.]
- Caroline: Uh, do we know you?
- Rebekah: You're Caroline, Elena's friend, which makes you Tyler. The werewolf.
[Caroline walks between Tyler and Rebekah.]
- Caroline: And who are you?
- Rebekah: I'm the new girl.
[She vamps out.]
- Tyler: Caroline!
[Rebekah rushes over to Caroline.]
[In the pool room, Bonnie and Matt are putting toilet paper on the swimming pool.]
- Bonnie: This is fun, right?
- Matt: You sound like Caroline.
- Bonnie: Come on, I am embracing her philosophy. You should be more into this.
- Matt: I know. Where's Jeremy tonight?
- Bonnie: I haven't talked to him all day. We're having, um...He, uh, he told me about seeing Vicki.
- Matt: Ohh. Good, I'm glad that you know.
- Bonnie: I'm sorry. Is it weird talking about your sister like this?
- Matt: No, I...I just kind of want to see her myself, you know? I mean, I never got to say good-bye to her.
- Matt: Do you realize that just last summer, you and I were lifeguards at the pool? And the only two problems I had in my life were that Elena was breaking up with me and I sucked at CPR.
- Bonnie: Everything was so different then.
- Matt: Yeah. Now Elena's dating a vampire, you're a witch, my sister's a ghost, and...I'm...I'm just a guy who's wondering how life got so screwed up.
- Bonnie: It's crazy, Matt. I...I can't imagine what it must be like for you.
- Matt: It just, uh, kind of explains why I'm not that into senior prank night. I'll go grab a couple more rolls. Then we'll hit the gym.
[Matt enters the men's room. He goes into the three stalls and grabs the toilet paper from each one. On his way out, one of the doors open by itself behind him. He enters the stall, sees some graffiti that says "R.I.P. Vicki" and then closes the door. Vicki's behind him.]
- Vicki: I'm here, Matt. I can help you.
[He doesn't hear her.]
[In the gym Dana is struggling to stay on one foot.]
- Klaus: Keep it up.
- Elena: Where's Stefan? What did you do to him?
- Klaus: Stefan's on a time out.
[The doors open. Bonnie and Matt enter.]
- Elena: Bonnie, get out of here!
[Klaus rushes over to Bonnie.]
- Klaus: Ah, I was wondering when you'd show up. Now we can get started.
[He looks over at Dana.]
- Klaus: Ah, Dana, why don't you relax? You and Chad sit tight.
[He looks at Bonnie.]
- Klaus: I assume you're the reason Elena's still walking around alive?
- Bonnie: That's right. If you want to blame someone, blame me.
- Klaus: Oh, there's no need for blame, love. Just your witchy interference seems to have caused some undesirable side effects. And since you caused the problem, I'm going to have you find the fix.
[Rebekah enters with Tyler.]
- Tyler: Get off of me!
- Rebekah: Hush now.
- Klaus: I'd like you all to meet my sister Rebekah. Word of warning...She can be quite mean.
- Rebekah: Don't be an ass.
[She throws Tyler into Klaus's arms.]
- Elena: Leave him alone!
- Klaus: I'm going to make this very simple...Every time I attempt to turn a werewolf into a vampire hybrid, they die during the transition. It's quite horrible, actually.
[He bites his wrist and makes Tyler drink his blood.]
- Klaus: I need you to find a way to save my hybrids, Bonnie. And for Tyler's sake...You better hurry.
[He twists his head and kills him. Elena, Matt and Bonnie are shocked. Klaus smiles.]
[Stefan is in the parking lot and has the crowbar in his stomach. He wakes up and removes it.]
[Dana and Chad are sitting on the floor. Matt is next to Tyler's body.]
- Matt: He killed him.
- Elena: He's not dead. Klaus's blood will turn him into a vampire.
- Klaus: And if Bonnie's successful, he'll live through his transition. Go on, then. Go and fetch your grimoires and enchantments and what-not. I'll hold on to Elena...for safe-keeping.
[He grabs Elena's arm and looks at her. Elena makes a sign to Bonnie and she leaves with Matt. Rebekah looks at Elena.]
- Rebekah: So this is the latest doppelgänger. The original one was much prettier.
- Klaus: Enough, Rebekah. Take the wolf boy elsewhere, would you?
[Rebekah drags Tyler behind her by his arm and leaves. Klaus looks at Elena.]
- Klaus: Just ignore her. Petty little thing.
[Matt and Bonnie are in the hallway.]
- Matt: What are you going to do?
- Bonnie: I have no idea. The curse he's talking about is a thousand years old. My grimoires don't go back that far.
- Matt: Can you ask those dead witches that helped you before?
- Bonnie: I don't have contact with them anymore...They cut me off when I brought Jeremy back to life. That's it! I can't contact the dead. Jeremy can.
[Damon lays Jeremy on a picnic table outside the car. Katherine and Damon are sitting. Jeremy's still unconscious.]
- Damon: I'm listening.
- Katherine: What if I told you there was a way to kill Klaus? And not Dagger dead. Dead dead.
- Damon: I'd say you were desperate and lying. Or drunk. Or desperate, lying and drunk.
- Katherine: Do you remember my friend Pearl?
- Damon: Vividly.
- Katherine: Centuries ago, she told me about a vampire who knew how to kill Klaus. Then she wouldn't tell me any more.
- Damon: Well, why not?
- Katherine: Because it was her leverage. She knew it was valuable information, and wouldn't share it with me.
- Damon: Well, this is all great...But she's dead.
- Katherine: Which is why I never brought it up. Because she only ever told one other person.
- Damon: Who?
- Katherine: Her daughter. Anna.
- Damon: Also dead.
- Katherine: Which brings us right back around to...
[Jeremy wakes up.]
- Jeremy: To me. Back around to me.
Mystic Falls High School
[Elena is comforting Dana. Stefan enters the gym.]
- Elena: Stefan...
- Stefan: Klaus.
- Klaus: Come to save your damsel, mate?
- Stefan: I came to ask for your forgiveness. And pledge my loyalty.
- Klaus: Well, you broke that pledge once already.
- Stefan: Elena means nothing to me anymore. And whatever you ask of me...I will do.
- Klaus: Fair enough. Let's drink on it. [Pointing to Dana and Chad.] Kill them. What are you waiting for? Kill them.
- Elena: No! Stefan, don't. He's not going to hurt me. He already said...
[Klaus hits her so hard that she falls on the floor. Stefan rushes over to Klaus, his fangs out. Klaus grabs him by the throat.]
- Klaus: She means nothing to you? Your lies just keep piling up.
- Stefan: Let her go! I'll do whatever you want, you have my word!
- Klaus: Your word doesn't mean much. I lived by your word all summer, during which time I never had to resort to this...
[He compels him.]
- Klaus: Stop fighting.
- Stefan: Don't do this, don't do this.
- Klaus: I didn't want to. All I wanted was your allegiance. Now I'm going to have to take it.
- Stefan: Don't...Don't...
[Klaus compels him.]
- Klaus: You will do exactly as I say when I say it. You will not run, you will not hide, you will simply just obey.
- Elena: No. Stefan!
- Klaus: Now kill them. Ripper.
[Stefan vamps out, rushes over to Dana and kills her by drinking her blood.]
- Jeremy: This isn't going to work.
[Katherine's cellphone vibrates. She pulls it out and looks at it. It's a message from Bonnie reading "Where are U?".]
- Katherine: I think that your witchy girlfriend's worried that you've run away with your ghostly lover.
- Damon: Stop with the teenybopper drama. Focus.
- Anna: I'm not helping them.
[Anna is sitting on the picnic table next to Jeremy.]
- Jeremy: No, it's okay to help.
[Katherine and Damon look at each other because they can't see her.]
- Jeremy: They're looking for a way to stop Klaus.
- Anna: I don't care. Katherine is not a friend to you. Neither of them are.
- Damon: What's she saying?
- Jeremy: Well, she doesn't want to help you.
[Katherine whispers to Damon.]
- Katherine: My advice? If you want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs.
[Damon walks up to Jeremy.]
- Damon: Jeremy, I just want you to know, it's nothing personal.
[He takes Jeremy head and hits it against the table.]
- Jeremy: Ow! What the hell?!
- Anna: Jeremy!
- Damon: Anna, I know you can hear me. Tell us what you know. The sooner, the better for your little boyfriend here.
- Anna: They're looking for Mikael.
- Jeremy: Mikael!
[Damon lets go of Jeremy.]
- Katherine: Mikael. Is that his name?
- Damon: Who's Mikael?
- Anna: The vampire who hunts vampires. You don't want to wake him. He will kill all of you.
- Damon: What's she saying?
- Katherine: Hello!
- Jeremy: He's a vampire and a Hunter, and you guys would be idiots to wake him.
[He looks at Anna.]
- Jeremy: What do you mean, wake him?
- Damon: It's time to go find the keys.
- Katherine: Mm-hmm.
Mystic Falls High School
[Caroline wakes up on the floor. Rebekah has her phone.]
- Rebekah: We didn't have mobile telephones in my day. Would have made life a whole lot easier, I suppose.
[She takes a picture of herself.]
- Caroline: Where's Tyler?
- Rebekah: He's dead. Ish.
[Caroline sees him lying behind her.]
- Caroline: What did you do to him?
- Rebekah: Think of it as he's having a nap. When he wakes up, he'll be a hybrid.
[Caroline puts her ear to Tyler's chest to check for a heartbeat. Rebekah is swiping through pictures on the phone and sees a picture of Stefan and Elena.]
- Rebekah: Ugh. Vomit.
[Suddenly she zooms in and sees the necklace around Elena's neck.]
- Rebekah: Is that my neck...
[She gets up and speaks down at Caroline.]
- Rebekah: Why is that doppelgänger bitch wearing my necklace?!
[In the gym Stefan is feeding on Chad.]
- Klaus: It's always nice to see a vampire in his true element. The species has become such a broody lot.
- Elena: No. You did this to him.
- Klaus: I invited him to the party, love. He's the one dancing on the table.
[Rebekah marches in and rushes toward Elena.]
- Rebekah: Where is it?! Where's my necklace?
- Klaus: What are you talking about?
- Rebekah: She has my necklace. Look.
[She gives him the phone so he can see the picture.]
- Klaus: Well, well. More lies.
- Rebekah: Where...is it?
- Elena: I don't have it anymore.
- Rebekah: You're lying!
[She vamps out and bites Elena's neck but Klaus stops her and takes her aside.]
- Klaus: Knock it off!
- Rebekah: Make her tell me where it is, Nik!
[Klaus looks at Elena. She has her hand on her neck.]
- Klaus: Where's the necklace, sweetheart? Be honest.
- Elena: I'm telling the truth. Katherine stole it.
- Klaus: Katerina. Of course. Well, that's unfortunate. If we had the necklace it would make things a whole lot easier for your witch, but since we're doing this the hard way, let's put a clock on it, shall we?
[He puts on the clock. There's a buzzer sound when the clock appears on the board. He goes over to Stefan and compels him.]
- Klaus: Twenty minutes. If Bonnie hasn't found a solution by then, I want you to feed again. Only this time, I want you to feed on Elena. You know you want to.
- Elena: No, Klaus! Don't do this to him!
- Klaus: No one leaves. If she tries to run, fracture her spine.
[Rebekah looks at them and leaves with Klaus.]
[Matt is in the weight room and on the phone with Bonnie.]
- Matt: Did you find Jeremy?
- Bonnie: No! I called him like twenty times.
- Matt: All right, I'll grab my keys. We'll head to his house.
- Bonnie: Okay. I'll meet you by your truck.
[He hangs up. His clothes have been thrown around all over the room.]
- Matt: What the hell?
[He looks in his bag but doesn't find what he's looking for so he follows a trail of clothes on the floor to the pool. His keys are at the bottom of the pool.]
- Matt: You've got to be kidding me!
[He takes his jacket off and removes his shoes and crouches by the edge of the pool. Vicki's behind him but he can't see her.]
- Vicki: Matt! I can help, Matty, but I need you to hear me.
[He shows no signs of hearing her so she kicks one of his shoes and it skims onto the water. Matt sees it and stands up in shock, breathing hard. He looks down at his phone on the floor, picks it up, and sees a text message reading "Unknown: I can help you Matty".]
- Matt: Whoa! Vicki?
[He calls Bonnie.]
- Bonnie: What is taking so long?
[Matt walking out of the weight room and down the hall while carrying a weightlifting belt over his right shoulder and a round barbell weight under his left arm.]
- Matt: This is going to sound crazy, but I think Vicki's trying to reach out to me.
- Bonnie: What?
- Matt: I think she can help us save Tyler.
- Bonnie: No, Jeremy can help us save Tyler.
[Matt heads to the pool room.]
- Matt: We can't find Jeremy. We need to try something else. I have an idea but I'm going to need your help. Meet me at the pool.
- Bonnie: I don't understand.
- Matt: Jeremy can see ghosts because you brought him back from the dead. I need you to do that for me.
- Bonnie: What?! No, Matt, that's crazy!
- Matt: This is going to work, trust me.
- Bonnie: No, Matt, I can't do that kind of magic anymore.
- Matt: You don't need magic, Bonnie. You just have to be better than I was at CPR.
[He puts the belt down and attaches the weight to it with a chain so when he jumps in the water he stays at the bottom. He stands up hugging the weight in front of him, then walks forward into the pool and sinks to the bottom. Some moments later Bonnie runs through the halls and enters the pool area. She sees Matt in the pool, dives in the water, removes the belt from Matt and raises him to the surface. His eyes are open but lifeless.]
[Jeremy is falling asleep. A bloody wound can be seen on his forehead where his head hit the table earlier.]
- Damon: Don't fall asleep, Jer. You might have a concussion.
- Jeremy: Thanks for the concern, dick.
- Katherine: Oh, stop pouting. He took one for the team. Everyone back home will thank you once Klaus is dead.
- Damon: Where's my phone?
- Katherine: Do you need to check in with Elena? Make sure it's okay you pummeled her little baby bro?
- Damon: You know you have it.
- Katherine: What can I say? I needed you present here and now.
[He holds out his hand at her.]
- Damon: Katherine, phone, now.
[She sighs and gives it to him and he looks at it.]
- Damon: Bonnie's been texting me.
- Jeremy: What is it?
- Damon: It's Klaus.
- Katherine: No turning back, Damon.
- Damon: Shut up, Katherine.
- Katherine: Hey, look at the big picture. The best shot at taking out Klaus is by finding Mikael.
[Damon looks at Jeremy and presses the car key to his chest.]
- Damon: Stay with her so Anna can guide you. I'm going back.
[Katherine grabs the keys from Jeremy and turns towards Damon who is walking away.]
- Katherine: You're going to get yourself killed. The Damon I remember wouldn't have been that stupid.
- Damon: I wouldn't have done it for you.
Mystic Falls High School
[Matt is lying by the side of the pool. Bonnie is performing CPR on him.]
- Bonnie: Matt, please! I can't do this. There's nothing else I can do!
[Matt is in between life and death. He opens his eyes and can see Vicki.]
- Vicki: Matt! Matt!
- Matt: Vicki?
- Vicki: Matt. Please!
- Matt: I can see you.
- Vicki: I need you to listen to me very carefully. I don't have much time.
- Matt: Why, what's happening? Where are we?
- Vicki: It doesn't matter. I need you to give Bonnie a message.
[He wakes up and spits out water. Bonnie sits him upright.]
- Bonnie: It's okay. You're okay.
[Stefan and Elena are still in the gym. There's just over six minutes left on the clock.]
- Elena: Caroline's dad! Stefan, he was able to resist compulsion. I don't know how, but he did it. Maybe it's possible.
- Stefan: Yeah, yeah. Maybe it's just mind control, right? Maybe it just takes some focus, a couple decades of training. No big deal.
[He paces around.]
- Elena: Stefan, you can control this. When that buzzer goes off, just...just drink from me.
- Stefan: You don't get it. I can't stop, Elena! I'm a ripper! A ripper doesn't stop! I listen to the words that come out of your mouth, and all I hear is the sound of your heart pumping blood through your body. And when that clock ticks down...I'm going to have to feed on you. And you want to know what's worse? I'm not going to be able to stop.
- Elena: I don't believe that. You can fight it. You just have to want it bad enough.
- Stefan: Why, because I love you?
- Elena: Yeah! That's right, Stefan. Because you love me. You'll fight because after everything that we've been through, you owe me that!
- Stefan: You know what, you're right. You're right. I owe you everything. Because through all of this, you are the one thing that has kept me from giving up; from turning it all off. But I can't help what I am, Elena. The more blood that I get, the more I want, and if I get so much as near yours...You are dead.
[Just under five minutes remain.]
[Caroline, Tyler and Rebekah are in a classroom. Rebekah checks how much time is remaining on Caroline's phone and sees there's three minutes remaining. Suddenly Tyler wakes up.]
- Tyler: Where am I? What happened?
- Caroline: Tyler.
- Rebekah: Don't be shy about it.
- Tyler: What's going on?
- Caroline: Klaus is turning you into a vampire. A hybrid. You're in transition.
- Rebekah: Don't leave out the hard part, sweets. You'll only survive if your witch is successful. If not...You're pretty much dead.
- Caroline: You're going to be okay. Okay? It's going to be okay.
- Rebekah: I wonder how she's doing.
[She looks at the clock on the phone and turns it round to show them. There's two minutes remaining.]
- Rebekah: Tick tock goes the gym clock.
[Matt and Bonnie are in the hallway.]
- Bonnie: As soon as you're feeling better, I'm going to kill you.
- Matt: It worked. I saw her. I saw Vicki.
- Bonnie: You did?
- Matt: She said she had a message for you.
- Bonnie: For me?
- Matt: From the witch that put the hybrid curse on Klaus. She said that Elena shouldn't have survived Klaus' ritual. The hybrids can't transition because Elena's still alive.
- Bonnie: Tyler...
- Matt: He's going to die, isn't he?
- Klaus: I wouldn't be too sure about that.
[He's behind them, leaning against the wall.]
- Klaus: Given the choice, doppelgänger or a hybrid, I go hybrid every time.
[In the gym, there's only sixteen seconds left on the clock.]
- Stefan: Elena, you're going to have run.
- Elena: But Klaus said that if I run...
- Stefan: I know what he said, but if you stay, it won't matter. Elena, please, please, please. Elena, there's no other way.
- Elena: There is another way, Stefan. It's for you to fight.
[A buzzer sounds, signifying that the time has run out.]
- Elena: Stefan...I love you. Fight, Stefan. Don't give up.
- Stefan: I can't hold it.
[He vamps out and rushes at Elena and she screams, but he rushes past her to the opposite wall.]
- Stefan: Elena, run! Go!
[She runs through the school, going from one hallway to the next. Stefan holds on to everything he can so he doesn't have to hurt Elena but he starts rushing out of the gym and crashing from side to side through the hallways. Elena goes through a door, closes it and looks through the small window in it. She then turns around and starts moving but bumps into Klaus.]
- Klaus: We've got to stop meeting like this.
[Stefan enters the cafeteria, sees a broom, takes it and breaks it on his knee. He drops the brush end and holds the remaining makeshift stake in front of him, and stabs himself in the stomach with it. Klaus enters with Elena, and Stefan looks at them.]
- Klaus: Now this is fascinating. I've never seen this before. The only thing stronger than your craving for blood is your love for this one girl. Why don't you turn it off?
[Klaus lets go of Elena.]
- Stefan: No!
[Klaus sits on a nearby table.]
- Klaus: Come on. Your humanity is killing you. All the guilt must be exhausting. Turn it off.
- Stefan: No!
- Elena: Stefan...
- Klaus: You're strong.
[He pulls the stake out of Stefan's body.]
- Klaus: But you're not that strong. Turn. It. Off.
- Stefan: No!
[He pushes Klaus away. But Klaus pushes him against the wall, compels him and yells.]
- Klaus: Turn it off!
[Stefan's face and look change.]
- Elena: What did you do?
- Klaus: I fixed him. But I think a test is in order, don't you?
[He walks behind Elena and looks at Stefan.]
- Klaus: Ripper...Perhaps you'd like a drink.. from the doppelgänger's neck?
[Stefan's face changes and he rushes over to Elena and bites her neck. She screams.]
[Klaus enters the classroom Rebekah, Tyler and Caroline are in.]
- Klaus: Well, the verdict's in. The original witch says the doppelgänger should be dead.
[Rebekah gets up and seems happy.]
- Rebekah: Does that mean we can kill her?
- Klaus: No, I'm fairly certain it means the opposite.
- Rebekah: What?!
[She puts her arms around Caroline from behind and pulls her back, restraining her.]
- Klaus: Call it a hunch...
[He shows a test tube containing blood to Tyler. Rebekah holds Caroline so she can't move.]
- Klaus: Elena's blood. Drink it.
- Caroline: No! No, no, no, Tyler, don't!
- Klaus: If he doesn't feed, he'll die anyway, love. Consider this an experiment. It's okay.
[Tyler struggles but he finally drinks it.]
- Klaus: There we go. Good boy.
[Tyler coughs, rolls over the desk, and falls to the floor, screaming and groaning and writhing. He holds his head and screams and his face finally changes. His eyes are yellow, he has fangs and veins under his eyes.]
- Klaus: Well, that's a good sign.
Mystic Falls Hospital
[It's still nighttime. Elena wakes up in a bed in the hospital. A nurse is with her.]
- Elena: Where am I?
- Nurse: In the hospital, sweetie. You suffered through a terrible ordeal.
- Elena: I have to get out of here.
[She attempts to sit up but the nurse gently stops her.]
- Nurse: Ah. Not an option. You've lost a lot of blood.
[The nurse gestures to a blood bag on the bed next to Elena, and Elena looks at it.]
- Elena: Wait...You're taking my blood?
- Nurse: Of course. It's very important for your friend Klaus.
[Elena starts struggling with the nurse but the nurse injects her with sedatives.]
- Nurse: Don't fight it, sweetie. He told me you need plenty of rest.
[Elena falls back on her pillow, asleep.]
[Klaus and Rebekah in front of the hospital.]
- Rebekah: So the doppelgänger isn't the problem. Her blood is the solution.
- Klaus: Seems so.
- Rebekah: How did you know?
- Klaus: Well, you know how much the original witch hated me. Do you honestly think I would do anything other than the opposite of what she says?
- Rebekah: A thousand years in the grave and she's still screwing with you.
- Klaus: Well, it makes sense if you think about it from her perspective. It was her fail-safe in case I ever broke the hybrid curse. The doppelgänger had to die in order for me to become a hybrid, but if she was dead...
- Rebekah: Then you couldn't use her blood to sire yourself a new species.
- Klaus: Leaving me alone for all time.
- Rebekah: Is that what this is about? Your obsession with hybrids? You just don't want to be alone?
- Klaus: What I want is to take my girl, take my hybrid the hell out of this one-pony town. You know, why don't you, uh, why don't you get the truck? I'll get Elena.
[She leaves. Damon arrives.]
- Klaus: Well, look who finally decided to show up to the party.
- Damon: Where is she?
- Klaus: Elena? Ah, she's making a donation to a greater cause.
[Damon goes toward the hospital but Klaus stops him.]
- Klaus: I'm afraid I can't let you interfere, mate.
- Damon: You'll have to kill me.
- Klaus: Oh, I would love to kill you, but I made a pledge to your brother, and unlike him, I keep my word. Although, you know what, thinking about it now, he probably doesn't care that much anymore.
[He pushes Damon against the hood of a car and is about to kill him.]
- Damon: Don't you want to know about your friend Mikael?
- Klaus: What do you know about Mikael?
- Damon: Just that he knows you're here.
- Klaus: You're bluffing.
- Damon: Katherine and I found him. Consider it our leverage.
[Klaus throws him against another car, and Damon falls on the ground. When Damon gets up, Klaus has disappeared. Damon goes toward the hospital.]
[Inside the hospital, Damon walks down the hallway, looking for Elena. He finally finds her room and sees her inside. She's still asleep. He looks at her and pulls out the tubes in Elena's arm. He looks at the tube which was pumping out her blood and she wakes up.]
- Elena: Damon...
- Damon: Hey.
[He puts his arms under her and lifts her out of the bed, and then he carries her out of the room.]
Mystic Falls High School
[Caroline and Tyler are in the hallway hand-in-hand. He has fully recovered from his transition.]
- Caroline: Are you sure you're okay?
- Tyler: I'm great, Caroline. I mean, like, phenomenal. It's a rush. I wish I could explain it. Everything's just...Better.
[He lifts her up in his arms and spins her around. She laughs. Then he kisses her.]
- Tyler: This is going to be an amazing year.
[He embraces her. She seems worried.]
[Matt's tying his shoelaces in the weight room. Bonnie appears at the doorway.]
- Bonnie: Hey. You ready? I could still use a ride over to Jeremy's.
- Matt: Yeah, just a sec.
- Bonnie: Listen to me. I know you want to help, and I know you miss your sister. But what you did was reckless and stupid.
- Matt: I know. Bonnie. I know. But it worked. It was worth it.
- Bonnie: You don't want to be a part of all this, Matt. You are the only one of us who actually gets to live your life like a normal person, no matter how lost you feel. Don't forget that.
- Matt: I get it, Bonnie. I'll be out in a minute, okay? Vicki's here. Watching me, and I just, uh, I just need a minute to say good-bye, okay?
[She leaves but he notices someone's shadow's on him. He thinks it's Bonnie.]
- Matt: Bon, seriously, I'm not going to do anything stupid, I just...
[He turns his head and sees Vicki.]
- Matt: Vicki?
[She sits down next to him.]
- Vicki: Hi, Matty.
[He smiles at her.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Damon gives Elena a glass of scotch.]
- Damon: Hey, have some bourbon. It'll help you forget.
[She slowly takes the glass and drinks but doesn't seem to like it.]
- Damon: Yeah, it's strong. You know I can help you forget, too. At least the memories you don't want to keep.
- Elena: No. No compulsion. I need to remember. All of it.
[He holds up her necklace.]
- Damon: I stole it back for you.
- Elena: He's really gone this time. I watched it happen. After everything that we went through to get...to help him. Now he's just...gone.
[Damon puts the necklace on the table beside them.]
- Elena: Where were you, Damon?
[He puts his hand on her leg.]
- Damon: I shouldn't have left. I promise you...I will never leave you again.
[They look at each other.]
- Stefan: Well, isn't this cozy?
[They both look aside and see Stefan leaning against a pillar at the edge of the room. Damon gets up. They're surprised.]
- Damon: What are you doing here, brother?
[Stefan walks into the room to the drink table and pours himself a drink.]
- Stefan: Last I checked, I live here. Klaus is gone, but he's asked me to keep watch on you until he returns. From now on, you're under my protection.
[He looks at Elena, holds up his glass to Damon and takes a drink.]
- Stefan: Mmm, by all means. Carry on.
[He walks out of the room. Damon and Elena look at each other.]
[Katherine and Jeremy are in front of a crypt.]
- Katherine: How do you know that Anna wasn't tricking you?
- Jeremy: This is the place. It's the oldest wing of the largest cemetery in Charlotte. She said that a witch entombed him here in the nineties.
[They look through the door window. There's a tomb inside.]
- Jeremy: Look there.
[Katherine breaks open the double doors. She looks at the tomb and pushes the top slab off it. Mikael is lying in it, mummified and chained up. As soon as the tomb is opened, he opens his eyes.]