Mystic Falls Hospital
[Tyler is sleeping in a hospital bed while a police officer stands guard outside in the hall by the door to his room. When the officer hears a noise down the hallway, he walks around the corner to investigate. After looking around a bit, he starts to walk back towards Tyler's room, but he is attacked by Connor. Tyler hears the commotion and wakes up. In the hall, Connor uses a sleeper hold on the officer until he passes out and slowly lays him on the ground. Tyler listens for any more noise. Suddenly, Connor enters his hospital room. He looks over at the bed, but Tyler has disappeared. Connor walks into the room and turns around to find Tyler hiding in the corner. He goes in to attack Connor, but Connor grabs him and stabs him in the neck with a syringe before injecting him with something, temporarily paralyzing Tyler. He lays Tyler down on the hospital bed.]
- Connor: Don't bother. It's a paralytic.
[Connor lifts up Tyler's lips and sticks another syringe slowly into his gums to withdraw several milliliters of his werewolf venom. Tyler groans in pain until Connor takes the needle out of his mouth and pats Tyler on the face. He then exits the room. Tyler grunts and growls, attempting to fight against the paralytic. After a long moment, he finally manages to super speed to the door to chase after him, but when he gets to the hallway, Connor has already gone.]
[Connor is in his trailer, where he's using a beaker and a bunsen burner to distill the werewolf venom he stole from Tyler. He slices an apple with his hunting knife and starts to eat it while he fiddles with the distillation set-up. He then sits down at his little table, which is covered in newspaper clippings and other files, and picks up one of the newspaper articles that mentions the shooting at the Town Council memorial. Laying next to him on the table is the letter Pastor Young left for April, on top of a note Connor wrote that says "Tyler Lockwood, Vampire + Werewolf." He sets the article down and picks up two files, one labeled "Jeremy Gilbert" and one labeled "Elena Gilbert" before starting to read the file on Jeremy first.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[It's daytime. Damon opens the front door of the house. Stefan is outside, fixing up a motorcycle.]
- Damon: Good day for a midlife crisis. 164 years, I'd say you're due.
- Stefan: [sits on the motorcycle] Elena's transition to vampire has been a little depressing. I'm gonna help her have some fun.
- Damon: [sarcastically] Oh. Those who can't do, teach.
[Damon walks out onto the porch.]
- Stefan: [rolls his eyes] Ah, I see we're still fighting. Got it. Where you going?
- Damon: That hunter jacked Tyler Lockwood of his werewolf venom last night, so basically, he's got vampire poison in a bottle. And I'm gonna find him, and I'm gonna eat him.
- Stefan: [stands up] I'll go with you.
- Damon: I don't want your help. I just want to kill this guy and get the hell out of town. Wasn't that the deal? Whoever Elena doesn't choose leaves?
- Stefan: That was before she turned.
- Damon: And I stayed to help. If I take you punching me as the first clue, I'm not wanted here anymore.
- Stefan: [sighs] Listen, you blood-shared with my girlfriend, and I punched you in the face. You deserved it. Why don't you stop being dramatic?
- Damon: No, brother, dramatic would be leaving before I kill this hunter.
[Damon leaves. Stefan sighs in frustration.]
Mystic Falls High School
[Elena is leaning against a wall in a small alcove outside of the school when Matt approaches her.]
- Matt: [smiles] Kind of weird, doing this in our old makeout spot.
- Elena: Thank you for doing this. I can't keep anything else down.
- Matt: It's okay. I kind of owe you my life, remember?
- Elena: Yeah, but I didn't make Stefan save your life so that I could turn you into a human blood bag.
- Matt: Elena, please, just...[He rolls up his sleeve and extends his arm towards her.] Let me do this for you.
[They stare at each other for a moment. Elena grabs his arm and bites into his wrist so she can feed on him. As soon as she begins to feel the bloodlust take over, she stops and lets go of him. Matt looks down at his wrist.]
- Matt: Was that enough?
- Elena: [wipes the blood off her face] No. But, if I had anymore, I'm afraid I wouldn't stop. Here.
[Elena takes out a bandage from her purse and applies it to Matt's wrist.]
- Elena: Thank you.
[Matt nods at her. The bell rings. Elena jumps down onto a table and then to the ground. Matt jumps down beside her. They begin to walk across the school grounds.]
- Matt: So, you really think school is the best place for you right now?
- Elena: The vampire hunter knows that Damon's a vampire and that I know Damon. Hiding at home would be more suspicious. Besides, I want to be here. It's my senior year. I survived this long, there's no way I'm bailing before graduation.
[Elena sees a pamphlet on the windshield of a car reading "Mandatory Curfew All Ages Commencing @ 10 PM Until Further Notice" which is issued by the Police Department and picks it up so she can read it.]
- Elena: [confused] Town called for curfew?
- Matt: Tyler got shot in front of half the town. Everyone's a little freaked.
- Elena: If only they knew the real story.
[Carol and Tyler walk into the house. Two men are standing in the foyer and Tyler immediately becomes suspicious.]
- Tyler: Who the hell are you two?
- Carol: Tyler, it's okay. They're here for your protection.
- Tyler: [incredulous] More deputies?
[Klaus enters the room from the parlor. He has another hybrid following behind him.]
- Klaus: Not exactly.
- Tyler: [sighs] They're hybrids.
- Klaus: I was halfway to Chicago when I heard you were attacked. I had hoped to leave Mystic Falls for good, but duty calls.
- Tyler: Nice to know you care.
- Klaus: I don't. I should have killed you for the little stunt you and your friends pulled. Stopping my heart, leaving me in a coffin to rot.
- Tyler: Yeah, well you used my body as an escape hatch, then kissed my girlfriend. So, maybe we're even.
- Klaus: Not even close. But, you hybrids are a dying breed. I can't make more of you, and I won't have anyone taking liberties with the ones I have left.
[Klaus begins to walk off.]
- Klaus: Consider them your new bodyguards.
[He points at the three hybrids in the room and walks out.]
Mystic Falls High School
[Elena and Stefan sit down in their desks. Stefan looks at Elena, who is staring at the front of the room, looking like she is about to cry. Stefan looks at the front as well, noticing the chalkboard with Alaric's handwritten notes on it. He sighs, realizing what she must be saddened by.]
- Stefan: It's the first time we've been back in Alaric's classroom...
- Elena: First period, and I'm ready to bawl my eyes out.
[Rebekah enters the classroom with flyers.]
- Rebekah: Morning, everyone.
- Student: Morning, Bekah.
- Elena: [mutters] Just like that, I'm no longer feeling sentimental.
- Rebekah: So, I'm throwing a little anti-curfew party at my new house. Starts at fifth period and goes 'til whenever. Spread the word.
[She hands out a couple of the flyers and turns to Elena.]
- Rebekah: You're welcome to join, Elena, if you'd like to bury the hatchet.
[She hands Elena a flyer. Elena takes it.]
- Elena: It's a pretty enormous hatchet.
- Rebekah: [rolls her eyes] Well, I'm feeling generous of spirit.
- Elena: [looks at the flyer] New house, huh? Did your brother finally kick you out?
- Rebekah: He didn't kick me out, I left.
- Elena: So, you left the only person on earth that actually likes you?
[Rebekah looks at Stefan.]
- Rebekah: Well, your boyfriend liked me once. [Stefan looks up at her, clearly not happy to be dragged into it.] Actually, a lot more than once.
[Rebekah smirks. Elena looks furious.]
- Stefan: Why are you still in town, Rebekah? Don't you have anywhere else to go?
- Rebekah: Well, history's my favorite class. Actually, where is Mr. Saltzman...?
[She pauses dramatically. Elena's rage intensifies.]
- Rebekah: [smiles] Oh, that's right, I killed him.
[Elena loses her temper and throws her pencil at Rebekah's face. Rebekah grabs it and throws it back at Elena, which impales her in the shoulder. They glare at each other. Elena removes the pencil from her chest and gets up before anyone else in class notices what just happened. Stefan and Elena walk out into the hallway. Elena is still visibly furious as Stefan gently holds her arm and tries to calm her down.]
- Stefan: Just breathe, just breathe. You haven't felt this kind of rage before.
- Elena: I hate her.
[Elena and Stefan stop walking and stand face-to-face.]
- Elena: I didn't think I was capable of hate, but I hate her, and I hate that I hate her.
[Elena looks over Stefan's shoulder.]
- Elena: That's the hunter.
[Stefan turns around. Connor is in the hallway, talking to a woman.]
- Stefan: What the hell is he doing here?
[Connor starts to walk towards Jeremy, who is at his locker.]
- Elena: Jeremy. No.
[Elena begins to walk towards Jeremy. Stefan stops her.]
- Stefan: No, no, no. Hey, hey, let me get this. [He shows her bloody hand to her.] Okay? I got that.
[Stefan walks towards Jeremy and Connor. Elena walks into the restroom. She takes off her sweater before grabbing some tissues and rinsing her blood-soaked hands and shoulder with water. After a moment, a girl named Heather walks into the restroom behind Elena with her hand clamped over her neck.]
- Heather: There you are. Rebekah sent me to see if you were okay.
[Elena throws away the tissues.]
- Elena: [aggravated] I'm fine, Heather.
- Heather: I'm not.
[Elena turns around and looks at her, confused. She sees blood dripping from Heather's neck underneath her hand. Elena starts to breathe heavily as she tries to resist the girl's blood. Rebekah enters the restroom.]
- Rebekah: What's wrong, Elena? Getting hungry?
[Heather removes her hand from her neck, making the blood easier to see and smell.]
- Elena: [panics] No, get-get away from me.
[Rebekah wipes at the blood from Heather's neck with her finger.]
- Rebekah: But she's so delicious.
[She places her finger with blood on Elena's mouth. Elena slaps her hand away.]
- Elena: You shouldn't be here. This is my school. It's my life. And I'm not gonna let you ruin it!
- Rebekah: It's my school now. My life. Maybe you're the one who shouldn't be here. And I couldn't help but overhear that there's a vampire hunter roaming the hallways.
[Rebekah rubs her hand over Heather's bloody neck wound.]
- Rebekah: How inconvenient for you.
[Rebekah rubs her bloody hand all over Elena's face. Elena vamps out and growls.]
- Rebekah: See you in gym. I think it's dodgeball day.
[Rebekah and Heather leave the bathroom.]
[In another part of the school, Jeremy is in a classroom with Connor, where Connor is flipping through the file he has on Jeremy.]
- Jeremy: Do you mind telling me who you are and why I'm here? I mean, I'm happy to miss Bio but...
- Connor: I looked into your family's history. You and your sister have been through quite a lot.
[Connor throws the folder down onto the desk in which Jeremy is sitting.]
- Jeremy: [uneasy] What are you, a social worker? Why do you care?
- Connor: Because you saw this.
[Connor rolls up the sleeve of his shirt, revealing the tattoo that only Jeremy could see. Jeremy looks confused.]
- Jeremy: It's a tattoo, big deal.
- Connor: I call this a Hunter's mark. As in vampire hunter.
- Jeremy: [plays dumb] A-a vampire hunter? [He laughs] Look, I'm sorry, man, but...
[Jeremy gets up and heads for the door until Connor calls after him.]
- Connor: Jeremy. I know your family's history in this town, so you playing dumb just makes you look dumb.
[Jeremy glances out the classroom door. Stefan is outside, listening in to the conversation as he walks away.]
- Jeremy: Why the show and tell? I don't even know you.
- Connor: Because it's invisible to anyone but another hunter or a potential hunter. Find me a vampire, I'll train you, teach you how to do what I do. I'm on Hudson off Route 13. Don't show up unless you find one.
[Connor begins to walk towards the door.]
- Jeremy: Well, how am I supposed to do that?
- Connor: Why don't you start by asking your friend with the bandage on his neck?
[Connor leaves the room.]
[Damon opens the door to Connor's trailer. He stands on the steps and sees if he can enter without an invitation, and smiles when he sees that he can. He enters the trailer and sees the distillation setup and newspaper clippings, which he starts to rifle through when he's suddenly shot by two arrows. He yells in pain and goes to pull out the arrow in his leg, but sees that it is attached to a claymore explosive device by a wire. When he decides to instead pull out the arrow in his chest, he sees that arrow is also attached to a similar bomb in the opposite direction. Realizing that he's stuck, Damon groans in exasperation.]
- Damon: Um...Yeah.
Mystic Falls High School
[Stefan and Caroline are sitting outside at a table while Elena paces back and forth in front of them.]
- Caroline: [to Elena] It was a valiant first day effort. No one will judge you if you want to go home.
- Elena: I don't want to go home. I want to take the white oak stake and kill her. That's how mad I am. She made me murderous!
- Stefan: How about we just leave the murdering to Damon?
[Stefan gets up and walks towards Elena.]
- Elena: And-and then do what? Ignore her to death?
- Stefan: [sighs] Look, she's trying to make herself feel better. She knows that everybody hates her, so she's trying to hate harder. Tell you what, let's just skip the rest of the day. Go have some fun. I feel like this day is severely lacking in fun.
[Elena looks at Caroline. Caroline smiles, and Elena reluctantly nods in agreement.]
- Elena: Yeah. Okay, fine.
- Elena: Then, we'll go to her party and show her that she can't intimidate me. I just have to go home and change first.
[She waves goodbye to Caroline and leaves. Stefan turns around and looks at Caroline.]
- Caroline: Does she seem a little off-balance to you?
- Stefan: Yeah, she's channeling all her emotions into rage. It makes her feel like she has purpose. I used to do that too when I was...you know.
- Caroline: Ripper-you?
- Stefan: Yeah. She needs to come to terms with it, confront it, let it in, before she can let it go.
- Caroline: [nods] You're good at this, you know that? You saved my vampire life, now you're saving hers.
[They start to walk off together.]
- Caroline: You should write a book. Go on The View.
- Stefan: Hm.
[Tyler is lying on the couch, tossing a football in the air from hand to hand, when a girl enters the room behind him.]
- Hayley: So, this is where you've been hiding, huh?
[Tyler turns around and sees her. He gets up.]
- Tyler: [surprised] Hayley?!
- Hayley: Hey, Lockwolf!
[They hug each other tightly for a long moment. When she pulls away, she cups his neck in her hands before she shoves him roughly in the chest.]
- Hayley: Ass! I thought Klaus killed you.
- Tyler: I should have called.
- Hayley: From your trailer park in Florida? You liar!
[She laughs and looks around as she sits on a desk.]
- Hayley: You're totally loaded!
[Tyler says nothing.]
- Hayley: I chained you up all over the Appalachians. I talked you through every turn. I helped you break the sire bond. You could have told me your real story.
- Tyler: I didn't want anybody to follow me back.
[Hayley frowns at him in confusion.]
- Tyler: Werewolves weren't safe around Klaus, and you shouldn't be here, either. His hybrids are all over this house, and so is he.
[Hayley stands to face him.]
- Hayley: I know. One of his hybrids is with a pack I ran with. He called me and told me that he was coming to protect a guy named Tyler, and I thought, tsk, what are the chances?
[They stare at each other for a moment without saying anything.]
- Hayley: Well, the least you could do is pour me some fancy, rich people scotch.
- Tyler: Sure! Absolutely.
[Tyler walks over to the bar to pour her a drink, and Hayley falls down onto the couch.]
[Meredith enters the trailer to find Damon still stuck in Connor's trap, though she doesn't notice the arrows attaching Damon to the claymore mines right away.]
- Meredith: Why were you being so cryptic?
- Damon: Come in. Close the door.
- Meredith: [finally notices the explosives] Tell me that is not a bomb.
- Damon: Okay. It's a kitten. It's an adorable, exploding kitten.
- Meredith: [freaked out] Why didn't you call your brother?
- Damon: Because I'm proud, and stubborn, and...oh, look! You're already here.
[Meredith glares at him.]
- Damon: Come on, you're not gonna get hurt. All I need you to do is be doctorly and cut out the arrow. I'd do it myself, but if I move...
[Damon gently touches the string attached to the arrow buried in his thigh.]
- Meredith: [scared] Don't!
[Damon pulls his hand away and makes a soft *kabooming* noise to demonstrate his point.]
- Meredith: Okay.
[Meredith grabs a knife lying on the nearby table before she moves behind Damon and puts the point of the knife next to the entry point of the arrow going through Damon's back.]
- Meredith: Okay.
[While Meredith is cutting around the arrow, Damon picks up the letter from Pastor Young to April.]
- Damon: So, how well did you know Pastor Young?
- Meredith: He was a patient of mine. He was always a nice guy.
- Damon: Nice, crazy guy. He wrote a letter about sacrifice and war brewing in Mystic Falls.
[He holds up the letter so Meredith can skim in while she works.]
- Meredith: What does he mean, "a greater evil is coming"? [She continues to use the knife to dig around the arrow in Damon's back.] Don't we have great enough evil already?
- Damon: [shrugs gently] You'd think.
[Damon's phone starts to ring. When he sees it's Elena, he ignores the call. Meredith notices this response, but continues working on freeing him.]
- Meredith: How did you get stuck on hunter duty?
- Damon: [sarcastically] Stefan had a Physics test.
- Meredith: [smiles sympathetically] You are a good brother.
- Damon: [smirks] I'm the bad brother.
- Meredith: You're strung up to a bomb while Stefan plays vampire with the girl who broke your heart. But, you're doing a very good job of acting like it doesn't suck.
[Meredith finishes prying out the arrow as much as she can to allow Damon to remove it without the bomb exploding.]
- Meredith: Okay, I think that should be good.
[Damon yanks out the arrow in one swift motion and drops it on the table.]
Mystic Falls High School
[Matt is at his locker. Rebekah walks up to him, looking guilty.]
- Rebekah: Hey, Matt.
[Matt ignores her.]
- Rebekah: So, I'm having a little party. You should ditch last period and come.
[Matt pulls out a notebook and continues to ignore her.]
- Rebekah: Look, I know you're still angry I ran you off the bridge, but you have to understand-- Alaric killed my brother. He was trying to kill me. I had to do something to stop him. I never wanted to hurt you.
[Matt looks at Rebekah, scoffs, closes his locker and walks off. Rebekah, with a saddened look on her face, walks in the other direction. Matt turns down another hallway where Connor is leaning against the wall.]
- Connor: [gesturing to Matt's arm] What did you say last time? Hickies?
[Matt stops and turns around to face Connor. Connor walks up to him and grabs Matt's arm. He rips the bandage off from his wrist and points at the bitemarks.]
- Connor: Kinky girlfriend. Who are you letting feed on you?
- Matt: I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know where I got that.
- Connor: Are you sure about that?
[Connor grabs Matt and throws him against the wall. He grabs a knife from his belt and places the blade against Matt's throat.]
- Connor: Tell me which one of your high school friends is a bloodsucker.
[Connor applies more pressure to Matt's throat.]
- Matt: [gasps] It's Rebekah. Rebekah Mikaelson.
[Connor nods and releases Matt from his knife blade, but without taking his hand off from around his throat.]
- Connor: Thank you. And when you wake up, she'll be long gone.
[He pulls Matt away from the wall, then slams him back into it, knocking him unconscious.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Elena is searching through a set of drawers in Damon's room when Damon returns from being freed from Connor's trap.]
- Damon: Hope you plan on cleaning this up.
[Elena turns around, startled.]
- Elena: I need bourbon to get through Rebekah's party. Yours is better than Stefan's.
- Damon: Top drawer in the dresser.
- Elena: [confused]...Thanks.
[Elena walks over to the drawer and opens it. Damon pulls out a silver flask from his pocket and swigs from it. Elena turns back around.]
- Elena: You keep alcohol in your underwear drawer?
[She pulls out a pair of briefs and holds them up.]
- Damon: No.
[Elena throws the briefs back into the drawer.]
- Damon: But, you weren't looking for alcohol, were you? [Elena looks at him guiltily] Do you think I'd actually leave the last remaining white oak stake where any vampire could just walk in and take it?
[Damon unbuttons his shirt to get ready to change into clean clothes Elena sees blood from the healed wound caused by arrow in his shoulder.]
- Elena: What happened to you?
- Damon: Hunter mishap.
- Elena: [walks over to Damon] You know he was at my school today?
- Damon: Yep. Jeremy told me.
- Elena: Why were you talking to Jeremy?
- Damon: Don't worry about it.
[Damon begins to take his shirt off.]
- Elena: Damon, don't bring him into this.
- Damon: Cherish the thought that he might actually be useful, Elena.
[Damon has removed his shirt and begins to undo the belt on his pants. Elena looks down awkwardly.]
- Damon: You staying for the show or...?
[Damon unbuttons his pants. Elena snaps back to reality and walks out of the room.]
- Elena: [determined] I'm finding that stake.
[Connor is outside of his trailer, carving what looks like an adaptation of the Norse vegevisr symbol into a wooden stake. He hears Jeremy approaching and calls out to him.]
- Connor: You got a vampire for me?
- Jeremy: No, but I know where you can find one. There's a doctor, Meredith Fell. She uses vampire blood in surgery. I think she has a deal with one, her blood for his.
[Connor gets up.]
- Connor: [annoyed] You see, that's the problem. When a town protects one vampire, word spreads. More come, they feed, they turn. Soon, you got a full on infestation. Your high school, for example, is crawling with them. One's even throwing a party.
- Jeremy: Is that where we're going?
[Connor closes the door to his trailer and begins to walk away. Jeremy follows him.]
- Connor: Nah, we're going to the hospital. If any of those people are drinking at that high school party, I've got it covered. They'll be dead by sundown.
[There are kids outside, drinking from a keg and having a good time. Elena and Stefan make their way to the entrance of the house and step through the doorway.]
- Stefan: Wow, we didn't have to be invited in. I wonder who used to live here.
- Elena: Or who died here.
[They stop walking. Elena sees Rebekah and a look of rage spreads across her face.]
- Stefan: You're fixating.
- Elena: No, I'm just quietly hating.
[A boy walks past Stefan and Elena with a cup of beer in his hand. Stefan compels the boy.]
- Stefan: This is mine now.
[The boy hands Stefan his cup of beer.]
- Stefan: Thank you.
[Stefan hands the drink to Elena.]
- Stefan: Why don't you have a drink? It'll help you let go.
[Elena takes the cup from Stefan. She's about to take a sip when she sees April walking across the room.]
- Elena: April's here. I'm gonna go say hi.
- Stefan: And I am going to find something a little stronger than beer.
- Elena: [smiles] Okay.
[Elena and Stefan walk off in opposite directions.]
[Tyler opens the front door. Caroline is standing outside. She giggles when she sees him and puts her arms around his neck.]
- Caroline: I ditched Rebekah's ditching party.
[She kisses him and looks behind him, noticing all the guards around the house.]
- Caroline: [confused] What's with all the testosterone?
- Tyler: Hybrids. I'm on house arrest.
- Caroline: Says who? Your mom? [She lowers her voice to a whisper] Come on, let's sneak out.
- Tyler: Not my mom, Caroline.
[Caroline looks confused, and Tyler gives her a look, which leads her to realize what is going on.]
- Caroline: [exasperated] You're kidding me. Klaus?
[Upstairs in the study, Hayley picks up a picture and looks at it when Klaus appears in the doorway behind her.]
- Klaus: You're a new face.
[Hayley turns around and looks at him.]
- Hayley: And I take it from your accent you're an old one. Klaus.
- Klaus: [smiles] My reputation precedes me. Hopefully not all bad.
- Hayley: [shrugs] A little bad. Mostly repulsive.
[Klaus moves closer towards her.]
- Klaus: So, you're a friend of Tyler's? That's strange, he's never mentioned you.
[Klaus is distracted by their conversation when he begins to overhear Tyler talking to Caroline in the front foyer with his hybrid hearing.]
- Tyler: You should go to the party. I'll be fine here.
- Caroline: But, I'd rather hang with you.
- Tyler: Trust me, I am no fun right now.
[Klaus has a devilish look on his face as he looks back at Hayley.]
- Klaus: And I think I know why.
[Elena walks into the kitchen to find April standing at the island in the center of the room, and walks over to greet her.]
- Elena: Hey.
- April: Elena! Thank God, I know someone.
- Elena: I'm glad you came. [Elena offers her a drink.] Are you thirsty?
- April: [smiles] You know, you used to read me bedtime stories.
- Elena: And now I'm giving you beer. Sounds about right.
[April laughs. She takes the cup from Elena and takes a drink.]
- April: Mmm, if my dad could see me now.
- Elena: How are you doing with everything?
- April: I'm trudging through my denial phase. Dreaming up conspiracy theories.
[Elena frowns sadly, and April blurts out her ideas.]
- April: My first weekend home from boarding school, my dad smelled cigarette smoke on my clothes before I even walked in the door. He would have noticed a gas leak in the house.
- Elena: So, you-you don't think that it was an accident?
- April: I know there's no investigation, that everyone's calling it an accident. But, the shooting at the church? It just feels like...
[Rebekah walks in and joins them.]
- Rebekah: Like something wicked this way comes? I know, right? It's like this town's cursed or something.
- Elena: [uncomfortable] Hey, April, why don't you go look around the house, and I'll find you in a little bit?
- April: [confused] Okay.
[April leaves the kitchen.]
- Rebekah: Did I forget to uninvite you?
- Elena: Did you blow up her dad's house to get revenge on the Council?
- Rebekah: [scoffs] I don't give a damn about some dodgy, middle-aged Council. You come into my house, throw around false accusations and then you have the nerve to drink my beer?
[Rebekah takes the cup from Elena's hand and smirks as she takes a sip of the beer. Elena hears a sizzling noise and looks down at her hand to see that the sun is burning her. She then notices that her ring is missing.]
- Elena: My ring!
[Rebekah smiles. Elena super-speeds into a dark corner of the room as Rebekah holds up Elena's daylight ring.]
- Elena: Give it back!
- Rebekah: Get it yourself.
[Rebekah throws the ring down the drain of the sink.]
- Elena: No!
[Elena moves out of the dark but is yet again burned by the sun. Rebekah turns on the garbage disposal and walks out of the room. Elena takes a deep breath and super-speeds towards the sink before sticking her hand down the drain. Her flesh is burning, but she manages to grab the ring out of the drain and put it back on her finger just in time. Elena is visibly furious and walks over to her bag on the counter top, where she takes out the white oak stake. She starts to leave the kitchen to follow after Rebekah, but Stefan suddenly appears right in front of her.]
- Stefan: Damon give that to you?
- Elena: Yes. Reluctantly. [Stefan gives her a silent look] Stefan, she's-she's not gonna stop. She's just gonna keep pushing and pushing--
- Stefan: [interrupts her] Well, if you want to kill her-- [Stefan steps aside and gestures towards the hallway]-- I'm not gonna stop you. But see, here's what'll happen: it'll feel really good for about ten seconds, and then after that, tens of thousands of vampires all over the world will start to die. Every vampire she ever turned will die. See, rage is a really powerful feeling. But guilt? Take it from me-- it'll destroy you. So, you can either go after her, or you can get on the back of my motorcycle and we can get the hell out of here.
[Stefan smiles and holds out his hand. Elena sighs reluctantly and hands him the stake before they both walk out of the house and down into the front yard. Rebekah is standing on the porch when they two pass her on their way out.]
- Rebekah: [fake-pouts] Leaving so soon?
[Elena stops and turns around to face Rebekah.]
- Elena: No. Not just yet.
[Elena looks at Stefan and hands him her bag.]
- Elena: I never got a drink.
[She looks at Rebekah, smirking, and walks over to the keg. She places her hands on the sides of the keg and does a handstand. Someone sticks the beer hose in her mouth and she starts to drink as everyone around her starts shouting, "Chug! Chug! Chug!" After a few moments, Elena eventually comes back to the ground and wipes beer from her mouth.]
- Elena: [smiles] Now I'm ready to go.
[Stefan hands Elena her bag and they walk away together. Rebekah watches them leave, but her vision suddenly starts to blur, which worries her. She walks back into the house and looks in the mirror to see darkened veins start to pulse throughout her face.]
- Rebekah: [horrified] What the hell?
[Tyler walks into the office to find Klaus sitting in a chair with his feet up on the desk.]
- Klaus: [smirks] She's quite fetching, that Hayley.
- Tyler: [unamused] Where is she?
- Klaus: Oh, she had to run, but don't worry, I had her take the back door so Caroline wouldn't see.
[Tyler walks towards him.]
- Tyler: Whatever you think you know...
- Klaus: I don't know anything, but I've put together a pretty convincing picture. [He smiles smugly at Tyler] Why don't you tell me where my imagination deviates from reality?
[Klaus gets up and walks towards Tyler, circling around him as he speaks.]
- Klaus: You went off to the Appalachians to break my sire-bond. There, you met a pack of werewolves, begged them for help. Among them was a girl. She was gorgeous, with the same animal instincts as you. Emotions ran high, inhibitions ran low--
- Tyler: [interrupts him] --Stop it!--
- Klaus: [ignores him] --Then, in a moment of weakness, the thick sexual tension became something much more real.
[Tyler turns around and faces Klaus.]
- Tyler: I said stop!
- Klaus: [gleefully] And Caroline has no idea.
[Tyler looks flabbergasted, but their conversation is cut off when Tyler's phone starts to ring. Klaus picks up the phone, sees that it's Damon calling Tyler, and smirks as he sits down in the chair and answers it for him.]
- Klaus: Hello, Damon.
- Damon: [confused] Klaus? Where's Tyler?
- Klaus: Tyler's otherwise occupied, making big decisions about honesty and whatnot. Is there anything I can do?
- Damon: I'm going after the vampire hunter, so if he'd like to join...?
- Klaus: He wouldn't. I, however...
[Stefan and Elena are on Stefan's motorcycle, riding through the country. Elena removes her arms from around Stefan's waist and puts them on his shoulders so she can stand up on the seat. Once her feet are balanced, she lets go of Stefan and spreads her arms out wide so she can revel in the feel of the breeze rushing past her.]
Mystic Falls Hospital
[Meredith is walking down a hallway, wearing a large, very conspicuous bandage on her neck. Jeremy and Connor follow her as Meredith opens the door to a room and walks in.]
- Jeremy: That's her.
- Connor: Stay here.
[Connor walks past Jeremy and enters the supply storeroom that Meredith just entered. Once inside, he finds that Meredith is already gone, but he turns when he senses someone else in the room.]
- Connor: Is a hospital really the best place for a germaphobe?
[Damon walks out from behind a rack of medical supplies.]
- Damon: Did I say that I was a germaphobe? Pft, sorry, I meant vampire.
[Connor pulls out a gun to shoot Damon, but is struck by an arrow. He drops his gun and bends down to pick it up. When he does so, he's shot by another arrow. He looks at both the arrows and sees they are attached to the claymore bombs from his trailer.]
- Damon: Stings, doesn't it?
[Connor attempts to grab his gun again, but someone kicks it out of the way. Connor looks up and sees Klaus.]
- Klaus: Hello, mate.
Salvatore Boarding House
[In Stefan's bedroom, Elena pushes Stefan down onto his bed and straddles him. They start to kiss passionately. Elena sits back up and looks down at him. Stefan wants to sit up as well (to start kissing Elena again), but Elena pushes him back down on the bed. Elena starts to vamp-out(maybe she was trying to make things kinky). Stefan looks like he's a little worried so he grabs her and vamp-speeds himself on top of her. They start kissing again. Stefan starts to kiss Elena's lips then one side of Elena's neck, then chest, then the other side of her neck. Suddenly, he stops and Elena looks up at him. She sees Damon on top of her instead of Stefan.]
- Elena: No!
[She pushes "Damon" off of her. Stefan is both startled and hurt by this.]
- Stefan: [worried] Are you okay?
[Elena breathes heavily. She grabs her arm and pulls up her sleeve. There are dark red and black marks creeping up her arm.]
- Elena: Stefan. What's wrong with me?
[She pulls up her other sleeve. Stefan is worried.]
- Stefan: [horrified] Damon said the hunter had werewolf venom.
- Elena: Oh my God.
[Both Stefan and Elena look very worried.]
[Rebekah is sitting at a desk in her room. She looks down at her arm, which is marked up with darkened blood vessels just like Elena's. Matt walks up and leans against the frame of the doorway. Rebekah sees him standing there through the mirror.]
- Matt: You don't look so hot.
- Rebekah: Whatever it is, it's not the white oak stake, so it can't kill me.
[She starts to get up.]
- Rebekah: I'm surprised you came to my party.
[Matt walks into the room.]
- Matt: Well, I thought about it. You explained why you ran me off the bridge, so the least I could do is explain how I feel. The truth is Rebekah, I think you're amazing.
- Matt: You've had a thousand years to learn, to grow, and to start fresh. And somehow you've managed to throw it all away. Now you're alone. You're compelling your friends. Your brother hates you. You whine about not finding love. The reason you don't find love is because you don't deserve it.
[Rebekah becomes so hurt and upset that she impulsively rips out Matt's heart. He instantly dies and falls to the ground, and Rebekah stares in horror at the heart in her hands before dropping it onto the floor. She blinks, almost in a daze, and when she looks around the room, there is no sight of Matt's body anywhere, revealing that it was only a hallucination because of the werewolf venom. Rebekah seems both relieved and terrified.]
Mystic Falls Hospital
[Connor is attempting to pull the arrow out from his side. Damon and Klaus are watching him.]
- Damon: Keep it up, buddy. We'll be scraping you off the ceiling.
- Connor: You two are gonna kill me anyway.
- Klaus: Well, let's not be too hasty. I feel like we're just getting to know each other!
- Damon: Let's start with the basics. Where are you from? What do you know? Maybe you can cue me in on this "greater evil," because I've fought this guy-- [He points at Klaus]-- and there's nothing more evil than that.
[Damon hands Klaus the letter Pastor Young wrote to April that he stole from Connor's trailer.]
- Klaus: [smiles in amusement] Yeah, truth be told, I'm as evil as it gets.
- Connor: I'm not telling you anything. And-- if you think if you kill me, it's gonna be over-- there's another waiting to take my place.
- Damon: See, this is what I like to hear; vague threats, ominous prophecies, disappearing tattoos.
[Connor looks up at them. Klaus looks down at Connor and stops smirking.]
- Klaus: What do you mean, tattoos?
- Damon: Don't bother, you can't see the damn thing.
[Klaus kneels down next to Connor.]
- Klaus: There's more to you than meets the eye, isn't there?
[Connor looks at him. He attempts to stake Klaus, but Klaus is too quick and catches his arm.]
- Klaus: Nice try, but I'm faster than your average vampire.
[Klaus twists his arm and grabs the stake out of his hand. He sees the mark carved into the wood and recognizes it.]
- Klaus: You're one of the Five.
- Damon: The what?
- Connor: And I'm faster than your average hunter.
[Damon sees that Connor is about to pull the string to the bomb and rushes out of the room, leaving Connor and Klaus behind. The bomb explodes and Damon is thrown through the air, landing face down on the floor outside the room. He looks behind him as the massive fireball disperses.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Elena is lying in Stefan's bed, looking incredibly ill. Stefan is on his phone.]
- Stefan: Come on Klaus, where the hell are you?
[Stefan hangs up his phone and sits on the bed, next to Elena.]
- Stefan: Hey.
[Elena smiles at him. She feels the werewolf venom running through her and shuts her eyes. When she opens them she sees Damon where Stefan once was and looks confused.]
- Elena: Why am I thinking about you?
- Damon: Because you're a vampire now. And part of you knows you're a lot more like me than you are like him.
[Klaus enters the room. Stefan gets up and walks towards him.]
- Stefan: [relieved] You came.
- Klaus: I did. And for future reference, one voicemail is just as effective as nine.
[Elena moans in discomfort. Klaus looks at her.]
- Klaus: What's wrong, love?
- Stefan: She has werewolf venom in her system. You know you're the only one that can heal her, Klaus. Please.
- Klaus: And what would you have done if I were no longer here? Hm? If you and your friends had succeeded in ridding the world of me? Let's play that game for a moment, shall we?
[Stefan angrily steps forward.]
- Stefan: Whatever you want from me...
- Klaus: [smiles] I don't want anything from you.
[Klaus walks over towards Elena and sits on the bed next to her.]
- Klaus: Her, on the other hand...[He pauses for a moment] If you had told me a few hours ago, I wouldn't have cared a lick about her dying. But, as it turns out...[He bites into his wrist] You may be of use to me after all.
[Klaus places his wrist in her mouth and Elena drinks his blood.]
- Klaus: Yes. There we go.
[Rebekah is lying in her bed, still looking as though she is being affected by the werewolf venom. April walks in the room and knocks on the doorframe. Rebekah opens her eyes and sees her.]
- April: Hey.
[April picks up some empty cups and throws them in a garbage can she is carrying.]
- April: Way to bail on your own party.
- Rebekah: I just. I needed a minute. Did everyone leave?
- April: Yeah, deputies weren't actually super-happy about the anti-curfew party.
- Rebekah: Why are you still here?
- April: Um, honestly? Picking up trash is a hell of a lot better than sitting at home alone thinking about the family you no longer have.
[Rebekah gets up and walks towards April, clearly identifying with the young girl.]
- Rebekah: Hey, uh, if you want, I could...I could help you look into what happened with the fire at your farmhouse.
- April: What are you going to be able to do that I can't?
- Rebekah: [smiles] You'd be surprised.
[April seems touched by this kindness and nods.]
Mystic Fall Hospital
[Firefighters and officers are inside the room where the explosion occurred. Carol and Damon are standing in the hallway outside of the room, talking.]
- Carol: So, the sniper was inside?
- Damon: Yep, still is. In tiny little pieces.
- Carol: Good. I'll cancel the curfew and call off the extra patrols. I can't say I approve of your methods...
- Damon: [smirks] I'll give a donation. You can name a wing after me, Mayor.
[Damon walks away into the waiting room. Jeremy sees him and speaks to him.]
- Jeremy: See? I told you I could be a badass.
- Damon: Shhh, badasses don't say that. [He spots Meredith nearby] Doc!
[Damon approaches Meredith.]
- Damon: Nice job.
- Meredith: You told me the plan was to lead him to the storage room.
- Damon: And we did! Congrats.
- Meredith: You left out the part about blowing up a hospital! With patients who are sick and fragile and who don't need things exploding down the hall from them!
- Damon: It was contained. Nobody got hurt. Come on, buy me a farewell drink. [He claps her on the arm.] We'll talk about what the hell Klaus meant by "the Five."
- Meredith: [sighs in frustration] You know you're not going anywhere, Damon. And I'm not your new partner-in-vampire-crime. Fix things with Stefan and Elena. Don't let your pride leave you all alone.
[Meredith walks away.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Stefan is in the parlor with a drink in hand. Caroline opens the front door and enters the house.]
- Caroline: Hey.
- Stefan: Hey. Thanks for coming.
[Stefan sits down and Caroline walks into the room.]
- Caroline: Not every day I get summoned by a Salvatore. So, what's up?
- Stefan: [sighs] Do you remember what you were like before you turned?
- Caroline: You mean an insecure control-freak?
[Stefan laughs. Caroline sits down.]
- Caroline: Yeah.
- Stefan: You grew into yourself when you became a vampire. You changed. And Elena, she's changing too, and I want her to be able to enjoy it, without all the guilt and shame that I went through. And there was a moment today when she did. And when I'm with her, every bone in my body tells me to join her. To enjoy it. But, I know that if I do, even a little, I risk becoming him...the Ripper. I love her, and I don't want to hold her back.
- Caroline: But you don't know how to be around her and still resist that urge.
- Stefan: Damon promised he'd help me stay off the edge, but he and I...we're not in a very good place right now. Not when it comes to her. I just thought, you're so good at it, at being a vampire.
- Caroline: [laughs] Because of you, Stefan. I'm good at it because of you. Come to me, whenever you want, and I won't let you lose control.
[Matt walks into Elena's kitchen looking incredibly apologetic.]
- Matt: Elena, hey! If I had known you were gonna go to that party, I never would have told Connor about Rebekah.
- Elena: I already had this conversation with Jeremy. There's no way you guys could have known that I would go, I mean, I was surprised that I went.
[Matt starts to roll up his sleeve.]
- Elena: Stefan warned me that I would feel things more powerfully, but Matt, the hatred that I felt today? I almost–I almost killed her, in front of everyone, in the middle of a party. That's not me. At least, it didn't–it didn't used to be.
- Matt: Honestly, Elena, Rebekah kind of deserves it.
- Elena: Yeah, but it's not just about Rebekah, it's about my mind.
[Matt removes the bandage from his wrist in preparation to let Elena feed on him.]
- Elena: I'm having these terrible thoughts-- these violent images and I-- it's all driven by one simple thing: this hunger.
[Elena starts to drink from Matt's wrist. She drinks more than she usually does.]
- Matt: [concerned] Hey, Elena, are you sure you want to take that much?
[Elena ignores him and continues to drink his blood.]
- Matt: Elena. Elena, that hurts. Elena. Elena!
[Elena grabs Matt by the throat and super speeds him against a cabinet. She begins to feed on him harder.]
- Matt: Elena! Elena!
[Damon super-speeds into the room and pushes Elena off of Matt. Elena is still vamped-out and growls as she tries to rush back towards Matt. Damon pushes her back, admonishing her as though she's a naughty child.]
- Damon: Stop! Stop.
[Elena starts to return to normal and looks at Matt. Matt is terrified. Elena starts to cry.]
- Elena: Oh my God. Matt, I'm sorry. I'm so-I'm so sorry. I didn't-I didn't mean to--
[Damon walks towards Matt and stares him in the eyes.]
- Damon: [compels Matt] It's okay. Forget what just happened. You came over, she fed a little bit, and you left. Now go home.
[Matt leaves. Damon looks at Elena.]
- Elena: What have I done?
[Damon walks over towards her.]
- Damon: Nothing you should be ashamed of. You are a vampire now. You just have to learn the right way to be one. And I'm gonna teach you.
[He pushes a strand of hair out of her face and behind her ear. Elena nods hesitantly.]
[Connor wakes up on the couch in his trailer. He attempts to get up, but is pushed back down by Klaus.]
- Connor: You saved me.
- Klaus: Congratulations, you just became worth more to me alive than dead.
- Connor: What-what did you mean when you said I was one of the Five?
- Klaus: You don't know your own history?
[Klaus kneels down next to him.]
- Klaus: Well, let's just say, it's made you the most well-protected vampire hunter in town.