The Mikaelson Family Rings were the first daylight rings in history created by Esther, the Original Witch. Esther enchanted six gold rings with lapis-lazuli (which was from Dahlia and Esther's Family Bloodline as heirlooms such as Freya's Talisman) for the members of the Original Family of vampires (also known as "The Originals"), they prevented one from burning in the sunlight.
Although the Originals cannot be destroyed by the sun, the sun will burn them before they heal. Without rings in public they would expose themselves as vampires.
People who possess The Original Family RingThese Vampires are known for possessing The Originals Family Ring:
- Mikael: His ring is worn on his left pinky.
- Elijah: His ring is worn on his left middle finger.
- Finn: His ring was worn on his right middle finger.
- His ring is no longer worn on his finger, as a hybrid the sun no longer affects him.
- When he was a vampire, it was on his right middle finger, and is on his right pointer finger in the flashback to the 1920's.
- It was probably lost when Klaus broke his curse and transformed into a wolf for the first time in over a thousand years.
- Kol: His ring was worn on his right middle finger.
- Rebekah: Her ring is worn on her right middle finger.
- Sage: Her ring was worn on her right middle finger.