|This article is about TV show. You may be looking for an episode or a species.|
The Originals is The Vampire Diaries spin-off series which is produced by The CW. The twentieth episode of the fourth season, namely called The Originals, served as a backdoor pilot. The series was green-lit on April 26, 2013.
The series mainly stars Joseph Morgan as Klaus Mikaelson, Daniel Gillies as Elijah Mikaelson, Claire Holt as Rebekah Mikaelson, Phoebe Tonkin as Hayley Marshall and Charles Michael Davis as Marcel Gerard.
The Originals centers on Niklaus Mikaelson and the Original Family of vampires, as he makes his returns to the supernatural crucible that is the French Quarter of New Orleans, a town he helped build centuries ago, and is reunited with his diabolical former apprentice Marcel. The show will happen to feature two new characters who are witches, as well as a human female named Camille who is a psychology student fascinated by the study of Human Behavior. Cami is allured to the aberration of the French Quarter, resolute on answering the unanswerable question - what makes someone evil?
Starring in the pilot episode of "The Originals" is two-time Teen Choice Award nominee Joseph Morgan, who will continue his "The Vampire Diaries" role of Niklaus Mikaelson. Morgan is an English actor who studied at the "Central School of Speech and Drama" in London, UK. Among his film credits are "Alexander" starring Angelina Jolie and Colin Farrell, and "Immortals" starring opposite Henry Cavill. Phoebe Tonkin will also star in "The Originals" playing as the werewolf Hayley Marshall, a character that was introduced in season four of "The Vampire Diaries".
Also joining the cast is 'Saving Hope' star Daniel Gillies as Klaus' older brother Elijah, who was the first original to appear on 'The Vampire Diaries'. Gillies starred in Spider-Man 2 opposite to Tobey Maguire, his film credits also include 'Uncross the Stars' with Ron Perlman, 'Captivity' and 'Broken Kingdom' , which he also directed and starred along with his wife Rachael Leigh Cook. Gillies TV work includes 'Into the West', 'The Vampire Diaries' and 'Saving Hope' which he will remain a regular on even if 'The Originals' gets picked up. Claire Holt will also be reprising her role as Klaus and Elijah's sister, Rebekah Mikaelson.
"The Vampire Diaries" showrunner Julie Plec will executive produce "The Originals" and serve as head writer. Plec developed "Diaries" along with Kevin Williamson, who will not be involved with "Originals". Leslie Morgenstein will executive produce for Alloy Entertainment. Morgenstein is also currently executive producer of the hit ABC Family series "Pretty Little Liars". Senior vice president of television for Alloy Entertainment, Gina Girolamo, will also executive produce. Michael Narducci will serve as the show's producer.
SYNOPSIS for THE ORIGINALS
Fall 2013: Tuesdays (8:00-9:00 pm ET) on The CW!
Family is power. The Original Vampire family swore it to each other a thousand years ago. They pledged to remain together, always and forever. Now, centuries have passed and the bonds of family are broken. Time, tragedy, and hunger for power have torn The Original Family apart.
When Niklaus Mikaelson, the Original Vampire-Werewolf Hybrid, receives a mysterious tip that a plot is brewing against him in the supernatural melting pot that is known as the French Quarter of New Orleans, he returns to the city his family helped build. Klaus’ questions lead him to a reunion with his diabolical former protégé, Marcel, a charismatic vampire who has total control over the human and supernatural inhabitants of New Orleans. Determined to help his brother find redemption, Elijah follows Klaus and soon learns that the werewolf Hayley has also come to the French Quarter searching for clues to her family history, and has fallen into the hands of a powerful witch named Sophie.
Tensions between the town’s supernatural factions are nearing a breaking point as Marcel commands his devoted followers and rules with absolute power. For Klaus, the thought of answering to his powerful protégé is unthinkable, and he vows to reclaim what was once his — the power, the city, and his family. While they wait to see if their sister Rebekah will leave Mystic Falls and join them, Klaus and Elijah form an uneasy alliance with the witches to ensure that New Orleans will be ruled by THE ORIGINALS once again.
A spin-off from The Vampire Diaries and set in New Orleans, The Originals centers on the Mikaelson siblings, otherwise known as the world's original vampires: Klaus (Joseph Morgan), Elijah (Daniel Gillies), and Rebekah (Claire Holt). Now Klaus must take down his protégé, Marcel (Charles Michael Davis), who is now in charge of New Orleans, in order to re-take his city, as he originally built New Orleans. Klaus departed from the city after being chased down by his father Mikael, while it was being constructed and Marcel took charge. As Klaus has returned after many years, his ego has provoked him to become the king of the city. "Every King needs an heir" says Klaus, accepting the unborn child. The child is a first to be born to a hybrid (part vampire, part werewolf) and a werewolf (Hayley).
- Joseph Morgan as Niklaus Mikaelson (79/79)
- Daniel Gillies as Elijah Mikaelson (79/79)
- Phoebe Tonkin as Hayley Marshall (79/79)
- Charles Michael Davis as Marcel Gerard (78/79)
- Yusuf Gatewood as Vincent Griffith (45/79) and Finn Mikaelson (16/79) (2x14 onwards); Recurring (2x01 -2x13); Guest (1x22)
- Riley Voelkel as Freya Mikaelson (42/79) (3x01 onwards); Recurring (2x09 - 2x22)
- Daniella Pineda as Sophie Deveraux (9/79) (1x01 - 1x13)
- Claire Holt as Rebekah Mikaelson (33/79) (1x01 - 1x16, 1x22); Recurring (2x01, 2x08 - 2x10, 2x22 / 3x01, 3x05 - 3x06, 3x09, 3x22 / 4x02 - 4x03, 4x10 - 4x13)
- Leah Pipes as Camille O'Connell (51/79) (1x01 - 3x19); Guest (4x02)
- Danielle Campbell as Davina Claire (53/77) (1x01 - 3x21); Recurring (4x08, 4x10 - 4x11)
During its run, three cast members have directed a total of four episodes.
- Joseph Morgan (2) had directed Behind the Black Horizon and Keepers of the House.
- Charles Michael Davis (1) had directed High Water and a Devil's Daughter.
- Daniel Gillies (1) had directed Phantomesque.
- Season 1 - ("Pilot": 2J6670) (2J7801-2J7822; "Always and Forever": 2J7802; "House of the Rising Son": 2J7801)
- Season 2 - (3J5201 - 3J5222; "Brotherhood of the Damned": 3J5212; "Sanctuary": 3J5211)
- Season 3 - (3J5301 - 3J5322)
- Season 4 - (T27.13351 - T27.13363)
- People's Choice Awards
|Nominated||Favorite New TV Drama||The Originals|
|Won||Favorite Actor In A New TV Series||Joseph Morgan|
- Teen Choice Awards
|Nominated||Choice TV Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy||Joseph Morgan|
|Nominated||Choice TV Actress: Sci-Fi/Fantasy||Claire Holt|
|Nominated||Choice TV Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy||Joseph Morgan|
|2016||Nominated||Choice TV Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy||Joseph Morgan|
|2017||Pending||Choice TV Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy||Joseph Morgan|
- Primetime Emmy Awards
|Nominated||Outstanding Hairstyling For A Multi-Camera Series Or Special||Colleen Labaff, Department Head Hairstylist Kimberley Spiteri, Co-Department Head Hairstylist|
- Arrow and The Flash share similarities with The Vampire Diaries and The Originals in the fact one show is the spin-off of another, and the protagonist(s) in the spin-off are far more physically powerful than the ones in the original show.
- The Originals Season One Soundtrack
- The Originals Season One Body Count
- The Originals (Episode)
- The Originals Season 1
- The Originals Season 2
- The Originals Season 3
- The Originals Season 4
- The Originals Season 5