|This article is about The Originals from the shows. You may be looking for The Old Ones from the novels.|
|“||It was euphoric. The feeling of power was indescribable. But the witch Ayana was right about the consequences. The Spirits turned on us, and Nature fought back. For every strength there would be a weakness. The sun became our enemy-- it kept us indoors for weeks. And though my mother found a solution, there were other problems. Neighbors who had opened their homes to us could now keep us out. The flowers at the base of the white oak burned and prevented compulsion. And the spell decreed that the tree that gave us life could also take it away... So we burned it to the ground. But the darkest consequence was something my parents never anticipated-- the hunger. Blood had made us reborn and it was blood that we craved above all else. We could not control it. And with that, the predatory species was born.||”|
— Rebekah Mikaelson about her family's transformation into vampires
The Original Vampires, or simply The Originals, are a group of extremely powerful vampires that are known for being the first of their bloodlines and the first generation of vampires, which makes them the oldest, fastest, strongest, and most powerful vampires in the world. Their name is a term used to describe a progenitor in a vampire bloodline. The term was initially introduced when Rose revealed their existence to Elena, Stefan and Damon, and primarily refers to the Mikaelson Family, but has since expanded after Esther used the spell to turn Alaric into a vampire and Elena referred to him as an "Original," lacking another term to refer to the type of vampire Alaric became.
A number of characteristics differentiate an Original from the vampire bloodline that they begat, but the fundamental difference is that Originals became vampires through a spell, not by ingesting the blood of another immortal; and, unlike normal vampires, the Originals are indestructible and cannot be killed by anything on earth aside from the White Oak Stake. They also can only be temporarily neutralized by a White Oak Ash Dagger or one of the Cursed Stakes.
The vampires who have been called Originals are: Mikael, Finn, Elijah, Klaus, Kol, Rebekah and Alaric. The Originals are legendary throughout the supernatural world, especially amongst witches and vampires due to the fact that they have walked the Earth for over a thousand years.
The Originals were created around the turn of the 11th century, when Mikael, the father of the Originals, wanted to find a way through magic to make himself and his remaining children immortal, as well as to make them superior to werewolves in speed, strength, fangs of their own, and heightened senses. His motivation to undergo this transformation was a result of the death of his youngest son Henrik Mikaelson, who was killed by a member of their neighboring village's werewolf pack during a full moon. When Ayana, his families witch ally, refused to do the spell, Mikael convinced his wife Esther to do the spell instead in order to keep their children safe, ignoring the warnings of Ayana that doing so would unleash a plague upon the world.
History of the Term
The term was first used on The Vampire Diaries series when Rose revealed the existence of a few ancient and immensely powerful vampires while she and her friend Trevor held Elena hostage in hopes of trading her to an Original named Elijah in exchange for their freedom. When this plan failed and Damon and Stefan had rescued Elena, she rejoined them at the boarding house and spoke with fear of the Original vampire known as Klaus, from whom she had been running for half a millennium. She then reluctantly agreed to help Damon get in contact with people who might know how to find him, though they were largely unsuccessful in this endeavor.
The legend surrounding the Original vampire named Klaus remained pieced together by hearsay and shrouded in mystery until Elijah agreed to tell his story to Elena after she removed the White Oak Ash Dagger from his heart in Klaus. He eventually revealed that he and Klaus are half-brothers, and referred to his family as "the Original family," explaining that it is from them that all vampires were created.
The rest of the Mikaelson family were introduced throughout Season Three: Rebekah through Flashbacks in the 1920's and in present day when Klaus undaggered her in The End of the Affair; Mikael and Esther as Rebekah recounted the vampire origin story to Elena in Ordinary People; and Kol and Finn when Elijah undaggered them in Bringing Out The Dead. When Rebekah told the story of how their family became vampires, she revealed that their mother, Esther, had performed the spell that made them immortal, and referred to her as the "Original witch."
This usage of the term "Original" makes it clear that it was initially only used as a self-referential way for the Original Vampire siblings to establish their status as a powerful, elite group - the foundation for all other vampires created from their blood. However, in Do Not Go Gentle, when Esther begins the process of turning Alaric into a vampire using magic, Elena uses the term "Original" to describe what Alaric would become should she succeed. Lacking another word to describe the head of a bloodline (or potential bloodline) of vampires, the term's use has extended to describe vampires created using the Immortality Spell rather than by the blood of another vampire.
Powers and Abilities
Due to the nature and purpose of the spell that created them, the Original Vampire's powers and abilities are the most advanced and by far superior to any other species with the exception of Immortals in mental strength. Rebekah said herself that they are the strongest creatures in the world. This is no longer the case as when Lucien Castle was upgraded he proved to be able to overwhelm both Finn and Elijah with ease. It is unknown if Original Vampires grow stronger with age like non-original Vampires. These are their standard powers and abilities as the first generation of vampires.
- Super Strength: Original vampires are considerably much stronger than immortals, Supernatural Hunters, non-Original vampires, werewolves, evolved werewolves, non-Original werewolf-vampire hybrids and humans. They are able to decapitate other species with a single chop of their bare hands, shatter windows and doors with small objects, and single-handedly tear out the hearts of younger vampires and other creatures with little to no effort. Their strength has been used to break necks and spines, and break and move heavy objects. Their impact can send anyone flying. Their strength is also enough to rival that of their own kind. While Original Vampires are more powerful than werewolves in either form, transformed werewolves still rival enough of their strength to take down an Original Vampire in small groups as it was shown that four of them were capable of overwhelming Rebekah (although she managed to kill half of them), while two took down Elijah (these wolves were channeling the power of their werewolf forms through enchanted kyanite stones, and Elijah was taken by surprise and briefly passed out from their venom). Vampires of 900 years or more may present a slight challenge. However, given how Originals seem to have the peak power of their condition, they currently remain the most powerful of their kind. Lucien was much stronger than any of the Originals while an Upgraded Original, and with him dead and Marcel now the only remaining Upgraded Original, he is now stronger than them physically as well, though possibly not to the extent that Lucien was.
- Super Speed: Original vampires are much faster than immortals, supernatural hunters, non-Original vampires, werewolves, evolved werewolves, non-Original werewolf-vampire hybrids and humans. They are able to stop other supernatural species in their tracks, run miles in mere minutes and can easily catch up to any species of creature, supernatural or not. Their reflexes are similarly heightened. It is unknown if they grow faster with time. Lucien was shown to be incredibly fast, moreso than an Original.
- Super Agility: Original vampires possess more superhuman agility, flexibility and dexterity than immortals, supernatural hunters, non-Original vampires, werewolves, evolved werewolves, non-Original werewolf-vampire hybrids and humans. They can move quickly, jump very high, climb and run incredibly fast without difficulty or exhaustion.
- Super Senses: Original vampires have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight and smell that far exceed those of immortals, supernatural hunters, non-Original vampires, werewolves, evolved werewolves, non-Original werewolf-vampire hybrids and humans.
- Super Durability: Original vampires can take far more trauma than supernatural hunters, non-original vampires, werewolves, evolved werewolves, non-original werewolf-vampire hybrids and humans can, without much discomfort or injury. No Original vampire has ever been dismembered throughout the series, implying that their durability may be close to invincibility. Wood seems to be ineffective at weakening them, though being stabbed in the heart with it will often incapacitate them for several minutes until they recover. Ordinary bullets, knives and blunt objects can hurt an Original vampire as seen with Finn, Kol and Klaus. Rebekah once stated to Matt that she never feels cold. When running from Mikael, she also stated how her siblings and her ran through winter and autumn, sleet and snow.
- Healing Factor: The injuries of Original vampires heal faster than those of supernatural hunters, non-original vampires, werewolves, evolved werewolves, non-original werewolf-vampire hybrids and humans. Original vampires also seem to heal much more quickly when exposed to vervain or wood. They can heal/recover/regenerate from any and all injuries in a matter of seconds. Even a werewolf bite is no threat to them, it is only painful to them and will cause weakness and hallucinations as they are not wholly immune to the bite, but it wears off. Vervain-laced liquid has also been shown to weaken them, though they recover from the effects much more quickly. If they are stabbed with Papa Tunde's blade and its removed, the healing process becomes much slower due to the dark magic within it, this applies to werewolf venom as well. Mikael still bore the scars of his attack for a day or so as he still had venom in his system. Human blood has also known to make the healing process faster.
- Immortality: Original vampires are immortal. They do not physically age and are immune to all illnesses, toxins, poisons and human diseases or physical conditions. The only physical weapon that can bring permanent death to an Original is the White Oak Stake, and the only other substance being poisons from the advanced strain of werewolf toxin contained in the bite of an Upgraded Original Vampire, as well as the similar toxin from the enchanted thorns grown by The Hollow from an Upgraded Original's blood.
- Enhanced Emotions: Original Vampires experience emotions more powerfully than humans. Emotions like love, joy, and happiness are intensified for vampires allowing them to live life more intensely. This ability allows the original vampires to feel emotions at their peak regardless of their age. They have been shown experiencing emotions as powerfully today as they did 1,000 years ago.
- Emotional Control: Original vampires have a limited degree of control over their own emotions. It has been stated that Emotional Control fades over time. It is unknown if the Original vampires still possess the ability to "switch off" their emotions completely.
- Mind Compulsion: Original vampires can control and influence the thoughts, emotions, behavior, actions and memories of humans, non-original vampires and non-original werewolf-vampire hybrids. They cannot however compel witches, immortals, or werewolves/evolved werewolves.
- Sire Bond: Although rare among them, Sire Bonds can be formed when a human is turned with the blood of the vampire whom they had strong human feelings for.
- Telepathy: Original Vampires have the ability to enter the minds of others as long as theirs is stronger than them although, as Original vampires, they have one of the strongest minds in the world. Normally, this ability works in a tactile fashion and the vampire requires physical contact in order for it to work successfully. However, Elijah has been shown to mentally communicate with others from a short distance sending distress calls and mental images. Klaus and Elijah has also been shown sharing their memories with others.
- Dream Manipulation: Original vampires can control dreams and subconscious. They can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the ability to distort perceptions of reality and being able to trap someone in their dreams.
- Illusions: Original Vampires have the power to trick the minds of others into seeing/feeling things that aren't actually happening.
- True Face: An Original Vampire's true face is the appearance they are hiding under their normal human face. When an Original Vampire's true face is revealed, the sclera of their eyes turns blood-red, dark veins appear under their eyes as the blood pumps forcefully through them, and their canine teeth extend into razor-sharp fangs. An Original Vampire's true face can be revealed whenever they wish, but it will appear against their will whenever they are aroused by the scent of blood, or are feeling intense emotions such as anger, lust, sadness, etc. An Original Vampire's fangs are extremely sharp which gives them the ability to tear into almost any substance (including and especially flesh) and tear off limbs. With the fangs come the darkened veins under the eyes as well.
- Bloodlust Resistance: Unlike most vampires, Elijah has complete control of his blood lust, which he perfected over the years of being a vampire to the point that his vampire veins have not been shown often since he was introduced, even when he requested to speak to Davina despite being neutralized for three months and having his skin color become very darkened from lack of blood; as a result, he was able to talk to her without craving her blood. This was not always so however, as Elijah had accidentally killed someone not long after transitioning.
- Tolerance to Werewolf Bite: Although Mikael was bitten many times by werewolves, he could overcome his pain and hallucinations. Even having werewolf's venom in blood, he dominated a fight against Klaus in their first altercation and defeated him in a second duel when weakened further by Papa Tunde's blade; it should be noted that Klaus was forced to let his guard down, when Mikael threw Papa Tunde's Blade at Camille.
- Tolerance to Papa Tunde's Blade: When Klaus used Papa Tunde's Blade against Mikael, he was neutralized, but only for minutes as he woke and removed blade from his chest with no aid, something that no other Original vampire could do.
- Main article: Original Hybrid
- Shapeshifting/Transformation Control: Klaus has the ability to transform into his werewolf form at will. Elijah informs Klaus that he remained a werewolf for two days, even when the sun was up. Showing that Klaus can stay in werewolf form longer than a normal werewolf. As seen with Klaus when he bit Katherine, Klaus can transform partially, displaying his werewolf eyes and teeth.
- Lycanthrope Enhancement: Klaus is capable of using his werewolf features to further supplement his powers. Klaus can grow werewolf claws and fangs even when he is still in his human form. Klaus can display both sets of vampire and werewolf fangs. His eyes also change into those of his werewolf form, presumably granting him better eyesight. Due to his werewolf heritage, Klaus' strength and speed are heightened further during a full moon and at its peak in his werewolf form.
- Day Walking: As a werewolf-vampire hybrid, Klaus cannot be harmed by the sun and does not require a daylight ring.
- Werewolf Bite Cure: Klaus' blood is the only cure for a normal werewolf or an non-Original werewolf-vampire hybrid bite, this ability seems to be unique only to Klaus.
- Werewolf Bite: His venom will temporarily weaken an Original vampire and kill a non-Original vampire. As a Hybrid, Klaus' venom take effect quicker than a normal werewolf's venom.
- Procreation: Klaus had a child with a werewolf due to a loophole (being born a werewolf who was turned into a vampire-werewolf hybrid by magic). This loophole has since been made impossible by witches, and will not happen again.
- Immunity to Silver: Due to his werewolf heritage, magic bonded to silver doesn't affect Klaus. Weapons made of silver might wound him, but the wound heals at super-normal rates than regular wounds.
- Main article: Enhanced Original Vampire
- White Oak Stake Invulnerability: Alaric was made to have fewer weaknesses compared to the Original Vampires. He cannot be harmed by wooden weapons and consequently, any stake even the White Oak Stake or the White Oak Ash Daggers. His body is completely indestructible making decapitation or heart extraction impossible. Instead, Esther linked his life to the life of Elena as a weakness.
- Main article: Upgraded Original Vampire
- Advanced Werewolf Venom: Due to having incorporated an advanced strain of venom into their bite from the seven strains of werewolf venom, a Beast can kill even an Original as demonstrated by Lucien who succeeded in killing Finn within a day of biting him.
Even though the Original Vampires are the first and strongest vampires in the world, they themselves still have weaknesses. However, these weaknesses are fewer compared to non-original vampires, and they recover faster from them. Original vampires are immune to most of the weakness of non-original vampires.
- Animal Blood: Animal blood weakens an Original's strength, but can ease their hunger better than no blood at all.
- Broken Neck: Breaking an Original's neck will not kill them, but it will render them unconscious for several minutes to several hours.
- The Cure: If an Original Vampire takes the cure, they will revert back to being mortal again. Once taken, the cure prevents them from being immortal again, causing the body to reject vampire blood.
- Desiccation: Being completely drained of blood or the heart stopping will cause an Original vampire to desiccate like any other vampire, losing most of it's strength and any ability to move. The desiccated body of an Original vampire will appear as a corpse and can only start functioning again once they feed on blood. This process can be replicated artificially by a witch casting a desiccation spell. It's unknown if an Original vampire would desiccate if their heart was torn out; however, it seems that an Original vampire's body is indestructible, therefore it is possible their hearts cannot be extracted.
- Invitation: In order to enter any house owned by humans, they need to be invited in by a person that officially lives there or the person of entitlement. Once invited, the invitation cannot be revoked. If an original vampire lives in a house, other vampires can enter freely and if an original vampire is in the house without being invited in, it will become disoriented and will begin to suffocate. If the ownership to a house changes while inside, an Original, like normal vampires, would likely become disoriented and pulled from the house against their will.
- Magic: It is said that a witch with enough power can kill/dangerously affect a being as powerful as an Original Vampire, but would likely kill the witch unless the Original vampire was in a weakened state. Its later revealed to have some sort of truth as both Bonnie and Davina while being empowered by extremely potent sources of magic (the violent deaths of 100 witches and the power of the Harvest) were able to cripple Klaus almost to the point of bringing him close to death. Julie Plec reveals that the White Oak Stake is the only physical weapon in existence that can kill an Original vampire, but an extremely empowered witch could kill one with magic. Bonnie would have succeeded in killing Klaus had Elijah not saved him. Dahlia may have the power to kill the Original vampires, as one of the strongest witches to exist, something Esther and Freya believe she can do. Dahlia could effortlessly desiccate Mikael and Klaus at the same time, nearly killing them both with a portion of her magic potential, however she was later seen having to use the dust from the destroyed white oak stake to kill Elijah, Klaus, and Rebekah at the same time. Witches can also do spells that can seriously harm an original vampire. Minor spells have little effect. An example of a spell that can be used to effect an original is the spell with sage that can block a vampire's hearing. This is inclusive of mystical objects such as the Gilbert Device, Papa Tunde's Blade, Cursed Stake and Dark Objects. It is possible, but equally as unlikely that a Siphoner could siphon the magic from an original vampire.
- Physical Trauma: While any physical trauma can slow an Original down, minor ones such as cuts and bruises, are essentially ineffective due to the healing factor of an Original vampire. More significant injuries along the lines of broken bones and organ damage can incapacitate one due to the combination of pain and lack of their bodies proper function. However, the most effective way to neutralise an Original, albeit temporarily, is to inflict injury normally fatal to a human such as breaking their neck or ripping out their heart. Minor physical injuries such as gunshots, stab wounds and broken bones will cause an Original Vampire pain and also slow them down. However, this is momentary as they will heal completely within seconds. It seems physical trauma can hurt them anywhere on the body (ex-eye gauging, drowning).
- Poison: There have recently been various poisons shown invented by people such as Dr. Wes Maxfield and Aya that are capable of incapacitate or desiccate a vampire when administered. Klaus also used a poison to kill Tim that not even vampire blood could cure. Davina used a spell that made her blood toxic to Klaus, paralyzing and rendering him unconscious. It is unknown what effect any of these poisons would do if ingested by an original vampire.
- Sunlight: Sunlight will burn an Original vampire, but cannot kill them. All members of the Original Family possess lapis lazuli rings to combat this. Klaus is not affected by sunlight due to being a werewolf-vampire hybrid.
- Vervain: Vervain prevents Original vampires from compelling anyone who takes it and burns them on touch. Original vampires will heal very quickly from vervain wounds however.
- Werewolf Bite: While a werewolf bite can't kill Original vampires, it weakens them and causes hallucinations. The effects are temporary and only lasts for a few hours. This will not affect Klaus as he is a werewolf-vampire hybrid. Mikael overcame the pain of the venom and fought through the effects rather than suffer and hallucinate. Lucien Castle has invented an advanced strain of venom with no known cure deriving from the seven strains of werewolf venom which has been infused in his bite as an Upgraded Original Vampire, otherwise known as a Beast. It is even fatal to Original vampires in a manner similar to that of a werewolf or hybrid bite on regular vampires although, working twice as fast and more painfully. It is so potent that not even the blood of Klaus or Hope Mikaelson can cure it. Lucien bit Finn Mikaelson, and Original Vampire, and Finn died permanently hours later. This is the first toxin that can kill an Original, and one of the only things to permanently kill an Original Vampire besides a White Oak Stake.
- Wood: A wooden stake through the heart will desiccate an Original vampire and the Original vampire will appear as if they were dead, but will revive within a few hours. Klaus cannot be neutralized by wooden stakes, due to being a werewolf-vampire hybrid.
- White Oak Ash Daggers: A group of enchanted silver daggers dipped in the ash of the white oak tree will neutralize an Original vampire when stabbed through the heart. If the dagger is removed, it must be dipped again in White Oak Ash to re-neutralize the Original vampire. Otherwise, it will have no effect and the Original vampire awaken within a few hours.
- Enchanted Thorns: A mystical vine of thorns grown by The Hollow from Marcel's blood which has the power to kill an original vampire with just a scratch of its thorns.
- Cancer: Although vampires cannot catch diseases and illnesses such as cancer, if a human has active cancer and is turned into a vampire, the effects of the cancer will increase. The regenerative properties of vampire blood will speed up the replication of cancer cells of and exceed normal stages of the condition. This was first proven when Caroline fed a terminal cancer patient vampire blood to test if it could cure cancer. When Jo ran tests on the patient after he was turned into a vampire, she referred to his tumors as "stage 10. It is unknown what would happen if a person with cancer is turned into an original vampire. The effects on an Original Vampire would be presumably the same as the rest of the species because they have the same healing powers.
- Doppelgänger Blood Magic: If blood from the last pair of doppelgängers are used in the Magic Purification Spell, all vampires' abilities will be stripped from them little by little and then they will be brought back to the last stage of their human life: Death. They will then relive the way they died when they transitioned into vampirism. Kai absorbed the magic purification spell and as such, it is no longer there.
- White Oak Ash Dagger (Gold): A weapon that was forged by witches and modified by Kol Mikaelson as a way to subdue Niklaus Mikaelson since Silver Daggers have no affect on him. If dipped into the White Oak Tree ashes and then stabbed into the heart of Klaus, he will become desiccated and will remain that way as long as the dagger stays in place. As of Ashes to Ashes, Dahlia melted and destroyed the dagger.
- The Phoenix Sword: The Phoenix Stone, when attached to the sword with which it is paired, has the power to kill the body of a vampire and trap their soul in a prison within the stone. This prison has been described as a hell dimension where time has no meaning and where the vampire souls inside it are emotionally tortured with horrifying images such as being forced to kill their loved ones. Though it is unknown if it can affect an original vampire. The blade along with its stone was destroyed by Nora and Mary Louise.
- White Oak Stake: The only weapon on earth that can permanently kill an Original vampire, it comes from an ancient White Oak Tree that existed during the time of the genesis of The Original Vampires and was used as the source of their immortality. It was at first thought that the stake used to kill Mikael was the last White Oak wood that existed, but it was soon discovered by Rebekah and Klaus that there was a sapling of the original tree to replace the old; the wood of which was used to build the Wickery Bridge. Julie Plec later confirms this is the only thing in existence that can kill an original. Dahlia destroyed the stake and only its ashes presumably remain. The white oak from the Wickery Bridges presumably exist in the Prison Worlds. However with the death of Kai the Gemini leader the prison worlds are destroyed because they are linked to the leader of the Gemini Coven. It was also revealed in Ashes to Ashes, that an Original can slowly die by inhaling what is presumably white oak ash or splinters. In Wild at Heart, it was revealed that the Wooden Knight Klaus carved as a child is made of white oak wood and it was fashioned into seven wooden bullets. The last bullet was destroyed in Lucien's spell to become an upgraded Original Vampire.
Known Original Vampires
The Original Family
- Main article: Mikaelson Family
- Mikael was a wealthy landowner in a village in Eastern Europe, as well as a Viking warrior from the Kingdom of Norway, before he and his family moved to the New World. They made their new home in what would eventually become Mystic Falls, and found themselves neighbors with a pack of werewolves. After their youngest son was killed by a werewolf and his wife Esther turned their remaining children into vampires, Klaus revealed his true paternity when, after his first kill as a vampire, he triggered his werewolf gene; Mikael was not his biological father. Furious, Mikael hunted down and killed Klaus' father and his entire family, not realizing that he was igniting a war between the two species that persists to this day. After a lifetime of hunting Klaus, he was killed by Klaus with his own weapon. However, he is now revived by the powerful witch Davina Claire and is plotting his attack on Klaus. Mikael seems to be the strongest of all the Originals and is an exceptionally skilled fighter, being able to defeat his children and step-son. Klaus killed Mikael again, to procure Viking ash for a weapon against Dahlia, and for not receiving his love like Mikael's love for his first beloved daughter Freya.
- Finn Mikaelson was the second oldest sibling (following Freya.) He spent most of his immortal life daggered and is even more moral than Elijah, as well as self-loathing. Although he was willing to sacrifice himself and his siblings in order to rid the world of vampires, he showed a more relaxed side of himself while reconnecting with his lover, Sage. Before he had the chance to even consider the life he could now live, he was killed by Matt Donovan with a White Oak Stake. All of the vampires from his bloodline, including Sage, died within hours of his death. Thanks to his mother Esther, he possessed the body of Vincent along with his brother Kol who possessed Kaleb, however after a fair amount of time and an attempt on Hope's life, Freya sealed Finn's soul in her talisman, thus freeing Vincent. In An Old Friend Calls, Finn was freed from the talisman by Freya, and was an Original Vampire once again, however this was short term as he was killed by Lucien after being bitten by him and injected with a venom lethal to Originals.
- Elijah Mikaelson is the third oldest sibling. He is handsome and sophisticated, with a highly developed sense of morality. Although he loved his younger brother Niklaus, he became vengeful when Klaus hunted down and neutralized his family, and swore to take his revenge. It wasn't until Klaus revealed that their siblings were safe that Elijah began to reconsider, though a few days later Klaus betrayed him by neutralizing him with the White Oak Ash Dagger. He was later released by Damon Salvatore and, with Damon's help, revived his siblings from their daggered sleep and stood up to Klaus before threatening to leave him. Still, after he and Rebekah thought Klaus was dead, they both mourned him, and to this day Elijah holds family above all else.
- Niklaus Mikaelson is a Hybrid and the fourth oldest sibling. He is violent and megalomaniacal, though he tempers his aggression with an appreciation for fine art and worldly pursuits. His legend precedes him throughout the supernatural world as one of the most feared vampires alive. Despite their tumultuous relationship, he remained closest to Elijah and Rebekah. His relationship with his brother Kol appeared much more strained, though manageable, but he saw fit to leave his brother Finn daggered in a box for 900 years. No matter how appallingly he treats his family, he still maintains that they are his to deal with, and anyone else who interferes would suffer the consequences. Once he broke the hybrid curse, his main objective was to create more hybrids, and thus he sought to keep the Petrova Doppelgänger Elena alive.
- Kol Mikaelson is the fifth oldest sibling. Much more of a wildcard than Elijah or Finn, he shares Klaus' affinity for violence and seems to quite enjoy inflicting pain on others. Klaus daggered him in the early 20th century for attempting to create a weapon to use against him, but Elijah revived him along with Finn and Rebekah. Not much is known about his long life; he is said to have made the Original family infamous early on, presumably through indiscriminate killing, and over the years he spent quite a lot of time in the company of witches, from whom he had learned about the legend of the immortal Silas. He was killed by Jeremy Gilbert and the death of his entire bloodline effectively completed the Hunter's Mark. He later made his return as Kaleb, along with his mother Esther and brother Finn who possessed Cassie (and later Lenore) and Vincent respectively. Eventually Kol attempted to help Davina free a group of Vampires that were taken by Finn. As consequence for Kol's betrayal, he was hexed by Finn, and later died. Davina consecrated the body of Kaleb, by doing so Kol (and presumably Kaleb) joined the Witch Ancestors of New Orleans. In A Streetcar Named Desire, Kol was successfully resurrected as an Original Vampire by Davina Claire.
- Rebekah Mikaelson is the sixth sibling (being only older the Henrik) in the Original family and the second daughter of Mikael and Esther. Although she often appears to enjoy the perks of being a vampire along with her brother Klaus, left on her own she reveals a more delicate, human sensitivity beneath her tough façade. Of all the Original siblings, she alone has demonstrated an active desire to become human again. Her relationship with Klaus is complicated: she loves him unconditionally, but they are both quick to anger and Rebekah is usually the one that ends up hurt, often getting daggered for her defiance. Klaus left her daggered for 90 years before reviving her in his quest to create hybrids, and she has since rekindled a relationship with Stefan Salvatore, whom she had fallen in love with in the 1920s. Rebekah briefly possessed the body of a now deceased witch named Eva, in her quest to revive her late brother, Kol. Rebekah was returned to her original body when Aya killed her host body. Aya after fighting with a legion of Strix against Rebekah, which left Aya as the sole survivor. She then staked Rebekah with a cursed weapon, the Cursed Stake, condemning her to insanity should the stake be removed, by turning her into a Ripper. Rebekah had Elijah dagger her so she will no longer be a liability or a threat.
Other Original Vampires
- Alaric Saltzman was an Original in the conceptual sense of the word, and was not related to the Mikaelson family. The witch Esther turned him into a vampire through a modified Immortality Spell with the sole purpose of hunting and killing her remaining children, thus ridding the world of vampires. She designed him to be immune to the White Oak Stake, making him invulnerable, thereby giving him an advantage over her children. However, not wanting to create another immortal being, she tied his life to that of Elena Gilbert, ensuring that Alaric would live only one lifetime, just long enough to kill Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah and Kol before Elena died a natural death. He is only a vampire for a few days before he died; Rebekah escaped him and killed Elena to end Alaric's life after he seemed to have killed Klaus. Later in Home, he was resurrected. It is unknown what weakness could have lead to his death upon resurrection, as Elena was no longer human but a vampire. He was either linked to her vampire life, or might be truly immortal. Alaric is no longer an Original Vampire anymore. He was pulled over the Mystic Falls no magic zone and the magic that made him an Enhanced Original Vampire was stripped from him, rendering him human, and briefly dying from the stab wound that turned him before being brought back by Jo's medical training.
- Lucien Castle was the first vampire sired by Klaus over 1,000 years ago, and the first sired vampire in general. After having a century stolen from his life, where he believed he was Klaus Mikaelson due to Elijah compelling him to be a distraction for Mikael, he desired revenge on the Original Family and wanted to become superior. Lucien made Vincent Griffith cast the Immortality Spell in Mystic Falls through a reverse engineered version of Esther's spell, yet with alterations and he became the Beast, seemingly from the Prophecy, an upgraded original vampire. With his spell, he added werewolf venom to the ingredients, which infused him with a bite made of seven strains of werewolf toxin, capable of killing Original Vampires, such as Finn, without the need of a White Oak Stake. Lucien's serum also granted the user superior speed and strength over normal Originals, the source of this physical superiority is unknown though it is possible it is either due to the spell being reverse engineered or their previous vampirism being amplified. A desperate Freya Mikaelson was able to cast the Immortality Reversal Spell on Lucien, allowing Klaus to kill him.
- Marcel Gerard became the last Beast and the true Beast of Prophecy by taking Lucien's second serum, one he intended for Aurora. Marcel became an Upgraded Original to get revenge on the Mikaelson Family, as they had sacrificed the life and soul of Davina Claire to stop Lucien. Marcel has since neutralized the Originals by biting Kol and Elijah, poisoning Freya, and daggering Klaus with Papa Tunde's Blade, taking back New Orleans from the Mikaelsons, once again becoming the king of the city. Despite the Mikaelsons finding cures to his bites and recovering, Marcel still remains the king in New Orleans and is still a superior Upgraded Original. Despite having the venom to kill the Originals, they now know of a means to cure his bite. Marcel nonetheless remains a more powerful adversary, but has since made a truce with the Mikaelsons. Despite Freya forging a dagger that can kill an Upgraded Original, made of her blood, Esther's binding magic, and Lucien's ashes, Marcel still allows them to stay in the city, and helps them in their battle against the Hollow, an ancient evil over 1500 years old, that is the most powerful witch spirit the vampires have ever faced.
- Season Three's slogan was "Year of the Originals".
- Alaric is an Original vampire through species, having the same powers or even superior but even less weaknesses, though he is not part of the Original family of vampires.
- Also, the Beasts Lucien Castle, and Marcel Gerard, like Alaric before them, are the only other two types of Original Vampires not part of the Mikaelson Family, with Lucien having been cured and killed, leaving Marcel as the last Upgraded Original.
- Julie Plec announced before Season Four the possibility that other vampires could have lived before the Mikaelsons. This is later proven true in the form of the world's first Immortals; Silas and Amara.
- Elijah is the first Original vampire to appear in the series.
- Rebekah is the only female Original vampire and the youngest of the Original family.
- Kol is the youngest male of the Original family.
- Alaric was both the youngest Original vampire and youngest male Original vampire, as well as the shortest-lived Original vampire
- In an Interview with the Atlanta CW69, Julie Plec confirms that Alaric was "the most powerful villain in the show" In a another Interview with Entertainment Weekly, Julie Plec refers to Alaric as a "Super Original vampire". which means he was equal with Klaus as the most powerful Original. With his death in The Departed, Klaus became the single most powerful Original until Mikael's resurrection, however, with Alaric also being resurrected in Home, Alaric is once again equal with Klaus as the most powerful Original. Alaric has since had his vampirism stripped and is however no longer an original.
- Klaus, alongside Alaric (formerly) and Mikael, is the most powerful Original because he is also a Hybrid.
- In the novels, the Original vampires are called "The Old Ones".
- The origin of The Old Ones is not fully described in the novels, however, L.J. Smith once stated that The Old Ones were never human, and that they are older than the pyramids.
- The Original's have been called "The Old Ones" twice; once by Hayley Marshall in The Rager, upon meeting Klaus, and in Always and Forever, Davina Claire refers to the Originals as Old Ones.
- Mikael, Finn, Kol, and Elijah are the only Original vampires of the Original family to have been permanently killed, though Mikael, Finn, Kol, and Elijah have been resurrected at times with their powers intact. Mikael has since been permanently killed by Klaus again for the Viking ash his corpse would leave behind, ingredients needed for a weapon to kill Dahlia, cheap shooting Mikael again by pinning him to a wall with the White Oak Stake just touching his heart before executing him without a fight. Finn has also since been killed permanently a final time after being bitten by Lucien Castle as an Upgraded Original with a werewolf bite capable of killing Originals.
- Alaric was killed when Elena died as a human and is also considered permanently dead.
- After Mikael and Finn was killed, Elijah became the oldest living Original vampire.
- Klaus, Amy, Phillipe, Adrienne and James were five old vampires who were supposed to appear in the show, but they were removed and instead came the Original Family.
- Officially Klaus was removed and Niklaus appears.
- Officially Amy was removed and Esther appears.
- Officially Phillipe was removed and Elijah appears.
- Officially Adrienne was removed and Rebekah appears.
- Officially James was removed and Finn appears.
- When an Original vampire dies, all of the vampires created from their bloodline dies along with them.
- The Original vampires are the origin of the type of vampirism that we see throughout the show, however they are not the first vampires to exist, though Silas doesn't like to be called "Vampire".
- The Original vampires appear in 13 episodes in Season Two, 21 episodes in Season Three, 21 episodes in Season Four and 2 episodes in Season Five so far.
- Klaus will appear in one episode in Season Seven.
- Finn was the first original vampire to be killed by a human, Matt.
- A spin-off series called The Originals has been produced and is currently in its Third season. The spin-off was picked up by the CW for a full season run.
- Episode 4x20 served as a backdoor pilot.
- It focuses on the Original family.
- Mikael and Alaric are the only Original Vampires with no bloodline.
- The Original vampires cannot be killed by the silver daggers, only temporarily neutralized for as long as the dagger remains in the Original.
- Although they hurt him when he is stabbed with them, Klaus is not effected by the dagger because of his werewolf side.
- The Gold Dagger, however, was created specifically to work on Klaus.
- Mikael and Finn are the only Original vampires not daggered by Klaus.
- Alaric is the only Original vampire that can't be killed with the White Oak Stake. It is possible that because the White Oak Tree is not his weakness, as his transformation did not draw upon the tree, the daggers would not be able to neutralize him either, making him and Klaus the only Original vampires who cannot be neutralized by the daggers.
- Klaus is the first and only Original vampire and undead being to father a child.
- It has been confirmed by Michael Narducci that Mikael's amplified human strength is why he is stronger than his children, even Klaus. Originally, it was assumed it was due to vampire blood. While the siblings were all of relatively equal strength as humans/witches, it explains why, when turned, how Elijah and Klaus can fight evenly, and why Mikael can easily overpower his children, as he was older and stronger as a human Viking warrior.
- Season One of The Vampire Diaries is the first (and only) season that doesn't feature an Original vampire.
- As humans, each Original was killed by being stabbed in the heart before they transitioned, including Alaric. This may be why as vampires, they must be staked in the heart or daggered in the heart to kill them, though it should be noted that a vampire's heart still beats and so would naturally be vulnerable to impalement by something they are weak to.
- The Original Vampires can be considered the vampire equivalent of royalty, as they were the first vampires, the most dangerous, indestructible, and the most powerful. They demonstrate that the rules other vampires make for the vampire species does not apply to them and will do what they want. They demand respect and become violent and murderous if disrespected. In their minds, their rules are the true and absolute laws for vampires.
- Despite being born witches, most of the Originals had not tapped into their power according to Kol, however, once Esther was consecrated in New Orleans and became a part of the Ancestors, the Originals shared in that Ancestral Magic once they participated in the Harvest Ritual. While the Originals still alive could not practice magic, their spirits, especially of the deceased members, have access to Ancestral Magic as shown with Kol and Finn.
- Finn's spirit is revealed to still be a powerful witch despite being bound inside Freya's Talisman, as she was able to channel his powers with his consent to help Rebekah.
- Although never mentioned or confirmed, Rebekah once stated that she'd like to remove Klaus' heart and "watch it grow back," though it is unclear if this would actually happen since Elijah attempted to kill Klaus this way.
- It is likely that this was just an expression, as Elijah would have been successful had he ripped out Klaus' heart while Bonnie used her empowered magic to leave Klaus on the verge of death, weakening the magic that maintains an Original's abilities and immortality. No creature on either show can survive heart extraction, thus if somehow an Original could have their heart ripped out from their body being weakened such as when Klaus almost died, then that Original would die.
- It has been rumored by The Trinity and The Strix that there is indeed one other weapon that can permanently kill an Original vampire aside from the now-destroyed white oak stake. It had been revealed that some White Oak survived, the toy that Klaus carved was made from the White Oak.
- The Strix never possessed it. But one member of the Trinity Aurora de Martel did.
- The weapon has since been reshaped into seven wooden bullets. As of An Old Friend Calls, there is only one known bullet left that Aurora secretly hid had her plans failed, and is the last known wood from the White Oak Tree left on earth.
- The last bullet has since been used by Lucien Castle when he and the Ancestors forced Vincent to cast an upgraded form of the Immortality Spell to make Lucien, and later Marcel Gerard into the Beasts, Upgraded Original Vampires that can kill Original Vampires. The last bullet is now gone as it was used as an ingredient to make the serum that granted Lucien and Marcel their powers and immortality.