|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 20|
|Air date||April 28th 2011|
|Written by||Andrew Chambliss & Brian Young|
|Directed by||J. Miller Tobin|
|Episode Guide transcript|
The Sun Also Rises
The Last Day is the twentieth episode of the Second Season and it is the forty-second episode in the series.
NEVER IS A VERY LONG TIME - Damon is willing to go to extraordinary lengths to prevent Elena from being a victim of Klaus' plan to break the curse. Damon’s actions put him at terrible odds with Stefan and the tension that started brewing between the brothers over their differing opinions of how to help save Elena’s life blows up into full-scale conflict. Tyler returns to Mystic Falls after receiving a disturbing phone call. With the full moon marking the arrival of the sacrifice ritual, Stefan and Elena spend a romantic day together afraid it might be their last.
The episode opens with Damon thinking while laying in bed. He gets up to speak to Elijah, Elena and Stefan. Elijah repeats that if Klaus breaks the curse he will become a hybrid of a werewolf and a vampire. Damon suggests that they could kill him using Bonnie, but Elena again says that's not an option. She asks where she fits into the ritual and Elijah explains that the ritual will end with Klaus drinking the blood of the doppelgänger to the point of her death. He reveals that he has an elixir he got for Katherine, which will be able to resuscitate Elena after she dies. Damon is unimpressed and says that the potion might not work but Elena is willing to take the chance.
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert/Katherine Pierce
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert (credit only)
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett (credit only)
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood
- Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman
- Daniel Gillies as Elijah Mikaelson
- Susan Walters as Carol Lockwood
- Joseph Morgan as Niklaus Mikaelson
- Michaela McManus as Jules
- Marguerite MacIntyre as Elizabeth Forbes
- Antagonist: Niklaus Mikaelson
- This episode marks Tyler biting Damon, and Jenna becoming a vampire.
- Elena admits to Stefan that she doesn't want at become a vampire in this episode.
- Bonnie and Jeremy do not appear in this episode.
- Caroline was last seen in The Last Dance
- This episode had 2.679 million viewers in the USA, making it the least watched episode in season 2.
- Bambi is referenced by Elena in 'The Last Day'
- Damon calls Matt "Boy Wonder". That was one of the nicknames for Robin, Batman's sidekick.
- Damon We both knew that elixir wound't have worked anyway.
- Elijah (To Damon about Elena): "The problem, Damon. You talk a good game but you don’t actually know anything. She'll never forgive you. And 'never' for a vampire? It's a very long time."
- Elena (To Stefan): "I'll never be able to watch 'Bambi' again."
- Stefan (To Elena): "If it was my choice I'd want to be with you forever."
- Elena (To Stefan): "I was supposed to grow up. Decide if I want to have kids and start a family. Grow old. I was supposed to have a lifetime of those choices, and now it's all gone. I don't want to be a vampire, Stefan. I never wanted to be one."
- Klaus (To Damon): "I've heard about you. The crazy, impulsive vampire in love with his brother's girl. I knew one of you would try to stop me. It was just a 50-50 guess on who."
- Damon: "Elijah’s an original vampire, Stefan. One we tried to kill. You don’t believe this guy."
- Stefan: "What do you want me to do Damon? Elena made her decision. She’s choosing to trust Elijah. I’m going to put my faith in her."
- Damon: "Why? She’s just going to end up dead."
- Stefan: "Because she put her faith in me. She chose to trust me in spite of what I am. If I’m going to bet on someone instincts it’s going to be hers."
- Damon: "Then that makes you the biggest idiot of them all."
- Stefan: "She chose to trust you too."
- Damon: "Maybe you shouldn’t be so sure about her instincts."
- Damon: "Any reason you stopped by to say hi?"
- Klaus : "I'm told you and your brother fancy my doppelganger. Just thought I'd remind you not to do anything you'll regret."
- Damon: (chuckles) "Thanks for the advice. I don't suppose I could talk you into a postponement by any chance, huh?"
- Klaus: "You are kidding. (to Alaric) He is kidding, right?"
- Alaric: "No. Not really"
- Damon: "I mean, come on, what's one month in the whole grand scheme of things?"
- Klaus: "Let me be clear. I have my vampire, I have my werewolf, I have everything I need. The ritual will happen tonight. So if you want to live to see tomorrow, don't screw it up."
- (Klaus walks away; Damon sits down next to Alaric)
- Damon: "That was fun."
- Alaric: "You're gonna screw it up, aren't you?"
- Damon: "You think if I took his werewolf out of the equation, she might get over the fact that I tried to turn her into a vampire?"
- Alaric: "I think it won't matter because you'll be dead."
- Damon: "But without the werewolf, he can't perform the ritual tonight, which means I would have bought her one month before the next full moon."
- Alaric: "And you'll still be dead."
- Damon: "You gonna help me or what?"
- Alaric: "What do you want me to do?"