|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 18|
|Air date||April 14, 2011|
|Written by||Michael Narducci|
|Directed by||John Behring|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
Know Thy Enemy
DANCING WITH DANGER — As the high school prepares to throw a 1960s Decade Dance, Elena starts receiving disturbing messages from Klaus via an unusual source. Bonnie tries to reassure Jeremy that she is strong enough to help Elena, but a worried Jeremy asks Stefan for advice. Caroline talks Matt into taking her to the dance. Expecting Klaus to show up at the dance, Damon and Alaric attend as chaperones, but Klaus is playing a complicated game that keeps them on the edge. Finally, Damon comes up with a new plan of action that shocks and upsets everyone.
|The episode opens with Klaus, who is still possessing Alaric, checking his knowledge of Mystic Falls and the residents by forcing Katherine to tell him everything that she knows. She confirms that the dagger is in Elijah, who is in the Salvatores' basement and reminds him that Jenna is angry with Alaric. Klaus asks her what else she knows, but Katherine says she has told him everything and begs him just to kill her now. Klaus suggests that Katherine might not know everything and compels her to tell him what the others could be keeping from her. Katherine reveals that they were trying to see if Bonnie could kill an original without the dagger, but admits that she doesn't know if Bonnie has her powers back. Again, she asks him to kill her, but Klaus tells her that he has searched for her for 500 years and will make her death last at least half that long. He hands her a knife and tells her to stab herself in the leg. She does, and Klaus tells her that he wants her to do it over and over again while he is out. He leaves to find Elena. As he leaves, Katherine stabs herself again.
Elena signs the paperwork to take control of the Salvatore home as a safehouse. Outside, Damon asks if Bonnie can take on Klaus and Stefan explains that she thinks she can channel enough witches' power to do it. The pair wonder if Klaus has killed Katherine. They go to get into the house, but as Elena now owns it, she has control. She invites Stefan inside, but refuses to let Damon in until he agrees to play by Elena's rules. Eventually he gets in, but Stefan and Damon are shocked to see Elena and Bonnie are leaving for school. Elena points out that she doesn't want to be a prisoner and adds that she has Bonnie to protect her. Stefan decides to go with them.
The episode ends with Elena saying goodnight to Damon and slipping down to the cellar without his knowledge. She looks at Elijah's body and pulls the dagger out of his chest.
- Antagonist: Klaus.
- Tyler does not appear in this episode.
- Jenna does not appear in this episode.
- Klaus appears in this episode in Alaric's body.
- Damon and Elena dance in this episode, this is the second time they dance in the series since they first danced in Miss Mystic Falls.
- Elena undaggers Elijah in this episode to help kill Klaus.
- Bonnie fakes her death to protect Elena.
- Damon was the only one aware of Bonnie's plan to fake her death.
- Foreshadowing: Klaus says that he preferred the '20s over the '60s (as a party theme). The next decade dance in Do Not Go Gentle would use a 1920's speakeasy theme.
- This is the second decade dance after the '50s Decade Dance as seen in Unpleasantville.
- This is the fourth episode of the third chapter of Season Two, The Klaus/Curse Chapter (The Dinner Party to As I Lay Dying.)
- In scene where Bonnie is dead and has her eyes shut is actually wrong, a dead person's eyes can not actually be shut without the use of tools and equipment.
- The Beatles an English rock band, formed in Liverpool in 1960.
- "Save the Last Dance for Me " is a song by The Drifters in which a man tells his beloved that at the end of the day, they will be together. "So you can go, dance, flirt, but at the end, save the last dance for me" Things need to happen at the right time, there are relationships that could work and perhaps will work, just not right now. (that's what Damon tells Elena...)
- MiFi is a wireless router released by Verizon in 2009. Because so many viewers are now skipping or fast forwarding commercial breaks they need to use product placement to have the sponsors in context, as part of the story. This MiFi was one of the clunkier and more obvious ones.
- The Last Dance may also refer to:
- The Last Dance (band), a darkwave rock band
- The Last Dance (Magnum album), 1996
- The Last Dance (Spice 1 album), 2000
- The Last Dance (Steps album), 2002
- The Last Dance (40 Below Summer album), 2006
- The Last Dance (EP), a 1993 EP by Disco Inferno
- "The Last Dance" (Clare Maguire song), a single from singer-songwriter Clare Maguire
- The Last Dance (Sista dansen), a 1993 Swedish film
- "The Last Dance", a song written by Jimmy Van Heusen and Sammy Cahn
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.81 million viewers in USA.
- Damon: "Let me be clear about something. If it comes down to you and the witch again, I will gladly let Bonnie die. I will always choose you."
- Klaus (in Alaric's body): "I’ve searched for you for over 500 years. Your death is going to last at least half that long."
- Klaus (about Elijah): "Okay that dagger needs to stay exactly where it is. Last thing I need to do is resurrect Elijah. That guy is a buzz-kill."
- Dana: "Hey Elena there you are. Okay this is gonna sound freaky, but this totally hot guy just asked me to ask you if you’re going to the dance tonight."
- Bonnie: "Tell him she has a boyfriend."
- Dana: "You could at least meet him. He’ll be at the dance tonight, look for him! His name is Klaus. I know the name is stupid but I swear he’s hot."
- Damon: "Come on it’s a decade dance. The vampires were all wraaaah and you were all like waaaah."
- Elena: "Right and you won."
- Damon: "Yes, we did."
- Damon: "Your secret’s safe with me. I mean, with all that power, is there no way to increase your odds?"
- Bonnie: "Careful Damon. I might start to think that you actually care."
- Damon: "We wouldn’t want that."