|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 15|
|Air date||February 17th 2011|
|Written by||Andrew Chambliss|
|Directed by||Marcos Siega|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
The House Guest
STEFAN TELLS ELENA ABOUT HIS DARKEST DAYS - Stefan tells Elena about a dark time in his history and the surprising person whose influence changed everything, and how he's a "ripper". After getting the truth out of Luka, Jonas makes his feelings clear to Bonnie and Jeremy. Trying to catch Elijah off-guard, Damon arranges a dinner party for him with Jenna, Alaric, and Andie, but last-minute information throws Damon's plan into chaos.
|Still at her family cabin, Elena reads Jonathan Gilbert's old journals about vampires. Stefan explains that when he first became a vampire, he was out of control from guilt and fear, leading him to turn off his emotions and to behave recklessly.
Stefan goes to warn Alaric. At the party, Alaric stops Damon just in time and surprises everyone by stabbing Elijah. Elijah appears dead, and they put his body in the cellar before Jenna comes back. Unfortunately, Elena discovers that the dagger must stay in the body for the Original to stay dead. When Damon goes back to check on Elijah, he finds that the body is gone.
Elijah shows up at the lake house and tells Elena that their deal is off, demanding that Elena comes with him. Elena threatens to turn herself into a vampire, but Elijah calls her bluff. She stabs herself and Elijah realizes that she'll either die or turn into a vampire if Stefan heals her with his blood. Elijah begs her to let him heal her; as Elena moves towards him, she stabs him with the white oak dagger. Elena turns to Damon and Stefan and demand that they tell her everything from now on, and that she's decided to fight, rather than sacrifice herself.
- Antagonist: Elijah Mikaelson.
- This episode had about 3.07 million viewers in the USA.
- It is the sixth flashback episode.
- Tyler does not appear in this episode, the beginning of a four-episode absence for his character exactly like Bonnie during Season One.
- This is first episode of Season Two where Caroline doesn't appear. Matt doesn't appear in this episode either.
- John 's claim about the white ash wood killing an Original proved to be correct, but only as long as the dagger stays temporarily in Elijah's heart.
- Jonas takes away Bonnie's powers in this episode.
- Following Elijah 's 'death', Katherine finally escapes the tomb after being there for 8 episodes.
- This indicates when an Original is daggered, their compulsion is lifted.
- Foreshadowing: Katherine tells Damon that "killing an Original is a suicide mission". It turns out it really is - if a vampire daggers an original, that vampire would die.
- Foreshadowing: When they find the moonstone on Elijah 's body, Damon calls it the "moonstone bar of soap", indicating its future hiding place in Damon's soap tray.
- After hearing that Jules and Tyler left, Damon says the "werewolf chapter" ended. This is the name given to the episodes 8-14.
- This is the first episode of the third and final chapter in Season 2, The Klaus/Curse Chapter.
- Elijah is 'killed' with a silver dagger and white oak ash on-screen for the first time.
- Damon says he will "dot his t's". The full expression is "Dot my i's and cross my t's" and it means that one should check all the details, no matter how small. Just as he botched the expression, Damon did not check all the details because he did not know that wielding the blade would be fatal for a vampire.
- "Guess who is coming for dinner" is a 1967 movie about a young woman introducing her family to her high educated and well mannered black fiancé. The events of the movie also take place during a dinner party.
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - is a fantasy novel for children by C. S. Lewis.
- The Dinner Party is the name of an installation artwork by feminist artist Judy Chicago depicting place settings for 39 mythical and historical famous women.
- The Dinner Party is also the name of 2007 movie.
- Elijah: "I need to find Elena. Now."
- Elena: "I'd like to see you lure Klaus into Mystic Falls after the doppelgänger bleeds to death."
- Elijah: "Stefan won't let you die."
- Elena: "No he won't; he'll feed me his blood to heal me, then I'll kill myself and become a vampire just like Katherine did. So unless you want that to happen again, promise me the same as before. Promise me that you won't harm anyone that I love even if they've harmed you."
- Elijah: "I`m sorry, Elena. I`m going to have to call your bluff."
Elena stabs herself
- Elijah: "NO!"
- Elijah: "Yes, yes you can have your deal. Let me heal you."
- Elena: "Give me your word."
- Elijah: "I give you my word."
Elena exits the house and heads to Elijah. He hugs her, but she daggers him.
- Lexi: "Because once you can hurt, you can love. Love, Stefan. That's the point."
- Elijah: "Alaric Saltzman. So you're one of those people on Elena's list of loved ones to protect?"
- Alaric: "So is Jenna."
- Elijah: "You don't have to be jealous. I don't really pursue younger women. It's a joke, Ric, lighten up."
- Alaric: "Right."
- Damon: "There's no such thing as a bad idea. Only poorly executed, awesome ones."
- Stefan: "Elena, you’ve agreed to sacrifice yourself to Klaus. To say that we have a difference of opinion is the understatement of the century."
- Elena: "You would know."
- Elijah called Andie "Miss Dawn", which is the name of the actress who plays Andie.