SEARCHING FOR THE HIGH ROAD - When Enzo brings Damon a gruesome present and insists that they bond by committing an act of revenge, Damon makes an effort to do the honorable thing. After finding himself in awkward and confusing conversations with Nadia, Matt impulsively decides to throw a party, where Caroline makes a stunning confession to Elena (Katherine), then has to face the consequence of her actions with Stefan and Tyler. Aaron does his best to make amends for his family's past misdeeds and start a new life for himself. Finally, Elena suddenly finds herself in a life-threatening situation with only minutes to figure out how to save herself.
The episode starts with Katherine in Elena's body meeting Matt. She reveals to him right away that she is not Elena but Katherine. The reason is because she wants him to tell her everything she should know about Elena so she will be able to pretend being her without anyone noticing it. She then compels him to not reveal her secret.
Then time goes a little back to earlier that day, where Nadia worries that Elena is going to turn up and take over her body and she informs Katherine that they have to make the transfer permanent. To do that, they are gonna need her body so she chains Katherine to the bed, in case Elena takes over and escapes, and she goes to the Salvatore house to ask for Katherine's body. Damon get rids of Katherine's body and tells Stefan that Katherine is were she should always be. Nadia shows up demanding the corpse but Damon refuses to tell her where it is so she leaves without getting what she wants. In the meantime, Elena takes over while Nadia is gone and she gets free from the chains. Before she manages to call someone, Nadia comes back and she calls Katherine back. Nadia tells her that she didn't manage to take her body back and Katherine says she will go to Tyler's welcome party and find out where Damon buried it.
Aaron searches for Elena but he finds Caroline instead. She offers to take a message for Elena and he tells her that he cut off the funding for the vampire experiments and he apologizes for everything they went through because of the Augustine company. Aaron leaves but when he gets back to his home, Enzo appears and attacks him. Stefan tries to get Damon and Elena back together and he asks Caroline's help. Caroline doesn't want to help him but when Stefan explains her that Elena is good for Damon since she makes him happy and that way he is not walking around killing people, Caroline agrees to help him.
Damon comes home and finds Enzo waiting for him on his couch with Aaron unconscious lying on the floor. When Damon asks him what does he want, Enzo tells him that he brought him the last Whitmore to kill him so the two of them start fresh. Damon tries to explain that he doesn't want to do it when Aaron wakes up. Enzo pushes Damon to do it but Damon break's Enzo's neck instead and compels Aaron to leave town and never come back.
At the party, Katherine tries to learn where her body is. Stefan, thinking that she is Elena, tells her that Damon wants her back but she asks him if he knows where Katherine's body is because they should give her a funeral. Stefan says he doesn't know where the body is but that Damon said "he put her where she was always meant to be" and Katherine figures out where Damon put her body; at the tomb under the church where Damon thought she was all those years. Katherine tries to say goodbye to everyone before she leaves the party so she can go to the tomb but Caroline wants to talk to her about what happened between her and Klaus. Katherine is shocked hearing the news but when she sees Tyler standing a little far away, she starts talking about it so he can hear her. Tyler gets angry hearing that and he leaves the room leaving Caroline standing there not knowing what to do. She later tries to explain him but he doesn't let her, reminding her all the horrible things Klaus had done. Caroline doesn't leave and he shouts her to get out while he is ready to turn into a wolf when Stefan comes in and stops him.
Katherine gets to the tomb where she finds Nadia and the traveler who will cast the spell, along with the body. The traveler starts the process when Elena takes over and sees what is happening. She continues pretending she is Katherine till she figures out what to do. She finally attacks the traveler and Nadia and runs away before they complete the ritual. Nadia tells the traveler to finish the spell anyway, something that she does. Elena finds Damon but Katherine takes over her body before she manages to tell him what Katherine is doing. Damon tries to get her back telling her that he messed up but Katherine, as Elena, tells him that the two of them are over for good and she walks away. She goes back to the tomb to find Nadia and tells her that she doesn't want to leave Mystic Falls but stay and get Stefan back.
The episode ends with Enzo and Damon catching up on Aaron who was trying to get out of the town. Aaron tells Damon that he asked him to go away so he will be safe but Damon, after Katherine/Elena telling him that he is a monster he decides to be that way and kills Aaron.
- Antagonists: Nadia, Katherine, Mia, Damon and Enzo.
- Title Meaning: The Devil Inside refers to Katherine living inside of Elena's body.
- Regular handcuffs are shown to not be able to hold vampires when Elena was able to literally break herself out of them after she had briefly regained control of her body from Katherine. However, right afterward, Nadia called Katherine's spirit forth again before Elena is able to call for help.
- This is the first episode in which Elena is in danger and no one knows about it. As a result, no one is there to help her out of it.
- Nadia and Mia are the only ones who interact with the real Elena in this episode while Elena's only interactions are with Nadia and Mia.
- This is Elena's last appearance until Gone Girl.
- Elena knocks out Mia and impales Nadia to stop Mia from doing the spell that will allow Katherine to have permanent possession of her body before she escapes from the Tomb. Unfortunately, Nadia helped Mia recover enough to finish the spell, making Katherine's possession permanent.
- For some reason, Elena doesn't kill Nadia and Mia when she had the chance, which allowed Mia to complete the spell after she left. However, this could be attributed to the fact that Elena was more concerned with getting away and telling her loved ones what was happening so they could help her, and as a result wasn't thinking rationally.
- Jeremy and Bonnie do not appear in this episode, but Jeremy does appear in archive footage during the montage of Katherine's memories that Elena experiences.
- The party Matt throws in this episode is a welcome home party for Tyler, who had just come back from his attempt to get back at Klaus in New Orleans.
- Elena becomes the first character to have a Passenger (Katherine) be given full control over their body, Nadia had planned to do this to Matt with Gregor. The next character who will experience this will be Tyler in What Lies Beneath.
- This episode marks the first time Elena (and, by proxy, Katherine), Stefan, and Damon have been invited into the Lockwood Mansion since Matt became the legal owner.
- Elena's birthday is confirmed to be June 22nd, which makes her birth sign Cancer.
- The PIN code on Elena's phone was 0622, her birthday.
- Jeremy's birthday is established in this episode as October 13.
- Elena and Jeremy are the latest characters whose birthday's are revealed in the TVD/TO Universe after Katherine Pierce and Hayley Marshall.
- Tyler, Katherine, Stefan and Matt find out that Caroline has slept with Klaus, which happened in the previous episode.
- Damon kills Aaron at the end of the episode.
- Aaron's death marks the end of the the Whitmore family line.
- Mia - heart extraction, killed by Katherine.
- Aaron Whitmore - blood drained, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Aaron Whitmore and Enzo were last seen in Fifty Shades of Grayson.
- This is the second time that Nadia appears in three consecutive episodes.
- This is the second time Katherine compels Matt to do her bidding. The first time was at the end of Plan B.
- This episode marks the start of the arc in which Elena has the least amount of screen time this season.
- The vampire's tomb was last seen in The Last Day.
- This is the last appearance of Elena Gilbert until Gone Girl.
- Matt became the legal owner of the Lockwood Mansion in Bring It On, and, per Tyler's orders, did not invite any vampires into the house except for Caroline until this episode.
- The Lockwood Mansion was last seen in For Whom the Bell Tolls.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- McKinley, Virginia
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.42 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.30 million less than the previous episode.
- Hashtag during the airing is #MattsHouseParty
- The Devil Inside is the title of a 2012 American Supernatural Horror film.
- Devil Inside is also the title of a song by INXS.
- Devil Inside was also the title of episodes 11 and 12, a two part episode, of Season 5 of the TV Series Medium in 2009.
- The Devil Inside was also the title of season 4, episode 11 of the series Republic of Doyle in 2013.
- The Devil Inside is also the title of the first book in The Exorcist novel series by Morgan Kingsley.
- Extended Promo
- Nadia: "Once Mia does her spell, Elena will be gone forever, and this body will be yours for good."
- Nadia: "I'm here for Katherine's body."
- Damon: "You ain't getting it."
- Katherine: "Did you get my body?"
- Stefan: "Could be a bit of a problem."
- Nadia: "Tell me where she is!"
- Elena: "Oh my god!"
- Damon: "I'm not giving the body back, quit giving me that damn pouty face."
- Stefan: "I'm not giving you the pouty face, this is my you're completely miserable face."
- Webclip #1
- Stefan: "Where you been."
- Damon: "Just out."
- Stefan: "Define out."
- Damon: "One who hovers and sticks his nose into other people's business, oh sorry I was defining annoying." (Damon shuffles trying to shake some mud off his shoes)
- Stefan: "That's funny."
- Damon: "Katherine's rotting corpse was stinking up the house so I got rid of it."
- Stefan: "Could be a bit of a problem."
- Damon: "Oh and why's that." (Stefan nods his head to Nadia who walks out behind him)
- Nadia: "Because I'm here for Katherine's body."
- Damon: "Your outta luck, you ain't gettin it."
- Nadia: "My mother asked to be buried with her family in Bulgaria."
- Damon: "And nothing gives me greater joy than to deny her dying wish."
- Webclip #2
- Tyler: "You still own my house."
- Matt: "Yeah, legally it's not like I pay the bills"
- Tyler: "Yeah, but it means you have to invite certain people in tonight. People like Elena..Stefan."
- Matt: "That’s your lame way of asking if I invited Caroline"
- Tyler: "Pretty much!"
- Matt: "Yeah, she’s coming. So you say you’re starting over you’re basically saying you want Caroline back?"
- Tyler: "Just get the cups.. Okay!"
- Damon: "Come on. Katherine is exactly where she always belonged. I'm not giving the body back. Quit giving me that damn pouty face."
- Stefan: "I'm not giving you the pouty face. This is my "you're being a dick face." Elena hasn't called you back. It's making you completely miserable."
- Damon: "Yeah. I'm completely miserable."
- Stefan: "I invited her. Caroline agreed to help you get Elena back."
- Damon: "You? You hate me! You once told me that calling me Satan was an insult to Satan."
- Caroline: "Well..... nobody is perfect."
- Damon: "I know. Just hear me out... just hear me out. You are literally the best person I've ever known and for me to think I could change you gives me way too much credit; and you... not nearly enough. You are the best influence on me. I need you. You are the good.. And I need a little good in my life. Because without it, there's an awful lot of darkness."
- Tyler: "This is a big-ass-house. I live in a freaking mansion. My parents are dead.. the girl that I love slept with my nemesis and I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. Which, get this, lasts forever. But I got a big-ass-house."
- Enzo: "Damon's teaching me a little game. See, he assured me you'd be on this road, heading out of town."
- Aaron: "You said that you were gonna let me go."
- Damon: "I did. I tried."
- Aaron: "Does Elena know that you're here?"
- Damon: "She's the reason that I'm here! No, scratch that, I'm the reason I'm here."
- Aaron: "What do you want, Damon?"
- Damon: "I want the same thing you want, Aaron. Go back in time, fix the past, get someone back I've lost."
- Aaron: "Everyone I've lost was because of you. Who murdered my entire family? YOU."
- Enzo: "Justifiably."
- Damon: "Either way, I did it. I tore them apart. I liked the sounds they made because I realized they deserved it. Like you..."
- Aaron: "Elena was too good for you."
- Damon: "I use to think that. Yeah. I had to be better to deserve her love, or she had to be worse to accept mine... I'd lay in the middle of the road, looking up at the stars and having conversations with people like you, trying to convince myself that killing them was a bad instinct and that sparing their lives was the right thing to do."
- Aaron: "So. What'd you do? Did you kill them?"
- Damon: "It doesn't matter. The point is, I was conflicted. Right now, in this very, very moment, I am crystal clear. You see, Elena thinks I'm a monster. You know what? She's right."
- Enzo: "Now that's the Damon Salvatore I remember."