Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|“||It was the most beautiful letter I'd ever received. And I did love him, with all of my heart.||”|
KLAUS’ PAST COMES BACK TO HAUNT HIM — As the war among the sire lines continues to grow, Klaus receives an unexpected visit by a figure from his past. When Elijah suspects that Tristan is hiding something, he enlists Marcel’s help to find out what he’s up to. Elsewhere, Davina struggles with her role as Regent and seeks advice from Hayley. Finally, an ancient secret that is uncovered threatens to tear the Mikaelson brothers apart for good. Cami and Vincent also appear.
Special Guest Star
- This episode features Davina's 40th appearance in the series, excluding one archive footage only appearance.
- This episode marks Marcel's 50th appearance, since his debut in The Vampire Diaries episode The Originals.
- Elijah uses compulsion for the first time on Aurora and learns that Klaus had killed their mother, revealing that since 1002 he knew his brother killed her, but said nothing to the others. Rebekah found out about it from Elena in 2010, then she told Finn and Kol offscreen when they were all undaggered by Elijah in the same year.
- Elijah revealed that the memory was repressed behind his mental "Red Door" along with the act of compelling Aurora, thus did not remember the confession.
- Aurora had wanted to come along with Klaus, but Elijah's compulsion kept her from leaving with him as she had been compelled to now be against him. Her compulsion wasn't lifted until 1114 when Elijah was daggered for the first time by the Brotherhood of the Five; Elijah realized about the compulsion, but he did not undo it, as it was his way of getting revenge on Klaus for Esther's death.
- Lucien sets up Cami as the killer and is arrested. All of the Dark Objects in her posssesion are taken by the police as evidence.
- Davina uses the witch celebration and lifts the Crescent Curse, telling Hayley keeping the werewolves as slaves is the old way of doing things.
- Davina mentions that she asked the Ancestors to give her the power to lift the curse as it was Cadeau, they granted her wish.
- Marcel having Tristan followed allows Elijah to learn that he and Lucien might have been working together all along.
- Aurora returns to New Orleans to protect her sire, Rebekah.
- The witches of New Orleans celebrates Fête de Cadeau in this episode.
- It is strongly confirmed that Lucien is the serial killer, but the reasons as to why are unknown.
- The title of this episode refers to the Axeman of New Orleans, a well-known yet mysterious serial killer in the early 1900s.
- This episode marks the second flashback of season three which explains how the Original siblings failed at keeping their secrecy and were forced to flee; it also explains about the first three sires.
- Camille, Jackson, Vincent and Detective Will Kinney were last seen in I'll See You in Hell or New Orleans.
- Davina and Van were last seen in You Hung the Moon.
- Rebekah was last seen in Ashes to Ashes, where she left New Orleans for the third time, and in For the Next Millennium through flashbacks.
- Eva Sinclair was mentioned in this episode. She was last seen in Exquisite Corpse, where she was killed by Rebekah within her consciousness, taking permanent control of her body.
- Esther was mentioned by Klaus in flashbacks. She was last seen in Ashes to Ashes, where she died along with her sister, Dahlia.
- Mikael was mentioned in flashbacks. He was last seen in Night Has A Thousand Eyes, where he was killed by Klaus in order to use his corpse's ashes for creating the ultimate weapon to kill Dahlia.
- Josephine LaRue was mentioned by Davina. She was last seen in When the Levee Breaks, where her corpse was reanimated by Dahlia in order to send a message to Klaus and Elijah.
- Alexis was mentioned by Aurora. She was poisoned by her in A Walk on the Wild Side.
- The witch massacre was mentioned in this episode. It occurred in You Hung the Moon.
- Finn was last seen in flashbacks For the Next Millennium.
- Kol was mentioned in this episode. He was last seen in flashbacks For the Next Millennium.
Behind the Scenes
- The Axeman was a serial killer that terrorized the city of New Orleans from May 1918 to October 1919. On March 3rd, 1919, he penned a letter and sent it to local newspapers telling the citizens of his plan to murder anyone who didn't play Jazz music in their home.
- In the teaser, when Finn and Elijah are seen playing some inexplicable game with sticks and cones in the background – that was a game that Daniel Gillies made up on the spot and tried to teach Caspar. There are numerous takes of Klaus giving Aurora a secret smile of love … while Finn and Elijah are failing miserably at this made-up game behind them.
- While Davina presides over the Fete de Kado ceremony in the City of the Dead, one of the pigs squealed so loud we had to stop several takes to quiet the animal. Finally it had to be led off in shame. The rabbit and chicken, however, performed like pros.
- The prop for the love letter Klaus wrote to Aurora got mangled right before filming. So we quickly had a contest to see who on the crew had the best handwriting to rewrite the note. Diane won (with a guy from catering coming in a close second), so that’s her handwriting you see in the show.
- Tristan: "Elijah...I didn't realize we had a meeting on the books today."
- Elijah: "We don't. Unfortunately your assistant refused..... to accommodate me."
- Tristan: "What would you like to discuss?"
- Elijah: "Recent events would suggest that you've been less than forthcoming about threats facing my family."
- Tristan: "A threat to you is a threat to me."
- Elijah: "A naughty, little liar."
- Tristan: "I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about."
- Elijah: "Oh you quite certainly, know precisely what I am talking about. Tristan....I can hear that heart of your racing away."
- Aurora: "It was the most beautiful letter I have ever received. And I did love him with all of my heart. But then eventually our love like the letter crumbled to dust."
- Davina: "Okay! I know this is sacred oil but can we please not do that right now!"