|“||I have all the faith in the world that you'll get what you want, Nik. You always do, no matter what it costs the rest of us. You disgust me.||”|
BETRAYAL AT THE MASQUERADE BALL - After discovering some interesting news about someone in Marcel's inner circle, Klaus and Rebekah come together to attempt to unravel Marcel's empire from within in spite of Elijah's concerns. They enlist help from Sophie, who is reluctant to get involved for fear of the wrath of Marcel's secret weapon, Davina. Rebekah sneakily invites an oblivious Camille to a huge vampire party thrown by Marcel, managing to anger Marcel in the process. Elsewhere, Hayley learns from the witch Sabine that the supernatural creatures of New Orleans are reacting to the potential existence of a hybrid baby and is told the gender of her and Klaus' child.
|War has been declared on The Originals in the city of New Orleans. The witch Davina. Power. Elijah's body. In the Battle of Elijah, Klaus and Rebekah are the victors. Davina's kind of the winner of everything and she's only 16. Maybe she's peaking early?
this episode shows Davina is the key to Marcel's power and is, obviously, the one thing Klaus wants more than anything. Even his own brother.
Even when Elijah is daggered in a coffin and dessicating, he still manages to make an impact.
When Marcel refused to give Elijah's body back sidenote: of course he would refuse, but Klaus "just had to ask" Klaus and Rebekah declared war on Marcel.
One of the things that is consistently making The Originals great to watch is how we're getting to see new sides to these characters. Their plan to infiltrate Marcel's inner circle even further was a work of art. Set up a vampire! Plant a spell! Kill a witch! The plan was mostly Klaus', and we do know he's diabolical, but Rebekah including Cami as a distraction was a stroke of genius.
In order to defeat Marcel, he has to become Marcel's right hand man. That's step one in his plan for taking over New Orleans.
By creating a situation that caused Marcel to go full-on Montresor on his current right hand man Thierry when Thierry broke one of his rules.
Klaus and Rebekah, thanks to two un-vervained vampires, created a situation where Thierry would be forced to choose between his loyalty to Marcel or his love for a witch. Thierry chose love, just like Klaus knew he would, which gave Team Elijah the chance to make a move.
One way or another, Klaus intended to get into Marcel's inner circle. And while Marcel will never trust Klaus, not fully, because he knows Klaus, Marcel likes being alive. Klaus called an audible and took the opportunity to kill Katie just before Katie killed Marcel and that helped to cement his place next to Marcel.
Sending Cami to Marcel with only the memory of a perfect party instead of the confrontation she witnessed probably didn't hurt Klaus' cause either.
Cami brings out the humanity in both men, in Marcel because he likes to see the world the way the humans do and in Klaus because deep down, he's broken and searching for a connection.
It will be interesting to see what happens when Cami figures out that the men she's sharing deep, emotional gazes with are really vampires locked in an epic battle for their city. A battle which centers around a certain teenaged witch.
Of course Klaus wants Davina for himself and of course that revelation comes just after we watch him cozy up to Cami. Soften our hearts to the man just to harden them again posthaste! He doesn't care about his family. He just wants all the power for himself.
But after witnessing Davina's power, is there really any question that he would want that? Given everything we know about Klaus, no, not really. More than he has a thing for blondes, or even for his family, Klaus has a thing for power. finding out Davina is the reason Marcel won't hand over Elijah will only make Klaus work harder to find her. And Klaus will find out. He always does.
- Antagonist: Marcel
- Narrators: Elijah and Rebekah
- Title meaning: a reference to the predominant color of the Masquerade Blue, the stage chosen by Klaus and Rebekah to begin their war against Marcel.
- Tangled Up In Blue was the first episode title revealed for the spin-off The Originals, though the title was never meant to be revealed so early, as it was covered by a pen on the leaked photo.
- The Masquerade Gala was held in this episode and this is the first time it is seen in The Originals.
- Klaus and Rebekah attend the Masquerade Ball together, where Camille mistakes Klaus for Rebekah's on-again, off-again boyfriend that she told her about earlier in the day.
- We learn that Thierry (a vampire) was in a relationship with Katie (a witch).
- Thierry kills a vampire to protect Katie, which broke Marcel's number one rule, which is that vampires don't kill their own kind.
- The Garden, a prison for those who betray Marcel, is shown for the first time in the series.
- Thierry is punished for the crime of killing a fellow vampire by being sentenced to one hundred years in the Garden.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Jackson (albeit in wolf form). It is also the first time that Hayley sees Jackson in wolf form.
- Davina magically helps Marcel to fight against Katie by giving him additional strength to fight her spells.
- Klaus kills Katie to save Marcel and to gain his trust.
- Marcel reveals to Klaus that he saved Thierry from dying from war wounds outside a VA Hospital in the 1940s.
- Marcel agrees to give Elijah back to Klaus to repay him for saving his life by killing Katie.
- However, Elijah would not be returned to his family and Hayley until two episodes later in Sinners and Saints.
- In this episode, it was revealed that Klaus and Hayley's child is a baby girl.
- Sabine receives a vision that Hayley's child is a bad omen for the New Orleans witches.
- In this episode, Elijah refers to himself in his journal entries dating back to the early 14th century as the eldest brother of Klaus and Rebekah. However, Finn is later revealed to be the eldest son. Considering Finn was daggered for 900 years, it can be assumed that Elijah had taken to referring to himself as the eldest child in their absence.
- Camille is compelled by Klaus in this episode to give Marcel another chance, after she witnessed him losing his temper with Thierry at the ball.
- Matt Donovan was mentioned by Klaus.
- Klaus and Rebekah worked together for the first time since The Murder of One in The Vampire Diaries third season.
- Although his identity is not revealed until Crescent City, this episode marks the first appearance of Jackson.
- New Orleans
Behind the Scenes
- Filming for this episode started on the 14th August 2013. 
- This episode had about 2.22 million viewers in USA, which was 0.30 million more than the previous episode.
- Tangled Up in Blue is a song by Bob Dylan. It appeared on his album "Blood on the Tracks" in 1975.
- Tangled Up in Blue is a 2011 politics book by the journalist and Labour councillor Rowenna Davis.