|“||Dear Elena, it's not my turn, but I wanted you to hear it from me. I think I've lost him. All I can do is hope that there is one small piece of his mind tucked away someplace safe.||”|
This is the close brotherly relationship between the vampire doppelgänger, Stefan Salvatore, and the vampire, Damon Salvatore. Their relationship over the years has changed from being best friends to enemies because of a former vampire named Katherine Pierce. But they start to reconnect their old friendship thanks to Elena Gilbert, a former vampire who now is a human again. She is also Katherine's doppelgänger. Their rivalry still flares up due to the constantly changing relationships between Elena and Damon and Elena and Stefan.
Their relationship has improved throughout the series, as they have always been willing to do anything for each other. In Season 5, they appear to be getting along better as brothers, as they appear to have much more intimate moments than they used to before. In the Season 5 finale, Damon gave up his life to save Stefan, which devastates him.
In The World Has Turned and Left Me Here, Damon returned and met Stefan in their family's crypt, where the brothers embraced for the first time since 1864.
Their bromance is known as "Defan".
Early HistoryDamon and Stefan were born to Giuseppe Salvatore and Lilian Salvatore in Mystic Falls in the 1800s. They grew up being best friends but in 1864, a young woman came to stay at the Salvatore Estate, Katherine Pierce. Both brothers were smitten with her and a rivalry for her began. Unknown to them, Katherine was a vampire and she intended to turn them so they could all spend eternity together. She compelled them both to keep her secret as vampires were being hunted. In the end, Katherine chose Stefan over Damon.
Damon was in love with Katerina Petrova and drank her blood willingly when she asked him to, as he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. It is presumed that he was unaware at the time that Katherine was compelling Stefan to drink her blood as well. Stefan was blinded by his love for her as well, and could not believe that vampires were inherently evil, like the Founder's Council and his father believed. He hinted to his father that he believed there was goodness in vampires, unintentionally driving Giuseppe to suspect that a vampire was in contact with his son and spiked his drink with vervain.In a heated moment alone in Stefan's room, Katherine drank Stefan's blood and was instantly weakened by the vervain he had unknowingly ingested earlier. Giuseppe burst into the room and had her taken away. Damon was furious with Stefan, as he had made him promise not to say anything to their father for exactly that reason They decided to free Katherine, but were both shot and killed in the process by their own father. They had Katherine's blood in their system when they were shot, and woke up later by the quarry.
Emily Bennett, Katherine's handmaiden, was a witch, was looking after the brothers when they awoke hours later. She gave them daylight rings, made with the Lapis Lazuli stone and their family crest and initials. After waking up, Stefan realized that he and Damon were in transition to becoming a vampire. Emily told him that to complete the transformation, he would have to drink human blood. The brothers decided to die instead because the only reason they wanted to turn was to be with Katherine, and they thought at the time that she was dead.
Stefan went to see Giuseppe, while Damon went to Fell's Church. Giuseppe, realizing that his son was a vampire, was disgusted and tried to stake him to kill him one last time. However, Stefan was too quick for him, and gravely injured his father in the process. Stefan tried to help him, but the blood was too much, and he couldn't resist drinking from him. He later compelled a young woman to follow him to meet Damon, who had watched Katherine enter the church before it burned down. Stefan convinced a broken hearted Damon to drink the woman's blood so they could be together forever, telling him how euphoric the feeling was. After drinking her blood and becoming a vampire, Damon, still upset that Katherine had chosen to turn Stefan as well as himself, was so angry that he promised his brother an eternity full of misery. From that moment until sometime in 2009, Damon followed Stefan around the world, coming up with new ways to make him miserable.
In the Pilot of The Vampire Diaries, Stefan mentions that the last time he saw Damon was during sometime in the 90's, over 15 years ago.
In Death and the Maiden, Stefan mentioned that on October 18, 1852, Damon broke his nose while trying to teach him how to throw a right hook. However, Damon mentioned that it wasn't on purpose.
Throughout the Vampire Diaries Series
In Season 2, Damon and Stefan are at each others necks, because Damon kissed who he thought was "Elena" but turned out to be Katherine. Stefan was very angry and tried to start a fight in Elena's house, but Elena stops them and the tells Damon she would never kiss him and reassures Stefan that he is hers and she would never kiss Damon. Then the bond between them gets stronger Damon and Stefan stick together to not be involved with Katherine and this causes awkwardness between Elena and Damon as Elena hated Damon because he killed Jeremy.
Later on, Elena was kidnapped and the brother's had to go rescue her. While in Damon's car Stefan tried to prompt Damon to confess his feelings for Elena. At he end of the episode Stefan apologizes to Damon for making him turn
and said he just needed his big brother. Over the last few episodes the brother's seemed to have bonded and are working together peaceably, for now. But Damon is in love Elena, and Stefan knows it. Elena has seemingly forgiven Damon and they are currently friends again. But Damon is having problems fighting his feelings for her and it is inevitable that eventually this will cause greater problems between the temporarily united brothers. Even though Stefan already apologized and explained the reason for wanting Damon to turn, Damon just can`t hide his feelings for Elena and chooses her over him.
He also declared to Stefan that he would willingly sacrifice Bonnie and anyone else who comes in the way of protecting only Elena. In the episode Klaus, both Stefan and Damon fight over how to protect and that fact Damon doesn't like that Stefan is going with Elena plan.
In the season finale, Damon was bitten by Tyler Lockwood and tried to kill himself by getting his ring off and burning in the sun but Stefan burst out of nowhere and slammed him back in the shadows. He then locked Damon in the cellar so he couldn't kill himself and promised he would find a cure, which means that Stefan cared for his big brother and wouldn't let him die.
Upon learning that Stefan and Elena are destined to fall in love because of the fact they are doppelgängers of Silas and Amara respectively, like so many doppelgängers of them have fallen in love through the centuries, Qetsiyah offer Damon a choice to watch history repeat itself or leave Stefan with her. Damon chose to kill Qetsiyah instead, revealing that no matter what, he will always love Stefan and will do anything to protect him, even if it means losing the woman he loves to him.
In No Exit, Stefan and Katherine in Elena's body, head out to find Damon. When they reach Damon who is traumatized after feeding on Enzo and then forcing Enzo to leave him so Damon doesn't kill him. Damon warns Elena not to enter and then when Stefan appears, Damon shouts at Stefan I said, DON'T, because of the fear that he will kill them both if they try to help him. As they then discuss what happened and how they're here to help Damon after Stefan refuses to leave Damon, he then runs at Stefan shouting at him STAY BACK and showing his Augustine Vampire appearance to try and scare them both away to which Stefan responds I'm not scared of you Damon. Damon then looks shocked to see Stefan care so much about him after everything he's done, even though Elena looks terrified of Damon. This shows how much Stefan cares about Damon and how much he wants to help him, also how Damon doesn't want to hurt Stefan in his Augustine Vampire state. This shows that they care about each other.
In What Lies Beneath, Stefan continues to hide about Enzo's death. Damon senses that something's wrong and thus, he along with Caroline, decide to find out. Through a game, he manages to spill out the truth. He seems very pissed off when he learns about Enzo's death and even more pissed off because Stefan lied to Damon about this. When Damon asked, "When I found out Enzo was dead? Did you think I was gonna go on a rampage, slaughter a bunch of innocent people, go bowling with human heads? What'd you think I was gonna do?", then Stefan answers, "Hate me. I thought you would, uh, hate me." Later, when they're stuck in a house which is on fire, thanks to Enzo, Damon asks Stefan to leave with Luke. This shows the strong brotherly bond between two.
In Home, when he learns about Stefan's death, he's devastated. He continuously asks Bonnie for help but of no use. Later, Damon comes up with a plan and sacrifices himself for Stefan. Stefan seemed to be in shock because he lost his family.
In Yellow Ledbetter, Stefan tells Caroline he spent months trying to find Bonnie and Damon. But he gave up realizing he needed to move on and live his life.
In The World Has Turned and Left Me Here, While Stefan is at the Salvatore Crypt. Stefan starts to cry realizing Damon might never come back. He throws a bottle of bourbon. Damon appears and catches the bourbon. They hug and they are finally reunited.
In The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get, After they reunite. Damon tells Stefan him and Bonnie were stuck in a 1994 prison world and Bonnie sacrificed herself to get him back to the present time. Stefan then tells Damon that Elena asked Alaric to compel her. To make her forget her love for Damon. Damon is later captured by Tripp Cooke. Alaric and Stefan save Damon and Enzo.
In Fade Into You, Stefan, Alaric, and Damon go on a road trip to Portland, Oregon, to track down the Gemini Coven.
|This article needs your help!|
In Let Her Go,
In I Never Could Love Like That, Damon tells Lily what to say to Stefan to get his humanity back.
In I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime, Stefan shows Damon a version of what will happen if he becomes human with Elena by going into his mind.
|This article needs your help!|
In Never Let Me Go,
In Age of Innocence,
In Best Served Cold,
In Mommie Dearest,
In Cold as Ice,
In I Would for You,
In Kill 'Em All,
In Hello, Brother, the season opens up with revealing that it has been several months since Stefan has last seen Damon. Stefan and Bonnie have been searching for Damon and Enzo for months and they know that the Armory's monster is mentally controlling the two. When Stefan and Bonnie finally get another lead on them, Bonnie refuses to have hope in finding the both of them, but Stefan convinces her to come along for searching their supposed location anyway in hopes that Stefan may find his brother.
When Stefan and Bonnie unexpectedly run into Damon after not seeing him for nearly three to four months, he tells them to leave before he attacks them. When Bonnie refuses to leave because of wanting to find Enzo, this puts Stefan and Bonnie in more danger. When Enzo finally appears, Damon puts Bonnie in a chokehold, which she cannot defend herself against being she has no more access to her magic. Stefan finally convinces Damon to stop hurting Bonnie. Eventually, Stefan and Bonnie decide to leave them behind when all seems hopeless. After leaving them, Bonnie explains to Stefan that Enzo was trying to help them with information about the monster from the Armory's vault. Stefan now has hope to find and bring back Damon again.
In Today Will Be Different, Damon and Stefan reunite once again and this time, it was abruptly. Stefan attempts to save Sarah Nelson, their relative, from Damon trying to kill her. However, Damon puts her in a chokehold and Stefan begs Damon not to kill her. Damon seems to hesitate for a moment, but Sybil walks in and mentally messes with Damon once again, tearing away his last memories of Elena. Damon truly loses his last shred of humanity and bites hard into Sarah's neck. Sybil then gets involved and stabs Sarah and stops Stefan from saving Sarah, as she bleeds to death. After confronting Sybil and Damon, Stefan is devastated that the last Salvatore member is dead.
In You Decided That I Was Worth Saving, Damon first calls Stefan asking him to meet him at a disclosed location, alone. Obviously hesitant, Stefan decides to meet with him anyway. When they do meet, Stefan asks Damon to cut to the chase being he knows Damon has a tendency to deceive him whenever Damon needs him, especially under Sybil's mental influence. Damon however says that he needs Stefan's help. Stefan is perplexed and asks him what he could possibly need help for. Damon says that Sybil is forcing him to fight Enzo to the death at a certain time because Sybil is tired of Bonnie messing with her plans.
Later on, Stefan attempts to stop Damon from fighting Enzo. Damon accuses Stefan of not being a loyal brother when he attempts to save both Enzo and Damon. However, after Caroline shows up, Stefan is determined to save Damon over Enzo. Seeing that Stefan and Caroline are in their way, Enzo and Damon eventually reject their help, knock them out by breaking their necks and they continue to fight to the death, until Bonnie shows up with Sybil. After their confrontation is over, Stefan helps Alaric captured and later, plans to imprison Sybil in the Armory's cell. As Stefan and the others are preparing an unconscious Sybil to be brought to the Armory, Damon leaves in his car telling Stefan that Sybil, Enzo and his work isn't done yet.
In Coming Home Was a Mistake, Damon crashes Tyler's first funeral and puts Matt in a chokehold. Stefan, with the rest of his friends, begs Damon not to kill Matt as Damon force-feeds Matt with his vampire blood. Stefan tries to get through to Damon once more by saying how this wasn't him by trying to kill Matt and Stefan even mentions Elena. However, Damon doesn't listen to Stefan, but he does let Matt go alive and vampspeeds out of there. Later, Stefan meets Damon at the carnival where the rest of the carnival goers are forced to leave due to a "gas leak." Stefan attempts to put Damon down in order to try and help him, which ends up starting a brutal fight between the two brothers. However, Stefan is helped by Caroline, who knocks Damon out with a vervain tranquilizer gun.
In We Have History Together, Damon and Stefan have been on the road together for three weeks, after Stefan sold his soul to Cade and started working for him as a ripper with Damon. They are first seen together in a support group trying to find their next victim. Damon plays the part of a person with anger management issues and Stefan charismatically uses this to find their most guilty victim in the support group. It turns out that both Damon and Stefan agree that the man who ran the group was the most guilty. Damon offs the man in charge of the support group in order to feed Cade more souls for hell. However, Damon disapprovingly exclaims that Stefan shouldn't have killed the rest of the group. Stefan argues that the rest of the support group was for himself to feed on and the man Damon killed was for Cade.
Later on, Damon and Stefan are searching for their next victim, which happens to be a medical student, named Tara, who bears a striking resemblance to Elena. Stefan injects Damon with vervain to slow his heart and plays the part of a concerned bystander and friend/brother to Damon. The medical student, who looks like Elena, rushes over to Damon and the three are later seen treating Damon in a bed, at the hospital. Stefan believes that he can corrupt the young student being her past was dark, but sad being her parents died in a car crash thanks to a drunk driver. Damon tries to convince Stefan otherwise, but Stefan doesn't do this for obvious reasons. After pushing Tara past her breaking point by telling her that Damon was the one responsible for her parents' deaths and car crash. The medical student believes Stefan; Tara is heartbroken obviously being she missed her parents, who were innocent people and still died from an alcoholic drunk driver. Tara finally gives in and decides to inject Damon with a serum to stop his heart and killed him, as revenge for killing her parents. After the student records Damon's "time of death," she leaves after her shift is over at the hospital and Stefan was waiting for her in the parking lot of the hospital. Tara is shocked to see Damon alive when Stefan begins telling the student that she failed his morality test. Stefan and Damon argue about killing Tara, which leads to an argument about Damon holding onto Elena and his humanity. Stefan points this out by using Elena's old necklace as evidence of Damon's struggle. Damon denies his hesitance completely, but Stefan still doesn't buy it.
Later that night, Damon and Stefan are driving on a road still discussing Damon's hesitance to kill the Tara, due to her resemblance to Elena. Damon first attempts to deny this by throwing Elena's necklace out the car window as they're speeding down the road. Stefan then tells Damon to kill the student, which Damon finally agrees to, but clearly irritated by Stefan's constant jabs about his conscious. Damon angrily stops the car, takes the terrified medical student out of it, and feeds on her until she is dead. This reassures Stefan that Damon no longer has ties to his humanity.
However, Damon secretly comes back to the road the next day and talks with a prison inmate about second chances as he finds Elena's old necklace and picks it up, clearly still holding onto his humanity without Stefan's knowledge.
- Stefan: It's been fifteen years, Damon.
- Damon: Thank god! I couldn't take another day of the 90's. That horrible grunge look did not suit you.
- Stefan: Why are you here now?
- Damon: I could ask you the same question, but I'm pretty sure your answer could be summed up into one little word: Elena.
- Stefan: Everywhere you go people die.
- Damon: That's a given.
- Stefan: Not here. I won't allow it.
- Damon: I take that as an invitation.
- -- Pilot
- Damon: (after Stefan gets up to the roof) Not bad. Have you been eating bunnies?
- Damon: You have two choices: you can feed and make her forget, or you can let her run screaming "vampire" through the town square.
- Stefan: Ugh, that's what this is about, you want to expose me?
- Damon: (seeing that Stefan's not getting it) No! I want you to remember who you are!
- Stefan: Why?! So what, so I'll feed? So I'll kill? So I'll remember what feels like to be brothers again? You know what, let her go, let her tell everyone vampires that have returned to Mystic Falls. Let them chain me up and let them drive a stake through my heart, because at least I'll be free of you.
- Damon: How were tryouts? Did you make the team? Very Emerson, the way you reveal your soul with so many... Adjectives.
Stefan:What are you doing here?
- Damon: I've come to apologize. I've been doing some thinking, some soul searching, and... I want us to start over. We need to put the past behind us. You're my little brother, and if you want to live a normal, happy human life, then I want that for you. Maybe I can do it, too. That I can learn to be a non-living living person. Maybe there's hope for both of us.
- Stefan:: You know, it doesn't have to be this way, Damon.
- Damon: Of course it doesn't. I saw Elena today, BTW. That means "by the way." She was at cheerleading practice. She looked so perky in her little short shorts. Just... simmer down, I didn't even go near her. I've got my own cheerleader now. Ooh, that reminds me... I gotta run. I have a date. Sweaty palms. Wish me luck.
- Damon: Do you know how easy it was to get in your head just now? You really need to get some human blood, it might even the playing field.
- Damon: (pulls knife out of his chest) Alright, I deserved that.
- Damon: Believe it or not, Stefan, some girls don't need my persuasion. Some girls just can't resist my good looks, my style my charm and my unflinching ability to listen to Taylor Swift. (sticks the knife in Stefan's chest)
- Stefan: What's going on?
- Damon: (stops choking Zach) Having a family moment, Stefan. Some quality time.
- Stefan: Why are you even going?
- Damon: Well I think it's fitting, we were at the very first one, remember?
- Damon: My goodness I've driven you to drink.
- Damon: It's cool not growing old. I like being the eternal stud.
- Stefan: Yes. Being a 150 year old teenager has been the height of my happiness.
- Damon: You cracked a funny, Stefan. I should have a drink and celebrate.
- Damon: (picks up Stefan's picture of Katherine) 1864. You and Katherine were the perfect couple. It was hell watching you dance with her.
- Stefan: My happiness was short lived, as you well know.
- Damon: I remember. I left the party early, I was waiting for her. The night you dropped her off I was waiting just inside. You were such a gentleman, gave her a kiss on the cheek, when what she really wanted was... oh well. Here's to history repeating itself.
- Stefan: I knew I couldn't spike your drink. So I spiked hers.
- -- Family Ties
- Damon: It's Founder's Day. I'm here to eat cotton candy and steal your girl.
- Stefan: Because you feel something for her, because you actually care. And I'm not gonna let Katherine come in here and destroy that part of you that is finally after all of this time willing to feel something. She will try to break you. She will try to break us. And how we respond to that will define us. It's our choice.
- -- The Return
- Stefan: You’re not gonna kill her.
- Damon: Don’t give me that goody-goody crap.
- Stefan: Because I am.
- -- Masquerade
- Damon:Get off of me.
- Stefan:You're not doing this.
- Damon:I just did.You know what happened to Rose, Stefan.
- Stefan: I don't care. You're not dying today.
- Stefan: Why are you trying to save me?
- Damon: Because I have to Stefan! Because you're in this mess with Klaus, because you saved my life. Because I owe you. And I can't just leave you in a cell to rot.
- Stefan: Better be careful, brother. Your humanity is showing.
- Damon: Dear diary, a chipmunk asked me my name today. I told him it was Joe. That lie will haunt me forever.
- Stefan: What do you want?
- Damon: I was hoping we could hang. You know a little brother bonding. I know we don’t actually “hang out”. We team up, we join forces, we activate our Wonder twin powers.
- Stefan: What are you doing?
- Damon: Digging up clues. Most of the Originals are gone, but now we have a who done it in town. Do you remember when we came back for Zachariah’s funeral?
- Stefan: Vaguely. Why?
- Damon: If memory serves, he wasn’t the first founder’s council member killed that year or even that month.
- Stefan: Your point being?
- Damon: I’m trying to remember what year it was.
- Stefan: 1912.
- Damon: So much for vaguely.
- Damon: The Founder’s Council killer had nothing on you. By the decade’s end, they were calling you the Ripper of Monterrey. I let you walk away. I watched you go over the edge, I didn’t do anything to stop you.
- Stefan: You couldn’t have.
- Damon: Sure I could of. But I just didn’t want to. But I want to now. And whenever you go too far, I will be there to pull you back. Every second, every day, till you don’t need me.
- Stefan: Why?
- Damon: Cause right now, you’re all I got.
- -- 1912
- Stefan: If she kills someone, she will crumble. How much pain do you think she could take before she shuts off her humanity switch?
- Damon: It happens to the best of us at least once. We get over it, Stefan. A hundred years or so.
- -- Memorial
- Damon: That hunter jacked Tyler Lockwood of his werewolf venom last night, so basically, he's got vampire poison in a bottle. And I'm gonna find him, and I'm gonna eat him.
- Stefan: [stands up] I'll go with you.
- Damon: I don't want your help. I just want to kill this guy and get the hell out of town. Wasn't that the deal? Whoever Elena doesn't choose leaves?
- Stefan: That was before she turned.
- Damon: And I stayed to help. If I take you punching me as the first clue, I'm not wanted here anymore.
- Stefan: [sighs] Listen, you blood-shared with my girlfriend, and I punched you in the face. You deserved it. Why don't you stop being dramatic?
- Damon: No, brother, dramatic would be leaving before I kill this hunter.
- -- The Rager
- They both had sex with the same four women; Katherine Pierce, Rebekah Mikaelson, Elena Gilbert and Caroline Forbes.
- They have both been the boyfriend of Elena at some point. Stefan is Elena's ex-boyfriend and Damon was dating Elena before Kai put Elena in a sleeping coma.
- They have both been Katherine's boyfriend at some point in 1864.
- Stefan is Rebekah's ex-boyfriend; they dated in 1922 and 2011. Damon had two-nights-stand in 2010 with her.
- Damon and Caroline had a briefly compelled, sexual relationship while Stefan and Caroline slept together while their humanities were off.
- They had both been saved by Lexi Branson for getting back their humanities. Stefan in multiple times likes 1864, 1922, 1942 and 2010. Damon in 1977.
- They had both some relationship with her. Lexi was Stefan's long time best friend and Damon had a one-night-stand with her.
- In 1912, it is revealed that Damon and Stefan had a half-brother. Their father Giuseppe had gotten one of the maids pregnant and she had a son. This half brother is the ancestor to Zach Salvatore.
- Stefan became a vampire before Damon, implying that he may be stronger than him.
- Both Paul Wesley (Stefan) and Ian Somerhalder (Damon) were guest stars and recurring characters on Smallville. Paul portrayed Lucas Luthor, Lex Luthor's younger, rebellious half brother. Ian portrayed Adam Knight, a villainous, mysterious young man who displays an interest in Lana Lang.
- Paul Wesley (Stefan) and Ian Somerhalder (Damon) were guest stars on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Paul portrayed three different characters Danny Burrell, Luke Miller and Luke Breslin, in three different episodes. Ian portrayed Charlie Baker, the son of a building superintendent.
- Stefan and Damon were both shot and killed by their father.
- Damon was killed moments before Stefan.
- Both have killed the other's vampire best friend, Damon killed Lexi and Stefan killed Enzo.
- In the episode Total Eclipse of the Heart, Stefan admits that he likes the person that Damon had become when he was with Elena and now that their seperated, Stefan doesn't want to lose him.
- Stefan tells Damon in No Exit, "You're my brother, I'm not going to give up on you, not ever." Showing how much Stefan cares for Damon. Also Damon runs at Stefan and shouts at Stefan "STAY BACK" and then displays his Augustine Vampire appearance to try and scare Stefan away, so that Damon won't feed on Stefan. This episode showed how much Stefan and Damon care deeply about each other.
- The actors,Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley who play Damon and Stefan, are like-brothers in real life.
- In Home, Damon goes on a suicide mission with Elena to bring Stefan back from The Other Side, But when Damon is unable to return back to the living, Stefan is heartbroken and wrecked with grief after discovering Damon is dead and breaks into tears as Caroline comforts him.
- Stefan and Damon have both sacrificed themselves in order to save the other at one point:
- When Damon returns back from dead, the first person he was reunited with was his brother Stefan.
- Stefan restored Damon's old car as a Christmas present, something the older Salvatore deeply appreciates.
- In Live Through This, they find out that it was actually their mother's idea to to link Elena's life with Bonnie, which was executed by Kai in I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime.
- Damon and Stefan were both trapped in the Phoenix Stone.