|“||Come to me whenever you want. I won't let you lose control.||”|
— Caroline to Stefan in The Rager
The relationship between Stefan Salvatore and Caroline Forbes wasn't very strong in Season One, but in Season Two it changed due to Caroline's transformation into a vampire. He became a vampire mentor to her, teaching her how to control her emotions and thirst for blood. They remain good friends in Season Three with visible trust in each other and they become really close by Season Four. It is speculated by many fans that their friendship could become like the friendship shared between Stefan and Lexi.
The friendship and possibly romantic pairing is known as "Steroline" by the fans.
On the first day of school, Caroline expressed interest in Stefan who was the new and mysterious student. She invited him to a back to school party, and he accepted because Elena was going. At the party, Caroline tried to get his attention but he rejected her and went to spend time with Elena, offending Caroline who felt that every boy she liked would always like Elena. However, she met Damon, Stefan's brother and got over Stefan.
Stefan disapproved Damon's involvement with Caroline and how he fed on her and played with her like she was a puppet. Damon ignored him and Stefan worked with his nephew Zach Salvatore to stop Damon, spiking Caroline's drink with vervain. After Damon's disappearance, Caroline was disappointed to learn from Stefan that Damon wasn't coming back.
Damon compelled Caroline to free him from his prison and killed Zach, much to Stefan's horror. He told Damon to leave Caroline alone when she planned a party at the Mystic Grill. Later, he helped Damon to save Caroline from Logan Fell, a newly turned vampire and gave Elena a jewellery full of vervain to give to her friends, including Caroline.Caroline arranged a double date with herself and Matt, and Elena and Stefan. She didn't feel that the date was going the way she had planned. Realising this, Stefan decided to give her some time with Matt and he let the two drive his car.
Both Caroline and Elena took part in the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant with Stefan and Matt as escorts, but both guys had to be replaced. Stefan and Caroline were also on the float on Founder's Day. Tyler Lockwood, Stefan, Damon and several other vampires were affected by the device. Tyler drove off the road and Caroline was injured in the accident.
Season TwoEditIn Brave New World Damon gave Caroline some of his blood to help her heal faster, but Katherine Pierce came and killed her afterwards. Caroline was confused and frightened by what was happening to her. Damon's solution was killing her, and Stefan secretly agreed (after what happened to Vicki Donovan) but worked with Elena to protect Caroline. Caroline killed Carter and Stefan arrived just in time to pull Caroline away from Damon before he could stake her. Stefan took her away to clean her up and Caroline was horrified by what she had done and how her eyes were changing black. Stefan showed her it was natural for vampires by changing his own eyes and told her she had to fight the need to kill. After she calmed down, Stefan comforted her and Caroline used his advice later on, which stopped her from biting Matt.
In Bad Moon Rising Stefan convinced Bonnie to make a Lapis Lazuli ring for Caroline so she could adjust better to being a vampire. Stefan started teaching her how to hunt and was amused when she started to complain and rant, noting that her usual behavior had amplified. He promised her that when they were through, she could go and see Matt at Tyler's party. When they got to the party, Caroline noticed the way Stefan was starting at Mason Lockwood and told him he was too serious, amusing him again. Stefan disapproved when Caroline used her compulsion on Aimee Bradley so she would back off of Matt. Stefan later stopped Caroline when she attacked Matt and tried to get her away from a werewolf. Before it could harm her, Tyler's shout drove the wolf away.
In Katerina This relationship is nice for Stefan because Caroline reminds him of his old friend Lexi.In Daddy Issues, Caroline texts Stefan, saying that there is an emergency. When he finds her, she explains that Tyler knows about the vampires. She asks him to find Tyler and reason with him, adding that he is her friend.
Later, Stefan continues to talk to Tyler and tells him to stop being mean to Caroline. He says that there is no reason why vampires and werewolves have to hate each other. Tyler is unconvinced and, when his phone rings, jumps to answer it. Stefan steals it from him and yells that he's trying to save Tyler's life. Back at the Lockwood house, Stefan is still trying to convince Tyler to relax about the vampires when he receives a call from Caroline's phone. It's Jules, who tells Stefan that he has 20 minutes to take Tyler to her before Caroline dies.Back at the caravan, Jules tells Brady not to hurt Caroline too much because she just wants Tyler back. Stefan and Tyler appear and Stefan asks Jules to let Caroline go. He tells her that she needs to leave town, saying no-one else needs to get hurt. Jules refuses to go without Tyler and Stefan replies that he can make a decision when Caroline is free. Dr. Martin appears, and it emerges that he is casting a spell. He explains that he is upholding Elijah's promise to keep Elena's friends safe and Caroline, Stefan and Damon leave. Dr. Martin tells Tyler to pass on a message to the werewolves - that they should get out of Mystic Falls.
Stefan walks Caroline home, but she explains that she is fine and just wants a shower. He reassures her that she never has to pretend with him. Later, Stefan returns to Caroline's house with Bonnie and Elena. They explain that they are going to have a sleepover together and Caroline begins to cry.In Know Thy Enemy, Caroline calls Stefan and admits that she can't find Matt, who is freaking out because she is a vampire. Stefan advises her to find him and calm him down, compel him if necessary. At the Lockwood house, Caroline spots Elena and Stefan arrive and tells them that she hasn't found Matt yet, worrying that he will tell everybody about her. Elena promises to help out once she's picked up the check and Caroline rushes off. In The Last Dance, when Caroline and Matt were dancing, Stefan asks if he could dance with Caroline. Whilst Matt gets the drinks; Stefan tells Caroline that Klaus is here. Even though she knew Klaus was there, she didn't have anything to do with the whole plan.
In Do Not Go Gentle, Caroline encourages Elena to ask Stefan to be her date to the 1920s school dance, to which Elena reluctantly agrees. During the dance, Stefan informs Caroline that they are trapped there with a boundary spell.
In The Rager, Caroine tells Stefan how he saved her vampire life. Stefan invites Caroline to the Salvatore Boarding House and asks her if she remembers what she was like being human. Stefan says that Caroline is good at being a vampire, but Caroline says she's only good at it because of him. Caroline tells him to come to her whenever he wants and that she won't let him lose control.
In My Brother's Keeper, Stefan moves in with Caroline when Elena moves into the Boarding House. Stefan and Caroline talk about how things are with Elena and Caroline asks Stefan not to give up.
In We'll Always Have Bourbon Street, Caroline & Stefan discuss the sire bond and she is surprised that Stefan feels bad for Damon. Stefan tells her that he knows Damon loves Elena and for Damon to let her go completely is sad. Caroline hopes Damon does what needs to be done. Stefan says Damon told him he will. Caroline asks him if Damon told him anything else and Stefan asks her what she means by that. She changes the topic by asking him how he can trust Damon.
In O Come, All Ye Faithful, both Stefan and Caroline find themselves at odds with Tyler over his plans for Klaus and his hybrids. Stefan doesn't have to hear Caroline say anything about Damon and Elena because he can read it on her face.
In After School Special, they talk to eachother on the phone and are texting eachother when they plan on trying to kill Rebekah, Stefan is clearly worried about Caroline when Rebekah says she already found her. Caroline yells at Rebekah to stop when she is compelling Elena to tell the truth to Stefan about Damon. Stefan is shielding Caroline and Elena from Tyler who is transforming into a wolf.
In Bring It On, Caroline and Stefan both think that taking Elena back to school is a good idea. Stefan shows concern when Elena drops Caroline and vervains Elena, taking her back to the Salvatore Boarding house. At the house, Elena arranged a big party, and Caroline came to help Stefan deal with the situation. They watch Elena dance on a table and Caroline reminisces about having fun. She tells Stefan to find some girl to dance with. Stefan then picks up Caroline and they start dancing. Elena watches them then walks over tells them they make a good couple and that they look good together. When Elena is about to stake Caroline, Stefan pulls her back and then pushes her away and puts his hands on Caroline's shoulders in a comforting way. They shake hands and agree to not give up on Elena.
In Pictures of You, Caroline and Stefan share a dance and he asks her "How does anyone ever seem to move on?" (Talking about Elena) And she says "I don't know. I think that one day you will meet someone new and fall madly in love without even realizing it." In which they share a longing look in eachothers eyes then look down, they also seem to get closer.
In She's Come Undone, Caroline asks him if she can talk to Elena and he agrees. After Elena tries to attack Caroline she snaps her neck and then looks at Stefan and tells him to do whatever he needs to and says she'll be upstairs.
- Stefan to Caroline: I promise you I will not let anything happen to you.
- --Brave New World
- Stefan: Hey Caroline , if you're not serious about all of this, I think you should tell me.
- Caroline: No, I am. Look, I swear that I am, okay! But it's just ... I haven't been in the sun for days, and everyone's at the swimming hole having fun, and Matt is there, and he finally told me that he loved me, but I've been blowing him off. And now you want me to eat bunnies, and I'm kinda freaking out, okay? And now you're laughing at me.
- -- Bad Moon Rising
- Caroline: Why are you looking at him with your "serious vampire" look?
- Stefan: My wha- my "serious vampire" look?
- Caroline: Mhmm. I mean it's different from your "worried vampire" look, neither of which stray too far from your "Hey, it's Tuesday" look.
- Caroline: You know what, we can talk later.
- Stefan: Uh, talk about what?
- Caroline: I might've ... done something?
- Stefan: What did you do?
- Caroline: Told Tyler I'm a vampire.
- -- Katerina
- Caroline: Always lookin' out for me.
- Stefan: Yeah, well, you don't exactly make it very easy on me.
- Caroline: Then why do you do it? Why are you such a good friend to me?
- Stefan: I don't know. I guess you, uh, remind me of someone. My, uh, my best friend. Lexi.
- Caroline: You have a friend?
- Stefan: You say that with such a discouraging amount of surprise, Caroline!
- -- Katerina
- Stefan: So, is your mom home?
- Caroline: No. She's at work.
- Stefan: I can come in if you want me to.
- Caroline: I'm fine, Stefan.
- Stefan: You don't have to pretend with me. Anybody would be upset after what you went through tonight.
- Caroline: I'm okay ... I'm not girly little Caroline anymore. I can handle myself.
- Stefan: You sure can.
- -- Daddy Issues
- Caroline: Hey.
- Stefan: Hey.
- Caroline: What's going on?
- Stefan: I was a bit worried about you. After everything you went through tonight.
- Caroline: I'm fine.
- Stefan: Good, but ... just in case, I, um, brought some back-up. (Bonnie and Elena arrive behind him)
- Elena: We're gonna slumber it.
- Bonnie: We haven't done it in ages.
- Caroline: (cries) Hi…
- -- Daddy Issues
- (Caroline goes out of her house and goes to her car. She’s on the phone with Stefan)
- Caroline: I can't find him anywhere. He's not at home. He's not answering his phone.
- Stefan: How could you let him go?
- Caroline: My mom walked in. He took off. I didn't know what to do.
- Stefan: Did your mom hear anything?
- Caroline: No. She just thinks we're fighting but he knows about me, and he's freaking out about Vicki.
- Stefan: All right. Listen. You have to find him. You have to calm him down. Compel him if you have to. Is he still on the vervain?
- Caroline: I slip it into his soda when he's at work, but I didn't get to last night, so it's out of his system. He has a catering shift at the Lockwood’s' today. I'm gonna try there.
- (She hangs up)
- -- Know Thy Enemy
- Stefan: Hey, guys.
- Matt: Hey, man, what's up?
- Stefan: Hey. Do you mind if I steal your date for a moment?
- Matt: No, not all. I'll get us something to drink.
- Stefan: Thanks (Matt leaves. Stefan dances with Caroline)
- Caroline: What's wrong?
- Stefan: Klaus is here.
- Caroline: What?!
- Stefan: Yeah.
- Caroline: Where?
- Stefan: We have no idea. But keep your eye out for anything that might be weird, ok?
- -- The Last Dance
- Caroline to Stefan: You saved my vampire life, now you're saving hers. You should write a book, go on the view.
- --The Rager
- Caroline to Stefan: Come to me whenever you want. I won't let you lose control.
- -- The Rager
- Stefan: So what am I supposed to do? Grab some girl, throw her over my shoulder, take her out onto the dance floor?
- Caroline: Just take your own advice...have a little fun...because we all deserve a little fun.
- (Stefan throws Caroline over his shoulder)
- Caroline: I didn't mean me!
- -- Bring It On
- Stefan: How does anyone ever seem to move on?
- Caroline: I don't know. I think that one day you will meet someone new and fall madly in love without even realizing it.
- -- Pictures Of You
- Caroline to Stefan: Good luck. Do whatever you have to do.
- -- She's Come Undone