|This article is about Stefan Salvatore from the novels. You may be looking for Stefan Salvatore, a character from the television series.|
|“||Do you know what the name Salvatore means in Italian, Elena? It means salvation, saviour. I’m named that, and for St. Stephen, he was the first Christian martyr. And I damned my brother to hell.||”|
Stefan Salvatore was the hero, the male protagonist (opposite of Elena, the female protagonist), the deuteragonist, and a main character of The Vampire Diaries novel series. He is a 500 plus year old vampire born during the time of The Renaissance, who was one of the Salvatore brothers that fell in love with Katherine von Swartzschild during his human life (which was the time of the Italian Renaissance) and before he was transformed into a vampire. Stefan is the son of (Conti Di) Giuseppe Salvatore and his un-named mother (who died a few years after he was born), the younger brother of Damon Salvatore, the past love and object of obsession of Katherine von Swartzschild, the one true beloved, ultimate soulmate, and love interest of Elena Gilbert, close friend with Bonnie McCullough and Meredith Sulez, best friends with Matt Honeycutt, ally of Zander, former fling of Caroline Forbes, a rival of Tyler Smallwood and enemies with Misao, Shinichi, and Klaus. Katherine was Stefan's, as well as his brother Damon's creator. Katherine was the one who transformed both of the Salvatore brothers into vampires. After Katherine's "fake death", the heartbreak he endured after thinking he lost her and the continuous tumultuous relationship in which he had shared with his elder brother, Damon, Stefan makes an attempt to run far away and start a new life somewhere else, away from his dark and haunting past. Stefan runs away and attempts to start a new life on his own in a town called Fells Church, a town located in the American state of Virginia (it is later said that a powerful force of some sorts drew Stefan to Fells Church, although he couldn't understand why he was drawn to the town in the first place).
Stefan arrives in Fells Church and enrolls as a high school student at Robert E. Lee High School in order to blend in like a regular 17-year-old human teenager (even though Stefan is really 500+ years old). It is there, where Stefan fatefully and inevitably meets Elena Gilbert. He is intensely, immediately and indescribably drawn to her. Stefan is immediately able to "sense" Elena's mind and presence out of everyone else's minds within the entire school and he notices that her mind is significantly different then everyone else's, although, Stefan cannot understand why is able to feel this way towards Elena, who happens to be a complete and total stranger to him. Stefan was able to sense Elenas mind long before he met her in person and he sensed her presence immediately after arriving in Fells Church. He easily recognized it once he came to school that it was the presence of Elena. Elena bears a strong resemblance to his old and first love, Katherine, and because of this, he repeatedly tries to avoid her at all costs during the beginning of the series, feeling that her uncanny resemblance to Katherine brings up painful, sorrowful memories of his dark, mysterious past. Stefan fell deeply and strongly in love with Elena at first sight but later on, Stefan eventually lets his walls crumble even more and falls in even deeper and passionate love with Elena. However, despite the fact that Stefan falls for Elena and Elena reciprocates his love, his elder and malevolent brother Damon follows him to Fells Church in order to make his life chaos and repeatedly makes attempts to try to steal Elena away from him out of revenge against him. Throughout the course of the series, Stefan has been strewn out of Fells Church, mostly out of his control, causing him and Elena to repeatedly become separated from each other. Because of this, it has caused Stefan to leave Elena's well-being and life in the hands of his impulsive, amoral and dangerous older brother, Damon Salvatore.
Stefan is described to be the ultimate looker. He is said to be very gorgeous, 'inhumanely' beautiful with God-like facial features. All of the girls at Robert E. Lee High want to capture his attention. Because Stefan possesses the gift of immortality due to being a vampire, Stefan has a very youthful appearance which is rather boyish, pure, innocent and charming. This is because even though Stefan's real age is over 500 years old, he has the physical appearance of a seventeen year old teenager. Because of his vampirism, Stefan will eternally look seventeen (only in physical appearance) for the rest of his immortal life and therefore, will never age or grow old like a regular human. Stefan has the classic romance novel look; dreamy and mystical in appearance and he has a strong, compelling aura. He is described as being very classically handsome with very fine facial features and bone structure (including his high cheekbones and square, masculine jaw line), and he has been described as hauntingly or disturbingly beautiful by Elena, Katherine, Bonnie, Meredith and Caroline. However, when Elena describes him as hauntingly beautiful, she is often referring to Stefan as a whole, including his personality. A quote from The Awakening displays Elena's description of Stefan's appearance: "Even through numbness, Elena felt a quick thrill of fear. She looked at him, a strangely elegant figure, among the tombstones, his face pale in the moonlight. He had never looked so....beautiful to her before, but that beauty was almost alien. Not just foreign, but inhuman, because no human could project that aura of power, or of distance." (pg. 112, The Awakening). Stefan is not extremely tall, like Tyler Smallwood or even Matt Honeycutt, but he is not, by any means, considered to be short either (Elena has described his stature as perfect). Stefan is described to be of average height to medium tall (about 5-foot-10-inches). He is taller than his elder brother Damon and he has a height advantage over him. Stefan is said to strongly resemble Damon and the family resemblance between the Salvatore brothers is strongly noticed by both Elena and Bonnie. Although, there are quite a few slight physical differences between the two Salvatore brothers. Aside from Stefan being taller than Damon, Stefan has green eyes, which are similar to that of green oak leaves, and he has dark wavy hair, while Damon has pitch black eyes and dark straight hair. Coloring wise, Stefan is described to be the complete and total opposite of Elena (who has ultra pale golden hair and deep blue eyes with extremely fair, white skin which is paler than Stefan's complexion). Stefan has a very pale complexion (his complexion became significantly paler after his transformation into a vampire). He has very dark, wavy (sometimes described as curly) jet black hair which has been described as luxurious, soft and thick. Elena has described Stefans hair as a "dark sea of tumbled waves" or "rumpled dark hair". Elena has described Stefans hair as fine textured and soft but at the same time, thick and luxurious. Stefan has piercing, forest green eyes which are perfectly set; the coloring of them is often said to be comparable to that of oak tree leaves on a summer day, holly green leaves, malachite and emeralds. Stefan has a slim, lean, lithe and flat muscled physique with ideally broad shoulders and long legs. He has a classical straight nose, high cheekbones and perfect, beautifully shaped lips and mouth, which Elena often describes as being a "sculptor's dream". Elena describes Stefan's physical appearance in The Awakening: "From where she stood, Elena could see he had a lean, flat muscled body. Faded jeans he probably had to peel off at night, tight T-shirt, a leather jacket of unusual cut. His hair was wavy―and dark..." (pg. 16, The Awakening). Elena describes Stefan's physical appearance in another quote in The Awakening: "The dark, curly hair framed features so fine that they might have been taken from an old Roman coin or medallion. High cheekbones, classical straight nose...and a mouth to keep you awake at night, Elena thought. The upper lip was beautifully sculpted, a little sensitive, a whole lot sensual" (pg. 19, The Awakening). A quote in Dark Reunion describes Stefan’s physical appearance: “Her (Bonnie) gaze jerked up, off her own feet, to take in fashionably ratty deck shoes, some foreign kind. Above that were jeans, body hugging, old enough to look soft over hard muscles. Narrow hips. Nice chest. Face to drive a sculptor crazy: sensuous mouth, high cheekbones. Dark sunglasses. Slightly tousled black hair...” A quote from Elena's thoughts on Stefan's appearance in "The Awakening": "But there was that mouth. That sculpted mouth that made her weak with something entirely different than nervousness. And that night dark hair—her fingers itched to weave themselves into its softness. That lithe, flat-muscled body, those long legs...and that voice" (pg. 48, The Awakening). Stefan tends to wear expensive clothing, usually dark or black in color. Part of this is because he was once a member of the Italian nobility and his tutor had taught him to dress as befitted as his position. However, most of the time, he's been spotted on several occasions wearing T-shirts (mostly form-fitting or of a snug fit) and jeans (most of the time, faded), and he shows an odd penchant for wearing sweaters. Stefan's trademark is wearing black leather jackets of unusual cuts. Stefan wears a large, silver ring with a small, round lapis lazuli stone on the index finger of his right hand as a talisman to protect himself against the sunlight. Stefan also wore a chain (a silver chain) around his neck, which bared Katherine's gold lapis lazuli ring, which he had obtained after Katherine's "suicide". Stefan gave the same ring to Elena later on, as an engagement ring when he proposed to her. Elena also used this exact same ring as a talisman to protect herself from the sunlight when she was transformed into a vampire. Elena frequently makes remarks about Stefan's voice and how it sounded like a familiar musical chord for her. She has described his voice as strangely compelling, magnetic and chilling.
PersonalityEditStefan is the moral, good vampire brother (the opposition to his elder brother Damon, who is immoral and malevolent) who is kind, compassionate, kind hearted and caring. He is the complete and total opposite of his amoral, malevolent elder brother, Damon. Stefan is described as being mysterious and intense but also to be rather sensitive at the same time. Stefan is represented throughout the series to be a tragic, romantic hero. He is a deep, intense romantic at heart, especially where Katherine (and later, Elena) are concerned. All of Elena's friends (including Bonnie McCullough, Meredith Sulez and Caroline Forbes) and all of the girls at Robert E. Lee High School have described Stefan as a gentleman and a classic romantic. At first meeting, Elena is immediately, intensely and passionately drawn to Stefan, because she finds him deeply interesting, exotic, mysterious, deep and immensely challenging. Personality traits wise, Stefan is the complete opposite of Elena in many ways. Elena is outgoing, Stefan is shy. Elena is popular, Stefan is a loner. Elena is more headstrong and aggressive, Stefan is more laid back and passive. Elena is more selfish, Stefan is more humble and selfless. Elena is more cheerful, Stefan is more brooding. Stefan is described as mysterious, inscrutable, elusive, reclusive, brooding, angsty, and sometimes said to be cynical and quite stubborn (like Elena). He is deeply tortured by his vampiric nature (his vampirism) and the circumstances surrounding his mysterious and dark past. Although Stefan is the good Salvatore brother, who has morals and values and always tries to do the right thing, he does have a dark side; a darkness within him that comes along with his vampiric nature and it frequently comes out from time to time. Although for the majority of the time, Stefan tries to temper this darkness because he strongly believes in doing the right thing. Stefan has a strong belief in justice. He has a deep and moral conscience and believes in respecting humanity. Because of this, Stefan is frequently seen throughout the course of the series to be very compassionate and helpful towards mankind, and he is a true humanitarian at heart and by nature. This was evident during his human life as well. During the flashbacks of Stefan's human life, it appears that Stefan was a relatively happy, content and successful individual who had many ambitions, responsibilities and he was also deeply connected to and attached to his family, his friends, his studies, and to the city of Florence. During Stefan's human life, he displayed the traits of kindness, gentleness, empathy, compassion, responsibility, intelligence and nobleness. These traits in which he possessed as a human, were transcended into his personality even as an immortal. Despite Stefan's tendency to blame himself for things and him being guilt ridden from memories of his dark past, Stefan possesses a lot of good, honorable traits and qualities that display his humanity and his concern for other people, despite him being a vampire. Stefan tends to be guilt ridden from time to time and tends to blame himself for things, which can lead to long periods of depression. However, Stefan is described as very good hearted, very kind, caring, understanding, empathetic, romantic, gallant, noble, heroic, brave and shows intense compassion for other people and mankind. He deeply cares about and shows concern for the people who are most important to him. Stefan is a humanitarian by nature and frequently shows compassion towards human beings and cares about their well-being and their safety, which is the complete and total opposite of Damon, who normally only looks out for himself (although later on, Damon does learn a thing or two). However, despite all of Stefan's good qualities, he often has a hard time making friends easily, partially due to his reclusive, mysterious and reserved nature.
When Stefan arrives in Fells Church, Stefan meets Matt Honeycutt and the two develop a close friendship overtime. Matt is Stefan's first human friend in Fells Church. Although Stefan has a tendency to be prone to melancholy and depression, Stefan is quite pleasant and charming and he also displays a wicked sense of humor from time to time. He is also very relaxed and down to earth whenever he is around his friends. He also smiles from time to time, especially when he is around Elena. Stefan has a quick and sharp mind; he is well spoken and highly intelligent. According to Damon, the things that were most important to Stefan during his human life were his responsibility and duty to Florence, his family, his friends and his studies and ambitions. Damon has said that his brother has "lived among books and paintings" and therefore, lives a particularly shadowed life in terms of darkness within the world. Stefan is stoically loyal and fiercely protective, especially of those he deeply and strongly cares about. Stefan is highly protective of Elena. He will do anything and everything he can in order to protect her and keep her safe from harm, even from the likes of his dangerous brother, Damon. He has a strong sense of duty and responsibility and is highly dependable and trustworthy. Stefan is also very trusting of people; this makes him a somewhat naive individual. He especially shows a lot of trust in Elena and believes that she will do the right thing when it comes to their relationship, her life, and the well being of her loved ones. However, Stefan does have a tendency to be especially naive when it comes to trusting or believing in his brother, Damon. Stefan has a strong sense of heroism and bravery and he always feels the constant need to save people, to look out for mankind and humanity. Stefan is also very highly accepting of people, takes people for who they are, is accepting of his own flaws and everyone else's flaws, and frequently tries to see the best in everyone, including his brother, who frequently engages in immoral acts. Although it is very obvious that Stefan has had a longtime strained relationship with his older brother Damon, Stefan still loves and cares about him and he always tries to believe in him as much as possible. Unfortunately, Stefan always ends up disappointed due to his naivety when it comes to his elder brother. There have been many hints throughout the course of the series that suggest that Stefan is part of the key to bringing out Damon's inner humanity, although Damon frequently tries to hide the strong impact or influence that his younger brother has on him. Stefan usually has a very kind, gentle, calm and serene nature, although he is prone to anger, aggressive and violent tendencies, and a significantly darker side of him can surface when he is strongly provoked, letting out his "inner beast". This has been seen throughout the series when he has fought with his brother Damon, Tyler Smallwood and Klaus. When it comes to love, romance and relationships, Stefan is classic, traditional and slightly old fashioned in his approach. Stefan is a fiery romantic at heart and a very giving, selfless lover—protective, affectionate, tender, loving, giving, generous, noble, respectful, gracious, very chivalrous and courteous. These traits were/are noted by both Katherine von Swartzschild and Elena Gilbert. Stefan is deeply, strongly and unconditionally in love with Elena Gilbert and he shares a deep, intense, unbreakable bond with her that can never be broken. Stefan will do absolutely anything and everything to protect Elena and keep her safe from harm, even if he has to kill those who pose a threat to Elena's safety. Stefan has always hated himself and was deeply tortured by his vampirism but the unconditional love that Stefan and Elena share mutually has impacted Stefan profoundly and he has learned to accept what he is through Elena's strong, unconditional love. Stefan is very polite, well mannered and often acts like a gentleman. Stefan was his father's (Giuseppe Salvatore) favorite son and shared a close relationship with him, the complete opposite of his older brother, Damon. Stefan displays a strong sense of aristocracy and nobility. He has strong values and has a deep conscience. He has a strict code of morals and ethics (influenced by his noble upbringing in Italy, and also his Catholicism) and strongly refuses to kill innocent human life in order to drink human blood, though Stefan frequently shares blood with Elena (although both Stefan and Elena see this as an act of love and generosity). Instead, Stefan lives on an animal blood diet (he hunts for various different forest animals such as deer, rabbit, doves, birds etc.), and because of this, Stefan is the weaker vampire brother in terms of Power, compared to Damon, who kills innocent human life without any remorse or regrets, and feeds on their blood. Stefan is weaker then Damon because he doesn't feed off of the blood of humans and human blood is what is essential in giving vampires the greater Power. The more humans a vampire kills and the more human blood they consume over a period of time, the more powerful their Power is. Despite the fact that Stefan doesn't live off of a diet of human blood, he still possesses the basic, standard vampire powers and abilities. Some of Stefan's abilities include superhuman senses (super-hearing, super-sight, super-smell), super agility, superhuman or enhanced strength, telepathy, mental quickness (Stefan has a very quick mind and can sense other people's minds and their thinking), and mind compulsion/influence (the ability to influence or manipulate people's minds and thoughts).
Stefan's nicknames include the following:
- 'Masked Man' (used and coined by Meredith Sulez)
- 'Masked Stranger'
- "Darling" (a term of endearment that only Elena Gilbert uses for Stefan)
- "Gentle Stefan" (used by Elena)
- "Darling Stefan" (used by Elena)
- "Stefan Darling" (used by Elena only)
- Her Stefan (referenced by Elena)
- St. Stefan
- Sweet Stefan (used by Katherine von Swartzschild)
- Precious Stefan (used by Katherine)
- Little Brother (used by Damon Salvatore only)
- Stefan is a masculine first name of Greek origin 'Στεφανος (Stephanos) meaning "crown", "garland", or invested with a "crown of martyrdom". In turn, Stephen or Stefan comes from the Greek word "στέφανος", meaning "wreath", "crown", "honor", "reward", literally "that which surrounds or encompasses". Saint Stephen was a deacon who was stoned to death, as told in Acts in the New Testament, and he is regarded as the first Christian martyr. Due to him, the name became highly common in the Christian world. It was popularized in England by the Normans. Stefan is also variation of Stephen, which means "victorious".
- In Middle English, the name Stephen or Stephan was pronounced as a bi-syllabic word — Step-hen , Stef-han or Step-han — much like a Scandinavian surname. The name Steven is a variation of Stefan. The name has many variants, which include Stephan, Stephen, Stevan, Stefan and Stevon. Steve is the common short form, while various diminutives such as Stevie and Ste are also used. Many family names or surnames are derived from the name Stephen: the most common are Stephens/Stevens and Stephenson/Stevenson (others include Stephen, Stephan, Staphan, Stefan, Stevin and Stever). The name Stefan is more common in the Nordic and Slavic countries, but it's not too far off the Italian variation, Stefano. In Romania, Stefan, with almost same form, is a very popular name for boys. It is a fitting name for our hero (Stefan), who has been called a martyr more than once, but it's also an anachronistic name. The name was never popular as an English name until recent years, nor in Italy in this form.
- His last name, Salvatore, means "Saviour" in Italian. His last name suits and fits Stefan's role in the series, considering that Stefan is the hero and the one who is always the savior making sacrifices, especially for those he loves.
- Recorded as Salvadore, Salvadori, Salvati, Salvatori, Salvatore (Italian), Salvador (Spanish, Portugese and Catalan), this an early medieval surname of great popularity. It means literally 'saviour save you' and was used in honor of the Christ. The origination is from the Latin word "salvius", which seems to have been in some way used in the Iberian Peninsula, before it became fashionable in Rome, Italy.
- Name analysis describes those with the name Salvatore to, from an early age, desire a high standard of living and prestige. The person finds it easy to converse with others however, the "desire to possess and direct those closest to you could result in shattered ideals and losses in the affections". Salvatores can also have uncontrolled outbursts of temper could cause problems in close personal relationships but are intrigued by challenges and have an impulsive nature.
During his human life, Stefan was a practicing Roman Catholic. Catholicism is a broad term for the body of the Catholic Church, its theologies and doctrines, its liturgical, ethical, spiritual, and behavioral characteristics, as well as a religious people as a whole. For many the term usually refers to Christians and churches, western and eastern, in full communion with the Holy See, known alternatively as the Catholic Church or as the Roman Catholic Church. However, many others use the term to refer to other churches with historical continuity from the first millennium.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Each vampire is 'gifted' with certain powers, such as strength, the ability to read minds, sensing emotions, influencing 'weaker' minds all of which Damon, Stefan, Katherine and Klaus demonstrate throughout the books. These Powers increase with age and drinking human blood. This explains why other vampires, such as Damon are stronger than Stefan, who refuses to drink human blood under any circumstances and instead, lives on a strict animal blood diet, which weakens Stefan's powers. Stefan possesses the standard powers and abilities of a vampire, although they are often strengthened with the help of human blood. Because Stefan lives on animal blood, Stefan's Power's are therefore, much weaker. Stefan possesses the following vampire abilities:
- Immortality: Stefan has been alive since the Italian Renaissance Period during the 15th Century. Because he is a vampire, Although he is over 500 years old in vampire years, Stefan remains eternally 17 years old in human years and therefore, will remain youthful forever, will never grow old and can never die.
- Vampire Physiology: Stefan's vampire physiology includes having and displaying the standard vampire abilities such as enhanced senses, speed, agility and strength. Because Stefan is a vampire, his muscular physique is much more defined and his muscle mass is greatly enhanced. He has also developed significantly sharper teeth as well as fangs, which enable him to feed and bite his prey with quickness and easiness. His complexion becomes significantly whiter and paler and his skin becomes significantly cooler then that of a human. Stefan is immortal and cannot grow old or cannot die; he is immune to human illnesses, viruses and is not affected by poisons or toxins. Although Stefan is technically immortal or "undead", Stefan's hair, fingernails and toenails can still grow. This was proven when Katherine returned in The Fury and it showed that her hair had grown significantly long over the years since Stefan last saw her. Also, in The Return: Shadow Souls, while Stefan was in prison, it showed that Stefan's hair had grown longer. Although vampires like Stefan are passionate, they are impotent and unable to have sex.
- Super Speed & Agility: Stefan can move very fast, as he jumped off the boarding house roof to catch Elena when she fell, after she found out that Stefan was a vampire.
- Enhanced Strength: Stefan's muscular strength is enhanced greatly and therefore, he is strong enough to break things easily without trying hard. He can break a piece of wood or furniture as if it is nothing.
- Superhuman Senses: Stefan can hear, smell, and see clearer and better that the average human. He can also 'sense' the presence of other minds around him. For example, on his first day at Robert E. Lee High School, Stefan was able to sense Elena's mind and he knew that there was something "unusual" and distinct about her because of his ability to sense her mind.
- Telepathy: Stefan can often hear Damon talking to him telepathically, and can communicate to Elena in the same way since she returned from the afterlife. Stefan and Elena often communicate telepathically on many occasions throughout the course of the series.
- Healing Factor: If he is deeply cut or wounded, Stefan can focus his powers and abilities to accelerate the healing of any wound. Here is an example of this power in the novel series: "Stefan's head wound is already healing after a very short amount of time, likely less than thirty minutes." - The Fury, P.165 (double volume print).
- Mental, Mind Or Thought Manipulation/Persuasion/Compulsion: The power to influence those with weaker minds is another power that all vampires have to varying degrees depending on the extent of their 'power'. For this reason, Stefan believed that Damon could be behind the attacks on citizens of Fell's Church and himself. However, unlike Stefan, Damon's power is not just to influence, he can feel where a person is, how they are feeling and also put them to sleep. An example of this is in VD4 when Stefan wanted to go talk to Vicki Bennett but needed to get around her parents. Stefan can persuade or influence others to do what he wants using the Power of his mind. Normally, Stefan will stare into the eyes of a normal human and he is able to influence them to do whatever he wants using both his mind and his words (assuming that the human victim doesn't have vervain on them). He has done this to the school secretary (Mrs. Clarke), the principal and his history teacher, Mr. Tanner. Here are some examples of this from the novel series: Stefan says he's been sensing fear and hostility all day, a sign that vampires - even when Powers are weak and they're drained - can sense emotions (P.325, The Struggle). Stefan hasn't been drinking human blood, but animal blood provides him with enough Power to cloud Rachael's mind (P.305, Dark Reunion). This power of manipulation extends further than the ability to 'knock-out' a person. Vampires in The Vampire Diaries can manipulate those with 'weaker' minds - both humans, other vampires and animals. Katherine controlled the town animals into attacking the citizens, but also led both Damon and Stefan to Fell's Church so she could seek her revenge.The threat of manipulation can be overcome with Vervain a herb that for many centuries was believed to help prevent the threat of evil. In The Vampire Diaries, the plant is given by Stefan to Elena and her friends with the intent to help prevent Damon from influencing them. Stefan believed at the time that Damon could be the evil power that was attacking towns-folk.
- Dream Manipulation/Control/Influence: If Stefan consumes a certain amount of human blood, then Stefan could possibly have the ability to influence, control or manipulate the dreams of a human (assuming they are not protected by the herb, vervain). Although in the novels, Stefan has never done this because he does not live on human blood.
- Weather Manipulation & Control: Like all vampires including Damon and Katherine, if Stefan consumes a certain amount of human blood (which is essential for vampires to have a stronger 'Power'), Stefan possibly has the ability or the capacity to control the weather conditions. Stefan could control fog, storms, including snow storms, rain storms etc., although Stefan has never displayed this ability in the novels due to the fact that he doesn't not consume human blood on a daily basis and has a weaker Power because he lives on an animal blood diet.Throughout the series it is implied that vampires, depending on their power, can alter the weather. Humans remark at the strange weather for the time of the year, and Stefan confirms that Damon could be behind this. An example of this power could be when Damon appears as the crow outside Elena's house the sky is overcast. But the most obvious display is when the company goes to Vicki's house in Dark Reunion.
- Shape Shifting: Like Damon, when Stefan is very strong and has taken in a certain amount of human blood consumption, Stefan has the ability to transform himself into any animal. In the novels, Stefan has transformed into a falcon and a hawk.
- Invulnerability: Vampires are immune to all regular human illnesses and toxins. Weapons such as knives, scissors, and even guns cannot kill a vampire. If they are shot or stabbed, their wounds will heal almost instantly.
- Animals To Call: The ability to transform into an animal is an important part of the story, and is the most obvious power of all of the vampires in The Vampire Diaries. We learn the average number of animals a vampire can 'call' or transform into is two. Stefan can call one animal, the Falcon, although this is rare due to the amount of Power it requires. Katherine can transform into the cat, tiger and owl. Damon himself can call two animals, the wolf and the crow. He uses these animals as a means of travel and a weapon.
LESS COMMON ATTRIBUTESEdit
Mythical Ways of Becoming A VampireEdit
ACTIONS IN LIFE LEADING TO VAMPIRIC TRANSFORMATIONEdit
DEATH OR AFTER-DEATH CURSESEdit
Becoming A VampireEdit
A human needs to drink the blood of a vampire in order for the change into a vampire to begin. It seems a small amount of blood is safe enough to drink without triggering the change, but great care needs to be taken when exchanging vampire blood even as a little too much can be enough to change a person, as in Elena's case. Stefan notes that morning after Katherine blood exchanges with him, his bite wounds are healing faster, and with the new hotel next night other changes were beginning to take place. Improved vision, hearing and strength start coming in within twenty four hours of blood exchange, as well as the hunger or thirst for blood. Forty eight hours after the blood exchanging, Stefan is desperate for blood. His veins felt as if they were "dry and cracked," and he recognizes that he will not be able to resist not taking blood for much longer. This is all before the change has completed while he is still technically human and in transition. It is suggested by Stefan unless death occurs, the vampire blood will work itself eventually out of the human's system, allowing them to return to normal. "If he (Damon) had not died then, with Katherine's blood so strong in his veins, he would have had a chance. In time, the blood would have grown weaker, and then passed away. He would have become a normal human again. By killing him then, I condemned him to live in the night. I took away his only chance of salvation." How Stefan is so sure of this is never explained, and given his lack of contact with other vampires and even humans, one wonders how he even discovered this information. HOWEVER, there may be evidence to suggest that dying may not be a necessary step. There is no mention of Katherine dying to complete the change, and she herself states that she and Klaus waited for the dawn together after she'd drunk his blood. The next morning, she was miraculously cured of her illness because she was a vampire. While her death may have occurred later on and simply may not have been mentioned, it could be argued that after such a miraculous recovery, her physicians would be wanting to keep a very close eye on her. While Gudren is a formidable lady to confront, it is unlikely she'd have the power to keep Katherine's physicians away from her to prevent them from noticing she was dead at any point. Assuming that death is a necessary step in the transformation, the length of time the person seems to remain dead seems to vary. Elena returned to consciousness only a few hours after her death from drowning at Drowning Creek, while Stefan and Damon were in a death-like state for at least a few days. This may have something to do with the level of trauma a person sustains. Elena drowned, so there was very little damage to be healed, while Stefan and Damon were stabbed through the heart. Those wounds probably took longer to heal, causing them to stay dead long enough for their funeral to take place.
Katherine says she can get by on a dove at night. Evidence in The Awakening suggests that a rabbit a day is not enough for Stefan, or even several birds. Is this implying that the older a vampire gets, the more blood they need? Or is the implication that Stefan needs more as he's simply used to it? If this is the case, why would he be drinking more than he knows he needs? Is this because he's been using Powers and needs more blood? Human blood is the strongest and gives more power, though animal blood is probably enough to give Stefan his limited powers. P.108 - Stefan notes that if the need to feed gets out of control, it can cause strange things to happen. P.230 Stefan: "Humans have the strongest life essence, and their blood gives power. And when they're killed, somehow the life essence they give is strongest of all. It's as if in those last moments of terror and struggle of the soul is the most vibrant." The effects of drinking blood kick in immediately. The Struggle, P.306. Following Stefan's time in the well, he's near death with no detectable life signs. After drinking Elena's blood, Stefan regains color to his skin and a flush to his cheeks. He's also pulled back from the brink enough that he is able to laugh. P.307 His heartbeat has gone from being normal to being undetectable when Mary checks it, though a little slow, even for an athlete. This is probably due to vampires having slow heart rates, but also perhaps partly due to him not being at full health yet. Description of the hunger for blood, P.328, The Struggle. "The dry ache, the burning, was spreading along his upper jaw, whispering through his veins and capillaries."
P.212 Stefan notes vampires can eat and drink human food, they just do not need it. P.329 "(Stefan) himself could chew and swallow ordinary food if he had to, though it did him no good, and he had long since lost any taste for it." Likely eating is a practice that vampires have to keep up with in order to enjoy food. Damon did not seem to have any problems with it.
Stefans Animal Power (Shapeshifting)Edit
A vampire has the power to transform into animals, and Stefan's animals are the hawk, the eagle and the falcon. If Stefan consumes a large or reasonable amount of human blood, Stefan has the ability to shape shift into any animal he wants. In the series, Stefan has shape shifted into three animals, a hawk, an eagle, and a falcon, coincidentally all birds.
Limitations and ThreatsEdit
The most powerful limitation to a vampire is that of sunlight or intense heat. This is a well-accepted limitation of all vampires. However LJ Smith added her own mix on sunlight by giving her vampires a way of living in light - she introduced the idea of a talisman to allow vampires to be in sunlight without being harmed. The use of lapis lazuli allowed Katherine, Stefan, Elena and Damon this luxury. Even with the talisman sunlight still weakens The Vampire Diaries vampires, which is why Katherine and Damon influence the weather in order to prevent their powers from being diminished. Another limitation is running water, another common myth which states that evil cannot cross. During VD3 Katherine explains that to allow her to move around she used the tunnels so she went under running water rather than across it. Despite Elena and Stefan doubting Damon throughout the series, Damon could drive over the river with the rest of the group meaning that either he was not as powerful or evil as Katherine for running water to be one of his limitations. It is assumed that staking the vampire through the heart is a way of killing The Vampire Diaries vampires. By this, it means that LJS has ignored some of the more usual limitations on vampires (see below). But when Stefan is captured by the fathers of Fell's Church they attempt to stake him, however this is not elaborated on whether this is an effective means of killing a vampire. One of the most common woods used for stakes (particularly in Europe) was Ash. Ash was favored by vampire hunters in Northern Europe, particularly in Russia and the Baltic. According to the Roman writer Piny the Elder, all things evil feared ashwood. This wood is what Stefan and Damon used against Klaus during VD4 although it was not as effective. The name of the wood is derived from the Norse asha which is apparently what the tree of life, Yggdrasil was made from. Vampires must be invited into a dwelling - which is defined as any place a human would sleep or eat (so it can be a caravan or houseboat). Most myths explain that vampires are prevented from entering a place where humans 'live', since they are not considered 'human'. This was an interesting point to remember, since Damon was never invited into Vicki's house, which prevented him from offering any help to Vicki Bennett against Klaus.
Stefan has the following weaknesses as a vampire and all of these weaknesses affect all vampires like Stefan:
- Invitations: The Struggle, P.344. (Elena) said, "Do you think someone invited him in?" "Obviously, since he was in." "Then it's true about--people like you. You have to be invited in. But Damon got into the gym without an invitation." "That's because the gym isn't a dwelling place for the living. That's the one criterion. It doesn't matter if it's a house or a tent or an apartment above a store. If living humans eat and sleep there, we need to be invited inside."It doesn't have to be a verbal invitation, so long as the intent is there. Elena nodded to Stefan when he first drove her home, and that was enough. The human doesn't have to actually live there to invite a vampire in. (The Awakening & The Struggle) P.176. Elena inadvertently invites Damon into Bonnie's house. P.310. Stefan: "And make sure no one invites a stranger into your house... Make sure of it." P.330. Random students are inviting other people into the Ramsey house where Alaric is staying. P.335. Damon has managed to easily get himself invited in to Alaric's place. P.424. Damon manages to get himself invited into Elena's house by Robert, who technically lives in Herron. P.435. There seems to be a physical barrier made of thin air at a threshold that prevents vampires getting past it. (The Fury & Dark Reunion) P.173. Elena experiences an invisible barrier that feels like a soft wall of thickened air blocking her way.
- Running Water: The Awakening, P.61. The force in the graveyard is unable to follow the girls once they've crossed the bridge over Drowning Creek.The Struggle, P.345. Stefan: "Running water can be a barrier in itself. For some of us, it's almost impossible to cross." The Fury, P.227. Katherine gets around this limitation by creating a tunnel under Drowning Creek in order to get around.
- Sunlight: Vampires can go out in sunlight if they wear Lapis Lazuli. The sun does, however, tire them out. P.215 'The Awakening'. Stefan: "Without such a talisman, we die in sunlight as if in a fire." P.217 In regards to Stefan's new ring: "You do not need it yet to face the sun," she said softly, smiling. "But very soon you will." - it seems that the change is gradual enough that the newly changed/changing aren't hurt by the sun. P.231, The Fury - Katherine burns in a matter of seconds, bursting into flames and blackening before turning to Ash. Stefan later states that this is a sign of her age. The old ones burn, and the young ones just die. Stefan's own arms are red from a second of exposure.
- Wood: While White Ash wood seems to be specifically poisonous to Klaus, any kind of wood is poisonous to Stefan and likely Damon. Neither Stefan or Damon have problems with handling wood; Stefan snaps a log in half in the Awakening, Damon rips up trees, and Stefan handles the White Ash wood tree used to make the spear with no ill effects. From this we conclude that wood is poisonous to them if it hits the blood stream - staking is certainly effective (and technically fatal for Stefan in Dark Reunion), and Damon finds the wooden bullets loaded in Alaric's gun in The Fury to be very distasteful.
- Vervain: P.346. Vervain. Protects against bewitchment and can keep the mind clear when Powers are being used against the holder.
- Myth Weaknesses: P.346. Garlic. P.346. Crosses. Though belief can strengthen a person's will to resist. P.346. Silver bullets. Those are for werewolves. They don't like silver in any form. P.348. No reflections. Stefan reveals he has a reflection in the rear-view mirror of the car. Throws into question why there's no mirror in his bathroom. I still think that's Mrs. Flowers' idea of a joke.
- Ways Of Killing Vampires: P.347 Sunlight, wooden stake, beheading, burning, driving nails through the temples.
LESS COMMON METHODSEdit
Other Forms of Protection From VampiresEdit
Stefan's Vampire StatisticsEdit
Stefan was a seventeen year old human boy who lived during the Italian Renaissance in Italy, sometime in the 15th century (1400's). There, a beautiful young woman arrived named Katherine. Katherine was dying from an illness (though she was a vampire, and had been cured once becoming a vampire, unknown to her father), and her father Baron believed the warmer weather would help Katherine recover. Katherine was also given the choice of choosing a husband, and she could stay in Italy. Katherine and Stefan fell in love, and eventually Katherine revealed her true nature. But Katherine loved Damon too. Katherine came to them both that night, giving them blood at two different times and to each of them. They both thought they were the only one Katherine had chosen to give blood to. However, she revealed her decision: they would all live together forever, joyously. However, Katherine ran away in tears, heartbroken, especially after they asked her to choose between them. The next day, they found Katherine's lapis lazuli sunlight ring, a pile of ashes and Katherine's dress under her favourite lemon tree, along with a suicide note. The brothers blamed each other for her death, and fought to the death with swords, killing each other. The next day they both woke up in their family crypt as vampires. Stefan was born in Florence, Italy during The Renaissance Period. He is the younger son of Conti Di Giuseppe Salvatore and his unnamed mother, who died after Stefan was born. Stefan has an elder brother, Damon Salvatore, with whom he has a very intense, chaotic and tumultuous relationship with since childhood. He is the true love and soulmate of Elena Gilbert, who coincidentally happens to be the spitting image or near doppelgänger of his "dead" vampire love interest back in the 15th century, Katherine von Swartzschild. Stefan appears in all of the novels thus far and is passionately in love with Elena Gilbert. He will do absolutely anything and everything for her, and would be willing to die for her in order to protect her and keep her safe from all harm. Stefan selflessly loves Elena so much so that he would even be willing to give Elena up to his brother Damon if that is what she really wanted. Physically, Stefan is described to be classically handsome and extremely and hauntingly beautiful (by Elena, Bonnie and Meredith). Personality wise, he is described to be very mysterious, brooding, intense, inscrutable and secretive but he is very selfless, brave, noble, gallant, kind, caring, empathetic and compassionate. He is a 500+ year old vampire who was born during the 1400's in Florence, Italy and lived during the time of the Italian Renaissance during the 15th century. It was then, when young seventeen-year-old Stefan met and fell in love with a beautiful, young German girl named Katherine von Swartschild, who turned out to be a vampire. Katherine turned both Stefan and his brother Damon into vampires, in hopes of all of them living happily ever after together and also, in hopes to help rekindle Damon and Stefan's rivalry and brotherhood. Stefan first met Katherine when she came to Italy from Germany because the weather was much warmer and nicer, and her father, Baron Von Swartzchild, thought it would help Katherine overcome her illness (although Katherine was not really sick any longer, because Klaus, an Original vampire and the oldest, most powerful vampire on Earth, had turned her into a vampire by her maid Gudren's request, unknown to Baron), and Stefan eventually fell in love with her. While Stefan and Katherine loved each other, Katherine also took an interest in Stefan's rebellious and charming elder brother, Damon. This caused the rivalry between the two Salvatore brothers to heat up even more intensely. The two brothers believed Katherine had died one day when they found her lapis lazuli sunlight ring, a pile of ashes, and her dress under her favourite lemon tree. Both brother believing her to be dead, they both fought to the death with their swords and killed each other, but, having both drank Katherine's blood the night before, they woke up in their family's crypt transformed into vampires. Stefan is deeply and strongly tortured by being a vampire and is very self-loathing, believing he is a monster incapable of love and being loved by anyone. Because of this, Stefan has chosen to live in the darkness and in the shadows, isolated from the light and isolated into complete and utter darkness and loneliness. Stefan is also deeply guilt-ridden due to his dark, mysterious and painful past and he feels extreme guilt over killing his brother, damning him and triggering Damon's transformation into a vampire. Stefan is the only vampire so far to have not killed any humans and he lives on a diet of animal blood, refusing to drink human blood under any circumstances. Stefan lives by a strict code of morals and ethics, therefore he refuses to harm innocent humans for the sake of their life essence (blood). He even promises himself that he would rather die of thirst to kill an innocent human being for their blood. As opposed to his elder brother Damon, who enjoys vampirism and the killing of many innocent humans for their blood, Stefan believes it is wrong to take innocent human life for the sole purpose of taking their life force, which is their blood. Stefan is generally portrayed as the romantic, tragic hero who is the good, moral vampire brother of the series and who is deeply selfless, mysterious, tortured, complex, brave and noble.
Stefan is extremely, inhumanely beautiful, classically handsome and drop dead gorgeous. All of the girls of Fells Church are intrigued with him, and they all want him and desire him at Robert E. Lee High School, but he ignores their attention, including Elena Gilbert's at the very beginning of the series. He is described as being the ultimate looker: very gorgeous and good looking, having the physical appearance of an Adonis and an innocence that is rather Godlike. Stefan is described to have a very strong physical resemblance to his elder brother, Damon due to the Salvatore relation (this has been noted by both Elena and Bonnie). Due to him being immortal, Stefan is very youthful and boyish looking. Stefan eternally looks seventeen years old and will never grow old due to his immortality. Stefan has a classic romance novel appearance, which is dreamy and mystical and he has the physical appearance that many women dream about in their dreams. He has strong, perfect bone structure with exceptional jawline and incredibly well sculpted high cheekbones. a quote from "The Awakening" describes his cheekbones: "Those cheekbones were a sculptor's dream." He is described as disturbingly or hauntingly beautiful by Elena. Stefan is average height to medium tall and of a good, solid height; he is quite a bit taller than Damon. Stefan is above average height, about five-foot-ten and was considered to be 'tall' back during the days of The Renaissance. Stefan has radiant green eyes and they are often described as being green as oak leaves. Stefan's eye color has also been described as being the color of emeralds, malachite and holly green leaves. Stefan's has short hair, which is very dark, jet black in color, and described to be soft, luxurious and wavy in texture (sometimes described as curly). Stefan's lips and mouth are said to is perfect. Coloring wise, he is the complete opposite of Elena (who has very fair, white skin). Stefan is very pale. He has a beautiful mouth and lips. Stefan's hair is described by Elena as being, "a dark sea of tumbled waves". Stefan has long legs and lean, flat, muscled body. Stefan tends to wear expensive clothes, usual black in coloring. Stefan wears a lapis lazuli ring on his middle finger, which is a talisman against the sun. The ring enables him to walk out in daylight. There is a quote in "The Awakening" on Elena's description of Stefan's physical beauty and his appearance: "But there was that mouth. That sculpted mouth that made her weak with something entirely different than nervousness." Stefan's stature is described by Elena as being perfect and she has consistently described Stefan is hauntingly and inhumanely beautiful. In "The Struggle," Elena repeatedly states that Stefan is extremely inhumanely beautiful with a beautiful, pure but tortured, lonely and lost soul.
Stefan has a naturally kind, caring and selfless personality and a tender, empathetic, gentle nature and he is pure of heart, even though he is a centuries old immortal. Stefan is a deep romantic at heart, loves extremely passionately and very intensely and he loves Elena with a strong, fiery passion. Stefan is, however, extremely tortured by being an immortal, a creature of darkness meant to hunt and kill, and because of this, he has not killed any humans, even in the past. After being turned into a vampire, Stefan vowed to feed only on the blood of animals, although Stefan even feels guilt and remorse for feeding on animals as well. Between him and Damon, Stefan is the good, moral, benevolent brother of the series. When it comes to his personality, Stefan is almost the total opposite of Elena and because of this, they are highly complementary with each other. Elena is more outgoing, while Stefan is more shy and reserved. Elena is more selfish, while Stefan is more selfless and self-sacrificing. Elena is more vain, while Stefan is more humble. Elena is popular and sociable, while Stefan is more of a loner and quiet. Elena is more cheerful, while Stefan is more brooding. Elena's more headstrong and aggressive, whereas Stefan is more laid back and passive. Personality traits wise, Stefan is described as brooding, intense, inscrutable, stoic, heroic, brave and mysterious. Stefan is sometimes also said to cynical, pessimistic and quite stubborn (like Elena). Stefan is the good brother and he has strong morals and values, believing in justice, in humanity and doing the right thing. Stefan strongly respects humans, doesn't kill them, drink their blood and has a strong degree of regard for human life, even though he could easily do so, but he deeply and strongly respects mankind. Despite Stefan's good, pleasant and friendly nature, he had a hard time making friends quickly in the beginning, mostly because he was reserved, intense, and mysterious due to his dark mysterious past and because of who and what he is, which is a centuries old vampire. Once everyone knew that Stefan was a vampire, Stefan became much more relaxed and down to earth. Stefan has a tendency to be extremely guilt ridden, tortured, self loathing, martyring, self pitying, sanctimonious, and escapist. Stefan can have bouts of melancholy due to him blaming himself for things. Stefan is generally calm, gentle and level headed but if you provoke him, he can snap. Elena has described Stefan as "intimidating" when he is loses his temper because he appears very ruthless, cold, unfeeling, detached and calculated. Stefan has a sense of duty, responsibility, compassion, intelligence, aristocracy and nobility. He had a noble upbringing in Italy. Stefan is very good hearted, pure, innocent, compassionate, heroic, brave, noble, romantic, gallant and empathetic. Stefan is an extremely noble, honorable individual and he lives by a strict code of morals, ethics and values. When it comes to trusting or believing his brother Damon, Stefan tends to be rather naive, believing that Damon does have inner goodness inside of him and does not mean to commit immoral acts. Stefan is socially loyal and fiercely protective of mankind, especially those that he loves and cares about. Stefan is highly protective of Elena, and will do absolutely anything and everything to protect her from harm or darkness. Especially when Stefan is around Elena, he is extremely happy and joyful and tends to smile a lot, though Stefan only does so from time to time. Stefan is highly intelligent, ambitious, sharp, cultured and educated. He spent much of his life focusing on his education, his studies, learning, his family and friends, and his duty to Florence. Damon has said that his brother has "lived among books and paintings". Family and friendship is extremely important to Stefan and he values family above everything. Stefan tries to see the best in everyone, and bring out everyone's good side. Damon has hated Stefan ever since childhood for reasons that Stefan could never understand, but Stefan believes that Damon's antagonistic feelings come from Damon believing that he (Stefan) was responsible for their mother's death due to giving birth to Stefan. Stefan is loving, giving, tender, noble, respectful, gracious, chivalrous and courteous. These traits have been noted by both Katherine von Swartzschild and Elena Gilbert. Stefan has a sense of nobility and aristocracy. Even though Stefan is quite strong and overpowering, he is the weaker brother in terms of power, as he only feeds on animals (rabbits, deer, birds etc), whereas his brother Damon drinks human blood and is regarded as one of the strongest vampires residing on Earth. Even though Stefan doesn't live on a diet of human blood, he still possesses the standard vampire powers and abilities. Stefan is very polite, soft spoken, acts like a gentleman and is extremely well-mannered. Stefan frequently shares blood with Elena, though he refuses to kill, take human life or drink human blood. Stefan has a strict code of ethics and morals. Stefan hates himself and is tortured by his vampiric nature. Stefan has many nicknames, given to him by family and friends. Stefan has been described by all the girls at Robert. E. Lee High School as being a gentleman and a classic romantic. Stefan can be rather sensitive, as well as mysterious and intense. He has a deep conscience and strong morals. At heart and by nature, Stefan is an extremely moral, good, compassionate, and empathetic person.
Early HistoryEditStefan was a seventeen year old human boy who was born during the 1400's. Stefan was born in Florence, Italy to Conti Di Giuseppe Salvatore and his un-named mother during the Renaissance period along with his older brother, Damon. Damon never liked Stefan since childhood, who suspected it was because of his birth that had weakened their mother and she died a few years afterwards. During the summer, Baron von Swarzschild, a German nobleman and a friend of Giuseppe, came to Italy from Germany with his young, beautiful daughter Katherine and stayed with the Salvatores to help Katherine with her recovery from a dreadful illness, which had severely weakened he already fragile state. Over time, Stefan fell madly in love with Katherine, who later revealed to him that she was a vampire. Over the months, Stefan and Katherine spent a lot of time together and their father's had began discussing the prospects of possible marriage between the two. However, Stefan's brother, Damon returned from the unnamed university he was attending, and he caught Katherine's eye in attempts to gain revenge against Stefan by making it a competition for Damon due to his vanity, pride and ego. Stefan became jealous and unhappy by Damon's attempts of turning Katherine into a competition and he and Damon finally told her to choose between the two of them for whom she wanted to be her husband. Both of the brothers gave her time to decide, and the night before she announced her decision, Katherine had went to Stefan's chambers and exchanged blood with him, because she had chosen him, much to Stefan's great delight. But when Katherine announced her decision, Stefan and Damon were both shocked that she had chosen both of them, when she gave them both Lapis Lazuli silver rings, rings which would help to protect them from the sunlight after they complete their transitions into vampires.
Neither Stefan nor Damon could accept this, arguing that she must choose between the two of them and that they would never be fine with sharing her, much to Katherine's dismay. Because of the blood exchange which has taken place between him and Katherine, Stefan started to feel changes and alterations occurring within his body and realized that he longed more for blood than for ordinary human food. Finally, he went to Katherine's chambers with Damon and her maid, Gudren, who had told them that Katherine was alone in the garden. The Salvatore brothers searched for Katherine in the garden but couldn't find her there. Stefan then remembered that her favorite place to hang out was under the lemon tree. Stefan and Damon went over to the lemon tree where they thought Katherine was, until Stefan stumbled across Katherine's dress covered in smelly ash, with her 'daylight ring' on a rock with a note, saying she had committed suicide in the hopes that the brothers would end their rivalry, reconcile and love each other again. Unfortunately, this infuriated both the brothers even more and they fought over Katherine's protective ring. They fought with their swords, aiming to kill each other. Damon got under Stefan's guard and stabbed him right through the heart, killing him almost instantly. With every bit of Stefan's strength left, he used his sword and stabbed Damon in the heart too, killing him. With Katherine's blood flowing within their bloodstreams, they both transformed into immortals. Stefan kept Katherine's small lapis lazuli ring with him for many, many centuries later as a memory of his life with her and his love for her. During the beginning of his vampire life, Stefan chose to feed on the blood of animals, refusing to take innocent human life, while Damon chose to live a completely separate kind of lifestyle and take innocent human life, feeding on the blood of humans. When they came across each other at one point in time, Damon emotionally blackmailed and tortured Stefan and threatened to kill him if he didn't leave home, and Stefan, believing that his very own brother would indeed kill him, left his home of Florence for good. Stefan leaves Florence to get away from his dangerous brother and all that has happened in his dark, painful past. He chooses to start a new life for himself in a small, random American town of Fells Church, Virginia. Stefan is completely unsure of why he chose such a small and random town, but Stefan doesn't know that destiny and fate and completely new changes for him awaits...
Years later and centuries after he and his elder Damon transform into vampires, Stefan tries to escape from his dark, painful past by starting a new life in a random small town called Fell's Church, which is located in Virginia. Stefan could not figure out why he came to Fells Church, but felt that he was brought to the town by an unknown force and for unknown reasons. He fed on a rabbit before school but soon realized it wasn't enough to get him through the day. His arrival at Robert E. Lee High School caught the eyes of all of the girls in the vicinity, including Elena Gilbert, Bonnie McCulluogh, Meredith Sulez, and Caroline Forbes. Elena is intensely, strongly and passionately attracted to Stefan and displays an immediate and significant interest in him and has made a promise to herself that she will make Stefan hers, even if it kills the both of them. He used his powers on the secretary to allow him to become a student although he didn't want to use his powers at all. He felt Elena's power presence and spent the rest of the day trying to control his hunger. However, during European History Stefan saw Elena and was shocked that she looked exactly like Katherine. He was disgusted at how Mr. Tanner, the teacher, humiliated the students and drew attention to himself when he defended Bonnie McCullough by defying what the teacher said about students of the Renaissance. As the bell rang, Stefan left in a hurry answering a question of a fellow student who asked about football, saying that the game was sometimes played with the heads of prisoners of war.
Bonnie tuned into Stefan's thoughts to get a clue of his location, but the suspicions of where he could be was incorrect. With the help of Matt though, Bonnie, Elena and Meredith found Stefan in a well on the Old Francher's farm. Stefan was shockingly weak and was taken to the boarding house. Matt insisted that they get Stefan to a doctor, but Elena couldn't agree because of what Stefan was and had Bonnie get her sister Mary who was a nurse.
In the Fury, Stefan convinced Matt to let Elena drink his blood, in order to complete the transition into a vampire. At first Elena tried to kill Stefan, thinking that she loved Damon and not him. After she read her diary, she hated what she had done to Stefan. At the end Elena killed herself as she pushed Katherine into the sunlight, saving Stefan and Damon from being killed.
Stefan was in Italy with Damon, scolding him for not taking proper care of his secret as a vampire. Bonnie tried a summoning spell to call for his help and succeeded. Unfortunately, Damon returned to Fell's Church with Stefan. Bonnie, Meredith and Matt told Stefan of Sue Carson's death, and that there was another powerful force in town.
After Elena comes back as a spirit child, Stefan takes it upon himself to look after her. He does so until Elena goes back to her normal human self. After him and Elena go out into the wood kissing and exchanging blood Damon sees everything and storms off and makes a deal with Shinichi. The deal was to lure Stefan out of Fell's church without killing him. The lure was a website which said it would be able to turn him human again, of coarse it ended up being a lie and Stefan was trapped in some magical underworld. Elena was able to contact Stefan later on in the book and it was there she found him starved and ill-looking. At first he didn't believe it was Elena as his captors had appeared as Elena taunting him. She convinced him it was her and managed to give Stefan some blood, she wanted to stay longer but Stefan made her go after it was alerted someone was by his cell. At the end of the book Damon, Elena and Matt set out to rescue Stefan.
Elena had an out of body experience and willed herself to go to Stefan who was locked up in a cell. He was thin and weak. Whoever held him there tortured him with Elena's image, causing Stefan to be rude to Elena at the sight of her. However, when he realized it really was Elena, he tried to comfort her because his rudeness had hurt her. Elena tears restored some color in Stefan's pale visage, healing him from some of his weakness. When Matt woke Elena up, her spirit was taken away from Stefan.
In the television series, Stefan is portrayed by Paul Wesley. Stefan is quite different from his novel counterpart in terms of family background and history, but they are quite similar in terms of personality, although with some character differences. Stefan Salvatore is the male lead, the hero, the male protagonist and the main love interest of the heroine and protagonist Elena Gilbert. Stefan is also seen as the narrator of the story. He is known as the moral, good vampire brother, who is compassionate, empathetic, kind hearted and more affectionate. He is one of the three main characters of the series and is the deuteragonist of the series (Elena is the protagonist and Damon is the tritagonist) His malevolent elder brother, Damon Salvatore, who is also a vampire (and the complete opposite of Stefan in terms of temperament and personality), hates him, as he has promised him an eternal lifetime of misery. His former flame, Katherine Pierce is back in the town of Mystic Falls and is supposedly after Stefan's love again. However, despite Katherine's feelings for Stefan and her love for him, Stefan is repulsed by her and wants nothing to do with her whatsoever. Stefan is an 164 year old vampire of Italian-American descent, who was born November 5, 1847 (poss. 1846?) in the town of Mystic Falls, Virginia to Giuseppe Salvatore and his unnamed mother (who died when Stefan was 10). He is the youngest son of Giuseppe and the younger brother of Damon Salvatore. During his human life, Stefan was described as responsible, intelligent, ambitious, dutiful, athletic, noble, polite and respectful. Stefan liked sports and especially took pleasure in football, polo, and horseback riding. Stefan also loved literature, reading, poetry and writing in his journals. Before Stefan was turned into a vampire, Stefan was an aspiring doctor. Stefan was also his father Giuseppe's favourite son and he had a close relationship with him, the complete opposite of Damon, who shared a tension-filled relationship with Giuseppe. In terms of romance, women and the opposite sex, Stefan was popular, admired and well-liked with women. Stefan was seen to be respectful, courteous, chivalrous, romantic and polite. This was especially noticeable with Katherine. Stefan developed strong feelings for Katherine Pierce, but so does his brother Damon. The two eventually start to compete with each other for Katherine's affections. Although it was shown that Katherine displayed interest in both of the Salvatore brothers, it was evident that the younger Salvatore was the one she truly loved. When Stefan was just seventeen years of age, he died from a gunshot wound to the chest (which was fired by his own father, Giuseppe when Stefan tried to help Damon save Katherine from being put in the tomb and eventually being burned in the church). Stefan was compelled by Katherine to drink her blood against his will and because of this, Stefan died with Katherine's blood within his system after he was shot, hence triggering his transformation into a vampire. Physically, Stefan is tall and lean with an a slim, athletic, muscular build and physique. He is very handsome, attractive and good looking with short, cropped dark brown hair and he has expressive, intense but subtle green eyes. Stefan's expression appears quite serious, brooding and often sad especially in the beginning (mostly due to his guilt-ridden and dark, mysterious past), although he has a very engaging, warm and charming smile. He has a tattoo of a rose which is located on his upper right shoulder. The significance of Stefan's tattoo has not been explained and it is not clear or confirmed when Stefan got the tattoo.
Stefan appears to be quite sombre at first and a little distant towards most people, though generally polite, even-tempered and well-mannered. Personality wise, Stefan is described to be kind, compassionate, gentle, caring, selfless, heroic, noble and brave. He appears to be shy, a loner, passive, cynical, pessimistic, and incredibly brooding, the complete and total opposite of Elena, who is outgoing, popular, sociable, active, optimistic and cheerful. Stefan is in control of his emotions most of the time and he generally possesses a calm and quiet nature, however, his brother, Damon, is able to stir him into rage and anger him quite easily. Elena seems to be able to evoke a more passionate, fiery side to him and because of her, he seems to take on a more active role. Around his friends (such as Lexi and Caroline for example), Stefan is relaxed, down to earth and possesses a sense of fun, charm and a wicked sense of humor. Stefan has also displayed these same traits of a fun, playful and adventurous personality with Elena. After he is tortured by the tomb vampires in the episode Let The Right One In, he is rapidly weakened and Elena feeds him her blood but it brings out the predator, the beast and the monstrous side of him, which he hasn't revealed in over a century. Damon and Elena try to work together to help him get back on his regular animal blood diet and it eventually works, with Stefan fully recovering and returning to his normal and healthy self. In The Return, he still shows that he is a caring, empathetic, compassionate and understanding individual, but Stefan seems to have toughened up and he displays a significantly tougher side when he confronts John Gilbert, when he is in the hospital recovering from his injuries, after threatening Stefan that he wants to kill him by driving a stake through his heart and calling him a monster and insulting his daughter Elena's relationship with Stefan. Stefan displays his tougher and darker side when he threatens him to leave Mystic Falls for good and to never come back because Elena doesn't want him in town. Stefan continues to display his compassionate and helpful side when Caroline was turned into a vampire. Caroline, at first, had many struggles and issues with controlling her emotions and her bloodlust, which is a common thing with newborn vampires. When Caroline's emotions and urges become overpowering and she kills a young man named Carter at the carnival in Brave New World, Stefan comforts her, tries to assure her that he will help her through the rough times, says he'll help her adjust to her new lifestyle, which is a lifestyle of living on animal blood. In Bad Moon Rising, Stefan displays his thoughtful, helpful nature and Stefan takes Caroline into the forest to go hunting for forest animals together after Stefan gets Bonnie to enchant a daylight ring for her in order to protect her from the effects of the sun. In terms of his powers and abilities, since Stefan does not feed regularly on human blood like his older brother Damon, Stefan's powers as a vampire are not as strong as his brothers. Stefan lives off of an animal blood diet, therefore, this weakens his abilities. However, when hyped up on human blood, Stefan becomes extremely powerful and strong, even stronger then Damon. Stefan possesses the standard vampire abilities of immortality (meaning he cannot age or grow old), accelerated healing, fast reflexes, flying or floating, jumping heights or leaping, mind compulsion or influence, sensitive hearing, enhanced senses, superhuman speed, and superhuman strength. Stefan's weaknesses as a vampire include sunlight, invitations, vervain and wood. In order for Stefan to walk around in the sunlight, Stefan wears a Daylight Ring as a talisman against the sunlight, which is a heavy, silver ring with an enchanted Lapis Lazuli stone (enchanted by Emily Bennett back in 1864) on the middle finger of his right hand. On Stefan's ring, bears the Salvatore Family Crest with an "S" in the middle of the stone, indicating the first letter of his first name Stefan. His brother, Damon also has a similar ring which bears the stone with a "D", in which he wears on his left hand on his middle finger.
- Stefan was born during the fifteenth century (1474), during the period of the Italian Renaissance.
- Stefan was seventeen human years old when he died and was turned into a vampire.
- Stefan was a nobleman during his human years.
- Stefan was strongly favored over Damon by his father, Giuseppe Salvatore.
- Stefan was the brother whom Katherine loved more or best between him and Damon.
- Stefan is an excellent cook.
- Stefan played the position of wide receiver on his high school football team.
- Stefan has forest green eyes.
- Stefan has wavy hair.
- Stefan loves literature, books, and paintings.
- During his human life, Stefan was deeply attached to his family, friends and his duty to Florence. Stefan says that he had studies and ambitions. Damon describes Stefan as "sheltered".
- Stefan is well-read and highly cultured. During his human years, he was seen to be highly scholarly and ambitious.
- Stefan was a practicing Catholic during his human life. He was strong in his faith due to his Catholic upbringing and he would prey often.
- During his human years, Stefan would normally prey whenever he was distressed or upset.
- Back in his home of Florence, Stefan's bedroom contained a curtained bed with sheets and pillows. Stefan slept alone.
- Stefan did not routinely carry a sword during his human life in Florence.
- Before Damon arrived back from university for the summer, Stefan was facing possible arrangements to marry Katherine.
- At the beginning of the series, all of the female characters (Elena, Bonnie, Meredith and Caroline) displayed an attraction or a romantic interest in Stefan.
- Mrs. Theophilia Flowers whom Stefan lives with at her boarding house, has mentioned that she has a "soft spot" for Stefan.
- Stefan is a hopeless romantic. This is noticed by all of the women, including Katherine, Elena, Bonnie, Meredith and Caroline.
- Stefan was named after the first Christian martyr, St. Stephen.
- Stefan has the ability to read minds at increased speed.
- Stefan does not drink human blood under any circumstances. However, Stefan breaks this rule by drinking Elena's blood from time to time as a form of romantic bonding.
- If Stefan consumes a substantial amount of human blood, Stefan can shape shift into the form of a falcon and a hawk.
- Stefan used to wear a chain with Katherine's Lapis Lazuli gold ring around his neck as a way to keep his memories of her after her death (which turned out to be a faked death).
- According to Stefan, Damon has hated him for the longest time since childhood. Stefan believes that his birth might have caused their mother's death, therefore, why and when Damon might have began hating Stefan.
- Damon often refers to Stefan as "brother" or "little brother" and rarely if ever refers to Stefan by his first name.
- Stefan hates to look bad in appearance. He always likes to be well dressed and impeccable in appearance when he is around others.
- Stefan likes expensive clothing, especially black clothing. However, Stefan is mostly seen wearing t-shirts and jeans.
- Stefan is a masculine first name of Greek origin. It is a derivative of the name Stephen. It means "crowned" or "garland".
- Stefan's last name "Salvatore" means "Saviour" in Italian.
- Stefan is athletic and loves engaging in sports. His favourite sport is football. He has also recently learned and grasped the concept of basketball.
- Stefan loves playing the game of pool. He is known to be exceptionally good at it over years of practice.
- Stefan Salvatore - Information on the television series character.