|This article is about Stefan Salvatore from the TV Series. You may be looking for Stefan Salvatore from the novels.|
|“||I thought that killing Silas would allow me to move on with my life, but I was wrong. I spent my summer locked in a safe. One minute, I think I'm fine, and the next, I feel like I'm dying all over again.||”|
Stefan Salvatore is one of the male protagonists of The Vampire Diaries. He is a 163-year-old vampire. Stefan was born and raised in the supernatural town of Mystic Falls, Virginia and after graduating, he left Mystic Falls to get away and start over. He is the youngest son of Giuseppe Salvatore and his unnamed mother. He has an older brother, who is also a vampire, and an unknown half-brother. Stefan has had a love-hate relationship with Damon since 1864, when they both fell in love with Katherine Pierce, the woman who turned them both into vampires. Stefan's best friend was Lexi Branson. In the 1920s, Stefan had a brotherly friendship with Klaus and was romantically involved with Rebekah Mikaelson. He is currently best friends with Caroline Forbes.
After many years away, Stefan returned to his hometown of Mystic Falls to visit his nephew Zach. On May 23,2009, Stefan saw Elena Gilbert for the first time while rescuing her after her parents' car drove off of Wickery Bridge. Although he managed to save Elena's life, he could not save Elena's parents in time. Stefan was initially shocked and suspicious about Elena's uncanny physical resemblance to Katherine Pierce, and decided to research Elena's background in order to make sure that she wasn't the woman he'd fallen for over a century ago. Eventually, after finding her personal records and observing her from afar, Stefan determined that Elena was definitely not Katherine. Still, he was intrigued by her and decided to get to know her, posing as a new student at Mystic Falls High School.
Since then, Stefan's life has been fraught with change and complications: from falling in love and being with Elena to mending his complicated relationship with Damon; from sacrificing his freedom for his brother's life to growing apart from Elena and suffering the guilt of her becoming a vampire. Again and again, outside forces threaten those he loves and the life he most desires to have: a normal, human one.
Stefan was born on November 5, 1847 on Veritas Estate in Mystic Falls, Virginia to Giuseppe Salvatore and his wife (presumed to be Mary), who died when Stefan was younger. During his human years, his older brother Damon was his best friend and companion until the two had extreme differences concerning their lover, Katherine Pierce, who turned both Salvatore brothers into vampires.
Stefan was the first Salvatore brother to greet Katherine in 1864 when she came to live with them, though Damon met her soon after. She openly flirted with both brothers, but chose Stefan to escort her to the Founder's Ball. After the ball, Stefan walked Katherine up to her room and confessed his love to her. Though she was surprised, Katherine was clearly pleased. Another night, Stefan and Katherine were spending a passionate night together when she suddenly bit Stefan. The next morning, Stefan awoke with a bloody wound on his neck, and the previous night slowly returned to him. He was clearly frightened of her, saying that her face resembled that of a demon. To calm him down, Katherine compelled him to not be afraid of her.
After hearing of the town's plan to kill the vampires, Stefan went to see his father Giuseppe and unintentionally hinted to him that he knew of vampires staying in Mystic Falls, when he suggested that vampires might not be as bad as they are made out to be. During this conversation, his father drugged him with vervain. When Katherine went to see Stefan that night and bit him, the vervain poisoned and incapacitated her. Giuseppe, hearing Katherine collapse, entered and set in motion Katherine's capture. Later, finding out what had happened, Damon was devastated and furious with Stefan, as he had made him promise not to tell their father about Katherine.
Stefan felt extreme guilt for unintentionally being responsible for Katherine's capture and promised Damon that he would do everything he could to help Damon get Katherine back. They then planned a course of action to get around the guards who were on watch for the vampires, and eventually made it to the cage where Katherine was being held captive. They got Katherine out of the cage, but as soon as they were ready to escape with her, Damon was shot by an unknown person. Shocked and overwhelmed with grief to see his brother dying, Stefan picked up a gun to shoot whoever had shot his brother, but before he could do so, Stefan was also shot in the chest. He slowly lost consciousness as he watched Katherine, who lay on the ground nearby, still weakened by the vervain.
The next morning, Stefan woke up confused and dazed. He searched for his gunshot wound but found he had been healed, and noticed that he was a wearing an unfamiliar, large silver ring, with a deep blue stone and the Salvatore family crest with the letter 'S' on it. Emily Bennett then approached Stefan and told him that Katherine had had her make that ring for him (and Damon) weeks before. She explains everything that had happened since he was shot: she had found him and Damon lying dead in the woods, brought them to the quarry, and he and Damon were now transitioning into vampires. Stefan, confused, wondered how that was possible if he had never drunk Katherine's blood. Emily confessed that Katherine had compelled him for weeks to drink her blood, while Damon drank from Katherine willingly. Stefan soon approached Damon, who recounted seeing the townspeople dragging Katherine into the church and setting it on fire.
Later in the evening, Stefan began to notice that he had heightened senses, including super-hearing. He overheard his father and Johnathan Gilbert discussing the vampires being captured and destroyed, and that his father wanted to keep secret that his sons were vampire sympathizers, preferring they be known for dying nobly and bravely in the fight against the vampires. After Johnathan Gilbert had left, Stefan went inside to talk to his father, who was shocked to see that Stefan was "alive". Stefan wondered aloud to his father that even in their death, he still felt ashamed of his sons. Giuseppe retorted with disgusted disapproval that their mother would have been extremely disappointed in her sons, were she alive to see what they had become. He then confessed to Stefan that he was the one who had shot both him and Damon, shocking Stefan.
Stefan then told his father that he hadn't fully turned into a vampire yet and that he was choosing to let himself die instead of drinking human blood. Not taking any chances, Giuseppe tries to stake and kill Stefan. Underestimating his newfound vampire strength, Stefan threw Giuseppe against the wall, causing him to accidentally be stabbed by the wooden stake in the stomach. Overwhelmed and shocked, Stefan tried to help him, but Giuseppe refused him, disgusted by what Stefan was becoming. When Stefan pulled the stake out of his father's stomach, his bloodlust became too much for him to suppress and he tasted his father's blood, completing his transition into a full vampire.
Stefan then went to meet Damon, who had also planned to let himself die. He told Damon about how amazing it felt to be a vampire, that it was a gift; how he could willingly turn off his emotions, the pain and the guilt. Stefan had compelled a young woman to go with him to Damon, where he convinced his brother to become a vampire by drinking her blood. Damon initially refused, but Stefan would not relent, saying he couldn't let him die. Eventually Damon drank the girl's blood and told Stefan that he was right, that it felt like a whole new world being a vampire. Stefan hoped this meant they could be brothers and companions together forever, but instead Damon promised Stefan that he would make Stefan's life miserable for the rest of eternity.Weeks after he was newly turned and still lacked control of his bloodlust, Stefan went on a rampage, killing members of the Founding Families out of revenge for what they had done to Katherine. One member was Johnathan Gilbert, though he later came back to life with the help of his Gilbert ring. Stefan continued on a blood-drinking bender to try to make the guilt and pain of what he had done to Damon and his father go away. He compelled young women to go home with him, so he could toy with them and feed on their blood. When Damon found Stefan like this, he was upset by his brother's uncontrollable behavior and compelled all of the women to leave and to never come back. Damon tried to convince Stefan to control his bloodlust and moderate his behavior, but could not get through to Stefan until he announced he was leaving town. Desperate to keep his brother in his life, Stefan begged Damon not to leave, that he promised he would do better. Damon showed no sympathy for his brother's pleas and left, saying he would not let Stefan get them both killed, and that he would leave him to do that to himself.
One night, Stefan went to a camp where the war-wounded lay, and discreetly fed on their blood. It was there that he spotted a girl in the shadows and tried to attack and feed on her. Instead, she drove Stefan to the ground and turned out to be another, much older vampire by the name of Alexia Branson. Lexi needed a place to stay, so Stefan brought her home with him, where she found corpses drained of blood lying everywhere. Lexi told Stefan that he was a ripper, that there are good parts of being a vampire and there are bad parts, and that he was the bad parts. Determined to change that, she later walked with him through the camp where they had met, asking him how he felt about the suffering war victims. Stefan told her that he felt emotionally numb, that he felt nothing. She then explained that he felt nothing because he had managed to turn off the part that makes him feel, the human part of him; that in spite of the intensified pain and suffering vampires feel, love is what makes life worth living. Over the course of many decades, Lexi became Stefan's mentor, best friend and companion, and she showed Stefan the 'good parts' of being a vampire; how to live compassionately and reclaim the caring, empathetic person Stefan had been as a human. From 1864 to 1912, Stefan lived on a strict animal blood diet and no longer fed on human blood.
1912 and 1917
In 1912, Stefan returned to Mystic Falls to attend the funeral of his half-nephew, Zachariah. It was there that Stefan saw Damon for the first time in fifty years. Damon initially had no desire to rekindle any brotherly relationship with Stefan, but Stefan convinced Damon to join him for a drink, saying he had missed him.
Later, while at a boxing ring, Damon tried to persuade a very resistant Stefan to have a drink of human blood with him again, selecting Marianna Lockwood and luring her away from the crowd. Stefan fed on her, but quickly lost control of himself and accidentally ripped her head off, astonishing both of them. Out of extreme guilt and remorse, Stefan irrationally apologized and tried to put her head back onto her body. Stefan, angry with Damon for forcing him to drink human blood, refused Damon's offer to help him learn to control it, then ran off into the woods. Damon watched him go, concerned for his brother's well-being, though not enough to pursue him. After drinking human blood in 1912, Stefan fell off the wagon and returned to his former ripper lifestyle.
Klaus reveals that Stefan had become notorious for his horrific killing sprees, including the massacre of an entire migrant village in 1917, after which he became known as the "Ripper of Monterrey".
After Mexico, Stefan traveled to Chicago in 1922. It was there that he frequented a particular speakeasy, and one day caught the eye of a beautiful blonde, Rebekah. She initially resisted his interest, but they soon became romantically involved.
Stefan eventually met Rebekah's older half-brother, Nik. At first, Nik disliked Stefan because of his relationship with Rebekah. As time went on, however, they bonded over their similar family histories, as well as Stefan's penchant for petty cruelty toward humans, and became best friends who enjoyed each other's company immensely. The three of them frequently partied together at the speakeasy, enjoying booze, blood and dancing all night long.
On one such night of revelry, the club was attacked by what appeared to be the police. Discovering that the police were using wooden bullets, Stefan realized they knew there were vampires inside. He sensed Rebekah's panic when she responded cryptically "He's here," but before he could find anything out, Nik compelled Stefan to forget about him and Rebekah. Unbeknownst to Stefan, Katherine was in the club while the police were searching it; she spotted Rebekah's necklace on the floor and went to pick it up, but fled when she heard Stefan approaching. He in turn saw the necklace and picked it up, observing it carefully. A detective then approached him, showed him a sketch of Nik and Rebekah and asked if he had ever seen them before. Stefan told him what he believed to be the truth: that he had never seen those people before in his life.
In April of this year, Lexi found Stefan again, "dragged him off the train tracks" and started to help him recover his humanity and get off of human blood. According to Stefan's journal entries, it took the better part of a decade to do so; around 1935 he still felt cravings for human blood, but it was getting easier, and by the 1940s, still under Lexi's guidance, he continued to make progress with his rehabilitation.
Before he left for the war, Stefan, at Lexi's insistence, sought out his brother Damon in New Orleans in order to make amends with him. He approached his brother in a bar, and after an initial skepticism, Damon welcomed the reunion and seemed glad to have Stefan back in his life after thirty years apart. After Stefan told Damon about his plans to join the war effort as an ambulance driver, Damon proposed spur-of-the-moment that he could join Stefan. Unknown to Stefan at the time, Lexi talked Damon out of leaving with Stefan, citing his profligate lifestyle and how Damon's behavior would not be good for Stefan's rehabilitation. She seemed to be proven right when, after Charlotte had brought a bleeding victim back to the bar, Stefan started to lose himself at the sight and smell of human blood. Lexi's interference proved instrumental in the brothers' long estrangement, as Stefan left for the North African campaign believing Damon had abandoned him yet again.
In I Know What You Did Last Summer Stefan continuous caught after three months on the safe into the lake, he is drowning and waking many times helplessly to exit. It was revealed that Stefan was hallucinating conversations with Damon for all this time. When Damon told Stefan to turn off his humanity, Stefan refused in case he escaped. Later Stefan contemplates turning the switch off until a vision of Elena convinces him to keep on fighting.
In True Lies, Stefan is hallucinating still, he is next to the quarry with Elena, and the two are talking about it being a vision. The two kiss until Elena starts coughing and begins spitting out water to Stefan's shock until he wakes up once again. Later on, Elena, Damon and Elizabeth Forbes, finds the safe in the middle of nowhere, they open it to find a dead body of a man inside meaning Stefan is out and is hungry.In Original Sin, Stefan is walking through the street in a daze, until he comes across a bar. He enters and finds the bartender, Jo. He attacks her and drinks from her but stops himself and tells her to run. She does but he follows her soon after. as he gets out of the bar, the sun rises, but since his daylight ring was taken from him, he begins to burn.
Later on he wakes up and sees a mysterious woman. He warns her to stay away as he doesn't want to hurt her but she gives him a blood bag. She mentions how he is a doppelgänger, in which she reveals that she knew Silas, and he was her true love. She tells the story of how Silas and her were together and then revealing that while he was her true love, she wasn't his, and reveals herself to be Qetsiyah.Qetsiyah begins to make a daylight ring for Stefan and tells him of how at the planned wedding of hers and Silas, everything started dying, she realised that Silas was drinking the immortality drink along with another. She finds them and finds out that Silas chose to be with Qetsiyah's hand-maiden, Amara, the original doppelgänger of Elena.
Stefan realizes that Qetsiyah wasn't making a daylight ring for him. He tries to reason with her saying how he wants to take down Silas just as much as she does but she mentions how she is a vindictive bitch and doesn't trust anyone. She proceeds to knock him out.
Stefan wakes up just as Damon arrives. Damon tries to free him from his binds but they are magically bound to him. Qetsiyah arrives and tells Damon, that she plans to use a spell to link Stefan and Silas so that she can strip Silas of his mind control. Despite reservations from Damon, Stefan tells her to do it anyway. She does the spell in which she begins to fry Silas's brain. Stefan falls unconscious.
Damon tries to wake him but it doesn't work. Qetsiyah reveals that he will wake up in time and then mentions to Damon how his relationship with Elena is doomed. She reveals how every incarnation of the doppelgängers, always meets and falls in love and conquers all, saying it is the doing of the universe. She mentions to Damon, that he can leave Stefan with her so that he can continue his relationship with Elena with no interference. But Damon decides to kill Qetsiyah, but she is able to knock him out. Damon wakes up to find Elena arriving and going to Stefan not even going to him.
Back at the Salvatore Boarding House, Elena is sitting next to Stefan and puts his daylight ring on his finger. After Damon tells Elena what Qetsiyah says, and they are about to kiss Stefan wakes up. Both Damon and Elena are happy to see him awake, but Stefan reveals that he has no idea who they are, having lost all his memories of them.
In For Whom the Bell Tolls, After Stefan losing the memories, spending time with his brother Damon who is determined to help him recover his memory . When in a bar drinking together arrives the waitress, Stefan feels the need to drink her blood. After a while comes Elena but Stefan can't remember her, when Stefan disappears, Damon and Elena are worried about him . Stefan found the waitress in a room alone, he compels so she would not yell at the moment, when he is about to take her blood Damon appears and stops him.
Later they go to the cemetery Mystic Falls for the traditional Remembrance Day to honor the dead, Damon has to go and leaves Elena and Stefan alone, they talk about their family tragedies , he asks her how they met and Elena leads him to school to relive the moment.When they are in school remembering the first time they met, a student is bleeding and passes near Stefan , Elena realizes this and takes him outside of school. They live an enjoyable time together, where Elena teaches some of her skills, she takes him to the Wickery Bridge to remember when he saved her from dying . He tells her that when he is with her the blood thirst disappears and he feels better. They are about to kiss but Elena tells she's with Damon, that bothers to Stefan and his bloodlust returns, he disappears leaving Elena alone.
Stefan returns to the cemetery , where he meets with Caroline , he immediately recognizes to her and calls her, his best friend and that she looks much hotter than the pictures . Caroline is surprised and then arrives Jesse , Stefan tells to Jesse that he can smell the blood and he wants to drink it, Caroline compels Jesse to go and hide . She tries to calm Stefan but he asks if she has bags of blood, she says that has in the car but then Stefan disappears.
Jesse is hidden in a crypt but Stefan arrives and attacks him savagely, when Stefan is drinking his blood, Caroline arrives and stops him. She tells him that he is better but Stefan tells her that he has to go, he goes and leaves her alone with Jesse .
Later he is in the Salvatore's mansion burning his diaries , Elena and Damon arrive, they were worried about him . Stefan says that he not want to be with them and that everything will be fine because Caroline will be calling him every hour and that he trusts her.
He stands alone in the crypt when Caroline arrives, she is very sad about the death of Bonnie , someone that he can't remember. When Caroline is saying that she only has anger and sadness , Stefan interrupts her saying that she has him, he takes her hand and telling her that he will be for her.In Monster's Ball, Stefan attends the Costume Ball with Caroline and Tyler, he dresses like James Dean because he got for Caroline . Later, when he's drinking, comes Qetsiyah and joins him, Stefan can't recognize her by his memory loss, but Qetsiyah reminds him who she is. They are talking but they are interrupted for Damon taking to Stefan. When Stefan and Damon enter a room alone, Silas appears, Damon breaks Stefan 's neck so that Silas can take his identity and talk to Qetsiyah.
Later, when Stefan regains consciousness,Damon attacks him and Stefan is unconscious again.
When Stefan regains consciousness a second time, before Damon can make something Stefan attacks him breaking his neck, Silas is knelt in pain and Qetsiyah is worried about him because she thinks he's Stefan but Stefan arrives them where they are and reveals to Qetsiyah that she has been deceived, Stefan also regains his daylight ring.In Handle with Care, Stefan is located in the cabin of Qetsiyah , she tells him that is the day that Silas will die because he has taken the cure and that her will kill him, when Qetsiyah tries to leave the cabin they realize they are trapped by a spell of Silas . Later, Elena arrives at the cabin where this Stefan, she is worried about him because she believes he has been sleeping with Qetsiyah but Stefan made clear to her that isn't true , when Elena try to leave the cabin she realizes that is trapped with them. Elena is still with Stefan and Qetsiyah in the cabin , they are hoping that Damon carry out a plan to kill Silas because Qetsiyah has threatened the life of Elena , Stefan tells Elena that he wouldn't let to Qetsiyah hurt her. When Qetsiyah is distracted, Stefan stabs her and he escapes with Elena after Silas 's spell is over.
Elena is grateful to Stefan for having protected her, as he always does and then says goodbye to him. When Stefan enters to his room meets with Qetsiyah , who is angry for his betrayal and to revenge on him, she puts all his painful memories, Stefan is dismayed after that.
In Death and the Maiden Stefan's having a dream about how Silas stabbed him and put him in the safe. He wakes up as Elena comes inside his room and wakes him up.At first he's confused to why is she there and she says that she missed him. She brought him coffee and said that ever since he lost his memories she feels like she has lost a friend and she wants them to start clean.In that moment he interrupts her and says that he remembers driving to Portland and saying goodbye to Lexi as he was about to drop Silas's body at the quarry.
Elena is confused and asks him how does he remember this. He explains that Qetsiyah was in his room last night and brought back his memories as an act of revenge for his betrayal. After that they go downstairs and Damon asks him questions about there past to make sure Stefan really got all his memories back. Elena is happy about that fact but Stefan again remembers a moment from the past where the safe finally opened, and in his anger, he breaks the cup of coffee.
Later Damon shows him Amara in her cell and explains to his brother that they can use her so that Silas could bring Bonnie back to life. Silas however refuses to help them because he prefers Amara dead and gone to the other side so he can reunite with her. Damon, Elena and Stefan discuss the situation and Elena says that they need to hide Amara and keep her alive so that they can use that again Silas. Stefan, however is pessimistic and says that Silas isin't going to bring Bonnie back. Elena says that he got his memories back and he knows her better than anything and she's not going to give up on her plan. Stefan responds that he indeed knows her best-she puts her hope in all the wrong places and sometimes in the wrong people. He adds that Silas needs to die and put them all out of their misery. Elena says that as long as he's alive she's holding on hope that he can help them. The younger Salvatore is however angry and says that Silas needs to die and he needs to be the one who kills him.After that Elena talks to Stefan and says he shouldn't kill Silas, because witches are not easy to kill and Stefan might die. She adds that they've both been down the revenge road and it's not worth it.Stefan says that while he was drowning in order to keep himself sane he would think of the moments that made him happy. Now every time he closes his eyes he sees Silas's stabbing him,he could feel himself drowning and he needs to make it stop or he'll go insane and turn his humanity off. In the meantime Damon decides to use Qetsiyah's help so he could bring Bonnie back.She agrees and wants to use the tree doppelgängers so she can preform the spell and make Bonnie the anchor instead of Amara.
So Elena, Katherine, Amara gather up and Qetsiyah starts preforming the spell but Silas interrupts them and because of his magic the lights in the house go down.In that time Stefan steals Amara away and drags her to the woods. He calls Silas and says that he'll make everything to keep Amara alive until Silas comes there.The first immortal follows him in the woods and has a heartbreaking confession with Amara until Stefan catches him from behind. They fight for a short moment until Stefan throws a knife at him and kills him.
Amara yells devastated and kills herself too.
At the end of the episode they show Stefan as he is about the bury Silas. Elena comes and asks him if killing Silas worked and if he is now ok. Stefan doesn't respond but rather asks her why is this all so important to her. She says while he was drowning she was having the summer of her life,she got everything she wanted, even Bonnie and she needs to know that he's ok too. The younger Salvatore doesn't respond but instead says that he wanted Elena to find him when the safe find opened. He wanted it to be her and Damon.In the last minutes of the episode as Stefan is burying Silas all those bad moments from the drowning appear in his mind again. He falls to the grown saying that this should've stopped,but he's all alone in the woods.In Dead Man on Campus, Stefan continues to have nightmares for everything bad that he spent because of Silas, he is invited to the party that Caroline and Elena are organizing but he refuses to go to the party. Stefan is lonely and he don't want talk to anyone when he is drinking in The Grill Katherine appears and begs him to stay with her, he reluctantly agrees. Katherine is drunk, feeling hopeless about the fact that she is dying. They have a conversation. Katherine tells Stefan that what he is suffering is called PTSD (Posttraumatic stress disorder). Nadia arrives. Katherine introduces her to Stefan. Stefan helps Katherine to discover what is happening to Matt and what are the intentions of Gregor, Nadia's boyfriend .
Later on, outside Mystic Grill, Katherine discovers Stefan getting crazy because of the memories of being locked inside the safe. She calms him down by telling him to remember and name the people he has killed in order, starting with Giuseppe Salvatore. By telling her the names, he can control himself.
At the end of the episode, Katherine decides to commit suicide to end her misery by jumping off the bell tower. She writes a note to her daughter Nadia. Before Nadia has a chance to read it, Stefan discovers the note. Katherine jumps off the tower. Stefan catches her right on the moment which she is about to hit the ground. Katherine tells him that she has decided not to address the problems but he reminds her that she is Katherine Pierce and that she has to suck it up, he leaves and Katherine smiles.
As a human, Stefan was seen as being compassionate, kind, noble, honorable, intelligent, athletic, responsible, academic, dutiful, and a gentleman. He was definitely seen as the 'Golden Boy' and he had the admiration and respect of the entire town of Mystic Falls and most of all, of his father Giuseppe. Stefan was also seen to be ambitious and studious and he desired to become a doctor during his human life and this was his profession or career of choice before he was turned into a vampire against his will. In his human years, when it came to love and romance, Stefan was liked, admired by and popular with women. He was seen to be chivalrous, gallant, romantic, well-mannered, courteous and polite, traits which made Katherine Pierce fall deeply for the younger Salvatore.
In regards to Katherine, Stefan was much harder to get and challenging unlike Damon, who persistently chased and pursued Katherine as much as possible. Unlike Damon, Stefan had a very close relationship with his father Giuseppe and Stefan was Giuseppe's favorite son. Stefan was also close with his mother, Mary, before she had died when he was 10 years old. Before turning into a vampire in 1864, Stefan was seen to be happy, optimistic, light-hearted, playful, mischievous and naive. He was also seen as athletic, dutiful, respectful, intelligent, scholarly, noble, chivalrous and even-tempered. Stefan was very close to his older brother Damon growing up. Although Stefan was very popular and had many male friends during his human life, Stefan always considered Damon to be his best friend and companion. Stefan was also a bit idealistic when it came to love and romance, even naive at times. This is evident in Stefan when he very quickly and easily became infatuated and fell in love with Katherine Pierce, which is evidence of his youthfulness, naivety and simplicity as a regular teenage human. Although Stefan was only 17 years old, he displayed maturity, responsibility and had a wisdom beyond his years. Because of this, Stefan always seemed to be much older than his actual age.
As a vampire, Stefan's personality became increasingly complex. Much of Stefan's personality as a human transcended into his vampire personality, although his basic human traits became significantly more heightened. Although Stefan became increasingly darker by nature due to his vampire nature, he still retained the same basic personality traits that he had as a human. As a vampire, Stefan is described as mysterious, brooding, inscrutable, intense, kind, caring, empathetic, compassionate, loving, affectionate, heroic, noble, selfless, brave, intelligent, protective, and loyal. On the dark side, Stefan can be incredibly self loathing, self-destructive, addictive, guilt ridden, martyring, unpredictable, melancholic, self-righteous, naive, secretive and judgmental. Since he turned in 1864, Stefan has always had trouble controlling his blood lust, that has often become a major problem for him throughout the course of his immortal life.Because of his blood addiction, Stefan is a certified "blood-a-holic" (which is a term coined from alcoholic by Caroline). When Stefan consumes copious amounts of human blood, his entire attitude seems to change. When Stefan gives into his blood lust, Stefan is unstable, volatile, unpredictable, rash, reckless, careless and can become highly destructive. The "ripper" side of him usually causes him to push people away and become emotionally cold, withdrawn and distant. When Stefan lets his blood lust take over, this is because unlike his older brother Damon, Stefan never learned how to control, his thirst for human blood, he often shuts off his humanity and his emotions to block out his suffering, guilt and pain. After he was newly transformed into a vampire, Stefan was seen to be extremely dependent towards Damon. This was not the case when Stefan was a human. When Stefan was a human, although he and Damon were very close, Stefan always had an independent personality. Stefan's dependence on Damon due to his newborn vampire-ism and heightened emotions is example by a time right after he transitioned and then persuaded an unwilling Damon to complete his own transformation into a vampire.
Although Stefan was initially optimistic and happy that he and Damon were going to spend eternity together, Damon had shattered Stefan's optimism and hopes when Damon told Stefan he promised him a lifetime of misery. Over a century later, in the episode Rose, Stefan apologizes to Damon for betraying him and admits that he was selfish by getting Damon to complete his transition. That he did not want to be alone because he just wanted his brother by his side forever. There is a large part of Stefan and who he is deep down in his core that cares deeply and strongly for his own humanity as well as humankind. Stefan has a strong respect for humans and a strong regard for human life. Because of this, Stefan often feels immense guilt and remorse if he hurts, harms or kills a human. As the powerful witch Emily Bennett had once told him after Stefan had transitioned into a vampire, Stefan's heart is pure and good. This is what has caused most the self-loathing and brooding which has become deeply associated with Stefan's personality.When Stefan is at his best, he is extremely caring, loving, helpful, understanding, selfless, empathetic, and compassionate. He does not like to see others suffering or in any kind of pain, whether it be physical, emotional, spiritual or mental. Stefan can be very wise and comforting to others and people can always depend on Stefan. Stefan likes to give advice, help people, and comfort others who need comforting and support. Stefan is always willing to lend a helping hand when it is needed most and he will put the needs of others before his own. He is always willing to save people, especially those who need saving the most at a particular time. He is the kind of person who tries to protect and save everyone at the same time. Stefan is also highly honorable, noble, brave, courageous, altruistic, and selfless, especially when it comes to the people he loves and cares about.
One of the most heroic, selfless acts Stefan has ever committed is to give up his entire life in Mystic Falls, including his values, morals, and his devotion to his own humanity in order to save the life of his beloved brother (Damon) when he was dying from a fatal werewolf bite. When it seems appropriate, Stefan can be very fun-loving, upbeat and humorous. He is particularly practical, charming, playful, mischievous and humorous around his close friends (such as Lexi or Caroline, for example) or people who he knows. He can sometimes be somewhat sarcastic or display a dry, sarcastic wit. His best friend Lexi often brought out the more fun, light-hearted, playful side of Stefan's personality. Stefan is usually one to shy away from dancing, because he thinks that he is a bad dancer, but admits that he is much more enthusiastic about it when he is drunk or under the influence of alcohol. 
Stefan is charismatic, charming, passionate and deeply romantic and because of this, he is highly magnetic to and popular with the opposite sex. He has a very selfless, idealistic approach to love. Stefan is known to be respectful, polite, courteous, and chivalrous towards women. Because of this, Stefan has always been popular, admired and loved by the opposite sex or women since his human life. He almost always respects women's (namely Elena) choices and decisions, even if he doesn't agree with them. This is especially shown with Elena, but also with Caroline and Bonnie in particular. His deep, strong love for Elena Gilbert has highlighted how his values and outlook on life have significantly changed since he was human and how deep, affectionate, understanding and loving he can truly be. Elena's own compassion and kindness are very important to Stefan. He is often very tender, loving and gentle towards Elena but he is also extremely passionate about her. Stefan has also proven many times, that values such as respect, honesty and trust are very important to him when it comes to romance, love and relationships. Stefan often emphasizes the importance of free will, freedom, liberty, choice and respecting one's decisions.
After Tessa strips away Stefan's memories in order to take away Silas' own mental powers, his personality developed obvious changes for a brief period of time. Stefan's naturally serious and broody demeanor lessened considerably, becoming more gregarious and even easygoing. He was also more inclined to bold bluntness and his sense of humor was slightly more sarcastic as well as almost taunting, particularly to Damon and Tessa. He also showed little reluctance to dancing in public with others, a sharp contrast to his old self who felt extremely uncomfortable with dancing. Stefan's personality was able to emerge more fully into itself without all of his guilt weighing him down, prompting to show sides of himself he would have had if he had never killed so many people as the Ripper or turned Damon into a vampire.
One of Stefan's most marked differences without memory was his opinion on being a vampire and giving in to the bloodlust. Upon the discovery of what he was, Stefan expressed confusion over not feeding on people and failed to see what was wrong with it, as going as far to say since he was a vampire he should act like one. This was a drastic change from Stefan with his memories who had both moral and practical reservations, and consistently refrained from feeding because he feared he would lose control and kill. Without memory Stefan wanted to feed on people, and theorized that the reason he had lost control was an attempt to escape the constant feelings of guilt and responsibility he bore after turning Damon but that would no longer be a problem since he didn't have those terrible memories; interestingly enough, Memories Stefan had once confirmed this. Ironically, Stefan's initial naivety and desire to feed paralleled his behavior after being turned into a vampire in 1864. In both cases he had been in awe of being a vampire and sought to embrace it.
Stefan had also briefly displayed much more dismissive and almost callous behavior towards the victims he had supposedly murdered in the past since he was unable to feel sorry for things he couldn't remember. He had reacted calmly to being told he killed his own father, and showed no reaction being informed he had murdered Honoria Fell while walking past her gravestone. Stefan had also asked half-jokingly once entering the Salvatore tomb if there was anyone he didn't kill in their family. However, not too long afterwards he began to display remorse for the horrible person he at some point seemed to be, openly calling himself a monster and admitting that he even scared himself once he nearly killed a innocent girl while thinking he could handle it.  This stuck true to Memories' Stefan's pattern soon after he became a vampire.
However, Stefan was not entirely different from the person he had been before the memory loss. He retained his intelligence and logical nature, shown when he figured on his own he had once dated Elena and had come back to Mystic Falls because of her as well as pointing reenacting their first meeting would not make him remember her.  Stefan still carried his caring and kind interior as well, though on the outside he was somewhat more rude and less polite than before. Another trait he kept was his attraction to Elena. In only after seeing her a few times, Stefan started to flirt with her and began having jokey and teasing conversations. When Elena reminisced about their relationship to jog his memories, he even declared she made his bloodlust fade and he could understand why he felt different around her.
After Elena rejected Stefan's attempt to kiss her and informed him she was dating his brother, he was thoroughly confused and hurt to know she had not told him beforehand. This caused him to display clear differences from who he was with memories albeit briefly. Feeling betrayed by this realization despite having no memories, Stefan impulsively attempted to attack Jesse and stated he saw no point in being good if he had nothing to show for it and that his brother had "stole" his girlfriend. This was a sharp difference from the Stefan who had his memories since he maintained his morals despite Elena choosing Damon and did not want to stop being good for even a moment.
Stung by this event, Stefan was cold towards Elena and Damon. He had insisted he wanted nothing to do with either of them, and he rather wanted to forge his own path away from them. Stefan had even gone as far to say the only one he truly trusted was his best friend, Caroline. Despite this, he would later clarify he did not hate Elena and still cared for her, shown when he had stood up against Tessa so she wouldn't be killed. Stefan would justify this by telling Elena he had simply followed his instincts, and would not let someone good get killed if he could help it, proving he still maintained his heroic and chivalrous disposition somewhere inside him. Elena had recognized this, and responded by noting he was still him in some ways since his first instinct had always been to protect her.
- Main article: Stefan Salvatore/Appearance
Physically, Stefan is described to be classically handsome and athletic, with a brooding, mysterious and intense aura. Stefan has a pale complexion, broad forehead, strong bone structure (angular jawline), deep-set, forest green eyes, a straight nose and a well-formed mouth. He has straight, short, dark blonde hair which is often gelled or spiked. Stefan also has straight teeth with a heartwarming smile. Stefan is of slightly above average height, about 5'11", and he has a lean, flat-muscled and athletic physique. In regards to his clothing and fashion sense, Stefan is generally trendy and casual.
He is often seen wearing darker colors such as black, grey and dark blue, although sometimes he wears lighter colors. Stefan has also been seen wearing plaid shirts in lighter tones from time to time. He is often seen wearing t-shirts, shirts or sweaters of darker colors and in various styles (such as short-sleeved, round-necked and v-necked shirts). Stefan is a casual, yet trendy dresser and he always looks neat, clean and well put together. He often wears dark or black jeans with a belt with black, leather boots with a buckle. On occasion, Stefan will sometimes wear black leather jackets and dark sunglasses, which give him a mysterious and rebellious aura. Stefan will wear more formal clothing, such as suits and tuxedos, if he is either attending a formal gathering/event or a special occasion.Stefan has a tattoo of a rose on his right shoulder. However, the origin of the tattoo, its significance and when Stefan got the tattoo is all unknown. He also wears a large, silver lapis lazuli daylight ring on the middle finger of his right hand in order for him to walk around in the sunlight. On his lapis lazuli stone bears the Salvatore family crest with the letter "S" for the first letter of his first name. During his human years in the 1860's, Stefan's sense of style was 'Victorian' and old-fashioned. In the 1864 flashbacks, Stefan was often seen wearing long pants, overalls made of denim with suspenders with a shirt underneath, dress shirts (often white in color), dress coats, vests (of various colors), trousers (normally in beige), waistcoats, and cravats with laced-leather boots (often beige in color). Stefan's hair was styled much differently; flatter and much longer in length with a part in the side.
Although Stefan was only a 17 year old teenager, Stefan appeared to look much older than his actual age because of the fashion at the time. It is assumed that Stefan's sense of fashion changed with the times. Damon mentions to Stefan in the Pilot after 15 years of not seeing each other, that the 90's "grunge" look did not suit Stefan, implying that Stefan went through a grunge phase in terms of his personality, attitude and his sense of style.
- "Whenever you go too far, I will be there to pull you back. Every second, every day, till you don’t need me."
- —Damon to Stefan in 1912
- Main article: Stefan and Damon
- "I picked you. Because I love you. No matter what happens, it's the best choice I ever made."
- —Elena to Stefan in Growing Pains
- Main article: Elena and Stefan
- "Because of you, Stefan. I'm good at it because of you. Come to me whenever you want, I won't let you lose control."
- —Caroline to Stefan in The Rager
- Main article: Stefan and Caroline
- "Although, I see i've been replaced by another blonde."
- —Lexi to Stefan in The Walking Dead
- Main article: Stefan and Lexi
Powers and Abilities
These powers grow stronger with age and blood.
- Super Strength - Vampires are much stronger than humans and grow stronger with time. Even new vampires who are still in transition can toss a fully grown human across a room with great speed and force. Their strength is also more powerful than werewolves that are not in wolf form.
- Super Agility - Vampires have shown that they can jump very high. Stefan jumped up to the top of a Ferris wheel and jumped off the Salvatore house even though he only drinks animal blood, so with human blood vampires can jump much higher. Vampires can jump with their super speed too.
- Super Speed - Vampires can accelerate their movements to cover short distances in an instant, faster than the human eye can see. When running across long distances, they appear as vibrating blurs of motion.
- Emotional Control - The supernatural ability to control and manipulate the emotions of one's self, and others.
- Dream Manipulation - Vampires can control dreams and subconscious. The vampires can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapped in the dreams.
- Heightened Senses - Vampires have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight and smell that far exceed those of humans and werewolves.
- Mind Compulsion - Vampires have the ability to control minds, plague people's dreams, and alter/erase human memories.
- Immortality - A vampire stops aging once turned. Upon their transformation, vampires then on become immune to all conventional illness, disease, virus and infection.
- Healing Factor - Vampires heal extremely quickly, but still feel the pain of a wound before it heals. Vampires can snap their bones back into place after being broken and have been seen to fully recover from gunshots, stab wounds, and torso impalement.The only injury that cannot be healed on its own is a werewolf bite.
- Super Durability - Vampires can take a great amount of damage.
- Fangs - Vampires can grow fangs which they use to feed, they might come out when a vampire is close to blood or angered.
- Decapitation: The act of dismembering or removing the head of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Fire or Sunlight: The act of exposing a vampire to fire or sunlight will result in permanent death.
- Vervain: The act of exposing or ingesting a vampire with vervain causes a vampire to become severely feverish and weak. Also, If a vampire's skin is exposed to vervain, it can result in burning them. Also vampires can't compel anyone on vervain.
- Wood: The act of wounding a vampire with wood will cause the vampire to become severely weak and if a vampire takes a wooden stake through its heart it will result in permanent death.
- Heart Extraction: The act of extracting or removing the heart of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Invitation: Vampires cannot enter a home without an invitation by the owner.
- Magic: Vampires are susceptible to the powers of witchcraft including the creation of harmful magical objects.
- Desiccation: Vampires who abstain from blood for extended amounts of time will eventually desiccate into mummification.
- Vampire Bloodline: If an Original vampire dies, all vampires descended from their bloodline will slowly perish.
- Werewolf Bite: The bite of a werewolf is extremely lethal to vampires. It will cause them to hallucinate, grow severely weak and go rabid until it kills them. Klaus' hybrid blood can cure the bite.
- Broken Neck: Breaking a vampires neck is a common way to subdue one, it will not kill them but it will keep them unconscious for several hours and when they are still unconscious they won't have a pulse and appear to be dead.
Novel: Stefan's Diaries
Stefan's Diaries is a trilogy of novels based and written according to the TV series version of the Vampire Diaries. The books are narrated by Stefan and therefore, are from Stefan's point of view. It is a retelling of Stefan's history before and after he transformed from a wealthy, well adjusted youth to a vicious immortal.
It is said that he had a horse named Mezzanotte (Midnight in Italian) when he was human. Stefan knows four languages, English, French, Latin, and Italian, the later two less fluently. He said he learned French at his mother's knee. He had nanny named Cordelia and his ex-fiance, Rosalyn Cartwright, was killed by a jealous Katherine. Stefan is the first of the two brothers to embrace his nature and accidentally killed his father, later purposely killing the barmaid, Alice, and forcing Damon to change to feed in order to complete his transition.
Stefan is, at first, confused, but understands what has happened to himself. Emily answers a few of his questions and confirms that Katherine had indeed killed Rosalyn. Stefan goes to see his father, who reveals that he was the one to kill him. He tries again, and in self-defense and underestimating the strength of his newborn vampire abilities, Stefan throws him off and Giuseppe is mortally wounded. Stefan tries to help his father take the stake out of him, but his bloodlust takes over his rationality. Stefan tastes his father's blood and transitions into a vampire, but when he offers to save Giuseppe, his father refuses and dies. Stefan later attacks Alice, a barmaid, and takes her to Damon. He gets Damon to feed, completing his transformation into a vampire.
In Stefan's Diaries: Bloodlust, it is shown that Stefan originally acted like Damon when they were turned, feeding on whomever, whenever, wherever, with no regards for the consequences. He had trouble with compulsion at first and killed as a "more permanent style of memory erasing". Damon swore to avenge all of Stefan's murders. He met Lexi in New Orleans and she got him to feed on animal blood. He dated a human, Callie Gallagher, as he tried to free Damon from Callie's father's imprisonment. After the brothers escaped, Stefan wanted to run away with Callie who was killed by Damon, much to Stefan's horror. When he notice Damon has been waiting for the day they had a fight because Stefan made him turn.
After leaving New Orleans, Stefan moved to New York and while hunting a squirrel, he found the body of a young girl who was bleeding to death. Despite his raging hunger, he fed her some of his blood and took her to her home. The girl, Bridget, was healed by the little blood Stefan could spare and her father insisted on giving Stefan room in his household, even though Stefan appeared to be a vagrant. Once he cleaned up, the family was surprised to find that Stefan looked like a perfect gentleman. However, Stefan's hunger grew and he attempted many times to escape the family's hospitality due to his thirst for their blood. It turns out that it was Damon's plan all along to bring Stefan to the family. He was determined to make him suffer as he was still mad at him for making him turn. Stefan was forced to marry Bridget because of Damon as he wanted to mess with his little brother. But the Family was later killed by an enemy they were not aware of.
L. J. Smith Novels
- Main article: Stefan Salvatore (novel)
In the novels, Stefan is Damon's moral, benevolent younger brother. Stefan Salvatore was the hero, the male protagonist (opposite of Elena, the female protagonist), the deuteragonist, and a main character of The Vampire Diaries novel series. He is a 500 plus year old vampire born during the time of The Renaissance, who was one of the Salvatore brothers that fell in love with Katherine von Swartzschild during his human life (which was the time of the Italian Renaissance) and before he was transformed into a vampire. Stefan is the son of (Conti Di) Giuseppe Salvatore and his un-named mother (who died a few years after he was born), the younger brother of Damon Salvatore, the past love and object of obsession of Katherine von Swartzschild, the one true beloved, ultimate soulmate, and love interest of Elena Gilbert, close friend with Bonnie McCullough and Meredith Sulez, best friends with Matt Honeycutt, ally of Zander, former fling of Caroline Forbes, a rival of Tyler Smallwood and enemies with Misao, Shinichi, and Klaus. Katherine was Stefan's, as well as his brother Damon's creator. Katherine was the one who transformed both of the Salvatore brothers into vampires. After Katherine's "fake death", the heartbreak he endured after thinking he lost her and the continuous tumultuous relationship in which he had shared with his elder brother, Damon, Stefan makes an attempt to run far away and start a new life somewhere else, away from his dark and haunting past. Stefan runs away and attempts to start a new life on his own in a town called Fells Church, a town located in the American state of Virginia (it is later said that a powerful force of some sorts drew Stefan to Fells Church, although he couldn't understand why he was drawn to the town in the first place).
Stefan arrives in Fells Church and enrolls as a high school student at Robert E. Lee High School in order to blend in like a regular 17-year-old human teenager (even though Stefan is really 500+ years old). It is there, where Stefan fatefully and inevitably meets Elena Gilbert. He is intensely, immediately and indescribably drawn to her. Stefan is immediately able to "sense" Elena's mind and presence out of everyone else's minds within the entire school and he notices that her mind is significantly different then everyone else's, although, Stefan cannot understand why is able to feel this way towards Elena, who happens to be a complete and total stranger to him. Stefan was able to sense Elena's mind long before he met her in person and he sensed her presence immediately after arriving in Fells Church. He easily recognized it once he came to school that it was the presence of Elena. Elena bears a strong resemblance to his old and first love, Katherine, and because of this, he repeatedly tries to avoid her at all costs during the beginning of the series, feeling that her uncanny resemblance to Katherine brings up painful, sorrowful memories of his dark, mysterious past. Stefan fell deeply and strongly in love with Elena at first sight but later on, Stefan eventually lets his walls crumble even more and falls in even deeper and passionate love with Elena. However, despite the fact that Stefan falls for Elena and Elena reciprocates his love, his elder and malevolent brother Damon follows him to Fells Church in order to make his life chaos and repeatedly makes attempts to try to steal Elena away from him out of revenge against him. Throughout the course of the series, Stefan has been strewn out of Fells Church, mostly out of his control, causing him and Elena to repeatedly become separated from each other. Because of this, it has caused Stefan to leave Elena's well-being and life in the hands of his impulsive, amoral and dangerous older brother, Damon Salvatore.
- Stefan is a masculine first name of Greek origin 'Στεφανος (Stephanos) meaning "crown", "garland", or invested with a "crown of martyrdom". In turn, Stephen or Stefan comes from the Greek word "στέφανος", meaning "wreath", "crown", "honor", "reward", literally "that which surrounds or encompasses". It is a variation of the name Stephen.
- Saint Stephen was a deacon who was stoned to death, as told in Acts in the New Testament, and he is regarded as the very first Christian martyr. Due to him, the name became highly common in the Christian world. It was popularized in England by the Normans.
- Other spellings and variations of Stefan include Stefen, Stefon, Steffan, Steafan, Steafean, Stefaan, Stefanson, Stefaun, Stefawn, Stefano, Steffano, Stefanos, Stefans, Stefos, Stephano, Stephenos, Staffon, Steffone, Stefone, Stefonne, Stepan, Stepa, Stepane, Stepanya, Stepka, Stipan, Stepfan, Stephanus, Stephanne, Stephaun, Stephen, Esteban, Estebe, Esteven, Estevao, Etienne, Istvan, Szczepan, Tapani, Teb, Teppo, Tiennot, Stenya, Stephfan, Stephin, Stepvin, Stephon, Stepfon, Stepfone, Stephfon, Stephion, Stephonn, Stephonne.
- His last name, Salvatore, means "Savior" in Italian. His last name suits and fits Stefan's role in the series, considering that Stefan is the hero and the one who is always the savior making sacrifices, especially for those he loves.
- Other spellings of the name Salvatore include Salbatore, Salvator, Salvidor, Sauveur, and Xavier.
Behind The Scenes
- The casting call for Stefan was: "A gloriously, amazingly, epic-ly beautiful young man, elegant and ageless, he appears to be 17 or 18, but he’s really a 200-year-old vampire who has come to Mystic Falls in search of Elena. Stefan is poised, polite and reserved but easy to talk to, and intense sparks fly between him and Elena, who share the experience of having lost their parents…"
- Stefan was the very first character heard and introduced in the series.
- Stefan is the narrator of the series. It is Stefan who is telling the story and the story is from his point of view; "For over a century I have lived in secret; hiding in the shadows, alone in the world. Until now. I am a vampire. This is my story..."
- Stefan was born on Veritas Estate in Mystic Falls.
- Stefan's birthday is November 5.
- Stefan's zodiac sign is Scorpio.
- Movies: Stefan's likes F. Scott Fitzgerald, especially his masterpiece The Great Gatsby; Seinfeld; I Love Lucy is his all time favorite, Loving cup episodes are the best; Scorsese, Taxi Driver.
- Stefan enjoys listening to music by; Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, Kanye West and he even likes one of Miley Cyrus' songs.
- Stefan loves literature and loves to write, especially in his journal.
- As it appeared in the Pilot, Stefan seems to have a journal or diary for every year, recording all of the events and memories from each year in a journal. Stefan had even written in a journal during his Ripper phase during the 1920's.
- Stefan is very quick, intelligent and has an excellent memory. He is able to memorize events and dates at the top of his head as seen in The Night of the Comet.
- Stefan enjoys doing crossword puzzles.
- Stefan's car is a red 1963 Porsche 356B Karmann Coupe.
- Stefan owns a Harley motorcycle.
- Stefan was engaged to a girl named Rosalyn Cartwright before he met Katherine. (Stefan's Diaries)
- Stefan has been engaged twice.
- Stefan was an aspiring doctor during his human life.
- Stefan's favorite color is blue.
- Stefan plays and owns a guitar.
- Stefan is highly sentimental and likes to keep objects and souvenirs from his past as memories. Because of this, Damon has referred to Stefan as a "pack rat".
- Stefan wears his lapis lazuli daylight ring on the middle finger of his right hand. Damon wears his daylight ring on the middle finger of his left hand.
- Stefan loves football and is very good at it. He played the position of wide receiver on the high school football team.
- Stefan is an excellent cook.
- Stefan owns his own iMac desktop computer
- Stefan also owns his own typewriter.
- Stefan speaks four languages: English, Italian, Spanish and French.
- Stefan has a tattoo of a rose on his right shoulder.
- Stefan was his father Giuseppe's favorite son.
- According to Damon, Stefan attended many ivy league schools. He attended Harvard during the 1970's.
- Stefan had a horse during his human years named Mezzanotte, which means "midnight" in Italian.
- In the Pilot, Caroline says that she found out that Stefan is a Gemini, but this must be false information since his real birthday is in November, which makes his sign a Scorpio.
- Stefan has an Samsung Galaxy SIII.
- Stefan's cell phone number is 404-358-4345.
- Stefan often drinks alcohol to help curb his blood cravings.
- Stefan's aliases and nicknames include Stefan Pine, Silent Stefan, Stef, Ripper of Monterrey, Scholarly Stefan, Savior Stefan and Saint Stefan.
- In the novels, Stefan was named after the first Christian martyr, St. Stephen.
- Stefan died when he was 17 years old in human years, he transitioned into a vampire between 7 October and 27 October, 1864, a few weeks shy of his 18th birthday.
- Stefan helped both Damon and Elena's transition into vampires. In regards to Damon, Stefan got Damon to feed on the blood of a barmaid by biting her neck and tempting Damon to drink. In regards to Elena, Stefan brutally killed a guard by bashing his head against the bars so that Elena could gain access to blood to complete her transition.
- In both the show and the novels, almost all of the main female characters have displayed a romantic interest in Stefan.
- In the novels, Stefan loved Katherine for many centuries and was horribly saddened and grief-stricken over her "death". However, on the show, Stefan only loved Katherine before finding out that she was a vampire and before she had betrayed himself and Damon. He later shares an antagonistic relationship with her.
- Stefan on the show has had many love interests throughout the course of his life (both human and vampire). However, in the novels, Stefan has only claimed to have been in love twice in his 500 years of existence; first with Katherine and then with Elena.
- Katherine and Elena have both claimed to love Stefan first.
- Katherine has chosen or preferred Stefan over Damon. However, we can suppose that's because the Doppelgänger are predestined to be together.
- Stefan is the only known vampire that seems to be able to live completely off of an animal blood diet. He has most likely chosen this lifestyle due to his past issues with blood addiction.
- Canonically, Stefan has been shown to be a Ripper three times: once after he was newly turned in 1864, another time during 1912 to the 1920's and most recently in 2010.
- Stefan had been forced to become a Ripper once again by Klaus in the last episode of season 2, As I Lay Dying.
- He and Klaus are the only characters to have permanently killed a main character (Vicki and Jenna respectively).
- Stefan is the only character in the main trio who hasn't killed Elijah.
- Stefan and Damon's brotherhood and relationship is often compared to and mirrors [[Klaus and Elijah]'s relationship. In this scenario, Stefan is often compared to Elijah and Damon is compared to Klaus.
- In The Last Day, Stefan confesses that he has climbed Mount Everest.
- Stefan is the last vampire seen fed on by Mikael.
- In 1912, it is revealed that Damon and Stefan had a half-brother.
- Stefan is the first vampire to be bitten by an unsuccessful hybrid.
- In 1912, Stefan was living on a strict animal blood diet, controlling his urges for human blood. That was until Damon had asked him to drink human blood with him and feed on Marianna Lockwood, an distant ancestor of Tyler Lockwood. During his feed, Stefan was so overcome with severe bloodlust, that he fed to much and her head fell off. Afterwards, Stefan was shocked, appalled and disgusted with what he had just done, felt extreme guilt and remorse and tried to put her head back on. After that experience, Stefan had relapsed into his Ripper phase again and became the well-known "Ripper of Monterrey".
- Stefan's last name in the show was originally going to be "Whitmore" because it sounded American. Although, it was kept as "Salvatore" instead, which is Stefan's surname in the novels and Italian for "Savior".
- In the novels, Stefan is born in during the Renaissance period in the fifteenth century in Florence, Italy. On the show, Stefan is born in the nineteenth century period during the Civil War era in Mystic Falls, Virginia. He is roughly 350 years younger than his novels counterpart.
- Stefan's ethnic background on the show is half-French (from his mother) and half-Italian (from his father). However, in the novels, Stefan is of full Italian descent.
- Stefan in the novels speaks fluent Italian but is also fluent in English. He is able to learn new languages at an increased speed and adjust to the American customs rather quickly, so much so that his Italian accent becomes less strong.
- In the novels, Stefan is born in Italy and is foreign with an Italian accent at the beginning of the series. On the show, Stefan is born in America and is therefore, Italian-American and has no Italian accent.
- In the novels, Stefan is an aristocrat and comes from a wealthy, noble family.
- In the novels, Stefan is Catholic and has a strong sense of faith, morals and values. On the show, Stefan is shown to be particularly non-religious.
- In the novels, Stefan's best friend is Matt Honeycutt, who is the novel counterpart of Matt Donovan. In the show Stefan's long time best friends is Lexi Branson and after she dies, his new best friend is Caroline Forbes.
- In the novels, Stefan and Damon have never had a close relationship since their childhood. However, on the show, Stefan and Damon were best friends since their human lives and became rivals later on.
- In the books, Stefan's mother died a few years after Stefan was born, but on the show, Stefan's mother died when he was about 9 or 10.
- In the novels, when Stefan was a child, his mother always used to sing him a French lullaby.
- Stefan played the position of wide receiver on the high school football team, both on the show and in the novels.
- In the novels, Stefan dates Caroline but then eventually dislikes her. On the show, Stefan and Caroline are best friends. She has promised to stop him going over the rails and supports his relationship with Elena. She can be considered his "new Lexi".
- In the novels, as humans, Stefan and Damon fight to the death with a sword. But on the show, their father Giuseppe is the one who kills them by a gunshot wound.
- In terms of his characterization, Stefan is often compared to other mysterious, brooding vampires such as, Edward Cullen from Twilight, Angel (Angelus) from Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Louis de Pointe du Lac from Interview With The Vampire.
- Stefan has jet black, wavy hair and emerald green eyes in the book series.
- He, Damon, Katherine and Caroline were all bitten by a Werewolf or a Hybrid and were all cured by Klaus' blood.
- It has never been revealed or shown if he ever turned someone into a vampire before the series.
- Stefan is the only character amongst the main trio that has never killed Alaric.
- Stefan, along with Damon and Elena, are the only main characters who have appeared in all episodes thus far.
- It's possible that Silas and Stefan are connected as Silas has been starving for two thousand years which could be why Stefan is crazy for blood.
- Even though she chose Damon in Season 4, Stefan is still in love with Elena.
- ↑ Stefan told Elena he's been alive 163 years, The Walking Dead
- ↑ Damon and Elena found the safe with a dead body inside it so it's assumed he escaped and is hungry, True Lies
- ↑ '162 Candles'
- ↑ 'Under Control'
- ↑ 'Monster's Ball'
- ↑ 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'
- ↑ 'Blood Brothers'
- ↑ 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'
- ↑ 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'
- ↑ 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'
- ↑ 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'
- ↑ 'Handle with Care'