- Season 6
- Matt will get a love interest in the sixth season. 
- We're going to try something in Season 6 that we've been percolating on that I think will really help Matt's storyline,"
- Julie Plec confirms there will be new characters.
- "[The finale] definitely establishes new parameters in the environment we'll be shooting in Season 6," Paul Wesley tells us. "They reset things in a way, and the writers have the ability to now change the circumstances and locations of where the show takes place." 
- Dries revealed that the writers are already plotting season six "Season six will be a lot of bringing people back together," she teased, "and picking up the pieces."
- Caroline has her eye on someone new in the romance department. "She's got a little relationship/crush/feelings for someone that will creep up to the surface and that is going to cause potential rifts between her and and one of her friends," Dries teased, prompting Caroline to push that aside. "It's a little under the surface, and moving into season six, we're going to see her actually set her sights on someone and make the move."
- Any chance for another crossover with The Originals before the end of the season? I don’t think we have anything in the works right now. There’s something special we’re trying to do, but I don’t know if it’s going to pan out, so I won’t spoil it.
- Marcel could visit Mystic Falls. 
- But there is one thing fans shouldn't expect to see: Crossovers with "The Originals."Not this season," Dries says. "It is exhausting trying to schedule those guys. It's so weird to me, now watching 'The Originals,' they're so deep into it. Doesn't it feel like it's a completely different tone than our show? I know people want Caroline to go over there, but I'm trying to picture her being in New Orleans, and it just doesn't feel like a good fit. So the rest of this season, no more crossovers."
- Caroline Dries on if we'll ever see Katherine again: "Never say never on our show".
- Plec says about the fates of Damon and Bonnie-I think it means there’s a mystery attached to how the show ended. Did they die? Did they find peace? Are they still on the Other Side? Does the Other Side still exist? If not, where the hell are they? And will they ever come back? Certainly, we will see Ian [Somerhalder] and Kat [Graham] again, but where and in what context? That’s part of the mystery of Season 6. 
- Are you plotting for season 6 to be the final season, or is that not on your radar yet? No. It’s not on our radar yet. You could ask 10 different people that question and you’d get 10 different answers, in terms of how long the life of the show is. Warner Bros. would say, “17 seasons!” And I think I would say, “Seven!” [Laughs] Presumably we’ll land somewhere closer to my wishes or theirs, depending on the circumstances.
- "We're trying to take the show away from the massive genre extravaganza where each season we try to top each other with the bigger, bad, more exciting mythologies and boil it back down to the beginning, which is tension, suspense, romance, psychological horror, simple horror, vampires living in secret, people discovering their secret and coming after them," Plec promises. "Our heroes who have splintered off need to find their way back to each other emotionally and geographically as they fight to restore order to their home so they can actually return and not be scattered for good." 
- There will be a time jump, many months later.
- Where have they set up shop temporarily since Mystic Falls is a no-fly zone at the moment?Where are they living? What are they doing? How are they acting? And how are they going to find a solution to this circumstance that the Travelers created for them. It seems fairly permanent. With the time jump, they've had to come to terms that it is permanent. Who's going to fix that problem and how?
- Can you go home again? The anti-magic boundary will continue to play a role moving forward as we begin to explore this notion of what it means to go home again… we’ll see the effects exile has had on everyone and see that everyone is handling it differently and personal journeys will form. Some will be fighting for a way to save their home, others have given up or moved on or found peace with it.
- A new rivalry? We are very excited about Alaric’s return and plan to incorporate him in Elena’s life, hoping to give a type of parental touchstone to her... Enzo, as we left him, is still a bit of a loose canon wild thing and I can’t wait until the two butt heads.
- A different Caroline? The feelings behind [her] feelings [for Stefan] are something we get to explore in season 6 as we watch how her relationship with Stefan plays out. Any time we turn a character dark it’s fun because it’s a change of pace for the writers, actors and viewers.
- Dries also teased a “very fresh place” for both Matt and Tyler, while confirming that, yes, we’ll be seeing Bonnie and Damon again on Season 6.
- Question: Anything about The Vampire Diaries Season 6? —Valentina
Ausiello: Devastated over the (apparent) loss of his brother, look for Stefan to turn to a surprising source for comfort.
- The Vampire Diaries - Season 6 - Extras Casting Call VAMPIRE DIARIES (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY) is looking for extras to work Friday, July 18th in Decatur, GA. No call time yet, but expect early morning to late afternoon. Please be prepared to work a minimum of 10-12hrs. MUST HAVE FULL AVAILABILITY FOR FRIDAY. [FOOTBALL PLAYERS] males with REAL PLAY EXPERIENCE (please note your position), all ethnicities, 18-32 [STUDENTS] male and female, all ethnicities, 18-32 [ALUMNI/FACULTY] male and female, all ethnicities, 30-55[COACHES] male and female, all ethnicities, 30-55
- How does Caroline handle everything?
Plec: Caroline is probably someone who will surprise you. She's taken this loss -- in a weird way almost the hardest -- so she's going to have to bounce back in her Caroline way. Who she bounces back with and how she does it and how she's living her life is revealed in the first episode. Her journey is where are all her friends and if only she could figure out a way to bring them all back together, get the magic back to Mystic Falls, find a way to bring Damon and Bonnie home than life would be perfect. But it's harder than she thought.
- How long will it be before we find out where Damon and Bonnie have been and presumably when they'll be back?
Julie Plec: The answer of what happened is part of the season-long mythology, but the mystery of where they are is going to be asked very quickly and answered soon enough to not be frustrating.
- What coping mechanisms will Elena from The Vampire Diaries be using to deal with the fact she lost Damon (seemingly) forever? –Ana It sounds like she’ll be burying her nose in the books, of the medical stripe. As indicated by a flurry of recent castings – and likely a pure coincidence now that TVD has Grey’s Anatomy as a time slot rival — “When we come back, we’ll see that Elena is actively pursuing a degree in pre-med,” show boss Julie Plec told us. “She’s a smart girl, and Elena’s father was a doctor, so she’s trying to figure out how to help people and save people, just as her family did.” And merely as an added bonus, “We’ll meet some hot young pre-med guys and sexy doctors” as she does so.