|“||That's not fair. You can't harness the power of a hundred dead witches. It'll kill you.||”|
Spirit Magic was a form of witchcraft that called upon the aid of the The Spirits. It was commonly used amongst the witches in the series as it was considered a major source of power. Since witches are the servants of nature, and their purpose is to maintain the balance, they used the power that the spirits provide by calling out for them. Since the destruction of The Other Side and the spirits' forced departure from the now-destroyed dimension, this form of magic is no longer practiced however, witches with psychic abilities appear to still be able to tap on to spirits from the Afterlife.
In Know Thy Enemy, Bonnie called upon the power of the hundred dead witches at the Witch Burial Ground to grant her the power to defeat Klaus. The power given to her was enough to cast numerous high level spells, as well as to challenge Klaus himself.
In All My Children, Esther called on the spirits of the entire Bennett bloodline, both living and dead, to grant her the power to reverse the spell she cast on her children to turn them into vampires.
In Because the Night, Aja and her coven used spirit magic in an attempt to exorcise Bonnie's Expression magic from her body and spirit. Their efforts were cut short when Caroline killed Aja, who was about to kill Bonnie, and who had been channeling the power of all of the witches in her coven. When Caroline killed Aja, it killed all twelve of the witches and subsequently halted their spell.
In I Was Feeling Epic, the Bennett coven of witches used spirit magic to aid Bonnie Bennett. They were able to successfully contain the hellfire meant to destroy Mystic Falls. Lucy Bennett and Sheila Bennett were among the coven witches.
Spells and RitualsEdit
- Main article: Spells and Rituals
- Spirit Harnessing Spell: This spell is used to charge a witch with a immense amount of power & focus it into one or more witches by invoking the Spirits. The spell is cast at a site where many witches have met violent deaths. Provided their willingness to grant such power, said witch has to focus on her intention and agree to their terms.
- Requirements: Site where a number of witches have met with violent deaths.
- Used by: Bonnie Bennett used this spell in order to harness the power of 100 dead witches at the Witch Burial Ground.
- Incantation Of The Storm: An extremely powerful spell that channels nature and the power of 100 witches capable of killing an Original Vampire. When enacted, the spell summons a storm and inferno in addition to inflicting pain onto the target. Because this spell requires a massive amount of power, a witch could risk killing themselves in the process if they aren't too careful.
- Incantation: Phesmatos Infero Eseri Gratas, Disasustos Vom, Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! Victamas Veras! Phasmatos Tribum, Niha Sue Exilum, Disasustos Vom, Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! Levam, Mina Sue Te, Disasustos Vom, Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te! Phasmatos Veras! Fes Matos Tribum, Mas Pro Tes Unum! Victas Ex Melam, Phasmatos Vanem! Mas Pro Je Ta Sue Te!
- Requirements: Power of 100 dead witches
- Used by: Bonnie Bennett, charged with the power of 100 dead witches, used this spell in an attempt to kill Klaus while he was weakened from breaking the Hybrid Curse.
- Bonnie's Protection Spell: A powerful spell that allows a witch, harnessing the power of 100 witches, to prevent her from permanently dying. Casting said spell allows her to resurrect should she meet certain doom. However, it appears to be a one time deal and have to be cast again should she wish to continue avoiding death.
- Incantation: Unknown
- Ingredients/Requirements: Power from 100 witches
- Used by: Bonnie Bennett, who had harnessed the power of 100 witches, used this spell before her fight with Klaus when he was possessing Alaric. She ultimately died from overexerting her power only to revive a short while afterwards in a circle of candles.
- Bonnie's Resurrection Spell: A powerful spell that allows a witch to raise a person from the dead. However, the person who is brought back from death will be cursed with the ability to see ghosts on the Other Side as a consequence.
- Incantation: Victas Phesmatis Ex Eleto. Revertas Phesmatis Ut Victas. Victas Phesmatis Ex Eleto. Revertas Phesmatis Ut Victas.
- Requirements: Power of 100 dead witches
- Used by: Jonas Martin first used this spell on Lukas unsuccessfully when he burned to death due to having insufficient power. Bonnie Bennett used this spell to resurrect Jeremy Gilbert after he had been shot by Liz Forbes. Initially the Spirits denied Bonnie the power for spell, her ancestor, Emily Bennett, eventually gave her the power and Jeremy was revived.
- Original Reversal Ritual: The spell allows the witch who cast the spell which made the first Vampires to reverse their immortality, thereby turning them back into humans again.
- Incantation: Unknown
- Requirements: A ring of salt with a pentagram drawn inside, 5 Lighted Torches, Full moon, Power of an entire witch bloodline
- Used by: Esther Mikealson, drawing from the power of the entire Bennett Bloodline (living and dead), used this spell in an attempt to reverse the Original Vampirism spell on her children to kill them while they were mortal and linked as one. The ritual used a pentagram to represent her connection to magic, salt as a symbol of the Earth and 5 torches for each Original children.
- Expression-Cleansing Spell: A spell used by a coven of at least 12 witches that invokes the spirits of nature in order to cleanse a witch of Expression. Said witch needs to be a willing party as part of the ritual involves her calling out to the spirits (with the incantation) as well. However, doing so causes a lot of pain as the practice of Expression rejects the spirits.
- Incantation: Phasmatos Tribum Nas Ex Viras, Purgal Animum Sous Obscarus. Phasmatos Repallus Tantian, Maltuscanum Anium Par Vas.
- Requirements: Coven (min. 12) of witches linked as one, Pentagram drawn on the ground, Torches for each point of the pentagram
- Used by: The spell was performed by Aja and her coven in an attempt to cleanse Bonnie Bennett of Expression Magic. She was laid in the center of a pentagram with eleven witches surrounding her, channeling their power to their leader, Aja, a witch who performed the cleansing inside the pentagram's center with Bonnie
- The Spirits †
- Ayana †
- Esther Mikaelson †
- Emily Bennett †
- Sheila Bennett †
- Bonnie Bennett (Formerly)
- Aja and her Coven †
*† indicates deceased
- Spirit Magic is usually tapped by accessing a place marked with power.
- Theoretically, if The Other Side were to be destroyed, it would mean the end of Spirit Magic for Witches. The Other Side allows The Spirits to keep existing as ghosts for witches to call upon, so if it were to be destroyed, the Spirits will no longer exist.
- Now that the Other Side has been destroyed, there are no longer any spirits to provide power for the witches thus making Spirit Magic extinct.
- This is the most powerful form of "light," or "good" magic shown so far.