|“||I don't think its Latin...||”|
Spell Casting is a power of Witches, Siphoners, Witch-Vampire Hybrids and Werewolf-Witch Hybrids to work magic through the recitation of incantations. This allows users to magically alter reality to a number of effects or evoke forces to change their surroundings.
It is an ability possessed by all witches and can be achieved through thought, gestures and rituals although generally spoken.
- "Concentrate. Forget about the vampires. Focus on tapping into your power, listen to the sound of your heart beating, the sound of your lungs filling with air"
- — Bonnie Bennett
Spells are capable of producing a wide variety of effects, both harmful and helpful. They can produce physical changes in a person or object. They can also have profound mental effects such as altering memory, manipulating emotions, or causing magical compulsion (such as forcing someone to speak truthfully).
Spells can manipulate other kinds of magic, such as binding (preventing the use of) a witch's powers, transferring powers between individuals, breaking magical barriers, or lifting curses. Some spells require more than one witch to make them work in order to increase the amount of magic and therefore potential power available for the spell.
The capabilities of spell casting are nearly limitless, though it depends on the type of magic being invoked and the proficiency of the witch.
All spells contain a spoken component, or incantation. An incantation is written and recited as verse. They vary widely in length.
Some spells consist of only an incantation, but others have additional components as well. A spell may require the use of certain tools, ingredients or the use of additional power such as a talisman or astronomical event.
Since most spells are spoken verbally and take time to take effect, witches are vulnerable to attack before their completion. Additionally, certain spells require items, tools, and/or special events during casting, therefore they can't be invoked on mere whim. Concentration is also an important factor for spell casting, and interruption may lead to the spell's failure or disastrous results.
Spells and Rituals
- For a complete list of Spells and Rituals from the TV shows visit the Spells and Rituals page.
- For the spells from the novels, visit Spells and Rituals (Novels).
- It is one of the two basic witch powers along with Channeling.
- Some spells can replicate the effects of magic powers such as Pyrokinesis, Telekinesis or Pain Infliction though they may also be the result of non-verbal spells or simply spells that help focus these powers.
- Spells and rituals are recorded in Grimoires by witches in order to gather information and improvement of their work.