|“||Scared of what? Your prophecy about the hybrid baby? Agnes and her freak-show minions had a real field day with that one.||”|
Sophie Deveraux is a witch and a main antagonist of The Originals . In the past, she was a light-hearted girl who enjoyed partying and didn't care much for witchcraft. However, 8 months before the start of the series, she watched her niece, Monique Deveraux, die in The Harvest, a sacrifical ritual that allows the witches in New Orleans to draw power from their ancestors. After that, she became more serious, obsessed with the goal of killing Davina so she can complete the ritual and bring her niece back from the dead. Sophie has made it clear that she will do whatever it takes to reach her goal, which makes her dangerous to have as an enemy.
Sophie is a member of the Deveraux Family.
Sophie has a strict upbringing and leaves to see the world when she's twenty-one. She eventually returns and begins a casual relationship with Marcel. She's told about the Harvest but harbours disbelief and confides in Marcel, unaware that he already has an agenda to prevent it. She watches her niece, Monique, be sacrificed and Davina taken away by Marcel. Sophie promises to help Jane-Ann get Davina to complete the ritual, believing that will bring Monique back. Marcel enforces a law disobeying magic. Sophie then becomes a chef at a restaurant, working alongside her sister. At some point she meets Hayley and discovered she's pregnant with Klaus's baby.
The Vampire Diaries
Season FourSophie observes her sister, Jane-Anne, interacting with Hayley at the restaurant they both work at in New Orleans. Later, Jane-Anne and Sophie travel to a cemetery where Jane-Anne intends to perform a spell. Sophie is reluctant to allow her sister to do the spell, as witches have been prohibited from using magic by Marcel, but Jane-Anne reassures her and they proceed. While Jane-Anne performs the spell in the cemetery that night, Sophie, and several others, capture Hayley. She keeps Hayley for several days until Klaus and Elijah arrive in New Orleans , whence Sophie reveals, first to Elijah and then to Klaus, that she possesses the supernatural gift for detecting when a girl is pregnant, and that Hayley bears Klaus' child. She also reveals her plan for a witches' revolt against Marcel and the vampires that control the city. Klaus refuses to do as she says, but Sophie insists that because Jane-Anne sacrificed herself rather than reveal their plan to Marcel, Hayley and the child's fates rest with the witches. Once Elijah gets Klaus to agree, she explains that the first step is Marcel accepting Klaus into his inner circle.
She also gives Elijah further instructions: Klaus must do all he can to undermine Marcel's rule but above all else, he must keep him alive. She refuses to tell Elijah why because she doesn't trust him yet. She then agrees to release Hayley to Elijah but promises him that, if Klaus double-crosses them, she would kill her. Elijah also makes her a promise: that if anything happens to Hayley or her unborn child, Elijah will make sure the witches pay.
Season OneIn Always and Forever, Sophie's with Jane-Anne's body when Marcel arrives to take it away. Sophie refuses to confide why The Originals are back in New Orleans. Whilst she's trying to pay her respects to Jane-Anne she's attacked by vampires but Elijah saves her. He asks what business Jane-Anne had with Klaus. Sophie takes him to Hayley, announcing that she's pregnant with Klaus's child. Sophie also says that she's linked to Hayley so anything that happens to one of them happens to the other. She tells Elijah to get Klaus to agree to their plan to overthrow Marcel. Elijah succeeds and manages to trade the cure for a werewolf's bite for Jane-Anne's body, bringing it back to Sophie.
In House of the Rising Son, Rebekah arrives in the Quarter looking for Elijah, announcing that he told her all about Sophie. Sophie tells Rebekah about their plans to overthrow Marcel. Rebekah asks Sophie to do a locater spell on Elijah but she refuses due to Marcel's law. Sophie then explains to Rebekah how Marcel rose to power. Rebekah shows Sophie the coffins Klaus has laid aside for his siblings; she also explains his past with Marcel and says that she has reunited father and son instead of achieving her goals.
In Tangled Up In Blue, Sophie makes Katie use her magic to protect Thierry from Marcel so that she can use her magic to find Davina. She's almost successful, but Rebekah stops her when Katie's killed.
In Sinners and Saints, Sophie is informed by Elijah that the original deal is void. She remembers her past with Marcel and her promise to Jane-Anne that she would find a way to bring Monique back. She cries over her sister's grave.
In Fruit of the Poisoned Tree, Agnes kidnaps her and use her link to Hayley as advange for the werewolf to miscarry her baby through a high temparence brough on by Dark Magic. While they're still linked together she tries to help Hayley and later they're unlinked by Davina.
In The Casket Girls,
Sophie is described as a sexy leader armed with a sharp tongue and confidence. She is a social force, planting the seeds of a revolution amongst her peers in the small French Quarter of New Orleans. Her sister Jane-Anne had great confidence in Sophie, stating that she was never wrong.
Sophie is a beautiful young woman in her mid 20's, she has a light complexion with dark brown eyes and hair to match, worn in several different styles; pulled up, curled or straight. In The Originals, she is shown to have lighter brown tips in her hair. She has a slim figure, and looks much like her elder sister. She has a visible tattoo; on her right shoulder, although it is unknown the significance or when she got the tattoo. Sophie seems to wear more make-up compared to the other females; she particularly wears black eye-makeup to match her dark eyes and eyebrows. She often wears jewelry such as a necklaces, long pendants and a number of bracelets, large earrings and is usually seen wearing tank tops of different color and style, occasionally seen with cardigans or jackets accompanied by jeans and boots.
- Klaus and Sophie (Former Allies/Enemies)
- Elijah and Sophie (Former Allies/Enemies)
- Jane-Anne and Sophie (Sisters/Allies)
- Rebekah and Sophie (Former Allies/Enemies)
- Marcel and Sophie (Enemies/Former Lovers)
Powers and Abilities
- Channeling - The act of channeling or drawing other forms of energy and power by focusing on celestial events.
- Conjuration - The act of calling, commanding, or summoning an element, object, person, or spirit already in existence.
- Elemental Control - The act of controlling and manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, water, and weather.
- Mind Control - The act of controlling and manipulating the minds of humans. (Similar to Compulsion)
- Mind Stunning - The act of bemusing and rendering someone unconscious.
- Pain Infliction - The act of creating and inflicting excruciating pain upon another person, especially vampires.
- Precognition - The act of foreseeing future events and happenings.
- Spell Casting - The act of changing and controlling events by magical influence.
- Telekinesis - The act of controlling and manipulating the movements of objects and persons.
- Witches Brew - The act of brewing and concocting supernatural elixirs and potions that contain mystical properties.
- Pregnancy Perception - Sophie stated that she had a special gift for knowing when a woman is pregnant. This is backed up by her sister, and correctly stating that Hayley was pregnant with Klaus' child.
Weaknesses and Vulnerabilities
- Fear - A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the condition or feeling of being afraid could cause a witch to temporarily lose their powers.
- Overuse Of Magic - The excessive use of magic could lead a witch to death from over-exertion.
- Candles: Witches use candles to draw energy from the flames and also enhance their spells.
- Grimoire : Witches document their spells, rituals and recipes in books called Grimoire.
- Stones & Herbs: Witches use stones and herbs to aid them as they have a magical entity.
- Talismans: Witches use material items that can act as a talisman. It is said to be one of the most powerful tools used by a witch.
- Salt: Salt is used by many witches to bind a spell together, or other spells. Salt is a common binding agent.
- Sophie is the French variant of the name Sophia, which is derived from the Greek word sophia (σοφία) and means "wisdom".
- Other spellings of the name Sophie include Sophey, Sophi, Sophy, Sofia, Sophia, Sofeea, Sofeeia, Soffi, Sofi, Soficita, Sofie, Sofija, Sofiya, Sofya, Sofiyah, Sofyah, Zofie, Zofia, Zofiah, Zsofia, Zsofiah, Zsofyah, Zsofie.
TVD Season 4
TO Season 1
- When we meet Sophie, she's mired in grief after a devastating loss, but her sadness is overpowered by her anger. Under the rule of a maniacal vampire, New Orleans' witches aren't allowed to practice true magic. but Sophie isn't interested in being helpless anymore. We can expect to see her form a tentative alliance with Elijah, who is focused on keeping his brother, Klaus, in line. 
- She has a special gift of telling when a woman is pregnant. She told Klaus this when explaining how she knew Hayley bore his child.
- According to Marcel , Sophie's Gumbo is famous.
- Sophie originally wanted nothing to do with New Orleans Coven. The death of her niece convinced her to take a more active role in the affairs of the witches.
- At age 21, she traveled the world.
- Sophie had a very strict upbringing.