|“||I was just a witch, rejected from her coven for being an abomination of nature because I had no power of my own. The only magic I had was contained in an amulet, to be siphoned in times of need.||”|
Siphoners, or Siphons, are a subsection of witches born without the ability to generate magic, but a rare power allowing them to siphon off from other magical sources. They are considered abominations by many witch communities despite being born with their abilities and may face harsh treatments towards their covens when discovered.
They appear to be rare and few in numbers although they are rather controversial due to the discovery in which they have the potential to become vampire-witch hybrids.
|This article needs your help!|
Not much is known about siphoners or the cause of their existence. However, their conception and birth appear to be the same as that of ordinary witches. In the case of twins, it is not necessary that both siblings will become siphoners as shown with Jo and Kai.
In This Woman's Work, we see the birth of siphoners for the first time, Lizzie and Josie Saltzman. It was shown that siphoners start siphoning magic even before birth. Taking little by little from their mother when a source is available. During the final stages of birth, a surge if siphoning may be observed which may put said mother in danger.
In the mid 1800's a group of siphoners were exiled from the Gemini Coven. These six individuals, calling themselves Heretics, were befriended by Lillian Salvatore in the late 1800s and she turned them into vampires. As vampires, they discovered that they could siphon the magic holding them alive, becoming vampire-witch hybrids. Whilst on the way to destroy the Gemini Coven, they were imprisoned in a prison world by them.
In the late 20th century, the Gemini was plagued by another siphoner: Malachai Parker, the son of Coven leader Joshua Parker and, as a twin himself, a possible future leader of the coven. To prevent Kai from becoming leader, Joshua and his wife had several other children, including twins Olivia and Lucas Parker. Determined to become leader and gain permanent magic, Kai killed several of his siblings in his attempt to kill Olivia and Lucas but he was imprisoned in a prison world by the Gemini.
In 2013, Alaric Saltzman and Josette Laughlin conceived two siphoner twins who were later magically transferred into Caroline Forbes' womb by the Gemini Coven to save the twins' lives after Jo's twin, Malachai Parker, stabbed her multiple times in her abdomen.
Powers and Abilities
- Siphoning: Their main natural ability, siphoners have the rare ability to absorb magic in all forms, from another source. By extension, they are able to detect the magic within other beings as well as unravel the most sophisticated of spells.
- Spell Casting: Siphoners, after having absorbed magic, have the ability to cast spells like any witch. Changing and controlling events through the use of incantations and more.
- Potion Brewing: The power to brew and concoct potions, remedies and elixirs that have supernatural properties.
- Distraction: Denying a witch from concentrating or giving full attention to their spells, may render them ineffective.
- Herbs: Ingestion of certain herbs can cause a witch to lose consciousness and prevent them from using magic for an undetermined amount of time. The Lobelia flower prevents concentration and the practice of magic and can be used to weaken a witch as one would weaken a vampire with vervain.
- Huntress' Blood: A supernatural huntress' blood can suppress all magic of a witch when consumed, as well as prevent magic from working on said witch, as seen when the Armory could not perform a locator spell on Bonnie Bennett. Prolonged ingestion is toxic, and ultimately leads to the death of the witch. Once black scabs start appearing on their body, the infected witches have less than a week of life, similar to how Vampires react to Werewolf Toxin. There is no known cure to combat this disease.
- Mortality: Siphoners, like any witch, are still human, they share many of the same weaknesses as non-supernatural beings (e.g. age, decapitation, disease, heart-failure, suffocation, etc.).
- Magic: Siphoners are just as susceptible to the forces of witchcraft. This is inclusive of mystical objects such as Papa Tunde's Blade, and Dark Objects. It is currently unknown if Siphoners can siphon magic from one another but this is very likely.
- Physical Contact: Siphoners need physical contact with their source in order to siphon from them. This can be overcome through the use of magic containing amulets that can be worn with them to be siphoned in defense.
|Josie Saltzman||Josie and her sister are twin siphoners born from the union of Josette Laughlin and Alaric Saltzman. They are currently under the care of Caroline Forbes.||Alive|
Valerie Tulle was a young Siphoner who was kicked out by the Gemini Coven. After joining the Heretics, she drowned herself with Lillian Salvatore's blood still in her system. Unknowingly becoming the first known vampire-witch hybrid.
Malachai was the firstborn son of Joshua Parker, twin brother of Josette Parker. He was born a siphoner before merging with his brother and finally turning into a witch-vampire hybrid from Lily's blood.
- Although unconfirmed, the existence of siphoners seems to be limited to witches born from the Gemini Coven.
- Siphoners are the only type of witches who have the potential to be turned into Vampire-Witch hybrids as they keep their ability to practice magic after being turned into vampires as a result of their Siphoning ability.
- As hybrids, they can draw upon their vampirism as an endless source of power.
- Siphoners are capable of healing vampires from werewolf bites by siphoning the magic of the werewolf venom from their bodies.
- This could serve as an advantage to any of Niklaus Mikaelson's enemies, considering that Klaus is no longer the only option for a cure for a werewolf bite.
- Siphoners are able to become full-fledged witches by competing and winning in the merging ritual. If successfully performed, said siphoner will gain the power of a typical witch whilst retaining their ability to siphon.
- Siphoners are somehow born with rare genetic mutation that can pass through generations and this mutation gave them their ability to absorb magic from a witch or from any magical item or object.
- Siphoners, Doppelgängers, Immortals and Supernatural Hunters are among the rarest species shown in the series.
- Josie and Lizzie are the first known pair of twins to both be siphoners.
- It is unknown how previous mothers survive the birth of a siphoner seeing as it nearly killed Caroline.
- It can be assumed that the spell creating a focal point of magic was used similar to Caroline's case
- It is also possible that it was because Caroline was carrying two siphoners and the birth of a single siphoner would not normally overwhelm a mother.