- Elijah: [voiceover] My siblings and I are the first vampires in history, the Originals. Three hundred years ago, we helped to build the city of New Orleans. We were happy here, a family. Recently, a coven of witches lured my brother back, using his unborn child as leverage. I tried to help him, but he betrayed me to his enemy, the vampire, Marcel. Since then, I've been held prisoner by a powerful witch. My brother seeks to manipulate others to procure my release, but I have my own plan. If this witch proves to be an enemy, I will stop her. By whatever means necessary.
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
[Elijah is standing in Davina's room in the attic, where he is standing in front of Davina as the two stare at each other. His skin is gray and mottled still from not feeding during the months he was daggered, and he can't help but focus on Davina's pulsing carotid artery as a result of his hunger. Davina seems unfazed]
- DAVINA: You're the one they call honorable.
- Elijah: [smiles] Yes, that's what they call me. And yet, I followed my brother here to New Orleans to engage in a war. So, I ask you-- does that sound honorable to you?
- DAVINA: [concerned] You don't look well.
- Elijah: Well, only this morning, I had a mystical dagger embedded in my chest, so I'd say I'm holding myself together quite well. [He pauses for a beat] Davina, I believe that you and I have the power to end a war between witches and vampires before it truly begins. I, by keeping my brother in line; you, by behaving like your true self-- not some tool for Marcel or the witches.
- DAVINA: And why should I trust you?
- Elijah: Well, for one thing, in spite of a ravenous hunger, I have not tried to take your blood.
- DAVINA: [shrugs] Why not? I'm the only one here.
- Elijah: Even in my present condition, I would not feed from a child.
[Davina takes a hat pin and pricks her finger with it. A drop of blood clings to the tip of it, and she places the drop on Elijah's lip. He licks the drop of blood off of his lower lip, and after a moment, Elijah's skin returns to it's normal complexion. Davina looks pleased and smiles at him]
[TITLE CARD & OPENING CREDITS]
[Klaus is pacing in the back kitchen of Rousseau's, which is empty of employees. When Sophie finally comes into the room with a basket of produce, Klaus grabs her and vamp-speeds them back to the plantation house for a meeting. He brings her to the living room, where Rebekah is waiting for them, and deposits Sophie onto the couch]
- Klaus: [angry] We had a deal! You protect my unborn child, I dismantle Marcel's army. And whilst I've been busy fulfilling my part of the bargain, you allowed Hayley to be attacked and almost killed by a gaggle of lunatic witches.
- SOPHIE: [frantic] I had nothing to do with it, I swear. Hayley and I are linked, remember? She dies, I die.
- REBEKAH: [confused] Then who were they?
- SOPHIE: [sighs] They are a faction of extremists. Sabine stupidly told them about some vision she had about the baby.
- Klaus: [suspicious] What kind of vision?
- SOPHIE: She has them all the time. They are totally open to interpretation. I'm guessing she's wrong on this one.
- Klaus: Well, how, may I ask, was this particular vision interpreted?
- SOPHIE: ...Pretty much that your baby would bring death to all witches.
- Klaus: Ah, well. I grow fonder of this child by the second.
- REBEKAH: Sophie, look-- I promised Elijah that I would protect the Mikaelson miracle-baby whilst he tries to win your witch Davina's loyalty. Why don't you tell me just how extreme this faction is?
- SOPHIE: [shocked] Elijah's talking to Davina?
- REBEKAH: Yeah. As we speak, I imagine.
- SOPHIE: I'm guessing she'll have plenty to say about that crowd.
- Klaus: [intrigued] Do tell.
- SOPHIE: I... wasn't always an advocate for the witches.
FLASHBACK-– NEW ORLEANS, EIGHT MONTHS AGO
[At Rousseau's, Sophie dances to music behind the bar as the crowd cheers]
- SOPHIE: Woo, drink up everybody! This is how they party in Rio!
[Sophie pours liquor straight into her mouth from the bottle]
- SOPHIE: [present-day] My sister was devoted, like our parents, and our upbringing was very strict, which drove me nuts. The minute I turned twenty-one, I left the Quarter to travel... and play. [In flashback, Sophie pours alcohol straight from the bottle into a girl's mouth and kisses her after she swallows it] But, I wanted to be a chef, so I came back to Rousseau's.
[In flashback, Jane-Anne enters Rousseau's to find her sister]
- SOPHIE: Oh, Jane-Anne!
[Jane-Anne smiles and the girls hug affectionately]
- JANE-ANNE: Welcome home, Soph. Can we go some place to talk?
- SOPHIE: [slightly concerned] Just tell me.
- JANE-ANNE: The elders called a vote. We're moving forward with the Harvest.
- SOPHIE: [stunned] What?
- REBEKAH: [confused] What the bloody hell is a Harvest?
- SOPHIE: It's a ritual our coven does every three centuries so that the bond to our ancestral magic is restored. We appease our ancestors, they keep our ancestral power flowing.
- Klaus: And why haven't I heard of this?
- SOPHIE: Because a Harvest always seemed like a myth. A story, passed on through generations like Noah's ark, or the Buddha walking on water. The kind some people take literally, and some people don't.
FLASHBACK – THE HARVEST RITUAL REHEARSAL, EIGHT MONTHS AGO
[Close to a dozen young witches are standing and kneeling in a row outside a farmhouse. An older witch, Bastianna, holds a knife as she paces in front of the girls. She stops in front of the first girl, Monique, and makes a small cut on the palm of her hand]
- BASTIANNA: To be reborn, we must sacrifice.
- MONIQUE: [repeats nervously] To be reborn, we must sacrifice.
- BASTIANNA: [cuts the palm of the next girl, Cassie] To be reborn, we must have faith.
- CASSIE: To be reborn, we must have faith.
- BASTIANNA: [cuts the hand of the third girl, Abigail] Do you have faith in the Harvest?
[Sophie shows up and stomps toward the witches]
- SOPHIE: Not for a second!
- MONIQUE: [surprised] Sophie!
- SOPHIE: [looks at Bastianna] What are you doing?
- BASTIANNA: Saving the community you renounced.
- SOPHIE: You're all ridiculous. Monique, seriously?
- MONIQUE: [reluctantly] My mom told me I had to.
- SOPHIE: Yeah. Well, your mom and I are gonna have words.
[Davina is the last girl in the row, and she watches in worry as Sophie storms away]
- SOPHIE: They had the girls of our community preparing for months. Four would be chosen for the Harvest. They said that it was an honor, that they were special. I thought it was a myth.
- REBEKAH: Was it?
[Sophie looks guilty, but before she can say anything, Klaus's cell phone rings. He sees that it's Marcel and answers it]
- Klaus: Marcel. Bit early in the day for you, isn't it?
- MARCEL: I know, I make this look easy, but I still have an empire to run.
- Klaus: [smiles fakely] Rather you than me. All that responsibility seems like such a bore.
- MARCEL: Well, this might spice things up-- I just heard about a bunch of dead witches out in the Bayou. The kinda damage a werewolf might do, only there was no full moon. I have an informant out there I need to meet, and I would love for you to go with me.
- Klaus: Dead witches in the Bayou. Sounds like less of a problem, and more like a cause for celebration.
- MARCEL: Well, something killed them. And may still be out there. And with your blood the only cure for a werewolf bite, I would love for you to accompany me.
- Klaus: Oh, why not? Haven't been to the Bayou in ages. I'm on my way.
- MARCEL: Peace out, brother.
[Marcel hangs up. He is holding a photo of the plantation house where the Mikaelsons and Hayley are now living. A woman who is standing next to him holds a stack of other photos in her hands as he turns to her]
- MARCEL: This is the one.
[Sophie, having heard Klaus' end of the conversation, looks at him in concern]
- SOPHIE: You can't go out there now. I need to gather the witches' remains and consecrate them. If I don't get to them before sundown, we'll lose the link to their magic.
- Klaus: Those witches tried to kill Hayley. I'd prefer for Marcel's informant not to find anything that would lead him back to us, to her, or to... you know... [He points at Hayley's stomach] That.
- HAYLEY: [rolls her eyes] You are all class.
- Klaus: [points at Sophie] Stay put. And save the rest of your story 'til I return.
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
[Father Kieran is sweeping the church when Marcel walks in and approaches him on his way up the stairs to Davina's room]
- KIERAN: Look who's back. Here to visit your prisoner in the attic?
- MARCEL: Lay off. She's not a prisoner, and I'm moving her tonight. Too many people know where she is.
- KIERAAN: I have been hearing about what you've been up to since I've been out of town. Using that girl to keep the witches from doing magic?
- MARCEL: All respect, Father K. If you're going defend the witches' rights, we got nothin' to talk about.
[Upstairs in her room, Davina is drawing while Elijah walks around and takes in his surroundings. He picks up Tim's broken violin from a table and examines it]
- Elijah: Do you play?
- DAVINA: [sad] That's... not mine.
[Elijah sits in a chair and tinkers with the violin for a moment, until Marcel's footsteps can be heard from outside the room. When he enters, Elijah has hidden himself away]
- MARCEL: Good news, Little D. I'm moving you out this pile of dust.
- DAVINA: [happy] Are you serious? When?
- MARCEL: Tonight. I just need to lock in the arrangements. How's our Original?
[He gestures toward Elijah's coffin, but Davina anxiously stops him before he can open it]
- DAVINA: Uh, don't disturb the body! I have a spell in progress.
- MARCEL: [shrugs] Bet you do. Pack up, 'kay? Only what you wanna take. I'll buy ya anything else you need.
- DAVINA: [feigns excitement] Okay.
[Marcel leaves the attic. Elijah appears from behind a corner]
- Elijah: [surprised] You didn't reveal that I was awake.
- DAVINA: [smiles shyly] We're not done talking yet!
[Elijah picks up the violin again and sits down before returning to fixing it]
- Elijah: You and Marcel seem very close.
- DAVINA: Marcel's my family.
- Elijah: And yet Marcel is someone who delights in harming the witches. Those people, I would think, you would consider family. This doesn't trouble you?
- DAVINA: No. They deserve it.
- Elijah: [confused] Why would you say that?
- DAVINA: 'Cause they're liars. All of them.
FLASHBACK-- THE HARVEST RITUAL REHEARSAL, EIGHT MONTHS AGO
[The girls are still kneeling in a row outside the farmhouse, where Bastianna touches four of the girls' foreheads with ash to indicate who has been chosen for the ritual. Monique, Davina, and two other girls, Abigail and Cassie, are chosen for the Harvest]
- DAVINA: [voiceover] They made me and my friends do this Harvest ritual. They said our participation would bring our family strength, health... that we'd forever be celebrated as saviors of the community. But all they really wanted was more power. So, I left before they could get it. Now, they're running out of time, because after the Harvest, comes the Reaping. And if they don't complete the Harvest, there won't be a Reaping. Soon, all the witches in the Quarter will start to lose their power. Eventually, they will cease to be witches altogether.
- Elijah: So what does it take to complete this ritual?
- DAVINA: [sighs] I have to die.
[Elijah is shocked by this revelation]
'[Sophie is in the cemetery, packing various bottles of magical ingredients into her backpack, when Hayley enters the mausoleum]
- SOPHIE: Hey. What the hell?
- HAYLEY: You're going out there anyway, aren't you? I wanna go with you.
- SOPHIE: No, thanks. Already got assaulted by Klaus this morning. Don't need a repeat.
- HAYLEY: What if whatever is responsible for all those dead witches is still out there? We've already established that it likes me and hates witches, so you'll be safer with me.
- SOPHIE: Sorry if I'm not buying your sudden concern for my safety.
[Hayley blocks the exit, forcing Sophie to stop and listen to her]
- HAYLEY: Listen. The whole reason I came to this stupid town in the first place was to learn more about my family. Your sister's the one that told me Marcel ran the werewolves out of the Quarter into the Bayou. And last night, I'm pretty sure that some guardian-angel-wolf saved my life. So, I'm coming with you.
[Rebekah walks in to the mausoleum and joins the girls]
- REBEKAH: [rolls her eyes] Could you two be more idiotic?
[Hayley and Sophie both look at each other and sigh in frustration]
- REBEKAH: Two can play the follow-game, you know! You heard Klaus, he and Marcel are headed right where you're going.
- HAYLEY: So distract them. Because unless you wanna lock a hormonal, pregnant werewolf in a tomb, I'm coming with you. And wouldn't Elijah be mad if he hears that the baby and I died of asphyxiation?
[Rebekah stares at her, clearly annoyed by her stubbornness. Sophie rolls her eyes and sighs again, resigned to having Hayley and Rebekah tag along]
BIG AUGGIE'S BAYOU BAR
[Klaus is standing in front of the bar, where he's calling Rebekah on his cell phone]
- Klaus: What's the matter Rebekah? You cross that I'm out with your ex?
- REBEKAH: [annoyed] What is all that dreadful hillbilly ruckus in the background?
- Klaus: According to the dreadful signage, it's Big Auggie's Bayou Bar.
- REBEKAH: Well, order up a few rounds of moonshine and steer clear of the dead witches for a few. The witch is on a burial mission, your baby mama is on a spirit quest, and I'm keeping Elijah's promise to keep her safe. So, stall, please?
[Rebekah hangs up the phone. Klaus, who is visibly angry that his orders were ignored, enters the building and joins Marcel at the bar]
- MARCEL: Everything okay?
- Klaus: Oh, just the usual. Temperamental sister. So, where's your informant?
- MARCEL: Tomas? He's out sniffin' around. Grab a drink, and then we'll chase him down.
- Klaus: Well, I suppose it will give us a chance to talk things over, like why you haven't returned Elijah. Maybe your young witch has grown partial to his company? She must get so bored.
- MARCEL: [exasperated] You never stop, do you?
- Klaus: You never answer, do you?
- MARCEL: Why're you so curious about Davina?
- Klaus: If I had a 16-year-old all-powerful witch at my beck and call, you would wonder about her, too.
- MARCEL: [smiles fakely] You're never gonna get her.
- Klaus: Okay, okay. I'll ask the harmless questions, then. How did you meet her?
- MARCEL: [laughs] That might surprise you. This was eight months ago, before I banned the witches from using magic. Relations between vampires and witches weren't what you'd you call friendly, by any means, but let's just say we were a little less... divided. In fact, some of us were getting along just fine.
FLASHBACK-- NEW ORLEANS, EIGHT MONTHS AGO
[Sophie Deveraux and Marcel are naked and making out and having sex with each other in the shower at the compound. Afterward, Marcel lies in his bed while Sophie dries herself off beside him]
- SOPHIE: Ugh, it's so screwed up. I'm dealing with whacked-out, militant witches.
- MARCEL: [smiles] Hey, you witches all got a little crazy in you.
- SOPHIE: And my sister has really gone off the deep-end this time.
- MARCEL: Jane-Anne's got martyr written all over her, that's for sure.
- SOPHIE: They've got every 16-year-old girl in our coven dying to be one of the four chosen for this crazy-ass ritual.
- MARCEL: Anything I can do to help?
- SOPHIE: [sighs and sits down next to him on the bed] No, you've caused enough trouble with them.
- MARCEL: What, little old me?
- SOPHIE: [giggles] You're a dick. You always stir it up with the witches. Which is why this-- [She kisses him briefly on the mouth]-- stays between us.
[She leans in and kisses him again, deeper this time]
- Klaus: [incredulous] You and Sophie? You hypocrite! You torture those witches, and yet there you were, getting positively Romeo and Juliet with Sophie Deveraux.
- MARCEL: Oh, hey hey hey, it wasn't like that. It was a... mutually satisfying hook-up.
- Klaus: So, if Sophie didn't turn to you, her secret vampire lover, in her hour of need, what did she do?
- MARCEL: She did what any good girl do. She went to her priest.
FLASHBACK-- ST. ANNE'S CHURCH, EIGHT MONTHS AGO [Sophie, Father Kieran, Jane-Anne, Bastiana and Agnes are having a meeting at the church. The witches, aside from Sophie, do not look pleased, and Kieran seems appalled by their decision to do the Harvest]
- BASTIANNA: [to Sophie] You've never cared about witch business, Sophie. And now, you have the gall to reveal our private dealings to an outsider?
- KIERAN: You have to find another way.
- BASTIANNA: You think we do this lightly? The vampire presence in the Quarter is growing stronger. We need more power to fight them off. Harsh times call for harsh measures.
- SOPHIE: [scoffs] This is a little more than harsh, Bastianna.
- JANE-ANNE: [to Sophie] You don't understand, because you don't believe. You've never believed. But I believe enough to put everything on the line for this. And being chosen for the offering-- it's an honor.
- SOPHIE: It's a myth, Jane-Anne.
- KIERAN: What you are planning to do is not only wrong; in my city, it's illegal.
- JANE-ANNE: In your city full of vampires?
- KIERAN: The vampires and the human faction have an arrangement, just like we have with you all. Protect the locals, protect our homes-- we look the other way. What you are planning goes too far.
- BASTIANNA: We are simply taking what we need. Our connection to our ancestors weakens over time. You sow, and you reap; that's the way the Harvest works.
- KIERAN: I am the only ally the witches have in this town! Do you really wanna face Marcel without me? Because that is what you'll be dealing with if you go through with the Harvest.
[Sean O'Connell, Cami's brother, hears the argument and comes out to investigate]
- SEAN: Everything okay in here, Uncle Kieran?
- KIERAN: We're just finishing, Sean. Right? [He glares at the witches] I believe I've made myself clear.
- AGNES: We'll take this matter to the elders. [She turns to Sean and grasps his hand in hers, as though she's shaking it in greeting] Continue your studies, Sean. Your uncle is an excellent role model.
[Agnes smiles fakely, and Sean nods in agreement. As Agnes turns to leave, she mutters a hex under her breath]
- AGNES: [mutters] Deja fou.
- MARCEL: The witches were furious with Kieran. Sophie tells me that the witches put a hex on his nephew Sean, made it seem like he was slowly losing his mind in order to distract Kieran while they kept planning for the Harvest.
- Klaus: [angry] So they attacked Kieran's nephew.
- MARCEL: Yeah. Kid wasn't the same after that. Ended up going postal, killing all his fellow seminary students. All of them. And then himself.
- Klaus: [feigns ignorance] I might have read about that. The boy... killed a twin, or he was a twin, or something.
- MARCEL: Ah, no, no, no, they said he had a twin sister.
[Marcel sips his liquor, while Klaus downs all of his in one gulp, obviously angered at learning that the witches hexed Cami's brother into killing all of those people]
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
[Elijah is still fiddling around with the violin while Davina packs her suitcase]
- Elijah: So, enlighten me. What did you mean when you said you had to die?
- DAVINA: That's what the Harvest was. They said they'd put us four girls in a state of, like, peaceful limbo as part of the offering. And then later, at the Reaping, we'd awaken and be reborn. I never got as far as the limbo part, which means the Harvest isn't complete. That's why the witches are so freaked out. The Reaping is just around the corner, and if they don't finish it before then, it's over. All I have to do is wait it out.
- Elijah: And then what?
- DAVINA: They're punished, and I'm free.
- Elijah: From Marcel?
- DAVINA: Of magic. All our power will drain away. I'll be normal.
- Elijah: [confused] Is that what you want? To be normal?
- DAVINA: I just don't wanna be what I am. I can't control it sometimes. Magic. I... [She begins to cry] ...hurt people. Even when I don't mean to.
- Elijah: [patiently] Why don't you tell me about your friends? You must miss them.
- DAVINA: [smiles] There's Tim. He doesn't know about any of this witch stuff. He's normal. My best friend, Monique. She was a part of the Harvest too. She's lucky. No one ever fought for me, but someone fought for her. The only one who ever spoke out against the Harvest was Monique's aunt.
- Elijah: And who is that?
- DAVINA: [sighs] Sophie Deveraux.
[Elijah gapes at her in shock]
[Sophie, Rebekah and Hayley continue to walk around the woods of the Bayou to look for the dead witches]
- REBEKAH: So, this Harvest thingy—- tell me more.
- SOPHIE: Klaus said to wait.
- REBEKAH: Yes. He also said to stay out of the bayou and yet here we are, amongst the crawly, buzzy creatures.
- HAYLEY: We're here.
[They have reached the place where the witches were killed. Their bodies are all bloodied and ripped apart, and a dismembered head lies near the bodies. Sophie, who looks sick, kneels down to dig around her bag for the ingredients she needs to consecrate her fellow witches]
- HAYLEY: Whoa.
[Hayley sees a huge paw-print in the mud. In a nearby tree, there are three bloody scratches in the bark]
- SOPHIE: Is that a wolf track?
[They hear the sound of crunching footsteps nearby]
- REBEKAH: [calls out to the intruder] Who's there?
[The person approaching them is a male vampire-– Marcel's informant, Tomas]
- TOMAS: [freaked out] What the hell? An Original?
[He gets scared and immediately runs away with vampire speed, leaving the girls standing and gaping in shock]
BIG AUGGIE'S BAYOU BAR / ST. ANNE'S CHURCH / THE HARVEST
[Klaus walks outside of Big Auggie's Bayou Bar as he talks to Rebekah on his cell phone]
- Klaus: Let me understand this-- against all logic, you and Hayley went to the Bayou, where you ran into a man you think may be Marcel's informant, and then you lost him?
- REBEKAH: [rolls her eyes] Yes, and now that we've established that I am a failure as a sister, and a friend, and an Original, you should probably know he's on his way to Marcel right now to rat me out. Skinny guy in a hurry, looks like he saw a ghost.
- Klaus: [smiles] I'll handle it, but I'll need a distraction.
- REBEKAH: I'm on my way.
[She hangs up, and swats at a mosquito that has landed on her arm. Klaus enters the bar again]
- MARCEL: Your sister again?
- Klaus: She craves attention. So, come along, you were just getting to the juicy bits.
- MARCEL: I can't joke around about this. I've done a lot in my day, but I do have a rule about kids.
[The story about the Harvest continues as Marcel tells it to Klaus at the bar, and Davina tells it to Elijah in her room. The scenes alternate between the two storytellers, as well as a flashback sequence from two points of view]
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH [Davina is continuing her story in her bedroom while Elijah listens intently]
- DAVINA: No one but Sophie ever questioned the Harvest. Not even my own mother. So, neither did I. We thought it was such an honor, we had such faith. We were so stupid.
- Elijah: So, how did it begin?
- DAVINA: We were led out like princesses. My mother was so proud.
FLASHBACK-- THE HARVEST RITUAL, EIGHT MONTHS AGO (FIRST ATTEMPT) [It's night now, and the four girls are led into the Lafayette Cemetery by the elders to start the Harvest. There are birdbaths around them with liquid that are lit on fire]
- BASTIANNA: Our magic fades as our ties to our ancestors weaken over time. We beseech them, accept this offering as a sign of our faith.
[The girls kneel in a row in the middle of the crowd of people]
- DAVINA: [voiceover in present day] Bastiana, one of the elders, called upon the four elements to bind our past and future magic together. Earth, to connect us to our ancestors. Water, to heal the community. Wind, to carry us to our ancestors and back. Fire, to purify. After all our preparation, we knew exactly what to expect. For weeks, they told us that the magic in the knife they used to cut our palms would put us to sleep, and that later at the Reaping, we would all be resurrected. They said we'd awaken, and all be together and more powerful than ever. And it was just like we rehearsed it. All that was left was a little cut on our palms for the blood sacrifice.
[The first girl, Abigail, stands up to begin the Harvest, but they're interrupted when Sophie runs into the cemetery]
- SOPHIE: No! Stop! Bastianna, stop! You have to stop, Bastianna! Please don't do this!
[A male witch wraps his arms around Sophie to restrain her, and covers her mouth with his hand so she can't intervene or scream anymore]
- DAVINA: [voiceover] Even after Sophie tried to stop it, we didn't suspect anything.
- BASTIANNA: To be born, you must sacrifice. Do you have faith?
[The girl nods in response, and holds out her hand for the blood sacrifice. Instead, Bastianna slits the Abigail's throat, and the young witch falls to the ground. The other three girls start to scream in terror, but they're also restrained by fellow witches so that they can't run away. Davina's mother stares straight ahead as her daughter screams, ignoring how terrified she is]
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH [Elijah is looking at Davina in shock, clearly appalled by how she was treated]
- Elijah: Everyone involved in the ritual knew that this would happen.
- DAVINA: Except the four of us. They weren't putting us to sleep, they were slaughtering us!
FLASHBACK-- THE HARVEST RITUAL, EIGHT MONTHS AGO (FIRST ATTEMPT) [The next witch, Cassie, is pushed forward, and Bastianna slashes her throat with the knife as well, despite her protests]
- DAVINA: [terrified] No, no!
- BASTIANNA: Monique Deveraux.
- DAVINA: [pleading] NO, NO, NOOO!
[A man forces Monique forward toward Bastianna to be sacrificed next]
- DAVINA: [voiceover] I begged for someone to help. My own mother turned away from me. Sophie screamed and screamed for her sister, anyone, to do something.
- SOPHIE: What is wrong with you!?
[Jane-Anne looks worried, but does nothing]
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
- DAVINA: But no one did.
- Elijah: And yet, you survived. Therefore, someone or something intervened.
[Davina nods, her eyes filled with tears]
- DAVINA: Yes. Someone finally did.
FLASHBACK-- THE HARVEST RITUAL, EIGHT MONTHS AGO (FIRST ATTEMPT)
- SOPHIE: [desperate and terrified] Monique, run away! Run away!
[A shrill whistle can be heard, and a group of vampires, led by Marcel, infiltrates the cemetery. They immediately start killing the witches]
- SOPHIE: [relieved] Marcel.
BIG AUGGIE'S BAYOU BAR
- Klaus: You're the one who stopped it.
- MARCEL: Kieran knew every detail from Sophie. After his nephew's massacre in the church, he was so torn up, he left town just before the Harvest. But on his way out, he came to me, and he asked me to stop the Harvest. He knew I didn't want the witches getting any more power. And I do have a rule about people abusing kids, so, I did what he asked. But I was too late.
FLASHBACK-- THE HARVEST RITUAL, EIGHT MONTHS AGO (FIRST ATTEMPT)
[The vampires are still attacking the elders. A vampire bites Bastianna and feeds on her until she dies, and when her body falls to the ground, so does the athame in her hand. Another vampire bites and kills Davina's mom. Agnes picks up the knife from the ground, grabs Monique, and slits her throat with it. Davina screams, hysterically trying to break free]
- DAVINA: No, Monique! Nooo! Let go of me! Stop it! Stop it! Let go of me! Stop it!
[Davina fights against the witch holding her. Marcel watches her fight against him as she headbutts the guy in the face and breaks out of his grip. Marcel quickly rushes over to the man and snaps his neck before he grabs Davina protectively]
- MARCEL: [whispers] I got you.
BIG AUGGIE'S BAYOU BAR
- MARCEL: There was something about seeing Davina fight. She didn't just go along to the slaughter, you know?
- Klaus: [smiles slightly] I do... Marcellus.
- MARCEL: [somberly] I felt like she and I... we were kindred spirits.
FLASHBACK-- THE HARVEST RITUAL, EIGHT MONTHS AGO
[Marcel is still holding Davina, while Sophie kneels on the ground, holding Monique's body in her lap. Sophie looks up at Marcel and Davina, and Davina holds her hand out toward Monique. A light inside Monique leaks out of her body, and into Davina's outstretched hand, and Sophie and Marcel stare at her in amazement]
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
- DAVINA: Every girl who died released her power on to the next. When I was the last one, I suddenly had all of it-- all the power that was supposed to be released back into the earth to appease our ancestors.
- Elijah: So... the Harvest was actually working?
- DAVINA: Something was working. And I knew that I was supposed to be killed so the Harvest could be completed and we would all be resurrected. But, they lied to us about how they were killing us. How do I know they weren't lying to us about coming back? [She pauses a beat] But mostly, I just didn't want to die. So, I let him save me. Marcel saved my life.
[In the flashback, Marcel sees the surprised look on Sophie's face, and vamp-speeds himself and Davina away before she can get hurt. In the present, Elijah is disgusted by how Davina was treated, and gives her a sympathetic look]
BIG AUGGIE'S BAYOU BAR
- Klaus: You were quite the knight in shining armor. Though Davina must realize you owe her as much as she owes you. You never could have banned the witches from using magic without her.
- MARCEL: She's not exactly besties with them. I'm protecting her. A lot of them would like to get their hands on her and kill her to finish the Harvest. If they don't, the other girls stay dead, and they lose their power.
- Klaus: And if they do, you lose yours.
- MARCEL: And Davina loses her life.
[Rebekah shows up and joins them]
- REBEKAH: [pleasantly] Isn't this like old times? Just how drunk are you two?
- Klaus: [feigns drunkenness and slurs his words] Skating on the razor's edge. I'm gonna use the loo. Back in a tick.
[Klaus leaves, and Rebekah stands next to Marcel at the bar]
- REBEKAH: I haven't seen him this lushy since the '20s.
- MARCEL: So, you came to take him home?
- REBEKAH: Why else would I be here?
- MARCEL: I don't know. Maybe to make sure I didn't get too drunk and spill secrets better left unspilled about you and me. I know better.
- REBEKAH: I hope so, because you don't wanna end up on the wrong side of me.
- MARCEL: Oh, Rebekah Mikaelson. You do not wanna be on the wrong side of me.
[The two stare at each other intently]
OUTSIDE OF THE BAR
[Klaus walks outside and sees Tomas, who has just returned from the Bayou]
- Klaus: Tomas, I presume? Marcel asked me to find out what you know about the dead witches.
- TOMAS: I heard they were going after some pregnant werewolf. She was stupid, being out there all alone.
- Klaus: [chuckles fakely] Yeah, she was, wasn't she, yes? It's amazing how gullible some people can be.
[Klaus smiles and snaps the vampire's neck]
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
[In Davina's room in the attic, Elijah proudly holds up Tim's fully-repaired violin and hands it to Davina]
- Elijah: You may return this now to its rightful owner. It's restored.
[Davina takes the instrument and stares at it sadly]
- DAVINA: I don't even know if I'll see him again.
[Davina becomes overwhelmed by emotions, and the room starts to shake, as if they're in an earthquake. Elijah and Davina look around worriedly, and the window shutters burst open as the shaking stops]
- Elijah: Davina, this power that you contain, drawn from your fallen friends—- it's too much for you. You need control, which requires study and practice. Now, my mother was a very powerful witch. She left behind her grimoires, a legacy of books filled with spells. These books contain all of the tools that you might need to control your magic. If you free me from here, I can share them with you. However, if you leave now with Marcel, we'll never see each other again, and I cannot find you, and I can't help you.
- DAVINA: The witches manipulated me. You know how that ended.
- Elijah: This is not manipulation. This is one thing in exchange for another. I'm offering you a deal.
BIG AUGGIE'S BAYOU BAR
[Klaus returns to the bar again. Rebekah joins him where they were sitting after she exits the bathroom, but Marcel is nowhere to be seen]
- Klaus: That was fast work, Rebekah. Where's Marcel? In there, touching up his lipstick?
- REBEKAH: Credit me with some taste, it's filthy in there. Where'd he go?
- Klaus: [confused] He didn't tell you he was leaving?
- REBEKAH: [worried] ...No. Do you think he realized we were stalling him?
- Klaus: [brainstorms] No. Unless... he was stalling us.
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
[Marcel bursts into Davina's room. Elijah is hiding in his coffin]
- MARCEL: Okay, now's our shot. You ready to blow this joint?
- DAVINA: [smiles] Can't wait.
[Marcel grabs Davina's suitcase and the two get ready to leave the room]
- MARCEL: We'll leave Elijah behind as a parting gift. Might buy me a little forgiveness for pulling one over on his siblings. Let's go.
[The two leave the attic, though Davina gives her room a final parting glance before she goes. When the two of them are out of earshot, Elijah pulls himself out of his coffin. Downstairs, Marcel walks ahead of Davina. She stops suddenly in the middle of the church's main room, and he turns to look at her]
- MARCEL: What's wrong? What's happening?
[The church starts shaking, and Davina's body tenses up as her body starts to spasm]
- DAVINA: [afraid] I don't know. Something's wrong.
[Marcel runs up to Davina to help her]
- DAVINA: Marcel. There's something dangerous out there. Take me back!
[Davina passes out, and Marcel catches her in his arms before he hits the ground]
- MARCEL: Damn it.
[He picks her up and carries her back to her room. Upstairs, Elijah waits in the doorway and smiles. He has hidden by the time Marcel brings her back up to her room and puts her into her bed. He tucks her in under her blankets, and after looking at her for a moment, he takes his leave. Once he's gone, Davina opens her eyes and lifts her head]
FLASHBACK-- ST. ANNE'S CHURCH, EIGHT MONTHS AGO
[Marcel and Davina enter the attic room for the first time immediately after the failed attempt at the Harvest ritual]
- MARCEL: No one's gonna look for you here. It's only for a little while, 'til I get you out of town and some place safe. For now I can get you whatever you want. What do you like to do?
- DAVINA: [whispers nervously] Draw.
- MARCEL: An artist, huh? That's cool. Okay, I can buy out Vincent's for you tomorrow. Maybe get you some curtains, or--
- DAVINA: [interrupts him] Marcel? You know what I really want? [She pauses for a beat] I wanna make them pay.
[Marcel says nothing, but nods in agreement]
[Davina sits up in her bed after Marcel leaves the room]
- DAVINA: [calls out] Elijah?
- Elijah: [comes out of hiding] I'm pleased you stayed.
- DAVINA: You'll keep your promise about your mother's spell book?
- Elijah: I will. You know, difficulties aside, I value my family above everything. I am sorry that yours failed you.
- DAVINA: Your brother Klaus handed you to Marcel in a box, yet you still don't give up on him?
- Elijah: [smiles] Well, I've given up on giving up. It's an affliction. I will fight for my family until my last breath.
- DAVINA: And I'll fight the witches until mine.
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
[Marcel is on his way out of the church when Father Kieran stops him]
- KIERAN: Now what? You just gonna leave her up there for anybody to find?
- MARCEL: [frustrated] I'm not in the mood, Kieran.
- KIERAN: You were supposed to get her out of New Orleans after the Harvest. We failed those other three girls, we didn't fail her! That is why I came to you for help. That was the plan.
- MARCEL: [sighs] Plans change.
- KIERAN: Especially after you found out how powerful she was.
- MARCEL: Let's get something straight-- for eight months since you left, I've been running this town just fine. I don't need you coming back and gettin' in my business. I will do what I want, where I want. Got it?
- KIERAN: You wanna be the boss? You wanna call the shots? Fine. But I call the shots with the humans. And you don't wanna make an enemy of me. So, I would suggest one thing—- stay away from my niece.
- MARCEL: [scoffs] Fine. Who the hell's your niece?
[Marcel turns to leave without waiting for an answer, but Kieran shouts after him]
- KIERAN: Cami.
[Marcel stops in his tracks and considers this news for a moment, before huffing in frustration and leaving]
[It's night now, and Hayley and Sophie are returning to Sophie's truck]
- HAYLEY: Those people, all this, because of a vision about my baby you don't think is true?
- SOPHIE: Look, I love Sabine, but she's the witch equivalent of a drama queen. I've learned to take little stock in whatever she says or sees. Just kinda wish she'd kept her mouth shut.
- HAYLEY: The Harvest ritual-- you said you didn't believe in it. Were you right?
- SOPHIE: No. I saw it with my own eyes. It was working. It was real.
- HAYLEY: So, how can you be so sure Sabine's vision isn't?
[Sophie doesn't have an answer to this question]
[Marcel walks into the courtyard where Klaus is waiting for him up on the top of a cement barrier]
- Klaus: Taking me on a field trip to distract me? Pathetic. And obvious. I taught you better than that.
- MARCEL: You taught me to protect what's mine. You will not take Davina from me—- end of story.
- Klaus: An immutable law of nature, Marcel, is the strong always take from the weak.
- MARCEL: Oh, if you were so strong, you wouldn't have run away from New Orleans like a little bitch all those years ago.
[Klaus jumps down from where he was standing and punches Marcel in the face]
- Klaus: You've been playing king with a bunch of children for too long. Don't mistake me for one of your nightwalker lackeys, Marcel. I can take Davina anytime I like.
[Marcel lunges for Klaus, but he's knocked back down by Elijah, who has appeared out of nowhere]
- Elijah: Do forgive me, Marcel. If anyone is to teach my brother a lesson... it's me.
[Klaus stares in shock at his brother, and doesn't seem too pleased to see him]
[Rebekah pours several drinks as she talks to Hayley]
- REBEKAH: I don't care if we have to get you a leash, that was your last trip to the Bayou. What is it with you and those wolves, anyway?
- HAYLEY: I feel like we're connected somehow. I don't know. Maybe it's just some pipe dream that I have of finding any real family out there. But sometimes, when I feel like it's me against the world, it keeps me going.
[Rebekah gives Hayley a sympathetic look and hands her a drink. Hayley side-eyes her, and Rebekah suddenly remembers that Hayley is pregnant and can't drink, so she drinks Hayley's glass of bourbon in one gulp before pouring her own]
- REBEKAH: Oh, right. Well, if you ask me, family is a pain in the behind.
[Hayley rolls her eyes]
- REBEKAH: And as for being in it alone, how dare you? I don't ruin a perfectly fabulous pair of boots traipsing through the Bayou for just anyone.
[Hayley smiles, and Rebekah downs her second drink. Their conversation is interrupted by Klaus walking through the front door]
- REBEKAH: [relieved] Nik, finally! What–-
[Elijah walks through the door after his brother with a huge smile. Rebekah runs to Elijah and hugs him tight. Elijah sees Hayley over Rebekah's shoulder, and they smile at each other, though Hayley leaves the room right afterward]
- REBEKAH: Elijah! You're safe! Now that you're home, is your first plan to kill Niklaus?
- Elijah: [smiles] Excuse me just a moment.
[He walks through the living room toward the back yard]
- REBEKAH: [confused] Where's he going?
[Elijah walks out the back door, where he finds Hayley standing on the patio]
- HAYLEY: [smiles awkwardly] You're back.
- Elijah: [grins] I'm back.
[The two look at each other for a moment, and then Hayley slaps him in the face]
- HAYLEY: Don't make promises you can't keep. [She turns to leave] Welcome home.
[Elijah touches his face where she slapped him, and smiles to himself as Hayley heads inside]
[Later, the Mikaelson siblings and Hayley sit in the study, where Elijah stands behind the desk and explains everything that he has learned from Davina that day]
- Elijah: Everything that brought us here to New Orleans was a lie. This story that Sophie Deveraux fabricated, this struggle for control of the French Quarter, this war between vampires and witches, wasn't over territory at all, this was over Davina.
FLASHBACK-- ROUSSEAU'S, EIGHT MONTHS AGO
[In the back room of Rousseau's, Jane-Anne and Sophie are both sobbing and arguing shortly after the failed attempt at the Harvest ritual]
- SOPHIE: [hysterical] I swear, I had no idea that the Harvest could possibly be real!
- JANE-ANNE: [sobbing] But the one thing that you were sure of is that I was wrong, and that I would risk Monique's life on a maybe. And now my daughter is dead.
- SOPHIE: Please tell me how to fix this.
- JANE-ANNE: Now that Marcel has Davina, how we are even supposed to find her? If we don't finish the Harvest, Monique and those two other girls are dead for real.
[Sophie steps toward her sister and grabs her hands in determination]
- SOPHIE: Look at me. You and I are gonna find a way to get Monique back. It'll be our little secret. We'll do it together. I'll seal off the cemetery from the vampires, find Davina, stop Marcel and finish the ritual once and for all. Even if I have to slit Davina's throat myself.
PRESENT DAY-- MIKAELSON MANSION
- Elijah: Eight months ago, Sophie Deveraux and her sister Jane-Anne lost everything. Now, four months after that, a young pregnant girl wanders into their restaurant. Suddenly, all hope is renewed. Jane-Anne actually sacrificed her life so that her sister can use you to find Davina. If Sophie Deveraux is successful in capturing Davina, she can return Jane-Anne's daughter back to life. We thought we'd come here to wage a war for power. This is about family. In order to return her niece to life, Sophie Deveraux will fight to the death. That makes her more dangerous than anyone.
[As they speak, Sophie kneels in front of Jane-Anne's grave at Lafayette Cemetery in the pouring rain, where she cries silently and stares at her family's gravestone]