The Vampire Diaries wiki team makes every effort to maintain professional courtesy and provide sources of information for upcoming episodes. However, anyone can edit the Vampire Diaries Wiki. As a result, it is not an accurate spoiler source and should not be cited as such.
The second season of The Vampire Diaries began airing in the United States on September 9, 2010. There was a 1 week break in October, then a 2 week break in November, then a 7 week break from December to January 27, after that 6 week break and then last 6 episodes will air.
Returning for its second season, The Vampire Diaries is the story of two vampire brothers who are obsessed with the same beautiful girl Elena Gilbert, and battling to control the fate of an entire town. During season one, Stefan and Damon Salvatore returned to their hometown of Mystic Falls, Virginia, for very different reasons - Stefan was determined to get to know Elena Gilbert, who bears a striking resemblance to Katherine Pierce, the beautiful but ruthless vampire the brothers knew and loved in 1864, while Damon was intent on releasing Katherine from the tomb where he believed she was trapped by a witch's spell all those years ago. At the end of season one, Elena's biological father John Gilbert set a plan in motion that brought the Founder's Day celebration to an end amid chaos, destruction and death, and saw the return of the vengeful Katherine Pierce. Next season, the appearance of the villainous Katherine in Mystic Falls throws a wrench into the love triangle between the two brothers Stefan and Damon, fighting for the love of Elena,who can't choose between the two, and the other residents of Mystic Falls must choose sides as they fall victim to a new breed of the danger. In the meantime, one of Elena's friends, Caroline Forbes, became a vampire after being killed by Katherine while having Damon's blood in her system, forcing her friends to help her cope with the new outlook in life she has been given. And if that wasn't bad enough, it soon became apparent that vampires may not be the only creatures of the night living in Mystic Falls, as the existence of werewolves came to light. New and unexpected friendships will be forged, allies will become enemies, and hearts will be broken. Stefan and Damon will be forced to face a villain more evil and diabolical than they ever believed possible.
The series stars Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert and as Katherine Pierce , Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore, Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore, Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert, Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers, Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett, Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes, Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan, Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood and Matthew Davis as Alaric Saltzman.
Based on the series of books by L. J. Smith, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is from Alloy Entertainment and Bonanza Productions Inc in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Kevin Williamson ("Scream," "Dawson's Creek"), Julie Plec ("Kyle XY," "Wasteland"), Leslie Morgenstein ("Gossip Girl," "Private") and Bob Levy ("Gossip Girl," "Privileged")
- Chapter I: The Katherine Chapter: (Ep. 201 - 207) This chapter deals with the aftermath of the destruction of the tomb vampire, the return of Katherine Pierce, Caroline's new life as a vampire and the mystery surrounding Mason Lockwood and Tyler Lockwood.
- The main antagonists of this chapter are Katherine Pierce and Mason Lockwood.
- Chapter III: The Klaus/Curse Chapter: (Ep. 215 - 222) This chapter deals with the aftermath of Elijah's death and the release of Katherine Pierce from the tomb. It also deals with the arrival of Klaus, and it concentrates truly on the events surrounding the curse.
- The main antagonist of this chapter is Klaus.
- The main antagonists of this season are Klaus and Katherine Pierce.
- Main article: Antagonists in Season 2
Episode List : 2010-2011
|The Return||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec||Director: J. Miller Tobin||September 9, 2010||#2x01|
|The second season begins with Elena discovering her uncle John's bloody body and learning Jeremy's fate, and Damon realizing that Katherine has returned. Meanwhile, Caroline is taken to the hospital following a car accident, and Tyler's mysterious uncle Mason arrives in town.
|Brave New World||Writer: Brian Young||Director: John Dahl||September 16, 2010||#2x02|
|When a confused and desperate Caroline leaves the hospital and joins her friends at the Mystic Falls Carnival, Damon wants to take immediate action, but Stefan and Elena come to Caroline’s defense. Matt is completely mystified by Caroline’s behavior, but still tries to tell her about his feelings for her. Damon has suspicions about Tyler’s Uncle Mason (guest star Taylor Kinney) and uses Tyler’s volatile personality in an attempt to get Mason to reveal his secret. Upset with everything going on around her, Bonnie takes her anger out on Damon.
|Bad Moon Rising||Writer: Andrew Chambliss||Director: Patrick Norris||September 23, 2010||#2x03|
|Elena, Damon and Alaric take a road trip to Duke University and search through Isobel’s research on folklore and paranormal phenomena to see if they can uncover any clues to the mystery surrounding the Lockwood family. Isobel’s former student, Vanessa (guest star Courtney Ford, “Dexter”) offers to guide them through the research and ends up getting quite an education herself. Stefan comes face to face with a terrifying new danger in the woods, and Tyler makes a shocking discovery about Mason.
|Memory Lane||Writer: Caroline Dries||Director: Rob Hardy||September 30, 2010||#2x04|
|Stefan takes drastic measures to find out the real reason Katherine has returned to Mystic Falls, and is shocked when she reveals new secrets about what really happened in 1864. Damon tries a new tactic to resolve his issues with Mason, but it proves costly. Tyler pushes Mason to tell him the truth about the Lockwoods. Finally, when Katherine delivers an ultimatum, Stefan and Elena are left with very few options.
|Kill or Be Killed||Writer: Mike Daniels||Director: Jeff Woolnough||October 7, 2010||#2x05|
|Tyler learns more about the Lockwood family curse from Mason. Stefan and Damon argue over how to handle Mason. Elena tries to keep Jeremy from becoming more involved with the Lockwood mystery, but Jeremy makes an effort to hang out with Tyler. Mason gives Sheriff Forbes some startling information, leading to a night of violence, confession and heartbreak.
|Plan B||Writer: Elizabeth Craft & Sarah Fain||Director: John Behring||October 21, 2010||#2x06|
|Despite Elena’s efforts to keep Jeremy safe, he offers to help Damon and Alaric deal with Katherine. Sheriff Forbes and Caroline share a few rare moments of quality mother/daughter time. Bonnie accidentally discovers new information about Mason and shares it with Stefan, leading Damon to take matters into his own hands.
|Masquerade||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec||Director: Charles Beeson||October 28, 2010||#2x07|
|Stefan and Damon decide on a new plan to deal with Katherine at the Lockwood’s masquerade ball. Katherine calls on an old friend, Lucy (guest star Natashia Williams), to attend the ball with her. Bonnie, Jeremy and Alaric all do what they can to help Stefan and Damon, but Katherine has a surprise planned that none of them could foresee. Things take an ugly turn when Matt and Tyler start doing shots with their friends.
|Rose (episode)||Writer: Brian Young||Director: Liz Friedlander||November 4, 2010||#2x08|
|Stefan and Damon come to Elena’s assistance and, in the process, learn surprising new information about people, vampires, and events in the distant past. Jeremy helps Bonnie after she casts a difficult and exhausting spell, and Caroline does what she can to make things easier for Tyler. Finally, Stefan and Damon reach a new understanding.
|Katerina||Writer: Andrew Chambliss||Director: J. Miller Tobin||November 11, 2010||#2x09|
|Elena puts herself in a dangerous position as she searches for the truth about Katherine’s past and what her own future may hold. Knowing that Stefan would never agree to her plan, Elena swears Caroline to secrecy. Damon uses a new-found confidant to help him try to discover the real purpose and power of the moonstone. Jeremy and Bonnie meet Luka (guest star Bryton James), a new student with a surprising family history.
|The Sacrifice||Writer: Caroline Dries||Director: Ralph Hemecker||December 2, 2010||#2x10|
|Elena decides to take matters into her own hands and offers a tempting incentive to Rose for her help. When things take an unexpected turn, however, Rose calls on Damon to deal with the plan Elena has set in motion. Jeremy’s reckless attempt to help Bonnie retrieve the moonstone lands him in a life-threatening position and forces Stefan to put himself in danger. Bonnie and Luka (guest star Bryton James) form a closer connection. Tyler shows Caroline the Lockwood cellar, where she makes a discovery that leaves them both terrified.
|By the Light of the Moon||Writer: Mike Daniels||Director: Elizabeth Allen||December 9, 2010||#2x11|
|As the full moon approaches, Caroline helps Tyler prepare for the transformation, he is powerless to stop. While Stefan and Katherine play mind games on one another, Damon and Alaric are suspicious when a stranger named Jules shows up in Mystic Falls, searching for her friend, Mason. Elena is frustrated at the lengths Jeremy and her friends have gone to in order to keep her safe. Bonnie and Luka work together on a spell, while still keeping secrets from one another. Finally Elijah makes an unexpected appearance with an offer that could change everything. (Mid-season finale)
|The Descent||Writer: Sarah Fain & Elizabeth Craft||Director: Marcos Siega||January 27, 2011||#2x12|
|Stefan has his own ideas about Elena’s new plan for the future. While Damon tries to get the truth out of Jules, he asks Elena to keep an eye on Rose, a situation that turns unexpectedly dangerous. Caroline and Matt try to be honest about their feelings for one another, and Tyler’s reaction to Caroline’s generosity comes as a surprise to her. Damon struggles to hide his true feelings when a life-and-death crisis hits him harder than he expected.
|Daddy Issues||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec||Director: Joshua Butler||February 3, 2011||#2x13|
|John Gilbert’s return to Mystic Falls comes as an unhappy surprise to Elena , Jenna and Damon. Caroline lets Stefan know about her conversation with Tyler, and Stefan does his best to reach out to a confused and conflicted Tyler. Jeremy comforts Bonnie after her disturbing conversation with Jonas. When Jules takes a hostage, the situation quickly escalates into a violent confrontation.
|Crying Wolf||Writer: Brian Young||Director: David von Ancken||February 10, 2011||#2x14|
|Stefan and Elena get away for what they hope will be a romantic weekend at the Gilbert family lake house, not realizing that they’ve been followed. Jenna starts to worry that Alaric isn’t being honest with her. Jules explains the importance of the sun and moon curse to Tyler, but leaves out an important detail. Damon attends a tea at the Historical Society in order to talk to Elijah, but Elijah isn’t giving up any secrets. With help from Caroline and Jeremy, Bonnie uses deceptive measures to get shocking new information out of Luka. Finally, Tyler offers Matt some relationship advice.
|The Dinner Party||Writer: Andrew Chambliss||Director: Marcos Siega||February 17, 2011||#2x15|
|Stefan tells Elena about a dark time in his history and the surprising person whose influence changed everything. After getting the truth out of Luka , Jonas makes his feelings clear to Bonnie and Jeremy. Trying to catch Elijah off-guard, Damon arranges a dinner party for him with Jenna , Alaric and Andie (guest star Dawn Olivieri), but last-minute information throws Damon’s plan into chaos.
|The House Guest||Writer: Caroline Dries||Director: Michael Katleman||February 24, 2011||#2x16|
|Katherine’s mind games are getting on everyone’s nerves, but Damon, Stefan and Elena realize that her knowledge of Mystic Falls history will help them stay alive. Frustrated with her relationship with Matt, Caroline finds a new way to get his attention. Alaric makes a surprising confession to Jenna, and Katherine makes a different kind of confession to Damon. Stefan and Bonnie try to convince Jonas and Luka that they should all be working together, but Jonas’ lack of trust leads to a violent and fiery confrontation.
|Know Thy Enemy||Writer: Mike Daniels||Director: Wendey Stanzler||April 7, 2011||#2x17|
|Elena and Alaric both lash out at John when Isobel’s unexpected arrival leaves Jenna devastated. Bonnie works with Damon and Jeremy to find the spell they’ll need to harness her ancestors’ power. A heartbroken Caroline doesn’t know what to do about Matt. Stefan and Damon realize they have a new secret weapon.
|The Last Dance||Writer: Michael Narducci||Director: John_Behring||April 14, 2011||#2x18|
|As the high school prepares to throw a 1960s Decade Dance, Elena starts receiving disturbing messages from Klaus via an unusual source.Her mother. Bonnie tries to reassure Jeremy that she is strong enough to help Elena, but a worried Jeremy asks Stefan for advice. Caroline talks Matt into taking her to the dance. Expecting Klaus to show up at the dance, Damon and Alaric attend as chaperones, but Klaus is playing a complicated game that keeps them on edge. Finally, Damon comes up with a new plan of action that shocks and upsets everyone.
|Klaus (episode)||Writer: Kevin Williamson& Julie Plec||Director: Joshua Butler||April 21, 2011||#2x19|
|Stefan and Damon are furious when they discover that Elena has defied them both to make a new ally and take control of the plan to out-maneuver Klaus. Disagreement over how to protect Elena leads to growing tension between the Salvatore brothers. Meanwhile, Stefan has his hands full trying to keep a confused and frightened Jenna safe. Flashbacks to 1491 reveal Katherine’s introduction to Elijah and Klaus, along with the origin of the moonstone curse. Elena learns shocking new information about Klaus’ motives.
|The Last Day||Writer: Andrew Chambliss& Brian Young||Director: J. Miller Tobin||April 28, 2011||#2x20|
|Damon is willing to go to extraordinary lengths to prevent Elena from being a victim of Klaus’ plan to break the curse. Damon’s actions put him at terrible odds with Stefan and the tension that started brewing between the brothers over their differing opinions of how to help save Elena’s life blows up into full-scale conflict. Tyler returns to Mystic Falls after receiving a disturbing phone call. With the full moon marking the arrival of the sacrifice ritual, Stefan and Elena spend a romantic day together — afraid it might be their last
|The Sun Also Rises||Writer: Caroline Dries & Mike Daniels||Director: Paul M. Sommers||May 5, 2011||#2x21|
|With the arrival of the full moon, Elena tries to prepare for whatever Klaus has planned and Tyler faces his second transformation. The terrifying events quickly spin out of control, despite an unexpected act of courage. Finally, Damon admits the truth to Stefan about a terrible new development they must face...
|As I Lay Dying||Writer: Turi Meyer & Al Septien & Michael Narducci||Director: John Behring||May 12, 2011||#2x22|
|While Mystic Falls presents a screening of “Gone with The Wind” in the town square, Damon’s memories of Katherine in 1864 mix with the reality of Elena in the present day. Stefan pays a terrible personal price for his attempt to prevent a tragedy, and Sheriff Forbes makes a deadly mistake while trying to keep everyone safe. More than one life hangs in the balance as the consequences of the sacrifice ritual play out to a horrifying conclusion.
- Like Season One, the series is written in chapters, beginning with the denominated "The Katherine Chapter" from episode 1 to 7. The Second Chapter of the season " Werewolf Chapter" runs from episode 8 to 14, and the third chapter("The Curse Chapter" Source) will run from episodes 15 to 22.
- The CW announced an early renewal for Season Two of The Vampire Diaries on Tuesday, February 16, 2010, along with 5 other popular CW TV shows.
- Caroline becomes the second main character to be killed and become a vampire, after Vicki.
- Although this season is not based on a particular book, most of Niklaus Mikaelson's character traits are directly lifted from his novel counterpart, who first appeared as the main antagonist of Dark Reunion.
- Jenna became the third main character to be killed and become a vampire towards the end of season 2.
- During this season, more characters discovered the secret of the Salvatore brothers and Caroline after she becomes a vampire eventually every main character learned it :
- Caroline learned it during Episode 2's Brave New World, when she herself becomes a vampire
- Like in Season One, the Salvatore brothers try and do anything to protect her (Elena) but both fail when Klaus arrives in town to make the sacrifice with the help of a witch named Greta.
- Mason discovers that Damon and Stefan are vampires in Episode 4's Memory Lane and Caroline in Episode 5's Kill or Be Killed
- Sheriff Forbes is told by Mason that Damon and Stefan are vampires and discovers Caroline is one as well in Episode 5's Kill or Be Killed. But is compelled to forget by Caroline in Plan B. Matt tells her again in Know Thy Enemy.
- Tyler learns that Caroline is a vampire in Rose and that Stefan and Damon also are in Daddy Issues.
- Matt learns that Caroline is a vampire after she uses her blood to heal him from an injure in The House Guest. He then knew the rest in Know Thy Enemy and tells Elizabeth Forbes.
- Jenna learns that in Klaus when Klaus possessing Alaric explains things about vampires and when Stefan uses his super speed towards Klaus.
- As of episode 19, Klaus, all main characters know the truth.
- Elena, Stefan and Damon are once again the only main characters to appear in every episode so far.
- Caroline appear in every episode except The Dinner Party and Klaus.
- John Gilbert, Sheriff Forbes, Carol Lockwood, Isobel Saltzman and Cherie and Frank are the only non-main characters who appeared in series 1 and 2 while not being in flashbacks.
- Lexi, Anna and Vicki are the only deceased characters from the first season to reappear in some form during the second season.
- As of the first two seasons, of the five original female main characters, three have turned into vampires Vicki, Caroline and Jenna, but only Caroline has survived.
- This is the first season that Kayla Ewell (Vicki Donovan) doesn't appear in any episodes up until the season 2 finale, As I Lay Dying.
- Season 2 picks up right where season 1 left off, it is unknown what month its suppose to be, but during A Few Good Men where we told it is 2010, so its assumed the last 8 episodes took place over the course of a month. So its likely where currently seeings events unfold through late February/early March 2010.
- The Return and Brave New World take place over a period of 24 to 48 hours.
- Bad Moon Rising takes place 1 week following the events of the Brave New World.(It is a full moon on Sunday, February 28, 2010 according to a full moon calendar).
- Memory Lane presumably set a day or two following Caroline's encounter with Katherine.
- Kill or Be Killed takes place directly or hours following Memory Lane.
- Plan B takes place at least 5 days following the previous episode.
- Masquerade and Rose take place over the course of 2 days.
- Katerina takes place a week or so after the events of the previous episode.
- The Sacrifice takes place a few days following the previous episode.
- By the Light of the Moon takes place at least a few days after the previous episode (It is a full moon on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 according to a full moon calendar).
- The Descent through The Sun Also Rises covers an entire month (It is a full moon on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 according to a full moon calendar).
- As I Lay Dying takes place 2 days following Jenna and John's funeral, so its May 1st, if its 3 days since the last full moon on April 28th.
- The first half of season 2 (first 11 episodes) covers about a month worth of story set during February/March 2010. A month passes between Bad Moon Rising and By the Light of the Moon. In As I Lay Dying it's currently the beginning of May 2010.
- Season Two Body Count
- Season Two Soundtrack
- The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Second Season (DVD)
- Season One
- Season Three
- Season Four
- Season Five
- Season Six