|The Vampire Diaries and The Originals Wiki team makes every effort to maintain professional courtesy and provide sources of information for upcoming episodes. However, anyone can edit the The Vampire Diaries and The Originals Wiki. As a result, it is not an accurate spoiler source and should not be cited as such.
Note: Only Sourced returning actors are listed, speculating about returning actors without a valid source WILL BE REMOVED so do NOT add any other actors that haven't been confirmed yet..
The first season of The Vampire Diaries began airing in the United States on Thursday, September 10, 2009. It is a TV adaption of L.J.Smith's series of young adult novels of the same name. There was one week break in October, then two months break from 19. November to January 21. After that, break from February 11 to March 25 and then last 8 episodes had aired.
Four months after the tragic car accident that killed their parents, 17-year-old Elena Gilbert and her 15-year-old brother, Jeremy, are still adjusting to their new reality. Elena has always been the star student; beautiful, popular and involved with school and friends, but now she finds herself struggling to hide her grief from the world. Elena and Jeremy are now living with their cool-but-overwhelmed Aunt Jenna, who is doing her best to be a surrogate parent.
Elena manages to find some comfort with her familiar social circle – best friend Bonnie, frenemy Caroline, and former boyfriend Matt, but Jeremy is on a more dangerous path, hanging out with the stoners and using drugs to hide his pain. Jeremy is also trying to figure out why Matt's sister, Vicki, is suddenly rejecting him and hanging out with Jeremy's rival, Tyler.
As the school year begins at Mystic Falls High School, Elena and her friends are fascinated by a handsome and mysterious new student, Stefan Salvatore. Stefan and Elena are immediately drawn to one another, although Elena is puzzled by Stefan's increasingly bizarre behavior when he appears suddenly at the cemetery where her parents are buried. What she doesn't realize is that Stefan is hiding a dark, deadly secret of his own – the fact that he's a 161 year old vampire. At a bonfire party the next night, Elena and Stefan are just getting to know each other when chaos erupts after Vicki is attacked and left bleeding from a savage bite to the neck.
Fearing that he knows who is responsible for the attack, Stefan returns home and finds his older brother, Damon, whom he hasn't seen for 15 years. Damon is also a vampire, and the two brothers have a long and bitter history. Damon ridicules Stefan for rejecting their legacy of violence and brutality, but he understands his brother's obsession with Elena, since she looks exactly like a woman Stefan loved more than a century ago; a woman that Damon tried to make his own. Now these two vampire brothers – one good, one evil – are at war for Elena's soul and for the souls of her friends, family and all the residents of Mystic Falls, Virginia.
Based on the series of books by L. J. Smith, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is from Alloy Entertainment and Bonanza Productions Inc in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Kevin Williamson ("Scream," "Dawson's Creek"), Julie Plec ("Kyle XY," "Wasteland"), Leslie Morgenstein ("Gossip Girl," "Private") and Bob Levy ("Gossip Girl," "Privileged")
- Chapter I: The Vicki Chapter: (Ep. 101 - 107) This chapter deals with the return of Damon Salvatore and his shady influence over the events in the town and most particularly on Vicki Donovan. Stefan wants to get to know Elena Gilbert, who looks identical to the vampire he and his brother loved in 1864. As Damon wreaks havoc in town, he turns Vicki into a vampire. As she was about to kill Jeremy and Elena, Stefan stakes her in front of them. Damon offers to compel away the memories of Vicki's death from Jeremy, which gives Stefan hope for his brother.
- The main antagonist of this chapter is Damon Salvatore.
- Chapter II: The Tomb Chapter: (Ep. 108 - 114) This chapter deals with the aftermath of Vicki's death and the revelation of Damon's master plan: opening the tomb of vampires underneath Fell's Church to release Katherine Pierce. Despite Annabelle, daughter of the Tomb vampire Pearl, and her plans to open the tomb, Damon succeeds with Stefan, Elena, Bonnie, and Grams' help to get in and out of the tomb before the barriers went back up. Shocked Katherine was never in the tomb, Damon is heartbroken as Grams dies from using to much power for the spell, which brought down the barrier in full, allowing the Tomb Vampires to escape.
- Chapter III: The Lineage Chapter: (Ep. 115 - 122) This chapter deals with the aftermath of the opening of the tomb, the release of the tomb vampires and Elena's true parentage. John Gilbert is in town to get rid of the tomb vampires at the Founder's Day celebration with the Gilbert Device, a weapon to immobilize vampires through pain from their heightened hearing. After confirming he is Elena's father, John later at the Gilbert House tries to explain his motives, only for Katherine, posing as Elena, to cut his fingers off, removing his Gilbert Ring, and she stabs John, just as Elena walks inside of the house.
- The main antagonists of this season are Katherine Pierce, John Gilbert and Damon Salvatore.
- Main article: Antagonists in Season 1
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert (22/22) / Katherine Pierce (4/22) (1x22 onwards)*
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore (22/22)
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore (22/22)
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert (21/22)
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes (17/22)
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan (17/22)
- Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers (16/22)
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett (16/22)
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood (11/22)
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman (7/22) (1x14 onwards)
- Kayla Ewell as Vicki Donovan (7/22) (1x01 - 1x10, picture cameo in 1x15, corpse in 1x17)**
Note 1: *Appears as a recurring character for 1x06, 1x13, and 1x20.
Note 2: **Appears as a regular character through 1x10.
- Malese Jow as Anna (11/22)
- Marguerite MacIntyre as Liz Forbes (10/22)
- Rob Pralgo as Mayor Richard Lockwood (8/22)
- Kelly Hu as Pearl (7/22)
- Jasmine Guy as Sheila Bennett (5/22)
- David Anders as John Gilbert (5/22)
- Sterling Sulieman as Harper (5/22)
- Chris Johnson as Logan Fell (5/22)
- Susan Walters as Carol Lockwood (5/22)
- Mia Kirshner as Isobel Flemming (4/22)
- Chris William Martin as Zach Salvatore (4/22)
- Melinda Clarke as Kelly Donovan (4/22)
- Bianca Lawson as Emily Bennett (4/22)
- Benjamin Ayres as William Tanner (3/22)
- Sean Faris as Ben McKittrick (3/22)
- Unknown (2/22) / Dillon Casey (1/22) as Noah (3/22)
- James Remar as Giuseppe Salvatore (2/22)
- Stephen Martines as Frederick (2/22)
- Joe Knezevich as Johnathan Gilbert (2/22)
- Justin Smith as Duke (2/22)
- Jeni Perillo as Bethanne (2/22)
- Jasmine Burke as Birdy Mae (2/22)
- Arielle Kebbel as Lexi Branson (1/22)
- Gina Torres as Bree (1/22)
- Brandon Quinn as Lee (1/22)
- Amanda Detmer as Trudie Peterson (1/22)
- Terri James as Nurse Haynes (1/22)
- Ric Reitz as Barnette Lockwood (1/22)
- Evan Gamble as Henry (1/22)
- Brian Ames as Billy (1/22)
- Mike Erwin as Charlie (1/22)
Episode List: 2009 - 2010
|Pilot||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec||Director: Marcos Siega||September 10, 2009||#01x01|
|Four months after the tragic car accident that killed their parents, Elena Gilbert and her brother, Jeremy are still trying to move on with their lives. As the school year begins, Elena is fascinated by a mysterious new student, Stefan Salvatore. The two are immediately drawn to one another, not knowing that Stefan is a centuries-old vampire. When Stefan brother Damon arrives in Mystic Falls, an old rivalry between the two begins, that could be the ruin of Elena and the town comes to light.|
|The Night of the Comet||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec||Director: Marcos Siega||September 17, 2009||#01x02|
|As Mystic Falls prepares for a festival to celebrate the passing of a comet, Vicki is in the hospital recovering from the attack that she can barely remember. Stefan goes to the hospital and tries to use his abilities to make sure Vicki doesn't remember what really happened, but his attempt is cut short when Vicki's brother Matt arrives. Elena meets Damon for the first time, who reveals surprising information about Stefan's past.|
|Friday Night Bites||Writer: Barbie Kligman & Bryan M. Holdman||Director: John Dahl||September 24, 2009||#01x03|
|Elena tries to ignore Bonnie's warnings about the disturbing vibes she got from Stefan. Tyler tries to embarrass Stefan by throwing a football at him, but Stefan effortlessly catches and passes the ball back, impressing everyone with his skill. When Stefan tries out for the team, Mr. Tanner reluctantly lets Stefan join the football team. Elena invites Stefan and Bonnie to dinner, hoping that the two will bond, but the evening is disrupted by the unexpected and unwelcome arrival of Damon and Caroline. Finally, the town is shocked by an act of violence.|
|Family Ties||Writer: Andrew Kreisberg & Brian Young||Director: Guy Ferland||October 1, 2009||#01x04|
|Elena asks Stefan to escort her to the town's annual Founder's Party. Vicki gets Tyler to ask her to the party, then accuses him of trying to hide their relationship from his family. Zach reveals a useful family secret to Stefan. At the party, Damon tells Elena a story about the Salvatore family's past, leaving Elena with questions that Stefan refuses to answer. Finally, Stefan takes action to get Damon out of his life for good.|
|You're Undead to Me||Writer: Sean Reycraft & Gabrielle Stanton||Director: Kevin Bray||October 8, 2009||#01x05|
|Stefan is hopeful that his plan to get rid of Damon is working. Elena and Jenna are concerned about Jeremy's relationship with Vicki. Stefan decides to reveal parts of his past to Elena. At a fund-raising car wash, Bonnie is surprised by abilities she didn't know she possessed, and seeks advice from her grandmother. Finally, Elena hears a disturbing story that took place in the 1950's about the Salvatore family from a stranger which gives Elena more doubts about Stefan.|
|Lost Girls||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec||Director: Marcos Siega||October 15, 2009||#01x06|
|Elena demands that Stefan explain the frightening events that have been happening in Mystic Falls. In flashbacks, Stefan explains how his rivalry with Damon began. Back in the present, Damon impulsively takes control of Vicki’s future, and a confused and frightened Vicki runs away. Finally, Sheriff Forbes and Mayor Lockwood take steps to protect the town.|
|Haunted||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec (teleplay) Andrew Kreisberg (story)||Director: Ernest R. Dickerson||October 29, 2009||#01x07|
|As Vicki's behavior becomes more dangerous, Stefan tries to help her. Elena tries to convince Jeremy to stay away from Vicki. Caroline gives Bonnie a necklace she took from Damon to wear with her Halloween costume, and when Damon tries to take it back, he is surprised by Bonnie's abilities. Bonnie discusses the incident with Grams and learns more about her family's past. Trying to cheer Vicki up, Matt takes her to the high school's haunted house, but the evening soon takes a terrifying turn.|
|162 Candles||Writer: Barbie Kligman & Gabrielle Stanton||Director: Rick Bota||November 5, 2009||#01x08|
|On his birthday, Stefan is surprised by a visit from Lexi, one of his oldest friends. Still upset by the events at the Halloween haunted house, Elena does her best to stay away from Stefan, but Lexi gives her some unsolicited relationship advice. Elena and Jenna are surprised by a change in Jeremy's behavior which has changed for the better. At Damon's compulsive insistence, Caroline tries to get his medallion back from Bonnie. Finally, Damon's offer to help Sheriff Forbes has sudden and tragic results.|
|History Repeating||Writer: Bryan M. Holdman & Brian Young||Director: Marcos Siega||November 12, 2009||#01x09|
|Jeremy gets a break from the mysterious new history teacher, Alaric Saltzman, and introduces Alaric to Jenna. Bonnie is having terrifying dreams about one of her ancestors. Despite Elena's efforts to smooth things over, Bonnie and Caroline continue to argue over the medallion. When the girls hold a séance to help them decide what to do, the results are stranger than any of them expected. Matt comes to Caroline's aid when she needs a friend. Damon finally reveals to Stefan the stunning reason he has returned to Mystic Falls.|
|The Turning Point||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec & Barbie Kligman||Director: J. Miller Tobin||November 19, 2009||#01x10|
|After reading the journal left by one of the Gilbert ancestors, Jeremy is inspired to return to his hobby of sketching fantasy creatures, a talent he had abandoned when his parents died. Much to the surprise of their friends, Matt and Caroline continue to hang out together. When Sheriff Forbes tells Damon there has been another attack, he offers to track down the killer and learns a startling piece of information about the town's founding families. Alaric steps in to help during an awkward scene with Jeremy, Tyler and Mayor Lockwood. Stefan and Elena come to a new understanding, but everything changes when Elena accidentally makes a devastating discovery.|
|Bloodlines||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec (teleplay)
Sean Reycraft (story)
|Director: David Barrett||January 21, 2010||#01x11|
|Damon takes a trip to Georgia, where he surprises an old flame, Bree and enlists her help to figure out how to open the tomb. In the process, Damon comes face to face with someone who is determined to make him pay for past wrongs. Stefan opens up to Grams in his effort to help Bonnie overcome her fears and accept her powers. While researching his history paper in the public library, Jeremy Gilbert meets a cute-but-geeky girl named Anna who has her own theories on the folklore of Mystic Falls. When Damon returns from Georgia, Stefan is waiting with news that will change their world.|
|Unpleasantville||Writer: Barbie Kligman & Brian Young||Director: Liz Friedlander||January 28, 2010||#01x12|
|As Stefan and Damon try to figure out the identity of the new vampire in town, Stefan gives Elena jewelry filled with vervain to protect her family and friends. Hurting for money, Matt takes a job at the Mystic Grill, where former high school football-star Ben, works as a bartender. Ben comes to Bonnie’s aid when he notices Damon is bothering her. Damon and Stefan accompany Elena to a school dance with a 1950s’ theme, where Alaric introduces himself to Damon.|
|Children of the Damned||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec||Director: Marcos Siega||February 4, 2010||#01x13|
|In flashbacks, Stefan and Damon recall the long-ago actions taken by townspeople including their father, Giuseppe Salvatore and Pearl leading to the devastating events that caused the rift in their relationship. In the present, Bonnie's date with Ben takes a frightening turn. Elena helps Stefan as he and Damon race to find the missing journal that belonged to Elena's ancestor. Stefan learns the reason behind Alaric's interest in both the journal and the town's history. Damon discovers that an old acquaintance has returned to town with an agenda he understands.|
|Fool Me Once||Writer: Brett Conrad||Director: Marcos Siega||February 11, 2010||#01x14|
|Stefan helps Elena and Bonnie out of a dangerous situation. Jeremy asks Anna to a party in the woods, unaware that she has her own reasons for wanting to meet him there. When Stefan, Damon and Elena work with Bonnie and Grams to open the tomb, everyone is shocked by what they discover.|
|A Few Good Men||Writer: Brian Young||Director: Joshua Butler||March 25, 2010||#01x15|
|Matt and Caroline are surprised by the sudden reappearance of Matt's mother Kelly (guest star Clarke). Stefan and Elena are worried about Damon's new attitude. Damon is asked by Sheriff Forbes to take part in a fund-raising bachelor auction. Alaric discovers shocking secrets from his own past. With help from Jenna and Stefan, Elena is determined to find out everything she can about her birth mother, but the truth may be more than she can handle.|
|There Goes the Neighborhood||Writer: Bryan Oh & Andrew Chambliss||Director: Kevin Bray||April 1, 2010||#01x16|
|Anna brings a surprising guest along when she pays a visit to Damon. Elena and Stefan go on an awkward double date with Caroline and Matt, but Stefan and Matt find they have some common ground. Jenna reunites with her old friend Kelly, and Jeremy's relationship with Anna takes an unexpected direction.|
|Let The Right One In||Writer: Brian Young |
Julie Plec (teleplay)
|Director: Dennis Smith||April 8, 2010||#01x17|
|When Stefan and Damon make a dangerous new enemy, Stefan suddenly finds himself in a perilous situation. Damon and Elena try to convince Alaric to work with them to help Stefan. Matt is hopeful that his mom, Kelly, may be back to stay. After her car breaks down in a storm, Caroline make a horrific discovery that shocks everyone in town.|
|Under Control||Writer: Barbie Kligman & Andrew Chambliss||Director: David von Ancken||April 15, 2010||#01x18|
|While Stefan struggles to control his new situation, Elena and Jeremy are surprised by a visit from their uncle, John Gilbert. Alaric has an awkward talk with Elena about Isobel. At a Founder's Day event, Stefan displays a rare party attitude and Damon's attempt to find out why Uncle John has returned to town takes an ugly turn. An incident at the party causes trouble between Matt and Tyler, and the relationship between Matt and his mother, Kelly, reaches a new low. Meanwhile, Elena's effort to comfort Jeremy falls short and he decides to take matters into his own hands.|
|Miss Mystic Falls||Writer: Bryan Oh & Caroline Dries||Director: Marcos Siega||April 22, 2010||#01x19|
|At the Founder's Day Gala, Elena and Caroline compete for the title of "Miss Mystic Falls" against other girls from town, including Tina Fell and Amber Bradley. Elena is happy to have Bonnie back in town, but Bonnie still has issues to work through. John Gilbert attempts to intimidate Damon, but his plan doesn't have the desired effect. Damon discovers that Stefan is hiding a dangerous secret that could impact everyone in town|
|Blood Brothers||Writer: Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec||Director: Liz Friedlander||April 29, 2010||#01x20|
|While Stefan struggles to come to terms with his past, both he and Damon reveal parts of their history to Elena, until she finally learns the truth about how they became vampires. Pearl has an ugly confrontation with John Gilbert. Damon and Alaric try to find a mysterious invention before John does. The friendship and flirtation between Jeremy and Anna continues to grow.|
|Isobel (episode)||Writer: Caroline Dries & Brian Young||Director: J. Miller Tobin||May 6, 2010||#01x21|
|Isobel returns to town and stuns Alaric with her attitude and her demands that he arrange a meeting with Elena. When mother and daughter finally meet, Isobel refuses to answer most of Elena's questions, but reveals that she will stop at nothing to find the mysterious invention Johnathan Gilbert has been searching for. Isobel's dangerous actions lead Stefan, Damon and Bonnie to step in and help Elena deal with the situation.|
|Founder's Day||Writer: Bryan Oh & Andrew Chambliss||Director: Marcos Siega||May 13, 2010||#01x22|
|The town gets ready for the Founders' Day Celebration, which is the anniversary of the founding of the town. With period costumes, Civil War reenactments and parades with floats, the town will also be filled with grief when someone dies. Meanwhile secrets will be revealed about the big event that connects the town back to 1864. Finally an unexpected someone comes back to Mystic Falls with a devious plot up their sleeves.
- This season has ten series regulars since it started. Stefan and Damon are the only main characters to appear in every episode of the series to date.
- Vicki Donovan (Kayla Ewell) is the first major character to be killed on the show. She departs the cast in the seventh episode of the season, Haunted.
- In an interview Kayla Ewell talked about a possible return for Vicki. She stated that Vicki's death was something that needed to happen in order for Jeremy to go through a transformation and that "Anything can happen on a vampire show. Dying doesn't necessarily mean that someone's gone forever.". In another interview she stated that she´s still under contract, but executive producer Kevin Williamson stated in another that they have no plans to bring her back.
- Matt Davis (Alaric Saltzman) joins the cast as a recurring character in History Repeating, joining the cast as a regular character in the middle of Season One, replacing Kayla Ewell.
- The CW has formally picked up nine more episodes for The Vampire Diaries' first season, taking it to a full season of 22 episodes.
- During the Season, several characters discovered the secret of the Salvatore brothers :
- Elena found out that Stefan and Damon are vampires in episode 5 You're Undead To Me.
- Bonnie found out in episode 9 History Repeating.
- Caroline found out in episode 3 Friday Night Bites, but then is compelled to forget.
- Vicki found out and was turned into a vampire in episode 6 Lost Girls.
- Jeremy found out in episode 18 Under Control.
- Alaric already knew.
- Paralleling the 1st book in the trilogy, Damon is the main antagonist during this season.
- This season is very loosely based on The Awakening and The Struggle.
- The CW announced an early renewal for Season Two of The Vampire Diaries on Tuesday, February 16, 2010, along with 5 other popular CW TV shows.
- ↑ Kayla Ewell, Interview with Michael Ausiello http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/10/29/exclusive-the-shocking-story-behind-last-nights-killer-vampire-diaries/
- ↑ She told E! Online's Party Girl Cristina Gibson
- ↑ http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b152937_Is_Taylor_Swift_Headed_to__i_Vampire_Diaries__i__.html