|The Vampire Diaries and The Originals Wiki team makes every effort to maintain professional courtesy and provide sources of information for upcoming episodes. However, anyone can edit the The Vampire Diaries and The Originals Wiki. As a result, it is not an accurate spoiler source and should not be cited as such.
Note: Only Sourced returning actors are listed, speculating about returning actors without a valid source WILL BE REMOVED so do NOT add any other actors that haven't been confirmed yet..
Season seven of the THE VAMPIRE DIARIES found our heroes rebuilding their world without Elena. Confronted by the prospect of a decades-long wait for Elena’s return, Damon (Ian Somerhalder) struggled with his heartbreak and relied on his contentious but profound friendship with Bonnie (Kat Graham). Stefan (Paul Wesley) and Caroline (Candice King) began their much-anticipated relationship, which was complicated by Caroline’s unexpected role as surrogate mother to the infant twins left behind when Alaric (Matt Davis) lost his wife. Meanwhile, Damon pursued a vendetta against his mother Lily (guest star Annie Wersching), who had abandoned her sons to care for a vicious brood of vampire-witches called the Heretics – one of whom, Valerie (Elizabeth Blackmore), had loved Stefan ever since their romantic encounter in a previous century. Lily’s misguided choices ultimately caused her own tragic demise and put Mystic Falls in the sights of a formidable nemesis: Rayna Cruz (guest star Leslie-Anne Huff), a supernatural vampire hunter. Rayna targeted Stefan, forcing him to go on the run and leaving Caroline to make a new start with Alaric. Determined to defeat Rayna, Damon enlisted the help of the Armory, a shadowy group with family ties to Bonnie’s boyfriend Enzo (Michael Malarkey). But the Armory’s deeper agenda robbed Bonnie of her magic and jeopardized her life. To remedy the crisis, Damon and Enzo had to venture into the Armory’s occult vault, where an evil presence overcame them. The triangle of Stefan, Caroline and Alaric will team up with Bonnie in season eight to search for the two most important men in her life – even though Damon and Enzo may be long past saving. THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Outerbanks Entertainment, Alloy Entertainment, Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios. The series was developed by Kevin Williamson (“The Following,” “Scream”) & Julie Plec (“The Originals,” “Kyle XY,” “Wasteland”), who serve as executive producers along with Leslie Morgenstein (“Gossip Girl,” “Pretty Little Liars”) and Caroline Dries (“Melrose Place,” “Smallville”).
- Chapter I: The ___ Chapter (Ep. TBA):
- Chapter II: The ___ Chapter (Ep. TBA):
- Chapter III: The ___ Chapter (Ep. TBA):
- Lily Rose Mumford as Josie Saltzman (0/16)
- Tierney Mumford as Lizzie Saltzman (0/16)
- Demetrius Bridges as Dorian (0/16)
- Tristin Mays as Sarah Nelson (0/16)
- Katrina Norman as Cindy (0/16)
- Dietrich Teschner as Buck (0/16)
- Marguerite MacIntyre as Liz Forbes (0/16)
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood (0/16)
- TBA as The Armory's Monster (0/16)
- TBA as Arcadius (0/16)
- TBA as Lou (0/16)
- TBA as Francine (0/16) 
- TBA as Lawrence (0/16) 
- TBA as Tammy (0/16) 
- TBA as Tara (0/16) 
- TBA as Violet (0/16) 
Episodes List: 2016-2017
|Hello Brother||Writer: Julie Plec & Kevin Williamson||Director: Michael A. Allowitz||October 21, 2016||#8x01|
|Today Will Be Different||Writer: Melinda Hsu Taylor||Director: Pascal Verschooris||October 28, 2016||#8x02|
|You Decided That I Was Worth Saving||Writer:||Director:||November 4, 2016||#8x03|
|[]||Writer: Neil Reynolds & Brett Matthews||Director: Rob Hardy||November 11, 2016||#8x04|
|[]||Writer:||Director: Paul Wesley||2016||#8x06|
|[]||Writer: Matthew D'Ambrosio||Director:||TBA||#8x08|
|[]||Writer:||Director: Ian Somerhalder||TBA||#8x09|
|[]||Writer: Julie Plec & Kevin Williamson||Director: Julie Plec||2017||#8x16|
- The series was officially renewed on March 11, 2016 along with The Originals, Arrow, Supernatural, Reign, The 100, The Flash, Jane The Virgin.
- Julie Plec on her Twitter account announced on Friday May 20, 2016 that she starts work on Monday May 23, 2016 for TVD Season 8 and TO Season 4. 
- Candice King on her Instagram account announced on Monday June 27, 2016 that they start filming the eighth season of The Vampire Diaries on July 18, 2016. 
- Michael A. Allowitz is the director of the first episode of the eighth season. On his Twitter account he has announced on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 scouting locations for the filming the first episode. 
- Michael Malarkey on his Twitter account announced on Wednesday July 20, 2016 filming the first episode of the eighth season. 
- Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec wrote the first episode.
- Neil Reynolds and Brett Matthews are the writers and Rob Hardy is the director of the fourth episode of the eighth season. 
- Neil Reynolds on his Twitter account announced on Sunday August 21, 2016 start shooting the fourth episode of the eighth season on Monday August 22, 2016. 
- Paul Wesley will direct the sixth episode of the season.
- Matthew D'Ambrosio is the writer of the eighth episode of the eighth season. 
- Ian Somerhalder will direct the ninth episode of the season.
- Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson will also write the final episode of the season and thus the series overall, which will be directed by Julie Plec.
- Every Season 8 episode title will be a line of dialogue from the first season.
- As of this season, The Vampire Diaries officially becomes the longest running vampire show beating Buffy the Vampire Slayer (144 episodes) and True Blood (80 episodes) which both ended after 7 seasons.
- According to Julie Plec The Vampire Diaries’ end date depends on Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder.
Julie Plec: "I finally realized that my destiny on this show, creatively, is tied in to Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley. And I mean that in a really good way. As long as those boys who I now consider my friends want to keep telling the story, then I won't walk away from telling the story." 
- Kat Graham will leave the show after this season. 
- Ian Somerhalder on his twitter account renounced his announcement that the eighth season will be the last of The Vampire Diaries, but is likely to be his last season. 
- After a flurry of announcements (and some retractions) by cast members in the past couple of months that the upcoming eighth season will be the series’ last, the CW president Mark Pedowitz said that “no determination” has been made yet. “In my dreams it isn’t, but we will see how the audience will react,” he said. Also not set yet is the size of the show’s eighth season. That will be done in the next few weeks. 
- Finally, at Comic-Con the eighth season was confirmed as final. 
- Season 8 will be the first time to have Damon start out as the starting antagonist of a season since the series start in Season 1 with the Pilot.
- This will be the first season of The Vampire Diaries to have its premiere on a Friday night, October 21. After the previous 7 being on Thursdays.
- The season 8 premiere will be the first not to be during the first week of October since Season 3 which was the first not have a September season premiere. The late October premiere could be a way of TVD not to be to far head in episode count before the January 2017 Season 4 premiere of The Originals.
- This season will have least number of main cast members in the series history with 6. Alaric is the last ordinary human on the show in main cast with Bonnie being what seems for a former witch but still human. While the rest of the main cast are all vampires with Stefan, Damon, Caroline and Enzo.
- This will be the second season not to feature Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert but she could possibly return in flashbacks before appearing in present day scenes leading into the Season 8 series finale in 2017 when Ian Somerhalder and Kat Graham will leave at the end of the season. If Nina is available in March or April 2017 to shoot scenes as Elena. If the series hadn't been renewed for this season Nina Dobrev wouldn't have been able to film anything because she was shooting XXX: The Return Of Xander Cage playing Backy Clearidge in Toronto.
- The CW is breaking up The Vampire Diaries and spin-off The Originals. TVD is going to be staying on Friday nights, where it shifted earlier, while The Originals has been pushed to midseason. 
- Nina Dobrev has said in an interview before Season Seven that she's willing to come back for the series finale to conclude her story on a happy note. Though it's possible they could get her to return earlier as Elena for flashbacks or going inside her head but after some time has passed. It was confirmed that Nina Dobrev will return, before the season finale and for more than one episode, but we don't know how many yet.
- 10 former cast members will be returning.
- The Armory's Monster, the creature that corrupted Damon and Enzo, is the Big Bad of this season according to the previews and show runners.
- There are plans for Nina Dobrev, Steven R. McQueen and Michael Trevino to make a return.