|The Vampire Diaries and The Originals Wiki team makes every effort to maintain professional courtesy and provide sources of information for upcoming episodes. However, anyone can edit the The Vampire Diaries and The Originals Wiki. As a result, it is not an accurate spoiler source and should not be cited as such.
Note: Only Sourced returning actors are listed, speculating about returning actors without a valid source WILL BE REMOVED so do NOT add any other actors that haven't been confirmed yet..
Season seven of the THE VAMPIRE DIARIES found our heroes rebuilding their world without Elena. Confronted by the prospect of a decades-long wait for Elena’s return, Damon (Ian Somerhalder) struggled with his heartbreak and relied on his contentious but profound friendship with Bonnie (Kat Graham). Stefan (Paul Wesley) and Caroline (Candice King) began their much-anticipated relationship, which was complicated by Caroline’s unexpected role as surrogate mother to the infant twins left behind when Alaric (Matt Davis) lost his wife. Meanwhile, Damon pursued a vendetta against his mother Lily (guest star Annie Wersching), who had abandoned her sons to care for a vicious brood of vampire-witches called the Heretics – one of whom, Valerie (guest star Elizabeth Blackmore), had loved Stefan ever since their romantic encounter in a previous century. Lily’s misguided choices ultimately caused her own tragic demise and put Mystic Falls in the sights of a formidable nemesis: Rayna Cruz (guest star Leslie-Anne Huff), a supernatural vampire hunter. Rayna targeted Stefan, forcing him to go on the run and leaving Caroline to make a new start with Alaric. Determined to defeat Rayna, Damon enlisted the help of the Armory, a shadowy group with family ties to Bonnie’s boyfriend Enzo (Michael Malarkey). But the Armory’s deeper agenda robbed Bonnie of her magic and jeopardized her life. To remedy the crisis, Damon and Enzo had to venture into the Armory’s occult vault, where an evil presence overcame them. The triangle of Stefan, Caroline and Alaric will team up with Bonnie in season eight to search for the two most important men in her life – even though Damon and Enzo may be long past saving. THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Outerbanks Entertainment, Alloy Entertainment, Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios. The series was developed by Kevin Williamson (“The Following,” “Scream”) & Julie Plec (“The Originals,” “Kyle XY,” “Wasteland”), who serve as executive producers along with Leslie Morgenstein (“Gossip Girl,” “Pretty Little Liars”) and Caroline Dries (“Melrose Place,” “Smallville”).
- Chapter II: The Bell Chapter (Ep. 8x08-):
- Chapter III: The ___ Chapter (Ep. TBA):
- Main article: Antagonists in Season 8
- Nathalie Kelley as Sybil (9/16)
- Kristen Gutoskie as Seline (7/16)
- Tierney Mumford as Lizzie Saltzman (7/16) (voice in 8x02)
- Lily Rose Mumford as Josie Saltzman (6/16)
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert (5/16) (archive footage in 8x01, 8x02, 8x03, 8x07 & 8x09)
- Demetrius Bridges as Dorian (4/16)
- Joel Gretsch as Peter Maxwell (4/16)
- Allison Scagliotti as Georgie (4/16)
- Wolé Parks as Cade (3/16)
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood (3/16) (corpse in 8x04)
- Sammi Hanratty as Violet Fell (2/16)
- Marguerite MacIntyre as Liz Forbes (1/16)
- Tristin Mays as Sarah Nelson (1/16)
- Alexandra Chando as Tara (1/16)
- Aisha Duran as Virginia St. John (1/16)
- Dietrich Teschner as Buck (1/16)
- Katrina Norman as Cindy (1/16)
- Jonathan Williams as Sheriff Jenkins (1/16)
- Julia Vasi as Trudy (1/16)
- Chris Greene as Deputy (1/16)
- TBA as Beatrice (0/16)
- TBA as Janie (0/16)
- TBA as Mr. Fell (0/16)
Episodes List: 2016-2017
|Hello, Brother||Writer: Julie Plec & Kevin Williamson||Director: Michael A. Allowitz||October 21, 2016||#8x01|
|Months after Damon and Enzo mysteriously vanished from the Armory vault, Stefan tirelessly pushes forward with their search, while Bonnie struggles holding onto hope that they will be found. Meanwhile, a dangerous encounter with an unexpected visitor leaves Caroline and Alaric fearing that someone – or something – may be targeting their family. Finally, after following some mysterious clues, Stefan realizes that whatever has a hold of his brother may have a more damaging grip over him than he could have ever imagined.
|Today Will Be Different||Writer: Melinda Hsu Taylor||Director: Pascal Verschooris||October 28, 2016||#8x02|
|After learning that someone from Stefan's past may be Damon and Enzo's next target, Stefan, Bonnie and Caroline head to North Carolina. There, Bonnie takes drastic measures in an attempt to break Enzo free of whatever has a hold over him. At the Armory, Alaric and Georgie stumble upon a mysterious symbol that may be related to the supernatural force controlling Damon and Enzo. Finally, Caroline gets an unexpected surprise from Stefan.
|You Decided That I Was Worth Saving||Writer: Chad Fiveash & James Stoteraux||Director: Michael Karasick||November 4, 2016||#8x03|
|As Enzo continues to fight the control over him, Bonnie finds herself at the center of a deadly game and forced to make a heart wrenching decision involving two of the most important people in her life. At the Armory, Alaric researches a mysterious artifact that he hopes will help in their fight to get Damon and Enzo back. Finally, Damon's downward spiral leads him to Tyler who attempts to talk some sense into him before it's too late. Stefan and Caroline also appear.
|An Eternity of Misery||Writer: Neil Reynolds & Brett Matthews||Director: Rob Hardy||November 11, 2016||#8x04|
|Tasked with finding a mysterious artifact, Damon's latest mission takes him to Texas where a violent run-in with Peter Maxwell leads to a surprising revelation. Meanwhile, after gaining the upper hand in their fight to save Damon and Enzo, Stefan and Alaric team up and uncover the origins of the mysterious force they’re up against. Finally, Matt returns to the fray after his past and present collide in an unexpected way. Caroline also appears.
|Coming Home Was a Mistake||Writer: Celine Geiger||Director: James Thompson||November 18, 2016||#8x05|
|Spiraling down a dangerous path of self-destruction, Damon's latest actions prove he may be beyond the point of return. Unwilling to give up on his brother, Stefan is forced to make a gut-wrenching decision that threatens to change their relationship forever. Elsewhere, Bonnie gets advice from Caroline on how to break through to Enzo, while Matt attempts to decipher a mysterious box of messages that he's received. Finally, after tragedy strikes close to home, Stefan and the others are forced to remember what matters most to them. Alaric also appears.
|Detoured On Some Random Backwoods Path to Hell||Writer: Alan McElroy||Director: Paul Wesley||December 2, 2016||#8x06|
|When her children become the focus of the Siren’s latest plan, Caroline takes drastic measures to ensure nothing gets in the way of keeping her family safe. In a race against the clock, Stefan pledges to do everything he can to save the twins, while tensions between Alaric and Caroline boil over, leading them to face some harsh realities about the future of their family. Meanwhile, when Enzo finds himself unable to fight off Sybil’s latest move, Stefan dives into his subconscious and along the way, sets off a chain of events that leaves him faced with a life-changing decision. Bonnie and Matt also appear.
|The Next Time I Hurt Somebody, It Could Be You||Writer: Shukree Hassan Tilghman||Director: Tanya Hamilton||December 9, 2016||#8x07|
|Faced with the fallout from his interaction with Cade, Stefan is determined to have one thing go right – Christmas Eve with Caroline. However, when Damon and Sybil crash their Christmas Eve dinner, which had been joined by Alaric, Matt and Peter, things quickly take a dark and twisted turn. Meanwhile, in a series of flashbacks to Stefan's past, Cade's tempt to entice him with his mysterious agenda leaves Stefan faced with an unimaginable decision. Bonnie and Enzo also appear.
|We Have History Together||Writer: Matthew D'Ambrosio||Director: Ian Somerhalder||January 13, 2017||#8x08|
|Stefan and Damon attend an anger management support group looking for their next victim. Sybil is still alive and teaching a group of high school students who she’ll later use as leverage to get Caroline to locate a historical artifact that can be used against her. Meanwhile, Stefan and Damon continue their commitment to Cade as they test the morals of a young doctor, Tara. Matt also appears.
|The Simple Intimacy of the Near Touch||Writer: Neil Reynolds & Penny Cox||Director: Geoff Shotz||January 20, 2017||#8x09|
|Stefan and Damon return to Mystic Falls at Sybil’s request as she is still in search of the historical artifact. Bonnie returns from Paris wearing a vile of Enzo’s blood making Caroline, wonder if she will become a vampire. Stefan, Damon, Caroline, Bonnie and Enzo all attend the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant where Sybil continues to taunt Damon with memories of Elena.
|Nostalgia's a Bitch||Writer: Brett Matthews||Director: Kellie Cyrus||January 27, 2017||#8x10|
|Sybil enacts revenge on Damon by putting him in a catatonic state. Caroline and Bonnie enter Damon's mind and run into familiar faces from the past, only to discover Stefan is the key to Damon's fate. It's a race against time for the bell as both Sybil and her sister Seline jockey for its control. Matt also appears.
|You Made a Choice to Be Good||Writer: Celine Geiger & Melinda Hsu Taylor||Director: Carol Banker||February 3, 2017||#8x11|
|Cade returns to Mystic Falls and presents Damon and Stefan with additional assignments, each with unthinkable consequences. Even with tension growing in their friendship, Caroline and Matt do their best to protect the town’s residents from Cade’s appetite for their souls. Bonnie and Enzo hit the road on a romantic trip, taking the bell with them in hopes to keep it safe.
|What Are You?||Writer: Chad Fiveash & James Stoteraux||Director: Darren Genet||February 10, 2017||#8x12|
|In order to save Stefan's soul, Damon makes a deal with Cade to retrieve the Maxwell journal. Alaric and Matt refuse to hand the journal over as it may contain the key to destroying Cade. Caroline desperately tries to connect with Stefan before Cade goes through with his plan.
|The Lies Will Catch Up to You||Writer: Neil Reynolds||Director: Tony Solomons||February 17, 2017||#8x13|
|[]||Writer:||Director: Pascal Verschooris||February 24, 2017||#8x14|
|[]||Writer: Jen Vestuto & Melissa Marlette (story)
Melinda Hsu Taylor (teleplay)
|Director: Chris Grismer||March 3, 2017||#8x15|
|[]||Writer: Julie Plec & Kevin Williamson||Director: Julie Plec||March 10, 2017||#8x16|
|The Vampire Diaries: Forever Yours||Writer:||Director:||March 10, 207||#1x00|
|A treat for the fans, as we go back to re-live the past 8 seasons and say good-bye to this beloved show.
- The series was officially renewed on March 11, 2016 along with The Originals, Arrow, Supernatural, Reign, The 100, The Flash, Jane The Virgin.
- Julie Plec on her Twitter account announced on Friday May 20, 2016 that she starts work on Monday May 23, 2016 for TVD Season 8 and TO Season 4. 
- Candice King on her Instagram account announced on Monday June 27, 2016 that they start filming the eighth season of The Vampire Diaries on July 18, 2016. 
- Michael A. Allowitz is the director of the first episode of the eighth season. On his Twitter account he has announced on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 scouting locations for the filming the first episode. 
- Michael Malarkey on his Twitter account announced on Wednesday July 20, 2016 filming the first episode of the eighth season. 
- Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec wrote the first episode.
- Neil Reynolds and Brett Matthews are the writers and Rob Hardy is the director of the fourth episode of the eighth season. 
- Neil Reynolds on his Twitter account announced on Sunday August 21, 2016 start shooting the fourth episode of the eighth season on Monday August 22, 2016. 
- Paul Wesley is the director of the sixth episode of the season.
- Matthew D'Ambrosio is the writer of the eighth episode of the eighth season. 
- Andi Behring on her Instagram account announced on Thursday October 6, 2016 the end of shooting the eighth episode of the eighth season. 
- Julie Plec on her Twitter account announced on Monday October 10, 2016 filming the ninth episode of the eighth season. 
- Ian Somerhalder is the director of the eighth or the ninth episode of the season.
- Geoff Shotz is the director of the ninth episode of the eighth season. 
- Kellie Cyrus will direct the tenth episode of the season. 
- Carol Banker is the director of the eleventh episode of the eighth season,  Melinda Hsu Taylor and Celine Geiger wrote the episode.
- Neil Reynolds is the writer and Tony Solomons is directing the thirteenth episode of the season.
- Pascal Verschooris is the director of the fourteenth episode of the eighth season.
- Jen Vestuto and Melissa Marlette are the writers of the fifteenth episode of the eighth season. 
- Chris Grismer is the director of the fifteenth episode of the eighth season.
- Julie Plec and Neil Reynolds on their Twitter accounts announced on Friday December 16, 2016 the official wrap on the TVD writers' room.  
- Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson also wrote the final episode of the season and thus the series overall, which will be directed by Julie Plec.  
- The final draft for 816 was finished on January 20, 2017. 
- Every Season 8 episode title will be a line of dialogue from the first season.
- As of this season, The Vampire Diaries officially becomes the longest running vampire show beating Buffy the Vampire Slayer (144 episodes) and True Blood (80 episodes) which both ended after 7 seasons.
- According to Julie Plec The Vampire Diaries’ end date depends on Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder.
Julie Plec: "I finally realized that my destiny on this show, creatively, is tied in to Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley. And I mean that in a really good way. As long as those boys who I now consider my friends want to keep telling the story, then I won't walk away from telling the story." 
- Kat Graham will leave the show after this season. 
- Ian Somerhalder on his twitter account renounced his announcement that the eighth season will be the last of The Vampire Diaries, but is likely to be his last season. 
- After a flurry of announcements (and some retractions) by cast members in the past couple of months that the upcoming eighth season will be the series’ last, the CW president Mark Pedowitz said that “no determination” has been made yet. “In my dreams it isn’t, but we will see how the audience will react,” he said. Also not set yet is the size of the show’s eighth season. That will be done in the next few weeks. 
- Finally, at Comic-Con the eighth season was confirmed as final. 
- Season 8 is the first season to have Damon start out as the starting antagonist of a season since the series start in Season 1 with the Pilot.
- This is the first season of The Vampire Diaries to have its premiere on a Friday night, October 21. After the previous 7 being on Thursdays.
- The season 8 premiere was the first not to be during the first week of October since Season 3 which was the first not have a September season premiere.
- This season has least number of main cast members along with Season Seven, with 7 main cast members. Alaric and Matt are the last ordinary humans on the show in main cast with Bonnie being a witch (formerly a supernatural huntress), while the rest of the main cast are all vampires with Stefan, Damon, Caroline and Enzo.
- This will be the second season not to feature Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert but she could possibly return in flashbacks before appearing in present day scenes leading into the Season 8 series finale in 2017 when Ian Somerhalder and Kat Graham will leave at the end of the season. If Nina is available in March or April 2017 to shoot scenes as Elena. If the series hadn't been renewed for this season Nina Dobrev wouldn't have been able to film anything because she was shooting XXX: The Return Of Xander Cage playing Backy Clearidge in Toronto.
- The CW is breaking up The Vampire Diaries and spin-off The Originals. TVD is going to be staying on Friday nights, where it shifted earlier, while The Originals has been pushed to midseason.
- Nina Dobrev has said in an interview before Season Seven that she's willing to come back for the series finale to conclude her story on a happy note. Though it's possible they could get her to return earlier as Elena for flashbacks or going inside her head but after some time has passed. It was confirmed that Nina Dobrev will return, before the season finale and for more than one episode, but we don't know how many yet.
- 10 former cast members will be returning.
- There are plans for Nina Dobrev, Steven R. McQueen and Michael Trevino to make a return.
- Julie on Nina's return: I feel very good about it! She and I have spoken and I know that she 100 percent wants to be there and I, of course, 100 percent want her to be there, and so it just comes down to stupid things like scheduling. Honestly, let's put it this way: I would be devastated if it weren't to work out, so I have a feeling the cards will be in all our favor. 
- With only 16 episodes, this is the shortest season of the show.