FLASHBACK-- KINGDOM OF NORWAY, 977 A.D. / BELL TOWER OF ST. LOUIS CATHEDRAL
[Five-year-old Freya is sitting in the middle of the floor of Dahlia's cottage as she makes them some grains. She hums as she makes up a plate of food for her, testing part of it by scooping it up with her finger and tasting it before she brings it over to where Freya is seated with a smile]
- DAHLIA: Eat, Freya, or you'll waste away!
[Freya just looks up at her fearfully, but doesn't move. Frustrated, Dahlia kneels in front of her and grabs her arms to force her to pick up her plate, her voice much sharper and aggressive than before]
- DAHLIA: Stubborn child! You need your strength so that I may teach you to use the power that runs strong in our bloodline! That will keep us warm in the cold, give us good health when others fall ill.
[Freya whimpers, and Dahlia shakes her roughly in frustration]
- DAHLIA: With that power, we will defeat our enemies.
[Her demeanor becomes kinder again, and she smiles as she gently caresses Freya's face with her hands]
- DAHLIA: We can stay young and beautiful.
[Freya jerks away from her touch, clearly nervous, but Dahlia takes her hands in her own and squeezes them gently]
- DAHLIA: You need not be afraid. Together, we will be the strongest witches this world has ever seen.
- FREYA: [scared] I want my mama!
[Dahlia looks at her with fake sympathy, and speaks to young Freya bluntly]
- DAHLIA: Your mother didn't want you. She gave you away. This is your home, now. I am your only family.
[She cups Freya's chin with her hand to look in her eyes]
- DAHLIA: And there is no greater strength than family.
[Young Freya looks at her with wide eyes and remains silent as a single tear runs down her cheek]
[In the present day, Freya picks up a fancy card with the Mikaelson "M" embossed on the front from the table in the bell tower of St. Louis Cathedral. Inside the card, in perfect calligraphy, a note reads: "Join us for a family brunch. 11 A.M. Your brother, Klaus." As she re-reads the card, she smiles in excitement]
TITLE CARD & OPENING CREDITS
[Rebekah is sleeping fitfully on the couch at Marcel's apartment, looking distressed. In her dreams, she gets visions in short snippets of her vessel, Eva Sinclair, killing one teenager in the Tremé market and channeling the power of another by carving a sacrificial sigil onto their forehead. After a moment, she awakens with a gasp, and seems disoriented until she gains her bearings. Once she realizes where she is, she becomes confused when she hears the sounds of angry yelling outside of the apartment. Rebekah gets up and moves toward the window to see what is going on when Marcel suddenly rushes downstairs and blocks her from getting any closer to the glass]
- MARCEL: [alarmed] Stay away from the window!
- REBEKAH: [confused] What's all that bloody racket?
- MARCEL: [anxiously] Just stay put! I'll handle it.
- REBEKAH: [incredulously] Handle it? Handle what?
[Marcel runs out the door to the outside of the building, where a sizable group of people have begun congregating around. Some of them are vampires who have made a barrier with their bodies to protect the entrance to the apartment, while others are witches, including Josephine LaRue, all of whom are in various stages of anger]
- MAN 1: We want Eva!
- MARCEL: [furiously] Whatever the problem is, if you don't back up, I guarantee you it's gonna get worse.
- JOSEPHINE: Marcel Gerard. Do you realize you're harboring a renegade witch?
- MARCEL: I don't know what you're talking about.
- JOSEPHINE: Is that a fact?
[Josephine nods toward someone behind him, and he turns to see that Rebekah has come outside to see what is going on]
- MAN 2: There she is!
- MAN 3: Yeah, there she is!
[Marcel looks even more angry as he shoots Josephine a glare. He turns and rushes over to Rebekah and tries to push her back toward the door]
- MARCEL: [frustrated] I thought I told you to stay put.
- REBEKAH: [obliviously] Well, I hate being told what to do, so I ignored you.
[She pushes past him and walks toward the witches, who are looking at her with disgust and anger]
- REBEKAH: [smiles] Beg pardon, love, but I think this is all a simple misunderstanding.
- JOSEPHINE: [unamused] No, this is retaliation for the evil you unleashed last night.
[Rebekah is visibly unnerved and confused as she looks over at Marcel]
- JOSEPHINE: Two of our children attacked unmercifully. One dead, the other missing. All signs lead to you, Eva.
[Marcel walks toward Josephine and plants himself protectively in front of Rebekah]
- MARCEL: Whoa, hold on-- the witch that you knew as Eva Sinclair is gone. Alright? Her body was taken over by Rebekah Mikaelson.
- JOSEPHINE: [smiles mockingly] Is that your version of an alibi?
[Marcel stares at her, but remains silent. Josephine addresses two of the men behind her]
- JOSEPHINE: Take her.
[Suddenly, Elijah appears behind the group and speaks up as he walks toward Marcel and Rebekah]
- Elijah: That won't be necessary. [He pauses briefly] Ms. LaRue. It would be a great shame to soil the goodwill of our recent agreement. Now, I am sorry for your loss, but, Marcel is telling the truth-- Rebekah now occupies the body of Eva Sinclair, and my sister is innocent of this crime. Now, you have my word, I will find whoever is responsible and make certain that justice is served.
[He walks toward Josephine]
- Elijah: But now, I would encourage you all to leave.
- JOSEPHINE: You have 'til tomorrow. After that, it won't matter what I say-- witches will stop at nothing to protect their children. That's an impulse I know you can respect.
[Elijah looks concerned as the witches leave the premises]
[Elijah has just arrived to the compound, where he has joined Klaus, who is waiting for him in the dining room in anticipation for their family brunch]
- Klaus: There you are. Finally.
[Elijah strips off his coat and hangs it up before heading toward the table]
- Elijah: I was delayed.
- Klaus: [smiles] Our guest of honor will be here momentarily.
- Elijah: [bemused] Strange, our house is conspicuously absent of our lupine guests. I do hope it wasn't on my account.
- Klaus: [laughs] I sent Hayley and her poorly groomed husband off to spend the day with their werewolf brethren to test the limits of their new abilities. Leaving me to deal with family business as I see fit.
- Elijah: [suspiciously] Niklaus, Rebekah's situation has taken a turn. We may need Freya's assistance. So, whatever you are planning here? Don't.
- Klaus: [rolls his eyes] All I'm planning is a simple chat with a long-lost relative. You yourself said to hear her out.
- Elijah: And you yourself said that would be idiocy.
- Klaus: [amused] Did I?
[He feigns as though he's straining to remember when he said this]
- Klaus: Well, it does sound like me. Regardless, on the off-chance Freya has some information that could protect my daughter, I'd prefer she share it on my terms. [He points toward his ear] Ah! I think I hear her now!
[He turns to the door just as Freya walks into the dining room, smiling at her brothers]
- Klaus: Sister! Well, come in! Come in! Make yourself comfortable.
[Freya looks slightly nervous, but smiles warmly at them]
[Vincent, now free of Finn's spirit, is in one of the bedrooms in Elijah's new apartment, where he is sitting on a bed, leaning his elbows against his knees and rubbing the bridge of his nose with his thumbs as though he has a headache. After a moment, Marcel comes in with a newspaper to check on him]
- MARCEL: Morning! How you feelin'?
- VINCENT: [groans] Nauseous. Can't concentrate. [He sighs] Can't really do any magic. But, I suppose that was the point-- [He picks up something off the plate on the nightstand next to him]-- seeing as I can smell the lobilia flower you've been putting in my food, man.
- MARCEL: [smiles] Can't be too careful with witches, hmm?
- VINCENT: Hmm. That something you learned from experience, Marcel Gerard? Back when you controlled the Quarter witches with all your rules, and, uh--
[He clicks his tongue and mimes as though he's slitting his throat with his finger]
- VINCENT: --Public executions?
- MARCEL: [laughs] You know who I am.
[He puts a chair in front of Vincent's bed and sits down in it]
- MARCEL: That's good, 'cause I got some questions that need answers, and you seem to know what happens to people who don't give me what I want.
- VINCENT: [amused] Mmm. I know you ain't the king around here no more. And I know you can't keep me here! I'm from the Tremé, Marcel. Witches from there, *whew*, they're a little bit of a harder breed than what it is you're used to. Yeah, they're gonna want me back.
- MARCEL: [nods] Actually, they already do what you back. Yeah, a matter of fact--
[He stands, pulls out his newspaper, and lays it down on the nightstand next to Vincent]
- MARCEL: --They've wanted you back for nine months.
[Vincent's eyes grow wide in shock as he looks at the newspaper Marcel just placed next to him. Vincent looks at Marcel in disbelief, but Marcel just points at the paper]
- MARCEL: Yeah, check the date!
[Vincent picks up the newspaper to examine it while listening to Marcel explain]
- MARCEL: You might notice a little time gap.
- VINCENT: [appalled and horrified] Man, what'd you do to me?
- MARCEL: Oh, me? I can't make nine months vanish. No, your beef is with a guy named Finn. See, he took possession of your body. Got into all kinds of trouble, too. Made some nasty enemies, I might add.
- VINCENT: [extremely overwhelmed]] Whoa.
[Vincent holds up his hands, clearly struggling to believe what he's hearing, and keeps glancing from the newspaper to Marcel and back anxiously while he processes this revelation]
- MARCEL: Look, I'll tell you all about it, but first, you gotta tell me about a Tremé witch that you might know-- Eva Sinclair.
[At the sound of Eva's name, Vincent quickly turns his head to look at Marcel, and when he realizes he's being serious, he just shakes his head in exasperation]
- MARCEL: [suspiciously] Sore subject?
- VINCENT: [smiles patronizingly] Mmhmm. [He grits his teeth in annoyance] I'm done talking.
[Marcel glares at him angrily]
[Rebekah has come to Kol's old "playhouse" to seek Davina's help regarding her vessel. Davina looks tired as she shuffles through various books and loose pages of spells and magical notes]
- DAVINA: [annoyed] Are you serious? I'm supposed to drop all of my work to help you figure out your nightmares?
- REBEKAH: Look, they're more than dreams. I came here hoping you'd have some witchy way to figure out what's wrong and help me fix it.
[She looks at Davina, who seems tired and depressed, in concern]
- REBEKAH: Though you don't look too good yourself. Have you gotten any sleep lately?
- DAVINA: [angrily] No!
[She gestures around at all of the magical books and supplies]
- DAVINA: I've been here, studying all this stuff since Kol died, and I thought that you were going to help me bring him back like you promised!
- REBEKAH: [guiltily] Look, I can't help Kol if the witch he stuck me in ends up taking me over! There's something wrong. I think the rightful owner of this body is waking up inside me, and she's angry.
[Davina sighs in frustration, but eventually warms up to Rebekah and gestures to the books in front of her again]
- DAVINA: [kinder] These are Kol's spell books. I'm sure there's something in here that can help.
[Rebekah, looking slightly reassured, smiles at Davina, who weakly smiles in return]
[Freya, Klaus, and Elijah are making small talk in the dining room of the compound. Freya has a small round artifact in her hands and is examining it carefully]
- FREYA: This witch-hoop, it's Danish. Is this from when you all lived in Copenhagen in the 1500s?
- Klaus: Quite the eye!
- Elijah: [impatiently] Forgive me-- are we here to discuss family heirlooms, or do we have more pressing concerns?
- Klaus: Please excuse my brother's lack of decorum. He's been in a foul mood of late. But, he is right. I did ask you here in the hopes that you would share some of Dahlia's secrets. So, without further ado, let's get to it!
[The three of them take their seats at the table, which is full of breakfast food, and start their discussion. Freya clears her throat awkwardly before she begins to speak]
- FREYA: The first thing you should know is that Dahlia is the most powerful witch I've ever seen. She craves more power still. Right now she is like me-- limited to one year of life in a century. But, she wants to be free of that restriction. To gain true immortality. And that is why she will come here-- drawn by your daughter to take the child's power for herself. And she would kill anyone who would defy her.
- Elijah: And yet you would defy her?
- FREYA: I don't have a choice. She will never let me be free. My one chance is to align with you and kill her.
[Elijah looks troubled by this revelation, but Klaus doesn't seem convinced]
- Klaus: Well, now that we're all suitably motivated, let's talk specifics!
- FREYA: [takes a deep breath] For you to understand, I need to start from the beginning.
FLASHBACK-- KINGDOM OF NORWAY, 977 A.D.
[Present-day Freya narrates the flashback in voiceover as five-year-old Freya stands outside the cottage with Dahlia, who is creating a magic circle out of what looks like black sand or ash and using it to draw Runic symbols within the circle that appear to be modified versions of the alphabet runes "algiz," "kaunaz," "gebu," "teiwaz," and "laguz." Around them, Dahlia has set up tall torches whose flames are quite large and are arranged in the form of a pentagram]
- FREYA: [voiceover] After taking me from my family, Dahlia used me to forge a new brand of connective magic, one that augmented my power even as it allowed her to draw from me.
- DAHLIA: [to young Freya] Take my hand and begin your chants.
- YOUNG FREYA & DAHLIA: Med dette seglet, cum saluta nobis saman. Med dette seglet, cum saluta nobis saman.
[As they chant, the torches' flames flare brightly as they increase in size. Young Freya gasps in surprise and awe, while Dahlia's head rolls backward as she feels the surge in power from drawing on her. Once it's passed, Dahlia looks down at Freya, who is still holding her hands tightly and looking a her curiously. Dahlia smiles, obviously pleased by the outcome of the spell. She looks around and begins to hum for young Freya]
- FREYA: [voiceover] Once we were bonded, Dahlia became unstoppable.
[In flashback, Dahlia smiles as she proudly strokes Freya's cheek with her hand]
- FREYA: [voiceover] She wasted no time proving her might.
[The scene cuts to another part of the village, where Dahlia and young Freya are walking hand-in-hand through a snowy field in the middle of the day. The bodies of at least a dozen people are scattered across the land]
- FREYA: [voiceover] The chief of a nearby village threatened to run us off, accusing Dahlia of witchcraft. She decided to make an example out of the entire encampment-- men, women, children.
PRESENT DAY-- MIKAELSON COMPOUND / LAFAYETTE CEMETERY
- FREYA: She killed them all with a wave of her hand. That was my first inkling of the power Dahlia had. Over the course of a thousand years, she's only grown stronger. [She turns toward Klaus] And she will bring all her power to bear against you when she comes for your child.
[Klaus looks terrified by this revelation. The story is interrupted when Elijah's phone rings. When Elijah sees that it's Rebekah, he immediately turns to Klaus and Freya]
- Elijah: Excuse me.
[He steps out into the hall and answers the call]
- Elijah: Rebekah, how are you feeling?
[Rebekah has just left the Claire tomb and is walking through the cemetery as she talks to Elijah]
- REBEKAH: As if I walked straight into a brick wall. Any luck with Freya?
- Elijah: [whispers] Luck is not the word that I would use.
[He turns backward so he can look at Freya]
- Elijah: You should be here.
- REBEKAH: Fine. I'm on my way now.
[Rebekah has just hung up the phone when she's suddenly overcome by a wave of pain as Eva fights to get control of her body again. Visions of Eva carving the sacrificial channeling sigil into the foreheads of various children and teenagers flash through her mind. She leans against a tomb's wall to get her bearings, and once it passes, she tries to leave again, only to double over from the force of the next pulse of resistance from Eva]
- REBEKAH: Ahhh!
[She doubles over again, so hard this time that she loses her balance, falls face-first onto the brick walkway, and hits her head so hard on the ground that she knocks herself unconscious]
[Hayley walks out onto the porch of her old shack in the Bayou with a cup of coffee in hand and watches as the werewolves practice sparring in the nearby clearing. Jackson is fighting against Aiden, both of whom are learning to fight with their new abilities. Jackson manages to block Aiden before he elbows him in the face and laughs proudly]
- JACKSON: Oh-ho-ho, you're getting faster!
- AIDEN: Maybe you're just getting slower, huh?
[They continue fighting. Aiden punches Jackson in the face, but Jackson quickly knees him in the stomach. In retaliation, Aiden elbows him in the side, and Jackson groans]
- JACKSON: Ahhh!
[Before Aiden can punch him in the face again, Jackson grabs him by the arm and throws him onto the ground and into a nearby puddle. When Aiden stands back on his feet, his clothes and hands are all covered in mud]
- JACKSON: Keep your head up! Low center, guard your face.
[Aiden angrily lunges for Jackson and roughly shoves him backwards and starts punching him in the face. To protect himself, Jackson grabs him in a headlock, but when Aiden can't immediately get out of it, his eyes start glowing gold as his fangs come out and he bites Jackson in the arm. Jackson lets go and yelps in pain. Hayley looks concerned as she watches from the porch]
- JACKSON: AHHH! What the hell?
- AIDEN: [frustrated] You left yourself wide open!
- JACKSON: It was your idea to come out here and spar. I'm doing this for you.
- AIDEN: [rolls his eyes] Oh, for me? You're the one leading a pack of super-wolves. How long before they decide they don't want to take orders for you anymore? Huh?
[He walks over to Jackson and gets in his face]
- AIDEN: Because the only way you can stay Alpha is by always being the strongest.
[Jackson angrily shoves his way past him, clearly unhappy by this conversation. From the porch, Hayley seems confused and uncomfortable]
- HAYLEY: [shouts at them] You guys done? This macho-stuff is cute and all, but don't make me come out there and kick both your asses!
[Hayley walks back into the shack. Jackson laughs at her words, but once she's gone, his face becomes serious as he turns back to Aiden]
- JACKSON: Look, if you got a problem with the way I lead, now's the time to speak up.
- AIDEN: Klaus is acting like we're on his leash. You think the guys don't see that? Things are changing, Jackson! Our people aren't cursed anymore! We're strong. If any of them see you as vulnerable, they're going to challenge you for Alpha, because that is what wolves do.
- JACKSON: [angry] Are you putting yourself in that category?
- AIDEN: I'm looking out for you. That's all.
[Aiden shoves past Jackson and leaves. Once his gone, Jackson looks as though he's worried about the pack's future]
[Freya, Klaus, and Elijah are still discussing Dahlia over brunch, though none of them are eating the large amount of food on the table]
- Klaus: [feigns kindness] Your stories are fascinating, and Dahlia does indeed sound dreadful, but Elijah and I have killed our fair share of evil witches.
- FREYA: Not like her.
- Elijah: [sips his tea] What are her weaknesses?
- FREYA: She's paranoid. Obsessed with power. She hungers constantly for what's been denied her, be it love, or revenge.
- Elijah: Yes, I believe I'm familiar with the type.
[He looks over at Klaus and gives him a knowing look, but Klaus just smirks]
- FREYA: When I was a child, she would tell me tales of her own youth, being victimized by those stronger than her. Dahlia vowed never to be weak again. She bargained for the firstborn of Esther's bloodline, intending to raise us in her own image, forming a coven of her own from which she could draw endless power. That plan was foiled the day she learned that Esther had ended her bloodline by turning her children into vampires.
[Freya looks at Klaus, who looks as though he has something to say, but she keeps talking]
- FREYA: And so the burden fell to me. Dahlia demanded that I bear the firstborn that would add to her power, but, I would not allow a child of mine to live as I did-- as a slave. [Her eyes fill with tears] So, I vowed never to love. Never to have a child of my own.
[She starts to cry, and Elijah looks troubled]
- FREYA: Of course, the more I resisted, the harder Dahlia fought to control me.
FLASHBACK-- KINGDOM OF NORWAY, LATE 10TH/EARLY 11TH CENTURY
[Dahlia has set up another magic circle onto the floor of their cottage with salt, complete with more Runic alphabet symbols around the inside. She hums as she places various herbs inside the circle while the now-grown Freya watches fearfully. Present-day Freya narrates the flashback to Klaus and Elijah]
- FREYA: [voiceover] 'Til the day that she took the last of what little freedom I had left.
[Dahlia makes a spiral in the earthen floor of the cottage inside the magic circle with her finger before waving her hands over it. After a moment, she gasps and her eyes roll back as she feels the spell successfully complete itself. Afterward, she stands to her feet holds out her hand toward Freya]
- DAHLIA: [smiles] Take my hand.
[Freya stays where she is and looks at Dahlia in fright as she shakes her head and backs away from her]
- FREYA: No. This is not right. You've already taken everything from me! I will not follow you into this madness!
- DAHLIA: [smiles coldly] Don't be stupid. I'm offering you eternal life. We will sleep for a century and wake with a power unlike any that's ever been seen! It's what we wanted!
- FREYA: [furiously] It's what you wanted!
[Dahlia's smile falls as she begins to lose her patience, and Freya starts to cry]
- FREYA: Please, do not bind me with this curse!
[Dahlia lowers her hand, looking saddened by this reaction, and for a moment, Freya looks as though Dahlia has relented. After a moment, though, Dahlia roughly grabs Freya's hands and pulls her into the circle despite her protests]
- DAHLIA: Ungrateful child! You will thank me for this, in one century or the next. [She begins to chant the spell] Magi somn et immortalis, binde oss.
[In the present day, Freya is still crying as she continues her story]
- FREYA: And so we slept, our magic accruing over time.
[She flashes back to right after the spell was cast, where both Dahlia and Freya are each laying in their own bed, side by side]
- FREYA: Until we woke, filled with immense power and allowed to live a single year of life. That has been the existence I've suffered for the last ten centuries.
[Klaus begins to laugh fakely, and Freya shoots him a glare]
- Klaus: Well, that's quite the ordeal, isn't it? But, it does beg the question-- why not end it yourself?
[Elijah shakes his head in disgust at Klaus' words and tries to stop him from talking, but he continues on]
- Klaus: A high enough bridge, a tight enough noose? You must have considered it.
[Freya closes her eyes and sighs in frustration before she continues]
- FREYA: Long ago, I did consider it. But, Dahlia would never give me even that freedom.
[Klaus is surprised by this answer, and almost looks guilty for what he said]
- FREYA: I would later learn that the spell made me like her-- immortal and impervious to harm.
[She laughs bitterly and wipes the tears from her face]
- FREYA: So, you see, I am like you: a creature of great power, cursed for all time.
[Cami downs a glass of bourbon at the bar in Marcel's apartment as they discuss the Vincent situation]
- MARCEL: Cami, if you don't want to do this...
[Cami starts to pour herself another glass]
- CAMI: Of course I don't want to do this! The guy practically tried to kill me.
- MARCEL: Well, not this guy. Vincent Griffith is just another victim.
- CAMI: Yes, but as of yesterday, he was Finn. Finn, who lied to me, who used me, who tried to erase me from my own body. And now, we're just going to hang out. I mean, it's fine, I'll do it. I just... need a drink first.
[She takes a big gulp of the second glass of bourbon she poured for herself. Marcel stands up and walks over to the door to call out for one of the vampires standing guard outside]
- MARCEL: Bring him in!
[Two vampire guards bring Vincent inside, who jerks out of their grip and looks at Marcel in aggravation. Cami frowns and stands to greet him]
- VINCENT: [annoyed] What is this, Marcel? You dragging me from one dump to another without telling me what's going on, man?
- MARCEL: [chuckles] "Dump?" Ouch. And I thought changing the venue might brighten your mood! Maybe it's me? So, how about I give you a chance to talk to my friend here.
[He points at Cami, who is standing with her arms crossed a couple feet away]
- MARCEL: You be nice, a'ight? Or I won't. [He turns to Cami] I'll be right outside.
[Marcel leaves with the vampire guards to give them some privacy. Once they're gone, Cami finally addresses him]
- CAMI: Would you like to sit down?
[Vincent looks around at the apartment and takes in his new environment, but doesn't say anything. Cami sighs awkwardly]
- CAMI: Okay... I'm Cami.
- VINCENT: Look, whoever you are, you should know this isn't gonna work. I do not break. Not for vampires, and not for pretty-faced... whatever you are.
- CAMI: [smiles] Well, that's a relief, because the last time we spoke, I got the feeling you were kind of obsessed with me.
- VINCENT: [frowns] You know the guy who did this to me?
- CAMI: I'll tell you about it... if you want.
- VINCENT: [suspicious] And what's in it for you?
- CAMI: A little exchange of information never hurt anymore.
[Vincent rolls his eyes and laughs]
- CAMI: Look, if you want to be the guy in the room who doesn't know where he was last week, that's fine. But, if you wanna know the truth-- from someone who had a front row seat-- sit down.
[Vincent looks at her warily and sighs]
ABANDONED WAREHOUSE DISTRICT
[Rebekah is laying face-down on the ground after passing out. Her phone, which she dropped on the ground before she fell, begins to ring, which finally causes Rebekah to wake up. Confused, she pushes herself into a seated position, but after a moment, she starts getting more flashes of Eva channeling children and groans in pain. She tries to get her bearings and finally answers the phone. It's Elijah, who is in the hallway near the courtyard of the compound]
- REBEKAH: Elijah?
- Elijah: [annoyed and worried] I expected you hours ago.
- REBEKAH: [anxiously] Yes, well, I seem to have lost track of time.
- Elijah: [alarmed] What's wrong? Where are you?
- REBEKAH: [scared] That's just it-- I don't know.
[The camera pans outward, revealing that she is standing in the middle of a block of old, run-down, abandoned warehouses. It is completely deserted aside for Rebekah]
[Hayley and Jackson are practicing sparring together, and though Jackson is easily dodging and blocking her hits and kicks, she is still the better fighter due to her hybrid abilities. After a moment, she stops fighting and looks at him with concern as she frowns]
- HAYLEY: You still thinking about what Aiden said?
- JACKSON: [sighs] He was just trying to help. Being Alpha is an honor. It's one you have to earn every day, and... the pack is changing.
[The two start to walk toward Jackson's trailer]
- JACKSON: You know? We're going to face some challenges. I just want them to know that I'm here to lead for them. That I put them first.
[Hayley and Jackson sit down on a table outside of the trailer, and Hayley picks up two glasses of water off of it, handing one of them to him]
- HAYLEY: [sighs] The pack loves you, Jack. You just have to remind them of that. Buy them a round of beers, turn on that backwoods-Bayou charm. Worked on me!
- JACKSON: What about our other problem?
- HAYLEY: Hmmm. You mean our evil landlord?
- JACKSON: [sighs] Klaus acts like we're his personal army. I don't trust him.
- HAYLEY: I can handle Klaus. We're a team, right? You and I united the pack together.
[She and Jackson stand up and face each other]
- HAYLEY: Are things changing? Yes. But one of those changes is that we no longer have to go through this alone.
[Hayley and Jackson entwine their fingers and hold their hands up. They smile at each other, and Jackson brushes a lock of hair behind Hayley's ear before leaning in to kiss her]
[Rebekah has made it back to the compound, where Klaus and Elijah are anxiously listening to Rebekah update them one what has happened]
- REBEKAH: It was this witch, Eva! The nocturnal cow is inside of me trying to bust her way out!
[Elijah looks at Klaus expectantly]
- Elijah: Freya is waiting downstairs. Perhaps we shou--
- Klaus: [cuts him off] Have you lost your mind? Tell me we're not considering opening our sister's head to someone we barely know!
- REBEKAH: [frustrated] Nik, for God's sake, she is our sister! I've known her since she saved me from the Fauline Cottage.
- Klaus: An act no doubt meant to secure your trust! Perhaps for this very moment, to strike when we are vulnerable!
[Rebekah scowls at Klaus, but he shakes his head]
- Klaus: No, we've no way of knowing that anything she said today is true.
- Elijah: [sighs] Niklaus, I understand your concern. Both of us are powerless to help our sister. Now, either we leave Rebekah to suffer, or we place our faith in the hands of someone I believe to be our blood.
[Klaus looks appalled, but Elijah maintains his position]
- Elijah: Right now, I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to family.
[Vincent is sitting backwards in a small folding chair while he talks to Cami, who is sitting across from him on the couch]
- VINCENT: I woke up last night. I didn't know where I was, or how long I'd been there, let alone that I had lost nine months of my life! Marcel said the guy who possessed me, this Finn, he made a lot of enemies.
[He looks at Cami pleadingly, obviously horrified by the thought of what he has done while he was possessed]
- VINCENT: What did he do?
- CAMI: He... terrorized the city. He threatened and manipulated his enemies, tried to steal an innocent child, and executed his brother.
[Vincent looks overwhelmed by this response and rubs at his face with a sigh]
- CAMI: Mr. Griffith...
[Vincent says nothing, and Cami hesitates]
- CAMI: Vincent. What you experienced was a violation of a profoundly personal nature. And whatever you are feeling, I am here to listen.
- VINCENT: That's just it-- what do I say? Am-am I-am I just supposed to feel bad for these people that I hurt? Am I-am I supposed to feel guilty for this...
[He stands up and angrily flips the chair he was sitting on before turning away, embarrassed at his outburst]
- VINCENT: ...This man I killed?
[Vincent looks ashamed as he picks the chair back up and sits down again, sighing deeply as he does so]
- VINCENT: I'm sorry.
- CAMI: [comfortingly] Hey, it's okay! You're gonna be okay.
[Vincent pauses for a moment to process this information as he pinches the bridge of his nose anxiously]
- VINCENT: Did I-- [He sighs]-- Did he... hurt you?
- CAMI: [hesitates] Listen to me-- you didn't do anything. And whatever else may have happened? The only thing you can do now is move on.
[Vincent leans forward with his head in his hands, but he eventually nods in agreement with what Cami has told him]
[Elijah has just brought Freya to the upstairs living room, where Rebekah and Klaus are waiting for her. Freya immediately walks toward Rebekah to greet her]
- FREYA: [smiles] Rebekah!
[Rebekah stands up, and the two squeeze each other's hands]
- FREYA: It's good to see you again.
- REBEKAH: And you! Although I'd prefer better circumstances.
[The two sit next to each other on the couch while Elijah stands off to the side. Klaus is sitting in the corner with a drink, he back turned to them, and obviously pouting due to being overruled by Elijah]
- FREYA: You needn't worry. Elijah explained the problem, and I can help.
- Klaus: [mutters loudly] Rather confident, aren't we?
[Freya turns to look at him, partly amused and partly confused, but when Klaus doesn't even acknowledge her, she just scoffs and turns back to Rebekah]
- FREYA: The spirit of the host body is powerful, but I can cast a spell.
[She brushes Rebekah's cheek with her hand]
- FREYA: Put you in a deep sleep, and then suppress this other essence. You'll be just fine.
- REBEKAH: [nervously] Lovely. When do we start?
- Klaus: [groans] Oh, you've got to be kidding me. She spouts off some magical diagnosis, and we are all supposed to applaud?
- REBEKAH: [annoyed] Nik, she's trying to help!
[Klaus stands to his feet and walks toward them]
- Klaus: Yes, but for the sake of keeping our options open, why not write down your spells and incantations, that way we can have them double-checked by an impartial third party? Say, Davina? She'd love to prove me wrong.
- FREYA: [offended] I doubt she'd be able to understand my magic, let alone have the power to execute it.
- Klaus: Oh, so you're my only hope, then? Seems rather convenient, doesn't it?
[Rebekah looks appalled at Klaus' attitude and rolls her eyes dramatically, and Freya is both hurt and betrayed]
- FREYA: I knew it would be difficult to earn your trust, Niklaus. Your reputation precedes you.
[Klaus smiles mockingly at her as she stands and walks toward him]
- FREYA: But, if we are to face Dahlia together, you will have to trust me. Given the peril that Rebekah now faces, are you truly incapable of giving me even a chance to prove myself?
[Klaus rolls his eyes and turns back toward the bar, so Freya addresses Elijah and Rebekah instead]
- FREYA: I know I appear as an outsider, but I have dreamt of you all for a thousand years.
[Rebekah and Elijah look at each other before turning back to Freya]
- FREYA: Elijah-- when you were in Esther's womb, she would ask me to sing to you. I would feel her belly as I did. [She laughs] How you would kick. She would say it was as if Thor himself had raised his hammer--
- Elijah: [finishes her sentence] --And summoned thunder and lightning.
[They smile at each other, and Elijah is visibly touched that she would remember this memory]
- Elijah: Mother rarely mentioned you, but when she did, she would say how enchanted you were with the prospect of my birth.
- FREYA: How I wanted more brothers. And a sister-- [She looks over at Rebekah, who smiles at her affectionately]-- more than anything.
[Klaus continues to stew in the corner, upset to be left out]
- FREYA: But between Esther and Dahlia, that wish was taken from me. I was ruined by those who raised me. If nothing else, at least we have that in common.
[She looks over at Klaus, who continues scowling silently across the room, before turning back to Elijah]
- FREYA: There is nothing that can replace what was taken from us. But, I hope we can make something better in its place. All you have to do is trust me.
[Before anyone can say anything, Klaus vamp-speeds over to her and breaks her neck. Rebekah tries to intervene, but she wasn't fast enough]
- REBEKAH: [furiously] NIK!
- Klaus: [smirks] Well, that's enough of that, don't you think?
[He drops her body carelessly onto the ground, and Rebekah and Elijah both swarm around him, livid at what he has just done]
- Klaus: Right. Now we can have a proper family meeting.
[After the break, Freya is still laying lifelessly on the floor, where Rebekah is checking on her. She is furious as she looks over at Klaus, who is pacing along one side of the room while Elijah paces along the other]
- REBEKAH: Was that absolutely necessary?
- Klaus: Oh, please, she was insufferable.
[Elijah points at Klaus with anger and exasperation]
- Elijah: That was ridiculous, even for you!
- Klaus: You've only just met her! Let's not get sentimental. Besides, if she was telling the truth about being immortal, she'll awaken shortly. If she was lying, good riddance.
- Elijah: [sarcastically] Yes. Of course, if she wakes, she'll be willing to help us with unbridled enthusiasm.
- Klaus: [scoffs] She played you both for fools! Can you not see that? She spins a sad yarn about a small child taken by an evil witch, and you both fall over yourselves to mend what's broken!
- REBEKAH: [annoyed] How can you be so certain?
- Klaus: Simple-- It's exactly what I'd do.
[Elijah rolls his eyes in annoyance and kneels down to check on Freya]
- Klaus: My only question now is, what's in it for her?
- Elijah: Well, whatever the truth may be, she's in no position to help us now.
[Rebekah glares furiously at Klaus]
- REBEKAH: Well, then we should try Marcel. Perhaps he's had luck on his end?
[She turns to Klaus and shoots him another glare]
- REBEKAH: Surely he's put in a better effort.
[Rebekah storms out of the room to leave for Marcel's apartment, and after a moment, Elijah follows after her. Klaus calls out after them]
- Klaus: [loudly] You know I'm right, Elijah!
[Elijah stops and turns back to Klaus, fed up with his attitude]
- Klaus: We can't have an alliance with someone we can't trust.
- Elijah: [unamused] You don't trust her, and that is your choice. I only hope that choice comes from a place of reason... not fear.
[He turns to go to Marcel's loft, leaving Klaus alone in the living room with Freya's unconscious body]
[Night has fallen, and Vincent is looking out of the windows of the apartment to watch the lit skyline of New Orleans and the nearby Mississippi River. After a moment, Cami brings him a drink and stands next to him]
- CAMI: Leave it to Marcel to have the best view of the city.
- VINCENT: Mmm. Sometimes I forget what a beautiful city it is. Especially with all the ugliness that comes with it.
[Vincent looks Cami in the eyes, and she senses he's holding back]
- CAMI: Have you always lived here?
- VINCENT: Mmhmm. Born and raised in the Tremé. Lived through its ups and downs. Then it came to trouble with the vampires, and sometimes it was even worse. I gave up on being a witch. Walked away from my coven. I guess that was why I was easy prey for your friend Finn.
- CAMI: [chuckles bitterly] Yeah, trust me-- not my friend.
[Vincent chuckles in return, and the two stare at each other for a long moment. Vincent hesitates before he speaks again]
- VINCENT: Marcel was asking about Eva Sinclair. You need to tell him to get back in here. There's something he needs to know.
BELL TOWER OF ST. LOUIS CATHEDRAL
[Freya is laying on the floor of the bell tower when she suddenly awakens with a gasp after her body finally heals her snapped neck. She looks confused as she looks around and tries to figure out where she is. When she sees Klaus sitting nearby, she remembers what happened and becomes angry and frustrated]
- Klaus: Ah, you're awake. Well, clearly your restorative powers are not renowned for their speed.
- FREYA: [furiously] You dare lay your hands on me?
- Klaus: Immortality is a bold play. I had to make sure you're telling the truth.
[Freya is clearly appalled by her behavior as she tries to catch her breath]
- FREYA: Why did you bring me here?
- Klaus: I couldn't very well have you stay in my home. That honor is something I reserve for those I consider family.
- FREYA: [upset] So you refuse me as your sister?
- Klaus: Well, you had a lovely audition. It just didn't seem to be the right fit.
- FREYA: I think Elijah felt otherwise. Rebekah, too.
- Klaus: Yes, you did a fine job of convincing them with all your melodramatic tales. However, I suspect you were not entirely forthcoming. The truth is, Elijah and Rebekah can be a bit naive when it comes to family relations. Case in point, their unending faith in me! I repay that loyalty by guarding them against treachery they cannot see, and I suspect you are very treacherous indeed. You wish to worm your way into my family-- I want to know why. So, sister, I'm going to give you one last chance to tell the full truth. I suggest you don't muck it up.
[After the break, Freya and Klaus continue their discussion in the bell tower. Freya has lit dozens of candles around the room to give them light]
- FREYA: You want to know why I hate Dahlia?
[Klaus looks surprised and intrigued by this response]
- FREYA: It goes back to a man. His name was Matthias. We knew each other for one perfect year in the early 1400s. I loved him more than my own life, and Dahlia allowed me to love him.
- Klaus: Of course. She wanted you to bear her another firstborn.
- FREYA: [near tears] I broke my vow and gave into love, and that led to the darkest moment of my life. The day when I tried to steal from Dahlia that which she wanted most.
- Klaus: And what, precisely, was that?
[Freya starts to cry and hesitates for a moment, her voice breaking when she eventually speaks]
- FREYA: My son.
FLASHBACK-- NORWAY, KALMAR UNION, EARLY 15TH CENTURY
[Outside Dahlia's cottage, a very pregnant Freya is sobbing as Matthias, who is bleeding from his eyes and nose, starts to cough up blood and fall to his knees, much in the same way that Freya killed Cassie in Sanctuary]
- FREYA: [voiceover] Matthias only wanted our son to be born free. For that, Dahlia cursed him to death.
[Freya, who is kneeling over Matthias' lifeless body and sobbing, looks up to see Dahlia nearby, frowning at her]
- FREYA: [voiceover] I knew that I'd never be free of her, that my child would be born a slave.
[Inside the cottage, Freya desperately searches through dozens of bottles of potions before finding one full of a red liquid and quickly drinks it]
- FREYA: [voiceover] To spare us both the horrors of the life I'd known, I took a bottle of Dahlia's strongest poison.
[Dahlia rushes into the cottage to find Freya has already ingested the poison, and she turns to face her aunt as she begins to sway on her feet]
- DAHLIA: [betrayed] I gave you everything! And you dare to take what is mine?
- FREYA: [nods and whispers] Yes.
[Freya falls to the floor, and before she "dies," she smiles weakly from the belief that she was finally free]
- FREYA: [voiceover] I wanted to die, for only death could give me the release I longed for. But Dahlia knew that my death was never an option. That was the day that I learned I could never die.
[Some time later, Freya awakens with a gasp in her bed in the cottage, and is both confused and upset when she realizes she is alive. Dahlia, who is sitting at her bedside, starts to check on her]
- FREYA: [shocked] How could this be? How am I alive?
- DAHLIA: [sighs in relief] The spell that sealed our magic sleep guards us from all forms of harm.
[Freya stands to her feet and gapes at Dahlia in horror as she sighs dramatically]
- DAHLIA: But the spell... did not protect everyone.
[Freya gasps and looks down at her stomach, which is no longer swollen from pregnancy. When she realizes that she lost the baby, she begins to break down in sobs]
- FREYA: [hysterically] My baby!
[Her knees give out, and she falls to her bed, where Dahlia takes Freya in her arms and begins soothingly running her fingers through Freya's hair]
- DAHLIA: There, there. There, there.
[Dahlia lowers her voice to a soothing whisper]
- DAHLIA: I will forgive you for this... eventually. But, you can never forget-- there is no escape from me. Not. Even. Death.
[In the present day, Freya is tearing up again, and looking at Klaus angrily. Klaus looks almost as though he is sympathizing with her]
- FREYA: It was Dahlia who made me do what I did. She turned me into a monster and I will destroy her for it. Tell me, brother-- is that the truth you wanted to hear?
[Klaus, not expecting this response, steels himself and forces down his emotions before he addresses her]
- Klaus: Whether I believe you or not is no matter. To told that tale in order to garner my sympathy!
[Freya just stares at him blankly, as though she knew he would react this way but is still exhausted by it]
- Klaus: Thinking the shared plight of a child in danger would bond us. But, I will not be manipulated!
[Freya rolls her eyes as she walks toward him]
- FREYA: Whatever you choose, one finale truth remains-- Dahlia is coming for us. With me, you have a chance to defeat her. Without me, she will take your daughter and make her a slave. She will suffer as I had, never knowing her mother and father because Dahlia will have rendered you into ash.
- Klaus: Are you quite finished? If there is to be an alliance between us, it will be one of my design. And if you ever try to control me again, sister, you will spend the rest of your immortal life regretting it.
- FREYA: [unimpressed] Then leave. I already have Elijah and Rebekah's trust, and I am not going anywhere. But, if I were you, brother, I would rethink your alliances as you go forward.
[Klaus sneers at her, but she isn't intimidated by him]
[Elijah and Rebekah have just arrived at Marcel's apartment, where Marcel and Vincent are waiting for them. Marcel greets them at the door while Vincent downs a glass of bourbon]
- MARCEL: I filled the guy in, but he's still a little freaked out about all of this.
- REBEKAH: Good. That makes us a perfect pair.
[The three of them walk over to where Vincent is standing so they can talk to him. Rebekah wastes no time approaching him and introducing herself, and Vincent looks absolutely stunned to see her]
- REBEKAH: Right. Well, I can tell by your face that you knew the previous occupant of this body. [She smiles at him] Rest assured, you're now speaking to Rebekah Mikaelson. So, who are you? I mean, now that you're not my brother Finn?
- VINCENT: [surprised] Vincent Griffith. I would say "at your service," but that implies I had a choice in the matter.
[Rebekah looks over at Elijah and grins, obviously liking Vincent a lot more than Finn]
- REBEKAH: [pleased] Oh! He's witty. Wonderful. Now, I hear you have some information for me.
- VINCENT: [overwhelmed] Just... give me a second.
[He stares at Rebekah as he walks closer to her, which seems to pique Elijah's interest. After a moment, he laughs softly]
- VINCENT: When they put Eva in the Fauline Cottage, I never thought I'd see her again.
- Elijah: [confused] How exactly is it that you knew Ms. Sinclair?
[Vincent stares at Eva/Rebekah in shock]
- VINCENT: She was my wife.
- REBEKAH: [surprised] Well... That is bloody fantastic, isn't it?
[Klaus is sullenly standing at the bar in the courtyard, where he's pouring himself a drink. Hayley sees him from the balcony above and goes down the stairs so she can talk to him, not immediately noticing his foul mood]
- HAYLEY: We need to talk.
[Klaus rolls his eyes and takes a large gulp of bourbon before he sighs]
- Klaus: Do we, indeed. You've come to express your gratitude and the courtesy that I've shown your husband? Or, perhaps you're here to thank me for my efforts to protect you and your pack?
- HAYLEY: All this tension between you, Jack, and the wolves-- we need to put it behind us. Give Jack the space he needs to run the pack as he sees fit. No more orders, no more favors. He's Alpha. Period.
- Klaus: [laughs mockingly] I'm sorry, did you really think that I would ever agree to let Jackson control the wolves?
- HAYLEY: [loses her temper] You will show him respect, Klaus. He is on our side, and he's fighting for our daughter.
- Klaus: You know, I've spent all day with people who claim to be fighting for our daughter. Some, I trust. Some, I do not. But, one thing is for sure-- there is only one person I trust when it comes to my child's safety, and that would be me.
[Hayley glares at him as he storms away, but he turns back to continue arguing]
- Klaus: You know, you all seem to think that this is a democracy. I assure you, it is not! If Dahlia is coming, then she is a threat to my child, which means I decide how to protect her. No one else! And if Jackson or anyone strays from the course that I set, then they will answer to me. And your husband would do well to remember that. In fact, I think I'll leave it to you to remind him. That way, when he does inevitably incur my wrath again, you'll only have yourself to blame.
[Klaus once again storms out of the courtyard, leaving an incredibly livid Hayley behind to consider her options]
[Cami is drinking drinking her usual sazerac at the bar of the restaurant when Vincent appears and sits next to her before grabbing a bottle of liquor from behind the bar]
- VINCENT: [smiles] You know, after today, I could use a drink.
[Cami smiles back and grabs him a glass]
- CAMI: I see Marcel let you out.
- VINCENT: Eh, he has a sense of reciprocity... for a vampire.
[Cami laughs at his joke]
- VINCENT: I told him what I knew. But, if Eva's coming back here, I don't want anything to do with her. Too much history.
[He downs his entire drink in one gulp and winces]
- VINCENT: Whew! As for you-- stay away from that crowd. Do like me, make it a clean break.
- CAMI: Not the first time I've heard that advice.
[Vincent shrugs in understanding and waits for her to finish]
- CAMI: But, if there's one thing I've learned-- in this town, we're better when we're not alone.
[Vincent smiles at Cami, surprised at her kindness, and she pours him another drink. She holds up her own glass as a toast, and he clinks his glass against hers before they both drink]
[Marcel is walking Rebekah into her bedroom in the compound, and she sits down and faces him, clearly unhappy about the past day's events]
- REBEKAH: [sighs] I appreciate you escorting me home, given that there's a witch inside of me trying to break out. Probably shouldn't be alone right now.
- MARCEL: You're gonna be okay. I promise.
- REBEKAH: [exhausted] Funny, isn't it? I've lived a thousand years, and now, I'm stuck in a body that might swallow me whole. Though, if Josephine LaRue gets her way, I'll be heading back to that witchy asylum.
- MARCEL: That's not gonna happen.
- REBEKAH: The point is, for the first time in ages, I'm quite vulnerable. Weak, even. It's an uncomfortable moment, realizing you're genuinely afraid.
[Marcel sits down on the bed in front of Rebekah to comfort her, and lifts her chin with his hand so he can look her in the eyes]
- MARCEL: It's okay to be scared.
[He takes her hand in his and squeezes it]
- MARCEL: And we are all vulnerable. But weak? [He shakes his head] No. Lemme tell you something-- Klaus is the smartest person I have ever met. Elijah is... the stuffiest.
[They both laugh at his joke]
- MARCEL: You're the strongest, no matter what body you're in.
[They stare at each other for a moment]
- MARCEL: Do you need anything?
- REBEKAH: [sighs and giggles] Perhaps I can use a drink.
[Marcel stands to his feet and heads for the door]
- MARCEL: A drink.
[He bows dramatically]
- MARCEL: Be but a moment, milady.
[Once he leaves, Rebekah gets up to change her clothes when she's suddenly hit with another painful headache as Eva once again tries to regain control over her body. She doubles over and cries out in pain]
- REBEKAH: Ahhh!
[She gets a vision of carving the sacrificial channeling sigil on another girl's forehead and is horrified. When she comes to, she starts trying to catch her breath and sits down on the bed. Marcel comes in with her drink and is concerned when he sees her gasping for air]
- MARCEL: Are you alright?
- REBEKAH: I honestly don't know.
[Marcel sets down the drink and rushes over to her]
- REBEKAH: I keep having flashes of memory, but they fade almost as soon as I've had them.
[Marcel looks worried and considers this for a moment]
- REBEKAH: [sheepishly] I don't suppose you'd mind staying? Just to keep an eye on me?
- MARCEL: No, I'm not going to go anywhere.
[He leans forward and pulls Rebekah into a hug, which seems to reassure her]
ABANDONED WAREHOUSE DISTRICT
[In the block of abandoned warehouses where Rebekah found herself after blacking out, there is one storage space that is full of the unconscious bodies of the children that Eva Sinclair has been channeling. Among them is Davina, who has a fresh sacrificial sigil carved into her forehead, in the shape of the Norse rune "gar," a modified version of the Norse alphabet rune "gebu."]
FLASHBACK-- EARLIER THAT DAY
[When Rebekah was hanging out with Davina to figure out what was wrong with her, Eva regained control of her body and went after her]
- DAVINA: [confused] Rebekah?
[Eva carved the sigil, a large "X" with a diamond shape around it, into her forehead with a knife and deposited it in the warehouse with the other children she's channeling]
ELIJAH'S LOFT / MIKAELSON COMPOUND
[Klaus has just arrived to Elijah's new apartment, where he is cleaning up the main room]
- Klaus: So, this is where you live? It's nicer on the inside.
[Elijah is clearly still annoyed from earlier and rolls his eyes before replying]
- Elijah: Can I help you, Niklaus? Or, did you cross the river purely to critique my décor?
[Elijah begins lighting candles as Klaus talks]
- Klaus: I thought you might like to know that I was moved by what you about my decision not to trust our long-lost sister. So, I waited until she revived, and when she did, we had quite a chat.
- Elijah: And your position remains unchanged.
- Klaus: [shrugs] I looked into her eyes, and I saw only anger and fear. The will to do whatever it takes to survive, no matter who she hurts. I can use her to my own ends, but I could never allow so damaged a creature to have a say in my plans.
- Elijah: [cuts him off] You may not trust her, or trust me, brother-- we may have had our differences of late-- but we shall exercise the same caution we have always demonstrated toward our allies.
- Klaus: [rolls his eyes] Fine. I'll let you pursue it. But, should Freya betray us--
- Elijah: [interrupts him] If Freya should even attempt to betray us, I shall bury her beneath a thousand wretched torments.
- Klaus: [unamused] I don't doubt it. But, what if you're too late?
[Elijah sighs in frustration]
- Klaus: What if Freya is duplicitous? What if Hope should be harmed through her actions? You will not have to worry if I will never forgive you, because you will never forgive yourself. You will suffer a guilt that will be impossible to endure.
[Klaus grabs Elijah's arm and forces him to look at him, but Elijah just sighs and gives him an unimpressed look]
- Klaus: A terrible fate for one who cannot die.
- Elijah: Nothing will happen to that child. But, we have to consider every weapon at our disposal, brother. Dahlia is coming.
[The camera cuts to the nursery, where Hope is sleeping soundly in her crib]
- Elijah: [voiceover] The only question is when.
[As Hope sleeps, the Dahlia's voice can be heard humming the same tune from earlier in the episode. We flash back to the Kingdom of Norway, 977 A.D., when Dahlia hummed the tune to Freya after she bonded them together so she could draw on her magic]
[In the present day, the music box on the nightstand next to Hope's crib magically winds itself up and starts playing the same tune Dahlia was humming. After a moment, the curtains begin to billow around as a breeze suddenly blows through the open window]