|“||I slept a hundred years, and now, finally, I'm free. Tell our brothers I'll be coming to see them soon, and I expect nothing less than their best behavior.||”|
THE GIRL IN BLACK — After a series of strange encounters, Rebekah becomes intrigued by a mysterious girl who has recently arrived to the insane asylum. At the bayou, Hayley struggles with coming clean to Jackson about the secrets she’s keeping and is surprised when he shares his own secret involving Hayley’s parents. Meanwhile, after learning the details of a particular marriage ritual that Hayley and Jackson must complete, Klaus heads to the bayou to put an end to it, but not before running into Jackson’s grandmother Mary. Elsewhere, Finn remains determined to uncover the secret he knows Klaus is hiding and sets his eyes on Marcel for answers. Lastly, when Davina discovers that Josh and Marcel are in danger, she enlists the help of Kol and Aiden to rescue them.
Key: * Archive footage only
- Antagonists: Finn, Klaus, Cassie & The Kindred Coven.
- Rebekah escapes from the Fauline Cottage with help from Freya, who reveals herself as a powerful witch capable of easily destroying the spell placed on the cottage and taking out several Kindred members and a Harvest girl with no difficulty when they attacked Rebekah.
- Freya tells Rebekah that they are sisters and that they had met the day Klaus had stabbed Kol in 1914, when she had been his witch date. She had wanted to see who her family was and, while Rebekah impressed her with her courage and care for others, she wasn't as impressed by their brothers.
- Freya then leaves Rebekah, telling her that she would visit their brothers soon.
- Finn figures out that Hope is still alive after Marcel is unable to remember how she died because of Klaus' compulsion. He plans to use him and his vampires to help him find and kill Hope to prevent Dahlia's return.
- Kol is hexed by Finn with a curse that will not only kill him in a matter of days, but that also traps him in his body so he cannot body jump, as Finn knows that death is the thing Kol fears the most.
- Hayley tells Jackson the truth about Hope, after much argument and physical violence on Klaus' part to dissuade her.
- According to Hayley, more than half the werewolves in New Orleans have remained loyal to Finn and the witches.
- Cassie was spying on Rebekah for the Kindred and revealed her treachery the night they were meant to escape. Cassie was killed by Freya for this betrayal, as Freya stated that she loathed traitors.
- As of this episode, Davina is the last remaining Harvest witch.
- The last time we've seen Rebekah and Cassie was in the episode Gonna Set Your Flag On Fire.
- Dahlia and Young Freya were last seen in the Wheel Inside the Wheel flashback, where they were seen as a flash of Esther's memories.
- This episode marks Steven Krueger's 20th appearance as Josh.
- New Orleans, Louisiana
Behind the ScenesEdit
- This episode had about 1.47 million viewers in the USA.
- Sanctuary is a place where someone or something is given shelter.
- Sanctuary also refers to Dowager Fauline's house, where witches such as Cassie reside.
- Sanctuary is also the title theme song by Darling Violeta to the similar themed early 2000s show Angel.
- Sanctuary. Is a song from the nu metal band Korn. The song was released in 2011 off their The Path of Totality album.
- Rebekah: (to Cassie about Freya) "I went into the room with the locked door. There's something in there. Someone. I'm not sure who she is, or why she's here, and I don't care. The point is, she's strong. I mean, I didn't even know what witch power felt like, and still, I could sense it coming out of that room in waves. You and I can channel her and bust free of this loony-bin."
- Rebekah: "Anything good on?"
- Freya: (watching Tom & Jerry on television) "These paintings can move! They depict a rodent breaking the bones of a rather tenacious feline!"
- Rebekah: "They're just cartoons."
- Finn: (to an unconscious Marcel)"How the mighty have fallen. Simple bit of magic, and the once-mighty vampires lie before me. How does it feel? Hunger so intense, it's like shards of glass creeping through your veins. Of course, they have you to thank. You led them to this. But, perhaps you still may be able to save them. In a thousand years, you are the closest my brother has come to making a friend. And, I wonder... what secrets did he share with you? And what do I need to do to you in order to tear those secrets free?"
- Mary: "What do you want?"
- Klaus: "Well, we could start with some common courtesy. You could invite me in?"
- Mary: "Not likely, vampire."
- Klaus: "I'm a hybrid, dear! Half-wolf. You and I could be distant relatives, for all you know!"
- Freya: "You helped me. Why?"
- Rebekah: "Because I'm a bloody fool. And maybe I just like the idea of us girls sticking together."