The Salvatore Boarding School for the Young & Gifted (formerly known as The Salvatore Boarding House) was built in 1914 and is the former home to members of the Salvatore Family and the Gilbert Family before being a school. Damon Salvatore, Stefan Salvatore and Caroline Forbes were the main residents. Jeremy Gilbert also used to live here in season 5, but he later moved in the Lockwood Mansion. The Boarding House is said to be one of the creepiest places in Mystic Falls. The house is lately donated to Caroline Forbes by Damon Salvatore, in the honor of Stefan.
Over the years, the house was used as a place where visitors could stay, though this changed when Stefan and Damon returned to Mystic Falls. Caroline Forbes still lives permanently in the house, even after her husband Stefan's death. Elena's Coffin used to be located there.
After Stefan's death to stop Katherine from destroying Mystic Falls, Caroline (as Stefan's widow) chose to reopen the Boarding House as the 'Salvatore Boarding School for the Young & Gifted', a school for untrained witches, werewolves, and any person who had been adversely hit by the supernatural. She ran this school with help from Alaric Saltzman, who had the idea a few days earlier, Dorian Williams, who had lost his parents to vampires, and Jeremy Gilbert who finally returned to Mystic Falls. Caroline and Alaric's daughters, Gemini witches Josie and Lizzie Saltzman, were the first students enrolled in the school.
Sometime after it's opening, the school received a generous donation of three million dollars from Klaus Mikaelson.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
It is implied that Stefan had once lived in the Salvatore Boarding House many years ago before his return to Mystic Falls in Season One, as he leaves almost everything he owns there until his next visit. His brother, Damon Salvatore, may have resided at the Boarding House prior to his appearance in the pilot as he is seen entering the house without an invitation.
Locked cells are shown located in the basement of the house, and were most probably originally built so that vampires could be detained if they were to be caught. Both Damon and Stefan are locked up within the first season.
In Plan B, Mason is tortured and killed inside the Boarding House.
Throughout the season, the Boarding House continued to be one of the prime locations where murder, torture, and characters' returns to Mystic Falls occurred.
In Know Thy Enemy the Salvatore brothers offer Elena the deed to the house and she accepts. This is done so that Elena has a safe place to live, away from Klaus, and the other Originals. The deed is later broken when Elena dies in the sacrifice ritual.
In Pictures of You, Elena moves in with Rebekah. In the end, she is vervained by Stefan and Damon and locked in a cell in the basement.
In She's Come Undone, Elena moves back in.
In I Know What You Did Last Summer, it is revealed that Jeremy has moved into the boarding house during the summer.
Katherine Pierce has moved since she was kicked of Elena's dorm room.
- According to Damon, there are 7 bedrooms in the house. "There are 6 other bedrooms in this house... go find one." — Damon to Katherine in The House Guest
- Elena and Damon's bedroom.
- Stefan and Caroline's bedroom.
- Jeremy's former bedroom.
- 4 others bedrooms.
- The Kitchen is seen for the first time in Yellow Ledbetter.
- In the early episodes, before any scene inside the house, a shot of the outside would be shown. However, it is no longer used.
- Zach Salvatore was the owner of the house, but was killed by Damon in Season One. In Season Two, Stefan and Damon decided to make Elena the new owner to protect her.
- After Zach's death, all vampires and hybrids were able to enter the house, example:
- Unfortunately, Elena was killed by Klaus and now any vampire can enter the house even if she is still alive, example:
- Before the beginning of the series, Jason Harris wanted to stay at the Salvatore Boarding House, but the owner Zach, closed it down and made all the residents leave because he had family coming (Stefan and Damon).
- The real address is 684 Abernathy Rd NE, Sandy Springs, Georgia, USA.
- Glenridge Hall in Sandy Springs was demolished on April 9, 2015. 
- In Season 7 the exterior of house was not seen as stock footage, only the interior was seen.
- It seems that Elena stays in Damon's room.
- The Salvatore Boarding House has been featured in every season of TVD.
- The house was also featured in every season premiere, mid-season finale and season finale.
- It is also a location to be featured the most with 148 appearances out of 171 episodes.