The Salvatore Boarding House was built in 1914 and is home to members of the Salvatore Family and recently the Gilbert Family. Stefan Salvatore and Elena Gilbert are the current residents. Jeremy Gilbert also used to live here but he later moved in the Lockwood Mansion. The Boarding House is said to be one of the creepiest places in Mystic Falls.
Over the years, the house was used as a place where visitors could stay, though this changed when Stefan and Damon returned to Mystic Falls.
Throughout The Series
It is implied that Stefan had once lived in the Salvatore Boarding House many years ago before his return to Mystic Falls in Season One, as he leaves almost everything he owns there until his next visit. His brother, Damon Salvatore, may have resided at the Boarding House prior to his appearance in the pilot as he is seen entering the house without an invitation.
Locked cells are shown located in the basement of the house, and were most probably originally built so that vampires could be detained if they were to be caught. Both Damon and Stefan are locked up within the first season.
In Plan B, Mason is tortured and killed inside the Boarding House.
Throughout the season, the Boarding House continued to be one of the prime locations where murder, torture, and characters' returns to Mystic Falls occurred.
In Know Thy Enemy the Salvatore brothers offer Elena the deed to the house and she accepts. This is done so that Elena has a safe place to live, away from Klaus, and the other Originals. The deed is later broken when Elena dies in the sacrifice ritual.
In Pictures of You, Elena moves in with Rebekah. In the end, she is vervained by Stefan and Damon and locked in a cell in the basement.
In She's Come Undone, Elena moves back in.
In I Know What You Did Last Summer, it is revealed that Jeremy has moved into the Boarding House during the summer.
Katherine Pierce has moved since she was kicked of Elena's dorm room.
In the house, they have 7 bedrooms.
- Elena and Damon's bedroom. (They share the same bedroom)
- Stefan's bedroom.
- Jeremy's bedroom. Jeremy will probably have his own bedroom because he will live there permanently.
- 4 others bedrooms.
- In the early episodes, before any scene inside the house, a shot of the outside would be shown. However, it is no longer used.
- According to Damon, there are 7 bedrooms in the house. "There are 6 other bedrooms in this house... go find one"
- Zach Salvatore was the owner of the house, but was killed by Damon in Season One. In Season Two, Stefan and Damon decided to make Elena the new owner to protect her.
- After Zach's death, all vampires and hybrids were able to enter the house, example:
- Unfortunately, Elena was killed by Klaus and now any vampire can enter the house even if she is still alive, example:
- Before the beginning of the series, Jason Harris wanted to stay at the Salvatore Boarding House, but the owner Zach, closed it down and made all the residents leave because he had family coming (Stefan and Damon).
- The real address is 684 Abernathy Rd NE, Sandy Springs, Georgia, USA.
- It seems that Elena stays in Damon's room.