|This article is about Rose, an episode in season two. You may be looking for Rose, the character.|
|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 8|
|Air date||November 4th 2010|
|Written by||Brian Young|
|Directed by||Liz Friedlander|
|Episode Guide transcript|
Rose is the eighth episode of the Second Season and the thirtieth episode in the series.
SummaryEditAN ANCIENT PRESENCE IN MYSTIC FALLS — Stefan and Damon come to Elena’s assistance and, in the process, learns surprising new information about people, vampires and events in the distant past, things that aren't what they wanted to hear. Jeremy helps Bonnie after she casts a difficult and exhausting spell and Caroline does what she can to make things easier for Tyler. Finally, Stefan and Damon reach a new understanding.
|The episode starts with a dark car pulling up to a deserted parking, a man hopping out of the car and the mask that was on the person that attacked Elena in the previous episode is seen laying in the backseat of the car. The attacker goes to the boot of his car and opens it, showing Elena unconscious laying in it. Walking over to the other car in the lot, the window rolls down and a man inside wearing dark clothes and sunglasses says, "Where is she?". He then tells the other man to put her in the back of his car. He then places an unconscious Elena in the back of the car. The man in the car then tells the other man to come closer. He then feeds off of the man killing him in the process, and drives off with Elena.
The scene then jumps to Damon and Caroline. Damon is at Caroline's house, discussing the night before, with Sarah's death, and Tyler's activation of the curse. Caroline says she doesn't believe Tyler knows much of anything, and leaves. Damon says that Tyler must know something, and Caroline says okay, and that she'll ask him. Damon then runs up to Caroline and grabs her throat. He says, "No you won't, Caroline. He can't know about us. A bite from a werewolf can kill a vampire, so don't be his friend." The two then leave Caroline's house.
In the next scene, Tyler is arriving at school, and is looking at missing posters for Aimee, and is also watching students place flowers and cards by Sarah's locker. He then walks up to his locker and dials his combination, but accidentally pulls the lock right off of his locker. Then the camera goes to Stefan and Jeremy. Jeremy tells Stefan that Elena needs to let him know if she's spending the night at Stefan's. Stefan then says that Elena didn't sleep over, to which Jeremy says that Elena's bed hadn't been slept in, and that her car was still at the Lockwood's. The two are then wondering where Elena could be.
Then the black car is seen driving into an old mansion. The man is then seen carrying Elena into the house until he puts her down on a couch, after which he unties her. She asks what he wants, and he says, "Shhhh." He says he wants "just a taste" of Elena and gets close to biting her before a woman appears in the room, and yells "Trevor!" (So the man is now identified as Trevor). Trevor then walks away. The woman than tells Elena, "My gosh, you look just like her." Elena then says, "But I'm not her!" The woman tells Elena to be quiet. Elena then says, "What do you want?!" The woman then slaps Elena backwards onto the couch and says, "I want you to be quiet."
Stefan and Damon are then seen talking at a park, and Damon tells Stefan that before he put Katherine in the tomb, she told him that Elena was in danger. Stefan says he needs to go talk to her (Katherine) and Damon says it's a bad idea. Stefan then responds with, "It's Elena," and walks away. Then Caroline and Tyler are seen talking at school. Tyler asks Caroline how she knew (about him), but she covers it up by saying, "How I knew you were upset?" She pretends to be innocent, and she walks again, with Tyler still wondering how she knew about him.
Elena then wakes up and hears the woman and Trevor talking. The woman tells Trevor that she sent the message to a man named Elijah, and says that they'll have to wait and see if he got it. Trevor suggests that they leave her (Elena) at the house, and run, because it keeps them from dying. The woman sees Elena trying to sneak off and stops her. Elena asks who Elijah is, and the woman responds with, "Your worst nightmare." Then Stefan is seen talking to Bonnie, who tells him that she can't undo the tomb spell. Stefan says he can still open the door, and needs to talk to Katherine to find out where Elena is. Bonnie tells him that Damon is right, and that Katherine won't tell him anything. Bonnie says, "What if there was another way to find her?" Bonnie is then in a room with Stefan and Jeremy. She cuts Jeremy's hand and puts his blood on a map, and is able to do a spell that makes a trail on the map with his blood that points to Elena's location. Damon then shows up and says he's going with Stefan. A drop of blood appears on the map, and Bonnie wipes her nose to see if there is a nosebleed, but there isn't.
Then Caroline and Tyler are seen talking. Tyler says Caroline lied to him earlier. She says that she thinks he misunderstood her at the party. She starts to walk away, but Tyler grabs her. She is faster and stronger, and pushes him away by twisting his arm. He says she is stronger than him, and that if she knows something she needs to tell him. Tyler then angrily walks away, and kicks a trashcan, which hits a car and sets off the alarm. Caroline looks at him, and they both walk away. Then Stefan and Damon are seen in a car, and Stefan thanks Damon for coming, but says he knows it wasn't for him. Stefan then says it's because he loves Elena.
Trevor, a vampire, compels a human to kidnap Elena. Jeremy speaks with Stefan about Elena's absence, thinking she spent the night with Stefan. They ask Bonnie for help to locate Elena and finds her at an old house miles away from Mystic Falls. It turns out Rose (a loyal vampire friends of Trevor) and Trevor kidnapped Brandy to make a deal with Elijah, one of The Originals, in exchange for their own freedom. Rose shares interesting information about Katherine with Elena. Meanwhile, Damon and Stefan are on their way to rescue Elena. Damon is surprise to see Stefan drinking blood again and asks if Elena knows about it. Stefan then tells him that he's drinking from hers. Then, Bonnie tells Jeremy that witches also have weaknesses. Tyler is struggling being a werewolf and seeks Caroline's help. Rose called for Elijah. When he sees Elena and was surprised that she's a Petrova doppelgänger and a human. Elijah frees Rose but kills Trevor. Elena tries to make a deal with him with the moonstone but failed. Elijah removes her vervain necklace and compels her to tell him where it is. When he's about to take Elena, Stefan and Damon show up and stake Elijah. They return back to Mystic Falls, and Rose confronts Stefan and confesses that Klaus will come for Elena. When Elena is getting ready for bed, Damon appears holding her necklace. He confesses his love for Elena but says his brother deserves her, so he compels her to forget it and in a second, he leaves, leaving the necklace on her neck. Elena is left uncertain how she got it back. Elijah, meanwhile is shown to still be alive, unharmed from the staking.
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan (credit only)
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood
- Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers (credit only)
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman (credit only)
- Antagonist: Elijah Mikaelson
- It is not explained how Rose and Trevor tracked down Elena, leaving it up to the imagination of the viewer.
- This is the second episode to be named after a character, the first being Isobel.
- This episode marks the first mention of Klaus, an important character from the books.
- This episode marks the first mention of The Originals (The Old Ones, the pureblood vampires in the books).
- Jeremy didn't seem surprised when they asked for his blood to find Elena, which suggests that Elena told him off-screen about her relation with his uncle John Gilbert, making them cousins.
- Elena would not remember her compulsion until the first episode of Season Four.
- This is the first episode of the second chapter, The Werewolf Chapter.
- This episode had 3.56 million viewers in USA making it the most watched episode of Season Two.
- Katherine, Jenna, Alaric and Matt do not appear in this episode, but Alaric is strongly mentioned twice. Katherine is mentioned almost exclusively by her birth name, "Katerina Petrova", throughout the episode.
- This is the first appearances of Trevor, Rose and Elijah on the show.
- This episode is the first time Elena was ever compelled, first by Elijah and second by Damon.
- Elijah meets Elena, Stefan and Damon in this episode.
- "The Elephant in the Room" is an idiomatic expression that refers to an obvious truth or problem nobody wants to address. It is used when the subject is emotionally charged. It might have its origin in Mark Twain's 1882 story "The Stolen White Elephant". Coincidentally, one of the characters in this story is a detective called Alaric.
- Damon: "I just need to say it once. You just need to hear it. I love you, Elena. And it's because I love you, that I can't be selfish with you. Why you can't know this. I don't deserve you...but my brother does. God, I wish you didn't have to forget this...but you do."
- Stefan: "I'm sorry."
- Damon: "About what?"
- Stefan: "About being the guy that made you turn 145 years ago... what I did was selfish. I didn't wanna be alone. Guess I just needed my brother."
- Elijah: Rose-Marie, is there somewhere we can talk?
- Damon: "Elena know you've been drinking blood?"
- Stefan: "I've been drinking hers."
- Damon: "How romantic."
- Jeremy: "When I'm worn down, I take a nap. You were unconscious."
- Stefan: "Thank you for helping me"
- Damon: "Can we not do the whole road trip bonding thing? The cliche of it all makes me itch."
- Stefan: "Oh, come on, Damon. We both know that you being in this car has absolutely nothing to do with me, anyway."
- Damon: "The elephant in the room lets out a mighty roar."
- Stefan: "Well, it doesn't have to be an elephant. Let's talk about it."
- Damon: "There's nothing to talk about."
- Stefan: "That's not true. Sure there is. Let's get it out. I mean, are you in this car because you want to help your little brother save the woman he loves or is it because......because you love her too? I mean, come on. Express yourself. I happen to like road-trip bonding."
- Damon: "Keep it up, Stefan. I can step out of helping as easily as I stepped in."
- Stefan: ''"Nope. See, that's the beauty of it. You can't."