|This article is about Rose, an episode in season two. You may be looking for Rose, the character.|
|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 8|
|Air date||November 4, 2010|
|Written by||Brian Young|
|Directed by||Liz Friedlander|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
AN ANCIENT PRESENCE IN MYSTIC FALLS — Stefan and Damon come to Elena’s assistance and, in the process, learn surprising new information about people, vampires and events in the distant past, things that aren't what they wanted to hear. Jeremy helps Bonnie after she casts a difficult and exhausting spell and Caroline does what she can to make things easier for Tyler. Finally, Stefan and Damon reach a new understanding.
|The episode starts with a dark car pulling up to a deserted parking area, a man hopping out of the car and the mask that was on the person that attacked Elena in the previous episode is seen laying in the backseat of the car. The attacker goes to the boot of his car and opens it, showing Elena unconscious laying in it. Walking over to the other car in the lot, the window rolls down and a man inside wearing dark clothes and sunglasses says, "Where is she?". He then tells the other man to put her in the back of his car. He then places an unconscious Elena in the back of the car. The man in the car then tells the other man to come closer. He then feeds off of the man killing him in the process, and drives off with Elena.
The scene then jumps to Damon and Caroline. Damon is at Caroline's house, discussing the night before, with Sarah's death and Tyler's activation of the curse. Caroline says she doesn't believe Tyler knows much of anything and leaves. Damon says that Tyler must know something, and Caroline says okay and that she'll ask him. Damon then runs up to Caroline and grabs her collar and scarf. He says, "No, you won't, Caroline. He can't know about us. A bite from a werewolf can kill a vampire, so don't be his friend." The two then leave Caroline's house.
In the next scene, Tyler is arriving at school, looking at missing posters for Aimee and is also watching students place flowers and cards by Sarah's locker. He then walks up to his locker and dials his combination, but accidentally pulls the lock right off of his locker. Then the camera goes to Stefan and Jeremy. Jeremy tells Stefan that Elena needs to let him know if she's spending the night at Stefan's. Stefan then says that Elena didn't sleep over, to which Jeremy says that Elena's bed hadn't been slept in and that her car was still at the Lockwood's. The two are then wondering where Elena could be.
Then the black car is seen driving into an old mansion. The man is seen carrying Elena into the house until he puts her down on a couch, after which he unties her. She asks what he wants, and he says, "Shhhh." He says he wants "just a taste" of Elena and gets close to biting her before a woman appears in the room and yells, "Trevor!" (So the man is now identified as Trevor). Trevor then walks away. The woman than tells Elena, "My gosh, you look just like her." Elena then says, "But I'm not her!" The woman tells Elena to be quiet. Elena then says, "What do you want?!" The woman then slaps Elena backwards onto the couch and says, "I want you to be quiet."
Stefan and Damon are then seen talking at a park and Damon tells Stefan that before he put Katherine in the tomb, she told him that Elena was in danger. Stefan says he needs to go talk to her (Katherine) and Damon says it's a bad idea. Stefan then responds with, "It's Elena," and walks away. Then Caroline and Tyler are seen talking at school. Tyler asks Caroline how she knew (about him), but she covers it up by saying, "How I knew you were upset?" She pretends to be innocent and walks away, with leaving Tyler still wondering how she knew about him.
Elena then wakes up and hears the woman and Trevor talking. The woman tells Trevor that she sent the message to a man named Elijah and says that they'll have to wait and see if he got it. Trevor suggests that they leave her (Elena) at the house and run, because it keeps them from dying. The woman sees Elena trying to sneak off and stops her. Elena asks who Elijah is, and the woman responds with, "Your worst nightmare." It turns out Rose (a loyal vampire friend of Trevor) and Trevor kidnapped Elena to make a deal with Elijah, one of The Originals, in exchange for their own freedom. Rose shares interesting information about Katherine with Elena.
Then Stefan is seen talking to Bonnie, who tells him that she can't undo the tomb spell. Stefan says he can still open the door and that he needs to talk to Katherine to find out where Elena is. Bonnie tells him that Damon is right, and that Katherine won't tell him anything. Bonnie says, "What if there was another way to find her?" Bonnie is then in a room with Stefan and Jeremy. She cuts Jeremy's hand and puts his blood on a map, and is able to do a spell that makes a trail on the map with his blood that points to Elena's location. Damon then shows up and says he's going with Stefan. Unnoticed by the others, a drop of blood appears on the map and Bonnie wipes her nose to hide her nosebleed.
Then Caroline and Tyler are seen talking. Tyler says Caroline lied to him earlier. She says that she thinks he misunderstood her at the party. She starts to walk away, but Tyler grabs her. She is faster and stronger, managing to push him away by twisting his arm. He says she is stronger than him, and that if she knows something she needs to tell him. Tyler then angrily walks away and kicks a trashcan, which hits a car and sets off the alarm. Caroline looks at him, and they both walk away. Later at her house, Tyler confronts Caroline believing that she is a werewolf like him. When she laughs at this idea, he gets angry and she reveals herself to be a vampire.
Then Stefan and Damon are seen in a car, and Stefan thanks Damon for coming, but says he knows it wasn't for him. Stefan then says it's because he loves Elena. Damon is surprise to see Stefan drinking blood again and asks if Elena knows about it. Stefan then tells him that he's been drinking hers, in small doses, to build up his tolerance.
Back in Mystic Falls, Bonnie and Jeremy talk, and she decides to send a message (via magic) to Elena that help is coming. The spell causes Bonnie to have another nosebleed and to fall unconscious. When she recovers, Bonnie tells Jeremy that witches also have weaknesses and that no one can know—especially Damon.
Elijah arrives and Rose takes him to see Elena. He is surprised by her appearance but quickly concludes that she's a Petrova doppelgänger and a human. Elijah frees Rose but kills Trevor. Elena tries to make a deal with him, using the moonstone's location as a bargaining chip. However, Elijah removes her vervain necklace and compels her to tell him where it is. Just as he is about to leave with Elena, Stefan and Damon show up. Elijah is attacked by the Salvatores and after a brief fight he is staked by Damon. Roses sees this and flees.
The brothers and Elena return to Mystic Falls, where Rose confronts Stefan at his home and warns that Klaus will come for Elena. At the Gilbert house, Elena is getting ready for bed when Damon appears holding her necklace. He confesses his love for her and saying while he doesn't deserve her, his brother does. He says that that he wishes she could remember this, but that she can't and—shedding a tear—compels her to forget what he just told her. Elena is left bewildered—uncertain how she is wearing the necklace again. Meanwhile, Elijah revives and removes the stake from his own heart.
- Antagonist: Elijah Mikaelson.
- This is the first episode to feature Elijah as an antagonist.
- This is Elijah Mikaelson's first episode appearance in the series.
- With one word (four letters), this episode, along with Home, has the shortest title of either series.
- It is not explained how Rose and Trevor tracked down Elena, leaving it up to the imagination of the viewer.
- This is the second episode to be named after a character, the first being Isobel in Season One.
- This episode marks the first mention of Klaus, an important character from the books.
- This episode marks the first mention of the Originals (The Old Ones, the pure-blood vampires in the books).
- Elena would not remember the fact that she was compelled by Elijah to tell him the whereabouts of Katherine until the first episode of Season Four.
- Elena was also compelled by Damon to forget the fact that he admitted that though he was in love with her, he didn't deserve her, but Stefan did.
- She would later remember this scene in vivid detail in Season Four's Growing Pains while she was in transition to become a vampire.
- This is also the first time in the series that Damon himself admits to Elena that he is in love with her.
- This is the first episode of the second chapter of Season Two, The Werewolf Chapter.
- Katherine, Jenna, Alaric and Matt do not appear in this episode, but Alaric is mentioned twice. Katherine is referred to almost exclusively by her birth name, Katerina Petrova, throughout the episode.
- This episode marks the first appearances of Trevor, Rose and Elijah on the show.
- This episode features the first and second instances of Elena being compelled; first by Elijah and then by Damon. However, the Season Three finale would later reveal that she had met and been compelled by Damon once before, right before the accident that killed her parents.
- Damon confesses to Elena that he's in love with her for the first time in the series, though countless others had pointed it out before now.
- Elijah meets Elena, Stefan and Damon for the first time in this episode.
- He also learns that another human Petrova doppelgänger existed after Katherine was turned into a vampire, something that he thought impossible until this episode.
- The Original vampires are introduced in this episode, though much of what they learn is simply rumor and legend. However, the connections between the "Original Family," Katherine, and the Petrova doppelgänger line will become a major story line throughout the second and third season.
- "The Elephant in the Room" is an idiomatic expression that refers to an obvious truth or problem nobody wants to address. It is used when the subject is emotionally charged. It might have its origin in Mark Twain's 1882 short story "The Stolen White Elephant". Coincidentally, one of the characters in this story is a detective called Alaric.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.633 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.143 million more than the previous episode, making it the most watched episode of Season Two.
- Damon: "I just need to say it once. You just need to hear it. I love you, Elena. And it's because I love you, that I can't be selfish with you. Why you can't know this. I don't deserve you... but my brother does. God, I wish you didn't have to forget this... but you do."
- Stefan: "I'm sorry."
- Damon: "About what?"
- Stefan: "About being the guy that made you turn 145 years ago. What I did was selfish. I didn't wanna be alone. Guess I just needed my brother."
- Elijah: "Rose-Marie, is there somewhere we can talk?"
- Damon: "Elena know you've been drinking blood?"
- Stefan: "I've been drinking hers."
- Damon: (rolls his eyes) "How romantic."
- Jeremy: "When I'm worn down, I take a nap. You were unconscious."
- Stefan: "Thank you for helping me"
- Damon: "Can we not do the whole road-trip-bonding thing? The cliché of it all makes me itch."
- Stefan: "Oh, come on, Damon. We both know that you being in this car has absolutely nothing to do with me, anyway."
- Damon: (mockingly) "The elephant in the room lets out a mighty roar."
- Stefan: "Well, it doesn't have to be an elephant. Let's talk about it."
- Damon: "There's nothing to talk about."
- Stefan: "That's not true. Sure there is. Let's get it out. I mean, are you in this car because you want to help your little brother save the woman he loves or is it because... because you love her, too? I mean, come on. Express yourself. I happen to like road-trip bonding."
- Damon: "Keep it up, Stefan. I can step out of helping as easily as I stepped in."
- Stefan: "Nope. See, that's the beauty of it-- you can't."